• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the absolute worst game of 2014 you played?

Plenty of bummers this year. Watch Dogs, ACU, Dark Souls 2, pretty much everything not called Spelunkey on PS+.....

But I pick Destiny.

Its not broken. Its something worse. Something games should never be.

Its boring.

3-way tie between Destiny, Master Chief Collection and AC Unity.

Destiny because its probably the biggest disappointment of my gaming life.

MCC because it doesn't freaking work.

AC Unity because performance was so awful I had to shelf it after a few hours.

MCC and AC:U could be and probably both will be fixed, so it would take them out of the discussion. Destiny however is beyond repair and they just keep making it worse. Most disappointing game ever.

seconded.-

jimbor

Banned
Shadow of Mordor probably followed by Infamous: SS.

Both started out merely okay but got pretty shitty, pretty fast.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I generally avoid buying and playing crap games, but I was not particularly impressed by Metrico which was one of this years PS+ offerings that I played on my Vita.

Haunted

Aside from shitting on popular AAA games (which these threads will always contain), people generally don't seem to be playing many bad games these days. I guess it's kinda understandable since the market offers enough quality titles to satisfy a player with medium appetite without really having to touch a shitty one, even if that means that this thread is actually filled with mediocre/competent titles, even some good games that were just hugely disappointing to some. Playing shit from time to time is a good reminder of what makes other games actually good.

Anyway, my personal choice would be Final Slam 2, an absolutely dreadful 2D fighter which I won in a giveaway here on GAF.

ss_c463a4f733286f82ecfb0d6d8187439d151a48bf.jpg

oy vey

spekkeh

Banned
Wii U menu.

This was a reference right? If so I got it.

ontopic: Infamous Second Yawn

Though I also bought a number of Humble Bundle games that I was kind of interested in and then never interested enough to fire them up, so it could've been something else, guess we'll never know.

I'd say Halo MCC, because it doesn't work, and it doesn't get any worse than that. At least Watch_Dogs and others were functional. I never played a full MP game of Halo before I shelved it and haven't gone back to it. Total waste of $60. Maybe it'll work the next time I feel like trying, but who knows when that'll be.

From a pure gameplay standpoint, I didn't really play anything this year that I thought was heinously bad. Destiny was the least enjoyable game I played, but I wouldn't call it a bad game.

Haunted

Wolfenstein? Last of Us? Man either some of you have really shitty taste or you play like 2-3 games a year.
srsly.

I'd question myself if I re-read my post and it would also perfectly fit a thread named "worst multi-million dollar AAA game of 2014" or "most disappointing of 2014". Though I suppose both are legit possibilities if I played very, very few games this year (then again, what's my opinion on the games of 2014 really worth if I barely played any).

That said, I generally assume the worst, so y'all need to gain some perspective and appreciate how good you have it by playing actual shit games from time to time. :D

Mogwai

Destiny

A bitter taste of indifference during gameplay (3-4 hrs)

Aftertaste of wasted money

Dishonorable mentions:
- AC Unity (technical issues)
- Shadow of Mordor (lame open world; shamelessly copy/pasted game mechanics)

Zoibie

7 Days to Die. I had a little fun playing it in coop with some friends but otherwise it's just a standard, does exactly what it says on the can, Minecraft-DayZ mashup. Playing it in an early access state doesn't help but even when all the features and mechanics are implemented I don't see enough in here to set it apart from the rest of those genre games.

Luigi87

Akiba's Trip: Undead and Undressed

It wasn't terrible mind you, but I didn't care for it come the end. The start of it was cool as I had literally visited Akihabara just a few weeks prior, so I could recognize all the locales, but once that wore thin, I grew very tired of the game and rushed to finish it.

The worst games for me this year have been....

1) Destiny... I found it too grindy and boring during the beta, I hoped they would fix it but I found it the same and gave up before level 10 which is a pity I was so looking forward to it,
2) Wolfenstein... just found it boring but not so bothered as I bought it cheap.
3) The Evil Within... my biggest disappointment of the year, clunky and boring nowhere near scary enough for me.

Dropped into a world with no immediate instructions, browsing menus and icons I don't really understand, trying your damnedest to build fires and survive and whatnot, only for it to be taken away by some bullshit twist of fate.

Just not fun in my opinion, especially in my finite amount of time I have for gaming.

Sounds like a good time to me.

My choice would be Destiny, and I only played the demo.

RK128

Wow, guess I didn't play much games this year to find one I really didn't like XD!

The 2014 games I got this year were:
-Dont Starve
-Velocity X2
-Bending of Issic Rebirth
-Smash Bros. 3DS
-Sword Art Online: Hallow Fragment
-SteamWorld Dig
-Liftarus (sorry if I miss-spelled that)
-Other Indie games that escape my mind

I also got other games (recently KH3D and a number of PSP/PS1 games on PSN), but they don't count.

If I had to pick one I liked the least....I guess Don't Starve? I mean, I love its art design, the open world it has and how threatening things can get if you are not careful. But, I only played it maybe twice and never went back to it :(. So....I guess that counts for this? I don't hate the game (far from it; it was enjoyable the little time I put into it :D) but I bearly played it....so maybe it didn't 'click' with me :l.

It really sucks so many big AAA games are falling flat on their face this year X(; Destiny, Watch Dogs, MCC, and many more just not working day one or disappointing everyone :(.

Maybe next year will be better for next-gen gaming :). Also, Nintendo killed it this year :D! Smash, Mario Kart 8, DKC: Tropical Freeze, and Hyrule Warriors really pushed the system into must-own status for many gamers (hell, it was the reason I got my 2DS; had to play Smash Bros. somehow XD!).

denshuu

This thread is about the worst game in 2014 that you played.

It is not about the worst game in 2014.

I am sure Sonic Boom is worse than Destiny. But I've never played Sonic Boom. I have played Destiny.

So my answer is Destiny.

old

Far Cry 3.

Worst game I played in years. Horrible design. Horrible execution. Like it was designed and developed by non-gamer interns. At a certain point my only motivation to keep playing was to see how much more terrible it could get.

Bound By Flame.

I don't even know what they were attempting with this game. Nothing is consistent except for how extremely underwhelming the game is, at every turn.

sobaka770

Banned
DOTA 2 when i have to play with 4 russians on my team.

Come on, we are not that bad!!!
apart from those ragequitting, non-English speaking, Western-Europe-server-choosing idiots.
(add me: sobaka770 to have 1 good Russian in a team :) )

I like how diverse the pool is. We have SoM and W_D well represented, some AC:U and even GTA5, although I'm glad to see Destiny getting all the shit it deserves.

This year kind of every game was the worst game for me...

I guess I should take a long break from gaming. All these sequels don't do anything for me anymore...

I have bought just a handful of 2014 released games so I would have to give the vote to Watch Dogs as it is the least good game from the ones I have bought.

srsly.

I'd question myself if I re-read my post and it would also perfectly fit a thread named "worst multi-million dollar AAA game of 2014" or "most disappointing of 2014". Though I suppose both are legit possibilities if I played very, very few games this year (then again, what's my opinion on the games of 2014 really worth if I barely played any).

That said, I generally assume the worst, so y'all need to gain some perspective and appreciate how good you have it by playing actual shit games from time to time. :D

I'd like to echo this sentiment; Shadows over Mordor, Bayonetta 2, COD:AW, etc. are all serviceable games at the minimum. People must equate the amount of hype a game has vs. their experience with it, they haven't played a lot of games this year, or they are being contrarian.

That said, the worst game I played was probably some free mobile game I can't remember the name of. Of the games I do remember, it's probably A Golden Wake. I really like Wadjet Eye games (The Blackwell series and Resonance are two of my favorite adventure games) so it was surprising how bad the story and characters were. The puzzles, compared to other Wedjet Eye games, were really simplistic and the salesman system, the only interesting thing in the game, was under used. Though I played a lot of games this year (especially indies)

Rvaisse

Destiny,
1/ because it bored me
2/ Way too much ads, that time and money to promote the game should have been spent on the game itself.

Mercenary Kings was pretty fucking abysmal. I tried it out thinking it would be like Metal Slug x Metroid but it was actually more like a load of shit x a blender.

Dead Rising 3 (PC) was fucking awful too. A bland, ugly game, with bland, ugly quests. Crap story, crap characters, and poor performance. Glad it only cost me 18 euro. Such a disappointment after DR1/2/OTR

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Worst game I paid for and played: Watch Dogs
Worst game I played: Secret Ponchos

8bit

Knows the Score
Probably watch_dogs. I dunno who thought unlikable prick adventures should be a genre but I don't like it.

Umm, I played the demos for Sonic Boom and Destiny, so I know they're both rubbish. Didn't really play many new games this year, Infamous got tedious as it went on though.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I finally got around to playing Castlevania Lords of Shadow this year, and it was dreadful. Total garbage.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i avoid bad games so this should be pretty tame compared to others, but i'd say the worst game i played all year was kinect sports rivals. the game itself is decent enough, with mildly fun events like jet ski racing and the the overused bowling. the worst part of the game, that took it from a mildly interesting thing i'd think about getting for parties and family to not getting at all, was how the progression and unlocking of events takes place. they actually FORCE you to go through each event in a painfully slow and tedious fashion. there is no way t just jump in and do what you want. particularly annoying if you want different sign ins with different characters.

N/A

I played AC3 and Walking Dead Survival Instinct and actually enjoyed them. I think I have a strong tolerance level for bad games.

Thief - terrible game, couldn't walk 5 feet without "Loading..."
This game is in my backlog, to be played soon. How often does that occur?

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2

I can't even recall the last time I was so disappointed in a game. It was just a mess.
I just ordered the first game on Amazon last night. Should I keep my expectations low? I watched the first few LP videos on youtube and seems 'not bad'

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
The Borderlands 2 and God of War ports for the Vita. Half-arsed rush jobs made to take advantage of the audience.

Haunted

This thread is about the worst game in 2014 that you played.

It is not about the worst game in 2014.

I am sure Sonic Boom is worse than Destiny. But I've never played Sonic Boom. I have played Destiny.

So my answer is Destiny.
What other 2014 games have you played?

This game is in my backlog, to be played soon. How often does that occur?
Every time you transition zones. Which is quite frequently, since the (not huge) main hub inbetween missions itself is split up into several smaller zones.

Really questionable technical design decision to do it this way. It's better on PC since the load times are more acceptable, but still. Destroys any sort of immersion since it prevents the city from feeling like a cohesive whole.

CaptainFatbeard

Neo Member
With the caveat that I generally don't have enough time to buy/play bad games, I'll say Don't Starve. I can understand why people like it, and it's an interesting game, but the combination of no direction, grinding, and roguelike is not for me.

Also disappointed to see the Evil Within posts. I haven't played it yet, but I picked it up on black friday.

Top Bottom