• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 information/news thread

firex

speedpop said:
Consider it pre-cursor testing grounds for content to the eventual Dragon Quest Online!
the day that comes out is the day I probably quit WoW forever and am never heard from again.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Aeana said:
It says the stand works with both the DSi and DS Lite.
I'm going by what you said earlier!

edit: oooooooooh, you said REGULAR DS. I forgot about the old ugly model.

Aeana

Finally got some direct feed screenshots of the treasure map stuff I posted about earlier.
More here: http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/136/136258/

11.jpg
02.jpg

03.jpg
04.jpg

05.jpg
06.jpg
07.jpg

08.jpg
10.jpg

15.jpg
16.jpg
17.jpg

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'm digging what looks like auto-mapping for the dungeons. Graphics looking great as always, too. I just wish this would get here sooner.

firex

treasure maps look like a good way to keep DQ8 hiding chests in the overworld without having to physically hide chests all over the overworld. especially considering it's probably taxing enough to have to draw all the monsters that will be spawning.

Aeana

04.jpg

I posted about it before, but I'm really so happy to see the classic menu, even if it has been reorganized a bit.

Johnas

Aeana said:
Finally got some direct feed screenshots of the treasure map stuff I posted about earlier.
More here: http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/136/136258/

direct feed screens

This latest batch looks really great. The treasure hunting reminds me a little bit of Chocobo Hot and Cold, and a little bit of Wind Waker, which is a very good thing.

I just hope we get a large, expansive overworld. It's a nitpick, but I also hope it keeps the same scale when you get in the boat (like all other DQs but VIII), that was one thing about VIII that I found a little unwelcome (for the change in appearance as well as the loading involved). However, this game should also have zero in the way of loading since it's cartridge-based.

Rpgmonkey

Aeana said:
04.jpg

I posted about it before, but I'm really so happy to see the classic menu, even if it has been reorganized a bit.

av-slimearch.jpg

Huh.

But anyway, I do like the classic menu.

bounchfx said:
still undecided after they changed it back to traditional from action rpg.

action rpgs are just so much more fun :\

The Action-RPG stuff they did show off looked kinda boring to me...

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
The more I see and the more info that does the rounds, the more I'd kill to play a Dragon Quest MMO. I don't know whether that's a good or bad thing.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Hot damn, this DQ looks like a portable RPG's wet dream, what with all of the extra content (and not just in the endgame!) Sure, other previously console DQs that were ported to handhelds had certain nods to the new platform (quick saves, shrunken maps), but this is the first time a mainline DQ is developed ground up for a portable, and I'm LOVING what I'm reading!

Hobbun

bounchfx said:
still undecided after they changed it back to traditional from action rpg.

action rpgs are just so much more fun :\

Speak for yourself, I find turn-based more enjoyable.

I was like yourself and on the fence when I heard originally DQ IX was going to be an action RPG, so I am glad they turned it back to a turn-based game.

DQ is one of the few franchises that still uses turn-based combat, and it is true turnbased, while at it. I hope it always remains that way.

Llyranor

I'm interested in co-op JRPGs whether they're turn-based or real-time.

Has there been any news on whether you can control multiple characters per player. I'm assuming you can, since it can also be a singleplayer game (create 4 characters?). I'm planning on playing it 2p, so havnig 2 characters each would be neat.

Hobbun

Llyranor said:
I'm interested in co-op JRPGs whether they're turn-based or real-time.

Has there been any news on whether you can control multiple characters per player. I'm assuming you can, since it can also be a singleplayer game (create 4 characters?). I'm planning on playing it 2p, so havnig 2 characters each would be neat.

I would have to agree with those who preferred the action RPG version, it would have gone with the multi-player aspect a lot better. I have never heard of a turn-based RPG using multiplayer (except for turn-based strategy).

But really, the multi-player doesn't interest me all too much, I am only going to play DQ IX for the single player experience.

Llyranor

Multiplayer turn-based is awesome. It's in FF6 (and 9, though I never played that co-op :( ). You'd each control 2 characters, discussing tactics and yelling at each other. It makes for more interactive gaming sessions and much better than backseat gaming.

It's really too bad this doesn't have online. I'd at least have gotten another person in my party.

Hobbun

Llyranor said:
Multiplayer turn-based is awesome. It's in FF6 (and 9, though I never played that co-op :( ). You'd each control 2 characters, discussing tactics and yelling at each other. It makes for more interactive gaming sessions and much better than backseat gaming.

It's really too bad this doesn't have online. I'd at least have gotten another person in my party.

It is? I don't remember multiplayer for either.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Aeana said:
Looks like Andria Sang has been translating the various DQ9 news updates. I've summarized them all here in the thread, but for anybody who wants to see a direct translation with the screenshots in context, check it out: http://www.andriasang.com/e/articles/2009/02/02/dqix_job_change_system/

It's nice to see somebody else providing English DQ9 news. I kind of felt like I was the only one. :(
So levels DO reset. Just like in DQ3.

Hobbun

Llyranor said:
Yep yep, just set the different characters to different controllers.

Unfucking believable. I guess I can see not noticing it for IX as I haven't even finished it (about half of it). But VI, after defeating it multiple times and never noticing multiplayer. :lol

Aeana

Error said:
So levels DO reset. Just like in DQ3.

No, they don't.

Say you have warrior at level 1 and priest at level 1. You switch to warrior, and level it to 30, then switch to priest. You're now level 1. Switch back to warrior and you're level 30 again.

Should be pretty obvious from this screenshot, which shows warrior at level 32, mage at 18, martial artist at 23, thief at 9, and traveling performer at 13.

11.jpg

Aeana

Llyranor said:
Do you retain skills from previous classes?

Yes. That's one of the big things about class systems in DQ. You keep everything you learn, so you can learn heal on priest, and switch to warrior and be a warrior with heal, etc.

Hobbun

Aeana said:
Yes. That's one of the big things about class systems in DQ. You keep everything you learn, so you can learn heal on priest, and switch to warrior and be a warrior with heal, etc.

That's awesome. I believe in DQ VII your skills left you (at least some of them) when switching classes. It's great you can keep all of them.

Edit: Oh, you did a stealth edit on me. :) I thought in VII you lost some of your skills when switching classes?

Llyranor

Nice, nice. I quite like job systems usually.

I'll probably hold off on DQ5 for a while (sorry, got burnt on DQ4! though that may have been partly my own fault, but I'm not paying for the S-E tax for 5 either way this time around). I think I might even buy DQ9 first (I'll get two copies, though!). I just love co-op play, and it's not like we're drowned in turn-based co-op games nowadays.

Aeana

Hobbun said:
That's awesome. I believe in DQ VII your skills left you (at least some of them) when switching classes. It's great you can keep all of them.

Edit: Oh, you did a stealth edit on me. :) I thought in VII you lost some of your skills when switching classes?

Nope. You kept everything you learned in 7, too.

Hobbun

Llyranor said:
Nice, nice. I quite like job systems usually.

I'll probably hold off on DQ5 for a while (sorry, got burnt on DQ4! though that may have been partly my own fault, but I'm not paying for the S-E tax for 5 either way). I think I might even buy DQ9 first (I'll get two copies, though!). I just love co-op play, and it's not like we're drowned in turn-based co-op games nowadays.

We're not drowned in turn-based combat at all, unfortunately. :(

Hobbun

Llyranor said:
You need to look in the right places!

Well, we do have a decent amount coming for the DS, I will admit. However, I was more referring to this generation overall, nowhere near as much as there used to be.

Top Bottom