• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 Games - 1 Year Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krafter

Rambling along...

Game 61: Doom 3 (PC) - September 18 - 21 hours
Hell yeah. The senior member of the ID/Monolith/Valve FPS Holy Trio delivers in spades here, no cover, no Wolverine powers, just firepower and Demons. ID's weapons are still the best sounding and feeling, and everything works just as well with the claustrophobic atmosphere and smaller enemy counts. Doom 3 looks and sounds great, pretty much exactly what I want from the viewpoint of a 1990s shooter guy. Bring on Doom 4.

Game 62: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. the Souless Army (PS2) - September 28 - 29 hours
Another win for Atlus; Interesting time period, fantastic art and music, and possibly the best silent protagonist of all time. Real-time combat that reminded me of Vagrant Story or Crisis Core, except you have your summon fighting at your side. Gotou the Demon cat is pretty damn high up on the video-game companion list. As an aside, this is the game with the longest title I have ever played.

Game 63: Spartacus Legends (PS3) - October 1 - 20 hours
PSN Free to play, weapon-based fighting game that reminds me of Soul Calibur, starring half-naked sweaty guys. Multiple weapon styles, all quite viable. I enjoyed this quite a bit, enough to beat all six districts' Champions. Pretty violent, I did not play this one around the kids and for good reason. Screw that Rank 50 trophy though, heh.

Original Post updated

Game 26; Mario Kart 8 - 10 hours maybe
Finally picked up a Wii U (mostly for Bayonetta 2, although I have a little list of games I do want to try out on the console) with the Mario Kart 8 bundle. I was not disappointed. Probably the best Mario Kart I have ever played. I blasted through on 100cc to just enjoy, learn the tracks and unlock the new GP's. Cannot wait to try the challenge of 150cc. So much to like about this game.

Barely half way with 10 months gone. I know I am unlikely to get this challenge completed. It has been enjoyable recording what I played though.

Adahn

Original Post

43/52

September's Games:

Game 38: Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair (Vita) c.50 hours

What a great experience - improves over the original in many areas, although some of the newer trial functionality doesn't always work as well as the developers perhaps hoped. I'll hold off from commenting too much on the story or additional specifics as the game is so narrative based, but certainly I'd recommend both the first game and this one to any Vita owners out there

Game 39: Murasaki Baby (Vita) c. 2 hours

From the off, style-wise this has looked great. The final product didn't disappoint, and the art direction really is top notch - I guess I'm a sucker for anything in black and white! The touch controls were ok, although you had to play some finger olympics in certain areas. My main concerns with the game were that it was short, and that it finished just as it tied all the mechanics together and finally got going. Due to the length and lack of replayability might be worth waiting for a sale on this one...

Game 40: Tiny Toon Adventures: Babs' Big Break (GameBoy) 1.5 hours

Got bored on a trip home so went through a load of old stuff and dug out a couple of old GameBoys that used to belong to my brother and I, along with a load of old games. I remembered this one quite well - far more accessible to us in our youth than the overly difficult sequel was anyway! It's a nice little platformer, some boss difficulty spikes, with some interesting options for its day - you can flip between anyone of three characters at any time, for instance, and each one of them has their own special move. But you get more score if you don't use your special move items, etc. Fairly easy to play through as an adult, build up some additional lives through the mini-games and then got tanked by the final boss until I learnt the movement entirely. Guess I'll look through the pile and figure out which one I'll tackle next :D

Game 41: PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale (Vita) c.15 hours

Played through Arcade mode for every original character, and two of the DLC ones that it looks like I picked up free at some point, as well as nabbing all bar two of the trophies. I don't play a huge number of fighters or brawlers, but I enjoyed my time with this one - especially with it being free from Plus. I didn't have a huge issue with the whole Supers thing either - although I thought there were balance issues between the characters, and the online tactic of most to wait until Super level 3 before doing anything seemed a bit boring.

Game 42: Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon (PC) c.3 hours

A weird one to put down, I know! But this has the honour of being the first game I've ever completed while playing alongside my four and a half year old. She was fantastic, and in the space of no time at all got the hang of the mouse, some keys and how to use this weird non-touch monitor (bless the tablet generation!). We've moved onto another Putt-Putt game now, but to be honest she's blazing away at that on her own with me just kinda spectating with the odd 'Yey!', so I don't know if I'll count that as one of my own when we finish it. Anyway, great stuff - so happy I got them cheap in a Humble Bundle, and anyone with young kids should nab them.

Game 43: Hotline Miami (Vita) c.10 hours

This has become one of those games where, after playing it, I have no idea why it took me so long to get around to booting it up. I was hooked from start to platinum, it really is an excellently designed and very accessible title. Loved the failures, loved fighting for massive combos. Some weaknesses I hope are picked up and fixed in the sequel, but honestly you'll never notice them while you are actually playing. If you've also failed to play this until now go away and rectify that - ideally on a Vita, as it was such a perfect fit for the machine.

I've started writing much more, so once again, I am out of space. Dang it.

Game 29: Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends - October 6th, 2014 - 25-30 hours
DC8LWdp.png

I'm going to call this game finished because I'm pretty burned out on it. I stormed through about 10 hours of ambition mode this past weekend and had a lot of fun. I had bought it back in April, but never really got around to completing much. Besides ambition mode I've gotten through significant chunks of a few stories. I'm not quite "done" with the game per se, because it'll always be in my Vita carrying case, but I'm done in the sense of putting concerted effort into completing stuff.

I played it on Vita, and there are really three main issue with the game. 1) Some of the effects, particularly the water, look terrible. 2) There are some terrible framerate drops in big scrums with lots of enemies. 3) I was shocked by how terrible some of the character models look. I guess that's understandable being on PSV. A side-note is that while understanding that the game isn't meant to be about super compelling stories, I wish they'd polish up the voice-acting. Either have it and be good, don't have, or maybe have Chinese VAs. Because as is it now, it's comedic levels of bad.

Other than that, the game has proven to be exactly what I expected: a portable musou game. It's allowed me to waste time traveling or between classes, and I've thoroughly enjoyed it. Not something for everyone for sure, but well worth my time. I hope these games actually get some more polish instead of being pumped out as annual titles a la COD, but little hope for that I guess.

Game 30: Animal Crossing New Leaf - October 7th, 2014 - 34 hours
N4xJwaS.png

I probably "finished" this months ago, but forgot to write about it. I loved ACNL. But it's also probably my last Animal Crossing title. I frankly don't have the time or memory to follow through and play this game every day, or most days. So I played the game pretty hard for about a month and then just forgot about it. I certainly got my money's worth, but I guess I just need to realize that the format of ACNL isn't for my brain. There's plenty of content, the new features are great and overall, I loved sinking time into this thing. But really, the need to play it every day for a few minutes is just something that doesn't quite jive with me. I'll probably check in on my town every once and while from now on, but probably not nearly as much...

C'est la vie.

Game 31: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - October 12th, 2014 - 9 hours
KSYNpXd.png

Weird background with this game. I played the original Uncharted back in 2009 via a friend whose copy I borrowed. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but at the time, I was in a real gaming lull, so I didn't think about the series again. Fast forward a few years and my parents gave me a copy of Uncharted 3. Having heard people say you could just watch these cinematic games on YouTube and get the same thing out of it, I did just that to catch up on what I missed in U2. Fast forward to this last week where I started and finished U2.

I can now say that it's one of my favorite games I've played on the PS2. I can also say that the whole "watch on YouTube crowd" is full of crap. I have a few friends who constantly insist that you can watch TLOU and get the same experience as playing it. What a crock of nonsense. Watching Uncharted 2 did not do justice to what an excellent game it is. From the graphics and art-style that still hold up today, to the music which is just sweeping and beautiful, to the story which is engaging and intriguing, to the excellent gun-play. All of those things added up to be a very, very compelling package.

You hear people complain about cinematic style games like Uncharted 2. Maybe their complaints are warranted. All I know is that U2 is a game that takes things that other games do terrible (corridors) and makes them excellent (
The train comes to mind here
). There's a reason the game is so widely praised, and it's not because of some unsubstantiated hype train
lol trains
. The game deserves every plaudit it gets. I will honestly be replaying this because I enjoyed it that much.

Game 32: Pix the Cat - October 13th, 2014 - 3.5 hours
pz0Tt8p.png

I didn't like this one that much honestly. It was fun for a few hours, but I pretty quickly hit a skill wall. I don't understand the scores people get on this game. Yes, it's reminiscent of Pac-Man Championship Edition DX. Yes, it's got a clever little take on this style of game. Yes, the score-attack is compelling (if you're into that). Yes, the music and visuals are trippy and utterly fantastic. But by and large, this just wasn't for me.

Game 33: Super Smash Bros for 3DS - October 15th, 2014 - 20+ hours
HFjMUa1.png

I didn't think I would enjoy this as much as I have. I got it mostly out of a sense of obligation since my three other 3DS owning buddies picked it up. It's been huge amounts of fun both solo and multiplayer. The solo alone gave me plenty of content to mess around with from the challenges to Classic mode to Smash Run. The music is solid, the stages are solid, the characters are incredibly solid.

Among my few complaints are, perhaps unsurprisingly, the clones. I don't mind that there ARE clones, I just don't like some of the clones they picked (notably Dark Pitt and Dr. Mario). In terms of StreetPass, I feel like they could have come up with something a bit more compelling than they did. But aside from those minor quibbles, the rest of the package is great. Playing with friends has been great. Every time we're together, we whip out our copies and play together. I love having my Miis in the game, especially since I have a pretty extensive catalog of Miis modeled on things like animes, celebrities and movies. Although I haven't finished the last two challenge boards, I have finished obtaining all levels and characters, and as far as I'm concerned, that's a completion. I'll still be playing with friends, but not nearly as much solo.

Game 34: Mario Kart 8 - October 17th, 2014 - 10 hours
wzqVIKu.png

This game is weird, because contrary to Super Smash, I haven't finished unlocking everything. There are still characters and vehicle stuff to unlock. But for the most part, I'm pretty done with this game. By the time I bought my copy, I was pretty burned out from playing hours and hours with a friend on his console. The game is great, and while playing it, I actually played with my dad. It was the first time in quite a while that we've played a game together.

The racing is top notch, the new items are great and by God does the game look amazing. I was not expecting such top-notch graphics. Also the music, the music is fantastic. Still, it's a pretty "family" oriented game (not that such a label is bad), and now my thirst for a real racer has been renewed. Really looking forward to getting back into some hardcore racing (a la Project Cars).

Game 35: Ys: Memories of Celceta - November 1st, 2014 - 20 hours
7QKjiuI.png

I bought this game earlier in the year, sometime in February. I tried it out, got my butt kicked, got frustrated, put it down and forgot about it. Then, in October I decided that I really needed to try to get through the game. I'm very glad I did.

The story isn't much to write home about. However, having never touched a Ys game before, I found it serviceable and decent enough to keep me interested. Perhaps if I had played other games, I would have found the plot more troublesome. I really have no idea about that though. There were some twists and turns, and while the writing wasn't something special, everything was just enough to keep me invested. On top of that, the cast of characters is actually fairly likable. I think the only character who actually annoyed me was Ozma. Otherwise, I really enjoyed the entire crew. It's a shame that the best character
best girl
doesn't join the team until the last chunk of the game
I mean Frieda

The main draw here though was the combat. From my experience, the combat system wasn't necessarily what I would call deep. There was a standard attack, a bunch of skills for each character and an EXTRA attack. However, even though I wouldn't call the system deep, it is hard. I think one of the things I enjoyed the most about the game is that it made me feel incompetent. I almost never felt cheated by the game. Rather, most of the time, when something terrible happened in combat, I felt that it was my own inadequacy shining through. And in the crowded turn-based JRPG field, a JRPG that is an ARPG is brilliant. I love that the game actually challenged me and made me work on my timing. Not only timing, but mental plasticity as I was constantly required to switch my character to adapt to new situations.

Besides the combat, I was actually hugely drawn in by the map exploration. I'm a sucker for exploring maps, and I was drawn in immensely by seeing my map percent tick up and up. I'm pleased I played the game because it's actually one of the best the Vita has to offer. I'm even more pleased because the game opened the world of Ys to me.
Game 36: The Last of Us Remastered - November 18th, 2014 - 16 hours
dUagBpT.png

This is going to be a long reaction because I want somewhere to post my thoughts. The first thing of note is that this was my first playthrough of the game. However, when the game came out, I bought into the stupid idea that you could just "watch the game on YouTube." I'm so ashamed that I fell for that line of BS. But at the same time, I'm glad that I had seen the game on YouTube already, because it gives me a different perspective on the game than if I had played it completely blind.

The first thing that I can say is that after that experience, I feel emotionally drained. I've never felt that worn out after a game. And I mean that as a compliment. I want to go back and replay the game on the hardest difficulty, but I think it'll be a year or two before I'm ready for that.

On this note of emotional draining, I feel like I need to bring in my "YouTube" experience. Watching the game on YouTube does not provide the feeling that playing the TLOU does. What makes the cutscenes so compelling is the gameplay that leads up to them. I've heard people claim that the gameplay of TLOU isn't that great. I disagree completely. It may not be particularly new or inventive, but what it does, it does to the benefit of the game. The scarce resources, the melee combat, all of it adds to to tension of the game. Spoiler ahead:
The most important example of the gameplay adding to the experience is the winter section when you escape from David. The whole section of walking through the snow and trying to kill the enemies is hugely tense. Fighting off David is so very draining. Seeing Ellie hack him to death is just painful. And that leads you to the famed giraffe scene. That scene would be nothing without the previously tense and harsh aspects of the gameplay.

Watching the game did not provide the true feeling of dread that I felt when I came across the Infected. I don't think any game that I have played has ever done such a good job of creating a sense of fear or dread. In many games, they try to make you feel like a zombie-killer. This game does not do that. I think a huge part of the tension that you feel when encountering the Infected is that they aren't found everywhere. Indeed, this is a game set in the context of a zombie apocalypse, but you fight humans just as much, if not much more than the Infected.

Getting away from the strict gameplay aspect, the game, through its narrative did a brilliant job of making me feel a legitimate sense of protectiveness towards Ellie. On top of that, by the end, I just felt legitimately in tune with and invested in Joel's character. I don't think its the cutscenes that do this though. They help, but they are not the main effector of these feeling. I think the AI is what drives this home. The random times Ellie will stop to tie her shoe. When she sits down while you rummage around. The times when she clambers around looking for stuff. When she "learns" to whistle. When she makes little "pew-pew" sounds. All of this drives home the idea that this is a living character with a personality. The optional conversations? That stuff is god-tier game design quite honestly. In the end, it's the characters that drive this game. The story isn't anything special necessarily
(although the end kind of upends that)
, rather it's the characters who make the story something truly unique.

The last thing I want to rant about is the end. I've never been so bothered by an ending. Not that I didn't like it (I loved it), but bothered in the sense that I've been pondering the morality of what happened for hours. Major spoilers ahead:
In the end, I feel that Joel's decision is the one that any of us would have made. Ellie has basically become his daughter, and right or wrong, I really don't think a parent would allow their child to die. Especially when humanity throughout the course of the game has shown itself arguably unworthy of salvation. Arguably, the only "good" people in the game we see are at Tommy's place. And who knows if they're really that good. Besides that, I found myself troubled by the ethics of the Fireflies. They never asked Ellie if she wanted to go through with dying. You can say, "That's what she would have wanted!" but how can you really know without asking her? Beyond that, I'm suspicious of the Fireflies abilities to actually develop a vaccine. And even if they develop it, what guarantee do they have of being able to mass produce it? And even if they can develop and produce it, what about mass distribution? The Fireflies kind of seem like terrorists. Maybe they would just hold the vaccine hostage from people they don't like. On top of that, what if Ellie's immunity is genetic? Maybe it's better to find more like her and try to breed immunity into the population.

But besides my justification for Joel's action, I don't think he was thinking about that when he went to get Ellie. He made a selfish choice. And that is freaking brilliant. There was no cliche "save the world" ending. No Messiah ending. That was a such a breath of fresh air.
I was scared that playing the game wouldn't live up to the hype. That's why I put off playing it for so long. I'm glad I finally played it. This game is one of a kind.

Game 37: Papers, Please - November 19th, 2014 - Around 8 hours
MUf7Zm7.png

This was a weird experience. I found the "message" or "idea" behind the game about the emotional toll of working this job to be interesting. But oddly enough, my favorite part of the game? Doing the work. I was mesmerized by how intriguing I found the actual core gameplay loop. I guess that makes me a massive weirdo, but alas, maybe I was born for government labor. I can see why it was heavily praised, and I'm glad to have finished it.

Game 38: Shadow of Mordor - November 23rd, 2014 - Right around 20 hours
4pX6299.png

From what I know of the games, if you have played any of the Batman or ACreed games, SoM might feel a bit stale or used. But having never touched those games (an hour of ACreed1 actually), the whole game felt fresh. The nemesis system was brilliant, and really did a good job of motivating me. I would become angered when my branded captains died, and I would ruthlessly hunt down my nemesis. Beyond that, the game does suffer a bit from not really having much of a "LoTR spirit." It's about chopping orcs to bits. That's not really Tolkein-esque. No that that is bad, but it's just not truly a LoTR title, especially with all the lore contradictions. That being said, something about the in-game lore really resonated with me. Usually I hate doing sidequests and finding collectibles. However, since SoM actually sticks them on the map for you (lame perhaps), I went all over the map looking for them and listening to the audio logs.

Overall though, I really enjoyed this one. I hope they consider doing more LoTR titles!

Game 39: 2048 - November 26th, 2014 - 18 hours
JwS138a.png

I feel a little odd including a iPhone game, let alone one that borrowed so heavily on Threes' ideas. Still, I spent a LOT of time playing this game. It provided me a pretty nice distraction in between classes. I finally deleted it from my phone though, because I'm pretty sick of it after so many hours.

Game 40: 80 Days - Novembee 28th, 2014 - 2.5 hours
Z6w3fHc.png

I was really sour on mobile games recently. I saw them mostly as timewasters (like 2048) or as massive money hogs with their IAPs and terrible money model. I saw this game on TIME's top games of the year list and I thought maybe it was time to give iOS a shot. I'm glad I did, because this game is exactly the kind that fits on my iPad. The "choose-your-own-adventure" genre is perfect for a tablet. The game does a fantastic job of drawing you into the narrative and making you interested in going out of your way to explore. I do wish the game would allow you to share and reuse seeds, but can't have everything!

Game 41: Tales of Hearts R - December 2nd, 2014 - 32 hours
5fem0uB.png

Possibly one of my favorite Vita JRPGs now. The battle system is fantastic, the story is serviceable, and the characters are so damn lovable. The skits throughout the game were totally goofy, but so, so well done. There were some really irritating translation issues, but the game was still very understandable. I can't wait to go back and play a NG+. It's such a lovable game. I can't wait to play more Tales games now!

Game 42: Race the Sun - December 21st, 2014 - 3 hours
m1TirFL.png

I won this little gem off of the Steam auctions. To be honest, it really helped me get through finals week. I would boot it up and just do a dozen or so races to get my mind off my stressful workload. It's a runner, and perhaps a simple one, but it's really addicting and well worth anyone's time

Game 43: Prison Architect (Early Access) - December 22nd, 2014 - 10.5 hours
UoeEBl2.png

I put "Early Access" in the title because I believe that I have gotten all that I can (for now) out of the Early Access of this game. When it gets fully released with more features and perhaps a campaign, I'll be happy to return to it (and probably count it again!). But as it stands, this is a pretty impressive Early Access title. It's pretty darn fleshed out and provides a unique challenge. I found myself not even realizing how much time had passed during my sessions.

PART ONE
PART TWO
YOU'RE READING PART THREE

Lemstar

51: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls (PC) - 6h (10/06/14 - 10/07/14)

I don't do the loot game thing anymore, but I had fun with my one full clear of the campaign. They probably tuned the difficulty down way too much, though - I played with my wizard with junk gear from when I finished Inferno around the release of vanilla, and even going up to Master from Normal didn't stop me from blowing through stuff pretty quickly.

It'd be nice to dabble in the other five classes, but I'd rather spend the time playing other stuff.

Oneironaut

Neo Member
I only just found out about this thread, and I'm no where near on track to beat 52 games this year, but I figure I'll make a post anyway, and from October on I'll try to beat one game per week. I only count games where I reach the credits/beat all levels. I also don't count games that I have beaten previously. That would make things too easy. I replay games a lot; I could probably beat Doom 52 times in one year, so I limit myself so that I'm forced to play new things occasionally.

Game 1: Guacamelee - 5 Hours Played
Beat on January 18th

Game 2: Injustice: Gods Among Us - 5 Hours Played
Beat on February 9th

Game 3: One Finger Death Punch - 6 Hours Played
Beat on April 18th

Game 4: 1000 Amps - 5 Hours Played
Beat on April 23rd

Game 5: Major Mayhem - 4 Hours Played
Beat on April 30th -Looks like I did pretty decently in April

Game 6: Vanguard Princess - 93 Minutes Played
Beat on May 2nd - By my own requirements, I never take very long to beat fighting games. They mostly have a severe lack of a decent campaign/story mode.

Game 7: Batman: Arkham Origins - 12 Hours Played
Beat on May 12th - Ran into a lot of bugs with this. Would have played a lot longer if it were as polished as the previous Arkham games.

Game 8: Hexcells -3 Hours Played
Beat on May 30th - This is a great little puzzle game, I 100%ed it, even though that only requires beating each level without making mistakes, so it isn't a major undertaking. I played Hexcells Plus afterwards but didn't end up beating it.

Game 9: Dynasty Warriors 8 - 65 Hours Played
Beat on June 22nd - This is a big reason I haven't beat many other games this year. I beat the story line for every faction, historical and the other one, and then I kept playing and playing. I didn't 100% it, but I loved it. I still come back to it from time to time.

Game 10: Love - 72 Minutes Played
Beat on June 24th - Nice little platformer. Short, but could be pretty hard at times. You only have 999 lives to beat the game, and I think I had less than 10 by the end.

Game 11: Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae - 85 Minutes Played
Beat on June 24th

Game 12: eXceed - Gun Bullet Children - 84 Minutes Played
Beat on June 24th -I like bullet hell games. I don't play enough of them, largely because I limit myself to Steam so much that I haven't explored too many of the doujin games apart from some Touhous.

Game 13: Abyss: The Wraiths of Eden - 4 Hours Played
Beat on August 11th - A bundle had a bunch of these PnC games, and I ended up enjoying several of them.

Game 14: 9 Clues: The Secret of Serpent Creek - 3 Hours Played
Beat on August 13th

Game 15: Ys I - 6 Hours Played
Beat on September 26th - Took a while to get used to the bump combat, but I ended up enjoying it. I may add Ys II to this list some time later in the year.

