• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*** PSP Native Store / fw.5.00 launch thread ***

Kuran

Banned
I'll never shed my materialistic streak, I don't mind buying some games digitally.. but totally giving up on the nice UMD cases?

Even if I just rip them as I get them in the mail.. it feels nice having the box with (at times) nice artwork.

Jim

duckroll said:
Remember what I said about upcoming first party PSP games -all- being downloadable some time back?

Not many people caught this also:

papapon2_trailer_price.jpg

Looks like some games may be cheaper also on the PS Store. (assuming I'm reading that right)

duckroll

Jim said:
Looks like some games may be cheaper also on the PS Store. (assuming I'm reading that right)

It's not just some. Back when Sony first announced Bleach Soul Carnival and Yuusha 2 for PSN, they confirmed that games on PS Store will be 1000yen cheaper than the retail package. That holds true for all first party titles. It remains to be seen how much Dissidia will be.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
What's the price on 16gb and 32gb sticks these days? And are the games priced the same as the UMD versions?

Phatcorns

Kuran said:
I'll never shed my materialistic streak, I don't mind buying some games digitally.. but totally giving up on the nice UMD cases?

Even if I just rip them as I get them in the mail.. it feels nice having the box with (at times) nice artwork.

I used to feel the same way, but I'm actually to the point now where I throw away my boxes. So I'm all about digital distribution so I stop wasting so much material.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
What I wouldn't give for a slightly updated version of Gripshift for download where the Track Editor includes a new interface for sharing tracks with other players directly over Wifi.

I'd buy it again for a (*counts on fingers*) fourth time, Mario!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
kaching said:
What I wouldn't give for a slightly updated version of Gripshift for download where the Track Editor includes a new interface for sharing tracks with other players directly over Wifi.

I'd buy it again for a (*counts on fingers*) fourth time, Mario!
Yes yes yes yes yes!

Guy Legend

I hope more companies release their catalog of already released PSP games on the PSN store (Sega Rally, Crazy Taxi, etc. for example). I still prefer having disc based media for consoles, but for a portable, it's far too inconvenient. Looks like the PSP is becoming a more desirable system, especially so since friends list and probably trophies will become integrated on it as well.

Chris_C

I still don't get how we're supposed to download games as large as a few hundred MB to 1.8GB using PSP's WiFi.

Don't get me wrong, I've wanted this for the longest time, but now that its here I'm wondering how practical it is.

I sort of hope Sony starts going on a PSN like rampage and releases a bunch of smaller 80MB ish games for PSP. Side scrolling platformers, simple RPG's etc.

Wollan

I'm wondering how downloads is done though. If it's like the initial PS3 firmware where if your connection was broken and you had to restart... the wait for 5.1 begins. I don't mind it too much if it can only download one item at a time atm but being able to continue from a interruption is an absolute must.

Jim

Chris_C said:
I still don't get how we're supposed to download games as large as a few hundred MB to 1.8GB using PSP's WiFi.

Don't get me wrong, I've wanted this for the longest time, but now that its here I'm wondering how practical it is.

There's always the option to do it via the PC for the larger content and transfer it over. At least they give you the option to do so. I do not expect there to be queueing options or background downloads for obvious reasons.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I got 2 4gig sticks atm, but they are already filled with ps1/psp games i just ripped :( I guess its time to get a few 8gig cards here soon lol

androvsky

Wollan said:
I'm wondering how downloads is done though. If it's like the initial PS3 firmware where if your connection was broken and you had to restart... the wait for 5.1 begins. I don't mind it too much if it can only download one item at a time atm but being able to continue from a interruption is an absolute must.

Currently the PSP can resume mp3 downloads through RSS if the connection is lost, so I'm hoping the PSP Store is at least that bright... :)

sounds awesome. okay i dont really know how sony is packaging their psp bundles at the moment, but they really need to bundle them now all with 2 or 4 gb memory sticks. and promote their new download service on flyers which they put into the psp boxes. people need to know about that.

and what about psn cards? are they already avaible in stores? many psp owners dont have bank cards so imo psn cards would really help.

Wollan

PSN cards are widely available in the US now via Best Buy, 7/11..etc. Japan as well.
Europe is still waiting.

Sony is doing a 4GB bundle with the new PSP 3000.

Chris_C

Jim said:
There's always the option to do it via the PC for the larger content and transfer it over. At least they give you the option to do so. I do not expect there to be queueing options or background downloads for obvious reasons.

Very true, that's one thing I'm pretty happy about this generation with regards to Sony's efforts.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Chris_C said:
Works fine for RSS Channel downloads, which may not run into gigs individually, but certainly can be 100s of megs at times. What exactly are you concerned about?

Chris_C

kaching said:
Works fine for RSS Channel downloads, which may not run into gigs individually, but certainly can be 100s of megs at times. What exactly are you concerned about?

It's possible the slow web browser is coloring my perception of the PSP's capabilities as a net connected device. I admit that I haven't used the RSS channel all that often.

Wollan

Download speed is purely judged on the wifi standard (B) like any device. PSP should be able to do up to 11Mbps.

