• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Number of console games published per platform holder in 2023:Xbox 11, Playstation 5, Switch 14

Rac3r

Sony has been a disgrace this year. Would it really have killed Jimbo to have funded some AA games via Japan Studios? This AAA-reliant output is killing their previously consistent output.
I loved Japan studio, but no, they wouldn't have helped with "consistent output", that was the problem. It took Team Siren/Gravity 5 years to make GR2, and they still haven't put anything out as Bokeh Studio (no date for Slitterhead). Then there was Fumito Ueda's team, who left Japan Studio after the Last Guardian, and Ueda still hasn't put out a game since forming GenDesign. The only worthwhile teams there were Asobi and the external development team (xDev), who are still around.

RickMasters

What a load of bullshit. Most "grown ups" aren't pathetic corporate shills like you. If you don't like being called one, quit acting like one.
Again with the idiotic response that you legit think has some kind of weightā€¦ā€¦ stating a fact you donā€™t like Makes somebody a shill? Go look up the word and come back when you can talk like an adult. So childish. Tut tut.

But one more timeā€¦.. itā€™s called business. Getā€¦. Over it.

Thatā€™s a factā€¦. Your asinine name calling is not.

You sound pathetic. You think you are ā€˜ sticking it to the manā€™ running around calling people ā€œshillsā€ on the internet? Do yourself a favour and shut the fuck up. Fight the good fight console warrior n all dat! ! Oh the irony of youā€¦.. grow up and stop calling people names over the internetā€¦. Corny muthafucka . šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Gojiira

If that list can include games like Starfield and Ghostwire then the PS list damn well should include Final Fantasy XVI,Spiderman 2,Helldivers 2 etc etc as well.
This year was slow for Playstation but nowhere near as bad as is being made out. Its like people forget just how many AAA games came out this year from third parties, why would they flood the market when next year they have more to gain with several blockbuster releases and relatively little competition.
And even beyond that is that Xbox list supposed to be impressive? Or a sign they have turned things around? Its all ā€˜midā€™ average titles not system sellers.

drganon

Again with the idiotic response that you legit think has some kind of weightā€¦ā€¦ stating a fact you donā€™t like Makes somebody a shill? Go look up the word and come back when you can talk like an adult. So childish. Tut tut.

But one more timeā€¦.. itā€™s called business. Getā€¦. Over it.

Thatā€™s a factā€¦. Your asinine name calling is not.

You sound pathetic. You think you are ā€˜ sticking it to the manā€™ running around calling people ā€œshillsā€ on the internet? Do yourself a favour and shut the fuck up. Fight the good fight console warrior n all dat! ! Oh the irony of youā€¦.. grow up and stop calling people names over the internetā€¦. Corny muthafucka . šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
fap-fapping.gif

Kataploom

Gold Member
How many of those games are you buying though?
The only relevant ones I see are FE Engage, Metroid REMASTER (neither of which have ever been big sellers) Detective Pikachu (and I know core gamers aren't messing with that) Zelda and Mario Wonder.
Man, I can't believe I made a joke post about "B-but it doesn't count BECAUSE.." regarding Nintendo and you come and post this. LMAO Every game count, if not, we can say many Xbox and PS games never count, like that VR thing I didn't even know existed because who plays VR? Let alone that Hi-Fi Rush, I thought I saw some meme but didn't know it was an ACTUAL game! :O

All games count, Nintendo is killing it because they're smarter businessmen, that's just it.

Kataploom

Gold Member
āœ… Hi-Fi Rush
āœ… Redfall
āœ… Starfield

you Right. Buying huge publishers and ripping their games off other platforms is great for the industry. šŸ«¦šŸ’¦šŸ˜«
FF7R, Ghostwire Tokyo, Forspoken, FF16, SH2R, Deathloop... Those are some I can think of from the top of my head. They didn't buy the publisher because they couldn't. Let's just accept everyone does business as dirt as it benefits them.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Well, to be fair they count the GOTY edition of HFW as a "new game" too.

Sony has been a disgrace the whole generation, but a few people are ready to admit it (or can see it).
HFW was disappointing, GOW Ragnarok was disappointing, GT7 too, Demon's Souls is good but it's a remake, Returnal is good.

Something people don't realize is 99% of Sony's best exclusives are 3rd party games. Since the beginning, and through the years they are losing them all, since the PS1 it always has been the same. They lost the exclusivity of :
- Ridge Racer
- Tekken
- Final Fantasy (going back and forth)
- Metal Gear Solid
- Silent Hill (going back and forth too)
- Chrono series / Xeno series
- Persona
- SMT
- Resident Evil
- Spyro
- Crash Bandicoot
- GTA

The studios they own are making great games but to me HFW, GOWR, GT7, are all just "good", sure graphically they're great but gameplay-wise, nothing that good since TLOU2 I'd say.

And look at their recent releases Spider-Man Remastered GOTY PS5 updated edition : 79.99ā‚¬. TLOU part1 graphical update 79,99ā‚¬, and what's their next release ? TLOU part2 PS5 graphical update which will probably be 79.99 too.

We have no other 1st party games announced than SM2 releasing this month and Wolverine and even if this releases in 2024, it'll be 1st party game. And even if now some games are announced and released in the same year, those are always "little" games or remasters/remakes, not AAA/AAAA games.

But sales are good so that's that. But how long will they be ? Being in an early PS3 era scenario in 2024 wouldn't be good for them.
Funny thing is IMO, every Nintendo, Sega, PS and Xbox system Ive owned the best games skew heavy third party (before any acquisitions). I'd say the only system which for me skew to first party games being overall the best might be Genesis.

I would say the amount of games a game company releases for its game console in a given time frame is a somewhat important stat, but maybe that's just me

I would say itā€™s relative to the quality of the output

Plenty of years where a company releases quantity with hardly any of it worth playing

Elog

I think the lists are pretty irrelevant as such due to weird methodology etc. However, Nintendo has had a great year. Sony and Xbox less so. Personally, I did not expect much from MS outside Starfield but I expected more from Sony.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
In my opinion this gen has been great for 3rd party games, most best games I experienced this gen all mostly comes from 3rd party games.

FF7R, Ghostwire Tokyo, Forspoken, FF16, SH2R, Deathloop... Those are some I can think of from the top of my head. They didn't buy the publisher because they couldn't. Let's just accept everyone does business as dirt as it benefits them.

They tried to buy Square Enix and Konami?

Nintendo stays winning lmao Xbox finally waking up after covid but more wirh quantity than quality and Sony with the crickets cuz Jimbo is too busy stealing all the money and goodwill made by his better predecesors before he retires next year.
Jimbo is the office employee that stole all the paperclips and microwaved a fish before leaving forever.

ProtoByte

Man, I can't believe I made a joke post about "B-but it doesn't count BECAUSE.." regarding Nintendo and you come and post this. LMAO Every game count, if not, we can say many Xbox and PS games never count, like that VR thing I didn't even know existed because who plays VR? Let alone that Hi-Fi Rush, I thought I saw some meme but didn't know it was an ACTUAL game! :O

All games count, Nintendo is killing it because they're smarter businessmen, that's just it.
They count, but how much do they matter? I'll be say it, the only relevant thing to come from Sony's first party is Spider-Man 2. No one cares about Call of The Mountain.

Woopah

Sony's had an off year, but 2024 should be much better.

Nintendo's had a really good year, but not as good as 2022.

Microsoft has had their best year of the gen so far, but not sure they can follow it up next year.

If it wasn't for the re-release of Wii U games the Switch could have been labelled the same near the start. Luckily for Switch only idiots (myself included) bought the Wii U.
That would definitely be true for 2018, but they hadn't fully combined their output yet at that point.
If that list can include games like Starfield and Ghostwire then the PS list damn well should include Final Fantasy XVI,Spiderman 2,Helldivers 2 etc etc as well.
Starfield should absolutely be on the list as it's published by a first party and released in 2023.

Whereas FFXVI isn't published by Sony in most markets, and Helldivers 2 isn't releasing in 2023.

GHound

All I get from that is that Sony has to buy more studios and a publisher or two so they can compete. šŸ™ƒ

Last edited:

RickMasters

Sony's had an off year, but 2024 should be much better.

Nintendo's had a really good year, but not as good as 2022.

Microsoft has had their best year of the gen so far, but not sure they can follow it up next year.

That would definitely be true for 2018, but they hadn't fully combined their output yet at that point.

Starfield should absolutely be on the list as it's published by a first party and released in 2023.

Whereas FFXVI isn't published by Sony in most markets, and Helldivers 2 isn't releasing in 2023.

Agreed. I think Sony will have more to shout about next year.

Nintendo has been strong all gen I think. And will continue to be as switch 2 comes along and new hardware puts all the gaming media attention on them. Assuming switch 2 comes out next year, Nintendo will be the talk of the town all year.

I know people have mixed feelings about strfield but Iā€™m enjoying it. Hi fi rush was fun. And forza is gonna be good too. Iā€™m happy with their exclusives this. Just a shame redfall wasnā€™t a descent game that would have been a good bit of icing in the cake.Next year they got avowed, stalker 2, hellblade 2, so right off the bat thatā€™s three big AAA exclusives for Xbox. Weā€™ll just have to see how the rest of the year pans out but they have more than enough studios to start getting their exclusive releases out on a more consistent basis, and hopefully with a mind for quality before getting things out for the sake of getting things out.

Delays will happen with all three companies. We just donā€™t know what will get delayed. And then there is always the new announcements. They got over 30 studios there should be no shortage of thoseā€¦. And then there are the suprise releases. I wouldnā€™t mind a few more hi fi rush, phyconuaghts 2 AA but high quality games to sit in between those big releases. Maybe a cool Metroidvania here or there. They even got a few cool exclusive indies. Xbox will be just fine in 2024. What we need to be checking for is that they donā€™t repeat mistakes that led to redfall failing as a game.

so wtf was the original poster going on about? šŸ˜‚

Ozzie666

Usless thread and metrics.

Who had the marketing for Hogswart? who had the exclusive FF16? Who has the one of the most anticipated sequels set to sell gang busters? Is Sony's out first party put low? yes? Is Sony smart enough to know to play the game and use third-party titles with marketing? yes. Keep up people.

The gamespass effect with games losing their value and cheaper development conitnues, expected with a service like this.

Top Bottom