• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF GOTY Game List for 2021 - check yours is included

cormack12

Gold Member
This usually gets stickied DGrayson DGrayson Faust Faust Bill O'Rights Bill O'Rights but this is the game list that I'll be using for the game of the year. I will definitely have missed some titles off so rely on a bit of community help to fill them in. I don't try to list every game, just cover the main ones really. Generally I provide a list to start with and if people notice glaring omissions they want to vote for then just post in here and I'll add them ready for the actual vote later in the month. They're alphabetised or Ctrl+F works. If your game isn't there just reply and I'll add it into the seed list ready for votes!

Recent feedback has been that the list contained too many games that were not really going to be voted for, and could the list be truncated. So I've had a stab at removing some of the more eclectic titles which I'm sure would get zero votes but still left a few of those edge titles that people may vote for. Let me know either way over the next couple of weeks.

A Plague Tale: Innocence
Aeon Must Die!
Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition - Dawn of the Dukes
Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition – Lords of the West
Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition – The African Royals
Age of Empires IV
Alan Wake Remastered
Alien: Isolation
Aliens: Fireteam Elite
Apex Legends
Asterix and Obelisk: Slap them all!
Axiom Verge 2
Back 4 Blood
Backbone
Balan Wonderworld
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
Battlefield 2042
Biomutant
Bravely Default 2
Call of Duty: Vanguard
Call of the Sea
Capcom Arcade Stadium
Castlevania Advance Collection
Chernobylite
Chicory: A Colorful Tale
Chivalry 2
Chorus
Control: Ultimate Edition
Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time
Cris Tales
Crysis Remastered Trilogy
Curse of the Dead Gods
Danganronpa Decadence
Darksiders III
Days Gone
Death Stranding Director's Cut
Deathloop
Death's Door
Destroy All Humans!
Destruction AllStars
Diablo II: Resurrected
Disco Elysium: The Final Cut
DOOM 3 VR
Dragon Quest Builders 2
Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance
Dusk
Earth Defense Force: World Brothers
eFootball 2022
Ender Lilies: Quietus of the Knights
F.I.S.T.: Forged In Shadow Torch
F1 2021
Far Cry 6
Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water
FIFA 22
Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade
Final Fantasy XIV
Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker
Five Nights at Freddy's: Core Collection
Five Nights at Freddy's: Security Breach
Football Manager 2022
Forza Horizon 5
Genesis Noir
Genshin Impact
Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut
Ghostrunner
Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection
Godfall
Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition
Guardians of the Galaxy
Guilty Gear Strive
Hades
Halo Infinite
Hell Let Loose
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Hitman 3
Hood: Outlaws & Legends
Hot Wheels Unleashed
Inscryption
Insurgency: Sandstorm
Iris.Fall
It Takes Two
Jett: The Far Shore
Judgment
Jumanji: The Curse Returns
Jurassic World Evolution 2
Just Dance 2022
Just Die Already
Kena: Bridge of Spirits
Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix
Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix
Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue
Kingdom Hearts III + Re Mind
Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory
Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning
Knockout City
Lake
Legend of Mana
Lego Marvel Super Heroes
Leisure Suit Larry: Wet Dreams Dry Twice
Life Is Strange: True Colors
Little Nightmares II
Lost Judgment
Madden NFL 22
Maneater
Maquette
Mario Golf: Super Rush
Mario Party Superstars
Marvel's Avengers
Mass Effect Legendary Edition
MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries
Metro Exodus Complete Edition
Metroid Dread
Microsoft Flight Simulator
Microsoft Flight Simulator: Game of the Year Edition
MLB The Show 21
Monster Hunter Rise
Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin
Moose Life
Mortal Shell: Enhanced Edition
MotoGP 21
Mundaun
My Friend Peppa Pig
NBA 2K22
Neo: The World Ends with You
New World
NHL 22
Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom – Prince's Edition
Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl
Nier Replicant ver.1.22474487139...
Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection
Nioh 2 - The Complete Edition
Nioh Remastered - The Complete Edition
No More Heroes
No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
No More Heroes III
Oddworld: Soulstorm
Orcs Must Die! 3
Outer Wilds
Outer Wilds: Echoes of the Eye
Outriders
Overboard
Overcooked! All You Can Eat
Pac-Man 99
Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous
Persona 5 Strikers
Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis
Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville – Complete Edition
Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl
Pokémon Unite
Postal Redux
Psychonauts 2
PUBG: New State
Puyo Puyo Tetris 2
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
Record of Loddos War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth
Resident Evil 4: VR
Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
Resident Evil Village
Returnal
Ride 4
Riders Republic
RiMS Racing
R-Type: Final 2
Ruined King: A League of Legends Story
Rust
SaGa Frontier Remastered
Saints Row: The Third Remastered
Scarlet Nexus
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game – Complete Edition
Sea of Solitude: Director's Cut
Serious Sam 4
Sherlock Holmes: Chapter One
Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster
Shin Megami Tensei V
Skate City
Sky: Children of the Light
Skyforge
Skyrim: Anniversary Edition
Smelter
Smelter
Sniper Elite VR
Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts 2
SNK vs. Capcom: The Match of the Millennium
Solar Ash
Song of Horror
Spelunky
Spelunky 2
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Star Wars: Republic Commando
Streets of Rage 4 - Mr. X Nightmare
Subnautica
Subnautica: Below Zero
Super Auto Pets
Super Bomberman R Online
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury
Super Meat Boy Forever
Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania
Tales from the Borderlands
Tales of Arise
Tales of Luminaria
Terminator: Resistance Enhanced
Tetris Effect: Connected
The Ascent
The Binding of Isaac: Repentance
The Caligula Effect 2
The Dark Pictures Anthology: House of Ashes
The Elder Scrolls Online
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Anniversary Edition
The Falconeer: Warrior Edition
The Forgotten City
The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles
The Gunk
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD
The Medium
The Riftbreaker
The Yakuza Remastered Collection
Thomas Was Alone
Tiny Tina’s Assault on Dragon Keep: A Wonderlands One-Shot Adventure
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2
Total War: Rome Remastered
Trials of Mana
Tribes of Midgard
Twelve Minutes
Two Point Hospital: Jumbo Edition
Undertale
Unpacking
Voice of cards: The Isle Dragon roars
Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown
Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Storm Ground
WarioWare: Get It Together!
World War Z
World War Z: Aftermath
Worms Rumble
WRC 10
Wreckfest
Yakuza 6: The Song of Life
Yakuza: Like a Dragon
Zombies Ate My Neighbors

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
So then why didn't you put Skyrim Anniversary Edition on the list this year?
That's what this thread is for:

I will definitely have missed some titles off so rely on a bit of community help to fill them in

brain GIF by University of California

cormack12

Gold Member
Does Grounded qualify?

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?​

“We want to make the best experience possible and putting an exact timeline on an early-in-development game is very challenging. That said, we also want to be transparent with our community, so we will give you our best guess with the understanding that these plans may change. The current target for Grounded’s full release is sometime in 2022.”

anthony2690

Banned
Halo infinite is all that matters currently :)
I've also been playing quite a bit of hot wheels Unleashed, a friend gifted me it & it was such a genuine surprise.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Couple missing are Overboard! and Super Auto Pets

Blizzard released World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade Classic this year which should be on the list, it's a re-release of the expansion from 2007 but on a new set of servers, the first official ones since the original launch, on a modern client with some tweaks etc.

I personally think it's weird to omit games that are in early access these days. Valheim was released in February and that's when it was hugely popular, fully playable with 5 bosses. That game could be in "early access" for years to come because really that's not even what the term means any more, it's just an ongoing development. Just my take on it. If we can have Skyrim with a bunch of fan-made addons I don't see why we can't have Valheim.

Notabueno

Banned
It's the first time I see the GAF GOTY, so I'm not familiar with the rule but...what are the rules exactly because it seem absolutely pointless to include that many game, especially re-releases of older games.

Pitting a game that produced and released in a context vastly different to newly produced and released games is like having movies from 2015 pitted against movies from 2021 in the oscars...

Anyway for the GOTY already happened and pretty much was on point: It Takes Two, Deathloop and Psychonauts 2

Topher

Gold Member
It's the first time I see the GAF GOTY, so I'm not familiar with the rule but...what are the rules exactly because it seem absolutely pointless to include that many game, especially re-releases of older games.

Pitting a game that produced and released in a context vastly different to newly produced and released games is like having movies from 2015 pitted against movies from 2021 in the oscars...

Anyway for the GOTY already happened and pretty much was on point: It Takes Two, Deathloop and Psychonauts 2

what do you mean “GOTY already happened”?

Plantoid

He thinks tga is the only "award"

On topic: lots of games that didn't release this year, I don't feel that's the right thing to do, why is Jedi fallen order here? (It's my goty in it's release year but it wasn't on 2021)

Anyways I know for sure who's gonna win here at GAF

Notabueno

Banned

The Game Awards selection (which users could vote for) was already a preselection based on the aggregation of the major medias, institutions and professionals juries as well as other indicators (although I didn't get an exact answer as to what they are). It is going to increasingly become the standard for the GOTY awards as more jury members are added.

That does not mean people or outlet can't do their own "best game of the year" list, but that is going to become increasingly like comparing the Oscars or Golden Globe (if a second industry standard ceremony emerges) to a media's "best movie of the year".

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
The Game Awards selection (which users could vote for) was already a preselection based on the aggregation of the major medias, institutions and professionals juries as well as other indicators (although I didn't get an exact answer as to what they are). It is going to increasingly become the standard for the GOTY awards as more jury members are added.

That does not mean people or outlet can't do their own "best game of the year" list, but that is going to become increasingly like comparing the Oscars or Golden Globe (if a second industry standard ceremony emerges) to a media's "best movie of the year".

No Way GIF

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

Psychonauts 2 didn't win a single award at TGA. Little odd that you put the show on such a pedestal when you didn't pay attention to it.

TGA is not the be-all end-all of GOTY, it's a meme just like the Oscars are a meme. It's like saying there's no point in other outlets because IGN exists.

iQuasarLV

Final Fantasy XIV
Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker

I mean that is just not fair. It is going to split the votes between an expansion and the core game.

Notabueno

Banned
Psychonauts 2 didn't win a single award at TGA. Little odd that you put the show on such a pedestal when you didn't pay attention to it.

TGA is not the be-all end-all of GOTY, it's a meme just like the Oscars are a meme. It's like saying there's no point in other outlets because IGN exists.

Sure but it was one of the finalist and I'm also fine with the two others one.

Anyway I'm sorry that you never worked in any cultural or entertainment industry if you think the Oscars, Sundance or Cannes are a joke.
IGN however is a joke, also a media and there's a reason why there's tons of them unlike the limited number of major award ceremonies, which in fact all medias report on.

Anyway my point is: I think the GAF GOTY would have all the more power if it happened before the TGA and had a tighter selection.

AV

Sure but it was one of the finalist and I'm also fine with the two others one.

Anyway I'm sorry that you never worked in any cultural or entertainment industry if you think the Oscars, Sundance or Cannes are a joke.
IGN however is a joke, also a media and there's a reason why there's tons of them unlike the limited number of major award ceremonies, which in fact all medias report on.

Anyway my point is: I think the GAF GOTY would have all the more power if it happened before the TGA and had a tighter selection.

It wasn't even a finalist in the player's choice award.

Nice of you to put words in my mouth about the film festivals, but not only have the Oscars have been a joke for a long time, they've really nailed their own coffin with the absurd ruleset they implemented recently because of the riots in America. They've been completely politicised more than they were before. If you want to pretend that's a fair awards show be my guest, but just because an event full of celebrities patting themselves on the back is well-reported doesn't make it worth paying attention to.

We have GAF awards because it's a completely transparent and community driven one where you can actually see our top 20 for the year. Ghost of Tsushima won in 2020, but what, we shouldn't bother because it's actually The Last of Us 2..? Because journalists said so? Our 2019 winner was different too and our #4 that year wasn't even nominated for TGA.

TGA is a meme, it's just one awards show of many and the vast majority of people who watch do it to laugh at the cringe and see game trailers.

Matt_Fox

If you removed the remasters / ports / rerelease versions of older games from the list, it would be half as long and the better for it.

I think Mass Effect or Skyrim or the entire Yakuza collection are unarguably bigger, better more epic game experiences than any of the brand new 2021 releases, but I also think it would be against the spirit of '2021' to vote for them!

For me, the game should have its debut release in 2021 to qualify.

Last edited:

DZ_b_EZ

The story alone made Cyberpunk 2077 my game of the year.
It's been a difficult year trying to find another immersive experience that could grab as much of my attention as that game did.

I don’t mind if ports are included, they rarely get many votes anyway. But if clutter is a problem then I think those should be the first to go rather than new releases.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
It's going to Chorus for me so far. It's been almost two decades since I've had a space sim that innovates combat and focuses on fun and a good story. I also can't remember the last time I jumped into a space fantasy star system and was just blown away by the backdrop/graphics. Space sims should be further along like this but attention has been hogged by trash like star citizen and elite dangerous. Space combat in Star Citizen is a gdam boring joke (I've had many hours in their ptu). They have all forgotten what fun is.

Top Bottom