• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey 2 remake: some details (difficulty levels, BGM modes, saves and +)

L~A

Thanks to a blog post over at Famitsu, we get some more details about the Etrian Odyssey 2 remake on 3DS

First of all, it's confirmed that pretty much all the options from EOU are back : BGM selection (original / arrange), difficulty level (pic-nic, normal, expert), you can have up to 8 save files (only one on the game cartridge itself). Pic-nic difficulty allows you to restart where you died. There's also an option allowing you to turn on/off auto-saves and more. Oh, and I should mention the special event with characters, at the inn.

There's some DLC: Highlander class to become paid DLC until 2 weeks after launch. Before that? It's free.

bjuw6w1f1knm38zo2usg941ois.jpg

glhn4j1hm1dzordxy17k564pv5.jpg

ka2eny2bj6unhrs63fczip8pfq.jpg

nsf5v4j79zmmpzz3xe1wu27ry1.jpg

uukkmdhs1f2uhacgx849xb0q9e.jpg

yd69h6hh2pzg76bzl12ofoippn.jpg

Also, looks like they're going to have a manga about the game.

omlet

Article is not clear about if you can transfer/backup your cartridge save to SD, but I'm guessing not, so the multi-slot saves are probably only for eshop copies of the game. I mean, I'm used to just having one save at a time, and there wasn't any need at all in EOU to have more than one save at a time, so if cartridge version only allows one save at a time, that's okay.

That FLIPFLOPS manga pictured has actually been around for years but according to the blog they're going to make a new one to include the new story mode cast.

Shiina

How did you fail to mention the Highlander class being paid DLC? Did they edit the news after you posted it?

A genuine fuck you to Atlus from me for this.

How did you fail to mention the Highlander class being paid DLC? Did they edit the news after you posted it?

It also mentions it will be free for two weeks after the game's release, so it's not a huge deal.
Hopefully they don't overload the game with other DLC classes, though.

Shiina

It also mentions it will be free for two weeks after the game's release, so it's not a huge deal.

It's a big enough deal for me as I'm not sure that I'll actually have my copy within two weeks of the game's release, even if I preorder it. It would be less of a problem if Nintendo's eShop wasn't so ass backwards that you actually need to own the game before you can purchase DLC for it.

Bytes

Unless they come up with new classes, I don't think there will be other ones since this game already has all the ones from the first game.

I can imagine them starting to offer old classes as DLC for the inevitable third remake, though.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
It's a big enough deal for me as I'm not sure that I'll actually have my copy within two weeks of the game's release, even if I preorder it. It would be less of a problem if Nintendo's eShop wasn't so ass backwards that you actually need to own the game before you can purchase DLC for it.

or if they had an account system that would make it easier for people outside of japan...
if something happens to my 3DS, my download games will be gone. I hope they make an account system like sony soon, they made the first step with the nintendo ID

Eusis

Oh wow, a 3DS game actually taking advantage of the SD card for more than DLC? Would these be saves accessible by other copies like the digial one then?

L~A

Because I actually missed it, don't ask me how :p

sörine;134321678 said:
Untold 1's still in my backlog, I wonder how far away this one is for the west?

Probably around march in NA. June ~ September in Europe ;)

KarmaCow

Anything about locking stuff behind the story mode like in Untold?

Not liking the DLC character stuff either. It's not the first time they've done it but it's still worrisome.

Shiina

Anything about locking stuff behind the story mode like in Untold?

Not liking the DLC character stuff either. It's not the first time they've done it but it's still worrisome.

I believe to have read that the EOU-like story mode exclusive dungeons and bosses will also be available in classic mode this time.

Also it's the first time they've done it in Etrian Odyssey.

:(

omlet

Highlander and Gunner aren't available in Classic until you've finished Story mode.

Well you can't start with those classes, but in Classic mode you can Class Change a character into either a Gunner or Highlander at level 30.

It's like how you had to unlock Ronin and Hexer in the original game (and Beast in EOII).

KarmaCow

What do you mean "locking" behind story mode?

And this actually is the first time there's DLC for EO.

I meant the extra zones and bosses as well as the classes. But

I believe to have read that the EOU-like story mode exclusive dungeons and bosses will also be available in classic mode this time.

Also it's the first time they've done it in Etrian Odyssey.

:(

That's good. I got burned out by the end of playing Untold on story mode first.

And I meant Atlus on the 3DS in regards to the dlc stuff. The SMTIV dlc was pretty shitty as well.

Laconic

Banned
DLC? Thanks Sega.
Never thought I'd have to worry about that in EO.

It is not DLC, per se, so much as it is incentivization of a day one purchase.

Even at that, I do not like it.

But dammit if I was not going to buy it day one to help ensure production of EOU3 and EO5, anyway. So Highlander is just icing for me. But I'm all about that Etrian cake.

Everything about this game looks amazing and a step up from Untold.

I wish Expert mode could be permanent(don't let me change it) and screw Floor Jump, MAKE ME SUFFER!

All I want to hear now is that we can use the Princess in CM without having to finish the damn game first.

L~A

Everything about this game looks amazing and a step up from Untold.

I wish Expert mode could be permanent(don't let me change it) and screw Floor Jump, MAKE ME SUFFER!

All I want to hear now is that we can use the Princess in CM without having to finish the damn game first.

I'd be surprised if you could use the SM characters in CM right from the start...

I'd be surprised if you could use the SM characters in CM right from the start...

I don't want the characters, I want the classes.

As in whatever the hell the MC is and Princess, but I know that won't probably won't happen.

Don't like any sort of DLC for classes but eh...it's EO. Excited about save files though...very much needed.

I'm fine with "buy it when it comes out and get it for Free" DLC

omlet

I meant the extra zones and bosses as well as the classes.

I don't see what the problem is, honestly. It's some extra fluff zones (that actually really only make sense in story mode anyway) and a couple boss fights that are one-and-done (you can't even re-fight them in story mode if you wanted to), what's the big deal?

I don't want the characters, I want the classes.

As in whatever the hell the MC is and Princess, but I know that won't probably won't happen.

Yeah I doubt that happens since all signs point to this one being structured just like EO:U. She's a story mode character so just run through story mode first then NG+ to classic so you can mix up your
other four members of your
party however you want. Or class change in classic mode at level 30.

Don't like any sort of DLC for classes but eh...it's EO. Excited about save files though...very much needed.

I like that it allows for some different experimentation (want to test a new party/builds out, can make a different save) but otherwise I don't really see a point. Do people really want to play multiple files at the same time instead of using the NG+ feature that lets you carry over what ever you want into a different game mode?

It's partly because of experimentation that I like it and think it is needed. EO is a series that just begs for it. Even though the options available to you in-game have somewhat compensated for the lack of multiple save slots I just love having multiple save files for the extra conveniences (experimentations, easy game sharing, revisiting specific points in the game, etc).

KarmaCow

I don't see what the problem is, honestly. It's some extra fluff zones (that actually really only make sense in story mode anyway) and a couple boss fights that are one-and-done (you can't even re-fight them in story mode if you wanted to), what's the big deal?

It's new content in a remake of a game I've played before. I want to play the new stuff.

Zweizer

Banned
Will that 2 weeks free DLC situation be the same for the localizations?

I wish they did a manga adaptation for the first game.

It is nice to have native support for multiple saves. It isn't a bad thing having multiple save files in a game.

Still the 3DS software backup tool already provided this kind of support even if it is not very elegant (
I've had to backup the save of the previous owner for EOIV on my second system...with the NNID linked I still feel like it is their property even though it is unlikely they will get it back or even want it
)

omlet

I haven't played the original, but just came across the song "Cherry Tree Bridge" while listening to SupraDarky's study music playlist

It's one of the best (non-battle) tunes in the whole series. I'm really looking forward to hearing how the new version sounds.

Usobuko

Banned
I have EO2 on DS but yet to start on that one. Did beat EO1 though.

I kinda wanna buy this to play the expert "story" mode .

Zweizer

Banned
Concerning saves, has it been clarified whether a playthrough can have multiple saves or not? Additional save slots is good news regardless, but I'm curious if they'll let players freely experiment things with multiple saves. Sounds a bit too convenient.

I have EO2 on DS but yet to start on that one. Did beat EO1 though.

I kinda wanna buy this to play the expert "story" mode .

I'd say it's worth buying for the updated gameplay as well. I do hope the story mode will be better than Untold's.

omlet

Concerning saves, has it been clarified whether a playthrough can have multiple saves or not? Additional save slots is good news regardless, but I'm curious if they'll let players freely experiment things with multiple saves. Sounds a bit too convenient.

Not clarified AFAIK, but it looks like you can have up to 8 saves of any kind if you're playing SD copy of the game, so yeah several saves of the same game (useful for people who like to "leapfrog" save or, as mentioned, experimentation or save sharing) or of altogether different files (for weirdos or for people who don't know how NG+ works and think you need to play 2 different files to see both modes of the game lol).

For series vets it does sound a bit too convenient (and like something we're used to doing without) but anyone who went through grimoire farming hell in EO:U like I did will probably be looking forward to having the ability to make temp saves for that kind of thing at endgame.

Zweizer

Banned
Not clarified AFAIK, but it looks like you can have up to 8 saves of any kind if you're playing SD copy of the game, so yeah several saves of the same game (useful for people who like to "leapfrog" save or, as mentioned, experimentation or save sharing) or of altogether different files (for weirdos or for people who don't know how NG+ works and think you need to play 2 different files to see both modes of the game lol).

For series vets it does sound a bit too convenient (and like something we're used to doing without) but anyone who went through grimoire farming hell in EO:U like I did will probably be looking forward to having the ability to make temp saves for that kind of thing at endgame.

Well, if they really allow multiple saves for a playthrough it's pretty good news for experimentation purposes, even if it'll make the game easier and more forgiving as far as taking calculated risks go.
On another note, I personally hope the grimoire system either doesn't come back or get some tweaks, because that RNG dependance was bullshit.

Laconic

Banned
Grimoires were the first incentive I've had to run a glitch, since the NES. The RNG of it took the masochism to un-fun levels. The fact that the RNG probability booster were limited as well, REALLY did not help.

omlet

On another note, I personally hope the grimoire system either doesn't come back or get some tweaks, because that RNG dependance was bullshit.

The video trailer from a few months ago showed grimoire system is coming back in this remake. However, I don't think there's been any word on whether it's basically exactly the same as in EOU or if it has been modified.

Grimoires were the first incentive I've had to run a glitch, since the NES. The RNG of it took the masochism to un-fun levels. The fact that the RNG probability booster were limited as well, REALLY did not help.

Farming grimoires without the glitch is actually super easy. You just need a D or M, farm the tree FOEs in 4th stratum (poison damage) for the item that gives you a guaranteed grimoire chance, then drink enhanced tea with 100% creation rate and you can go get like 25 grimoires very quickly. The problem is that most of the time you'll get garbage stones and need to reset your game to use your bag full of grimoire chance items until you get a couple of the skills you wanted at high rank.
No glitching used for these.

Laconic

Banned
The video trailer from a few months ago showed grimoire system is coming back in this remake. However, I don't think there's been any word on whether it's basically exactly the same as in EOU or if it has been modified.

Farming grimoires without the glitch is actually super easy. You just need a D or M, farm the tree FOEs in 4th stratum (poison damage) for the item that gives you a guaranteed grimoire chance, then drink enhanced tea with 100% creation rate and you can go get like 25 grimoires very quickly. The problem is that most of the time you'll get garbage stones and need to reset your game to use your bag full of grimoire chance items until you get a couple of the skills you wanted at high rank.

No glitching used for these.

I did not know you could farm those.

I'm tempted to give it another go, now.

Thanks. :)

sphinx

the piano man
more time and resources that aren't going towards EO5.

more brand milking.

but go on Atlus, milk the cow dry and kill a series with your unnecessary yearly games

omlet

I did not know you could farm those.

I'm tempted to give it another go, now.

Thanks. :)

Glad to help.

For specifics, the Medusa Tree FOEs (of which there are 32 on floors 16 and 17) have a conditional drop when killed with poison damage (not when killed while poisoned--the poison damage has to be the killing damage). What I did was use my Dark Hunter (whip spec) to farm them. They have just over 3800 HP so I'd put the game down on picnic for this to make it fast. First turn Viper does about 1600 damage, high poison chance (if poison didn't stick, Flee and try again). My Ronin would use Slantwise Cut for about another 1500 damage (and Slantwise Cut cannot crit--don't use normal attacks because if they crit you will kill the FOE too soon; if you don't have a Ronin you can use any other damage dealer doing the same kind of thing to do the same ballpark damage), then another weaker party member would use a normal attack or weak skill to bring it down to under 500 HP (like M or P doing normal attack that even if it crit wouldn't kill the FOE). Poison damage from rank 10 Viper should do about 500 and finish it off. The conditional drop rate is not 100% but it is very high, I would usually get about 25 drops from a full clear of all 30+ trees. Rest at inn or do something else for a few in-game days and they will all respawn and you can do it again.

Top Bottom