• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*** PSP Native Store / fw.5.00 launch thread ***

So I got my PSP 3000 today, and I'm guessing what Sony means by that the XMB design has been changed is that it's being updated to the version that's already in the PSP 3000's firmware. Basically, from what I can tell from a single use, the color of the month is a gradient of yellow to orange on the 3000, versus solid yellow for October on the 2000.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
has anyone bought PS1 game from the playstation store to play on your PSP. how do they run? control issues?

distrbnce

Banned
Mr. Wonderful said:
So I got my PSP 3000 today, and I'm guessing what Sony means by that the XMB design has been changed is that it's being updated to the version that's already in the PSP 3000's firmware. Basically, from what I can tell from a single use, the color of the month is a gradient of yellow to orange on the 3000, versus solid yellow for October on the 2000.

are the background waves more similar to the PS3? That's kinda what I was expecting.

And is the gradient changing with the time of day?

Also, what about the music visualizers changed with 4.05 (i think that's the last update)

I installed it earlier thinking 5 wouldn't show 'til I did, and I think that was the only change. But I don't notice anything new - unless it's something you have to wait for like the bubbly one turning all rainbow after a minute.

Tashi0106 said:
has anyone bought PS1 game from the playstation store to play on your PSP. how do they run? control issues?

I've bought three games. The only control problem that can be weird is because there is no R2/L2 some of the games require a slightly different control scheme in case those buttons are used. They handle it in a pretty good way, they give you a few different options to account for those buttons being missing. None of the games I've download have required those buttons in any fast twitch sort of way, so it hasn't been an issue for me.

distrbnce said:
are the background waves more similar to the PS3? That's kinda what I was expecting.

And is the gradient changing with the time of day?
No, just checked. They don't change with the time of day.

I played around with the theme settings on both my PSP 2000 and my PSP 3000, and both are set to "By Month" for color. However, going through the colors on the PSP 3000, the color seen on the 3000 screen is the second "Yellow" option, where as both yellows look almost identical on the 2000 screen, the top one being just a little bit more washed out.

A pic:
zx0dn7.jpg

The 3000 is the more orange one, and in reality, it's a lot more yellow. For whatever reason, I couldn't capture the gradient.

distrbnce

Banned
Mr. Wonderful said:

I played around with the theme settings on both my PSP 2000 and my PSP 3000, and both are set to "By Month" for color. However, going through the colors on the PSP 3000, the color seen on the 3000 screen is the second "Yellow" option, where as both yellows look almost identical on the 2000 screen, the top one being just a little bit more washed out.

A pic:
zx0dn7.jpg

The 3000 is the more orange one, and in reality, it's a lot more yellow. For whatever reason, I couldn't capture the gradient.

So how brilliant is that screen? Worth a trade-in/upgrade?

Mar

Has there been any news of the original Silent Hill getting a 'download release'? I'd bite if they ever did that. I'd finally figure out how to get my PSP connected to my wireless network too.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Tashi0106 said:
The games I've bought run well (Crash, Warhawk, SOTN, Jet Moto, Rayman) and most don't really have control issues since they mostly predate the Dual Shock.

distrbnce said:

I'm can't really say whether or not it would be worth the upgrade. What I can say is that I found all of the original background colors on the psp (I have the psp-1000) to be quite unpleasant for everyday use because of how they don't contrast well with the icons. When I first turned on the psp-3000 today, my thought was "Wow, why doesn't my original psp have this background color?" Then I went to my old psp and changed the background color back to the default which is "by month" or whatever... where it selects a different color for every month. Then I realized that my original psp has the same color, but it looked so radically different that you can't even compare them.

DMczaf

fosholv said:
I'm planning to get the Limited Edition Ratchet and Clank PSP Entertainment Pack from Best Buy but it only comes with a 1G memory stick. I thought Sony said 4G for the Entertainment Pack ?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9058299&type=product&id=1218013775051

Those are 2 seperate packs

The Ratchet and Clank Pack comes with:

Ratchet and Clank
1GB Memory Stick
Echochrome PSP
National Treasure 2 UMD

The 4GB Memory Pack (which was delayed til November) comes with:

4GB Memory Stick
Everyday Shooter PSP

Both are $199.99

Dizzan said:
Old games are ridiculously overpriced on the store though.

On PAL store, Killzone Liberation is $29.99 when you can pick up the umd for between 15 and 20.

Same with Burnout Legends and dominator.

Needs to be cheaper imo.

sighs, they are doing something great and then fail ;P honestly, they should sell them for 15-20 euros, its not like they would lose money :O

cheap downloadable games are good for impulsive buys ;P

jmd494

Roude Leiw said:
sighs, they are doing something great and then fail ;P honestly, they should sell them for 15-20 euros, its not like they would lose money :O

cheap downloadable games are good for impulsive buys ;P
That would set a dangerous precedent for Sony though. People would start to expect discount prices which would turn people off to full-priced games...which would push devs away.

Justin Dailey said:
That would set a dangerous precedent for Sony though. People would start to expect discount prices which would turn people off to full-priced games...which would push devs away.

Except digital distribution does away with material costs for UMD's, cases, manuals, etc. Some of that should be reflected in the price I would think.

jmd494

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Except digital distribution does away with material costs for UMD's, cases, manuals, etc. Some of that should be reflected in the price I would think.
Yeah true...I just personally hope PSP games start getting trophy support + PSP trophies integrate into the PS3 trophy card (i.e. I can see my PSP trophies on PS3)

Justin Dailey said:
Yeah true...I just personally hope PSP games start getting trophy support + PSP trophies integrate into the PS3 trophy card (i.e. I can see my PSP trophies on PS3)

That would be nice but how many games would actually support that?

jmd494

DMeisterJ said:
PSP friends lists, and trophies would be so full of win.
Holy shit you just gave me an idea (probably not the first to have this idea...but still...)

It would be great if you could use your PSP to message friends while you played on the PS3.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Mr. Wonderful said:

A pic:
zx0dn7.jpg

How does the 3000 feel compared to the Slim? I always feel like the sharp edges of the Slim are digging into my hands after lengthy play sessions. Does the slight rounding of the edges help at all?

Also, the silver is a different tone from what I'm hearing. Is it noticeable?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
sounds encouraging....I'm dying for a Gran Turismo to play for the PSP...please Sony gimme Gran Turismo 2 to download for PSP!!

DMeisterJ

Banned
Ermac said:
How does the 3000 feel compared to the Slim? I always feel like the sharp edges of the Slim are digging into my hands after lengthy play sessions. Does the slight rounding of the edges help at all?

I don't have the system, but apparently the silver finish is matte rather than shiny.

Ramune

BoilersFan23 said:
Actually, not really. There's a report Best Buy cannot sell them until 10/26/08, and there are still some Blockbuster locations that don't have them. I could be wrong, but I thought 7/11 was removed from the list of retailers carrying the cards? Those in the Midwest can still easily mind them and most Blockbusters still have them. I just know this since I know some who still can't get one.

Anyway, the PS Store looks pretty cool on PSP (I watched the video on PS Blog). I don't expect PS3 friends on PSP due to WiFi using up a lot of battery to keep running probably (and I don't know the capabilities of PSP to keep it running either).

I might download more stuff to the PSP because of it now. :D

Weird, all the Best Buy stores I've visited the past few weeks had PSN cards right there with all the other usual suspects (iTunes, Xbox Live, misc. gift cards, etc.).

Hcoregamer00 said:
The matte design is great.

I love it. I hated the old silver one. I actually chose to get the silver pack even though the stuff you get with it is garbage. I'd much rather have Everyday Shooter and a 4gb memory stick, but the new silver one looks so good that I went for it. It's beautiful.

Ermac said:

Honestly, the edges have never bothered me, and I don't want to say there is a difference. The silver is indeed matte, instead of the normal glossy PSP finish. The best word to describe how it feels is "plasticy." My first reaction was that it made the device feel even cheaper, but from the few hours I've spent with it so far, it's really growing on me.

distrbnce said:
If you own a PSP 2000, no, unless you have the money to throw around or are a videophile like me. Basically, the screen has improved in every way, but the brightness isn't any better than the PSP 2000 or 1000, for that matter. Because of this, the impact made by the difference is really minimalized in what should have been a huge improvement. I know it's only one game, but you can judge for yourself with the pictures below:

More pictures:
mmr8kg.jpg

Here's a really good one showcasing the huge improvement in the screen's black level. In this blank screen before loading the game, the 2000's blacks are completely horrible, while the 3000's is almost pitch black. Very impressive.

2craoep.jpg

Here and in the next few, you can see the better color reproduction. Everything is simply more vibrant.

2en9jeq.jpg

2cqiioi.jpg

One thing that's quickly become apparent to me is that while the color reproduction is much better looking than the PSP 2000's, the 3000 screen seems to have a bit of a red push (where everything takes on a bit of a reddish tinge.) The second and third picture show this the best. Everything is a little too warm. This is a picky complaint, though, and the improvements in color reproduction more than make up for the issue.

Ghosting improvements are still half-to be determined. I played around with the camera a bit in Ratchet, and the PSP 3000's screen is a definite step up from the 2000's. Of course, being an LCD, there was still a tiny bit of image retention, but it's not nearly as bad as the ugly loss of resolution we saw in the original PSP screen. Like I said, I haven't really come to any conclusions yet on ghosting. I need to test it more.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
PhlivoSong said:
I love it. I hated the old silver one. I actually chose to get the silver pack even though the stuff you get with it is garbage. I'd much rather have Everyday Shooter and a 4gb memory stick, but the new silver one looks so good that I went for it. It's beautiful.

If I do buy another PSP down the line (which will come after a price drop to $150), I will definitely buy a black PSP. The matte black in the original PSP was freaking awesome, and to think that the entire console will have this finish gets me all giddy inside.

Shawn

Banned
Mr. Wonderful said:
Holy fucking, FUCK!! That is a HUGE difference in picture quality, especially the first pic showing the black level!

Oh man, I had no idea the difference was that extreme.

Top Bottom