• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 Games - 1 Year Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Consider it settled!

Game #41: Super Smash Bros. for 3DS - 109 hours, 8 mins (Finished)
Got all the characters and "completed" all the challenges. I'm STILL unlocking custom parts and trophies. I wish the two versions didn't release so close together but whatever. Smash Bros. is my favorite game series so more is always welcome. However, it does feel like somewhat of a step down from previous releases in terms of content, the custom parts nonsense is annoying (you should not be able to unlock duplicate custom moves, plain and simple), the lack of Ice Climbers bothered me a lot more than I thought it would and the controls take some getting used to. I'm really wondering what kind of force people are using to break their Circle Pads. Reminds me of the Wiimote strap stuff from back then.

Sendou

Ran out of space in my original post (24776 characters and counting) so here's a new one.

Weeks gone 42. Games beaten 46.

Game 45: Costume Quest 2 - 6 hours 30 minutes
# Got all the achievements. Pretty continues where the first Costume Quest left off without bringing too much new to mix. That's fine though since it's is still a pretty sweet package. Double Fine knows how to make some refreshing games. On the flip side the game also features Double Fine's trademark wonkiness which is a shame. Features quite a number of bugs and is generally unpolished. That said it's a game that's easy to forgive.

Game 46: Outland - 12 hours
# Game beaten. Pretty nice game. Housemarque is known for their incredibly tight gameplay and Outland is just another example how that is completely justified. Everything just feels right. It didn't give me any "oh wow this is amazing" moments but the game is still very solid all the way through. Looking forward to Housemarque's next game on PC.

Still making progress. Should be able to wrap this up next month.

OP.

Game 66: Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (Wii) - 6 hrs 48 mins **
Mixed feelings with this one. This is the best post-The Room game in terms of atmosphere, story, and soundtrack but I really dislike the chases/gameplay. The psychological profiling and endings make this worth a playthough or two.

Hubb

OP

48) The Legend of Korra 5H

Game may have been a little too ambitious for a $15 game, but I enjoyed my time with it. Being a fan of the series probably helped a lot, though there was not much story to speak of. Gameplay was pretty solid, my two biggest complaints were starting with no bending powers and the camera. For most of the game the camera was ok, but there was on section where you fight two giant
spirits
in a very small area. The fight was only challenging, because you were fighting the camera the whole entire time.

Like I said above the story was almost nonexistent, and the voice acting was obviously rushed though they did get the original actors. Loving or hating the two mini games will be up to you, they were an ok distraction for me. I suck at the Naga portion personally.

eot

Banned
Game 43: Dust: An Elysian tale - 7 hours, Oct 25th
This game never quite clicked with me. I don't mind the artstyle (a lot of the art is fantastic) but the voice acting was a little off putting. I ended up skipping through a lot of it. As for the combat, I enjoyed it at first in large part due to how cool it looks, but character action games have never been my thing. I don't like learning specific input sequences and trying to execute them, maybe because I never grew up playing those kinds of games. So I ended up cheesing a lot of the encounters later on, also just to get through them faster because boy there's a lot of combat to get through in this game. I know it's my fault for not really engaging with the combat system, so I can't judge it on that. However, related to that is the health system which I didn't like. You can get a few healing items as drops from enemies, but you'll have to buy most of them and the price : healing ratio is awful, to the point where you can easily end up spending most on your money just on healing items. I found it particularly bothersome in the platforming sections with spikes everywhere. As far as annoying platforming sections go I wouldn't rate them that high (I like the platforming overall), however when a single mistake costs you a quarter of your health bar that you have to pay money to replenish each mistake becomes that much more annoying.

Santino would be proud.

Game #42: Tales of Monkey Island (PSN) - between 15-20 hours (Finished)
Decided to try out another adventure game while it was only a buck. I don't usually jump into a long series on the most recent game, and this didn't really help change my mind. It felt like I was missing a lot. Even though many past references were lacking vagueness, I feel like a good chunk of the humor came from just knowing, ya know? It was still a pretty funny game regardless, and the puzzles weren't bad for the most part. I also really liked Morgan's character
and I'd love to see more of her. So glad she got to come back to the real world

Game 36: Destiny (PS4)
- Time Played: 22 hours

Lacklustre.

Game 37: GTA III (PC)
- Time Played: 18 hours

I had a great time going back and finally finishing this, I never really appreciated as a youngster, but this is well made game.

Game 38: Alien: Isolation (PC)
- Time Played: 22 hours

One of the best games I've played and experienced this year. As a fan of the movie this was nearly everything you could have wished for.

Game 39: Football Manager 2014 (PC)
- Time Played: 869 hours

With Football Manager 2015 now available it's time to retire this version of the game, which I've hammered over the last 12 months. I never did manage to get Rochdale into the Champions League, but I got them to the Premier League and enjoyed the career game that lasted over 25 years.

I started off unemployed with the lowest reputation, and took my first job with Lorenskog in Norway, taking them from the Norwegian 2nd Division to the Premier Division, winning the 2nd Division, Norwegian Cup and 1st Division along the way. Sadly a board takeover saw me fall out of favour with the new owners, so I left.

I was briefly in charge of Philly Union in the MLS, but had a terrible draft (drafting high potential players instead of need), forcing my style onto the team of slow possession football (when the board and fans were demanding fast direct football using the wings), so I didn't last very long. I was fired 7 months later. My lasting legacy was the forward I signed in the drafted became a club legend and one of the best American players in the game!

South Africa employed me as National Coach and I had a good time finishing 3rd in the African Cup of Nations. I qualified for the 2022 World Cup, but failed to make it out of the Group Stages. The SAFA were happy with my efforts, but I wasn't finding it very fun as the lack of new talent coming through (and a lot of the establish players retiring) left me with so few options. So I resigned.

Strangely, I couldn't find a job after that despite the 'success' I had had within Norway and the relative success I had had with South Africa. I had worked my Reputation up from Obscure to National.
Rochdale had just fired Frank Lampared (who had taken over as Manager after Rochdale slumped from the Championship into League 2) after a poor start to the season. Rochdale were near the bottom of League 2 and generally not doing very well. I somehow managed to persuade Connor Wickham to sign for us and everything just seemed to click into place.

3 consecutive promotions saw Rochdale climb out of League 2 and into the Premier Division, which was enough for my name to be added to the club's 'Icon' list. I totally abused the loan market, and forged a strong link with a team in Italy who kept sending me amazing players.

Game 40: The Evil Within (PS4)
- Time Played: 14 hours

Utter garbage.

Game 41: Civilisation V (PC)
- Time Played: 154 hours

Like FM 2014 the reason I'm saying I'm finished with this one now is simply due to the 'new' version being available (even though I'll probably continue to play this one too). I've really enjoyed it and there's something very relaxing about playing Civ5 on a Sunday.

I'll never forget Gandhi's quest for more cotton, which seemed to last 2000 years. He just wouldn't leave me alone.

Beat 71. Mario's Picross 2 which is the most amazing picross game ever. I have no idea how long it really took since I played on and off all summer so I just estimated 50 hrs cause it is overstuffed with 800 puzzles. I want more!

Hubb

OP

49) Ratchet and Clank: Quest for Booty 4H

My first Ratchet and Clank game. It was a nice quick look at the series, but there were some things I didn't like. The biggest being the guns. From what I understand R&C games are all about crazy weapons and this game had a decent amount of guns, but nothing "crazy". The only other thing that bothered me was some of the platforming was a little clunky. I'm just going to chalk that up to it being an older game and hoping things are a little more fluid in some of the newer installments.

I enjoyed my time with it enough to continue playing games in the series, specially since I got Quest for Booty for buying Into the Nexus.

This is like my 4th time beating this game.