Hi everyone, as Eric mentioned in his post yesterday, we wanted to give you a live demo of the PSP’s direct access to PlayStation Store, which will be coming with the 5.00 firmware update. Now whenever your PSP is connected to the Internet over WiFi, you’ll be able to download and enjoy the latest games, demos and trailers on the go without needing to sync up to your PS3 or PC. Here’s a brief walk-through of what you’ll experience.

In addition, I want to point out that the PlayStation Network is scheduled to be unavailable in North America today from 11AM to 4PM PST due to essential maintenance work.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/10/14/firmware-50-demo-playstation-store-on-psp

Chris_C

Wollan said:
Download speed is purely judged on the wifi standard (B) like any device. PSP should be able to do up to 11Mbps.

Thanks.

Anyone know if this update will also allow us to tunnel via PS3? My WiFi router doesn't play nice with my PSP (keep getting internet connection failures).

Jim

chubigans said:
I was worried that it would be internet based. Glad to see it isn't!

I don't like the text the way it's in the vid...I was hoping it would all fit. Gah.

Also, I hope there's background downloading, though I doubt it.

There's no way it wasn't going to be a mini version of the PS3 app. And yeah, looks like it works exactly as I expected. Looks great!

You only have 272 pixels of height to work with. So I can't imagine what else they could do with it.

Steroyd

Jeanne D'Arc

For the love of God Sony make this available in the EU store so I can pick it up when i've got the spare cash in December/January, I don't give a shit even if you charge. £20 :(

M3Freak

Banned
Jim said:

Ima screwed: I don't have ANY Windows or Macs in the house. I use Linux exclusively.

Steroyd

I thought Jeanne never even came out in Europe. Did it?

No, which is why I want it's European debut to be in the EU store.... or the UK store, what is the damn difference Sony WHAT IS THE DAMN DIFFERENCE!?! D:

M3Freak

Banned
Jim said:
Do you have a PS3? :p

Oh man, this totally escaped me. So, the PSP store content is going to have the same PSP content in the PS3 PSN store? Problem solved!

Please, no dumb ass jokes. Thank you.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Steroyd said:
For the love of God Sony make this available in the EU store so I can pick it up when i've got the spare cash in December/January, I don't give a shit even if you charge. £20 :(

This.

I want Jeanne Sony! Put her up on the PAL Store.

keyrat

I think this could really put a big jump in PSP game sales, especially the cheaper download-only titles. This is like the iPhone app store if it's done right.

Jim

M3Freak said:
Oh man, this totally escaped me. So, the PSP store content is going to have the same PSP content in the PS3 PSN store? Problem solved!

Please, no dumb ass jokes. Thank you.

Most people don't even realize it, heh. Nearly everything is also on the PS3 Store... PSP downloadable games, PSP demos, PS1 stuff, etc.

PSP format trailers and some smaller things like wallpapers and trailers are not usually.

Dizzan

MINI Member
keyrat said:
I think this could really put a big jump in PSP game sales, especially the cheaper download-only titles. This is like the iPhone app store if it's done right.

Old games are ridiculously overpriced on the store though.

On PAL store, Killzone Liberation is $29.99 when you can pick up the umd for between 15 and 20.

Same with Burnout Legends and dominator.

Needs to be cheaper imo.

YYZ

If this is the direction of PSP2 then Sony has finally done the right thing for the PSP.

Wollan said:
PSN cards are widely available in the US now via Best Buy, 7/11..etc. Japan as well.
Europe is still waiting.

Sony is doing a 4GB bundle with the new PSP 3000.
Actually, not really. There's a report Best Buy cannot sell them until 10/26/08, and there are still some Blockbuster locations that don't have them. I could be wrong, but I thought 7/11 was removed from the list of retailers carrying the cards? Those in the Midwest can still easily mind them and most Blockbusters still have them. I just know this since I know some who still can't get one.

Anyway, the PS Store looks pretty cool on PSP (I watched the video on PS Blog). I don't expect PS3 friends on PSP due to WiFi using up a lot of battery to keep running probably (and I don't know the capabilities of PSP to keep it running either).

I might download more stuff to the PSP because of it now. :D

Ello

Can't wait for the update.

I hope in future updates they'll add the friendslist there as well and have PSP games online use you'r PSN account.

decon

Dizzan said:
Old games are ridiculously overpriced on the store though.

On PAL store, Killzone Liberation is $29.99 when you can pick up the umd for between 15 and 20.

Same with Burnout Legends and dominator.

Needs to be cheaper imo.
This. It's so fucked up, there just isn't any better words for it.

Chris C said:
I sort of hope Sony starts going on a PSN like rampage and releases a bunch of smaller 80MB ish games for PSP. Side scrolling platformers, simple RPG's etc
Well if SCEE and SCEA would start to take PSP seriously, then maybe they should look at what Japan is doing, and what Nintendo have been up to with their VC. £4 for a PSX classic is a great price point. Everybody wants more PSX games, so where the fuck are they? They have such a huge catalog of classics that suits the PSP perfectly! And when we're at it, why not try and beat Nintendo and team up with Sega etc. and release old 8/16 bit games too?

I could totally see myself doing a *lot* of impulse buys if Sony just tired a little harder. 80 MB *insert PSX platform classic* for £4 an hour before my train arrives? Yes please.

Top Bottom