• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Yosemite [OT]

Ugh. Figured I'd do a quick update tonight and then do the real fresh install over the weekend. My highly accurate installation timer stared out at 22 minutes. 15 minutes later it's climbed to 24 minutes.

aparisi2274

I did some research on apple's site and found what you need to run their new features...

15550903461_d4f02404a8_z.jpg

15366957259_30187ce30b_z.jpg

15367446268_3771d798d1_z.jpg

Hope this helps....

Zizbuka

Banned
I've never owned a Mac, I think I want one to play with. I like tinkering around, software/OS/UI more than hardware. Would a Mac Mini be OK? I wouldn't want it as my main PC, just to see the Mac experience and play around with it.

What does $499 actually get me? Can I hook it to my old Dell monitor, via DVI or HDMI? Any USB keyboard/mouse?

I'm thinking it would look nice next to my Chromebox.

Iacobellis

I've never owned a Mac, I think I want one to play with. I like tinkering around, software/OS/UI more than hardware. Would a Mac Mini be OK? I wouldn't want it as my main PC, just to see the Mac experience and play around with it.

What does $499 actually get me? Can I hook it to my old Dell monitor, via DVI or HDMI? Any USB keyboard/mouse?

I'm thinking it would look nice next to my Chromebox.

It should work out of the box with your hardware. It supports HDMI and Thunderbolt for displays.

The link provided in that thread no longer exists, maybe someone can reupload it?

I do have it uploaded on my web server for my own use; PM'd Treefingers to see if it was OK to publicly re-host it. Then I saw this:

Just googled it after seeing that the link was broken. Found this: https://code.google.com/p/neogaf-en...?name=NeoGAF Enhancements.safariextz&can=2&q=

edit: It doesn't seem to do anything?

Haven't tested that one, but the one I have installed shows up under Safari Preferences > Extensions. Turn it on and fill in your username.

Regarding Yosemite:
Have just installed it on my MacBook Air and holy shit is it jarring to look at. Some of the new icons are realllllllly ugly.

EDIT: Goddamnit, it renamed my perfectly named MacBook Air to "MacBook-Air". Jesus fucking christ, time to roll back.

Jimrpg

They must have a hard time selling this in Japan. I thought 'X' meant no, cancel or error?

Operating System No?

I did some research on apple's site and found what you need to run their new features...

Hope this helps....

Dammit...mine is the early 2011 model....guess I'll be missing out on some of those features. Not that big of a deal though since my phone's an android though.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Fellow Macbook Air Mid-2011 model owners.

Continuity for calls works fine on our Macs, but Apple tried to fuck us over regarding Handoff and Airdrop between OS X and iOS devices: the Macbook Air Mid-2011 model has the necessary Bluetooth requirements, but during the beta the option for Handoff disappeared from System Preferences.

I was in the beta and decided to wait until the final release to see if the features would pop back, but alas.

However, this witchcraft 100% works with no hardware changes necessary. I am not sure if these steps work on other early/mid/late 2011 models as I haven't read through the entirety of that topic and I'm not familiar with the hardware specifics of all models.

This involves messing with the terminal and other switcheroo, so make sure you know what you're doing and to backup both IO80211Family.kext and IOBluetoothFamily.kext when the tutorial tells you to do so.

I actually did something wrong the first time while messing with 0XED, but restored the kext files then did everything right the second time. Now my Macbook Air mid-2011 has all Yosemite features 100% working: Handoff, Instant Hotspot and Airdrop working between my Mac and iPhone 5S (iPad not yet since I have a 3, upgrading later this year).

Sorry for the highlighting etc in the post, but I believe this is a pretty big deal for anyone else with this model of Macbook as much as it is for me. Maybe someone will streamline this process soon enough, but I wanted the features right now.

Continuity works fine on our Macs, but Apple tried to fuck us over regarding Handoff and Airdrop between OS X and iOS devices: the Macbook Air Mid-2011 model has the necessary Bluetooth requirements, but during the beta the option for Handoff disappeared from System Preferences.

Yeah, I was surprised to not see it when I searched for "hand off" in the system prefs; it directed me to General, but it's simply not there. Thanks for the link!

Foov

Hmm my computer is now stuck in the installer telling me it can't install because my disk failed verify/repair check, but it also won't seem to let me boot back into Mavericks either :-

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Hmm my computer is now stuck in the installer telling me it can't install because my disk failed verify/repair check, but it also won't seem to let me boot back into Mavericks either :-

You did do a full back up before upgrading didn't you?

the3ye

Can we talk about iTunes 12 here?
Small thing that iritates me the most is the fact I have to always click that triangle to expand device list when I switch tabs/etc...ugh. Managing music on iPhone/etc is terrible without seeing how much space left (in Music tab)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Continuity for calls works fine on our Macs, but Apple tried to fuck us over regarding Handoff and Airdrop between OS X and iOS devices: the Macbook Air Mid-2011 model has the necessary Bluetooth requirements, but during the beta the option for Handoff disappeared from System Preferences.

I was in the beta and decided to wait until the final release to see if the features would pop back, but alas.

However, this witchcraft 100% works with no hardware changes necessary. I am not sure if these steps work on other early/mid/late 2011 models as I haven't read through the entirety of that topic and I'm not familiar with the hardware specifics of all models.

This involves messing with the terminal and other switcheroo, so make sure you know what you're doing and to backup both IO80211Family.kext and IOBluetoothFamily.kext when the tutorial tells you to do so.

I actually did something wrong the first time while messing with 0XED, but restored the kext files then did everything right the second time. Now my Macbook Air mid-2011 has all Yosemite features 100% working: Handoff, Instant Hotspot and Airdrop working between my Mac and iPhone 5S (iPad not yet since I have a 3, upgrading later this year).

Sorry for the highlighting etc in the post, but I believe this is a pretty big deal for anyone else with this model of Macbook as much as it is for me. Maybe someone will streamline this process soon enough, but I wanted the features right now.

Awesome. Thanks for this! My wife has a mid-2011 MacBook Air, too, and she was really disappointed to hear that the Continuity features would not be officially supported. I'll definitely give this a try.

Yosemite on my Retina Macbook Pro (2012) won't let me make phone calls. Tells me my phone needs to be on the same iCloud account...thing is...it *IS* on the same damned account. Am I missing a step here?

EDIT: Nevermind I figured it out. Had to log out of FaceTime on my iPhone specifically then log back it. At *that* point it prompted me to add my phone number on my Macbook. Would be nice if they kinda explained that....

Gonna update my Hackintosh once I make sure the update is stable

Lol that's something I am happy I no longer have to do.

Finished john's X.X review and the last bit about swift was an amazing read, and outs it in to context why swift the programming language can still preform as well as object c while abstracting more low level functions.

mrkgoo

Yes. It's being weird, telling me to click "repair" to repair the disk, but the button is not useable.

A volume cannot repair "itself", so yeah boot to recovery by holding cmd+r at boot and runnin disk utility from there.

kess

Gatdamn, my Wacom tablet software is "incompatible" with Yosemite. Also qmaster for those people still working with Final Cut 7

Looks nice tho

alatif113

Have Yosemite downloaded. Trying to partition my main disk to install it clean and Disk Utility has been stuck on "shrinking the disk" for the past 3 hours :(

Batch rename: Quickly rename a set of files in the Finder. Select the files and choose Rename. You can also add custom text and numbers to each filename.

Does this behave similarly to the batch rename that's been in Windows since Vista? The lack of this has been really annoying me on my work computer (mac) lately cause I've just gotten so used to using it in Windows Explorer for the last 6 years. Had several cases in the last month of "oh yeah, now I need to open this in terminal..."

kess

Pretty strange how Safari only shows the domain name in the URL bar when opening an image in a new tab from the same website. I hope there's a way to turn this feature off, but I can't find it. Actually this is the deal with all extensions, which is annoying to say the least.

Overall it seems like the usual two steps forward one step back dance with OSX upgrades.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
[
[*]Batch rename: Quickly rename a set of files in the Finder. Select the files and choose Rename. You can also add custom text and numbers to each filename.

Wait, this is a thing?!

Does this behave similarly to the batch rename that's been in Windows since Vista? The lack of this has been really annoying me on my work computer (mac) lately cause I've just gotten so used to using it in Windows Explorer for the last 6 years. Had several cases in the last month of "oh yeah, now I need to open this in terminal..."

WAIT, THIS is a thing?!

Foov

Reboot while holding down Command+R and then select Disk Utility and repair from there.

A volume cannot repair "itself", so yeah boot to recovery by holding cmd+r at boot and runnin disk utility from there.

Thank you! Unfortunately didn't work, so I had to erase and reinstall Mavericks and am now waiting for my backup to restore. I'll try upgrading again tomorrow.

Guys, a quick question.

If you want to do a clean install, can we just upgrade to Yosemite for now, and then use the reinstall option from the Disc Utility menu after?

Might be a noob question, but other than the fact that it takes longer, is there any other difference doing it?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Deleted my Yosemite beta partition.

Disk Utility won't let me combine the now free space to my main partition.

Did a CMD+R boot. Shows as "Free Space." Can't use the subtraction sign to remove it. I formatted... it doesn't do anything. Nothing I can do to get rid of this "free space" 50 gig partition. It's the "bottom" partition. Shouldn't be a problem, but I'm at a loss for what to do.

Any ideas? I hate having to do it, but I'm thinking I might end up making a Genius Bar appointment. Ugh.

Number45

Does anyone know why instant hotspot requires a lightning connector? Is that just their way of saying iPhone 5 or above?

Top Bottom