Game #43: Crash Team Racing (PSN) - between 6-8 hours (Finished)
100%'d Adventure mode, didn't touch anything else. Wanna know where I stand on the whole kart racer debate? This is where it peaked. Every other kart racer since has been anywhere between a few steps (Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed) to a large number of steps (oh man, Crash Tag Team Racing) down mechanically. It still has the best item system and it still has the best boost system. It meshes with its source material about as well as Mario Kart does, which is very. Its track design is still great. It has an Adventure mode. It's awesome. The music could be more memorable (Mario Kart's and especially Diddy Kong Racing's music demolishes this one), the difficulty ceiling could be a little higher (I liked how hard SASRT could get) and the sense of speed is a bit off (again, SASRT had this down). Plus it's a PS1 game, so it could use a new coat of paint somethin' fierce. An HD re-release with online would get all the love.

Rubius

Game 34 : Paranautical Activity - 1 hour - 10/27/14
Binding of Isaac mixed with Quake. Pretty fun to play with. A pretty big challenge but being in 3D really change the dynamic and jumping is pretty important. 3/5

Game 35 : Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze - 10/29/14
Damn this game is hard. I dont "like" the game, but it's an excellent game. I'm not a fan of hard platformers or games with extremely scripted bosses. But the music, graphics, style and controls are excellent. 4/5

Gameboy415

I just realized that I'm pretty darn close to hitting 52 completed games in 2014 so it's time to share my list!
I unfortunately didn't keep track of how long I spent on each game, but I'll list them in order of completion:

Game 1: Gone Home (Steam)
-Not at all what I expected, but still a great experience!

Game 2: Puppeteer (PS3)
-Amazing game! Has great 3D(TV) implementation too!!

Game 3: Super Mario 3D World (Wii U)
-Fantastic!

Game 4: NES Remix (Wii U)
-Great mash-up of WarioWare & classic NES games.

Game 5: Sonic Lost World (Wii U)
-Some levels were downright infuriating, but I mostly enjoyed it.

Game 6: Aliens: Colonial Marines (Steam)
-Got it for $1.99 and thought it was actually a lot of fun.

Game 7: Goof Troop (SNES)
-Great stuff! I got so addicted that I played the entire game in one sitting.

Game 8: LEGO Marvel Super Heroes (PS4)
-Probably my favorite LEGO game to date.

Game 9: Final Fantasy XIII-2 (PS3)
-I was blown away by how much I liked this one - easily my favorite FF game in the entire series.

Game 10: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)
-I enjoyed the game play and nearly 100%'d the game but the story was a bit disappointing after FFXIII-2's ending.

Game 11: Strider (PS4)
-Fantastic reboot! 100%'d it. :)

Game 12: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS)
-Simply outstanding sequel to my favorite Zelda game. 100%'d it.

Game 13: Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (PS4)
-I loved the original game on Steam and this version was even better. 100%'d it (again!).

Game 14: inFAMOUS 2 (PS3)
-Didn't like it as much as the original.

Game 15: inFAMOUS: Festival of Blood (PS3)
-THIS one was a blast! I loved the vampire power-set!

Game 16: Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS4)
-Very impressive, but I wish it had more story content. :S

Game 17: inFAMOUS: Second Son (PS4)
-It was fun and impressive-looking, but I wasn't a huge fan of the storyline.

Game 18: StreetPass MiiForce (3DS)
-One of my favorite StreetPass games.

Game 19: Yoshi's New Island (3DS)
-Other than the stupidly repetitive music, this was a great follow-up to the original game!

Game 20: Donkey Kong GB: Dinky Kong & Dixie Kong (GBC)
-JP-only Game Boy Color version of Donkey Kong Land 3 - it was pretty great!

Game 21: Ittle Dew (Wii U)
-Great indie game with some clever Zelda references/spoofs.

Game 22: The Stanley Parable (Steam)
-I got a lot of different endings and almost every one made me smile. :)

Game 23: Lifeless Planet (Steam)
-Fantastic! I was hyped for this one since it's initial reveal and it did not disappoint in the slightest.

Game 24: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3)
-Played it a 2nd time as a refresher for the sequel.

Game 25: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate HD (PS3)
-I played the original on 3DS but wanted a refresher for LoS2 (100%'d it).

Game 26: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3)
-It was fun overall, but the stealth gameplay and story weren't too great.

Game 27: Silent Hill 3 (PS3)
-MUCH better than SH2 (which I hated) - I probably would've enjoyed it more if I hadn't had the ending spoiled for me. :S

Game 28: StreetPass Flower Town (3DS)
-Grew 20 stupid flowers, whee.

Game 29: Demon's Souls (PS3)
-Incredible stuff. I went through most of the game in co-op with a friend from my Dev Team and enjoyed the hell out of it!

Game 30: PT (PS4)
-Terrifying stuff! I wish the surprise 'ending' hadn't been blatantly spoiled everywhere online though. :S

Game 31: Picross E2 (3DS)
-I love me some Picross!

Game 32: StreetPass Find Mii 2 (3DS)
-Finally got enough StreetPasses to finish it!

Game 33: Mighty GunVolt (3DS)
-Great stuff - completed it with all 3 characters.

Game 34: Drakengard 3 (PS3)
-It took dozens of tries, but I eventually managed to beat the horrific
rhythm game
in the final chapter and got the true ending. I love this series!

Game 35: Picross E3 (3DS)
-More Picross, woo!

Game 36: Dairantou Smash Brothers (3DS)
-Unlocked all characters & stages before having ALL of them spoiled for me. :S

Game 37: Mega Man X (Wii U)
-100%'d it.

Game 38: Picross E4 (3DS)
-Even more Picross, woo!

Game 39: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (PS3)
-Great stuff! Played most of this one in co-op too. I'm looking for a cheap copy of DSII and can't wait for Bloodborne!

Game 40: Hyrule Warriors (Wii U)
-Fantastic! Definitely one of my favorite games from 2014.

Game 41: Club Nintendo Picross (3DS)
-JP-exclusive Picross game with Nintendo-themed puzzles.

Game 42: The Uncle Who Works for Nintendo (PC)
-Surprisingly creepy browser game. Got all 6 endings.

I'm in the middle of a bunch of games right now so I'm sure I can knock out 10 more by the end of the year! :D

Mono

Games #1 - 40

Game #41: Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call
# I put a lot of time into this game, but not as much time as I did in the previous one! This one is way, way better than the first, though! I would highly recommend it if your interested in Final Fantasy and/or rhythmn games. Very fun!

Game #42: The Walking Dead (Season 1)
# I played and beat the Wolf Among Us before this, and I think that Telltale's formula makes a lot more sense for this game, where your making tough moral decisions on the fly. I liked it in the context of a mystery game, too, but it definitely worked better here. Honestly, I don't think the two games should be compared much after that; they're quite different and I loved both of them! I really want to play season 2 now.

Game #43: Monkey Ball 3D
# This game was extremely short. Fun, but way too short! It also lacked the challenge that Super Monkey Ball 2 had in later levels. Playing this made me come to the conclusion that Monkey Ball is way, way funner on a TV screen with friends.

Game #44: 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors
# This was my second playthrough of this game; I played it back when it was released in ~2010, too. 999 is an absolute masterpiece. In my opinion, knowing the ending and information in the context of the sequel makes this game even better.

Game #45: Professor Layton and the Curious Village
# I want to like this series so much, but I don't think I do. This was my second attempt at this game, and it has this odd feeling of having not aged well even though it's not that old. I'm going to try the next in the series to see if it gives me the same feeling. The animation cutscenes in this game are really, really good!

maxcriden

Games #1 - 40

Game #45: Professor Layton and the Curious Village
# I want to like this series so much, but I don't think I do. This was my second attempt at this game, and it has this odd feeling of having not aged well even though it's not that old. I'm going to try the next in the series to see if it gives me the same feeling. The animation cutscenes in this game are really, really good!

Ah man, I'm sorry to hear it. FWIW, I've only played the first three, but I thought the second one was the best. Are you 100%ing the game, doing all of the puzzles?

flkraven

Time to continue on passed 52!

Games 1 to 38
Games 39 to 52

Some stats:

Stats from Completed Games:
Total Games: 57
Total Hours Played: 1,371
Average Hours per Game: 24.05

Game 53: Halo Wars - 15 hours
I wish I would have found this game sooner. Won't have time for it now that I got an XB1, but this is a really well done console RTS. Some things are a little frusturating, like certain controls and the way units move across the screen, but overall it was a pleasant experience. Really looking forward to a sequel with these issues ironed out.

Game 54: Geometry Wars - 5 hours
Fun XBLA arcade game. Kept me busy inbetween games. Unfortunately, I am pretty terrible at it and barely got any of the milestone achievements. Might give the new one a try.

Game 55: Dungeon Defenders - 12 hours
This is a surprisingly good game! Played with a few friends through the campaign, but it is a great mixture between a tower defense game and a game like Gauntlet. The Happy Wars-like art style really suited it. Wish there were more classes and more diversity in the levels and defense units.

Game 56: Shoot Many Robots - 6 hours
This game just didn't click with me for some reason. I love Contra, and I liked elements of this game, but I never got addicted to it in the same way that Contra hooked me. Maybe it was too easy? Although the game has character, I'm not sure if it's good character.

Game 57: Sunset Overdrive - 39 hours

Currently Playing:

Destiny
Guacamelee

donny2112

Congrats, flkraven! :D

On a side note, second set of 52 games is done. :) Don't think there's time for a third. Surprisingly, my backlog still feels kind of big. Probably because I'm buying more games (especially digital) when they come out now instead of just waiting.

Game 104 (October 29, 2014): Nintendo Land (Wii U) - 10:11
Overall, a decent game with some very fun parts, but a poor substitute for Wii Sports ability to carry the message of the new gameplay options to the public. I still dislike using both screens, unless I have to. Thankfully, the team attractions that I liked could be played in single-player mode with just the gamepad.
And that's a second set of 52 games! :D Still plenty more to go. :p

tav7623

On a side note, second set of 52 games is done. :) Don't think there's time for a third. Surprisingly, my backlog still feels kind of big. Probably because I'm buying more games (especially digital) when they come out now instead of just waiting.

I know the feeling, so congrats on finishing your second set of 52 games and I'm gonna try to join the 104 club by the end of the year.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Game 50
Bound by Flame, PC, 13 hours
Unremarkable wrpg, but fun even though i hit a game breaking bug requiring rework

Congrats to everyone who has finished the 52 games 1 year challenge, and congrats to Donny on reaching 104 games!

I've just reached triple digits myself, so I'm right behind ya!
Shadow of the Colossus HD - October 31st - 8hrs
The last Team ICO game to be released, it's an amazing game, it really is, and the feel of taking down the colossi really breaks my heart while also feeling great, lots of conflicting emotions, damn, this game is rad.

alekth

Only two months to go... Getting there doesn't seem very likely although I do have a whole bunch of games to finish.

Game 33: Cinders - 3 hours, finished October 18, PC
I had to go look through my mail to see where I got this game in the first place, turns out it was in a Humble Bundle at some point. It's a visual novel on an alternate Cinderella story and attempts a more nuanced portrayal of the tale's characters. As it goes with these games, it's reasonable fun to play through once, and then getting to other endings is just furious clicking to skip dialogue. Must be said that this game has some built in convenience for scrolling through text though, which makes it easier to just enjoy.

Game 34: Bioshock Infinite - 15 hours, finished October 24, PC
I still haven't played the first two Bioshock games, which I might catch up on soon, since I liked Infinite. While I didn't like the two weapons restriction, most of that feeling comes from the game's achievements (I don't really like shaping my gaming to meet them, but I can't seem to be able to completely ignore them either).
Game world and story are really good, and also really well executed, visuals are a treat to look at and I did choose this game also for the presence of color.
Skipping DLC for now, I think I'll get to it after replaying the game once I've been through the series first.

Game 35: The Last Door - 4 hours, finished October 30, PC
Great atmosphere and a good story seems to be developing. The biggest disappointment was this turning out to be Season 1, and this information is fat from immediately obvious. I would have preferred some some smaller pixels, to be quite honest, and the whole retro look isn't something I'm all too fond of, but it's a small budget game as well, and it can be said that to a degree the look works for it.

Weiss

Banned
Game 54: Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - 23 hours

It's not as good as the first, might as well get that out of the way. It's more linear and compartmentalized compared to the very free flowing and organic Metroid Prime, the dark world was incredibly boring to trek through, and several enemies were a tremendous pain in the ass.

Other than that, it's excellent and certainly doesn't deserve to be spat upon as it has been. Not being as good as Metroid Prime isn't any real indicator of poor quality, as you could say of that of like 90% of all games.

tav7623

Time for my October update, this month I beat 6 games coming up one game short of my 7 game goal.

70. Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butteryfly (Finished 10/5/14 – playtime 11 hrs)

71. Infamous: Festival of Blood (Finished 10/11/14 – est playtime 4 hrs)

72. The Evil Within (Finished 10/17/14 – playtime 17 hrs 36 min)

73. Resident Evil Code:Veronica X (Finished 10/20/14 – playtime 7 hrs 48 min)

74. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (Finished 10/26/14 – playtime 4 hrs 55 min)

75. Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (Finished 10/30/14 – est playtime 6 hrs)

Sneaking in with two more games from the Humble Bundle:

72. Jazzpunk

What a terrific little experience. Perfect length to not overstay its welcome.

73. Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs

What a terrible, boring, graphically muddy game. I loved Dear Esther and though Dark Descent was fine(though not scary). I didn't expect to be scared, because no games really scare me, so its not a problem that this was extremely tame. This really falls down mainly in the graphics department. I was hoping to at least see some insane sights, which there were VERY few. If you're going to make a dark game, your lighting needs to POP. Even with the light on, everything is just a sick shade of gray with a side of bland. I can't believe how terrible I found this.

Rubius

Game 36: Outlast - 4:30- 10/01/14
Decided to give the game an another try for Halloween. Did it in one shot and it's a pretty okay game. Not that spooky, mostly disturbing with jump scares. It's amnesia without puzzles. If you like the hide and run gameplay, you will like it. 4/5

Game 37: Super Smash Bros 3DS - 12:15 - 10/01/14
Unlocked every Characters and Levels. Really fun game, but I cant wait to see what the "full" version will be on the Wii U. Tons of things to complete and I see myself keeping this in my 3DS bag just in case somebody want to play with me. 5/5

Marceles

Either I'm taking really bad track of the games I've beaten or I haven't finished much this year. Anyways...

Game #10: Destiny

Finished 9/9/14, don't really know the estimate of time beaten, I just know I haven't played it since 9/14th. Enjoyed it enough to see if there was anything more to the game. Ended up not enjoying it enough to care later on.

Game #11: Persona 4 Ultimax

Finished 9/30/14, best fighting game I've played in awhile. I want to be really good with Junpei.

Game #12: The Wonderful 101

Finished 10/1/14, 17 1/2 hrs (no typo, I just forgot to post it), even though I beat it I wasn't satisfied with my stylish performance. I'm happy I beat it on normal but I'll definitely be playing this more.

Game #13: Legend of Korra

Finished 10/21/14, about 3 hrs. The game started off slow since it does the God of War routine and starts you off with no powers, but picks up toward the end. Overall not a bad game for the price. I platinumed it 10/22/14.

Post #1

Post #2

MattyG

Banned
1) Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
This is the first VN I've ever played. Went in completely blind, loved every minute of it. Can't wait for tuesday.

2) Infamous: Second Son
Smaller scale than I would've liked (especially after the collossal scale of The Beast and the threat he presented), but still a good game.

3) Wolfenstein The New Order
Tied with Danganronpa for my GOTY so far. Got the platinum trophy in 3 days, kept playing even when I had it.

4) The Last of Us
I don't know if this counts, but I did a 5th playthrough of this just before the DLC came out. Still an amazing game, can't wait to try the remaster some day.

5) Watch_Dogs
Pretty underwhelming to be perfectly honest. I still enjoyed it though.

6) Fallout New Vegas
I did a 4th playthrough in hardcore mode. That game is still super fun.

7) The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
This was my 3rd attempt at playing it. First two times I quit out of boredom, but this time I loved it. One of my favorite Zelda games now.

8) Diablo 3
Really addictive. I just started RoS, and that just made it 10x better.

9) Call of Duty Black Ops Declassified
Yeaaaaah, not the best game ever, but it's decent for what it is.

10) Trials Fusion
Beating this was the first time I've ever wanted to break a controller. The later tracks are infuriating.

11) Mortal Kombat (VITA)
I've never been huge into fighting games, but this one really did it for me. It also led me to play the next game on my list...

12) Injustice: Gods Among Us (VITA)
Really solid fighting game. I loved the story mode.

13) Gunpoint
Everyone should play this game. It's funny, it's smart, it's fun... Be right back, gotta go play Gunpoint.

14) MGSV Ground Zeroes
An excellent game, regardless of length. Can't wait for TPP.

15) Call of Juarez Gunslinger
A step in the right direction for a floudering franchise.

16) Darksiders 2
Did a second and final playthrough to get the platinum. Do right by this franchise, Nordic!

17) The Wolf Among Us
I loved everything about this game. The ending was a bit less than I had hoped for, but it was still an excellent game overall.

18) Monument Valley
Best mobile game I've ever played

19) Wolfenstein 2009
Very underrated.

20) Civilization V
I played a few complete games of Civ V for the first time around the time of one of my Westen Civ exams. Aced the exam, beat the game.

21) Bioshock 2
Finally got around to playing this, and it's actually a good game!

22) Tearaway
Really great game, almost made me tear up towards the end for no apparent reason. Can't wait for the PS4 version.

23) Mario Golf (3DS)
Tiger Woods ain't got nuthin' on this.

24) DayZ
30+ hours, I think that can count as a completed game, no? Not that I'm done with it or anything...

25) Antichamber
This game is really clever, definitely a must play for fans of Portal and the like.

26) Metro 2033 Redux
I just finished this today and OH MY GOD it's amazing. Probably one of my favorite games now. Can't wait to get back to LL (I already started it a while ago, got about 4 hours in).

27) Destiny
I finished the main story (if you can call it that) missions, hit level 20 and never looked back.

28) The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
This game is so damn good. Go. Buy it. Now.

29) Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
Just finished it today. It actually exceeded my expectations, and the Nemesis system set up some cool moments.

30) Rust
Same situation as DayZ; you can't really finished it, but I put a hell of a lot of time into it (and plan on more...)

31) Alien: Isolation
One of my games of the year as of right now. Incredible stealth and some really great scares.

32) The Evil Within
I enjoyed this game up until about chapter 10, and then it just kind of got very "meh". Not a bad game, but not the best either.

33) The Room
Great puzzles that genuinely challeneged me.
YOU'RE TEARING ME APART, PUZZLES.

34) Minecraft (consoles/Vita version)
I never got into Minecraft until this year, and now I can't get enough of it. The sense of exploration you get from finding a tunnel or abandoned mine is something I've never seen in a game before.

With CoD AW, Far Cry 4, DA:I, AC:U, AC Rogue, Pokemon ORAS and many other games coming out, plus having no classes through pretty much all of December, I have a feeling I'll be able to hit 52 pretty easily.

Games 1 through 11

Games 12 through 13

Games 14 through 16

Games 17 through 23

24. Entwined (Vita) - 14th October - approx. 1 hour
A very pretty, relaxing and enjoyable game from new development team Pixelopus. Perhaps a little too simplistic overall though, and fairly slight on content. 6.5/10

25. Just Cause 2 (PS3) - 25th October - approx. 20 hours
Just batshit crazy OTT fun. Very enjoyable to mess around with the physics and tools, and a really enjoyable and vast gameworld. It's got a seriously impressive engine too. 8/10

26. Velocity 2X (Vita) - 28th October - approx. 5 hours
Excellent stuff; a very enjoyable shmup-come-platformer, starring one of my favourite protagonists in a long while and some really impressive gameplay strides over its predecessor. One of the best games of the year so far. 8/10

There's no way I'm going to hit 52 games completed as I've got a lot of big games next on my backlog, such as Mass Effect, Dark Souls and Ni No Kuni. But I do love this topic as it gives me a way of keeping tabs on what I've completed this year.

kubus

I'm not gonna make it this year either :'(. Curse you, school life!!

Anyways, new update:

#21 - HarmoKnight / 3DS / ~08:00 / August 29
To be honest, I expected more of this. The few songs that were in there were so-so and they got remixed and rehashed to death. I would've liked it if there were more bonus Pokémon tunes, because that soundtrack is still amazing. Some platform elements felt very off, such as the drums that I only managed to bounce on half of the time. The artstyle is great though, and I especially loved the boss designs. To be honest the price is too steep for what you get.

#22 - Destiny / PS4 / ~14:00 / September 16
Saying it's a turd of a game wouldn't feel right because I put at least 30 hours into the game and most of that time I was enjoying myself. But now that I've officially stopped playing, I honestly wonder why I wasted so much time in this game. The story is a mess, the loot system is broken and there is a serious lack of content. I probably won't be buying the Expansions as they look to be a major rip-off. It was fun while it lasted.

#23 - Hyrule Warriors / Wii U / ~08:00 / October 16
I honestly didn't expect this to be so fun! The cutscenes were gorgeous and makes me long for Zelda Wii U, the characters were awesome to play with and the maps were very fun. I'm not hardcore enough to beat Adventure Mode, but I feel like I got my money's worth with just the story mode.

#24 - Attack of the Friday Monsters! A Tokyo Tale / 3DS / 03:00 / October 18
Gorgeous little gem of a game that EVERYBODY with a 3DS and a love for Ghibli movies should play. I felt like a child again playing this. Loved the untouched Japanese dub, the weird little card game, and the innocence of the story and its characters. I'm a bit disappointed in how the game ended though.

#25 - Liberation Maiden / 3DS / 02:00 / October 19
Short, but fun. I was kinda weirded out how the camera loved to zoom in on the main character's butt though. Would've rated this higher if the game supported some sort of lefty control scheme, but thankfully the game was quite short so I didn't sprain my hand too much.

#26 - Hatoful Boyfriend / PC / 10:00 / October 20
Possible GOTY. At first this seems like a weird dating sim on steroids, but I was surprised to find out how deep the story went. The BBL ending was absolutely amazing and nearly had me crying. Also, Ryouta is best birdie and Oko-san 4life.

#27 - Super Mario 3D World / Wii U / ~10:00 / October 22
Took us way too long, but I finally "finished" this game with the boyfriend. We had tons of fun playing this and we cursed a lot at some of the more difficult levels :p. Also miiverse posts at the end of the levels were a goldmine of comedy. I wouldn't rate this as high as some people do, but I do admit it's one of the best co-op games out there.

Original post.

eot

Banned
Game 44: Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers - 2 hours, Nov 3rd
Pretty straightforward game that doesn't overstay its welcome. I liked it more for its aesthetics (it's quite charming) than its gameplay, which doesn't change at all over the course of the game. It seems like they didn't have that many ideas for what to do with the cutting mechanic. In a lot of cases it also leads to 'ugly' puzzle solutions. I'm not sure it's a good mechanic, it's too unfocused and powerful. On the plus side it has a quite unique soundtrack, which is good for the most part.

OP.

Game 67: Claire (PC)
- 2 hrs 54 mins
Great 2D horror game similar to Lone Survivor in gameplay. There seems to be quite a few endings (not sure what factors into which one you get) and the soundtrack is amazing so I'll definitely go through this again someday.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I should prolly someday give a more modern MK game a chance but until then Super Circuit is still my go-to pick up 'n play handheld karter!

Games Beaten: 46 / 52
Total Playtime: 549 hours, 49 minutes

01 - 33!
34 - ??!

Hubb

OP

50) TxK 8H

Just finished the game today and not even sad that it went on PS+ before I got a chance to beat it. Now that it is on PS+ everyone with a Vita should give the game a shot.

Some of the levels have so many flashing/jumping/pulsing colors you can't see straight, but a lot of fun nonetheless. Music goes along nicely with the game. My biggest gripe (and maybe I am just doing it wrong) is when selecting a level to start from you can only jump one level at a time. Meaning if you want to go 10 levels forward or backward it takes much longer than it should.

Toki767

Game 46: Super Smash Bros. for 3DS - 20 hours
It's kind of surprising that they could fit an entire Smash Bros. game on the 3DS, but they did. It was fun, but I'm probably going to play more on the Wii U since it is probably going to be the superior experience.

Game 47: The Legend of Korra - 4 hours
I really enjoyed this game. It has its flaws, but the combat was pretty great all things considered. Having fully powered bending is really amazing for the fights.

Game 48: Bayonetta - 10 hours
I can definitely see why this game was so highly praised. The combat is practically flawless and the game in general was really great. The over the top nature of the game was done just right I think.

Game 49: Sunset Overdrive - 10 hours
I really enjoyed the gameplay. It was really just good fun overall. The humor was very hit or miss (I felt like they were trying too hard in many cases), and the tower defense missions or whatever they were were annoying, but everything else was highly enjoyable.

Game 50: Bayonetta 2 - 10 hours
Loved this game. Everything the first one was, but much tighter overall and much more enjoyable to play. Very happy Nintendo rescued this game.

I'm at the home stretch...I need to decide what my last 2 games are going to be.

Games 1 through 11

Games 12 through 13

Games 14 through 16

Games 17 through 23

24. Entwined (Vita) - 14th October - approx. 1 hour
A very pretty, relaxing and enjoyable game from new development team Pixelopus. Perhaps a little too simplistic overall though, and fairly slight on content. 6.5/10

25. Just Cause 2 (PS3) - 25th October - approx. 20 hours
Just batshit crazy OTT fun. Very enjoyable to mess around with the physics and tools, and a really enjoyable and vast gameworld. It's got a seriously impressive engine too. 8/10

26. Velocity 2X (Vita) - 28th October - approx. 5 hours
Excellent stuff; a very enjoyable shmup-come-platformer, starring one of my favourite protagonists in a long while and some really impressive gameplay strides over its predecessor. One of the best games of the year so far. 8/10

There's no way I'm going to hit 52 games completed as I've got a lot of big games next on my backlog, such as Mass Effect, Dark Souls and Ni No Kuni. But I do love this topic as it gives me a way of keeping tabs on what I've completed this year.

27. Mass Effect (PS3) - 6th November - approx. 27 hours
I really enjoyed this and I'm now questioning why it took me so long to play it. I absolutely love the world Bioware built, the technology and different alien races, and even though I already know the trilogy's whole story, I really like the storytelling and sense of mystery and the reveals towards the end. The Mako sections were decent and gave a sense of exploration and variety, I liked being able to 'explore' the galaxy even though it was through menus and I thought the politics between the different races were really interesting. It lacked polish in some areas, I didn't like some characters (Ashley and Kaiden mainly) and I thought the romance stuff was pretty fucking awful (right after giving my crew a pep talk about the final battle Kaiden was like "We have to talk do you love me or not I neeeed to know!!"), but overall this was such a great game and possibly my favourite sci-fi universe ever. I've already started ME2 with my imported character and decisions, and it's a nice feeling to know that things I did in the first game will ripple into the second game. And one last thing; I had to reload an old save and play about two hours in order to
save Wrex
, and it was absolutely worth it. 8.5/10

Krafter

Original Post with #1-68

I've hit the post limit apparently, so I will continue things here.

Game 69: House of the Dead: Overkill (Wii) - October 27 - 4 hours
Took a little bit to grow on me, but grow it did. Great music, great characters coupled with classic House of the Dead Gameplay. A little short, but easily replayed with better weapons.

Game 70: Indigo Prophecy (PC) - November 5 - 13 hours
A mixed blessing. I can sort of see an evolution of the classic adventure game here and I think David Cage has stumbled onto a good formula for the future, in an "interactive TV show episode" sort of thing. But the controls were a battle, and a few very frustrating sections where I failed 100 times killed all my momentum when I was really loving it early. Still, we need more studios like Quantic Dream rather than less.

Game 71: Draw Slasher (Vita) - November 7 - 4 hours
Quick and easy touch control game where you kill undead pirate monkeys (yep) with your fingers. Not my cup of tea, as I do not enjoy touch controls, but this was fun enough.

Game 71: Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil (PC) - November 10 - 7 hours
ID's outsourced expansion packs have been hit or miss in the past, but this here's a keeper. Same Doom 3 gameplay, with the only real differences being a lack of audio logs and some grainy textures. They bring back the Double barreled shotgun too, can't believe it wasn't in the base game.

Game 72: Super Scribblenauts (DS) - November 20 - 8 hours
This one snuck up on me, very imaginative and fun, and a programming marvel to make it all work on screen. Was a bit easy once you realized you can come up with anything you need, but that's part of the fun. Perfect handheld game, played in multiple 5 and 10 minute bursts.

Game 73: Stella Deus: the Gate of Eternity (PS2) - November 23 - 45 hours
Turn based strategy in the Tactics Ogre vein. Standard fare for the plot/Characters, but incredible artwork really helps out the cause. Lot of gaming to be had, somewhat easy except for half a dozen difficulty spikes in the boss fights.

Game 74: American McGee's Alice (PS3) - November 28 - 9 hours
Another mixed game for me. I loved the setting, music and twisted take on the Lewis Carrol characters. The game played like a 3rd person shooter with platforming, but the controls were horrid and floaty, making precision jumps an exercise in frustration. Probably would have been far better had I played on the PC, I imagine.

Game 75: Killzone: Liberation (PSP) - December 2 - 8 hours
Excellent design decision to go to a top-down shooter game for a handheld rather than shoehorning the same game as the playstation Killzones. As a result, this is now my favourite Killzone game. Excellent graphics and fair difficulty, save for the last 2 boss fights which I found brutal. I would be down for a Liberation 2 for the Vita.

Game 76: Aero Porter (3DS) - December 10 - 7 hours
The whole Guild 01 thing was a great idea by Level-5, but my 1st foray into the games was just okay. Simple concept and controls, but the difficulty ramps up quickly and there isn't much more to the game once you level up your airport to International. Fun, but not much to it.

Game 77: Doom 3: Lost Mission (PC) - December 14 - 3 hours
Short but high quality, basically more of the same featuring a new marine over 8 levels of Doom 3 gameplay.

Game 78: Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams (PS2) - December 17 - 24 hours
I love the Onimusha series and am sad to see the end of things here. A good game, but the worst of the series where the other three games are all stellar. The main character / main girl / enemies are all just a tad off from Oni 1-3, but what brings the game down is the boss fight layout. You are thrown into a boss fight with minimal warning, sometimes with depleted health, and far too often after that you are given a 2nd Boss directly after with no chance to heal, build up mana, ect. Given that these bosses are very often trial and error, it gets old fast whereas I had none of these problems with the other three games. Oh well, still want Onimusha 5.

Game 79: Bejeweled 2 (PS3) - December 23 - 8 hours
My wife is more of a fan than I, but I've been playing it off and on for a bit and it's a fun enough puzzler. Got some trophies, but I'm out. No real way to end the game, so I'm counting it after beating the puzzle mode with all the planets. Great background artwork on those.

Game 80: Heavenly Sword (PS3) - December 25 - 9 hours
Wow, totally loved this hack and slash game. Looks great, and Torv and Serkis were awesome, particularly Serkis, who was raving mad. The speed and brutality of the combat I found better than God of War by a mile, and I preferred HS's take on "one vs an army" to even the Dynasty Warriors fights. The Kai sections were a complete change of pace and excellent as well. My only real complaint was the game's length and the difficulty of the last fight - the game is very, very fast and the last 2 stages of the Final Boss were a third of my total play time. Great fun, great leading character, and a shame this did not become a series.

Game 81: Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One (PS3) - December 26 - 20 hours
Been playing this on and off as Quark, with my eldest daughter playing "the little robot." Very long and meaty game, which is appreciated, and funny as Hell. Some extended fights where you run out of ammo way before the enemies are dead slowed the game down a ton, but the boss fights were very fun and very fair. This one snuck up on me, I wasn't expecting to like it, which does not happen to me often. A PS Plus freebie I would likely have not gotten on my own, and my first Ratchet and Clank game as well.

Game 82: Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier (DS) - December 27 - 49 hours
Hell yeah, Monolith Soft shits out Gold at this point. Fun, silly Sci-Fi romp with a zany cast. Turn-based fights with prompts as you try and juggle your enemies for maximum damage. This is a full RPG, pick your party, equip them and all that. Fully voice acted in Japanese, the girls do great jobs, particularly Suzuka, who is an Elven princess that acts like a cheerleader while her Robotech mech does the actual fighting for her. Awesome. Wish we would get the sequel localized.

IcyStorm

Game 47: Alpha Protocol (PC) | <15 hours, 10/17/2014 - 10/20/2014
So flawed, but so good?

Game 48: Gunpoint (PC) | ~2 hours, 10/20/2014 - 10/21/2014
I wish there was more to do!

Game 49: The Swapper (PC) | ~4 hours, 10/25/2014 - 10/27/2014
A few puzzles were ridiculous, but this is one of the best games that I've played in the past few years.

Game 50: Costume Quest (PC) | ~4 hours, 10/27/2014 - 10/28/2014
Short and sweet.

Game 51: OlliOlli (PC) | ~18 hours, 10/28/2014 - 11/5/2014
Also great for podcast listening. I was strangely hooked on this to the point that I actually got all of the stars. I'm definitely not touching rad mode though.

Game 52: Call of Duty: Black Ops (PC) | <6 hours, 11/7/2014 - 11/7/2014
Very Call of Duty.

Game 53: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (PC) | <5 hours, 11/7/2014 - 11/8/2014
VERY Call of Duty.

Finished!

Full list of games

Hubb

OP

51) Pokemon Y 43H
First pokemon game since Gold. While I enjoyed my time with the game and revisiting Pokemon, I probably wont be getting another Pokemon game for awhile.

eot

Banned
Game 46: Diablo II - 14 hours, Nov 9th
I had been a few years since I last fired up DII, but it still hooked me the way it always does. Since BNet isn't in the best state anymore (dealing with the temp bans sucks the fun out of the game) I decided to play offline, for maybe the first time ever. There are mods that enable the ladder only runewords and uniques, which is great. You can add things like shared stash too. I haven't gone through Hell yet, I think I might start over and play HC instead. That's where the real game is.

A slight update as I realise I missed a couple of games from earlier in the year:

Previous post.

1. Muramasa Rebirth - 10th Jan - approx 10 hours
I bought this digitally in a sale before Christmas for £10. I really enjoyed it overall; terrific visuals, wonderful combat and character control and a nice range of optional things to do adding a bit of depth. Some excellent boss battles too, and characters that I came to quite like. 7/10

2. Call of Juarez: Gunslinger (PS3) - 17th Jan - approx 7-8 hours
Another sale purchase; I think this was about £3.50. An excellent game in most regards; I particularly enjoyed the storytelling structure and the level design and set-pieces were really inventive and interesting too. Sadly overshadowed by Blood Dragon, but I thought overall this was probably the better game. 8/10

3. Jacob Jones & the Bigfoot Mystery (Vita) - 24th Jan - approx 3 hours
A wonderful little puzzle adventure that was amazing value for money. Great visuals and presentation, a funny script and a surprisingly generous amount of content. I look forward to the next episode. 8/10

4. LittleBigPlanet PS Vita - 8th Feb - approx 8 hours
I enjoyed both of the main games on PS3, but thought this was even better. It had really inventive use of the Vita's functions without ever feeling intrusive and some wonderful level design (both developer and community). 8/10

5. The Last of Us: Left Behind - 21st Feb - 3 hours
Just amazing. TLoU was my favourite big budget game of last year, and this was a perfect accompaniment. I loved being back in that world, I love the gameplay and tools which are part of the TLoU gameplay and it was one of the rare instances of DLC not feeling like a shallow cash-grab. 9/10

6. Dead Island (PS3) - 4th March - 22 hours
I started this months ago but just got around to finishing it a few weeks ago. Loved it initially but I actually felt like it dragged on too long and I would have preferred it end about 33% sooner. It was shonky as hell and there's lots to fix in any future instalments (I understand Riptide fixed very little), but I did enjoy it and I think Techland are a lot more talented than they get credit for. 7/10

7. Spec Ops: The Line (PS3) - 6th March - approx 5 hours
I basically ran through this on Easy as fast as possible to experience the story and have a breather between longer games. I enjoyed it for what it was; the story was good, the shooting and character controls were solid and mechanically it had some interesting ideas. 7/10

8. Retro City Rampage (Vita) - 7th March - approx 6 hours
I didn't finish this as I stopped playing on what I later found out was the last boss. Initially I really enjoyed it, after a while I grew tired of what I felt was a lack of substance outside of 80s and 90s references, and by the end of the game I began to hate it. About 1-2 hours before the end it gets crazily difficult and not at all fun, and that pretty much ruined my opinion of the entire game. 6/10

9. Uncharted: Golden Abyss - 13th March - approx 10-12 hours
This was another I started last year and came back to finish, and similarly I felt it too outstayed its welcome by a couple of hours. It was a solid Uncharted game, more or less on par with the original, although there's almost no variation in the gameplay and I felt it got tired faster than the others. A couple of nice uses of the Vita features but overall not especially memorable. 7.5/10

10. Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken (Vita) - 17th March - approx 6-7 hours
I really enjoyed this game, from the visuals and soundtrack (loved the music and animated cutscenes), the lite-puzzling and the cool jetpack sections. Reminded me of SNES-era platformers like Flashback and Another World. 8/10

11. Luftrausers (Vita) - 22nd March - approx. 5 hours
I'm not sure there's any kind of 'end game' state or whether it just goes on forever, but I put lots of time into this and probably won't be going back besides odd plays here and there. Really excellent gameplay, great reward and progression system and very addictive to boot. A quality game, as one would expect from Vlambeer. 8/10

12. SteamWorld Dig (Vita) - 29th March - 6 hours
Adored this game; I knew nothing about it before it launched on Vita and bought it pretty much on a whim. Everything about it was honed almost to perfection - visuals, controls, character progression and upgrades, soundtrack, etc. It was so well designed it felt like a Nintendo game at times. Loved it, and I can't wait for what Image & Form do next. I'll be there day one. 8.5/10

13. Metal Gear Rising - 4th April - approx 6 hours
Normally I really enjoy Platinum's output, but I had really mixed feelings about this overall. The combat was really awesome and the presentation was very cool, but in other key aspects I felt like it was really lacking, such as overly simplistic and dull level design, poor characterisation and, contrary to most opinions, several annoying boss battles. 7/10

14. Eufloria HD (Vita) - 6th April - approx. 6-8 hours
I didn't complete this but I put a fair amount of time into it and I don't see myself going back. It's an excellent RTS/base defence game with lots of interesting gameplay aspects, really great art style and excellent use of the touch interface. 8/10

15. Metal Gear Solid 2 HD (Vita) - 20th April - approx 9 hours
Didn't like it very much back in 2002; still not sure about it all these years later. Some cool sections, gameplay that's a clear step up from its predecessor and on the whole it's aged very well, but an absolutely fucking bullshit crazy plot, a structure that's far too similar to MGS1 (I know it's deliberate for narrative reasons, but it's still weak) and overall it's just not as memorable or clever as the first game. Still one of my most disappointing sequels, alongside Halo 2, Soul Reaver 2 and Red Faction 2. 7/10

16. Urban Trial Freestyle (Vita) - 12th May - approx. 8-10 hours
I haven't finished this but I don't see myself getting any further so I'll consider it done with. Not a bad game, but lacking in content and stylistically a bit ugly and charmless. I also find the bounce pads horribly glitchy and useless. 6/10

17. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (PS3) - 25th June - 130 hours
Got the Platinum trophy, I finished all of the main game content, although I have not finished all the Dark Arisen content yet. Absolutely adored this game in almost every regard, from the combat, the game world, the enemy encounters, the exploration and discovery, the customisation, the depth and even the surprisingly decent plot. Such a brilliant game, one of my favourites of the generation and I really hope there's a sequel. 9/10

18. Need for Speed: Most Wanted (Vita) - 29th June - approx. 10 hours
I'll paraphrase a lengthy post I made earlier today:
It's a really good game in most regards, but not as good as the Burnouts and a few minor annoyances kept it from greatness in my opinion. A big part of what I missed was the massive and detailed crashes from the Burnout games, and I wished they weren't using licensed vehicles as the cosmetic damage was really weak. 7/10

19. Tearaway (Platinumed) - 23rd July - approx. 15 (?) hours
I finished this game when it came out late last year, but I went back to finish up. Absolutely adored pretty much everything, it may well be the cutest and most likeable game I've ever played and I'll probably double dip on the PS4 remix. Easily one of the best Vita games. 9/10

20. Grand Theft Auto V (PS3) - 29th July - approx. 35 hours
I was apprehensive over this as I didn't really enjoy IV, but it was amazing in almost every regard and improved on its predecessor in almost every meaningful way. The biggest star for me was the amazing gameworld and the physics which help it feel so grounded and fun. An astonishing achievement that really raises the bar for its genre. 9.5/10

21. Rogue Legacy (Vita) - 13th August - approx. 20 hours
A disclaimer; I got to the final boss but couldn't quite beat it and have probably lost the enthusiasm to revisit the game and finish up now. Regardless, I really enjoyed the game, with butter smooth controls, an excellent character progression system, fun combat and enemies and great presentation. Probably the best Roguelike I've played. 8/10

22. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (PS3) - 17th September - approx. 10 hours
I'm not a big fan of the typical modern war FPS, but this exceeded all my expectations. The campaign was open enough to feel dynamic yet straightforward enough to feel purposeful, and I thought the characters were fun and likeable without being obnoxious. Controls were great, level design was excellent and there's a lot of variety to the mission design. I played maybe a couple of hours of the multiplayer as well which was a lot of fun even though one of the game modes seems to go on forever. But it's fast and fun and the demolition really makes it feel open-ended, and as a noob in online MP I found a fair amount of success. A really strong FPS in almost every regard. 8/10

23. Aliens: Colonial Marines (PS3) - 24th September - approx. 8 hours
I had pretty low expectations for this, but it honestly wasn't as bad as I expected. I thought they nailed a lot of the aesthetics, atmosphere and feel of the film, but it was sloppy execution and weird design decisions that dragged the whole game down. I couldn't get a multiplayer game on the couple of times I tried, so can't comment on that, but honestly on the whole this was merely average and not as bad as I'd been led to believe. 5/10

24. Tekken Revolution (PS3) - 24th September - approx. 4 hours
I haven't 'finished' this so to speak, but I doubt I'll play it again. Played the single player Arcade mode a bunch of times, and had a few fights online. It's pretty decent for an F2P game, and the amount of content is not bad, although £4 per character is pretty absurd and I probably would have put a bit of money into it had it been cheaper. I'm not a big fighting game fan, but this was pretty generous for free. 7/10

25. Murasaki Baby - 27th September - approx. 3 hours
I'll C&P a post I made in the game's OT: Finished it now, a really nice little game with some great ideas and neat puzzles, but I didn't always feel as in control as I would have liked. In fact, my favourite section might have been the tentacle pram, because it's the only place in the game I was genuinely in full control, rather than having to use the front or rear touch screens. Great ending song too. I give this wonderful little oddity two tentacle masks out of purple. (also known as 8/10)

26. Entwined (Vita) - 14th October - approx. 1 hour

27. Just Cause 2 (PS3) - 25th October - approx. 20 hours

28. Velocity 2X (Vita) - 28th October - approx. 5 hours

29. Mass Effect (PS3) - 6th November - approx. 27 hours
I really enjoyed this and I'm now questioning why it took me so long to play it. I absolutely love the world Bioware built, the technology and different alien races, and even though I already know the trilogy's whole story, I really like the storytelling and sense of mystery and the reveals towards the end. The Mako sections were decent and gave a sense of exploration and variety, I liked being able to 'explore' the galaxy even though it was through menus and I thought the politics between the different races were really interesting. It lacked polish in some areas, I didn't like some characters (Ashley and Kaiden mainly) and I thought the romance stuff was pretty fucking awful (right after giving my crew a pep talk about the final battle Kaiden was like "We have to talk do you love me or not I neeeed to know!!"), but overall this was such a great game and possibly my favourite sci-fi universe ever. I've already started ME2 with my imported character and decisions, and it's a nice feeling to know that things I did in the first game will ripple into the second game. And one last thing; I had to reload an old save and play about two hours in order to
save Wrex
, and it was absolutely worth it. 8.5/10

30. Journey (PS3) - 8th November - approx. 80 minutes
I played through this at the weekend with my 4 year old daughter, and it was such a nice experience. She really loved it, kept thanking me for buying her this lovely game, and was really hoping we would make it to the top of the mountain. She loved all the cloth animals that fly around and help you, and that getting a big scarf makes you fly higher, and we even spent some time trying to interpret the plot together. I try to shield her from the concept of death, but she understood that some of the murals were signifying people had died and I told her that I thought the person was trying to get to the top of the mountain so they could travel to the stars and be with their friends and family. It was so nice and she really enjoyed it, and gave me a big hug afterwards. Elsewhere, I think this second play-through made me appreciate it all the more and it's probably one of my favourite games on the PS3. 9/10

Rubius

Game 37 : Civilization V : Brave new World - 11/08/14
Not the biggest Civ or turn based strategy guy out there but the "Next turn" mentality is really addictive. Won a game in Brave New World in Time. I was going for Cultural, but the other guy had too much Culture, so I went for Science and Time Victory surprised me.

Game 38 : The Binding of Isaac : Rebirth - 10/11/14
Finally got all 16 endings for the game. My last run was crazy as hell. Still have about 120 items left to complete the game, but I will stop playing for a while. Trying to not burn the game too much. Really fun and addictive. 5/5

CFEBFF9F586A8F84D92EB05A73199CE14F1F3F3A

Game 39 : I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream - 11/13/14
Classic point and click with really obscure puzzle and the ending is really weird in term of trial and error to get the good ending. Music is nice, and the story is meh, voice acting is okay but the music is too loud to hear it. Some technical problem on Steam too. I had to use a Walkthrough a couple of time, mostly in the ending.. 3/5

Tybolt

Banned
I finally went ahead and posted an update on my first post to the thread here. I'm pretty disappointed in my progress so far, given the huge variety of games I have played this year.

Right here!

tav7623

This month I'm on a bit of a roll as I've lately been finishing off a bunch of games (approximately 8) that I had put on hold once October rolled around.

76. Super Smash Bros 3DS (&#8220;Finished&#8221; 11/4/14 &#8211; est playtime 14 + hrs) - I got this towards the end of October and this game to be honest is the first game in the Smash Bros series that I've actually played despite being a big fan of fighting games and I gotta say I kinda liked it. My only real complaint about the game (for the most part) was that there was no training mode to help teach newcomers the ins & outs of the game as well as help them learn how to play as the more "challenging" characters such as Mega Man.

77. Rusty&#8217;s Real Deal Baseball (Finished 11/5/14 &#8211; estimated playtime 11 + hrs) - I have a kind of love/hate thing with this game in that I (for the most part) enjoyed the (few) mini games I bought within the game (I mainly bought the "story" ones), but I hated that the game failed to deliver on the promise of allowing you to unlock some of the mini games for free by being a good haggler. Though out of the mini games I bought my favorite ones were the hitting and umping ones,as for the other three eh not so much.

78. Mario vs. Donkey Kong Minis March Again (Finished 11/6/14 &#8211; est playtime 4 hrs) - I've been playing this on and off since I got it last year through Club Nintendo, but it wasn't until recently that I sat down to play it for more than 30 min. All in all it wasn't all that bad and for a "free" game it definitely had a lot in the way of unlockable bonus levels that will have me coming back to this game from time to time.

79. Marvel vs. Capcom Origins (&#8220;Finished&#8221; 11/6/ 14 &#8211; est playtime 10+ hrs) I got this a few months ago when it went on sale for $4 and like everything else I've been playing it on and off for months. Though it wasn't until this month that I finally passed the 10 hr threshold after a 3 hr session. The original MvC is pretty solid, but it's far from my favorite game in the series (UMvC 3) and I really enjoyed Marvel Super Heroes even though I feel it's roster kinda sucks....where's The Punisher, Daredevil, Ghost Rider, Sabertooth, and/or Omega Red?

80. Street Fighter X Tekken (&#8220;Finished&#8221; 11/7/14 &#8211; est playtime 14+ hrs) - I bought the PS3 version of this game earlier this year as I had skipped it when it came out due to the whole DLC thing and I'm kinda glad I waited as I was able to get the 12 paid DLC characters for free through PS Plus when the Vita version was made one of the free PS Plus games for a month. As for the game itself, well I feel it's a nice twist on the Street Fighter IV engine, it had some pretty funny cutscenes/cinematics and iys a pretty good game overall. Though I will admit it still feels kind of weird using Street Fighter moves with Tekken characters and it doesn't have a theater mode, which is a pet peeve of mine as I use it to figure out which characters I've beaten the game with....plus some of the cutscenes/cinematics are pretty good.

81. Castlevania III (Finished 11/7/14 &#8211; playtime 5 hrs) - I've played this game on and off over the years, but I've never actually beaten it (the closest I got was the level right before the bridge) until now. In recent years I've been "exorcising" some gaming demons and when this game came out on the Wii U virtual console I felt it was the time to finally beat this game.

82. Kirby&#8217;s Adventure (Finished 11/8/14 &#8211; playtime 4 hrs) - I got this game for .30 back when the Wii U virtual console first launched because I had never played a Kirby game before (back in the day...when I first saw the pink fluffy one...I thought it was a character from a girls game) and I wanted to see what I had been missing out on. Now I'll be honest and say I did not like playing this game (I mainly hated the weird controls) when I first booted up the game and it wasn't until I played through all the Kirby Adventure challenges in NES Remix 2 that I decided to give the game a second go. Having beaten the game I still hate the controls and there were parts of the game that were imo a bit too easy, the one area I really really liked in the game were some of the mini games that were used in NES Remix.

83. They Bleed Pixels (Finished 11/11/14 &#8211; playtime 27 hrs) - This game was one of the dozen games I got free this year through SteamGaf (I unfortunately don't remember the user's name who gave me this game, but whoever you are, again thank you for the game!) giveaways and being a big fan of 2D platformers I was really looking forward to playing this game which as far as I can tell was done in the vein of games like Super Meat Boy and 1001 Spikes. While I've never played Super Meat Boy, I have played a 1001 Spikes (which I thoroughly enjoyed) and I can say with all honesty that this game is no 1001 Spikes and by the mid way point this game started to do something to me that few 2D platformers have done in years.......which is to get me pissed off. This game requires a lot of precision, but throw in some freezing/slowdown and the occasional non responsive controls, what you get is a receipt for trouble......and an excessive amount of deaths.

84. Borderlands 2 DLC: Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon's Keep (Finished 11/11/14 - est playtime 8 hrs) - About two months ago all the DLC for Borderlands 2 was put on sale, but at the time I could only pick up two of them so I picked up this and the Bloody Harvest DLC for about $5..... though I was really tempted to get the Scarlett Booty one instead. All in all I think I made a good choice going with this piece of story DLC as I found it hilarious even though there were a few jokes that went over my head. My only complaint with this piece of DLC had to do with the final boss which was a bit of a nightmare once you got to the
third and final form which spawned dragons that would constantly bombard you while you also got bombarded by the bosses attacks
which often led to some pretty quick deaths & lost ammo.

UPDATE - adding 4 more games to this post, this brings my final Nov tally to 13 games (would have finished more games, but I got sidetracked by Bravely Default which I recently got and have now put more than 50 hrs into)

85. Injustice: Gods Among Us (&#8220;Finished&#8221; 11/12/14 &#8211; est playtime 10 + hrs) &#8211; I got this game last year for Christmas and managed to tear through story mode before the start of the year. Since beating Story mode I hadn&#8217;t really touched the game more than twice this year, the first time being in March (played approx 7 hrs, mostly doing STAR Lab challenges) and the second time being this week (3 hrs so far) in preparation for a Injustice Tournament (which I ended up winning) that was being held at a local mom & pop game store.

86. Donkey Kong 94 (Finished 11/15/14 &#8211; est playtime 8hrs 30 min) - I got this game for free through Club Nintendo last year because I thought it was a GB port of the NES game, but boy was I wrong. This game blows the NES game out of the water as it features 10 "worlds" and 101 stages, so of which I found pretty challenging.

87. Donkey Kong Jr. (Finished 11/15/14 &#8211; est playtime 2 hrs) &#8211; I got this game for free through Club Nintendo earlier this year because I remembered playing (and liking) this game back in the day, but it had been so long since I had played it that I had forgotten just how short this game was as I was able to beat it several times on both mode A & B in less than 2 hrs.

88. Paranormal (Finished 11/21/14 &#8211; est playtime 45 mins) I got this Steam &#8220;Greenlight&#8221; PC game for free through SteamGaf (thank you Taku!) and after playing it I gotta say I feel really bad about it because the game is really short (I managed to experience the game's main "story" in less than a half hour) and was (outside of a few jump scares & the short bit in the bathroom) not all that good of a game imo.

Game #43: Pitiri 1977 (PC - Steam) [Time Played: 90 minutes]

Gameplay Footage

header.jpg

Steam Review
Pitiri 1977 is a fun, little platform game that mashes together the love for retro gaming, scifi and metroid.

In short, you run and jump, and gain powers to use to solve basic puzzles to advance through the story. Perhaps I'm writing this too soon after finishing the game, as I did enjoy what I played but it was over far too quickly. I think I must have done it in 90 minutes or so without really trying.

There isn't much to explore within the maps, so even when I went back to see if I had missed something it didn't appear as though I had. However... I still enjoyed it. It has a certain level of charm that can only be achieved by the developer's love for what they're doing.
All the art assets have been hand-drawn and put into the game, the animation reminds me of some of the cartoons I watched growing up, and there's just a sense of 'Child's Dream' to it all. It might not be for all, but it worked for me; mixed together with the soundtrack and the sci-fi references, I found myself smiling.

Once you complete the game you get to unlock Sandbox mode, which allows you to create your own levels - so I look forward to those in the future.

I think I preferred the Alternative Ending.

In shorter short: Short game with a high degree of charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom