• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 Games - 1 Year Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

eot

Banned
Game 50: Hexcells - 2 hours, Dec 22nd
A deduction based puzzle game. I'm not as crazy about it as RPS was last year. It feels a bit too much like solving a Sudoku, but then people never seem to get enough of those. I think I prefer puzzle games that make you explore some spatial mechanic, like say The Swapper. Of course solving puzzles in those games is also about deductive reasoning, but not as explicitly as here. There's not much room for "aha" moments. As a framework for spitting out endless amounts of puzzles, like Sudoku, it's all right, but it's something to occupy yourself with rather than something enriching.

Weiss

Banned
Game 64: Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon - 12 hours

One of the best 3rd party games on the system. It's plagued with the usual problems of N64 platformers, like a clunky, unhelpful camera, but it's dripping with atmosphere not seen on the console outside of Mario and Zelda, and it's bizarre, fantastical, anachronistic Japan is a wonder to explore.

Hikami

Joined GAF too late to take part in this but, this thread always interested me.
Will participate next year for sure though.

Labadal

1. Septerra Core - PC
A jrpg developed by a western dev team is the way I would describe it. Combat is very slow but environments are good enough. Story was decent.

2. God of War II - PS2
Solid action game with some great vistas and decent combat system. Boss fights were fun.

3. Metroid Fusion - GBA/3DS
Got this for buying a 3DS early and decided it was finally time to play and beat this.

4. Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshis Island - GBA/3DS
This was also sn "Ambassador" game. It might look cute but I didn't care much for this game.

5. Waking Mars - PC
Atmosperic puzzle platformer. It was decent, I guess but I don't feel like it is a must play game.

6: Thief: The Dark Project - PC
The second best stealth game in first person view.

7. Thief II: Metal Age -PC
The best stealth game in first person view.

8. Mars: War Logs - Xbox 360
I will call this Mass Effect with a much smaller budget. It doesn't play exactly the same, but it is the closest comparison I can give.

9. Summoner 2 - PS2
This game is hated on GAF, but besides some camera issues, I like the game. Interesting setting and I had fun with it.

10. The Banner Saga - PC x2
I Kickstarted this turn based strategy gameand I am happy that I did. Has some choose your own adventure parts that affects who lives and dies. Gloomy as all hell and an excellent soundtrack.

11. South Park: The Stick of Truth - PC x2
A Paper Mario clone in the South Park Universe. A solid game, with funny humor (depending on your taste).

12. Bravely Default: Flying Fairy - 3DS
A Final Fantasy game in everything but name. I really liked this game despite some "issues". The systems and combat in the game are great and very fun to experiment with. This games does streamlining in the best way possible.

13. Bioshock Infinite - PS3
I don't usually play first person shooters but I did enjoy this one. Environments were cool and the music was solid. Also good voice acting. The story was a bit of a mess but I didn't hate it.

14. Shadowrun: Dragonfall - PC
The second campaign from HBS and it improved upon Dead Man's Switch in almost every way. The turn-based combat was a bit simple but I did enjoy it.

15. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - PS3
Didn't care much from a gameplay perspective, and while I felt that the ending was a bit predictable, I enjoyed the game's "narrative".

16. Puzzle Agent - PC
Decent puzzle adventure game that didn't take too long to finish.

17. New Little King's Story - PSV
Reminded me of the Pikmin games in the way it plays. Wasn't sold on the artstyle as the game looks better on the Wii. Still a decent game that I played when I just wanted to play a relaxing game.

18. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - PC
I ignored the main story for more than 40 hours just doing side quests and wandering around, exploring dungeons. As an exploration game, I like it, but as an rpg, not so much. The game is streamlined in all the ways I dislike and combat is still not great in this series.

19. Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time - PS3
Good old fashioned 3D platformer. I really enjoyed it. My second favorite game in the series after Sly 1. The ancestors had varied enough moves to keep the game fun and I didn't hate the mini-games as much as I did in the other games.

20. Mutant Blobs Attack - PSV
Side scrolling puzzle game that I played when I felt for a relaxing game.

21. Spec Ops: The Line PC
I played this because I had heard that the game had a solid story, and I guess the story is okay. Gameplay was decent but nothing that blows the mind. Some cool environments and vistas, though.

22. Gunpoint - PC
Short but sweet. The game was really fun and I can't say that I have played man games like it. Trying to be as sneaky as possible was a lot of fun.

23. Bastion - PC
I thought that there was a chance that the narrator would drive me crazy when I started the game, but the way he tells the story is well done. Add a nice soundtrack and cool looking environments with a fairly fun game, and you might end up liking this game a lot.

24. Rayman Legends - PS3
Completed this in 4 player local co-op and had a blast. This and Origins was the cause for a lot of swearing and laughing.

25. Battleblock Theater - PC
This game was a lot of fun. The narrator was so silly that I couldn't dislike him. Fun plaforming even if some parts made me want to rip my chest hair off. I couldn't play this in co-op, which is a shame but it was still a solid game.

26. Lego: Lord of the Rings - PSV
I was disappointed when I played this and realized that this would not be like the console game.

27. Divinity: Original Sin - PC
My personal GOTY. The story wasn't great and the rps system they had for winning dialogue duels was very bad, but I really enjoyed everything else.

28. Tales of Xillia - PS3
I did enjoy the game but I would still rate it lower than Tales of Graces f and Vesperia. The fields and dungeons were very boring, plus the combat system and the systems involving character skill development were inferior to both TOG and ToV. Some decent character and some good tracks, plus the towns looked good.

29. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together - PSP
This and Final Fantasy Tactics are my favorite trpgs. That Matsuno and his team are behind both games is no coincidence.

30. Fortix - PC
I can't even explain what this game is about. All I know is that it was very short.

31. Chrystals of Time - PC
Not a very good game at all but I thought that I might as well beat it to shrink my backlog. Basically a hidden-object game.

32. Muramasa: Rebirth - PSV
A beautiful sidescrolling action rpg that takes repetition to a whole new level. I somehow still enjoyed it. Game looks and sounds great.

33. The Bureau: XCOM Declassified - PC
Not a perfect game by any stretch but I did like it. The combat is basically copy/pasted from Mass Effect and the mission design is straight from Mass Effect 2.

34. Grand Theft Auto: The Ballad of Gay Tony - PC
I enjoyed this more than the base game. Not having to redo missions from the beginning helped a lot to making me feel this way.

35. Fallout: New Vegas - Old World Blues - PC
I don'y know if this one counts as it is a DLC campaign, but it did take me longer to beat this than some of the other games I have listed. A bit too much comedy, I guess. At the same time, I got to play more Fallout: New Vegas.

36. Binary Domain - PC
Fun third person shooter with some cool effects when you shoot enemies. Over the top action with some really cool boss fights.

37. Thief: Deadly Shadows - PC
I played the other two so why not beat this one too? Not as good as the first two, but better than any other stealth 3D game, I guess.

38. Deus Ex - PC
Having completed the Thief series, I thought that I would get back to this and do a non-lethal playthrough.

39. Monaco: What's Yours is Mine - PC
I played this mostly solo, but this game should really be played with friends. Some of the late game missions drove me insane while playing on my own.

40. Chronicles of Mystery - PC
Adventure game. I think this one was a hidden-object game but I don't even remember. Bland and boring.

41. Gungnir - PSP
I had a lot of fun with this game until the third last chapters. I ended up cheesing my way through with long ranged characters and the main character. Really nice graphics and solid music. The story wasn't anything mindblowing, but still decent.

42. Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - PS3
I've got to say that I liked this as much, if not more than Skyrim. Just like Skyrim, I didn't care much about the main story. I did every quest I found but still missed a lot, I think. The game was a bit on the easy side because I took the crafting skills and made equipment that made every item drop obsolete. Combat was still fun and the completionist in me didn't leave any quest unfinished.

43. Blackguards - PC
Turn-based game based in the Dakr Eye Universe and it uses said ruleset. You move around the map the same way you do in Final Fantasy Tactics. My first time through, I had to restart because a bug stopped me from getting healed by a doctor and there was no way out of the dungeon. I had to replay the game, and once I did, I had also learned enough about how to develop my characters. The game was so much more fun when I actually knew what I was doing in that egard.

44. Stick it to the Man - PS4
Adventure game that uses stickers as the main way to advance the game. It was a fairly decent game but nothing I would have bought or played. Got it via PS+ and it's the only reason I played it.

45. Costume Quest 2 - PC
Shorter than the first game, but it is better for it. Beeter paced and less filler. A fun yet simple rpg one could play with their kid, or like me, alone just for the feeling of bing a bit "kiddy".

46. inFAMOUS: Second Son - PS4
My first physical PS4 game. I enjoyed it less than the first game but more than the second game. It had some great visual effects, although the town was very boring.

47. Pixel Puzzles: Japan - PC
I was in the mood for a good old puzzle game so I bought this on a whim and completed it in 2 or 3 days.

48. Lego Harry Potter: Years 5-7 - PSV
PS+ game that I finished.

49. Lego Batman 2 - PSV
PS+ game that I finished.

50. Divine Divinity - PC
I had never beaten the game before. I decided it was time to remedy that, so I rolled a fighter and bashed my way to victory.

51. Age of Wonders - PC
I wanted something like the King's Bount games, but not a complete carbon copy, so i tried this one out and enjoyed it.

52. Kingdom Rush - PC
Tower Defense game. I'm not a fan in general, but I thought that I might as well try to finish a game in the genre.

53. Age of Wonders 2 - PC
I liked the first enough to give the sequel a shot. I did enjoy it, but it's not as good as the first as it felt a bit more limited.

54. Scribblenauts: Unlimited - PC
Write words to create stuff and get stars. Got all of them.

55. PlayStation Allstars: Battle Royale - PSV
Completed the game once with Cole from inFAMOUS. I don't think much of it, but I guesx it could be a decent game to play with friends.

56. The 39 Steps - PC
Decent western visual novel. This is actually the first visual novel that I play.

57. Pool Nation - PC
I beat the 8 and 9 ball cups. It's a fun game, but I think I burned myself out. I played it for about 8 hours in two days.

58. VVVVVV - PC
I completed this some year ago, but decided to replay it this year.

59. Rayman Origins - PSV
I completed this some year ago on PS3, but decided to replay it this year.

60. Castle Crashers - PC
I completed this several year ago on Xbox 360, but decided to replay it this year on PC.

3DS - 3
PC - 36
PS2 - 2
PS3 - 6
PS4 - 2
PSP - 2
PSV - 8
Xbox 360 - 1

eot

Banned
Game 51: Shatter - 2.5 hours, Dec 23rd
I think this was a little bloated mechanically, it loses what's fun about Breakout. I also had some annoying audio bugs where a sound effect would loop over and over, even between stages. Aside from that it's quite polished though, and it's got a nice presentation. I just wasn't particularly into push/pull mechanic.

Game 52: Bernband - 30 min, Dec 24th
Even as someone who generally doesn't like walking sims I found this game enjoyable. It does a surprisingly good job at creating a city that feels like a city, more so than almost any other game I can think of. The low resolution (looks like it's 240p, at most) is almost a little too much at times, I had to sit further back from my screen to not get eye strain, but there's still something to the look of this thing. It plays around with lighting to great effect, and that's really what makes the look of the game. I wouldn't want a full game with this aesthetic, but I think there are things other games could learn here. It manages to be very evocative despite being so simple.

So I guess that's 52 games. I had to pick a lot of short ones to get it done, so it's not as impressive as a lot of these other lists. But hey, it's still made a dent in my backlog. Not sure if I'll try to do it again next year. While it did make me play games I wouldn't have gotten to otherwise, it also made me finish some games that I wasn't enjoying. I'm also running out of short games haha!
Post #1
Post #2

MRORANGE

Another two!

0HhVttV.png
Aarglefarg: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=140166874&postcount=1943

sIpFTiO.png
eot: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=95877748&postcount=317

Please remember to send a PM once you have completed so I can add you to the hall of fame.

I wonder how many will make the time limit for this year...
t1420099200z4.png

Axass

So close!!! Only four games left with Guacamelee 2/3 finished and Pullblox only two maddening puzzles away from being completed.

Game 46: Shadowrun Returns - 7,5/10 - 23:48 hours
Completed the Dead Man's Switch campaign with a rifle-wielding Shaman with max charisma, many points in Will and spellcasting. Never played the original, so the cyberpunk+magic setting was fresh to me, however I feel the developers didn't really flesh out the setting enough. The leveling system is a little perplexing at first, it took me a while to understand how to use conjuring for example: you have to put points in three different lines AND buy the various magics from a spellshop, which is also the only place where you can equip them, at least for a good part of the game. The plot is good, but too straightforward, the characters are nice, but they feel underdeveloped: you never feel like the game really offers you a choice, every choice brings you to the same place with few variations, there are no branching paths, no morality system, no exploration outside the game's constant guidelines. In the end, also due to the many little bugs, it feels like an unpolished project.

Game 47: Rocket Knight Adventures - 7/10 - around 5 hours
The game holds up quite well the test of time, great graphics and quick gameplay. It's a solid action platformer, with a great world and lots of variety, that doesn't hold any punches, in fact I was only able to end the game at *cough*Children*cough* difficulty. The game relies a little too much on pattern memorization, especially for some bosses, who are heartless and give you no other option than a narrow predetermined path.

Game 48: Super Mario 3D World - 9/10
Done everything but completing all levels with all characters. Great 3D Mario game, full of charm, surprises and multiplayer fun; the graphics are amazing, especially the artstyle employed by EAD, and let's not talk about that lighting. The amount of stuff and diversity contained in the game is mindblowing, especially the "post-game" worlds. It's clear the game has been created with multiplayer in mind, that shows in the way the camera works, which is one of my major gripes with the game, since it makes precision jumping quite difficult; it shows in the level design as well, which is somewhat off at times when playing alone. The run button is a big no-no in a 3D Mario, especially implemented like in this game, the watered down jump mechanics (no triple jump) are also puzzling. Champion Road is not so hard, amateurs. ;)

maxcriden

So close!!! Only four games left with Guacamelee 2/3 finished and Pullblox only two maddening puzzles away from being completed.

Game 47: Rocket Knight Adventures - 7/10 - around 5 hours
The game holds up quite well the test of time, great graphics and quick gameplay. It's a solid action platformer, with a great world and lots of variety, that doesn't hold any punches, in fact I was only able to end the game at *cough*Children*cough* difficulty. The game relies a little too much on pattern memorization, especially for some bosses, who are heartless and give you no other option than a narrow predetermined path.

I really wanna play this game. It's only on Genesis, right? Need to pick one up. Retron 5 is supposed to morally questionable for some reason, yes?

I can't beat Champion's Road yet, BTW. Only tried as Luigi since we played through the game as him almost entirely. No power-ups in trying so far, ofc.

Axass

I really wanna play this game. It's only on Genesis, right? Need to pick one up. Retron 5 is supposed to morally questionable for some reason, yes?

I can't beat Champion's Road yet, BTW. Only tried as Luigi since we played through the game as him almost entirely. No power-ups in trying so far, ofc.

Genesis only, or how we call it here "Mega Drive"; I don't think it was ever released on the VC. Dunno about Retron 5 but you can find a Genesis online for about 50 bucks I think, the game goes from 5 to 30 according to the condition it's in.

I initially beat Champion Road with Peach (no power ups), she's my favourite character ever since SMB2; the hover ability makes things easier obviously, especially in the part with the blinking blocks.

Weiss

Banned
Game 65: Goemon's Great Adventure - 12 hours

It's pretty great. Nice style, the soundtrack is awesome, it's brimming with personality like the other Goemon game, and while I like the previous one more with its emphasis on exploration and searching for secrets, this is probably a better game. I especially liked how you could take on sidequests in towns and find hidden paths and exits through the levels.

Having said that:

What kind of brainless amoeboid thought it was a good idea to make a final level consisting of the most difficult parts of all the Boss levels thrown together, with enemies popping out left and right and the entire level being nothing but bottomless pits that even the slightest attack can knock you into? Why is there a bossfight against a giant robot that has an instant death move that comes right the hell out of nowhere, where your other robot sidekick is dancing around like a jackass as you try to switch over to it to dodge getting 1HKO'd, and once that fails, why the hell can I gather a crapton of lives but then have to redo the entire level, redo a section with a giant bastard in the background who can clobber you before you even have time to react, sending you into ANOTHER instant death lake, just so I can have the honour of dealing with that bullcrap again, and why, after all that, was the final boss such a complete joke? I didn't even die once to that chump.

On a sidenote, DevilDeathGod is probably the most hardcore name for a boss ever.

Axass

Unfortunately I missed this thread but I'll wait for the 2015 version!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=958801&page=2

It's already up, claim your spot* before it's too late!

The spots are not limited.

BTW only two left!

Game 49: Ittle Dew - 7,5/10 - 2:57 hours
Completed the game with sword and teleport rod only, using a huge shortcut, then went back to get th last item (ice wand), still have to get all the treasures and secrets. What Zelda would be if stripped away of his story, NPCs and exploration: dungeon after dungeon after dungeon; even the rare patches of overworld are littered with caves that are basically one room dungeons. The game, being a simple Zelda clone, managed to impress me: the puzzles are much harder than the usual Zelda stuff and really force you to think out of the box, especially those that grant access to the shortcuts. That's the best part of the game: you can really choose your own route, forgoing items and entire dungeons to reach the end quicker by taking a harder path. That's where the game shines (incredible artstyle and animation aside), there's an actual achievement to finish the game in under 15 minutes; the game could take around 3 hours if you take your time, more to get every collectible, but the great thing is to replay it and experiment with the shortcuts.

Game 50: Guacamelee! Gold Edition [with gf] - 8/10 - around 10 hours
We've beaten Calaca at normal difficulty, and found 70% of the stuff the game has to offer (we'll surely be back for the rest). Amazing artstyle and flair, catchy music, challenging platforming, great combat, full of secret rooms: it's a nice beat 'em up with metroidvania vibes, even though the exploration is not as complex as the masterpieces of the genre. The story is nice but nothing to write home about, in fact the cutscenes are oft too long and you just wish you could smash something instead. The enemies aren't too varied and the game's not that long, however you never bore: the power ups are all great to use and all add something cool to the combat and exploration, none of them feel as an afterthought, the combat itself never tires and is well balanced with the exploration and platforming.

Weiss

Banned
Game 66: Final Fantasy 6 - 45 hours

So about a week ago I nudged my SNES while resetting it, which apparently deleted all my saves. Today I went to restart from scratch only to find my endgame save file completely intact. I've spent the last ten hours clearing this game out, and I can say pretty easily that even if I had to play it all over again to reach that final, fantastic conclusion, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

FF6 is about as close to RPG perfection as it gets. It has one of the greatest soundtracks in the history of the franchise, a fantastic story filled with loveable characters, each of them feeling uniquely characterized with their personality quirk and standing out in a way that a ton of SNES RPGs, let alone most games in the entire genre to this day, fail to do. The biggest credit to the story, though, is how it takes a really simple narrative, never really going past "save the world from Kefka", but with everything told in a grandiose, operatic fashion, with dozens of scenes devoted to characterization and an entire endgame solely about getting your party back together and helping them find their meaning for being alive. That scene near the beginning of the WoR, where
Cid dies, and Celes is so overtaken with grief that she tries to kill herself,before fining Locke's bandana and realizing that she does have a reason to live
is one of the most powerful scenes in the history of the franchise.

I really do have nothing but praise for this game, and it's rocketed onto my all time favourites list. If this is the last game I beat this year, then I ended it on something spectacular.

Yes! I think I did it, played 52 games this year. A miracle I didn't expect to achieve, heh. Right before Year's End! All PC games, one from Origin (Titanfall), rest from Steam.

52 - Doorways: The Underworld - 3 hours - 100%
51 - Doorways: Chapter 1 & 2 - 3 hours - 100%
50 - To The Moon - 5 hours - 100%
49 - Beat Hazard + Shadow Ops DLC - 10 hours - 100%
48 - Cherry Tree High I! My! Girls! - 2 hours - Cleared all chapters, including extras.
47 - Shan Gui - 85 minutes - 100%
46 - Strata - 13 hours - 100%
45 - Murdered: Soul Suspect - 13 hours - 100%
44 - Dark Souls 2 + all DLC - 120 hours - 100%
43 - Sakura Spirit - 8 hours - Cleared
42 - Syder Arcade - 5 hours - 100%
41 - L.A. Noire - 43 hours - 100%
40 - Bardbarian - 15 hours - 100%
39 - Pixel Puzzles Japan - 19 hours - 100%
38 - Sleeping Dogs - 42 hours - 100%
37 - Aeon Command - 12 hours - 100%
36 - Oknytt - 4 hours - 100%
35 - LYNE - 21 hours - 100%
34 - Brothers: A tale of two sons - 3 hours 100%
33 - Fester Mudd: Curse of the Gold - 2 hours - 100%
32 - Pac-Man Championship Edition - 4 hours - 100%
31 - Blackwell Convergence - 5 hours - 100%
30 - AVSEQ - 7 hours - 100%
29: Strike Suit Zero Director's Cut - 7 hours - 100%
28: The Swapper - 4 hours - 100%
27: Beast Boxing Turbo - 2 hours - 100%
26: Ballpoint Universe - 8 hours - 100%
25: The Blackwell Legacy - 3 hours 100%
24: The Walking Dead + 400 Days DLC - 14 hours - 100%
23: The Testament of Sherlock Holmes - 11 hours - 100%
22: Viscera Cleanup Detail: Santa's Rampage - 4 hours - 100%
21: Dysfunctional Systems: Learning to Manage Chaos - 3 hours - 100%
20: Viscera Cleanup Detail: Shadow Warrior - 2 hours - 100%
19: Shadow Warrior - 22 hours - Cleared the game on insane.
18: Danmaku Unlimited - 5 hours - 1cc'd the game in Easy/Normal/Hard/beat the True Last Boss
17: Crimzon Clover: World Ignition - 11 hours - 1cc'd the game in all the Novice difficulties.
16: One Finger Death Punch - 11 hours - Cleared the final battle of the Student difficulty.
15: GIGANTIC ARMY - 3 hours - 1cc'd in Normal difficulty
14: Ikaruga - 6 hours - 1cc'd on Easy Modo
13: Pixel Puzzles UndeadZ - 13 hours - Beat all puzzles, only that horrid main menu mini game left.
12: Final Fantasy XIII - 43 hours - Stopped at the boss that ends Chapter 11. Gathering strength to go on...
11. Revolver360 RE:ACTOR - 3 hours - 1cc'd the game
10. Titanfall - 62 hours - Reached generation 3 and stopped playing. (Need to go back!)
9. Sentinel 3: Homeworld - 18 hours - Cleared the main campaign.
8. A.R.E.S. Extinction Agenda EX - 3 hours - Cleared Ares story campaign
7. Finding Teddy - 3 hours - 100%
6. Transformers Fall of Cybertron - 9 hours - Cleared the campaign
5. METAL GEAR RISING REVENGEANCE - 23 hours - Cleared the game+DLC. (Nanomachines, son!)
4. Season Mystery The Cherry Blossom Murders - 7 hours - Cleared the game, can't get one last glitchy achievement so it's a 100% for me.
3. Kraven Manor - 65 minutes - Cleared the main story line.
2. Croixleur Sigma - 5 hours - Cleared the main story, survival and reached some endless goals. Missing the extras and challenges.
1. Valkyria Chronicles - 31 hours - About to beat the campaign but I'm powering up my waifu squad.

I may edit this to add more commentary to the games but I fear I'll reach the post limit.

Finally did it!!!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=128049278&postcount=1650 (Games 1-24)

Game 25: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes (PS4): Most expensive demo ever, but also one of the best demos ever, can´t wait for TPP.

Game 26: Stick it to the Man (PS4): Cute game, some fun puzzles coupled with a unique artstyle, gotta thank PS+ for that one.

Game 27: Infamous Second Son (PS4): The most impressive sandbox in terms of graphics, ever, also has the best powers in the whole series. Shame the game is so lacking in content.

Game 28: TWD S2 E3: In Harm´s Way (PS3): A really strong episode, now I feel this season is finally picking up.

Game 29: Watch Dogs (PS4): Had a great time while it lasted, despite the weak story and repetitive gameplay.

Game 30: TWAU Episode 3: A Crooked Mile (PS3): I´m lovind this series, the new direction the plot is taking is really good.

Game 31: Outlast DLC: The Whistleblower (PS4): Loved (and hated, lol) every second of it, a fantastic addition to the original game. Looking forward now for Red Barrels´s next project.

Game 32: Octodad Dadliest Catch (PS4): Who knew a game with such horrible controls could be this funny?, too bad the is game is really short and doesn´t have almost any replay value.

Game 33: Pixeljunk Shooter Ultimate (PS4): One of the hidden gems of the PS3 now improved on PS4, except for the soundtrack which was completely butchered due to some incomprehensible audio mixing issues, but the game is still good though.

Game 34: TWAU Episode 4: In Sheep´s Clothing (PS3): One of the most badass cliffhangers in history, can´t wait for the final chapter.

Game 35: Transistor (PS4): One of my personal favorites of 2014. A lovely story blended perfectly with magnificent artstyle and gameplay. Play this if you haven´t.

Game 36: Lone Survivor: The Director´s Cut (PS Vita): Thanks again to PS+ for this little wonder. This is one of the greatest indie games out there and one of the best horror games on it´s own.

Game 37: TWD S2 E4: Amid the Ruins (PS3): Yup, everything is going to shit again, but I need the final chapter so bad.

Game 38: The Last of Us Remastered (PS4): The game of the last generation now in 1080p/60fps. This time I also played with my new Sony Pulse Elite headset plus the TLOU sound preset.... ah, it´s gaming heaven man. Got re-addicted to the multiplayer too.

Game 39: Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS3): The game that competes with TLOU for the title of my most beloved game ever. This was just a cleanup-run for getting the platinum, but I had a blast, yet again.

Game 40: Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea Episode 2 (PS3): Finally got around to playing this. Shame that Irrational is gone because we´ll probably never see a game with kind of magic again. Loved the story and new gameplay mechanics.

Game 41: Proteus (PS3): I don´t even now what to say about this "game", finished it in less than an hour, and never came back to it.

Game 42: Destiny (PS4): This game man... it was supposed to be so much more, still gave me some really good times and the shooting mechanics are excellent, everything else (except for the amazing soundtrack) not so much.

Game 43: TWD S2 E5: No Going Back (PS3): Even if this season wasn´t as good as the first one, the ending was pretty damm powerful and left me really happy.

Game 44: Trine 2: Completa Story (PS4): This game is every bit as beautiful a I remembered it. And the extra levels where also gorgeous and entertaining to play through.

Game 45: TWAU Episode 5: Cry Wolf (PS3): A solid and satisfying ending, even if is just a blatant sequel bait. Definetely awaiting for a season 2.

Game 46: Batman Arkham Origins (PS3): After the two masterpieces that where AA and AC, this just felt really flat for moments, but still is a decent game. Troy Baker absolutely killed it as the Joker.

Game 47: Dust: An Elysian Tale (PS4): Once again, thanks PS+, I wasn´t digging the artstyle at first, but once I got past that I discovered a great Metroidvania game, with quite an interesting story.

Game 48: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PS4): I just felt I needed to give CoD another chance with the new gen, but I was wrong, the only redeeming factor of the campaign was Kevin Spacey´s performance, and MP is just another laggy/unbalanced mess. Traded it in less than a week.

Game 49: Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (PS3): Congrats to Sanzaru for this, they really managed to stick close to the essence of the originals, while adding some new cool elements. Framerate during certain parts could have used some more work.

Game 50: Escape Plan (PS4): Finished it almost in one sitting, really neat puzzle solving that made some good use of the Dualshock 4 capabilities.

Game 51: Steamworld Dig (PS4): Exploring caves and digging for minerals is actually pretty relaxing, a fun, cute, little game that doesn´t overstays it´s welcome.

Game 52: Valiant Hearts: The Great War (PS4): Absolutely beautiful game in every sense, not saying that much for not spoiling the experience.

And that´s it. 2014 was indeed a disappointing year as far as new releases go. But I managed to compensate by playng a lot of other grat titles. Had a lot fun playing through the challenge. My hopes are high for 2015 :)

Rubius

[10 games to do in 3 days. Gotta play fast!]
Game 44 : Ducktales Remastered - 3 hours
A really easy platformer with kinda clunky controls and over cinematic story. Never played the original, but this one is not that good. 2.5/5

Game 45 : Pac-Man Championship Edition DX - 2 hours - 12/28/14
Pac Man on Acid while in a rave party. Awesome version of the classic game that make you feel like you are going 200 on the highway. Done all the maps in 5 min in expert. 4.5/5

Game 46 : The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing - 13 hours - 12/28/14
A surprisingly good Diablo type of game, more in the line of Titan Quest. The setting is good and the combat feel good too. The rage mechanic is kinda meh but the game is good and the whole game is voice acted from beginning to end. Will try the sequel for sure! 4/5

Game 47 : Commander Keen Episode 1 - 1 hour 20 minute - 12/29/14
For all the time I played the game, I think it's the first time I finished it. Great game for it's time and the first PC platformer with scrollable background. Really short and pretty annoying in some parts, but the save function really make it easier to play. 2/5

Game 48 : Evoland - 3 hours - 12/30/14
An homage game to the RPG of before. A nostalgic little game. Go play it if you want to feel a little nostalgic. 3/5

Game 49 : Electronic Super Joy : Groove City - 70 minutes - 12/30/14
Short game , but damn is it hard. Way harder than the original game. Would recommend if you want more of Electronic Super Joy. Sountrack is awesome as always.

Game 50 : F.E.A.R : Extraction Point - 5 hours - 12/31/14
Been a while since I played F.E.A.R and wanted to get on the backlog of the series. Game is pretty good. Weapons still feel good to use but the spookyness factor was a little light even if they upped the darkness compared to the first one.

Game 51 : Thomas was Alone - 2:40 - 12/31/14
A nice narrative puzzle game about shapes. Never before has a square been as interesting. Highly recommended if you like light platforming puzzles and narration. 4/5

Game 52 : Half Life : Blue Shift - 3 hours - 12/31/14
More Half-Life. Way shorter than the two first, but a lot of reference to the first one and Opposite Force. Good ideas too, but some annoying escort going on and a lot of bugs. 3/5

Tyrael

Finally!

Game 1: Assassins Creed III - ~ 24 hours
Game 2: Sine Mora - 2.5 hours
Game 3: Bioshock Infinite - Burial at the Sea Ep.1 DLC - 3 hours
Game 4: Bulletstorm - 10 hours
Game 5: Metal Gear Rising - 8 hours
Game 6: The Super Shinobi (Revenge of the Shinobi) - 1.5 hours
Game 7: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist - 1.5 hours
Game 8: Streets of Rage 2 - 1.5 hours
Game 9: Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate- 3.5 hours
Game 10: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate HD - 8 hours
Game 11: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 - 18 hours
Game 12: Thunder Force V - 40 minutes
Game 13: Thunder Force VI - 45 minutes
Game 14: Rain - 5 hours
Game 15: Mega Man 10 - 2 hours
Game 16: Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - 5 hours
Game 17: Gunman Clive - 2 hours
Game 18: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - 10 hours
Game 19: Super Mario 3D Land - 12 hours
Game 20: Dante's Inferno - 8 hours
Game 21: 999 - 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors - 20 hours
Game 22: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - 4 hours
Game 23: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed - Ultimate Sith Edition
Game 24: Castle of Illusion (Remake) - 3 hours
Game 25: Gears of War: Judgement - 8 hours
Game 26: Bioshock Infinite: Burial at the Sea Ep.2 DLC - 4 hours
Game 27: House of The Dead: Overkill - 4 hours
Game 28: Jamestown - 3 hours
Game 29: Broken Age: ACT 1 - 4 hours
Game 30: Contrast - 3 hours
Game 31: Yoshi's Island DS - 10 hours
Game 32: God of War: Ascencion - 9 hours
Game 33: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - 28 hours
Game 34: Soul Calibur V - 3 hours
Game 35: Parodius: Non-Sense Fantasy - 1.5 hours
Game 36: Hydrophobia Prophecy - 4 hours
Game 37: Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut - 39 hours
Game 38: Mercs - 1 hour
Game 39: The Swapper - 8 hours
Game 40: Asura's Wrath + All DLC - 12 hours
Game 41: Batman (NES) - 2 hours
Game 42: Batman: Arkham Origins - 24 hours
Game 43: Destiny - 12 hours
Game 44: Shin Megami Tensei IV - 60 hours
Game 45: Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution - 2 hours
Game 46: Injustice - 5 hours
Game 47: Ryse: Son of Rome - 6 hours
Game 48: Portal 2 - 8 hours
Game 49: Beyond Good & Evil HD - 14 hours
Game 50: Red Dead Redemption - 28 hours
Game 51: Pupeteer - 12 hours
Game 52: Gone Home - 2 hours

Too bad the last game was a so shitty one, but in general I finished a lot of good games in 2014. :)

Success!

I didn't think I'd get anywhere near this - my previous record for one calendar year is 27 games - as I've got a one year old and had (and was aware up front of) a very busy year at work. One thing I do have, however, is 3 hours per working day on a train (1.5 each way commute) and that's gone most of the way to getting me to hit this. I've even taken my Wii-U on the train (plugged the console directly into the train and played exclusively on game pad)

Had a really good mix of titles this year - lots of different genres across a variety of platforms and indie / AAA.

Will try to come back and add comments..

Game #1: 9th Jan: Tearaway (Vita)
Game #2: 11th Jan: The Last of Us (PS3)
Game #3: 19th Jan: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS)
Game #4: 18th Feb: Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3)
Game #5: 20th Feb: The Last of Us: Left Behind (PS3)
Game #6: 20th Feb: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies (3DS)
Game #7: 23rd Feb: Hotline Miami (Vita)
Game #8: 1st Mar: The Room (iOS)
Game #9: 16th Mar: Completed Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS)
Game #10: 16th Mar: Completed Killzone: Shadowfall (PS4)
Game #11: 21st Mar: Completed Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PS3)
Game #12: 1st Apr: Completed The Room Two (iOS)
Game #13: 3rd Apr: Completed Tomb Raider (PS3)
Game #14: 7th Apr: Completed Super Mario 3D World (WiiU)
Game #15: 11th Apr: Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (PSP)
Game #16: 15th Apr: Steamworld Dig (3DS)
Game #17: 24th Apr: Completed Infamous: Second Son (PS4)
Game #18: 18th May: Completed Bioshock Infinite (PS3)
Game #19: 23rd May: Completed Gone Home (PC)
Game #20: 27th May: Completed Device 6 (iOS)
Game #21: 17th Jun: Completed Deus Ex: Human Revolution (WiiU)
Game #22: 18th Jun: Completed Monument Valley (iOS)
Game #23: 30th Jun: Completed Bravely Default (3DS)
Game #24: 1st Jul: Completed Another World - 20th Anniversary Edition (Vita)
Game #25: 6th Jul: Completed Fez (Vita)
Game #26: 8th Jul: Completed Lone Survivor (Vita)
Game #27: 23rd Jul: Completed Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD (Vita)
Game #28: 30th Jul: Completed Retro City Rampage (Vita)
Game #29: 4th Aug: Completed Snatcher (Mega CD)
Game #30: 8th Aug: Completed Cave Story (PSP)
Game #31: 26th Aug: Completed Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)
Game #32: 27th Aug: Completed Mega Man 2 (3DS VC)
Game #33: 28th Aug: Completed Super Mario Bros. (3DS VC)
Game #34: 31st Aug: Completed Pullblox (3DS)
Game #35: 6th Sep: Ico (PS3)
Game #36: 8th Sep: Completed Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate (Vita)
Game #37: 11th Sep: Completed Velocity 2X (Vita)
Game #38: 19th Sep: Completed The Walking Dead: 400 Days (360)
Game #39: 23rd Sep: Completed The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (3DS / GBC
Game #40: 1st Oct: Completed Corpse Party (Vita / PSP)
Game #41: 16th Oct: Completed Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS)
Game #42: 22nd Oct: Completed The Walking Dead: Season 2 (Vita)
Game #43: 25th Oct: Completed Remember Me (PS3)
Game #44: 5th Nov: Completed Rayman Legends (Vita)
Game #45: 8th Nov: Completed Super Castlevania IV (WiiU VC / SNES)
Game #46: 15th Nov: Completed DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (Vita)
Game #47: 29th Nov: Completed Resident Evil: Revelations (3DS)
Game #48: 5th Dec: Completed Bayonetta (WiiU)
Game #49: 21st Dec: Completed Monument Valley: Forgotten Shores (iOS)
Game #50: 22nd Dec: Completed Muramasa Rebirth (Vita)
Game #51: 27th Dec: Completed Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Xbox 360)
Game #52: 28th Dec: Completed Shovel Knight (WiiU)

Ongoing:

Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse (Vita)
Shadow of Mordor (PS4)

Stats:

13 Vita (+ 2 PSP Digital)
9 3DS (+ 3 VC)
8 PS3
5 iOS
4 WiiU (+ 1 VC)
3 PSP
2 PS4
2 NES
2 360
1 SNES
1 GBC
1 MCD
1 PC

39 Portable (including WiiU)
13 Console / PC

34 Backlogged from before 2014
18 Added in 2014

Ronik

Alright, I counted the games I finished this year and found out that I finished quite a bit more than 52:

Game 1: Shadowrun Returns - 9 hours
Nice RPG, even if a bit too short and easy. Also, I didn't really like the mid-story twist with the
magic bug ghosts.
I really liked the setting and the hacking, though, and I'm definitely looking forward to playing Dragonfall.

Game 2: Risen 2: Dark Waters - 24 hours
As a big Piranha Bytes fan, I liked this much more than I thought I would. The pirate theme was a nice change of pace, the dialogues were much better than in previous Piranha Bytes titles, the combat sucked, but after I got access to muskets, it stopped being an issue. I wasn't a big fan of the game world being split into several small islands, I preferred the one big world of the first Risen, but I wasn't too bothered with it. The story was kinda ass, but hey, who plays PB games for story?

Game 3: Ittle Dew - 6 hours
Fun Zelda clone with a really nice graphic style. I couldn't finish the Master Cave, though, the puzzles were too hard for me.

Game 4: Shadow Warrior (2013) – 11 hours
A very pleasant surprise, great FPS with one of the best FPS melee combat I have ever seen. I really didn't believe that Flying Wild Hog could make such a good game, considering Hard Reset was okay at best.

Game 5: Expeditions: Conquisdator – 20 hours
Very underrated and overlooked game. You should definitely check it out if you liked stuff like Divinity: Original Sin, XCOM or even Heroes of Might and Magic. I don't think it was too successful, so sadly there probably won't ever be a sequel.

Game 6: Assassin's Creed III – 30+ hours
Fuck this game. I have no idea why I finished it, shouldn't have bothered. I started playing it right when it came out and it was so boring I forced myself to finish it a year and a half after it came out. The naval battles and some of the Homestead stuff was okay, I guess, but the main story was terrible.

Game 7: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition – 42 hours
Not much needs to be said about this one. One of my top 10 games of all time.

Game 8: Shank 2 – 3 hours
Better than the predecessor, it had much smoother controls and better graphics. Other than that, it was basically the same game as Shank 1.

Game 9: Antichamber – 5 hours
Interesting game. Too short, but it had some really great ideas and clever level design, I would love more games like this.

Game 10: The Lord of the Rings: War in the North – 13 hours
I liked it well enough, but if I played it alone and not in co-op, I probably would have liked it a lot less. It was kinda shallow, some more sidequests and levels that aren't so corridory would do wonders for the game. And it looked pretty dull.

