• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wired's 10 most disappointing games of 08

JBuccCP

For me, there haven't been too many disappointments this year. One of the advantages of not being able to play that many games. I do sometimes feel like the only person alive who doesn't love Fable 2.

edit: Also the rest of my list:

GTA IV
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Or is that 1.5 har har
Madden/NCAA - have become yearly disappointments. Every year praying they'll bring back the magic last gen's games had.

Trevor360

Banned
Baconbitz said:
Brawl couldn't be more overated. Horrid online, lacking in most departments.
Beyond online, what is lacking that would cause one to be disappointed in a Smash Bros sequel? You say "most departments" so surely u have further examples.

Blast Processing's top 10 most disappointing games of 2008:

10.Mirror's Edge
9.Grand Theft Auto IV
8.Prince of Persia
7.Too Human
6.Castle Crashers
5.Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
4.Tomb Raider Underworld
3.Little Big Planet
2.Resistance 2
1.Infinite Undiscovery

Don't forget to digg this post!

Ganondorfo said:
BTW, silent hill homecoming was also dissapointing.

See that one I knew would be bad. I wasn't prepared though for not being able to invert the camera controls, like you can in every other game in the world. This game deserves to be on a special shit list.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Dead Space, ME, and PoP being on the list but Animal Crossing and GTA IV not being there is some kind of crime.

REV 09

don't really see how Dead Space can be disappointing. I didn't even hear many complaints about the game. I love other titles like PoP and ME, but i can understand the complaints.

Dead Space definitely doesn't deserve to be there.

As much as I enjoyed STALKER Clear Sky, it definitely deserves to be there. It was quite a let down overall.

soldat7

JaCy said:
Dead Space doesn't deserve to be on that list.

1zgt9hu.jpg

Dead Space is my GOTY.

um, yeah...take Dead Space off that list and replace it with GTA4.

Dead Space is probably my GOTY...fuck, I hope it sells well.

arne

Has anybody even bothered to read this list to see why they chose those games as disappointing?

Seems like many, if not most, of you have. If you disagree shouldn't you be disagreeing regarding why the Wired writers thought it should be included on the list rather than going "no, it shouldn't be on the list?" debate it, otherwise you're just whining.

If you'd have read it, all you Dead Space whiners, you'll notice they praise so much of the game anyway

A gorgeous, seamless interface? "Strategic dismemberment"? Survival horror in space that (sort of) doesn't involve zombies? And a fantastic story penned with help from the esteemed Warren Ellis? Dead Space seemed like a guaranteed thrill ride.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
arne said:
Has anybody even bothered to read this list to see why they chose those games as disappointing?

Seems like many, if not most, of you have. If you disagree shouldn't you be disagreeing regarding why the Wired writers thought it should be included on the list rather than going "no, it shouldn't be on the list?" debate it, otherwise you're just whining.

If you'd have read it, all you Dead Space whiners, you'll notice they praise so much of the game anyway

Welcome to GAF. Please take one of our complimentary toute bags before you leave.

Proven

arne said:

All it took was 115 posts, heh.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
JSnake said:
6. Mirror's Edge

gtfo

the list goes on to criticize the simplifications and automations of the new prince game, and really there's no better critique of that kind of thing than mirror's edge

soldat7

arne said:

I'm very proud to call myself a Dead Space whiner. The game doesn't deserve to be on any 'disappointing games' list. Ever.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
arne said:

Don't come in here beeing all "Mr. Reasonable"!

Fredescu

arne said:
I read that as them saying they liked the idea, while the rest of the paragraph bags on the actual execution of it. So they praised it until the point that they played it. Faint praise if praise at all. My copy of Dead Space is still in the shrink wrap though so I don't know if they're right or not yet.

For what it's worth, in respect to my expectations I was only really disappointed by one game this year: Warioland: Shake It or the Shake Dimension or whatever it should be called.

bj00rn_

Banned
arne said:

Dead Space does not belong on the list. Debate over.

Lo-Volt

Well, Dead Space's 'shocker' ending was certainly a letdown, so it wasn't perfect. Still shouldn't be on this list, though. :(

Future said:
Damn, everyone agreeing with Spore? Skipped it, but I guess its true that no one is talking about it at all anymore

No, Spore is brilliant. But there's no point arguing about it because you're never going to convince idiots who think that streamlining is a bad thing. Luckily it's still selling well (outsold Fallout 3 on PC in November) so you don't have to.

Dartastic

Well, at least he got number one right. I also fully support Prince of Persia being on there. I have to agree with the WTF sentiment with Dead Space being on that list. Same goes for Mirror's Edge; that's one of my favorite games of this year, easy. God, what a shitty list.

sprocket

Banned
10. Age of Conan - NO
9. Tom Clancy's EndWar - YES
8. Too Human - sort of
7. STALKER: Clear Sky - didnt play
6. Mirror's Edge - YES
5. Dead Space - YES
4. Prince of Persia - didnt play
3. Mario Kart Wii (wut?) - WTF?!
2. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed - NO
1. Spore- NO

[/QUOTE]

Grayman

Farnack said:
No PS3 exclusives in there. 8D

Must mean...
Year of the PS3
I thought it meant that publications gave up on pushing negativity at the PS3 because it does not matter now. I was expecting to see multiple PS3 exclusive games on the list.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
JSnake said:
Searched, lock if old.

http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/12/disappointing-g.html

OH BOY HERE WE GO

actually I agreed with some of this list which is more than I can say for other lists

10. Age of Conan
9. Tom Clancy's EndWar
8. Too Human
7. STALKER: Clear Sky
6. Mirror's Edge
5. Dead Space
4. Prince of Persia
3. Mario Kart Wii (wut?)
2. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
1. Spore
We can salvage it:

10. Age of Conan
9. Tom Clancy's EndWar
8. Too Human
7. STALKER: Clear Sky
6. Mirror's Edge Far Cry 2
5. Dead Space Mercenaries 2
4. Prince of Persia GTAIV
3. Mario Kart Wii (wut?) Need for Speed Undercover
2. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
1. Spore

drohne said:
the list goes on to criticize the simplifications and automations of the new prince game, and really there's no better critique of that kind of thing than mirror's edge
So Baker and I actually just did a video arguing about Mirror's Edge vs. Prince of Persia. I'm on your side about this one.

Didn't think Dead Space would be the most controversial entry!

Tiktaalik

If you're going to put Mario Kart Wii on there you might as well throw on Animal Crossing Wii as well. The two were disappointments for me for the same reasons. Nintendo had a great opportunity to do something different, but went for the easy, conservative route in both situations.

Woo-Fu

Banned
It would be interesting to know how many people who are listing LBP as a game that should be on the list actually played LBP. I'm confident the two figures would not be the same. :D

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Tomb Raider Underworld is a good midpoint between Mirror's Edge and Prince of Persia. And it disappointed no one since it is so amazing ^____^ rawr

arne

bj00rn_ said:
Dead Space does not belong on the list. Debate over.

Good job for supporting your argument, precisely ignoring what I was just asking people to do -- you know, healthy debate about this.

Thank you for playing.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Woo-Fu said:
It would be interesting to know how many people who are listing LBP as a game that should be on the list actually played LBP. I'm confident the two figures would not be the same. :D

Amazing presentation and level creation both destroyed by horribly broken platforming IMO.

Sill, for the size of the team is a mighty fine effort.

plovie

I was quite pleased with the way Too Human turned out. I'll even say that it's the most entertaining game of the year, and I haven't even played it :lol

Dead Space easily far exceeded expectations. I'm pretty sure that's a consensus around the entire industry (except for Wired apparently)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
SuperDowns said:
Seriously why is so much hate on GTA4?
The single player was boring, and the PC version was truly a serious disappointment. It doesn't help that more enjoyable games like Crackdown and Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction didn't get nearly as much attention from the press. And even the media has started to admit that they overrated the game.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Blast Processing said:
Blast Processing's top 10 most disappointing games of 2008:

10.Mirror's Edge
9.Grand Theft Auto IV
8.Prince of Persia
7.Too Human
6.Castle Crashers
5.Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
4.Tomb Raider Underworld
3.Little Big Planet
2.Resistance 2
1.Infinite Undiscovery

Don't forget to digg this post!
You sir, SHUT THAT DIRTY MOUTH!!!

GT5P is fucking awesome, as is LBP.

legend166

Gotta agree on Spore. :(

I don't get how Mario Kart is on the list. Not only is it pretty fantastic, everyone was completely down on it before release. I remember the feeling towards it on GAF before it came out. And it was probably fair enough. People were actually really surprised at the positive impressions started flooding in. So I don't know how it could be considered a disappointment.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Insane Metal said:
You sir, SHUT THAT DIRTY MOUTH!!!

GT5P is fucking awesome, as is LBP.

GT5p is a good game but the disappointment comes the the total failure of Sony and PD to make good on their promises of amazing content and features.

Top Bottom