• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Yosemite [OT]

I installed Yosemite, eventually decided to attempt to use Photos to share a good amount of pictures to my Flickr and Facebook accounts like I used to be able to do using Iphoto, discovered I can't cause Photos is horseshit and had screaming match with Photos that lasted until 1:30am and I'm trying to see if there's an alternative (free) that can do the same thing or if there's some other way around it.

^ You'd have to continue using iPhoto, though it's no longer supported it's still compatible with El Capitan and I can't see Apple breaking compatibility for a long time.
(iDVD, iWeb, etc still work fully under El Capitan for example)

I was having issues with Bluetooth and the computer not always waking up from sleep. Sometimes it would, but I'd need to press the power button. Other times, I'd have to hold that button to fully turn it off, then reboot it.

I can't get another computer for a year, so I did a complete fresh install of the OS and updated everything.

Should I use Avast's browser plug-ins?

EDIT: Also, what are these several script files I'm seeing? It says I last opened them in 2009, but I didn't restore any files after starting fresh.

They're things like, "Insert Text File," "Create Event From Message/ce," "Save Selection..." SCPT files. Do I need them?

After deleting everything and reinstalling the OS from scratch, I'm still having this same problem. The power button will wake the Mac up from sleep, but its Bluetooth keyboard and magic mouse will not.

I've tried pretty much everything I can think of, and what support has listed. Any other ideas?

Ambitious

I haven't used Windows 10 much. After installing it back then, I played around with it for a while to get an idea of the changes since Windows 7 (I skipped 8). A few weeks later, I spent an hour or so configuring and customizing the system so it's ready for work, should I need it at some point.

Both times, I couldn't help but be excited at how goddamn fast W10 is. A few days ago, I played around with it, again. And it really is fast. There are no UI slowdowns or lag. Everything's instant. None of the built-in apps has any noticeable loading times. Click it, the window pops up, the content is displayed. Instantly. Even the browser, Edge, is just incredibly fast.

I wish OS X would come just remotely close to Windows' snappiness. But it doesn't. When I click the apps folder in my Dock, I can count the frames of the opening animation (it's set to 'Grid'). Well, no, that's hyperbole, but seriously, I almost can count them. It's even worse when I scroll in that app grid. "Scrolling". It's so laggy, it's more like flipping through pages.

How about the animation when opening new windows? Open Safari, hit cmd+N ten times in a row and get some coffee while you wait for the windows to appear one after another. Oh, and with that many windows open, the frame rate of the animation when activating Mission Control is so bad, it's actually almost like there is no animation at all. It just goes *pop* and the view switches.

Switching spaces? It still gets stuck all the time.

Safari either crashes or freezes at least twice a week. Or slows down to a crawl while I'm typing into a simple textfield while 1) no other tabs or windows are open and 2) no resource-intensive apps are running. I'm speaking of this very Post Reply field on GAF I'm typing in right now.

Why does shutting down my Mac take several minutes? Yes, I already reset the PRAM and the SMC and did all the other shit everyone recommends for every single kind of problem but which never actually fixes anything.

Don't even get me started on reliability. iCloud, Back to my Mac, Continuity, Apple Music, iTunes Sync, System Updates. Shit's broken. "It just works"? Piss off.

Two weeks until El Capitan. Allegedly, UI performance is indeed improved, but still not on Windows levels. Acceptable levels. Granted, I was told this from a beta user quite some time ago, so it might have improved further in the GM. Don't know. Let's see.

Moreche

I haven't used Windows 10 much. After installing it back then, I played around with it for a while to get an idea of the changes since Windows 7 (I skipped 8). A few weeks later, I spent an hour or so configuring and customizing the system so it's ready for work, should I need it at some point.

Both times, I couldn't help but be excited at how goddamn fast W10 is. A few days ago, I played around with it, again. And it really is fast. There are no UI slowdowns or lag. Everything's instant. None of the built-in apps has any noticeable loading times. Click it, the window pops up, the content is displayed. Instantly. Even the browser, Edge, is just incredibly fast.

I wish OS X would come just remotely close to Windows' snappiness. But it doesn't. When I click the apps folder in my Dock, I can count the frames of the opening animation (it's set to 'Grid'). Well, no, that's hyperbole, but seriously, I almost can count them. It's even worse when I scroll in that app grid. "Scrolling". It's so laggy, it's more like flipping through pages.

How about the animation when opening new windows? Open Safari, hit cmd+N ten times in a row and get some coffee while you wait for the windows to appear one after another. Oh, and with that many windows open, the frame rate of the animation when activating Mission Control is so bad, it's actually almost like there is no animation at all. It just goes *pop* and the view switches.

Safari either crashes or freezes at least twice a week. Or slows down to a crawl while I'm typing into a simple textfield while 1) no other tabs or windows are open and 2) no resource-intensive apps are running. I'm speaking of this very Post Reply field on GAF I'm typing in right now.

Why does shutting down my Mac take several minutes? Yes, I already reset the PRAM and the SMC and did all the other shit everyone recommends for every single kind of problem but which never actually fixes anything.

Don't even get me started on reliability. iCloud, Back to my Mac, Continuity, Apple Music, iTunes Sync, System Updates. Shit's broken. "It just works"? Piss off.

Two weeks until El Capitan. Allegedly, UI performance is indeed improved, but still not on Windows levels. Acceptable levels. Granted, I was told this from a beta user quite some time ago, so it might have improved further in the GM. Don't know. Let's see.
I agree, I was all ready to upgrade my MBP but I'm going to wait to see what surface 4 offers.

Fuchsdh

Your comments don't mean much out of context. Windows 10 is a PITA on my workstation and doesn't feel any faster than OS X on my home computer, laptop or work Mac mini.

Late 2013 13" MBP with a clean install of the El Capitan GM(1). Performance and responsiveness has been incredible for me. I'm not going to compare performance/responsiveness to Windows, because it's somewhat Apples to Oranges, but El Capitan is responsive, and certainly looks better doing it, and not with long animation times, either, like iOS 7.

Ashhong

Question: I just installed a Samsung 850 EVO into the superdrive slot of my Macbook. Do I enable TRIM? I enabled it but the write speed of the drive seems to be slower, is that normal? Before I enabled, the first test said about 500mb/s, now I'm getting around 350-400

DonMigs85

Question: I just installed a Samsung 850 EVO into the superdrive slot of my Macbook. Do I enable TRIM? I enabled it but the write speed of the drive seems to be slower, is that normal? Before I enabled, the first test said about 500mb/s, now I'm getting around 350-400

TRIM should be enabled since without it performance gets worse over time as the drive fills up. Also try to leave at least 20% space free.

Theonik

TRIM should be enabled since without it performance gets worse over time as the drive fills up. Also try to leave at least 20% space free.
Trim prevents performance drops as cells get re-used by actually deleting the data that is on them when they are freed. This is because an SSD unlike an HDD doesn't overwrite as fast as it writes data.

Trim itself depending on the implementation can lead to performance penalties. SSD controllers themselves can deal with this issue by implementing garbage collection which can help while it can't be as effective as trip. Over provisioning as you said also helps (setting a certain part of the drive to not belong to any partition, which some controllers use for wear leveling)

Ashhong

This was on a brand new SSD, so not sure why the performance drops. The longer I run the speed test, the lower the score goes. Oh well, I'm sure it will be negligible in real world usage.

Top Bottom