Game 16: Trials Fusion - 7 Hours Played
Beat on October 6th -This was my first Trials game, and I really enjoyed it. Some of the later levels were really tough, and I didn't even scratch the extreme difficulty levels that opened up after beating the game.

Game 17: Crystals of Time - 3 Hours Played
Beat on October 7th - Another PnC game. This wasn't nearly as good as the ones I picked up in that bundle earlier.

Game 18: Final Fantasy XIII - 53 Hours Played
Beat on October 14th - That was fun. Looking forward to the XIII-2 release. I'll probably play some of the end-game content before moving on to something else.

Game 19: Dreamfall Chapters: Book 1- 4 hours played
Beat on October 25th -I liked it. Hope it won't be too long before the next chapters are released.

Game 20: Tower of Guns - 2 Hours played
Beat on October 30th - It doesn't exactly have an end, but I beat the boss of the 'story' Really nice game. I'm glad someone finally did the FPS-Rogue-lite properly.

Game 21: Binding of Isaac Rebirth - 44 Hours played
Beat on November 12th

Game 22: Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor - 23 Hours played
Beat on December 2nd. 100%ed on December 5th

Game 23: Octodad: Dadliest Catch - 2 Hours played
Beat on December 4th

Game 24: Hexcells: Infinite - 13 Hours played
Beat and 100%ed on December 5th

Game 25: Wolfenstein: The New Order - 10 Hours played
Beat on December 6th

Game 26: The Desolate Hope - 8 Hours played
Beat on December 10th

Game 27: Final Fantasy XIII-2 - 45 Hours played
Beat on December 16th

Game 28: Hexcells Plus - 15 Hours played
Beat on December 25th: Lost my progress when I was almost done with this one after buying it. Finally went back and cleared it today

Game 29: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel - 18 Hours played
Beat on December 30th: Didn't like this nearly as much as the previous game.

I guess 29 isn't too bad. I probably won't beat another game tomorrow. Hope to get to 52 next year.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
How are you enjoying Starfy? I really loved the game. I still need to 100% it which is pretty tough!
I had just played through 9-1 before starting a new file so I was annoyed Starfy didn't have all his moves nor was feeling loss of Starly's ones lol. I had fun anyhow! My first file from whenever ago is pretty far along but boss rush+secret world conditions don't really interest me. It stinks that the series is seemingly dead >.<

Game 1: Gundam Breaker - 24 hrs.
Great game i enjoyed it; although it had its annoying moments.....all in all a good time.

Game 2: Zangeki no Reginleiv - 27 hrs.
I finally brought this game, i had a lot of fun with it & i really enjoyed the story, i didn't like the controls; but they where serviceable.

Game 3: Dark - 21 hrs.
Took me around 6 hours; to finish the campaign, i finished it a couple of time after that to see the other ending, and unlock all the skills.

Game 4:: Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 - 23 hrs.

Game 5:: God of War: Ascension - 11 hrs.
Game 6:: Crysis 2 - 9 hrs. 30mins.
Game 7:: Sengoku Basara 4 - 45hrs.
Game 8: Resident Evil 5: Desperate Escape - 1hr. 24mins
Game 9: The Wolf Among Us Episode 1 & 2 - 4hrs.
Game 10: Splinter Cell: Blacklist - 24 hrs. 37 mins.
Game 11: Toshinden (Wi) - 4hrs.
Game 12: P.N.03 - 2hrs.
Game 13 : Fable Anniversary - 19hrs.
Game 14: Condemned 2: Bloodshot - 14 hrs.
Game 15: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 - 12 hrs.
Game 16: Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate - 16 hrs.
Game 17: Dark Souls II - 101 hrs.
Game 18: Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z - 4 hrs.
Game 19: Sengoku Musou 4 - 50 hrs.
Game 20: Demon's Souls - 8hrs. 24mins.
Game 21: Deception IV - 11 hrs. 27 mins.
Game 22: Ragnarock Odyssey Ace - 40 hrs. 24 mins.
Game 23: Bound by Flames - 20 hrs.
Game 24: Blood Will Till - 42 hrs. 3 mins.
Game 25: Drakengard 3 - 18 hrs. 50 mins.
Game 26. Strider (Ps3) - 12 hrs. 20 mins.
Game 27. Strider 2 - 46 mins.
Game 28. Diablo 3 Ultimate Evil Edition - 30 Hrs. 45 mins.
Game 29. KUF: Circle of Doom - 42 Hrs. 15 mins.
Game 30. Altered Species: Vampire Rain - 8 Hrs. 13 mins.
Game 31. ObsCure - 4 Hrs. 57 mins.
Game 32. Eternal Darkness - 30 hrs. 15 mins.
Game 33. Kuon - 8 hrs. 37 mins.
Game 34. Hyrule Warriors - 14 hrs. 10 mins.
Game 35. Murdered: Soul Subspect - 6 hrs. 12 mins.
Game 36. The Evil Within - 14 hrs. 38 mins.
Game 37. Genma Onimusha - 6hrs. 11 mins.
Game 38. The Lord of the Rings: Aragorn's Quest - 5 hrs. 42 mins.
Game 39. The Wolf Among Us - 5 hrs. 36 mins.
Game 40. Oneechangara Z Kagura With NoNoNo! - 2 hrs. 34 mins.
Game 41. Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate - 5 hrs. 46 mins.
Game 42. E.X. TROOPERS - 18 hrs. 51 mins.
Game 43. Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires - 50 hrs. 42 mins.
Game 44. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 - 13 hrs. 50 mins.
Game 45. Never Dead - 6 hrs. 47 mins.
Game 46. BINARY DOMAIN - 9 hrs. 36 mins.
Game 47. Shadow of Mordor - 25 hrs. 15 mins.
Game 48. Game 50. Booble Breakers - 1 hr. 10 mins.
Game 49. Resident Evil Archieves - 7 hrs. 35 mins.
Game 50. Capcom Vs. Snk EO - 2 hrs. 25 mins.
Game 51. Dead or Alive Xtreme - 3 hrs. 15 mins.
Game 52. Dead or Alive 3 - 1 hrs. 30 mins.
Game 53. Dead or Alive 2 Ultimate - 1 hrs. 15 mins.

maxcriden

I had just played through 9-1 before starting a new file so I was annoyed Starfy didn't have all his moves nor was feeling loss of Starly's ones lol. I had fun anyhow! My first file from whenever ago is pretty far along but boss rush+secret world conditions don't really interest me. It stinks that the series is seemingly dead >.<

Yeah, the Starly world is oddly easier/retread-y of the game. I agree it really sucks the series seems to be on the backburner for now. Have you played the originals? I keep meaning to pick them up but haven't yet.

eot

Banned
Game 37: F.E.A.R.: Perseus Mandate - 5 hours, Oct 8th
People like to reminisce about the good old days of PC expansion packs, but playing this right after Brigmore Witches I can't say that things were always better then. While I enjoyed this more than Extraction Point it still doesn't do much to improve on the base game. One problem I have with this game (and the other two) is how much I end up quick saving. The lethality of the combat combined with the slow-mo letting you line up headshots means that the difference between a good fight and one where you did a mistake or two can be 100 points of damage, easily. So you quick save all the time to avoid losing progress when you make a mistake. It makes you feel relieved after a fight instead of excited, it's a fight you don't quick load again. The combat is fun, I just think it's tuned in a strange way (I guess Shogo was that way too). In this expansion the base enemies tend to be harder and they also added some new, very agile enemies that for some reason also are bullet sponges, so that makes the problem even worse.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Whenever I turn my Saturn on its clock/calendar is defaulted to 1994. I have not the hearts ta tell it that was 20 years ago ;_; I do however have the heart to blow up subs an beat up thugs. Bested my personal best score in Deep Scan & beat Die Hard Arcade!

Games Beaten: 44 / 52
Total Playtime: 548 hours, 22 minutes

01 - 33!
34 - ??!

Yeah, the Starly world is oddly easier/retread-y of the game. I agree it really sucks the series seems to be on the backburner for now. Have you played the originals? I keep meaning to pick them up but haven't yet.
I've been interested in getting 'em since the first time I played this but lack of moneys an simpler to acquire games have prevented it. Maybe someday!

eot

Banned
Game 38: Doom I with Brutal Doom - 3 hours, Oct 9th
I was a little put off by this mod at first. The fact that it replaces so many iconic sounds is hard to stomach and having to deal with a reload mechanic for most weapons feels wrong, it's out of place. Even worse though are the NPC marines that walk around and let out some pretty bad dialogue. The gore effects and new sprites are very well made though, once you get over the changes it's a lot of fun to play. It's just a lot different from Doom, so people shouldn't go around thinking it obsoletes the original game. Also, I had some weird resolution issues with GZDoom, I had to select the wrong aspect ratio for it to fill the screen in fullscreen, quite strange.

OP.

Game 65: Finding Teddy (PC) - 1 hr 38 mins
Pretty fun little point and click title. Was nice to play a game of this kind that isn't too intense with puzzles for once. The ending would've been really cute if
the girl opened the cupboard, heard "Hello" and it ended there
in my opinion.

Will check out the sequel when it is released.

Spyware

I'm glad I was able to get into GAF in time for this :D I have followed this while lurking so it's fun to be able to finally post my progress.
I very rarely keep track of the time when I play a game. Even with Steam tracking it for me it's rarely accurate due to idling and stuff. But I do keep track of what I play and when I finish it thanks to Backloggery.

So according to my backloggery page this is my list for 2014.

Game 1: 01-03-14 - Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
Loved the environments, had no troubles with the controls. Not blown away by the story. Do recommend it tho.

Game 2: 01-04-14 - Gone Home
It held my interest all the way through. That's rare.

Game 3: 01-04-14 - Shelter
Went right up to the top of my fav list to join the many games already there :p

Game 4: 01-04-14 - Potatoman Seeks the Troof
Odd little thing. Pretty fun. A bit on the annoying side tho.

Game 5: 01-07-14 - Tokyo Jungle
Love this to bits. 100 %-ed it with joy.

Game 6: 01-23-14 - The Stanley Parable
Made me laugh a bunch of times. Think I found most of the endings too.

Game 7: 02-09-14 - Long Live The Queen
Dunno what to say about this game. It's oddly addicting. Especially collecting all the deaths :D

Game 8: 04-01-14 - DEVICE 6
Really special little story. Clever puzzles and interesting all the way through. Liked it more than Year Walk.

Game 9: 05-01-14 - Luigi's Mansion
Was mostly what I expected. Pretty cute but a bit too long and repetitive.

Game 10: 05-04-14 - PixelJunk Shooter
Played it in co-op and had fun.

Game 11: 05-13-14 - The Novelist
Meh.

Game 12: 05-16-14 - Pokémon X
New fav in the series. Nuzlocked it and had a great time.

Game 13: 06-06-14 - ilomilo
Adorable, great music and fun co-op (more as in thinking together as you can't play at the same time).

Game 14: 06-07-14 - Asura's Wrath
Another meh, sadly. Just not my thing.

Game 15: 06-10-14 - Trials Evolution
I hate hard games. I loved this. Hmm.

Game 16: 06-15-14 - Shadow Complex
Don't really like the genre but had mostly fun. I guess that makes it a good game :D

Game 17: 06-19-14 - Binary Domain
Kept thinking of Vanquish and how much more fun that game was. Mostly because this felt sluggish and "heavy" to control. Liked the characters tho.

Game 18: 06-19-14 - Ether One
Pretty but mostly meh.

Game 19: 06-23-14 - I Am Alive
Would have been amazing without most of the enemies.

Game 20: 07-01-14 - Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
Interesting to finally experience this. Had heard so much about it. Liked it.

Game 21: 08-23-14 - Gears of War 3
It's Gears. It works.

Game 22: 08-29-14 - Year Walk
I hate jump scares and it really didn't need them. The spooky atmosphere was quite enough. Loved the journal and all that.

Game 23: 08-30-14 - Penumbra: Overture
Interesting but with a couple of annoyances. The combat makes it not-so-scary.

Game 24: 08-31-14 - Penumbra: Black Plague
Fixed almost everything I didn't like in Overture. Loved it.

Game 25: 09-01-14 - Penumbra: Requiem
Pretty meh ;/ Didn't give me much.

Game 26: 09-01-14 - They Breathe
Creepy and odd. Pretty hard too.

Game 27: 09-01-14 - Among the Sleep
Too "gamey", which is a bit of an odd thing to say. Hard to explain what went wrong for me. Did not enjoy it much.

Game 28: 09-02-14 - The Blackwell Legacy
Had already played through these but didn't grab all the cheevos so I went back for that and the commentary. Most fun was the "I am so sorry! Why did I think this puzzle was a good idea?"-comments on... everything :D Love the characters in this series.

Game 29: 09-03-14 - Blackwell Unbound
Same as Legacy.

Game 30: 09-03-14 - Blackwell Convergence
Same as Legacy.

Game 31: 09-04-14 - Monster Loves You!
Cuteness overload. 100 %-ed it and loved all the little stories.

Game 32: 09-04-14 - Gunpoint
100 %-ed it in one night. Got completely hooked. Lovely little game.

Game 33: 09-05-14 - Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Loved the first part but had to drag myself through the rest.

Game 34: 09-06-14 - Knock-Knock
Scary and odd. Really odd.

Game 35: 09-06-14 - Anna
Don't know why I even finished this. Bad.

Game 36: 09-09-14 - Pikmin
Cute and sometimes a bit tricky. Liked it.

Game 37: 09-11-14 - SteamWorld Dig
Another game that instantly hooked me. Loved it.

Game 38: 09-12-14 - Pikmin 2
Liked it a lot less than the first one.

Game 39: 09-16-14 - 3D Dot Game Heroes
Played though it mostly because it looks so insanely cool. Can't say I had much fun in the end.

Game 40: 09-17-14 - Machinarium
Third time's the charm. Dunno why I didn't play much the first two times. Liked it a bunch.

Game 41: 09-17-14 - The Darkness II
The characters were cool, the tropes not so much.

Game 42: 09-19-14 - Phantasmagoria
Wow. No. :D

Game 43: 09-21-14 - Gomo
Cute but mostly meh, especially so soon after Machinarium.

Game 44: 09-22-14 - Sanitarium
First half was way better than the second. This is becoming a common problem for me :p

Game 45: 09-25-14 - F.E.A.R.
Another game I don't know why I finished. It was not interesting at all after the first 30 mins.

Game 46: 09-26-14 - The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
The more I think about this game the more I love it. Sure, most parts of it has faults and all that but the complete experience was amazing.

Game 47: 10-02-14 - Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
Not at all what I expected. Another game that felt a bit too long and repetitive but mostly it was pretty cool.

Game 48: 10-04-14 - Saints Row: The Third
I really don't know. This took a long time to finish. Lots of bugs with the co-op sadly.

Game 49: 10-07-14 - Kirby: Triple Deluxe
I really suck at Kirby games. But I had fun.

Game 50: 10-12-14 - Valiant Hearts: The Great War
I didn't know what kind of game this was when I started. Got a bit surprised but I really liked it... aside from the chase parts. But the music helped me through those.

Game 51: 10-15-14 - Costume Quest
I 100 %-ed this on PS3 when it released but never played the DLC. Have wanted to replay it since that got released so I'm happy I finally made myself do it :p Loved it as much as I did the last time and the DLC was great too.

Game 52: 10-17-14 - Costume Quest 2
Fun to play right after the first, both because you start right where DLC ends and because it's fun to see the graphical difference and such. Not too fond of all the changes, but I do believe that was because I played it in "hardcorn mode" and didn't have three party members to play the rock-paper-scissor system. Don't recommend doing that. Overall a better game than the first.

Finished the challenge and then some.

Game 1. 8th Jan - Journey (PS3)
Game 2. 11th Jan - Flower (PS3)
Game 3. 16th Jan - Rayman Legends (WiiU)
Game 4. 26th Jan - Metal Gear Solid (PSN)
Game 5. 2nd Feb - Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PS3)
Game 6. 8th Feb - Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS3)
Game 7. 15th Feb - Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)
Game 8. 19th Feb - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (PS3)
Game 9. 22nd Feb - Attack of the Friday Monsters! A Tokyo Tale (3DSDL)
Game 10. 23rd Feb - Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (XBLA)
Game 11. 26th Feb - The Swapper (Mac)
Game 12. 27th Feb - Dear Esther (Mac)
Game 13. 4th Mar - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (WiiU)
Game 14. 23rd Mar - Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon (XBLA)
Game 15. 29th Mar - inFAMOUS: Second Son (PS4)
Game 16. 6th Apr - Luigi's Mansion 2 (3DS)
Game 17. 8th Apr - Star Fox 64 3D (3DS)
Game 18. 17th Apr - Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist (WiiU)
Game 19. 29th Apr - Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy (3DS)
Game 20. 10th May - Spec Ops: The Line (PS3)
Game 21. 12th May - Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (MD)
Game 22. 18th May - Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
Game 23. 24th May - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS)
Game 24. 25th May - New Super Luigi U (WiiU)
Game 25. 29th May - Mario Tennis Open (3DS)
Game 26. 5th June - Fallblox (3DSDL)
Game 27. 9th June - The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS)
Game 28. 10th June - Steel Diver (3DS)
Game 29. 16th June - Mario Kart 8 (WiiU)
Game 30. 22nd June - Saints Row: The Third (XbxGoD)
Game 31. 29th June - Pullblox World (WiiUDL)
Game 32. 5th July - Conker: Live & Reloaded (Xbox)
Game 33. 10th July - Papers, Please (Mac)
Game 34. 11th July - To the Moon (Mac)
Game 35. 20th July - Max Payne 3 (360)
Game 36. 25th July - Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut (WiiU)
Game 37. 26th July - Yoshi's Story (N64)
Game 38. 26th July - flOw (PS3)
Game 39. 31st July - The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures (GCN)
Game 40. 1st Aug - Tearaway (PSVita)
Game 41. 10th Aug - The Last of Us Remastered (PS4)
Game 42. 13th Aug - Super Mario Land (GB)
Game 43. 16th Aug - Lumines Electronic Symphony (PSVita)
Game 44. 31st Aug - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (WiiU)
Game 45. 1st Sep - Game & Wario (WiiU)
Game 46. 8th Sep - Gravity Rush (PSVita)
Game 47. 11th Sep - Gone Home (Mac)
Game 48. 13th Sep - Killer7 (GCN)
Game 49. 18th Sep - Killer is Dead (360)
Game 50. 20th Sep - Proteus (Mac)
Game 51. 21st Sep - Joe Danger 2: The Movie (XBLA)
Game 52. 29th Sep - Hyrule Warriors (WiiU)
Game 53. 5 Oct - TimeSplitters: Future Perfect (Xbox)
Game 54. 9th Oct - Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (3DS)

Writing out comments for each game would take too long, so instead here are my favourite 5 games I finished this year in played order: Metal Gear Solid 3, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, The Last of us Remastered and Killer7.

Hoping to get to around 60 by the end of the year. Gonna be tough as i'm getting married in 2 weeks.

Ladekabel

I did write down the games I played this year, but without the time I played them. Only wrote down the games I beat the story mode.

January:

Game 1: Gunpoint (PC)
Game 2: Dust - An Elysian Tail (PC)
Game 3: Edge (3DS)
Game 4: Metal Gear Rising - Revengeance (PC)
Game 5: Toki Tori (PC)
Game 6: Just Cause (PC)
Game 7: Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
Game 8: Dragons Dogma - Dark Arisen (PS3)
Game 9: Bully - Scholarship Edition (PC)

February:

Game 10: Risen 2 - Dark Waters (PC)
Game 11: VVVVV (PC)
Game 12: Medal of Honor (PC)
Game 13: Tiny & Big: Grandpa's Leftover (PC)
Game 14: Trine (PC)
Game 15: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
Game 16: Homefront (PC)
Game 17: Red Faction: Armageddon (PC)
Game 18: Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)
Game 19: Trine 2 (PC)

March:

Game 20: Phoenix Wright - Dual Destinies (3DS)
Game 21: Rocchard (PC)
Game 22: Shatter (PC)
Game 23: Zone of the Enders HD (PS3)
Game 24: Rage (Xbox360)
Game 25: Botanicula (PC)
Game 26: Orcs Must Die! 2 (PC)
Game 27: Crimson Shroud (3DS)
Game 28: SteamWorld Dig (3DS)
Game 29: Halo - Combat Evolved Anniversary (Xbox360)
Game 30: Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War 2 (PC)
Game 31: Beyond Good & Evil HD (Xbox360)
Game 32: Raskulls (Xbox360)

April:

Game 33: South Park - Stick of Truth (PC)
Game 34: Outland (Xbox360)
Game 35: Dear Esther (PC)
Game 36: Little Inferno (PC)
Game 37: Cthulhu Saves the World (PC)

May:

Game 38: Dark Souls 2 (PC)
Game 39: Tearaway (PS Vita)
Game 40: Uncharted - Golden Abyss (PS Vita)
Game 41: Gravity Rush (PS Vita)
Game 42: Sly Cooper - Thieves in Time (Ps Vita)
Game 43: Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner HD (PS3)
Game 44: Muramasa Rebirth (PS Vita)
Game 45: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)
Game 46: The Gunslinger (Xbox360)

June:

Game 47: Asura's Wrath (Xbox360)
Game 48: Borderlands 2 (Xbox360)
Game 49: Bayonetta (Xbox360)

July:

Game 50: Assassin's Creed IV - Black Flag (PC)
Game 51: Dead Space 3 (PC)
Game 52: Wolfenstein - The New Order (PC)

Played more games afterward but I didn't keep track of them. Though I had more games on my backlog I kicked many because I didn't enjoy them.

The lesson I learned after this year about a backlog: Never ever again.

alekth

Game 30: The Blackwell Deception - 6 hours, finished October 10, PC
Very enjoyable, not as short as the previous one even with the (godsend) ability to walk faster. The story is shaping up really nicely and maybe I won't end for a sale for the last one.

Game 31: Gone Home - 1.5 hours, finished October 11, PC
Not sure what I was expecting. I knew about the the walking simulator fame, but nothing outside of that. It started very underwhelming, then stayed at a fairly consisting serviceable level and concluded well.

Game 32: KAMI - 5 hours, finished October 11, PC
Nice puzzle game, I would have probably appreciated it more on the go, but sneaking in some minutes here and there was doable enough on a pc. There is a challenge in quite a few of the puzzles if one goes for the perfect score, a simple clear for most is pretty much success at first try trivial.

full list

Pinewood

Initially set out to do this challenge, but as things wen't unexpected I'm fairly sure getting to 52 games completed would require either inhuman effort or some cunning trickery(cheating) I have decided to try and do half of the challenge - 26 games a year.

Games I have completed so far this year:

1. Max Payne 3 (PS3)
2. X-Men Origins: Wolverine Uncaged Edition (PS3)
3. DmC (PS3)
4. Bioshock: Infinite (PS3)
5. Journey (PS3)
6. Prince of Persia(2008)
7. Resistance 3 (PS3)
8. Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune (PS3)
9. Alan Wake (PC)
10. Tomb Raider (PS3)
11. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PS3)
12. Demon's Souls (PS3)
13. MGS 3 HD (PS3)
14. Wolfenstein: The New Order (PC)
15. Batman: Arkham Origins (PC)
xx. Harley Quinn’s Revenge (PS3)
xx. Cold, Cold Heart (PC)
16. Infamous: Festival of Blood (PS3)
17. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West (PS3)
18. Splinter Cell: Blacklist (PC)
19. NFS: Most Wanted (2012) (PS3)
xx. Alan Wake Special Chapters (PC)

I might have forgotten a title or two but I stopped logging when my Macbook containing the text file was out of order for a couple of months.

Alright, here's my list (took a while to get it ready!). It's split down by platform, and each platform is in the order it was played. (Note: they are not in chronological order overall, as I couldn't figure out when certain console games were beaten.)

Steam games are generally the most recent. Without further ado:

Xbox 360
Game 1: Dark Souls II - ~ 30-40 hours (360)

Yeah... I wasn't thrilled with this one. I completed it, but everything about it was lacking. Let me put it this way: When I finished Dark Souls, I started NG+ immediately. When I finished Dark Souls II, I put it back in its box and put it away.

Game 2: Rocksmith 2014 - ~70 hours (easily...)
I started out with some basic lessons already on my belt, but I've learned way more with Rocksmith (including the original) then I ever did with lessons. Love it.

PS3/PS4/Vita
Game 3: Killzone Shadow Fall - ~6-8 hours

Pretty generic. It looks nice, but it doesn't really do anything new in the gameplay department.

Game 4: Don't Starve Console Edition - ~10 hours
Extremely fun, but also extremely aggravating when you lose a couple hours of progress.

Game 5: Urban Trial Freestyle - ~10 hours

I actually had way more fun with this than I thought I would. It turned out to be pretty perfect as a portable game.

Game 6: Earth Defense Force 2025 - ~25-30 hours (at least...)
Pretty much took the worst thing from Insect Armageddon (classes) and mixed it with the best of EDF 2017. The result is pretty lackluster, in my opinion.
Dragons
are also way overused towards the end, and really make it a grind. 2017 is still the one to play, I wasn't a fan of this one (and that's me playing the Japanese one first, and then the US one when it came out here).

Game 7: Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - ~5 hours
Another "it was alright". I'm definitely interested in the non-demo game, but it was alright for a quick play and flip (i.e. play it and resell it for the same amount).

Game 8: inFamous Second Son - ~20 hours (Good Karma, 100%)
Not as good as inFamous 2, in my opinion, but still pretty good. It also helps that it's absolutely gorgeous.

Game 9: inFamous Second Son - ~8 hours (Evil Karma)
Compared to my Good Karma run, my Evil Karma run was a total slog. I felt like a total jerk, the other characters turned into jerks, and overall it just felt like a way, way worse game. My advice: stick to Good Karma, and pretend that Evil Karma doesn't exist.

Game 10: Stick It To The Man - ~8 hours (Platinum)
A pretty nice point-and-click-esque adventure game. Writing falls a bit flat too often for my tastes, but when it works, it works. A couple moments are pretty funny, but there were a few areas where what you were supposed to do were so abstract that I was stuck for a while. Otherwise, pretty good.

Game 11: Watch_Dogs - ~25 hours (at least...)
Not bad, but hugely disappointing. I was going to Platinum this but screw that drinking game and music finder.

Game 12: Hotline Miami - ~15 hours
I didn't go in expecting much, but I was pretty instantly hooked. Great game, good "puzzles" and awesome music. It's also pretty perfect as a portable game, so it was awesome on the Vita.

Game 13: Kingdoms of Amalur - ~30 hours

I had already played this on the 360, but I decided to go through it again on the PS3. Still pretty decent, but a little boring. Regardless, it scratched my RPG itch at the time, and set me up for...

Game 14: Dragon's Dogma - ~50 hours (Third time through, first time on PS3)
One of the most awesome RPGs in recent years. I generally don't replay RPGs three times (twice on the 360, once here) but this game deserves it. It's hard to describe, but it's easily summed up in one phrase: Wolves hunt in packs.

Game 15: Binary Domain - ~25 hours (Second time through, first time on PS3)
A truly underrated third-person shooter. It's essentially Gears of War, but with a crazy Japanese twist on it. Really good.

Wii U
Game 16: The Wonderful 101 - ~20-25 hours
This is pretty much the only game I had a Wii U for, and it was absolutely worth it. It's hard to explain, really, but if you watched early/mid nineties children cartoons, this is pretty much a game that feels like watching that. It also happens to trigger a nostalgia blast at least once every few chapters, so that's good too.

Game 17: New Super Mario Bros. U - ~10 hours
I originally wasn't a fan of this, but once I got some other people playing it became apparent that this is a really good party game. The gamepad is much better used as a touch-screen controller, though -- it's horrible if you're one of the players actually trying to jump around and do stuff. As an extension of the four active players, though, it's really fun.

Multiplayer-only
Game 18: Team Fortress 2 - ~50 hours this year
What else can I say but hats?

Game 19: CS:GO - ~75 hours this year
What else can I say but guns?

Game 20: Just Cause 2 Multiplayer - ~10 hours this year
What else can I say but grapple-locking a fighter jet to a golf cart while a Ninja flies a boat upside down through the air next to you?

Steam
Game 21: Assassin's Creed IV - Black Flag - ~30 hours (conservatively)
Probably the second-best Assassin's Creed game (behind Assassin's Creed II). Really fun, but I didn't want to waste a ton of time going for the pointless collectibles.

Game 22: The Stanley Parable - 5 hours
Really clever game with fantastic direction/humor. I went back and experimented to get all the endings.

Game 23: Sleeping Dogs - 22 hours
Way, way better than I was expecting going in. Plenty to do, and the campaign itself is pretty well done and well-paced.

Game 24: Surgeon Simulator - 4 hours
Difficult, but fun. I probably spent most of the 4 hours trying to pick up a tool, but it was still a really great 4 hours. Still need to get the new DLC, but that's for another time.

Game 25: Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut - 26 hours
Picked it up on a whim. Probably one of the best games I've played in a long time. It's hard to get it running (and to keep it running well!) but it's totally worth it. Everyone should play it.

Game 26: Guacamelee! Gold Edition - 7 hours
I was pretty sick when I played this, but it was really good. The level design was great, the music was fitting (and awesome), etc. A really well-made game.

Game 27: Civilization V - 13 hours
Steam says I've played it for 13 hours, but I'm 100% sure it's trolling me. I wish it was only 13 hours. Regardless, this game is one of the best multiplayer games I've played in its genre, and it's easily one of the biggest accidental timesinks ever. Also, Gandhi is totally a jerk. :(

Game 28: Max Payne 3 - 10 hours
If you can get past the crazy drug effect cutscenes, and the cutscenes around every corner, this is actually a really good game. I will admit that it was wearing thin towards the end, but up until that point I really enjoyed it.

Game 29: Metro: Last Light - 10 hours
Very, very good. Probably the best atmosphere I've seen since Half-Life 2.

Game 30: FEZ - 6 hours
I'll be honest, I did it for the Playfire rewards. It was alright, but nothing special.

Game 31: Spelunky - 5 hours (PC), 10 hours (360)
One word: addictive. Three more words: one more run.

Game 32: Goat Simulator - 6 hours
I counted this one as "finished" since I got all the achievements (before the DLC) except for stupid Flappy Goat one. Seriously, I probably spent 2 hours trying to get that dumb achievement and only walked away with my failures in tow.

Game 33: Batman: Arkham Origins - 8 hours
I'm of the "not as good as the Rocksteady ones" camp. It was "okay" but I couldn't help but feel that it would've been better if Rocksteady did it.

Game 34: Rogue Legacy - 14 hours
Had a lot of fun with this one. My only complaint was that it worse itself thin a bit towards the end (pretty much starting bum rushing to get to the end) but up until that point I was completely addicted.

Game 35: Gun Monkeys - 2 hours
I played it for a couple of hours with friends and it was alright. By the end of those few hours, though, I had pretty much seen everything the game had to offer (hence why I count it "completed").

Game 36: Hitman: Absolution - 10 hours
I went into it expecting it to be horrible, but was pleasantly surprised. Yeah, stealth is kind of broken, but run-and-gunning when you run out of options is still pretty fun. The locations were also pretty varied, which was nice.

Game 37: Binding of Isaac - 20 hours
I've got a lot more than 20 hours into this (it's my defacto "crap, internet's down" game). It's pretty amazing, nothing more to be said.

Game 38: The Lord of the Rings: War in the North - 12 hours
Played it in co-op after figuring out how to disable the forced game voice-chat (seriously, having to set my recording device to something else just so I can use Skype with this is an amazing blunder). It was alright, but nothing special. Without co-op I think I would have got tired of it way before I did (which, admittedly, was a good 3 or 4 hours before the end...).

Game 39: DOTA 2 - 31 hours
Let me put it this way: I don't even like DOTA 2 that much and I've still somehow put 30 hours into it.

Game 40: Dishonored - 14 hours (not including below DLC campaigns)
I wrote up some impressions about Dishonored (and it's DLC) in this post.

Game 41: Dishonored: Knife of Dunwall - ~ 3 hours
Game 42: Dishonored: Brigmore Witches ~ 5 hours

Game 43: Jazzpunk - 3 hours
Short, but extremely charming. Pretty much is the game equivalent of late 90's "teen" shows.

Game 44: Murdered: Soul Suspect - 7 hours
I wrote up some impressions about Murdered: Soul Suspect in this post.

Game 45: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - 18 hours
Pretty amazing from start to finish. The campaign is a bit boring (I blame that more on Lord of the Rings as material and Middle Earth as a setting being a bit overused) but the Nemesis system is absolutely a breath of fresh air.

Game 46: Gunpoint - 3 hours
Good puzzles, fun mechanics, nice music, an interesting story, good humor and it ends before it overstays it's welcome. What more can you want?

Game 47: Bleed - ~1 hour
A bit on the short side, but it's still really fun. The music rocks, too.

Game 48: AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! for the Awesome - ~2 hours
I had already completed the original (but it wouldn't let me import my save file, grr!) so I just stuck to the new content and completed that (but then it didn't award me my achievement for doing so, grr!). Still fun, still awesome, and still totally worth whatever amount of time you put into it.

Game 49: Sniper Elite 3 - ~8 hours
I actually enjoyed this one much more than I thought I would. A little gross sometimes when depicting what organs you obliterated with your shot, but otherwise a really solid third-person shooter. I'll probably revisit it in the future -- it was a lot of fun.

Game 50: Monster Loves You! - ~1 hours
As far as choose-your-own-adventure games go, this one is neither here nor there. It isn't particularly interesting, or charming, but on the other hand it is well-made. I only played through it once, but that was enough for me. It's not really anything special, but it's "alright" on it's own merits. It would benefit from some more charming writing.

Game 51: Battleblock Theatre - ~8 hours
I played this when it launched on the 360, but decided to do another co-op run on the Steam edition. Not much changed, a couple levels were tweaked, but the netcode was massively improved. Still, it's really hard to enjoy playing it again, so twice is enough.

Game 52: Metro 2033 Redux - ~9 hours
I played the original partway through, but could never finish it (I got stuck somewhere and never went back to it). Let me just say, this game totally rocks. I absolutely loved Last Light, and this is pretty much more of the same awesomeness. It had some pacing issues, I think, but overall it's really, really good. The Redux version looks and runs a lot better to boot, and the "Last Light" combat mode is a welcome improvement over the original combat. All and all, an extremely enjoyable experience.​

Momentary

Banned
Finally finished. Mordor was a good end to the long journey. Now I don't know whether to wait for next year to beat more games or just keep going.

eot

Banned
Game 39: Limbo - 3 hours, Oct 15th
Limbo is all about style over substance. For me mechanics tend to be very important to my enjoyment of games, so the fact that Limbo looks amazingly stylish isn't enough to make me enjoy it when almost nothing about the gameplay draws me in. In fact most of the gameplay pushes me away. Too many platforming segments with needlessly unforgiving timing that feel like they belong in a different game, and puzzles that at times channel adventure game nonsense.

Game 40: Masq - 1 hour, Oct 16th
I did two playthroughs of it. The amount of branching in the story is impressive, but how quickly things spiral out of control seemingly no matter what you do takes me out of it a bit. I got a better ending the second time, but still far from a good one. Definitely worth playing though, it's free.

Game 41: Capsized - 2.5 hours, Oct 17th
This game didn't make a strong impression on me either way. The traversal mechanics work quite well, but the game never asks you to do much with them. It's quite well made, aside from one level that pissed me off I didn't have any problems with it. There was just nothing about it that hooked me.

Game 42: Volgarr the Viking - 11 hours, Oct 22nd
There are a lot of 2D pixel graphics retro indie games, but few as good as this one. The design is elegant, with simple mechanics that hide a lot of nuance and level design that makes the most of it. The only thing I wasn't completely on board with was the bosses, which are mostly about positioning. The boss of the 2nd world in particular made me think that perhaps it should be more forgiving or there be a closer checkpoint, but it didn't bother me that much. The only other complaint I have is that I don't like a few of the jumping puzzles where they block you vertically from your jump point, so that you tend to hit something above your head and fall down. Might do the path of the valkyrie later, when I have more time.

Game 43: Dust: An Elysian tale - 7 hours, Oct 25th
This game never quite clicked with me. I don't mind the artstyle (a lot of the art is fantastic) but the voice acting was a little off putting. I ended up skipping through a lot of it. As for the combat, I enjoyed it at first in large part due to how cool it looks, but character action games have never been my thing. I don't like learning specific input sequences and trying to execute them, maybe because I never grew up playing those kinds of games. So I ended up cheesing a lot of the encounters later on, also just to get through them faster because boy there's a lot of combat to get through in this game. I know it's my fault for not really engaging with the combat system, so I can't judge it on that. However, related to that is the health system which I didn't like. You can get a few healing items as drops from enemies, but you'll have to buy most of them and the price : healing ratio is awful, to the point where you can easily end up spending most on your money just on healing items. I found it particularly bothersome in the platforming sections with spikes everywhere. As far as annoying platforming sections go I wouldn't rate them that high (I like the platforming overall), however when a single mistake costs you a quarter of your health bar that you have to pay money to replenish each mistake becomes that much more annoying.

Game 44: Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers - 2 hours, Nov 3rd
Pretty straightforward game that doesn't overstay its welcome. I liked it more for its aesthetics (it's quite charming) than its gameplay, which doesn't change at all over the course of the game. It seems like they didn't have that many ideas for what to do with the cutting mechanic. In a lot of cases it also leads to 'ugly' puzzle solutions. I'm not sure it's a good mechanic, it's too unfocused and powerful. On the plus side it has a quite unique soundtrack, which is good for the most part.

Game 45: Jazzpunk - 2 hours, Nov 4th
I liked it. Not all the jokes hit, but there were a few that got me good. I'm glad I didn't pay full price for it though.

Game 46: Diablo II - 14 hours, Nov 9th
I had been a few years since I last fired up DII, but it still hooked me the way it always does. Since BNet isn't in the best state anymore (dealing with the temp bans sucks the fun out of the game) I decided to play offline, for maybe the first time ever. There are mods that enable the ladder only runewords and uniques, which is great. You can add things like shared stash too. I haven't gone through Hell yet, I think I might start over and play HC instead. That's where the real game is.

Game 47: POP: Methodology Experiment One - 40 min, Dec 18th
A short, strange thing of a game. I suggest you watch the trailer on youtube. The music's good.

Game 48: 140 - 1 hour, Dec 20th
A short music based platformer. I thought it was fantastic. Just a great execution of a simple idea. It never gets too frustrating, nor does it overstay its welcome. The music's great too, which is obviously important. It's nice to play something this focused once in a while.

Game 49: Bleed - 1 hour, Dec 21st
Pretty solid game, mechanically. It feels like the kind of game that wants you to not get hit at all, so I suspect the real enjoyment lies in mastering the stages. I'm not into 2D shooters enough to do that though and just getting through a level without having done well isn't all that satisfying. It also has the problem I have with most slow-mo mechanics, in that they usually lead to the game being tuned so that it's a little too fast without the slow-mo. Anyway, it's good but unremarkable. If you like this genre more than I do you should probably play it.

Game 50: Hexcells - 2 hours, Dec 22nd
A deduction based puzzle game. I'm not as crazy about it as RPS was last year. It feels a bit too much like solving a Sudoku, but then people never seem to get enough of those. I think I prefer puzzle games that make you explore some spatial mechanic, like say The Swapper. Of course solving puzzles in those games is also about deductive reasoning, but not as explicitly as here. There's not much room for "aha" moments. As a framework for spitting out endless amounts of puzzles, like Sudoku, it's all right, but it's something to occupy yourself with rather than something enriching.

Game 51: Shatter - 2.5 hours, Dec 23rd
I think this was a little bloated mechanically, it loses what's fun about Breakout. I also had some annoying audio bugs where a sound effect would loop over and over, even between stages. Aside from that it's quite polished though, and it's got a nice presentation. I just wasn't particularly into push/pull mechanic.

Game 52: Bernband - 30 min, Dec 24th
Even as someone who generally doesn't like walking sims I found this game enjoyable. It does a surprisingly good job at creating a city that feels like a city, more so than almost any other game I can think of. The low resolution (looks like it's 240p, at most) is almost a little too much at times, I had to sit further back from my screen to not get eye strain, but there's still something to the look of this thing. It plays around with lighting to great effect, and that's really what makes the look of the game. I wouldn't want a full game with this aesthetic, but I think there are things other games could learn here. It manages to be very evocative despite being so simple.

Spyware

Woop! Just finished game 52 :D Updated the post above.

Game 50: 10-12-14 - Valiant Hearts: The Great War
I didn't know what kind of game this was when I started. Got a bit surprised but I really liked it... aside from the chase parts. But the music helped me through those.

Game 51: 10-15-14 - Costume Quest
I 100 %-ed this on PS3 when it released but never played the DLC. Have wanted to replay it since that got released so I'm happy I finally made myself do it :p Loved it as much as I did the last time and the DLC was great too.

Game 52: 10-17-14 - Costume Quest 2
Fun to play right after the first, both because you start right where DLC ends and because it's fun to see the graphical difference and such. Not too fond of all the changes, but I do believe that was because I played it in "hardcorn mode" and didn't have three party members to play the rock-paper-scissor system. Don't recommend doing that. Overall a better game than the first.

During the summer I never throught I would get my drive back in time to finish this but I finished 32 games in less than 2 months. What. :D

Congrats to everyone else who also finished!

IcyStorm

I made a long overdue update because I hadn't updated my post since late January. Currently at 45 games... and simultaneously playing through Bayonetta, Dead Space 2, Ace Attorney Investigations, DiRT 3, and Final Fantasy XIII.

This year I've also started a bunch of games including Eternal Darkness, Majora's Mask, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, Liberty City Stories, Demon's Souls, The Witcher 2, and Uncharted 3, but I don't know when I'll get back to those (or any of the games that I haven't mentioned). Too many games!

Game 31: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - October 12th, 2014 - 9 hours
KSYNpXd.png

Weird background with this game. I played the original Uncharted back in 2009 via a friend whose copy I borrowed. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but at the time, I was in a real gaming lull, so I didn't think about the series again. Fast forward a few years and my parents gave me a copy of Uncharted 3. Having heard people say you could just watch these cinematic games on YouTube and get the same thing out of it, I did just that to catch up on what I missed in U2. Fast forward to this last week where I started and finished U2.

I can now say that it's one of my favorite games I've played on the PS2. I can also say that the whole "watch on YouTube crowd" is full of crap. I have a few friends who constantly insist that you can watch TLOU and get the same experience as playing it. What a crock of nonsense. Watching Uncharted 2 did not do justice to what an excellent game it is. From the graphics and art-style that still hold up today, to the music which is just sweeping and beautiful, to the story which is engaging and intriguing, to the excellent gun-play. All of those things added up to be a very, very compelling package.

You hear people complain about cinematic style games like Uncharted 2. Maybe their complaints are warranted. All I know is that U2 is a game that takes things that other games do terrible (corridors) and makes them excellent (
The train comes to mind here
). There's a reason the game is so widely praised, and it's not because of some unsubstantiated hype train
lol trains
. The game deserves every plaudit it gets. I will honestly be replaying this because I enjoyed it that much.

Game 33: Pix the Cat - October 13th, 2014 - 3.5 hours
pz0Tt8p.png

I didn't like this one that much honestly. It was fun for a few hours, but I pretty quickly hit a skill wall. I don't understand the scores people get on this game. Yes, it's reminiscent of Pac-Man Championship Edition DX. Yes, it's got a clever little take on this style of game. Yes, the score-attack is compelling (if you're into that). Yes, the music and visuals are trippy and utterly fantastic. But by and large, this just wasn't for me.

Game 34: Super Smash Bros for 3DS - October 15th, 2014 - 20+ hours
HFjMUa1.png

I didn't think I would enjoy this as much as I have. I got it mostly out of a sense of obligation since my three other 3DS owning buddies picked it up. It's been huge amounts of fun both solo and multiplayer. The solo alone gave me plenty of content to mess around with from the challenges to Classic mode to Smash Run. The music is solid, the stages are solid, the characters are incredibly solid.

Among my few complaints are, perhaps unsurprisingly, the clones. I don't mind that there ARE clones, I just don't like some of the clones they picked (notably Dark Pitt and Dr. Mario). In terms of StreetPass, I feel like they could have come up with something a bit more compelling than they did. But aside from those minor quibbles, the rest of the package is great. Playing with friends has been great. Every time we're together, we whip out our copies and play together. I love having my Miis in the game, especially since I have a pretty extensive catalog of Miis modeled on things like animes, celebrities and movies. Although I haven't finished the last two challenge boards, I have finished obtaining all levels and characters, and as far as I'm concerned, that's a completion. I'll still be playing with friends, but not nearly as much solo.

Game 33: Mario Kart 8 - October 17th, 2014 - 10 hours
wzqVIKu.png

This game is weird, because contrary to Super Smash, I haven't finished unlocking everything. There are still characters and vehicle stuff to unlock. But for the most part, I'm pretty done with this game. By the time I bought my copy, I was pretty burned out from playing hours and hours with a friend on his console. The game is great, and while playing it, I actually played with my dad. It was the first time in quite a while that we've played a game together.

The racing is top notch, the new items are great and by God does the game look amazing. I was not expecting such top-notch graphics. Also the music, the music is fantastic. Still, it's a pretty "family" oriented game (not that such a label is bad), and now my thirst for a real racer has been renewed. Really looking forward to getting back into some hardcore racing (a la Project Cars).

PART ONE
PART TWO
PART THREE

Hubb

OP

46) Infamous 2 11H

I have the same pros and cons for this game as I do for the first one. Biggest annoyance is just getting around. This one seemed to tone down traveling from one side of the map and then back again, but some of it was still there. And fuck the capping fire vents mission, wasn't hard, just annoying.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I just completed my 52nd game, which was Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes on the Playstation 4.

Link to the full post

Even though I've played through 52, don't think I'm stopping here!

Axass

First post with games completed from January to September.

- SEPTEMBER -

Game 23: Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise - 8/10 - hours
Completed the game and got all gold medals (not all perfects yet though). As usual the rhythm series has top notch gameplay in its category, but I couldn't shake the feeling that something was lacking in this iteration. It's not the amount of content, rather it's about a certain feeling of sameness pervading most of the games: you can only press A or A+B, no other options, of course it was a conscious choice to embrace semplicity and immediacy, but the result is a shallow experience compared to the GBA and DS iterations.

Game 24: Fire Emblem: Awakening - 7,5/10 - 131:28 hours
I've played this game I lot, mostly because I committed the error to start it at the highest difficulty setting with permanent deaths, even though I only played Shadow Dragon at normal before: I died a lot. Completed the campaign and all optional missions. Speaking of missions, they are lacking in variety and the game soon turns into a grindfest (at least using the difficulty setting I chose), relationships are nice, but they come at the expense of a more detailed overall story. Characters are unique in their presentation and personality, not so much in the actual gameplay, due to anyone being able to take on almost any role/class. After a while actual strategy takes a seatback in favour of straightforward spearheading tactics employing the most powerful characters in your party.

Game 25: Luftrausers - 6,5/10 - 7 hours
Finished the hmmm... campaign? Well it's a nice fun game if played in short bursts, with a stylish presentation and cool flying mechanics, but the novelty soon wears off: not enough variety in enemies and weird design decisions (blimps appearing after a certain "numerical value" of shootdowns, even though nobody tells you and there's no way to check that number in game). The in-game rewards and "missions" keep you playing for a while, even after you've seen everything the game has to offer, but it eventually gets boring.

- OCTOBER -

Game 26: The Bridge - 6/10 - 5 hours
Completed the main game, I'm more then halfway in the mirror world but kind of lost interest. The game takes a lot from Escher's paintings for its aestethics and heavily from Braid in terms of gameplay; in fact it takes so much from it that it lacks a bit of personality, it even goes as far as using the same pseudo-philosophical narrations in between worlds, hidden collectibles akin to Braid's stars, and the same hub: a house. The puzzles, although fun in the way they're solved, are sometimes too easy, sometimes almost broken, especially those involving the curtains in the later stages; the controls are really loose and don't help at all in solving the puzzles.

Game 27: Gunpoint - 7,5/10 - 7 hours
Completed the storyline with all A+ rankings and got almost all achievements. The game's very limited in what you can do: yes you can approach things in more than one way, but those various ways remain the same ones for all the missions. The gameplay doesn't evolve much during the course of the campaign, which, by the way, is very short and repetitive: all missions are "hack this and get out", the optional goals aren't worth your time, unless you accidentally complete them without even noticing (happened to me most of the times). Also the story doesn't really branches off, unless you consider that one instance when you can choose between two different missions; for the rest it's all minor stuff that doesn't actually change the way the plot unfolds. There are very insteresting things, such as the way upgrades work, the cross-link system, the way the plot is narrated and the great sense of humour employed by the developer. it's a unique gameplay gem, but it's not that mind-blowing of a game.

Game 28: Pikmin 3 - 8,5/10 - 34:11 hours
Completed the campaign with all fruits, and got a platinum in every free co-op challenge. Another great entry in the franchise, but it falls short of the first two; the game has been overly simplified: unlike what happened in the previous games, here you're constantly guided towards a certain objective, you can see where are all the fruits almost from get go, you really have no urgency whatsoever like in first game because the fruit buffer gets enormous quickly. Moreover the pikmin are almost invincible, they don't insta-die due to electricity anymore, even when they are squished under someone's feet they usually just get planted in the ground: the challenge just isn't there anymore, not even the final boss proves to be a worthy opponent. The game's also shorter and has less content than Pikmin 2, it's disappointing that the white and purple pikmin can only be used in the challenge, though the new flying and rock pikmin are amazing additions, especially the former. speaking of challenges, they're like crack, you can replay them ad nauseam, but it's too bad they're not too many and you have to buy the remaining ones.

- NOVEMBER -

Game 29: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - 8/10 - around 15 hours
Completed the game, got all heart pieces and all the optional stuff but the missable photos. I hate to say it, but I think it's the worst Zelda I've ever played (I only need to play the original and Zelda II to complete the list), that isn't to say it's bad, in fact it's a good game, it just lacks a certain something: you can see it was made for a very limited handheld. One thing that really irked me is the lack of a proper way of quick transport: the warp points are placed weirdly and you can't reach certain places without huge detours, also the very basic and seldom helpful map isn't exactly hot stuff; the missable photos are a no-no, especially since you can't ever complete the album, due to having to choose between two different photos: wtf?

Game 30: Super Mario Land [replay] - 6/10 - around 40 minutes
Completed it fairly easily, the game is a breeze to get through. My nostalgia goggles shattered: it's a very average game that lacks basically anything that makes Mario great: the platforming is weak, the level design absolutely uninspired, the jumping physics and collision lacking. On the plus side it's weird as hell, you can tell it was made by Gunpei Yokoi: a level based around the Easter Island, exploding Koopas, shoot 'em up sections and alien abductions!

Game 31: Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins [replay] - 7/10 - around 2 hours
Now, this one actually feels like Mario, even though it's still weird as hell. A good amount of the levels are boring and mostly maze-like, the challenge there isn't in the jumps but in finding the right path. The rabbit outfit is kinda redundant, they could have used Tanuki Mario instead. The last level is rage inducing: the game's been pretty tame till that point, then the difficulty curve becomes a freakin' wall and you lose dozens of lives all at once; they could've put a check point halfway or something damn!

Game 32: Half Minute Hero - 8,5/10 - 14:20 hours
Completed Hero 30, Evil Lord 30, Princess 30, Knight 30 and Hero 300, didn't try Hero 3 seriously yet, looks hard though. An amazing game to play in short bursts, the gimmick sounds stupid but works pretty well for what actually is all but an RPG (I'd say the main modes are in order: action puzzle, rts, runner, tower defense); however after the greatness that is Hero 30, with its numerous branching paths, secrets, great humour and immense replayability, the other modes kind of fall short of it, it's clear the meat of the game is Hero 30 and the other stuff is just there to diversify the experience.

Game 33: Kirby's Block Ball - 7,5/10 - around 7hours
Completed all the border lines and got the true ending. An Arkanoid/Breakout clone with style: you can inflate Kirby for more power, you can absorb powers from enemies, the stages are very different and you may have to use rackets on up to all the four sides of the screen in some of them, there are bosses, bonus stages to gain more lives and all the distinctive elements of the series. Best Arkanoid clone I've ever played.

Game 34: Kirby's Dream Land 2 - 7/10 - around 5 hours
Completed the game but haven't got all rainbow shards yet. It's leaps and bounds better than the first, it features the copy ability and animal friends, who add depth to the gameplay by altering the power in possession of Kirby accordingly. The level design is much better and the game's much longer.

Game 35: Kirby's Dream Land [replay] - 5,5/10 - around 1 hour
Completed the standard game. It's boring and overly simplicistic, not having the usual copy ability really hurts the game in retrospective.

Game 36: Kid Dracula - 6/10 - around 5 hours
It's a very clever action platformer, always throwing something new in your way, being it different ways to navigate the stage, new enemies or lots of powers to use. Actually you get so many powers that it's hard to navigate them, especially since the game can be though as iron and you can't afford to waste time, moreover you only regularly use like three of them, some like the umbrella are useful in just like two places in the whole game.

Game 37: Kirby and the Amazing Mirror - 8,5/10 - around 15 hours
Beat the final boss but still have to get may hidden treasures. Best Kirby game I've ever played... but it's not your typical Kirby game at all: it mixes the platforming and lore of the series with a metroidvania inspired progression, with a huge number of branching paths to follow, an interconnected big world, a maze-like structure, an auto-mapping feature and hidden treasures. The "going back to old areas with new items" part of the metroidvania genre is handled in a different way though, as you'll have to copy the right power to proceed in certain parts of the game, even though the powers aren't really progression based, you can get most of them in most of the "worlds" you visit. Amazing game, which offers hours upon hours of simple yet complex fun.

Game 38: Kirby's Pinball Land - 6,5/10 - around 3 hours
Beat Dedede. The game's cool and uses the Kirby franchise and characters in very funny and clever ways inside the pinballs, but there are some huge problems: having to beat all tables in one go to reach the end is a nightmare, sometimes the bosses are unfair, considering you can only do so much and most of the time Kirby's defenseless in the air; the whole game in general feels unfair in how it handles the trajectories of the ball, often ending in the lateral holes, where you can't do anything but watch the ball fall; yes, there's a safety net you can use to save the ball when you reach the deepest hole of the table, but then you slowly have to crawl your way to the top, fearing that one single error may force you to restart again, and again, and again.

Game 39: Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land - 6,5/10 - around 7 hours
Completed 100%. The main problem of the game is that it tries to rely on nostalgia alone, it really doesn't have anything that makes it stand out on its own, it's just yet another Dream Land game, it does't even feature animal friends like DL2, or any of the innovations of the newest Kirby games. It's really uninspired, not bad, but nothing to write home about. The map is cool but that's it.

Game 40: Drill Dozer - 8/10 - around 15 hours
Drilled through the game till the very end, I've seen everything it has to offer. An amazing and sadly overlooked action platformer which can really put you to the test with the secret maps. The gameplay reaches its peak when you're jumping from platform to platform by reverse drilling yourself out of various mechanisms, dodging insta-death lasers, using enemies as trampolines and solving maddening puzzles requiring a great comprehension of the game's working. Too bad the gameplay is watered down by a very forgettable plot, bland characters and the need to always power up twice in every stage to reach full throttle. It's one of those games you wish the made a sequel to refine the gameplay and address the few problems: we'd have a masterpiece.

Game 41: Super Mario Ball [replay] - 7,5/10 - around 7 hours
Completed the main quest, only left a bunch of stars. My favourite electronic pinball, it mixes Mario 64 adventure with the usual antics of any pinball, and most importantly it saves you progress, unlike Kirby's Pinball. Here the difficulty lies more in the tasks you have to complete to get the stars than in the fact you have to beat the whole game with just 3 damn balls. I have to say some stars are excruciatingly hard to get, especially when the ball seems to refuse to go in that one direction you need, but it's not unfair as in Kirby's Pinball, you can feel you made an error you could avoid 90% of the times. I suggest anyone to try it, it's full of nice touches and little surprises: a great execution.

- DECEMBER -

Game 42: Pandora's Tower - 8/10 - DURATION PLAYED
Got the best ending on my first try! I'm glad the game managed to reach our hands, here in the western world, it's a peculiar action game mixed with elements of a dating sim: it's incredible how you come to really feel empathy for Elena and her curse, talking with her never feels artificial or robotic, there's plenty of dialogue options and situations throughout the game. Aeron uses the chain in many ways, really making it shine as a unique weapon, however the combat is pretty limited and can get stale. The towers are great, but they reuse too many assets, especially the second part of the game is almost a copy-paste work. It's weird how they chose to lock so much stuff (gifts, secret rooms, texts) in the post-game, when your drive to play (checking new towers and lifting Elena's curse) is gone.

Game 43: Evoland - 7/10 - 8:06 hours
Done everything but maxing level for the main character. An interesting experiment that could have used more time and polish, the game's not atrociously bugged as release day though. The upgrade mechanic feels mostly good but, while it goes very quickly at the very start, once you proceed onwards it gets watered down and you only get mostly minor stuff for the rest of the game. The action adventure part (Zelda-like) is the best part of the game, while the RPG oriented (FF-like) part feels way more rushed: too little options and too many mindless random encounters. Story and characters are pure trash, but that's not the point of a game which could be called "Citation: The Game".

Game 44: Mario Kart 8 - 8,5/10 - DURATION PLAYED
Got all gold trophies with three stars (DLC too), beat all time trials ghosts and unlocked everything but that damn golden glider (10.000 coins? Really Nintendo?). One of the best entries in the series, if not the best one; the online is an amazing experience, even though I don't really like how tournaments are handled, but the battle mode is a damn shame: a good battle mode would have made the game almost falwless.

Game 45: Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet - 7,5/10 - around 14 hours
Completed 100% the campaign, played the multiplayer modes a little by myself. Nice, but not very ambitious, metroidvania game: the power ups are cool but the various zones are almost always too dependent on a specific one, that also means that the backtracking to get items isn't a huge part of the game. It's a little too linear for its own good, which isn't something good for a metroidvania game, though the artsyle and atmosphere make up for that.

Game 46: Shadowrun Returns - 7,5/10 - 23:48 hours
Completed the Dead Man's Switch campaign with a rifle-wielding Shaman with max charisma, many points in Will and spellcasting. Never played the original, so the cyberpunk+magic setting was fresh to me, however I feel the developers didn't really flesh out the setting enough. The leveling system is a little perplexing at first, it took me a while to understand how to use conjuring for example: you have to put points in three different lines AND buy the various magics from a spellshop, which is also the only place where you can equip them, at least for a good part of the game. The plot is good, but too straightforward, the characters are nice, but they feel underdeveloped: you never feel like the game really offers you a choice, every choice brings you to the same place with few variations, there are no branching paths, no morality system, no exploration outside the game's constant guidelines. In the end, also due to the many little bugs, it feels like an unpolished project.

Game 47: Rocket Knight Adventures - 7/10 - around 5 hours
The game holds up quite well the test of time, great graphics and quick gameplay. It's a solid action platformer, with a great world and lots of variety, that doesn't hold any punches, in fact I was only able to end the game at *cough*Children*cough* difficulty. The game relies a little too much on pattern memorization, especially for some bosses, who are heartless and give you no other option than a narrow predetermined path.

Game 48: Super Mario 3D World [with gf] - 9/10 - DURATION PLAYED
Done everything but completing all levels with all characters. Great 3D Mario game, full of charm, surprises and multiplayer fun; the graphics are amazing, especially the artstyle employed by EAD, and let's not talk about that lighting. The amount of stuff and diversity contained in the game is mindblowing, especially the "post-game" worlds. It's clear the game has been created with multiplayer in mind, that shows in the way the camera works, which is one of my major gripes with the game, since it makes precision jumping quite difficult; it shows in the level design as well, which is somewhat off at times when playing alone. The run button is a big no-no in a 3D Mario, especially implemented like in this game, the watered down jump mechanics (no triple jump) are also puzzling. Champion Road is not so hard, amateurs. ;)

Game 49: Ittle Dew - 7,5/10 - 2:57 hours
Completed the game with sword and teleport rod only, using a huge shortcut, then went back to get th last item (ice wand), still have to get all the treasures and secrets. What Zelda would be if stripped away of his story, NPCs and exploration: dungeon after dungeon after dungeon; even the rare patches of overworld are littered with caves that are basically one room dungeons. The game, being a simple Zelda clone, managed to impress me: the puzzles are much harder than the usual Zelda stuff and really force you to think out of the box, especially those that grant access to the shortcuts. That's the best part of the game: you can really choose your own route, forgoing items and entire dungeons to reach the end quicker by taking a harder path. That's where the game shines (incredible artstyle and animation aside), there's an actual achievement to finish the game in under 15 minutes; the game could take around 3 hours if you take your time, more to get every collectible, but the great thing is to replay it and experiment with the shortcuts.

Game 50: Guacamelee! Gold Edition [with gf] - 8/10 - around 10 hours
We've beaten Calaca at normal difficulty, and found 70% of the stuff the game has to offer (we'll surely be back for the rest). Amazing artstyle and flair, catchy music, challenging platforming, great combat, full of secret rooms: it's a nice beat 'em up with metroidvania vibes, even though the exploration is not as complex as the masterpieces of the genre. The story is nice but nothing to write home about, in fact the cutscenes are oft too long and you just wish you could smash something instead. The enemies aren't too varied and the game's not that long, however you never bore: the power ups are all great to use and all add something cool to the combat and exploration, none of them feel as an afterthought, the combat itself never tires and is well balanced with the exploration and platforming.

Game 51: Little Inferno [replay] - 7/10 - 6:21 hours
Got all combos and finished the game. It's an incredibly addictive timewaster that tries to make you feel bad for playing it. Clever.

Game 52: Pullblox - 8/10 - 39:15 hours
100% completed. Very cool and innovative way of thinking puzzles and action puzzle games, a good mix of puzzles and platforming. The main mechanic is a clever concept but it feels underdeveloped, even with the addition of the various mechanisms: the puzzles feel mostly the same and get repetitive after a while, especially the non-mural ones: you can only do so many increasingly difficult multicoloured towers before the feeling of deja-vu sets in. The rewind mechanic is a godsend, and doesn't make solving the puzzles cheap thanks to the fact it's timed. There's a serious pacing problem though: the first half of the game is too damn easy, the second half of the game is too danm hard.

Sendou

Game 25: Luftrausers - 6,5/10 - 7 hours
Finished the hmmm... campaign? Well it's a nice fun game if played in short burst, with a stylish presentation and cool flying mechanics, but the novelty soon wears off: not enough variety in enemies and weird design decisions (blimps appearing after a certain "numerical value" of shootdowns, even though nobody tells you and there's no way to check that number in game). The in-game rewards and "missions" keep you playing for a while, even after you've seen everything the game has to offer, but it eventually gets boring.

Did you finish the final/hardest mission (25K in SFMT with random engine). I have been stuck on that for months. It's a flawed game but I can't put it down :p

Oh and congratulations jshackles!

Axass

Did you finish the final/hardest mission (25K in SFMT with random engine). I have been stuck on that for months. It's a flawed game but I can't put it down :p

Oh and congratulations jshackles!

Yeah, I wish. I started losing patience in SFMT mode when I kept getting one shotted by missiles coming out of nowhere and such. When I said I finished the campaign, I meant the normal stuff. Still coming back to the game now and then though, so maybe in the future (far future)...

Hubb

OP

47) Under Defeat HD 4H

I don't play many Shumps, and I can't tell you the last time I played one. I don't know if this game is hard or I just have a learning curve, but I was terrible at first. All and all picking the game up for 2.50 made for a nice Sunday game waiting for football to start.

I have no idea what picking different models did in the game other than make minor changes to the look of the helicopter/plane.

Fugu

I have fallen massively behind on this due to life and stuff. But I'm going to see how close I can get. Working on Might and Magic III at the moment.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Game 49

Alien Isolation, PS4. Finished it on normal. Such a breath of fresh air, it wasnt perfect, buti missed this kind of game. very tense, everything very deliberate.

Lemstar

53: Titanfall (PC) - 11h (08/26/14 - 10/19/14)

"Finishing" both the "campaigns" seems like a reasonable time to put it on the list. I'll still be playing it, though.

The population on PC definitely isn't massive, but there aren't problems finding matches until about 1am local time (4am Pacific), so I'm not complaining.

As far as the game itself goes, there's a ton of stuff I like about it. Infantry actually being able to injure titans is well-implemented - something that I really wish MW4 Mercenaries with the usermade expansions could have pulled off. Integration of vertical elements into level design is great. Titan combat is generally enjoyable. Having bots to shoot is a nice touch, too.

I'd probably be liking the game less if I weren't doing better than I normally do in shooters, but the game actually handles my laggy ass Hawaiian connection pretty well. (The smart pistol existing doesn't hurt.)

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Game 1: Bioshock - 11 Hours
Completed on 01/11/2014

Game 2: Bioshock 2 - 8 Hours
Completed on 01/19/2014

Game 3: South Park: The Stick of Truth - 14 Hours
Completed on 04/13/2014

Game 4: Bioshock Infinite - 16 Hours
Completed on 04/20/2014

Game 5: Max Payne 3 - 12 Hours
Completed on 04/27/2014

Game 6: Dishonored - 27 Hours
Completed on 05/25/2014

Game 7: Dark Souls 2 - 236 Hours
Completed on 08/25/2014

Game 8: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - 4.3 Hours
Completed on 10/20/2014

Weiss

Banned
Might as well keep adding until the end.

Game 53: Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble - 10 hours

Whoever made Lightning Look Out needs to be kicked in the face.

Wensih

Game 53: Mirror's Edge
#Mix feelings about this game; when the traversal is fast and seemless it's great. When you take fall damage causing you to slow down, when you have to engage in combat, or when you have to stop and search because there is only one correct way to proceed, the game is terrible. It's a cool concept, but very flawed execution.

flkraven

I've finally done it! Got 52 last night after finishing Saints Row IV:

Games 1 to 38
Games 39 to 52

Some stats:

Stats from Completed Games:
Total Games: 52
Total Hours Played: 1,297
Average Hours per Game: 24.94

What's even more amazing, is that these numbers don't count all the hours of games I either stopped halfway through, haven't completed yet, or am replaying.

eot

Banned
Game 42: Volgarr the Viking - 11 hours, Oct 22nd
There are a lot of 2D pixel graphics retro indie games, but few as good as this one. The design is elegant, with simple mechanics that hide a lot of nuance and level design that makes the most of it. The only thing I wasn't completely on board with was the bosses, which are mostly about positioning. The boss of the 2nd world in particular made me think that perhaps it should be more forgiving or there be a closer checkpoint, but it didn't bother me that much. The only other complaint I have is that I don't like a few of the jumping puzzles where they block you vertically from your jump point, so that you tend to hit something above your head and fall down. Might do the path of the valkyrie later, when I have more time.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
What's even more amazing, is that these numbers don't count all the hours of games I either stopped halfway through, haven't completed yet, or am replaying.
1300 hours is alot on its own x.x; Well now I feel alil better about my time spent!

It shouldn't be a revelaiton that Capcpom messes things up! Not when so long ago they mixed up the disc numbers for one of their games! Remember, if ya wanna play Strider 2, don't pick the disc with the 2 on it!

Games Beaten: 45 / 52
Total Playtime: 548 hours, 54 minutes

01 - 33!
34 - ??!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom