• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT| As the Blight fades, BioWare returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doukou

Anyone able to get the quest near the first astronomy point? Can't find it.
Apperently it was somewhere far away. Oh well.

Hoo-doo

Banned
This week is going to be torment, i've got a balls-hard exam on friday and hopefully this game will be on the doormat once I get home. Can't wait to spend the entire fucking weekend on this.

bombshell

This week is going to be torment, i've got a balls-hard exam on friday and hopefully this game will be on the doormat once I get home. Can't wait to spend the entire fucking weekend on this.

Good luck with the exam!

I'll be diving into this game on Thursday.

Fiktion

Banned
I don't like that approval has been changed to come from dialogue only.

Yes it's more realistic and organic but it's also inconvenient and frustrating. I made two story choices that Sera greatly approved of, and did two Friends of Red Jenny missions that cancelled each other out because I accidentally sent the wrong adviser out on the second one. I haven't gotten a single personal scene with her yet and given how far I am already that's a little annoying.

She made me
be a dick to the mages
just because I was desperate for approval points. That's not the choice I would've made at all otherwise, but given that she'd greatly disapprove if I went the other way at this rate that would probably torpedo any realistic chance I'd have with her unless I was willing to invest some absurd amount of time making up the difference.

Also do not like the PC controls.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Any PS3 impressions thus far?

There's a lot of mixed impressions from bioware forums, some game play clips too .. main points to take from them:

- Game looks reasonably close to its next-gen counterpart, with less NPC's in crowded areas, texture popin and blocky blood splatters as the chief complaints.

- Load times are hella long (both PS3 and 360 have mandatory installs either way).

- One guy said the PS3 version looks better than 360, another said that the 360 is more smoother (this sounds like par for course for Frostbite 3 games on PS3/360).

otherwise people are saying the frame rate holds well during gameplay.

Fiktion

Banned
Would like to reiterate that they should have included companion gifts.

Also, if there's a way to track companion approval, I haven't found it.

I honestly wish Bioware would just scrap the tactical cam, and create a primarily gamepad controlled action rpg in the vain of Dragon's Dogma. Seeing as how mediocre the pc controls are in this game and looking at the inclusion of things like dodge rolls, parry moves and grappling chains, It seems like they want to but is afraid of the backlash after Dragon Age 2.

Tacticle cam is great in nightmare mode so far. That first boss has some pretty nasty aoe and frontal attacks and being able to move varric and the mage out of the way with the tactical cam has save my ass.

And that's it for today.

14 hours seems like enough.

Guys, my one big piece of advice is to do every single sidequest that gives you Power right away. Some of the big choices Act 2 onward on the war table are in the 20+ range to unlock, and some are timed.

Also, I really love how it actually matters who you send on Operations.

Karu

4 hours in, game just crashed on me. Time for my personal PS3-impressions, since some are interested in that. First a few disclaimer though: I'm by no means an expert. I probably won't use any technical terms because I simply don't know them etc. And I played Far Cry 3 on Ps3 and Diablo for more than 100 hours between 1 and 18 FPS without having much bother about it. I guess, since you are gonna play the last-gen version you already have rather low expectations...good for you, you probably need those. ;-)

The framerate is... well, you play on the PS3 and you will notice, especially entering fights or such, is somewhat laggy. It doesn't neccessarily destroy your flow, but fluid & smooth is definitely sth else. I don't quite remember if it's only during cutscenes but you will notice things that need time to load (the sign on a banner flag seems first like an 8-bit recreation, until it finishes loading mid-scene, people have not much cloth on, only to appear in shining armour the next second). Draw distance seems okay in my opinion - as I said having not much comparison.

All that said, it's by no means unplayable and I'm having a blast with it so far. Best advice: See and judge for yourself.

I choose Male Quanri and Sword/Shield-Warrior. So far so good, than the Ram-Meat Quest came along, I switched to Varric and.... fuck. Way more fun to play. But I hat restarting anything, so nope... will stick with my choice and just switch mid-battle if I care.

You see the Skyrim/Ubisoft-influences alot while exploring and questing. Map's your friend. Having not much issues with it, but it can be overwhelming at times, which gives me a slight "Checkbox"-feeling. We will see.

Edit: Oh, and it's really easy so far. Considering taking it up a notch, but it will probably balance out. Tactic-Cam is cool so far, which is good, since I have some probs with the action cam with the constant re-focussing and the camera following along no matter what.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
4 hours in, game just crashed on me. Time for my personal PS3-impressions, since some are interested in that. First a few disclaimer though: I'm by no means an expert. I probably won't use any technical terms because I simply don't know them etc. And I played Far Cry 3 on Ps3 and Diablo for more than 100 hours between 1 and 18 FPS without having much bother about it. I guess, since you are gonna play the last-gen version you already have rather low expectations...good for you, you probably need those. ;-)

The framerate is... well, you play on the PS3 and you will notice, especially entering fights or such, is somewhat laggy. It doesn't neccessarily destroy your flow, but fluid & smooth is definitely sth else. I don't quite remember if it's only during cutscenes but you will notice things that need time to load (the sign on a banner flag seems first like an 8-bit recreation, until it finishes loading mid-scene, people have not much cloth on, only to appear in shining armour the next second). Draw distance seems okay in my opinion - as I said having not much comparison.

All that said, it's by no means unplayable and I'm having a blast with it so far. Best advice: See and judge for yourself.

I choose Male Quanri and Sword/Shield-Warrior. So far so good, than the Ram-Meat Quest came along, I switched to Varric and.... fuck. Way more fun to play. But I hat restarting anything, so nope... will stick with my choice and just switch mid-battle if I care.

You see the Skyrim/Ubisoft-influences alot while exploring and questing. Map's your friend. Having not much issues with it, but it can be overwhelming at times, which gives me a slight "Checkbox"-feeling. We will see.

Edit: Oh, and it's really easy so far. Considering taking it up a notch, but it will probably balance out. Tactic-Cam is cool so far, which is good, since I have some probs with the action cam with the constant re-focussing and the camera following along no matter what.

How's the character creation? A guy in the BSN forum claims textures are missing and some such. Did you notice anything glaringly bad in cc?

ekim

Man... I'm really glad I was able to try the EA Access version before blindly buying it based on the reviews. While I like the art design, I'm not really feeling this game. The areas are stuffed with things to do and while all those activities are quite rewarding everything feels disconnected. I'm missing the immersion that makes a good RPG for me. I can't really describe it - maybe I stepped with the wrong foot into the game and need to give it another try but at the moment my wallet is happy.

MaddenNFL64

Got to Haven. Loved that first boss fight on hard! Tac cam, action, tac cam, action. Loved juggling those 2 aspects to break down that first boss.

Moaradin

This game has SO many dialogue options. I've been sitting here having a conversation with Solas about his work and the Fade for like 20 minutes now lol. Love it.

wolfhowwl

Banned
Spent some time before bed demolishing mages and templars in the hinterlands. Haven't had any issues other than having some Templar Defenders spawn out of thin air right next to my Inquisitor and promptly wrecking my party.

Fiktion

Banned
Reading up on romance progression, it seems I might need to get to Skyhold.

I'm right up to that part but it's too late to continue. Oh well.

Evo X

Anyone know if you can "upgrade" to the deluxe version somehow? Or if you can buy the extra dlc seperately in some way?

Not possible unfortunately. They may release the gear as separate DLC later on, but it's exclusive to the Deluxe version for now.

I got the Deluxe for the soundtrack really. Don't care much for the other stuff.

Weird, the game didn't load me into the introduction for the elf mage.....just in a mountain area with no quests and broken animations. Time to create my character again because lolautosave.

Moff

Weird, the game didn't load me into the introduction for the elf mage.....just in a mountain area with no quests and broken animations. Time to create my character again because lolautosave.

the mountain area is the introduction, there are no "origins" this time

vareon

Apparently none of the online stores sell it in my region, except Origin which is $69 for the standard version.

Fug this, I'm going to buy physical when it's here :[

Fiktion

Banned
So anybody know how to check approval? Or how to raise it outside of random dialogue?

I've been complaining up and down this page about the same thing. You can't.

I've recruited the mages, fought through the
dark future, returned to the present day
and am preparing for an assault on the breach and I still haven't triggered any relationship conversations with Sera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom