• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FBI statement on Sony hack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just released :

Today, the FBI would like to provide an update on the status of our investigation into the cyber attack targeting Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE). In late November, SPE confirmed that it was the victim of a cyber attack that destroyed systems and stole large quantities of personal and commercial data. A group calling itself the “Guardians of Peace” claimed responsibility for the attack and subsequently issued threats against SPE, its employees, and theaters that distribute its movies.

The FBI has determined that the intrusion into SPE’s network consisted of the deployment of destructive malware and the theft of proprietary information as well as employees’ personally identifiable information and confidential communications. The attacks also rendered thousands of SPE’s computers inoperable, forced SPE to take its entire computer network offline, and significantly disrupted the company’s business operations.

After discovering the intrusion into its network, SPE requested the FBI’s assistance. Since then, the FBI has been working closely with the company throughout the investigation. Sony has been a great partner in the investigation, and continues to work closely with the FBI. Sony reported this incident within hours, which is what the FBI hopes all companies will do when facing a cyber attack. Sony’s quick reporting facilitated the investigators’ ability to do their jobs, and ultimately to identify the source of these attacks.

As a result of our investigation, and in close collaboration with other U.S. government departments and agencies, the FBI now has enough information to conclude that the North Korean government is responsible for these actions.
While the need to protect sensitive sources and methods precludes us from sharing all of this information, our conclusion is based, in part, on the following:

Technical analysis of the data deletion malware used in this attack revealed links to other malware that the FBI knows North Korean actors previously developed. For example, there were similarities in specific lines of code, encryption algorithms, data deletion methods, and compromised networks.
The FBI also observed significant overlap between the infrastructure used in this attack and other malicious cyber activity the U.S. government has previously linked directly to North Korea. For example, the FBI discovered that several Internet protocol (IP) addresses associated with known North Korean infrastructure communicated with IP addresses that were hardcoded into the data deletion malware used in this attack.
Separately, the tools used in the SPE attack have similarities to a cyber attack in March of last year against South Korean banks and media outlets, which was carried out by North Korea.

We are deeply concerned about the destructive nature of this attack on a private sector entity and the ordinary citizens who worked there. Further, North Korea’s attack on SPE reaffirms that cyber threats pose one of the gravest national security dangers to the United States. Though the FBI has seen a wide variety and increasing number of cyber intrusions, the destructive nature of this attack, coupled with its coercive nature, sets it apart. North Korea’s actions were intended to inflict significant harm on a U.S. business and suppress the right of American citizens to express themselves. Such acts of intimidation fall outside the bounds of acceptable state behavior. The FBI takes seriously any attempt—whether through cyber-enabled means, threats of violence, or otherwise—to undermine the economic and social prosperity of our citizens.

The FBI stands ready to assist any U.S. company that is the victim of a destructive cyber attack or breach of confidential business information. Further, the FBI will continue to work closely with multiple departments and agencies as well as with domestic, foreign, and private sector partners who have played a critical role in our ability to trace this and other cyber threats to their source. Working together, the FBI will identify, pursue, and impose costs and consequences on individuals, groups, or nation states who use cyber means to threaten the United States or U.S. interests.

http://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/press-releases/update-on-sony-investigation

Renzoku

Banned
We're dicks! We're reckless, arrogant, stupid dicks. And Sony are pussies. And Kim Jong Un is an asshole. Pussies don't like dicks, because pussies get fucked by dicks. But dicks also fuck assholes: assholes that just want to shit on everything. Pussies may think they can deal with assholes their way. But the only thing that can fuck an asshole is a dick, with some balls. The problem with dicks is: they fuck too much or fuck when it isn't appropriate - and it takes a pussy to show them that. But sometimes, pussies can be so full of shit that they become assholes themselves... because pussies are an inch and half away from ass holes. I don't know much about this crazy, crazy world, but I do know this: If you don't let us fuck this asshole, we're going to have our dicks and pussies all covered in shit!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
We're dicks! We're reckless, arrogant, stupid dicks. And Sony are pussies. And Kim Jong Un is an asshole. Pussies don't like dicks, because pussies get fucked by dicks. But dicks also fuck assholes: assholes that just want to shit on everything. Pussies may think they can deal with assholes their way. But the only thing that can fuck an asshole is a dick, with some balls. The problem with dicks is: they fuck too much or fuck when it isn't appropriate - and it takes a pussy to show them that. But sometimes, pussies can be so full of shit that they become assholes themselves... because pussies are an inch and half away from ass holes. I don't know much about this crazy, crazy world, but I do know this: If you don't let us fuck this asshole, we're going to have our dicks and pussies all covered in shit!
I like this press release much better.

jmdajr

amen

edit: So when do we hack Korea back and have Kim's dick pics all over the net?

Zane

hmmmm yes

studyguy

ojsimpson_xlarge.jpe

Pretty much sums the thread up.

Paramount is going to make you edit this post.

Tacitus_

the FBI discovered that several Internet protocol (IP) addresses associated with known North Korean infrastructure communicated with IP addresses that were hardcoded into the data deletion malware used in this attack.

"Whoops"

I'm glad I watched Team America again on Netflix. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets taken off of Netflix the way things are going.

So basically there are no repercussions against North Korea for this.

Well the statement ends...

...FBI will identify, pursue, and impose costs and consequences on individuals, groups, or nation states who use cyber means to threaten the United States or U.S. interests.

But I don't really see what could possibly be done apart from lodging an angry complaint. I mean, it's North Korea, normal rules don't apply.

daveo42

Banned
Well if the pastebin pull back listed in this thread () is indeed real, then NK is really starting to think maybe hacking Sony wasn't such a good idea.

Kim Jong-un dic pics are coming bro! We'll show him!

Not worth showing if there's nothing to see.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Know we probably can't do this, but can't we just make the internet "not work" there. Just turn it off for them, or just give them Australia's internet speed.

Dreaver

so, North Korea has Sony by the balls...

I don't care about the movie itself, but it's a bad day for creative freedom.

I wonder (but doubt) that there will be done anything against North Korea.

Very interesting. I always assumed that most cyber attacks were government v government.
But this time it was government v corporation, and North Korea won.

Based on that precedent I see more attacks against US corporations from North Korea in the future. Now they know it works and legitimately disrupts business activity.

Tamanon

Banned
Know we probably can't do this, but can't we just make the internet "not work" there. Just turn it off for them, or just give them Australia's internet speed.

They use their own internet. I don't even think it's connected to the rest of the world for the vast majority of people.

giphy.gif

Beautiful.

Interfectum

w6zKwIO.gif

eQMl87x.gif

Abounder

Banned
Realities of cyber warfare is some scary and grim stuff; Sony got devastated and earlier in the year a network of US hospitals also got their data stolen.

What are they going to do? Economic sanctions?

Subsidize releasing The Interview, or leak it out

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

this, ladies and gentlemen, is why first posts are usually the only posts you need

winjet81

So what's the trouble with passing laws that equate state-sponsored cyber-attacks with state-sponsored terrorist attacks?

Very interesting. I always assumed that most cyber attacks were government v government.
But this time it was government v corporation, and North Korea won.

Based on that precedent I see more attacks against US corporations from North Korea in the future. Now they know it works and legitimately disrupts business activity.

It's not just North Korea. Basically this sets a precedent where ANY entity in the world can use cyber attacks to extort or manipulate private entities. The repercussions of this are being hugely understated and underestimated.

tumblr_inline_ml65msyaim1ruayu4.gif

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
It's not just North Korea. Basically this sets a precedent where ANY entity in the world can use cyber attacks to extort or manipulate private entities. The repercussions of this are being hugely understated and underestimated.

Pretty much this, this was only the beginning. Now any major studio is gonna be afraid of making or distributing any movie that is critical of governments, no major studio is gonna take that chance again when the repercussions can be so huge. It already has happened, just ask Steve Carell his North Korea-Based Thriller got canceled.

Not

Banned

Bwahaaaaa. I need to watch this again

"The interview may release now. But be careful. September 11 may happen again if you don't comply with the rules: Rule #1:ENDING SPOILER no death scene of Kim Jong Un being too happy; Rule #2: do not test us again ; Rule #3: if you make anything else, we will be here ready to fight."

So North Korea is directly threatening specific US citizens with a terrorist attack similar in scope to September 11th.

I guess we have arrived at the part where the US government steps in in a more major way.

Release the movie and tell Kim Jong Un that if we even suspect he's getting out of bed on Christmas morning that Santa will bring him a nuclear gift basket.

My understanding of how the internet works is very small, but is there a way to kinda shut off NK's access to our internet? Like, cut some wires or something?

LX_Theo

Banned
So are they going to do something about it? That statement just read like, "We'll think about it" on that front.

Not

Banned
Anyone else streaming the Obama press conference live? I'm actually hyped for this shit lol. 'MURKA

Pretty much this, this was only the beginning. Now any major studio is gonna be afraid of making or distributing any movie that is critical of governments, no major studio is gonna take that chance again when the repercussions can be so huge. It already has happened, just ask Steve Carell his North Korea-Based Thriller got canceled.

You're still thinking too narrow. Any industry can now be coerced via fear or fear tactics. The message sent from this is extremely frightening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom