• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest Hype

Looks so damn good, Day 1.
Y12HVN5d7dGjSTUa.jpg

W2lWU5EWMUlcgdgU.jpg

gU43T9hfPmVS23aZ.jpg

Xi9E46EB6m46WOkV.jpg

Wh9BH3OcLgh65c7m.jpg

UrbanRats

I'm happy it's coming on PC, so i can just get it on D1, without worrying about getting an XB1.

This game looks stunning, i wasn't this blown away from a 2d game since Muramasa, i think.

Is there any knowledge on when the announcement for the release date will be?

I would love some In Rainbows type stuff where they give it a release date next week. Sadly that's not how games work :(

Hey, I hope we'll get to have a say about that too! ;)

Actually, there's quite a lot of stuff that we cut from the game a year or two into development, simply cause it wouldn't have fit into what we were building. We wanted to keep Ori and the Blind Forest as tight as possible - You'll never really see any level where we're repeating challenges you already went through and even still, the game ended up being a 10+ hour thing.

But I do think that we could have a bit of a Mario Galaxy situation here, where we just prototyped so much stuff at the beginning and we might want to use some of the levels and things we created, but haven't used yet further down the road again.

There's also a gravity mechanic in the game that's unlike anything you've seen so far - I'd like to explore that further, too. We could've made a full game just out of that mechanic, to be honest. But hey, for now, let's make sure we're perfecting this title, so that we make you guys happy and hopefully end up with a financially successful game.

I'm not even all that worried about the critics and the 'hardcore' crowd, cause we've gotten so much positive response from everyone who played it thus far, but sales are something that's awfully hard to predict. I'll be biting my nails around the time of release and i hope you guys see how much value we picked into this game.

Will there be steam cards? I have to know. You already have my money, but that'll just sweeten the pot

Every time a thread for Ori is created I just have to post in it. Played and beat the demo at E3, the first 10 mins trailer brought me and my daughter to tears, the game is jaw-droppingly beautiful and the music touches my soul. Buying the game and OST on day one. Thank you for creating this game Moon Studios!

cheezcake

Every time a thread for Ori is created I just have to post in it. Played and beat the demo at E3, the first 10 mins trailer brought me and my daughter to tears, the game is jaw-droppingly beautiful and the music touches my soul. Buying the game and OST on day one. Thank you for creating this game Moon Studios!

God damn that trailer...
I need to go hug my dog again

Being released simultaneously on PC? Or after?

Same day and date as on Xbox One, yes. Only 360 is time-offset and will be released a bit later.

Nah, man, thank you :) It's so cool to see how strongly people already connected to Ori - we get tons of fanart and people making their own Ori controllers and Xbox Ones, etc - it's nuts. I hope we'll make all of you happy with Ori :)

waveking

Banned
Really looking forward to Ori! Do we know the price it is going to retail for? Not that it makes any difference. Day 1 game if there ever was one :)

This game is coming out to PC? lol. People gloat about Xbone having more exclusives than PS4 but all of their games are being ported to PC.

Wow wow wow this game's soundtrack is orchestrated??

Ok....I'm now officially HYPED! I was already really excited but this takes it to the next level for me! So cool you guys got to go the extra mile with the soundtrack. : )

Yeah. It cost us a all a shit ton and we all have quite a bit of debt now... but it's all about quality, quality, quality. And it's amazing when you get to these story sections in the game and you hear the orchestra performing. It just hits you in a beautiful way :)

bede-x

This is such a beautiful game. Is it level based or Metroidvania style? Don't wanna see too much from it, since it's an automatic purchase, but a release date would be nice :)

EDIT: Can see op states Metroid like. Perfect!

fedexpeon

Banned
I am not feeling the gameplay.
It is like a mobile game, like touch-based angle rotation mechanic in my eyes.

The pause mechanic makes it too easy. You should determine the angle in real time for skill-based timing+aiming gameplay.

Caayn

I'm really interested in this title, the reveal trailer grabbed me and hasn't let me go. Can't wait to get my hands on it. Shame that there's no physical release day one but if there's ever one I'll probably double dib on it.

Watch 9:00+ part.
No tension since you can pause, plan, and aim your ability for the most efficient path.
If there is no pause, you have to plan as you are moving, and track your angle as fast as possible.

Show me a single mobile game that has that level of precision platforming.

No tension since you can pause, plan, and aim your ability for the most efficient path.
If there is no pause, you have to plan as you are moving, and track your angle as fast as possible.

You actually don't have an unlimited amount of time when you use Bash - You have a bit of time to aim into a direction, but then you either release the button or it automatically goes off.

And yeah, I don't think it's fair to compare it to a mobile game. You have abilities on basically every single button of the Xbox Controller... it'd be quite a challenge to make this kinda gameplay work on a touch device, to be honest.

Moozo

What are the differences between the 360 version and the others?

It's a nice surprise that there is a 360 version either way as this is the first I've heard of one. I love the look of this game.

fedexpeon

Banned
Show me a single mobile game that has that level of precision platforming.

I am talking about the aiming and rotation mechanic and gameplay.
Nothing about platforming at all.

You actually don't have an unlimited amount of time when you use Bash - You have a bit of time to aim into a direction, but then you either release the button or it automatically goes off.

And yeah, I don't think it's fair to compare it to a mobile game. You have abilities on basically every single button of the Xbox Controller... it'd be quite a challenge to make this kinda gameplay work on a touch device, to be honest.

1-2 sec, I could map and pre-aim to the next light already when watching that video. You can plan even more since you have to take in consideration of the blinking animation frame and time. Maybe it was the introduction stage like the video said, but with trial and error, you can memorize the location with that short delay easily.

Touch based would be even easier since I don't need to use the control stick for precise aiming and wasting time in adjusting for angle.
I can just touch and draw out multiple lines ahead of time where I want to go.

What are the differences between the 360 version and the others?

We're still optimizing on 360, but there shouldn't be any differences apart from X1 / PC running at 1080p and the 360 version running at 720p. All versions run at 60fps. Need that for buttery smooth platforming :)

bede-x

Without the pause function how many people would be frustrated and give up on the game, because everything was happening too fast for them to keep up? The challenge looks to be more navigation based in that particular area, rather than reflex/timing based, which isn't a flaw in and of itself.

Without the pause function how many people would be frustrated and give up on the game, because everything was happening too fast for them to keep up? The challenge looks to be more navigation based in that particular area, rather than reflex/timing based, which isn't a flaw in and of itself.

Well, the important thing for us in tems of the ability design was that every ability perfeclty complements the other abilities.

Remember when in the Metroid games the CPU took over and Samus jumped around in this perfect way? We wanted for people to feel that way when they play. So you'll be able to Bash an enemy projectile to gain some air, use your double jump to jump closer to another enemy, bash the enemy to fly even higher, then glide to the next enemy, etc. etc. - There's a certain point in the game, after you gained the first 3-4 abilities where you'll just fly through the air and defeat enemies without even touching the ground inbetween. That super fluid, pixel-precise gameplay is something that's just really goddamn fun :)

Yeah. It cost us a all a shit ton and we all have quite a bit of debt now... but it's all about quality, quality, quality. And it's amazing when you get to these story sections in the game and you hear the orchestra performing. It just hits you in a beautiful way :)

Dang. I really hope the game does well for you guys.

Seems like every bit of news I hear about Ori is how you guys go out of your way to not cut corners which is really refreshing. Can't wait to finally play it.

fedexpeon

Banned

A lot of people would quit without the pause function tbh.
I can still see the fun factor of maximizing your abilities to blink non-stop, and achieving your goal with the minimal effort.
Will there be a stage result page that tells you how fast you finished the level?
This would be the key element to make this game even better, knowing that you can always improve.

Just watching the video, the only problem is that there is no tension in the game.
It is just an efficient routing and best possible movement/decision choices gameplay.

Top Bottom