Game 11: Thomas Was Alone – 4 hours
Decent, I guess? The narration was by far the best part of the game, as a puzzle game it was too easy for my liking and almost all of the solutions were obvious right from the start of the level.

Game 12: Rayman Origins – 13 hours
Gorgeous game. The chase levels can go fuck themselves, though. I watched the last secret level on YouTube and I can't even imagine playing that, some of the mandatory ones were hard enough.

Game 13: Thief (2014) – 19 hours
Big fat meh. Thankfully I paid only like 8€ for it. There was too much boring backtracking in the City, the story was shit, the AI was dumb as bricks, the levels were too small and the controls were kinda... clumsy, I guess. Also, the best mission of the game was a pre-order DLC, that's always great.

Game 14: Torchlight 2 – 23 hours
Alright, I gotta admit that I'm not too demanding when it comes to ARPGs. Give me a lot of colorful loot, lot of colorful enemies and lot of skills and I'll happily mindlessly click for dozens of hours (and listen to podcasts and radio, ARPGs are great for that). Torchlight 2 gave me all of that and I was happy.

Game 15: Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist – 10+ hours
Now this is a fine stealth game. I've heard a comparison which says that it's basically a 3D version of Mark of the Ninja and I would kinda agree with that, these two games have the same basic idea: they give you a ton of cool gadgets and let you go wild. I can definitely see why some Splinter Cell fans detest the game, though.

Game 16: Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea Ep. 1/2 – 10- hours
Episode One was nothing special. Episode Two was a nice change from Infinite's standard gameplay, although I wasn't a fan of the BS1 connection.

Game 17: Pokémon Platinum – I don't even know how many hours
The weakest of the four Pokemon titles I played (Fire Red, Gold, Emerald). Pokemon selection wasn't that interesting (not a big fan of Gen IV designs, I ended up having like four Gen I Pokemon in my team) and it was too slow overall. But still, it's a Pokemon game like the others, so it was enjoyable anyway.

Game 18: Metro 2033 – 8 hours
Now I'm kinda regretting that I didn't wait for Redux version, but whatever. It was still a great shooter, even if it was full of that classic eastern European jank, especially if you tried to play it the stealth way.

Game 19: Call of Juarez: Gunslinger – 5 hours
This game needs a sequel in the same style so badly. Amazing FPS.

Game 20: Bleed – 2 hours
An OK platformer.

Game 21: Sine Mora – 2 hours
Shump with some really interesting mechanics and really nice environments. The story was so incredibly confusing I had to read a summary on Wikipedia to finally understand what the hell is going on and who were all those people. And the Hungarian voice acting was a... interesting touch, I guess?

Game 22: Viscera Cleanup Detail: Shadow Warrior – 2 hours
Pretty amusing. However, I had to use a dev console to get 100% completition, several blood splatters were in unreachable areas.

Game 23: Shelter – 1 hour
Great graphic style, surprisingly sad.

Game 24: PixelJunk Shooter – 5 hours
I actually didn't know that this is a puzzle game, but I really enjoyed it.

Game 25: Defy Gravity Extended – 2 hours
A very average puzzle platformer, but for 10 cents on Steam, it was worth it.

Game 26: Transformers: War for Cybertron – 9 hours
Unexpectedly fun TPS, kinda repetitive though.

Game 27: Divinity II: Flames of Vengeance – 8 hours
An expansion which pretty much got rid of my biggest beef with the original game, dragon sections, though it was a bit too short in my opinion and nothing special story wise.

Game 28: The 39 Steps – 3 hours
A nice book.

Game 29: FEZ – 9 hours
Beautiful game, even though I didn't have patience for some of the more bullshit puzzles.

Game 30: Sniper Elite V2 – 6 hours
This game is awful. The stealth is absolutely broken, levels are corridory as fuck and enemies have magical bullshit accuracy and map awareness.

Game 31: Remember Me – 9 hours
A very pleasant surprise. I understand the complaints, but sometimes I just wanna sit back and enjoy the linear, cinematic ride. But yes, it was a lot of wasted potential.

Game 32: Sugar Cube: Bittersweet Factory – 4 hours
meh/10

Game 33: Toki Tori 2+ – 9 hours
I thought that the first Toki Tori game was pretty boring and overcomplicated, but this one is much better. As far as puzzle "metroidvania" style games go, I enjoyed it more than FEZ. Much more clever game design than it seems at a first glance.

Game 34: Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon – 6 hours
Fun!

Game 35: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag – 40+ hours
Great open world, shit story missions. Thankfully I could just pretty much ignore them for the most of the game and just go wherever I wanted.

Game 36: Divinity: Original Sin – 58 hours
Game of the year? Game of the year.

Game 37: State of Decay – 15 hours
Even though I really like the concept, it really needed a bigger budget and bigger dev team to do it justice. Right now, SoD is a really nice proof of concept that doesn't have that much content. Good, but it constantly reminds me that it could be way better.

Game 38: Dishonored – 11 hours
Better than Thief, that's for sure. Not a big fan of press X to win magical powers in a stealth game, but I played non-lethal anyway. Great art design.

Game 39: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified – 13 hours
I still don't know how to feel about this game. It's obvious that it had a very troubled development and the game we got was probably a pale shadow of the game that devs wanted to make. Especially considering the story, which ended really abruptly. Still not a bad game, if you enjoyed Mass Effect style combat, you would like it. The main character is an asshole, though.

Game 40: Might & Magic X: Legacy – 40 hours
A great game with one problem: at like 25 hours, I realized my party is like five or six levels above every enemy in the game and nothing can really kill me anymore, so the rest of the game wasn't really that exciting.

Game 41: Sid Meier's Pirates! – 8 hours
I don't really see why is this game so fondly remembered when it's pretty much just a collection of minigames of varying quality. The best pirate game of all time? Please.

Game 42: Cook, Serve, Delicious! – 21 hours
Well, I definitely did not expect to play this game for 20 hours, I can tell you that much.

Game 43: Assassin's Creed: Freedom Cry – 7 hours
More of AC4 is not a bad thing.

Game 44: Eldritch – 3 hours
A decent roguelite that stopped being challenging when I found out that the best tactic is just to run and ignore enemies. That worked quite well for me, even in the Mountains of Madness dungeon.

Game 45: Tropico 4 – 25? hours
I paid 40 cents for it and ended up playing it for 60 hours (counting the base game, the expansion and the DLCs), that's a pretty great value in my book. One of the best city builders I have ever played, maybe a bit too easy, but everything else makes up for it.

Game 46: Monument Valley – 1.5 hours
Beautiful little game.

Game 47: Halo: Spartan Assault – 4 hours
Boring. Maybe if you're a Halo fan, otherwise don't bother.

Game 48: How to Survive – 7 hours
Interesting action RPG. I mean, you don't really see zombie ostriches quite that often.

Game 49: The Room – 2 hours
Pretty much my ideal mobile game. Short, can be played in small chunks, isn't pay to win, looks good, uses touch screen well...

Game 50: Guacamelee! Gold Edition – 9 hours
Decent enough metroidvania which I didn't love as much as I thought I would. The last two bosses kinda soured me on it, the difficulty jump was way too steep compared to the rest of the game.

Game 51: Gunpoint – 2 hours
Great puzzle platformer, way too short, but surprisingly funny.

Game 52: Steamworld Dig – 4 hours
Nice, relaxing game.

Game 53: Papers, Please – 5 hours
A lot of people say that this game is deliberately not fun to play, but I didn't really feel that way, I enjoyed how hectic it was.

Game 54: The Room Two – 3? hours
Better than the first The Room in every way. And The Room was great.

Game 55: Risen 3: Titan Lords – 33 hours
This game was weird. It felt like it had a crisis of identity, trying to mash the medieval fantasy of the first Risen with pirates from Risen 2 and the end result felt really weird and not at all like the older Gothic games. Plus, the story introduced a new protagonist, which made zero sense, it seems like the story was written for the old one and the new guy was shoehorned in for whatever reason later in development. And the game was too easy, absurdly easy because you could just abuse the companion and pretty much never take damage.

Game 56: CONSORTIUM – 4 hours
Not what I expected. It looked like a Deus Ex/System Shock style RPG... but I didn't fire a single shot during the entire game. Still, a very interesting game with a very unique lore, hopefully the sequel will actually come out next year.

Game 57: Tropico 4: Modern Times – 17? hours
The new buildings made the game a bit too easy. Hilarious campaign, though.

Game 58: 6180 the moon – 2 hours
Cute platformer with a unique twist to it.

Game 59: Injustice: Gods Among Us – 6 hours
I'm not really into fighting games and I probably would have never played it if it wasn't free on Steam, but I liked it.

Game 60: Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor – 21 hours
A very unexpected surprise, I expected a totally crappy cash-in and got an enjoyable Assassin's Creed clone (which was probably better than this year's AC).

Game 61: Alan Wake – 17 hours
A bit repetitive, but the story was interesting enough that I didn't mind.

Game 62: The Banner Saga – 7 hours
Beautiful art, but way too short. Very excited for the sequel.

Game 63: The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition – 5 hours
I never played this before, but it still holds up just fine.

Game 64: PAYDAY: The Heist – 17 hours
Decent enough to play through a few times with my roommates.

Game 65: Hitman: Absolution – 12 hours
Never played another Hitman game before, but I enjoyed this one.

Game 66: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron – 6 hours
Better than War for Cybertron in every way. And War for Cybertron was great.

Game 67: Star Trek (2013) – 7 hours
I had some fun playing it in coop, but not really a game I would recommend to anyone. Way too many stupid minigames.

Game 68: Wolfenstein: The New Order – 10 hours
Who would have thought that this game will be so good? Definitely in my top 5 this year.

Game 69: The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth – 106 hours (and counting)
For what it is, it's perfect. I can't really find anything wrong with it.

Game 70: The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing – 13 hours
Good action RPG up until the end of Act 2, Act 3 is just awful, huge crowds of enemies that can occasionally kill you in one hit. Fun!

Game 71: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance – 12 hours
I buttonmashed my way to victory on Easy and I loved it.

Game 72: Alan Wake's American Nightmare – 4 hours
The combat is more fun than in the first game, Mr. Scratch is a great villain, but recycling each level three times is just lazy.

dot

Games #1-42

43. To the Moon
- This got me a bit teary-eyed. ;-; I love the soundtrack!

44. Akane the Kunoichi
- Achievements were easy. The kimonos in the last stage though...

45. Sugar Cube: Bittersweet Factory
- Got the normal ending. I seriously have way too many puzzle platformers on steam. @_@

46. Go! Go! Nippon! ~My First Trip to Japan~
- I was going for Makoto and got the Akira ending instead...of course that happened. This actually teaches you about japanese locations and food and stuff, i thought that was neat.

47. Thomas Was Alone
- I liked this a lot! The puzzles were easy to do for a dumb person like me. It's just a really relaxing game.

48. Bayonetta 2
- I felt like the enemy and character designs took a step back from the original. Game has some framerate drops. The story was okay. Just more of the same...

49. Gone Home
- That's it? Eh...it was okay. Took me exactly 2 hours to beat.

50. The Room
- Puzzle games aren't my thing at all. :(

51. Shovel Knight
- This is so good! I'm a big Megaman fan and this blew me away.

52. Bleed
- Short game. I liked the slowdown mechanic but the game was still too hard for me.

wooooo

I can't believe i actually did it! :>

Axass

I'm done!

Games 1-23 | Games 24-52

Game 51: Little Inferno [replay] - 7/10 - 6:21 hours
Got all combos and finished the game. It's an incredibly addictive timewaster that tries to make you feel bad for playing it. Clever.

Game 52: Pullblox - 8/10 - 39:15 hours
100% completed. Very cool and innovative way of thinking puzzles and action puzzle games, a good mix of puzzles and platforming. The main mechanic is a clever concept but it feels underdeveloped, even with the addition of the various mechanisms: the puzzles feel mostly the same and get repetitive after a while, especially the non-mural ones: you can only do so many increasingly difficult multicoloured towers before the feeling of deja-vu sets in. The rewind mechanic is a godsend, and doesn't make solving the puzzles cheap thanks to the fact it's timed. There's a serious pacing problem though: the first half of the game is too damn easy, the second half of the game is too danm hard.

Schlomo

Looks like I'm 10 games short. I blame it on completing two Nanowrimos in 2014. Here's my final list:

Game 1: The Swapper (PC) - 4.3 hours, completed on 02.01.2014
Game 2: Brothers (PC) - 3.4 hours, completed on 03.01.2014
Game 3: Beyond: Two Souls (PS3) - completed on 09.01.2014
Game 4: The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past (Wii VC) - completed on 15.01.2014
Game 5: Broken Age, Part 1 (PC) - completed on 15.01.2014
Game 6: Metal Gear Rising (PC) - 14 hours, completed on 20.01.2014
Game 7: Picross e4 (3DS) - completed on 24.01.2014
Game 8: Guacamelee (PS3) - 8 hours, completed on 24.01.2014
Game 9: Harvey's New Eyes (PC) - completed on 30.01.2014
Game 10: Deponia (PC) - completed on 11.02.2014
Game 11: rain (PS3) - completed on 14.02.2014
Game 12: Don't Starve (PS4) - survived 20 days on 15.02.2014
Game 13: Dragon's Crown (PS3) - completed on 19.02.2014
Game 14: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (3DS) - completed on 25.02.2014
Game 15: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Wii U) - completed on 09.03.2014
Game 16: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PC) - completed on 09.03.2014
Game 17: The Book of Unwritten Tales (PC) - completed on 17.03.2014
Game 18: Lilly Looking Through (PC) - completed on 19.03.2014
Game 19: Infamous: Second Son (PS4) - completed on 23.03.2014
Game 20: Assassin's Creed 4 (PS4) - completed on 26.04.2014
Game 21: Banjo Kazooie (360) - completed on 10.05.2014
Game 22: Crash Bandicoot Warped (PS3) - completed on 24.05.2014
Game 23: Pikmin 3 (Wii U) - completed on 24.05.2014
Game 24: Sly Cooper 1 HD (PS3) - completed on 27.05.2014
Game 25: Hiku Otsu/Fallblox (3DS) - completed on 12.7.2014
Game 26: Mario Kart 8 (Wii U) - completed on 28.7.2014
Game 27: Shelter (PC) - completed on 9.8.2014
Game 28: P.T (PS4) - completed on 17.8.2014
Game 29: Super Mario Sunshine (GC via Dolphin) - completed on 3.9.2014
Game 30: Hohokum (PS4) - completed on 24.9.2014
Game 31: Jet Set Radio Future (Xbox via Xbox 360) - completed on 4.10.2014
Game 32: Ultimate NES Remix (3DS)
Game 33: Hyrule Warriors (Wii U)
Game 34: Captain Toad (Wii U)
Game 35: Silent Hill 2 (PS2)
Game 36: Alien - Isolation (PC) - completed on 24.11.2014
Game 37: Zelda - Twilight Princess (GC) - completed on 15.12.2014
Game 38: TowerFall Ascension (PS4) - completed on 17.12.2014
Game 39: Zero - Nuregarasu no Miko (Wii U) - completed on 28.12.2014
Game 40: Ryû ga gotoku: Ishin (PS4) - completed on 31.12.2014
Game 41: Smash Bros. (3DS)
Game 42: Smash Bros. (Wii U)

Games 1 through 32 (updated)

33. Lego Batman 2 (Vita) - 29th December - approx. 6 hours
I've never really liked the Lego games, although this is the first I played to completion. I found it really bland, unimaginatively designed and was surprised by the number of glitches too (three or four times events would not trigger so I couldn't progress). The premise is kind of fun and I liked it poking fun at itself, but aside from a couple of fun chase sequences and boss fights I found the level design to be pretty poor overall and very repetitive. I liked that they used Elfman's music from the original Batman films (I think at one point I maybe even heard a bit of Forever soundtrack in there too) and the voicework was good, but overall it's a really mediocre game that feels just like the other Lego games I've played with a pallet swap. 5/10

And I think that's me done for 2014; I have Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning and Ys: Memories of Celceta currently on the go and neither will be finished tonight. I'll definitely contribute to the 2015 topic though, and I really like keeping track of completed games like this and it's helping to visualise my backlog. Very pleased to have finished 33 games this year.

Weiss

Banned
Game 67: Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep - 24 hours

A huge step up from KH2. Combat is a lot more fun, the three heroes are all equally interesting characters (even if the story is littered with silly cameos from other games in the series) and I feel that I actually have a reason to use all the tools at my disposal, unlike in KH2.

Well, looks like this is the end of the line for me. Sure was nice clearing out my backlog, and I played some seriously amazing games.

Kolgar

Congrats to all who are finishing up!

Looking back over my list, my favorite games I played this year are:

> Titanfall - I logged hundreds of hours over all three platforms, PC, 360, and X1
> Prey - This niche title's style and atmosphere are burned into my memory forever
> The Last of Us: Left Behind - Perhaps the best three-hour sitting in my 39 years of gaming
> The Evil Within - Deliciously tense survival horror with varied environments and a ton of cool gameplay mechanics
> Forza Horizon 2 - One of the best racers, if not the best, I've ever played

Other standouts for various reasons:
> Outlast and its DLC scared the crap out of me
> P.T. (somehow left off my list) was beautiful and amazing
> F.E.A.R. and its expansions were a joy to play through, with shooting mechanics and environmental effects that still haven't been topped
> South Park: The Stick of Truth was laugh-out-loud funny, it played great, and is the perfect hybrid of TV and video game
> Destiny was pure shooting bliss for 20 hours, after which it crapped out and I had no choice but to trade it back

And kudos to Ryse: Son of Rome for giving me my first taste of next-gen visuals on the new consoles.

I don't think I'll attempt a 52-game challenge in 2015 as it's a big commitment and I've got too much going on. Plus, I'll enjoy just playing games purely for fun again. But I will continue to log and write down my thoughts about each game after I finish it, as I find that enjoyable to do and to look back on.

Who knows, maybe I'll finish Alien: Isolation before 2014 is out.

Happy New Year!

An-Det

Main post for the thread here.

Last update for the year to cover this last month. Since I had finished the 52 in November and knew that I would be on vacation for a good chunk of the month, I wanted to focus more on rpg's and longer games. It was also nice to sit back and enjoy games rather than blitz to finish the list during the holidays. Aside from the below, I've played a good 25 hours of Persona 4 Golden (it's fucking awesome) and 5-ish of Lost Odyssey (not as much as I'd like but really enjoying it so far, hoping to make up for it and finish it before Bloodborne releases). Definitely going to do the 2015 challenge, already have a number of games installed on Steam to start things off.

December

54. Grand Theft Auto 5 PS4

I'd been waiting for the next gen remaster to replay the game and I am glad that I did. Amazing game, so many varied scenarios and story beats. I was a bit down on it the first time through last year, but going through it again a year away from release hype I had a blast and it has definitely come into it's own for me as an awesome game.

55. Pokemon Alpha Sapphire

For the last few years I'd buy a Pokemon game in November, play half of it, then get sidetracked and play the second half in the weeks leading up to the next game, then repeat the pattern, playing a whole game each year but only in halves. I made sure to avoid that this year and I'm glad that I did since the game is fantastic. Loads of content, a fun campaign, and a much better post-Elite 4 story than X/Y's stupid detective thing. Plus being able to Fly without carrying a Fly mule around was such a great change. Loved it.

Bonus: The Walking Dead: 400 Days

Not counting it as a separate game since it's dlc and just 1/6 of the game, but since Season 2 is going to be one of the first games that I play for 2015 I wanted to finally play this (also to make sure my main save still was there). Short and sweet, each vignette did a different thing and didn't overstay it's welcome, and telling the story at different points in time (and you choosing the order) was great for seeing the breakdown of the area and of people in general. I really liked it, for what it was trying to do it was solid.

Sendou

Ran out of space in my original post (24776 characters and counting) so here's a new one.

Game 47: The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth - 75 hours
# Final boss beaten on normal difficulty. When I started playing this game I was ecstatic. Rebirth is the facelift that was needed to bring one of the games that started the renaissance of roguelikes to year 2014. That said it still has the same problems as every roguelike does. I found that it's very hard to get challenging yet fun runs going in this game. Either you're going to end up way overpowered or just too weak to put up a fight. Also the final four levels of the game always felt a bit duller since they lacked items that define your character. I always found entering a treasure room the most exciting parts of the game. Other problems I have with the game include how some items don't work together at all. The Binding of Isaac is based on discovery and exploration. When result of that exploration is underwhelming that's going to hurt the overall experience. I should clarify that I don't mind bad combinations but instead I'm just talking about items that don't form a combination. I'll be returning to the game. One of the most impressive parts of this game's design is replayability.

Game 48: L.A. Noire - 24 hours
# Some sweet environments and atmosphere wrapped in subpar gameplay. Too few games take place in this era. Has some potential that I wish will be unleashed in future titles in the series.

Game 49: DLC Quest - 2 hours
# Novelty idea but with lacking execution. The joke they based the game around has gotten a bit old by now too. It could have been so much more really.

Game 50: Finding Teddy
# Beautiful pixelart world that lacks substance. Puzzle design that tries way too hard to be clever and fails doing so. I'm happy I played it but I'm also glad I had a walkthrough open on another monitor.

Game 51: Super Meat Boy
# Didn't quite live up to the hype. Probably the tightest indie platformer in existence with great presentation. However it failed to keep up the fun when the difficulty ramped up.

Game 52: 6180 the moon
# Simplistic but still quite decent platformer. Doesn't quite reach its potential. Story is mind blowingly bad.

Done!

DONE! Managed to reach the 100 games with hours to spare before the drinking starts for new year. Will take part again next year, but will be focusing on some longer games that have been clogging up the back log. Well done everyone who took part even if you didn't hit the target!

Game 84: Fork Parker's Holiday Profit Hike - 1.7 Hours
Free game so no complaints really. Not much else to say either.

Game 85: Proteus - 30 Minutes
Not much of a game but still fun none the less. Just wandering about and hearing the changes in audio and seeing the different seasons.

Game 86: Offspring Fling - 2 Hours
Another one of those games I've had for ages but never got round to it. Glad I finally done, fun little puzzler that never got too taxing.

Game 87: Sugar Cube: Bittersweet Factory - 2.5 Hours
Fun game with some really cool ideas but got frustrating at some points when it felt the controls weren't quite clicking.

Game 88: Puddle - 3.1 Hours
Shame the controls let this down, if only it had an option to switch between the pools of liquid that got separated. Enjoyed it though.

Game 89: Eets Munchies - 0.9 Hours
This is the "I might actually hit 100, lets get stuff completed" stage. Decent game, nothing more.

Game 90: Dynamite Jack - 2.1 Hours
Fun game, no major issues. A little frustrating at times but nothing that jumped out as bad.

Game 91: Dead Pixels - 1.2 Hours
Glad I finally got round to playing this, great little game. Co-op is pretty good as well.

Game 92: The Plan - 5 minutes
Well...its free, short and a nice twist at the end. Go play it.

Game 93: Halo: Spartan Assault - 4.1 Hours
This could have been so much better. Nothing really terrible about it, just nothing that good. Ohh! Dying two seconds before the end of a mission and having to do the whole thing again? That sucks when it wasn't fun first time.

Game 94: KAMI - 1.5 Hours
The game where perfect is best, but being OK will get you to the end. Clever puzzler.

Game 95: Fortix - 1.5 Hours
It was alright, once you work out a pretty easy way to cheese it though it kind of takes the fun out of it.

Game 96: Hexcells - 2.2 Hours
Minesweeper type puzzle game. The sounds when clicking on things was great as well. No complaints.

Game 97: Ben There, Dan That - 2.1 Hours
Pretty decent point and click, but being honest only got through it to help reach the 100 target.

Game 98: Splice - 2.3 Hours
Yet another clever puzzler. Fantastic UI/Menu design as well.

Game 99: To The Moon - 3.8 Hours
Not much of a game per say but a really charming experience with the story, audio and some of the writing. Nice relaxing game.

Game 100: A Birds Story - 1.1 Hours
Pretty much the exact same as To The Moon which was to be expected. Nice way to round things off for the year.

Original Post

octopiggy

32 is my total for the year.

This is the first full year that I've been keeping a record of what I've played so I'm not sure if that's a big number or a small number for me. My guess would be big.
I think it's unlikely that I would ever hit 52. When I play a game I tend to completely wring it dry and get everything I can out of it. I'm kind of hoping my number next year will be slightly smaller if I'm as productive as I'm hoping!

Played some excellent games this year. here's the full list:

1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
2. New Super Mario U
3. Kirby Mass Attack
4. Kururin Squash
5. Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze
6. Nintendo Land
7. Pokemon Emerald
8. Star Fox 64 3D
9. Go! Go! Beckham
10. Mario Golf: World Tour
11. The New Tetris
12. Mario Kart 8
13. Game & Wario
14. Pullblox World
15. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
16. NES Remix
17. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
18. Pullblox
19. Jet Set Radio HD
20. NES Remix 2
21. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
22. Rocksmith
23. Hexcells
24. Warioware: Mega Party Games
25. Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
26. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
27. Super Smash Bros. for 3DS
28. Octodad
29. Cook, Serve, Delicious!
30. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
31. Pokemon Omega Ruby
32. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

I know Mario Kart 8 had most hours sunk into it (about 120!). I might check my numbers and see what my top 5 time-sinks were.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
~Epilogue~
Easiest difficulty...
Cheat codes...
New Game+...

Well after all that could I really end with beating a game legitimately? No way! I grabbed my copy of Space Channel 5 an entered the auto mode code and let the game beat itself for me! Technically I input button presses which enabled the game to be beaten... soooo ask yourself what this may or may not count for!

Consoles: 36 <-> Handhelds 16

PS2: 13
PS3: 12
GBA: 6
PS: 5
PSP: 4
Saturn: 3
3DS: 3
e-Reader: 2
Gamecube: 2
DS: 1
Dreamcast: 1

Top 3 Genres:
RPG: 12 <-> Action: 9 <-> Beat 'em Up: 8

Happy 2014!

Games Beaten: 52 / 52?
Total Playtime: 569 hours, 00 minutes

01 - 33!
34 - 52?!

donny2112

Final Tally (unless I finish Valiant Hearts today, which seems unlikely): 127 games

Total Hours: ~1,247 hours (Max: 115.5 hours, Median: 6.5 hours, Min: 1 hour)

PC: 46
3DS (including VC): 33
360 (including XBX): 18
WII U (including VC): 16
WII (including VC): 6
NES: 4
GBC: 1
GCN: 1
MOBILE: 1
SNES: 1

I expect there to be more MOBILE games next year and much less overall games next year, as I'll be trying to do the 50 books/50 movies challenge for 2015, as well. Gotta clear out all the backlogs! :D (Don't have a real movie backlog, but have a sizeable book one. :p )

Tybolt

Banned
I did it -- 52! I felt like I cheesed it a bit at the end, but oftentimes the criteria for beating a game can be fluid... So I'll take my satisfaction, thank you very much.

Post #1
Post #2

Game 1: Legend of Mana - 25 Hours
This was a beautifully designed game I'd had on my backlog for a long time. I promised myself I wouldn't buy Fantasy Life until I beat it, so I did. I didn't complete all the side stories but it was still a great experience.

Game 2: MGS VR Missions - 10 Hours
I'm a sucker for old-school mission pack-styled expansions. It was much better once the missions had a bit more meat to them and playing as the ninja was great for the whole five minutes of fun the missions offered.

Game 3: MGS Peace Walker HD - 30+ Hours
I played this alongside VR Missions. Also an excellent experience, especially when I played with one of my buddies online. I want to go back to get more of the wackier endgame weapons eventually so I can easily kidnap whole tanks.

Game 4: Dark Souls 2 - 140+ Hours
I'm a huge Dark Souls fan and I was not disappointed. Completed all the Steam achievements for this one and PvP'd until I lost interest, although I haven't had the chance to touch the expansions.

Game 5: Saints Row the Third - 50 Hours
I was kind of skeptical about the game as first, but the humor hooked me in the end. I liked it much more than I expected to, and I'm glad to have finished it. Maybe 80%+ completed?

Game 6: Saints Row 4 - 35 Hours
After having some good expectations from 3, I was a bit annoyed to find out that 4 was more like an expansion to 3 focused around superpowers. The game felt much shorter and I nearly collected everything in one go through the game. Lost interest around the Christmas-themed expansion after the main game. I think I had some fatigue setting in by this point which really didn't help.

Game 7: Final Fantasy V - 25+ Hours
Played through this for the Fiesta. Not my first time to the rodeo and I played with frameskip, but I had to grind a lot to complete the challenges due to my team assortment. I posted about my adventure here. My victory post is right here.

Game 8: NiGHTS into Dreams - 10 Hours
I played through this before on the PS3, but having bought my own Saturn this year it was a joy to play it on the original hardware. Did quite a bit more with the A-life system than I'd done before. This in itself justified the Saturn for me.

Game 9: Christmas NiGHTS - 5+ Hours
I played this in the middle of summer but... Holy shit, so good. I loved the idea of a super deluxe demo, and the unlockables -- especially the Sonic into Dreams bonus were great to see in person, even moreso as a fan of the lost history of Sonic on the system. Will have to boot it up again in a few weeks!

Game 10: Diablo 3 + Reaper of Souls - 400+ Hours
This is the reason I didn't finish more games. Between playing with friends and conquering the Barbarian leaderboards and maxing out several characters, this definitely counts as a completion.

Game 11: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - 200+ Hours... For this year.
I revisited this game after pretty much just about finishing it last year, to go for all the awards -- primarily the Artisan's Hammer before MH4 comes out. I didn't get it yet, but the mastery I gained over the monsters this late into the game counts as a completion, I think.

Game 12: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive - Let's not talk about the time put in...
Made it from rock bottom to a very respectable rank in Competitive, and made money to pay for Steam games that I wished would have made this list, but didn't due to playing CS:GO. Whoops!

Game 13: Mario Kart 8 - 30+ Hours
Finished all the tracks on all difficulties, played a lot online. Looking forward to the DLC tracks coming soon!

Game 14: Kirby Super Star - ~8 Hours
Finished all the games. I love the concept. I'm not a huge Kirby fan, but it's very cool to see how adaptable he is to different styles of play.

Game 15: NES Remix - ~12 Hours
Finished all the games. Fuck that golf game, so much.

Game 16: NES Remix 2 - ~12 Hours
Finished all the games. Fuck Wario's Woods, so much.

Game 17: Majora's Mask - 72 Hours... I mean, 20 hours!
I really regret not playing this earlier.

Game 18: Zelda II - ~12 Hours
It was all downhill from the Death Mountain segment, really. It was definitely a departure from the other games in the series but I have to say playing through this one blind, it really felt like I was having an adventure. Props!

Game 19: Hyrule Warriors 30+ Hours, ongoing!
I finished the main story. Working on unlocking more stuff and with plans to progress into the Master Quest and DLC content. I'm not a huge musou fan and I thought I burnt myself out on it after going platinum on Ken's Rage, but I really liked it.

Game 20: Pokemon Y - 200+ Hours
Yes, I got them all. I don't think I have it in me to touch ORAS for the time being thanks to all that effort.

Game 21: Bravely Default - 120 Hours
Great game until the halfway point, but it came together at the end. Pretty much went 100% on it to savor the depth of the battle system. It was a drag at many points, but I don't regret it.

Game 22: Super Smash Bros. for 3DS - 40 Hours
Finished Classic Mode at 9.0, got a positive win/loss in For Glory and the vast majority of the challenges were finished. It's my first trip to the Smash rodeo here, and now I know why everyone loves it.

Game 23: Tomodachi Life - 15+ Hours
I completed the main objective of having some kids and unlocking all the in-game functions. Funny and charming for awhile until some of the jokes and goofy situations repeat. Given the chance, I would have waited to get it at a massive discount.

Game 24: Rusty's Real Deal Baseball - 10 Hours
I finished the "story", and the minigames were very charming. I've been away from them for awhile, but they were worth the (very haggled-down) prices I paid.

Game 25: Fire Emblem Awakening - 90+ Hours
So good. I still work towards getting all the Renown rewards in anticipation of a Lunatic run some time in the future. Need to finish the endgame DLC but I have very high level characters.

Game 26: Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 200+ Hours
I have almost every item in the game since I started last year. This year found the completion of the rest of the encyclopedias and a huge portion of foreign version content thanks to HomePass.

Game 27: Bayonetta (Wii U version) - 10 Hours
I was apprehensive at first but holy shit, so good. Going to try to play a quick something else before starting on 2 to keep the palate clean. This will definitely be one to revisit for extras. I didn't realize how deep this game can go.

Game 28: Monster World IV - 8 Hours
I'd been working on this for awhile and ended up restarting at one point after taking way too long at about the quarter-way point. Both the music and art style were adorable, it's a shame it never got an official release during the age of the Genesis.

Game 29: Bayonetta 2 - 12 Hours
Fabulous game, but the story felt kind of like Spider-Man 3 in terms of how all over the place it was. Did a few hours of Tag Climax and it was definitely interesting, plus a great way to grind for unlocks without it feeling like a grind.

Game 30: Super Mario 3D World - 10 Hours
I had this partially beaten much earlier in the year. Finally made my way to the end of the special worlds and then finished the Champion's Road and also collected all the stars. Feels really good!

Game 31: Demon's Crest - 4 Hours
I had high expectations but I left feeling that this was more like Baby's First Metroid. Although the bosses are very substantial the exploration, gameplay and combat left a lot to be desired. I'm not sure why this game is so highly regarded.

Game 32: Shovel Knight - 5 Hours
I had a really good time with this one and I'm pretty interested to see what gets added to the game in the coming updates. The ending was really nice, too.

Game 33: Metroid 2 - 3 Hours, 5 Minutes
...Whoops, just barely missed out on the bikini ending. It's a shame they never made an expanded remake of this, because I think a lot of the design structure of the game was absolutely fantastic, and that this game needs much more love than it gets.

Game 34: Sin and Punishiment - 2 Hours
Had to restart from the beginning more than once, but it was so good that I was just fine with that. This is another one I regret not playing sooner.

Game 35: MGS: Ground Zeroes - Well, it's complicated...
SO GOOD. I "beat" the game by doing the main mission, but I'm going to be replaying this one for awhile as I work to the 100%.

Game 36: Astebreed - 3 Hours
The final boss was a bit janky when the game went full danmaku, but it was a fabulous shmup otherwise. Wished I played it sooner!

Game 37: Duck Hunt - 2 Hours
Well hey, I put a whole afternoon into it and got pretty good scores on all three modes. I think I'll let this count.

Game 38: Raiden's Big Adventure: Revengeance - 10 Hours
I'm still not sure why this game exists, but I approve.

Game 39: Crimsonland - 4 Hours
Here's one from earlier this year I forgot about. I played this one years ago, but the devs were cool enough to give me a key for the enhanced Steam version as I actually still had proof of purchase from buying the original. The only top-down shooter that Smash TV would bow down to.

Game 40: Long Live The Queen - 2 Hours
Another earlier in the year game. I expected Princess Maker 2 and didn't get it.

Game 41: Gauntlet - 4 Hours
One from this summer. I played through the vast majority of the game with a group of friends at launch. We were pretty close to finishing it, but we also pretty much experienced all the game had to offer. Hopefully we'll really clear house next time we get together, but I'll call it a clear for the sake of this list.

Game 42: Desktop Dungeons - 11 Hours
One from earlier this year that I repressed the memory of. Fuck this game. I made enough progress into this pile of trash to understand that I wanted nothing else to do with it. The least I can do is have it count as one for the list, too.

Game 43: Doom 64 EX: - 5 Hours
I think this is one of the first games I finished this year that I found while scavenging for anything else to fluff out the list. I never had a chance to play through the original, but this may as well be called both a perfect and improved port of the original. Gotta give credit to the incredible accuracy and skill of the Doom community, as always.

Game 44: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition: The Black Pits - 8 Hours
I guess it can be considered a game even if it's more of a tactics-based minigame of sorts, but it's still a lengthy enough experience... Especially when enduring all the egregious bugs it offered. This is another late addition from early this year. I played a version available on Steam prior to one of the major updates, but given Overhaul's track record... I'm assuming they only made it worse since then.

Game 45: Dragon Age: Origins - 60 Hours
I finished this years ago but I wanted another go at the story so I'd be able to properly set up everything on the Keep for when I eventually get Inquisition since I didn't remember a thing about it. The game was more than a bit of a drag but I'm a bit more interested in playing through 2 again -- at least after I push through Awakening and Witch Hunt -- as I much prefer its inventory and party dynamics. Might save it for the new year, though.

Game 46: Dragon Age: Awakening - 20 Hours
Well, I liked it more than the core game. I talked a bit about my preferences for scale in the recent thread about DA2 not being that bad regardless of its Shit Mountain status. The last two expansions should be a breeze from here.

Game 47: Batman: Arkham Origins - 12 Hours
I guess this was my Christmas game to plow through. I'm not sure why I keep playing these Batman games, though. I mean, they have good stories, voice acting is superb, and the combat system is pretty good even I still have PTSD from my time getting the platinum on Arkham Asylum, but the boss battles are just terrible. So terrible.

Game 48: Dragon Age: Golems of Amgarrak - 2 Hours
Well, I'd like to get the 52 in so I'm going to count the DA expansions. It's always nice to have a challenge in a game, even if the challenge is mostly due to you having a horribly unfit party. This was also supposed to be Bioware testing out some new engine capabilities but given that the main showcase was colored lighting... Well, 1996 called, and you guys are a bit late.

Game 49: Dragon Age: Witch Hunt - 2 Hours
And an appropriate finish for the main game. I'm okay with this. Almost had a bit of a crisis until I remembered I had to re-enable autosaving in order to create the import-ready save for DA2, though. You'd think that the game would override the choice to ensure the player would have a completed save at the very end, but whatever.

Game 50: Arkham Origins: Cold, Cold Heart - 4 Hours
I made sure to 100% it because it feels like I'm taking easy way out, filling this here list with expansions. An appropriate play as this is set right before the new year. As always, Mr. Freeze invokes many feels.

Game 51: Typing of the Dead: Overkill - 3 Hours
I started this one earlier in the year, and it was nice to get through it at last. I really hope the original game gets put up on Steam sometime, too. I would have loved to see G and Washington with keyboard-based weapons, also. This one complaint is the only reason I can't declare this the best typing game ever.

Game 52: Crazy Taxi - 2 Hours
Well, not quite the Crazy Taxi I remember, but instead the not-quite-right Steam version of it. I feel like I could have said I'd beaten it sooner if I whipped out the Dreamcast. Went to work for a Class S license and got some of my skill back while playing around in the Crazy Box. It wasn't really as fun as I remembered so I stopped. I don't know if I wasn't feeling the gameplay or if the Offspring and Bad Religion music really made that much of a difference.

donny2112

Catching up on congrats, so sorry if I missed someone.

Congratulations, Emperor_EL, Metaternal, LGom09, Adahn, Vertti, Ohmygoditsjrod, Labadal, eot, AlphaProspector, ryanofcall, Darkness Unleashed, Tyrael, lochnesssnowman, Ronik, dot, Axass, Sendou, and Tybolt!! :D

Well, I tried. I really did but 34 is all I could manage, thanks in no small part to Ultra Street Fighter 4 and Destiny. I'll try again next year. So I can start again in like, three minutes. Happy new year everyone and well done to all who managed to complete the challenge. Hats off.

My effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom