• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 games. 1 Year. 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiscreteCat

Neo Member
Yes! We've done so and felt it to be well worth it. What you unlock is pretty rad. I also recommend checking out the incredible New Super Luigi U DLC, as well as NSMBU's included Challenge Mode, which is tough as heck but really fun.

I loved to get them all, in co-op with my gf. Besides you're going to unlock the last few awesome secret levels that way.

I'd like to suggest you just three masterpieces everyone should play: Super Mario Galaxy (Wii, you can play it on Wii U), Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii, you can play it on Wii U), Mario Kart 8. Also you really should find a way to play Zelda OoT one day (it's on N64, on a GC collection, on the Wii Virtual Console and it was remade for 3DS).

Definitely sounds like something I will get round to at some stage then, it might have to wait until 2016 though, I've got another 51 games to finish first! Will be checking out New Super Luigi U quite soon I think. I'm pretty sure I saw that get a standalone retail release, so I can count it as a separate game with a clear conscience.

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually got the Mario Kart 8 bundle so have had a good go with that already. Absolutely beautiful game, its come a long way since my memories of playing Mario Kart 64 at a friends', graphically at least. I will add Galaxy and the Prime Trilogy to my list of games to check out when I get a chance. As for OoT, picking up a 3DS is mighty tempting at the moment, but may have to wait a while as I have spent far too much on gaming kit recently.

I think the next game on my list is going to be Rayman Legends. Heard nothing but great things and Mario has got me back in the 2D platformer groove.

maxcriden

I think the next game on my list is going to be Rayman Legends. Heard nothing but great things and Mario has got me back in the 2D platformer groove.

Discrete, do you have access to Rayman Origins (Wii)? It's way better than Legends and if you do play Legends first, please do not play the Origins levels. They're much better in their original, unaltered form. :)

Axass

I'm playing it right now, I'm not sure I agree with Max on this though. While it's true that the first one had somewhat tighter level design and controls, Legends has more variety: soccer, musical levels, more characters and settings, the old Origins levels and the touchscreen levels, which aren't that cool to play by yourself, but IMO very fun in co-op. Still haven't completed it though, so I can't pass final judgement.

DiscreteCat

Neo Member
Discrete, do you have access to Rayman Origins (Wii)? It's way better than Legends and if you do play Legends first, please do not play the Origins levels. They're much better in their original, unaltered form. :)

I'm playing it right now, I'm not sure I agree with Max on this though. While it's true that the first one had somewhat tighter level design and controls, Legends has more variety: soccer, musical levels, more characters and settings, the old Origins levels and the touchscreen levels, which aren't that cool to play by yourself, but IMO very fun in co-op. Still haven't completed it though, so I can't pass final judgement.

I did actually pick up Origins in a sale for my Vita a while back, but never got round to playing it beyond the first couple of levels or so. I'm assuming theres no major differences with the Wii version? I'll be sure to try them both out and let you guys know what you think.

maxcriden

I did actually pick up Origins in a sale for my Vita a while back, but never got round to playing it beyond the first couple of levels or so. I'm assuming theres no major differences with the Wii version? I'll be sure to try them both out and let you guys know what you think.

Axass as always makes some great points. The Legends game does have more variety in and of itself, though for me some of these changes were welcome (the musical levels) and some less so (the lowered difficulty curve). I believe Origins on Vita is supposed to be an excellent version. Regardless, since that's the first game in the current Rayman series, with Legends its sequel, I'd say there's no harm in playing Origins first on Vita, then playing Legends on Wii U.

Don't get me wrong, though, I did like Legends quite a bit. I think the challenges and musical levels, and some of the new kinds of levels, are very inventive and fun. I just felt like the difficulty curve was lessened a bit too much for getting a gold medal on a level, the more typical time trials were sorely missing (unless I'm misremembering, they were replaced with something a bit different in Legends), and the levels themselves in general did not wow me to the same degree. I dunno. I adored Origins. Legends is still a very good game, just one that didn't measure up to its predecessor for me. (BTW Axass, one of my least favorite aspects of the game is something at the very end.)

Original post

header.jpg

Completed

Game 1: Shovel Knight (WiiU)- 4:12:36 total playtime, according to the end credits.

What an amazing game. I died a total of 101 times, which is a lot I think, but that's mainly due to my lack of patience on a few levels. Even though I died a lot, I never felt the game was cheap or unfair.

The boss fights were great and the story was actually quite touching, though I won't spoil why for those who haven't played it yet. Surprisingly, the game actually has a lot of depth to it, with all of the different items and armor that can be changed on the fly.

There are also 'Feats' in the game (think trophies/achievements) for completing difficult tasks, which greatly increases the replay value. I would love to jump back in for New Game Plus, but I have to beat some other games first.

I highly recommend this game to anyone who hasn't bought it yet or is on the fence; I bought it thanks to GAF recommendation when it was on sale on the eShop earlier this month.

inFamous-Festival-of-Blood.jpg

Completed

Game 2: Infamous: Festival of Blood- 3.5 hours

Finished this one last night. I wanted to clear this from my backlog before tackling Infamous: First Light. This still holds up quite well as a standalone experience; it helps if you have played Infamous 1 or 2 before due to some dialogue with Zeke, but it's not essential to play those first. The vampire powers were pretty fun (mostly flying as a swarm of bats to cover large distances/kill enemies) but the enemy variety was pretty lame. Aside from the 'firstborn' vampires, not too many enemies present any challenge.

The final boss fight/wave was kind of boring as well; I was hoping for a big confrontation with Bloody Mary as they were hyping up her character quite a bit in the cutscenes, but nothing really happened. I did get a chuckle out of the final scene before the credits though.

Overall, not a bad way to spend a few hours, but it's hard to go back to this after playing Infamous: Second Son last year, and I'm sure that First Light willl be more impressive based on impressions I have heard so far. I would like to go back to this someday to finish up the trophies, but it can wait.

Kassu

Banned
QamHilS.jpg

Game 4: Escape Goat (PC) - 3h 18min

Decided to play through this while watching AGDQ. Graphics and game mechanics were rather simple but you don't really need more than that to make a great puzzle platformer. Game might be a bit too easy if you're really good at these games but it was perfect for my skill level and thanks to that I had more fun with this game than I usually do with other puzzle platformers.

Original post

jiggles

Banned
Original Post

Game 2: The Talos Principle
2bns54.png

This came out of nowhere for me. The Swapper was one of my favourite games in recent years, so when I heard a game just came out that the writer of that worked on, it was an instant blind buy. And it was incredible. Simple puzzle concepts taken to extreme complexities, punctuated with some existential deep-thinking. The mix between cold, logical problem-solving and philosophical wonderings was perfect to keep the brain fatigue at bay. And now that the credits have rolled I feel like my world view has been genuinely altered. Powerful fucking stuff.
If you liked Portal or The Swapper you will like this.

Original Post

Game 1: The Binding of Isaac Rebirth | January 1st - January 6th (30 hours)
I've reached a point where I could give it a completion even though I'll probably keep playing it for months to come. Amazing game with an endless stream of possible runs, and probably one of the most addicting roguelikes I've played to date.

StingX2

On a crazy roll so far

nQETjQT.jpg

Game Beaten #6 Goof Troop (SNES) - 4/5 Hours
(Started/Finished 1/6/15)

Saw the speedrun on AGDQ and got inspired to finally beat this. Took me all afternoon though lol. Not a bad game just extremely cruel with instant deaths everywhere.

OG Post

eot

Banned
Game 2: The Stanley Parable - 1 hour, Jan. 6th
I did not particularly care for this game. I know people praise the narrator, but I didn't like his delivery one bit, nor did I find the writing to be all that funny. But then I didn't like Wheatley in Portal 2 and everyone loves him too.

Sulla1980

[URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=145799233&postcount=443]Original post[/URL]

Alright, knocked out the Fall, despite what was on my original post.. (playtime says 2 hours ~ seems off)

This one was a lot of fun. The Giantbomb end of year podcast kind of spoiled the story for me, though I skipped ahead to avoid the details. Anyway, the story is good, and the puzzles were surprisingly tough. The solutions to the problems that you encounter are not obvious, due to the poor state of the area you are in.

Any more info and I would be in spoiler territory. I recommend it.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Okay i am in this challenge, let's see if i can stop playing Hearthstone enough to finish some damn games.

Game #1: Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes 1/1/15

I finished this one just as the new year happened while everyone else around was getting drunk and having a good time. Pretty good if somewhat short.

Game #2: Mass Effect 2 1/11/15

I forgot i finish my insanity playtrough this year, great game.

Game #3: Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception 1/16/15

This game was less better than 2 and kinda made no sense too in some parts, it was okay i guess but man i'm glad i got for free with PS plus.

Game #4: METAL GEAR SOLID 4 1/24/15

This game was pretty good.

Game #5: Hitman: Contracts 31/1/15

Got the platinum on this one, the game is less annoying that 2 but not by much.

Game #6: Hitman: Blood Money 2/21/15

Every time i replay this game is always a good experience.

Game #7: Torchlight 3/6/15

This game was allright i guess.

Game #8: Batman: Arkham Asylum 3/14/15

I platinumed this game, so fucking good.

Game #9: Fallout New vegas

Pretty good

Game #10: Silent Hill 3 10/10/15

Wish i played this earlier.

Game #11: Silent Hill 3 22/10/15

I platinumed my 2 year saved, cool.

Game #12: Hitman: Absolution 27/10/15

I platinumed this game in 4 days, almost wish i hadn't because the game sucks.

Game #13: Machinarium 27/10/15

I should have finished this years ago

Omega

Banned
probably a dumb question, does DLC count? Just finished Arkham Origins, might play the Cold, Cold, Heart DLC so just wondering if it counts towards the challenge

Vargavinter

fepmpc00b.jpg

Game:3 - F.e.a.r: Perseus Mandate [PC] 5 hours.

The second story expansion for F.e.a.r. It was just boring and bland with some bits of story that repeats itself from the previous games. I would skip both the expansions and just stick with F.e.a.r.

f4e1636363b77c9b1237318db69ed63119e16fb5.jpg

1. Shantae: Risky's Revenge - Director's Cut – Jan1-6 – 5.5hrs
Platformer with plot, magic, dancing and animals. Bosses are easy except for end boss. Game has four different endings (the endings are just differnent pictures of Shantae) depending on a combination of two conditions: if you finished in under 4 hours and/or collected all items. Intend to replay for the rest of the achievemtns but probably wont.

2bdfe5a272a3c12e2d12add904c92bcce1e1118e.jpg

2. Hatoful Boyfriend – Dec23-Jan10 – 13.6hrs
Visual novel that presents itself as a dating sim held at a special academy for birds. The basic lore is that birds have advanced mental capacity and humans have mostly died off. You play a human in the school for birds. The game starts off with a light tone but there are hints of something deeper in the different routes. You find out what else the school has to offer once you complete most of the routes.

21a0c80630abe3a9dceddcbc224ed6b5b763c5b9.jpg
+
capsule_184x69.jpg

3. Batman Arkham Origins + Cold, Cold, Heart DLC – Nov13-Jan15 – 35hrs
Originally started in November of 2014 but encountered a game breaking bug: the mad wouldnt update the objectives so I had no idea where to go and doors that should have been openable wouldn't open. When I decided to restart the game a few weeks later I had some reservations about the game but after finishing the story and dlc I feel that this game is superior to City. The story isn't all over the place, it isnt a pain to transverse the map, and it has the best boss encounters in the series.

659c39e8727258477a5fab408ed0cf0c79b67fbc.jpg

4. South Park™: The Stick of Truth™ – Jan13-18 – 20hrs
I've never been a big fan of RPGs because all I see in them are cluttered menus and tons of useless items that you'll always been saving until you need it (which you ever wont). As a fan of the show I assumed I would like this game despite it being an RPG and I was right. I feel the equipment menu can get cluttered if you dont store the useless items in the toybox. Game is short for an RPG and given the amount of lore and character in the SP universe I feel more could have been done with the story. It's still very enjoyale and the combat is reminiscent of the Mario & Luigi rpgs.

9193816dc18df31ee0cd45c74429fb12541ad5e6.jpg

5. Saints Row: Gat out of Hell – Jan20-26 – 20hrs
I'm glad I only paid $5 for this. I've been a huge SR fan since playing the first game and after SR4 I was hungry for more and curious where the story would go. The story had potential but it's very very very short- 2 hours at most, i spent 20 hours because 100%ing the game is very tedious. The rest of of the game is composed of diversions/activities from the previous games with a few twists. This game really is filler which is a shame considering Hell has some nice areas to explore but there really isnt any reason to explore. The super powers you get and some of the weapons were great additions.

05670dbb3b942f848b6c2618e393b6016958130b.jpg

6. Super Toy Cars – Jan27-28 – 4.5hrs
The soundtrack is so annoying and unfitting for this game. Short kart racer with weapons/turbo with top-down mode if you want your micro machines fix. Would be fun with friends. Online is dead. Get it in a bundle.

b5d8c9ede3a6ebef70cb3def342fe4bef73227c5.jpg

7. Stick it to the Man – Jan31-Feb3 – 4.9hrs
Short puzzle platformer with inconsequential puzzles and platorming. The humorous writing is where this game shines.

16eb0cc15cde07377c0cb3bffa6d92bbc6dd72b2.jpg

8. Alice Madness Returns – Feb4-11 – 19hrs
3d platformer where you recover Alice's memories. Nice atmosphere but do the chapters just drag. Chapters 2 and 3 are the most obvious examples as they have you repeat the same sequence three times over. Enjoyable in parts but if you try to complete a chapter in one session you'll find it will become a chore.

4a30b9d0a8b6e7287f2b617dd28dce6910aeafe8.jpg

9. Kingdom Rush – Dec6-Feb10 – 21hrs
Tower Defense game with temporary assists and a mobile hero. The enemy paths are always predetermined with 4 basic tower types each with 2 different final upgrades. Some maps can be quite challenging even with lowered difficulty settings.

ea60dcb1d2894b60197da68f841fd41004fbdd89.jpg

10. Defense Grid 2 – Dec20-Feb22 – 18hrs
Sequel to one of the best tower defense games. It's essentially more of the same improves in some areas but is worse in others. Recommend to tower defense fans but get the original if you don't have it.

92db8bb5a5f230d7dad9e8624221beba3797edb1.jpg

11. Back to Bed – Feb26-Mar2 – 2hrs
Back to Bed is a rather underwhelming and short puzzle game. You play as a dreamy creature that has to guide Bob to the exit by clearing the path of obstacles and making sure he doesn't fall off the stage. There's little, if any, challenge in any of the 30 normal stages. It only presents a challenge when you unlock Nightmare mode (after beating normal mode) which is just the same 30 levels but you have to collect keys instead of just getting to the exit. Nightmare mode should have been normal mode. It has a nice presentation that's a mix of Dali X Escher but other than that meh.

2ab620349a9efef60523e04f9d0fd9f8bb807e0e.jpg

12. DmC Devil May Cry – Feb14-Mar7 – 19hrs
Never played any of the other DMCs so I have no bias against this game. The story isn't compelling and doesn't take itself seriously, game is filled with cheesey dialogue and "edgy" moments. I had fun with the combat but the game felt a bit easy on "nephilim/hard" difficulty- i'm not that great at character action games I found Killer Is Dead and Bayonetta to be more difficult. I enjoyed my time with the game but there were some filler missions: "make your way here, destroy an object, trigger cutscene, repeat" . Not bad but not great.

78ca4e28c36df80deac8f3c6499ce4e0c0d5a821.jpg

13. The Wolf Among Us – Mar8-9 – 10hrs
Point-n-click with branching dialogue which is par-the-course for Teltale. I've never read/heard of Fables until this game. I got hooked on the game almost immediately. Much better than Walking Dead S2 and has a great aesthetic. Want Season 2 now.

capsule_184x69.jpg

14. Tallowmere - Mar10-14 – 11.5hrs
A neverending 2d side scrolling rougelite where you proceed to the next room by picking up a key that a random enemy drops. It's perfect for quick sessions but after a while it begins to feel tedious. There are melee and ranged weapons with a variety of enemies that attack in different ways. As the game goes on you have to think about your approach before attacking otherwise you'll die quickly. I "finished" the game after making it to level 30 something because I saw everything the game had to offer.

capsule_184x69.jpg

15. Guacamelee - Gold Edition - Mar17-20 - 17.8hrs
Metroidvania with melee attacks only. Got hooked on this game instantly. Has a nice art style but for some reason there's a bunch of references to internet memes in the background. Dunno why the devs put those there as it breaks the immersion of the game and constantly reminds you that you're playing a game for "gamerz."

capsule_184x69.jpg

16. Spoiler Alert - Mar17-19 - 3.6hrs
Autoscrolling platformer the goes in reverse. The game is pretty much a one trick pony as it never expands beyond the initial concept of jump and "shoot". If you screw up you create a time paradox and must restart. Some stages require trial and error and until you figure out how to solve it. At least it's short.

capsule_184x69.jpg

17. Lexica - Feb13-Mar22 - 30hrs
Sudoku + Word jumbles. Game is great for short breaks I did encounter a bug where the game wouldnt register my mouse click until i clicked on another tile.

capsule_184x69.jpg

18. BANZAI PECAN: The Last Hope For the Young Century - Mar24-26 - 4.8hrs
Kusoge. Deviantart sprites and poor combat.

capsule_184x69.jpg

19. Pyrite Heart - Mar26 - 1hr
Short otome vn with only two routes which are obvious. I bought it mainly for the cards.

capsule_184x69.jpg

20. Cahors Sunset - Mar30 - 1hr
It's like Long Live The Queen except you're an old guy. Character's backstory gets revealed while you make decisions that affect the present. Linear story if you survive long enough that the backstory gets told then you just try to live for as long as possible. Meh.

23fca16e3df2ed731136574b320988406eb0f712.jpg

21. Shovel Knight - Jan29-Apr2 - 25hrs
Platformer with 8-bit aesthetic. It's kind of like Mega Man with an overworld map except you dont get weapons from bosses but you can buy a weapon from a dealer in each bosses stage. Shoveling. Shovels. Game didn't click with me initially but eventually found my groove.

d7e4cec47a01b6e913e495450be669c4997d0a17.jpg

22. Never Alone (Kisima Ingitchuna) - Apr2-3 - 3.5hrs
Short side scrolling platformer with local co-op option. Since I have no friend I played solo. Some puzzles would have been easier with a player 2. Q.Q Puzzles are fun nothing too challenging in this game but very well made and nice to look at. Also there are baby polar bears.

e277ab70fff98bb2300a39bf8e2371a746fe50b1.jpg

23. Resident Evil 5 - Mar28-Apr16 - 25hrs
Action. Boulders. Complete global saturation. Sheva gets herself killed. Not scary. Originally played on consoles in 2008. PC version looks nicer. Bad Resident Evil game.

fa365169a56d56aaf72fe5b3fe47335c358c4fb9.jpg

24. HuniePop - Apr25-July26 - 65hrs
Match-3 game/dating sim. The match-3 aspect is very challenging once you unlock alpha mode. The dating sim part is just fan-service.

dc60a71443f9a76cdd01e96423c4f9e533d8a542.jpg

25. Momodora III - May3-4 - 3.5hrs
Short platformer that i guess is similar to cave story. Great controls and nice challenge. Will wait for Momodora IV

capsule_184x69.jpg

26. One Manga Day - May 4 - 46min

capsule_184x69.jpg

27. Freedom Planet - Dec22-May6 - 8hrs
This is a good game but I did not enjoy it as much as i thought I would. I don't know why but it never really clicked.

capsule_184x69.jpg

28. Grave Prosperity: Redux- part 1 - May8 - 87min
Reminisent of early survival horror games including "bad" controls and weird camera angles. It touts having deep combat mechanics but it's just mash a button, wait, get your spacing right, repeat. Did I mention tedious combat. I'm intersted in part2 if the combat is improved.

capsule_184x69.jpg

29. Dead Space 2 - Apr17-May13 - 18hrs

30. Defend Your Life - Apr17-Jun6 25hrs
Tower defense with a hero. Nothing special, just play Kingdom Rush.

31. Double Dragon Neon - May14-17 - 6hrs
Solid beat-em up with some good music. Some forgetable music too. Overall forgetable

32. NOT A HERO - May14-16 - 10hrs
One of the best games I've played this year. Some call it a side-scrolling Hotline Miami. I call it GOTY 2015

33. Westerado: Double Barreled - Apr16-May22 - 10hrs
Open-world western game that started out as a flash game. It's like RDR but better.

34. Mind Path to Thalamus - May26-Aug16 - 8hrs
nice puzzles but your walk speed is so slow that it makes the exploration feel tedious.

35. The Binding of Isaac: Eternal Edition - May29-Jun10 - 236hrs
The new update breathes life into this version and greatly increases the game's difficulty. It also gave me a reason to 100% the game by picking up achievemnts I missed before I shelved this game in 2013.

36. Date Warp - Dec28-Jun15 - 8hrs
Otome vn with obvious routes and shoed in puzzle mechanic to make your decisions. Interesting story with questionable character art.

37. Metal Slug X - Jun15 - 2hrs
umm it's metal slug

38. Spermination - Jun21 - 20min
worst game i've played and only game I have refunded on steam. Horrible UI. It's a "racing" game with some shooting mechanics similar to tie-fighting. There is no indication of your speed you steer and aim with the mouse so shooting is pointless as it causes you to veer off track. After each race you get money to upgrade, better engines, better guns, shield. You move left/right on the options and confirm to buy. If you dont have enough money to buy an engine upgrade and you dont move back to the default engine when you select to go race the game tells you you don't have enough money to buy that engine. that bug only occurs on the engine option and no other ones. i've written too much on this shit game.

39. The Reject Demon: Toko Chapter 0 - Prelude - Aug28 - 3hrs
a lot of yuri

40. Sword of Asumi - Jul6 - 3hrs
not bad, not good. ninja assassin goes undercover in a school for gifted warrior to take down an evil plan by rouge group that are members of the school.

41. Discouraged Workers Jul7-cont - 2hrs
early access: translation still rough. ui needs work. good story. has been steady updates some content addition but mostly translation and bug fixes.

42. Sakura Angels - 6hrs
umm it's shiny and shallwo

43. Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds - 5hrs
cute beat-em up. satisfying combat. needs online co-op

44. Shadow Warrior - 36hrs
too many chapters. fun to play. insane mode can be frustrating. underwhelming ended.

45. Metal Slug 3 - 6hrs
umm it's metal slug

46. Nekopara Vol.0 - 1.5hrs
I dont really care for catgirls but this one is more entertaining than vol1.

47. Sakura Fantasy Ch. 1 - 5hrs
An actual decent story from Winged Cloud with gratutious fan service. Ch.2 pls.

48. Letter Quest: Grimm's Journey - 31hrs
word jumbles with rpg elements. addictive but tiresome in long sessions.

49. Forward to the Sky - 3hrs
short and easy action platformer with (unintentionally) funny VOs and loli saber

50. Hello Kitty and Sanrio Friends Racing - 2hrs
i had more fun with this kart racer than I should have. i think it was a ds port and it shows in the graphics and sounds. when you drift while in a boat the game makes a tire screeching sound.

51. Party Hard - 10hrs
one of the more enjoyable games I played. some good music and some forgettable. It can get on your nerves when you spend 15 minutes clearing most of the room and then something goes awry and you have to start all over again. Good game with minor flaws

52. Hotline Miami - 11hrs
It took a few missions for everything to click but once I did the game became frustratingly enjoyable. Not hard just requires some foresight.

53. Hotline Miami 2 - 16hrs
Found it more enjoyable than the first. Better music, better gore/weapons. Story got more convoluted compared to the first.

54. Dropsy - 9hrs

55. Vanishing of Ethan Carter Redux - 6hrs

56. Nekopara Vol1

57. Sakura Beach

58. DreadOut

59. Resident Evil Revelations

60. Pretty Girls Mahjong Solitaire

I'm in! Maybe I can plow through some of my backlog.

Girls_Gift_RPG_trailer

Game 1: Toshin Toshi Girls Gift RPG - Abandoned at 10 hours
Superb art style, some dungeon crawling, waifus (and monster girl waifus), not *too* pervy. Got to a point where I have to grind, and I'm not going to be doing that. It was fun, but I'm not invested in the story enough to mindlessly grind.

header.jpg

Game 2: Ziggurat - "Finished" at 2 hours
Roguelite wizard FPS - quite an enjoyable experience, though I had to change the difficulty to easy to 'beat' it. Just not good at FPS. Won't continue, I have too many games to play, and I think Isaac is better suited for me.

header.jpg

Game 3: The Binding of Isaac:Rebirth - "Finished" at 5 hours
I enjoyed the original enough, but didn't get very far/lost data with flash. Played a lot over the last couple days and really had quite a bit of fun. The idea of having to beat Mom's heart 10x does not sound like fun though, so I'm out.

Fables_Telltale_Logo.png

Game 4: The Wolf Among Us - Finished at 7 hours
My goodness. I thought this was going to be some crappy game after my experiences being bored to death with the Telltale BttF games, but after seeing the rave reviews I bought it on a whim. So glad I picked it up - seeing how all sorts of characters from my childhood (and ones I never knew existed) interact in a modern setting is super interesting, and the twists in the plot were great.

header.jpg

Game 5: Lichdom: Battlemage - Abandoned at 30 minutes
I really thought I would enjoy the idea of a FPS mage game after Ziggurat, but it feels really slow and clunky. I'm not interested in the generic protagonist and his quips, and the story hasn't hooked me either.

header.jpg

Game 6: Lords of the Fallen - Abandoned at 4 hours
2 hours in it scratched my itch for a Souls game, and 4 hours in I realized how frustrating the game was compared to a Fromsoft game. I'm glad I tried it, but combat/ambiance/story are just not the same which is, for me, bad. Just bland and frustrating. Hopefully they fix stuff for the second one.

header.jpg

Game 7: Batman Arkham Origins - Abandoned at 80 minutes
It's more of the same. Story is not compelling. Don't get me wrong, I loved AA and AC, but this just seems like AC DLC. I really hope AK spruces things up.

%E3%83%81%E3%82%A7%E3%82%A4%E3%83%B3%E3%82%AF%E3%83%AD%E3%83%8B%E3%82%AF%E3%83%AB640.jpg

Game 8: Chain Chronicle
Wow, really fun gameplay, usage of every cellphone game addiction trick in the book, and nice artwork.

header.jpg

Game 9: Analogue: A Hate Story - Finished at 3 hours
Ever since playing Digital: A Love Story I had longed for this type of interactive computer visual novel. Obviously by the same person, and while I'm not super knowledgeable about Korean culture, it was well put together. Admittedly I got really confused with all the names though. Story-wise, it was super.

header.jpg

Game 10: Hate Plus - Finished at 4 hours
Wow a direct continuation of Analogue (even uses your save file!). Having to actually wait an entire day to continue threw me the hell off at first, but somehow it's a really neat idea. Now I have a reason to come back and play it every day instead of rushing through it in one sitting, and my decisions on which files to decrypt kind of matter. Edit: Not as good as Analogue. I honestly probably could have gone without playing it and have been fine how Analogue ended.

Heroes_of_the_Storm_logo.png

Game 11: Heroes of the Storm
I really don't like twitch pvp. Competition has never been my game. I am, however, having a decent amount of fun vs. bots which is nice.

header.jpg

Game 12: XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Abandoned at 2 hours
I loved FF Tactics, I loved Valkyria chronicles, I loved the few hours of FE:pOR I've played. But I can't get into this. Maybe it's lacking anime visuals and that's what gets me. Or maybe I'm just not into aliens. It just feels clunky.

logo.jpg

Game 13: Xenosaga Episode III: Also Sprach Zarathustra - Finished at 20+ hours
What a crazy blast from the past. I remember playing Xenosaga ep.1 right before I entered high school. I bought ep.3 at launch but only got a few hours in - after studying Japanese in high school I couldn't stand the English dub, and I heard it had been censored too. Thank goodness for undubs. My real push for playing this is so I can play Project X-Zone, and while there's no real relation - Xenoblade X. edit: finished - You can really see how they cut this down from the originally planned 6ish games. Ending was weird. I'm glad to have finally finished this saga (ohoho).

psd_metadata_templates_psp2.png

Game 14: P3P - Finished at 24 hours+
Seeing as most of the games I play are RPGs, this year is going to be slow going. I've tried to get into P3 forever (only getting a few hours in), and now with P5 announced I really need to go 3-4-5. Kind of want to play as the FeMC because she's adorable, but as I'm not planning on playing this more than once I'm probably going to stick with the MC as he's canon (and gotta get those waifus). No guides, super easy mode, final destination.
edit: I ended up getting stuck, so watched the last hour or so of story on youtube (no regrets). Really glad to have finally played through this, though kind of burnt out. I'll have to play something else before I jump into p4g.

Persona-4-Golden-Featured-Logo.jpg

Game 15: P4G - 1 hour
Just kidding. I went into a serious funk after finishing P3P that is apparently only being cured by P4G. I'll have the P4 fighting games, PQ, and Dancing All Night to hold me over until P5 thank goodness. My GOD the music. Shoji Meguro is out of this world. I had P3 music in my head for days, and now it'll be P4. I will be playing with a guide, I don't have the luxury of time to play an 80 hour RPG more than once. I'm treating it more like a visual novel where all I want is the true 100% route and I'll be damned if I have to redo parts of it.

heroes_logo.png

Game 16: Heroes Charge - Dropped
Oh god why. I saw this on Giant Bomb's commercials thing, and tried it out. It's quite addictive for being such a crappy game haha. They give you so much stuff for being F2P and I think that helps. I like equipping stuff, and am currently hoarding the premium gems to get the extra pull. Also WoW ripoffs everywhere.

vc3logo-640x250.jpg

Game 17: Valkyria Chronicles 3 - Abandoned at 5 hours
After playing some of 2 and not particularly liking any of the protagonists, I've opted to skip to 3. Also since Valkyria Duel is shutting down there's not much reason to connect with the characters anymore. Fortunately from what I've played so far, VC3 is looking good, but I still curse Sega for downgrading the franchise to PSP.
edit: I feel like dirt for dropping this game. And yet I can't force myself to play it anymore. It's no different than VC1, graphics are poorer, reused maps EVERYWHERE. I still love the franchise, but I probably won't be touching this unless they remaster it.

meta: I don't know what's wrong with me. In getting older obviously my tastes have changed, and perhaps a lot of it is having too many choices. I remember replaying games when I was a kid because I only had a few, but now I balk at the idea. Interestingly enough, all the games I played as a kid were platformers. Maybe I need to pick up a Wii U.

dark_souls_logo.jpg

Game 18: Dark Souls - 5 hours
A replay of Dark Souls, as Play-Asia has decided that a hop-skip-jump from Hong Kong to Japan takes more than 11 days to ship Bloodborne to me.

Arion

Original post

Game 1: The Wolf Among Us - 8 hours
The game shines where it needs to. The story, voice acting and characters are all superb. The moral dilemmas along the way are gripping and i am constantly second guessing my self. The art style has a neon drenched noir look to it which is awesome. The game play is the same as all telltale games at the core of which is the dialog options which are very well done. Ultimately your choices will not change the story that much but the ride is still enjoyable despite being linear.

Game 2: Vanquish - 8 hours
Another incredible action game from Platinum and Shinji Mikami. This game starts at 11 and only gets higher. Its easy to understand why it is regarded as the best third person shooter of the generation. The gameplay is fast and brutal. The weapons are all satisfying to use and the mobility is very much appreciated. The enemy design are all great especially the boss fights. There are some awesome set piece moments, some scripted but also some organically created by the players. The combat has a lot of depth and playing around with the different melee attacks is really fun. The upgrade system encourages perfectionist playthroughs although there isn't much reason to experiment with the different weapons unless just for style points.

Game 3: Luftrausers - 6 hours
Really fun and simple game but also very challenging. The music is really damn good and the way it changes is also very impressive. There is a lot of variety to customizing your plane which change the gameplay drastically. A great game to play while listening to podcasts.

Zeranium

Original Post
Game 2.) Costume Quest 2 (PSN)
Finished on 1/04 - 7 Hours 55 Minutes
Finished every quest, collected every Costume, Creepy Treat Card and got every trophy (including "Hardcorn Mode")
Felt like more of the same but I didn't mind since I really enjoyed the first Costume Quest. I was happy to see the return of Wren, Reynold and the rest of the characters. I think I prefer the first just a hair over this one though.

Game 3.) Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable (Vita)
Finished on 1/05 - 9 Hours 36 Minutes - Storm Class [Normal]
All 60 Missions finished on Normal. Unlocked Pale Wing plan on playing it on and off on the other difficulties. Loved it as much as I did on the 360

Spyware

As you can see in my main post I breezed through five games in the first two days but have not updated since. It's been a weird week.

Anyways, I remembered that I have borrowed a couple of games from a friend and even tho there's no time limit I think I wanna get them finished sooner rather than later. It's already been months so I feel pretty bad about it!
Started the first game in that pile yesterday and finished it today. One down and eight to go! I'll probably start the sequel tonight or tomorrow.

d8q1AqR.jpg

01-07-15 - Game 6: Another Code: Two Memories - 8-ish hours perhaps?
Find daddy in the mysterious mansion and figure out what happened 11 years ago.
I think I expected a slower and more obtuse game since I had only played Hotel Dusk from Cing before. That game was a bit annoying when it came to the puzzles. This was actually too easy. Didn't have to think much at all, mostly just click on stuff and run around. It feels a bit dragged out due to the two main characters not putting two and two together. Every other word in the dialogue is "Ashley" but otherwise it's a quite enjoyable story :p I liked D's story way more than Ashley's tho and I'm glad I got the good ending.

Currently playing:
Mario Kart 8
Pokémon FireRed (Teamlocke)

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
kinoki - 36/52 Games​

GAME #1: Dragon Age Inquisition (2014)
| Rating: ★★★ | Platform: PS4 | Developer: Bioware |

GAME #2: The Yawhg (2013)
| Rating: ★★★★ | Platform: PC | Developer: Damian Sommer, Emily Carroll |

GAME 3: Mountain (2014)
| Rating: ★★★ | Platform: PC | Developer: David O'Reilly |

GAME #4: 80 Days (2014)
| Rating: ★★★★ | Platform: iOS | Developer: inkle |

GAME #5: Destiny (2014)
| Rating: ★★★★ | Platform: PS4 | Developer: Bungie |

GAME #6: InFamous: First Light (2014)
| Rating: ★★★ | Platform: PS4 | Developer: Sucker Punch Productions |

GAME #7: Costume Quest 2 (2014)
| Rating: ★★½ | Platform: PS4 | Developer: Double Fine Productions |

GAME #8: The Walking Dead: Season Two (2014)
| Rating: ★★★ | Platform: PC | Developer: Telltale Games |

GAME #9: Framed (2014)
| Rating: ★★★ | Platform: iOS | Developer: Loveshack |

GAME #10: Alien: Isolation (2014)
| Rating: ★★½ | Platform: PS4 | Developer: The Creative Assembly |

GAME #11: Farm Heroes Saga (2014)
| Rating: ★★★ | Platform: iOS | Developer: King.com Limited |

GAME #12: Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (2014)
| Rating: ★★★½ | Platform: PS4 | Developer: Crystal Dynamics, Nixxes Software |

GAME #13: Home (2014)
| Rating: ★★ | Platform: PS4 | Developer: Benjamin Rivers |

GAME #14: Crash Team Racing (1999)
| Rating: ★★★½ | Platform: PS1 | Naughty Dog |

GAME #15: Neverending Nightmares (2014)
| Rating: ★★★ | Platform: PC | Developer: Infinitap Games, LLC. |

GAME #16: Metal Gear Solid V: Grounds Zeroes (2014)
| Rating: ★★★ | Platform: PS4 | Developer: Kojima Productions |

GAME #17: Driveclub (2014)
| Rating: ★★★★ | Platform: PS4 | Developer: Evolution Studios |

GAME #18: Little Big Planet 3 (2014)
| Rating: ★★★ | Platform: PS4 | Developer: Sumo Digital |

GAME #19: Grim Fandango: Remastered (2015/1998)
| Rating: ★★★★★ | Platform: PS4 | Developer: Double Fine/LucasArts |

GAME #20: Cookie Clicker (2013)
| Rating: ★★★½ | Platform: Browser | Developer: Ortail |

GAME #21: Clicker Heroes (2014)
| Rating: ★★½ | Platform: PC | Developer: Playsaurus |

GAME #22: The Order | 1886 (2015)
| Rating: ★★★★ | Platform: PS4 | Developer: Ready at Dawn |

GAME #23: Thirty Flights of Loving (2012)
| Rating: ★★★ | Platform: PC | Developer: Blendo Games |

GAME #24: Gravity Bone (2008)
| Rating: ★★★ | Platform: PC | Developer: Blendo Games |

GAME #25: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (2014)
| Rating: ★★★½ | Platform: PC | Developer: The Astronauts |

GAME #26: Broken Age (2015)
| Rating: ★★★ | Platform: PC | Developer: Double Fine |

GAME #27: Journey (2015)
| Rating: ★★★★★ | Platform: PS4 | Developer: thatgamecompany, Tricky Pixel |

GAME #28: Banished (2014)
| Rating: ★★★★ | Platform: PC | Developer: Shining Rock Software |

GAME #29: Dreamfall: Chapters Book One: Reborn (2015)
| Rating: ★★★★ | Platform: PC | Developer: Red Thread |

GAME #30: Shelter (2013)
| Rating: ★★★½ | Platform: PC | Developer: Might and Delight |

GAME #31: Heroes of Might and Magic III HD (2015/1999)
| Rating: ★★★★★ | Platform: PC | Developer: DotEmu, New World Computing |

GAME #32: Life is Strange - Episode 1: Chrysalis (2015)
| Rating: ★★★★ | Platform: PS4 | Developer: Dontnod Entertainment |

GAME #33: Rocket League (2015)
| Rating: ★★★★½ | Platform: PS4 | Developer: Psyonix |

GAME #34: Limbo (2015)
| Rating: ★★★ | Platform: PS4 | Developer: PLAYDEAD |

GAME #35: Bloodborne (2015)
| Rating: ★★★★½ | Platform: PS4 | Developer: FROM Software |

GAME #36: Her Story (2015)
| Rating: ★★★★ | Platform: PC | Developer: Sam Barlow |

GAME #37: Destiny: The Taken King (2015)
| Rating: ★★★★ | Platform: PS4 | Developer: Bungie |

★ = Bad, ★★ = Okay, ★★★ = Good, ★★★★ = Very good, ★★★★★ = Brilliant

See also:
50 books. 50 Movies. 2015.

Kifimbo

Game 2: Sneaky Sneaky (PC) - 4 hours
Won this in the Steam thread (thanks again JaseC). It's a pretty simple and straightfoward 2D stealth game, with a turn-based twist when you're detected. Best part of the game is the artstyle. Game is pretty and charming, but the main character lacks personality. Level design is too simple and there isn't a lot of variety. Same comment for the enemy. I found the second world tougher than the third and last world, which was a bit disappointing. Wait for a price drop.

Original post

Game #2:

header.jpg

Platform: Steam
Duration: Started 1/4/15 - 1/7/15
Completed: 9 hours
Thoughts: While it didn't make me too emotional like some folks who have played this game, I still thought this was a sweet game with some great narrative and a lovely soundtrack. I would love to see more adventures featuring Dr. Eva Rosaline and Dr. Neil Watts. I thought they made a great duo. Definitely play this game if you want a captivating tale.

Game #3 is going to be something I've been wanting to get into in 2014:

mainArt.jpg

I will be streaming this so if interested, follow my Twitch channel.

Jame Retief

Neo Member
Update...
Game 01: Puzzle Quest-Challenge of the Warlords Completed 1-8-15

This game is a great hybrid of an RPG and a match 3 game. The RPG elements blend very well with the puzzles and provides an immense amount of variety in how you can choose to play the puzzle aspect. It's deceptively addicting. About the only qualm I have with the game is the lack of consequence when capturing cities for income. Whether friend or foe, there were no story based consequences to laying siege to the cities. With the amount of detail the developers put into integrating the RPG elements it seems to be a missed opportunity. Highly recommended.

Be warned though, definitely not a short game if you go in blind. I started at the end of last year and put in about 70 hours of actual playtime.

Game 1: State of Decay - 70 hours

I could claim that I have "completed" this multiple times although I have not completed the story once because I completely re-started every time I stupidly got one of my favourite characters killed. I won't though. I obviously found much to enjoy here given the hours played but ultimately the design decisions due to it being story driven wore down my enthusiasm as it was not flexible enough to allow me to play it the way I wanted to play it. I intend to re-play it at some point and shall try to play it as the devs intended and shall try the DLC too.

Game 2: LYNE - 4 hours

My initial enjoyment has worn off and I'm just not enjoying it anymore :(. It feels more like work than play so time to move on. Shame, as I like the gameplay but I'm not going to force myself to continue if I'm not really enjoying it. I shall go back to it at some stage but it's not a good time for me to be playing this right now.

Game 3: Super Meat Boy - 3 hours

Twitch gaming like this is my personal gaming kryptonite :(. I can easily see how this game is so adored though. I'm stuck at the first boss and just don't have it in me to persevere until I complete it right now. I shall try again sometime when I feel robust enough in myself to deal with the constant failure.

Game 4: Bridge it (plus) - 1 hour

More enjoyable than I expected but I'm stuck at a particular bridge and don't have the enthusiasm to persevere right now. I may pick it up again or may well not.

Game 5: Year Walk - 1 hour

I thought I would love this :/. Sadly I can't get past the fact that it was clearly designed for a touch interface before being ported to pc. It works okay in that regard but I would much rather play it on its native format.

Game 6: Captain Toad - 12 hours

Utterly charming and a pleasure to play. A lovely game to play a few levels here and there. The Captain Toad levels were my favourite parts of SM3DW so this game was a joy. It has even tempted me to go back to SM3DW which I did not take to anywhere near as much as I expected to after adoring SM3DL [100 odd hours].
Heh, that post credits sequence has really encouraged me now! Oh alright Captain Toad, you are too cute to refuse! I have no idea what they are hinting at so I hope it's good! I hope it's not just them saying that this game preceeded SM3DW with no new content as I would be :(

Game 7: Art of Balance [Wii U] - 5 hours

The original was one of my favourite WiiWare games and the 3DS iteration less so due to the camera but this was well worth it even though it is essentially more of the same with knobs on. I have not 100%ed it but got my money's worth of fun from it and will dip in for a few levels every so often when the mood takes me.

Game 8: Pokemon Alpha Sapphire - 212 hours

My first pokemon game since Red/Blue/Yellow and a big surprise since I never intended to play another one. However, Nintendo pushed a demo to my 3DS so I had a play out of curiosity and was completely sucked in again. The presentation, especially the animation of the pokemon blew me away. Once that sheen faded though it was the same old pokemon that I played obsessively as a thirty something, 20 odd years ago. That's both a good and bad thing for me since it speaks to the obsessive part of me just as Monster Hunter does. 212 hours in a month later my right forearm is pretty buggered though so it's time to put it to one side and move on to something else! I'll probably dip in to it still but not for hours on end like I have been doing.

Game 9: Starfox 64 3D - 2 hours

I almost feel a fraud adding this as this game is pretty much endlessly re-playable so one never really finishes it. However, a quick blast through the story mode with the more stable 3D effect on the New 3DS + re-plays are allowed ITT = thread +1 GET! :) Classic game obv. and as one of my favourite N64 games the nostalgia feels are wonderful.

Game 10: Pilotwings Resort - 3 hours

Another quick blast through an older game to better enjoy it with more stable 3D. All missions completed. Can I be arsed to get 3 stars in each and do everything else the game offers? No, I cannot. Still a fun game though. Plus, any game that reminds me of the wonderful Pilotwings 64 is a win in my book :).

Game 11: Luigi's Mansion 2 - 22 hours

I have mixed feelings about this one. I originally played it on my old 3DS but struggled to get into it. In hindsight I think my very fond memories of the Gamecube original meant that I was subconsciously comparing this unfavourably to it. I got stuck on the first boss, restarted it several times and then just decided I wasn't really enjoying it enough so set it aside. I decided to try again with my new 3DS and the improved 3D definitely helped as I enjoyed it far more. The reduced expectations given my earlier play of it probably helped even more. Until I got to the last few missions that is. Those proved to be more of an exercise of endurance than fun. Shame. I did finish this one though and the positives far outweighed the negatives for me but it wasn't the unqualified success I thought it was going to be. I would play another Next Level Luigi's Mansion though preferably on the Wii U as it would be a more comfortable experience. My hands, wrists and forearms are still to fully recover from 200+ hours of Pokemon AS in one month :/.

Game 12: Pokemon Link Battle! - 2 hours

Bought on the eShop whilst drunk :/ as I am really enjoying Pokemon Shuffle and not the best decision. It's too fast paced for my old man brain and I don't know what type 99% of the pokemans are :/. Oh well, I'll try it again in a few years when my pokemon knowledge is up to par.

Game 13: Bit.Trip Saga (3DS) - < 1 hour

Horrible controls :(. I'll stick to the Wii version [which I have] thanks. Oh well, a sale purchase on a whim fail.

Game 14: Art of Balance Touch! - 3 hours

Easily the weakest of the three iterations of this fine game. A capricious camera that chooses to zoom in at the most inauspicious time coupled with the top of the screen that likes to think that it is a solid object leading to many fallen pieces and thus fails = ugh. Add on some obnoxious levels of bloom and some nasty roadblock puzzles and this is one game I won't be rushing to go back to again.

Game 15: Wakedas - 2 hours

It was on sale for pennies and the demo was fun so why not? I easily got my money's worth and will go back to it when I feel like giving the Rubik's Cube part of my brain a workout.

[B[Game 16: Jett Rocket II - < 1 hour[/B]

I enjoyed the first game but just wasn't feeling this despite enjoying the demo. I'll probably try it again another time and love it but have no interest in playing it right now.

Game 17: 3D Classics Excitebike - < 1 hour

Using a dpad to move in a '3D] plane is one of my biggest gaming hates. The circle pad is even worse here given the difficulty in using it for precise movements. Oh well, the 3D effect was nice and it was free.

Game 18: Mario Vs Donkey Kong - 1 hour

I have restarted this game multiple times both on GBA and 3DS and really enjoy it initially but then completely lose interest :/.

Game 19: Mario Vs Donkey Kong 2, March of the Minis - 6 hours?

Now this is more like it! I just finished this after blasting through it in only 3 days. Now on to the DSiWare game in this series.

Game 20: Tetris DS - 2 hours?

I re-bought this recently on a whim. I think this is the third time I have owned a copy of this game. Now I remember why I didn't keep it previously :/. I am all Tetris'd out after the GBC and N64 games. I love the idea of the Nintendo-isation of it much more than the reality since I'm too busy looking at the tetriminos to enjoy all the fan service. I'm tempted to give this copy of the game away but I suppose I had better hold onto it for the next time I get a hankering to play it.

* :eek: + \o/ if you know which podcast that is from! :p

Game #3: Elite Beat Agents (DS)- Started 1-6-15 Completed 1-8-15 Time spent:2:15
Really fun portable rhythm game, has a great comic book style cutscenes, a fairly good song selection from bands like Queen, Earth, Wind and Fire, Rolling Stones etc.. The game is a must have for your DS library.

Original Post

Synth

Original Post

Dear Esther
header.jpg

Criteria: Standard game completion.
Time played: 1 hour.

Well, this was different. I didn't really know what to expect with this one, but whatever I was thinking really wasn't anything like what I got. I think this game (if I'd even call it that) is a really interesting experience, but not really my kinda thing. I did spend longer thinking about what I had just played than the time I spent actually playing it, which is impressive in itself I guess. I'm not actually sure that I feel the game actually benefits from interactivity to be honest. There were a few times where I walked off in a direction that ultimately led me to a dead end, and experience a surprising feeling of dread at the thought of having to slowly trudge my way back to find the correct path. Part of me feels like this is the sort of experience that would be best served b VR, but on the other hand I keep thinking that the lack of control I felt over my character's movements would become even more jarring if I were to be completely immersed in the game visually. You're given just enough control over your character in order to be frustrated by the actions you cannot make.

Game 5: Bastion - 3.8 hours - January 8th, 2014
O7C2BEn.png

I had started this game a year or two ago and never really got into the groove of it. I think I stopped after about two and half hours. A friend had been bugging me to finish it recently, so I finally gave in and restarted. I think I actually breezed through and skipped some stuff like the Proving Grounds, but really I had a great time. I'm a terrible PC gamer, because what finally drew me in was playing with a PS3 controller. The PC controls had been so clunky that they turned me off. The game is gorgeous, has an amazing atmosphere, decent story and a really fantastic OST. If it's sitting uplayed in your library (like it was mine), go play it. - 8/10

Game 6: Dysfunctional Systems: Learning to Manage Chaos - 1.8 hours - January 8th, 2014
SKkXJZL.png

This was an interesting little VN. Short, but it has a decent enough concept. It's a shame that the Kickstarter was cancelled and refunded, because this could have been mildly interesting. It's a bit weird that one story-branch has like a single option, and the other branch gives you maybe 3-4 to choose from. So in that regard, it's very "novel" heavy, and definitely could have used some more input. Other quibbles would be with the art which was pretty good for backgrounds, but for the characters was fairly "meh." But still, it was a solid first episode, so definitely disappointed that we won't see more (at least not in the near future). - 6/10

Main post here

Dryk

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

#1: Amnesia: The Dark Descent/Amnesia: Justine: 7.5 hours
I really enjoyed both of these scenarios. Dark Descent has intriguing lore and does a good job of instilling a feeling of dread. I especially like that sometimes when you die the monsters despawn or respawn somewhere else, and that you're often dropped right back into the same room. Having one of those shambling abominations come round a corner and eat your face off only to find yourself standing in the exact same place with the monster nowhere to be seen is really unnerving. Also Justine was a good opporutnity for them to experiment with something new, a short ~30-60 minute horror game with permadeath. They focused a lot on many of your few encounters with the monsters revolving around having to choose whether to stay and risk dying and having to start the entire thing again to help save another person, or to throw them to the wolves to buy you time. Because I had discovered over the previous 6 hours that I wasn't very good at Amnesia I'm sad to say I tended to choose the latter option, but managed to complete the game in one try.

#2: Diamond Dan: 3.2 hours
I decided to play this little indie game nobody had ever heard of because it was the only remaining game from the 2012 Steam Bundle "From Holland With Love". It's easily the worst game from that pack, but that's a hard standard to live up to so don't judge it yet! I went in expecting nothing and what I found was rather interesting. Each of the game's 21 levels takes place on the outside of a giant square prism made of cubes. The adventurers (the titular Dan and the infinitely superior Ann who you unlock a few levels in), must make their way through the maze of blocks, dodging traps and collecting treasure to increase their score. The goal is to reach the bottom of each tomb, where 3 sides of the level will have a locked door, and the remaining side will contain the treasure (either part of an ancient amulet or a map to unlock more levels). Upon obtaining this treasure the doors open and you can exit the level. Sounds simple, but it actually becomes rather challenging.

The thing I found unexpected about this game is the way you navigate each level. Saying that they are a maze of blocks is a bit disingenuous because there's never actually a path to the bottom. Instead periodically the one of the blocks near to you will begin to shake and then move in that direction, potentially opening a path and often moving an arrow trap directly over your head! In addition to this Dan has the ability to double jump, and more important slide blocks around into free space. Ann on the other hand has a pick-axe she can use to destroy the block to her left and right (which is why you should always use her once unlocked). The game isn't that difficult to beat, but in some of the later levels you have to do a good job of spotting trap blocks nearby or you may find yourself running a gauntlet of spike traps or griffin traps (they come out of a cave and eat you) only to find yourself standing over a pitfall. This also makes turning a corner of the cube a less desirable path forward, as you may not be able to see the end of the trap gauntlet on the other side. All in all I found the way that the game forces you to think about your path very interesting and enjoyable, even if I did mess it up a lot.

The game also has a focus on scoring if people want it. There are gems and treasure chest scattered throughout each level, and setting off a trap adds to a multiplier bar (each trap gives you 30-40% of a +1 to your multiplier) that slowly drains over time, again tempting you to rush foolhardily to your death if you want a good score. Compounding this dilemma is that the keys you use to unlock the treasure chests (randomly found throughout the levels) can also be used to unlock doors that enable you to skip a few layers and also function as checkpoints, and you can only carry one key at a time. The game will often throw a new key at you after you open the door, but there's always a chance it will not and you will lose your progress.

I find it hard to recommend Diamond Dan. The sound and graphics aren't very interesting, it actively tries to kill you as its main hook and it's not very long. But on the whole I don't regret playing it, it was fun and its design isn't something that I personally don't see very often.

#3: Atom Zombie Smasher: 4.1 hours
Everyone told me the basics of this game. You need to rescue people from each level from a hoard of zombies with a helicopter. You have access to a unit of mercanies, mines, barricades to make your life easier etc. What nobody ever told me was how hard it gets. Vanilla Atom Zombie Smasher wants you dead, and it isn't afraid to tell you. Once you unlock your 5th item the game will randomly select 3 + helicopter for you to take into the levels each day. Many of these combinations will get you killed, and seeing if you can scrape out the bare minimum of people to finish the level is a lot of fun. Unfortunately the zombies score points against you for everyone they turn, and in a very short amount of time they take over the city and you lose. I appreciate the XCOM elements this game possesses with it's overworld map and the spreading zombie menance, but I just couldn't figure out how to not get overwhelmed and die horribly.

Did beat it, only on easy mode. Finished it on normal in so far as the map filled up with Level 4 zombie incursions and I died a horrible death.

#4: Sonic the Hedgehog: I dunno, 3-5 hours
I couldn't bear to finish this game the way it was intended. I tried a few times to get through it with 3 lives but eventually just started using the level select cheat. I'm glad I did though, because the boss fight in Labyrinth Zone is some bullshit. It's interesting to see where Sonic came from and while I don't think this game holds a candle to the old Mario titles in the level design department it still controls pretty well for a game of the era. There are few physics/control niggles but honestly it's fine. As I said though the level design leaves something to be desired; I appreciate that that the designers tried to make large levels with branching paths, but in execution it makes little difference and it's hard to tell where you are in relation to the other paths you've taken. I also found that individual building blocks of levels within the same zone are often repeated, often in the same rough places in the level sometimes, and that makes it very difficult to tell each of the 3 levels in a zone apart.

I hear that Sonic 2 is better but I haven't really heard why, I look forward to getting to it

#5: Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People: 11.7 hours (including 2.3 for Episode 1 many years ago)
I never hugely got into Homestar Runner, the titular character (and much of the supporting cast) is annoying as shit, the art is ugly and the jokes were always a bit hit-and-miss. I do have fond memories of school lunch breaks where friends and I would sit around in the computer room rewatching Teen Girl Squad (I am aware of what I said not 30 words ago about the jokes) and showing each other Strongbad Emails we liked. So why am I playing this? Because it's one of two of Telltale's old games I haven't played, the other being Tales of Monkey Island... and I have to play the first two Monkey Island games before I tackle that one...

Anyway this game is pretty standard early Telltale Fare with a Homestar Runner skin. Puzzle solutions are often inventive and/or obtuse etc etc. Preferred Sam & Max and to a lesser extent Wallace & Gromit, but there's no real reason for that other than the source material I think. I will definitely be finishing the last two episodes, but I don't expect to be updating this post with my thoughts on them and I do expect to be heavily relying on a guide to see me through it quickly.

Game #6: Bayonetta: 16 hours (Added: 18/01/2015)
Combat system is very deep and fun once you get your head around it, which admittedly takes a lot of time. The music is great, the enemy design is great, the final boss is awesome BUT. You really have to get used to the idea of dying your way all the way down to stone awards every level though because this game wants you dead and isn't afraid to play dirty. Instant death QTEs will show up no warning and leave just as fast, enemies will start attacking you in cutscenes necessitating you to mash dodge when you think they're about and will pull new attacks out of their butts with no warning but eventually you learn how to deal with it (next time you play the level). This wouldn't've bothered me as much (I thought W101 was great) if it wasn't for the shoddy as hell checkpoint placement, usually stuck before an admittedly skippable cutscene or some other tedious task. At one point I was fighting a really hard boss and had to break a series of propellers everytime I died for no good reason.

So yeah, mixed feelings about Bayo 1. It's one of P*'s older games and it shows, but the combat and setpieces are still great.

Game #7: Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker: 13.5 hours
The most apt way to describe this game is "adorable". So much love has gone into the presentation here and it's just a joy to play (until the last few levels). Even though the game is structured such that you have to play each level twice for 100% I never minded, and I found myself trying to guess the hidden objectives (and often succeeding). While the levels don't flow together in any sort of coherent way each level is unique and many of them are quite memorable.

I do this write-up, and scratch this game off my backlog with one caveat. I couldn't finish the final bonus level. I tried for 2 hours and I'm just sick of it, maybe I'll come back to it one day.

Game #8: Uplink: 13.7 hours
I really enjoyed this, it does a great job of making hacking simple without abstracting it like a lot of games do. Even if all you're doing is applying hacking tools to things that need hacking the game's dedication to its theme is admirable. Even the main menu and UI have very little concessions to being a game, Uplink wants you to be able to easily forget that it's a game.

I do have a few problems with it however. Permadeath, while another interesting concession to "realism", is a pain in the arse and I generally just backed up saves to get around it. The mission variety is too low for the game to hold your interest for the 14 hours it took me to beat it, and it takes about a month* for the main quest to show up, and even then the first mission is very easily missed or failed and the time between subsequent missions is about a week*. That's a shame because the "final boss" is really fun.

*The game runs in real-time but it has a generous fast-forward. You will use the fast-forward a lot, because the optional missions are also drip-fed to you.

Game #9: Bob Came in Pieces: 6.7 hours
Well this was a fun game. Level design is not really anything special, but solid puzzle platformer fare. The main twist being that you are piloting a customizable spaceship. It has a hard-point on each of the 8 compass directions that you can attach piping or components (3 strengths of thruster as well as push and pull beams). There's a lot of depth stemming from having fully rebindable keys for the individual components and the thrusters will roll the craft if their line of action is off the center of gravity so the controls are as simple or complicated as you want it to be.

There's 13 main missions plus an epilogue and 10 optional VR missions. Some of the VR missions are really hard and creative, but I wasn't able to finish them all. I had a lot of fun with this one.

Game #10: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice for All: ~17.5 hours
Oh please don't make me choose my favourite out of this and the first one. Loved the gameplay additions, Psyche-locks add more of a puzzle element to the investigation sections which can be a bit directionless otherwise and the ability to present profiles should've been in the game from the start. Love the new prosecutor, love the way the game continues to contrive ways that Phoenix is always an upstanding defence attorney
and then subverts it but not really in the last case
and I also love that one of the character is basically just the Ventriloquist from Batman. The new Pursuit music isn't as good, but nothing is as good as Cornered. Looking forward to Trials and Tribulations.

Game #11: Gunman Clive 2: 2.1 hours
Essentially this game is more Gunman Clive, and that's not a bad thing. There haven't been any changes to the platforming levels as far as I can tell, but the level design has been kicked up a notch, with a focus on set-pieces. The flying and horse-riding levels are neat but don't really gel with me, mostly because of the controls. But yes, overall a step up from the first game across the board, good job Beril.

Game #12: KAMI: 4.1 hours
AKA Fill Tool: The Game. An amazingly simple concept (use the fill tool to turn the pattern into a solid block of colour within a certain number of moves) elevated by good puzzle design and a fantastic Japanese papercraft aesthetic.

I found the way that the simple mechanic manifests within the puzzles fascinating. Every puzzle can be mashed through to the end, but you will only be awarded a gold medal for meeting par (and a silver for slightly over). In practice though you want to restrict yourself to par, because the solution space for par + 1 is significantly higher than for par. It means that you will often try an approach and realise that if you were allowed just one more move that it would've worked, encouraging you to try again.

Another interesting point I found was that the most crucial step in solving a puzzle is getting the first move correct, with the rest of the solution stemming from the proper starting point much more easily. To this end the game has a hint system that will show you the opening move (which I had to use more than I'd like to admit). You are given 10 coins to spend on hints every day, but each hint costs 3 with no way of spending the remaining one. I suspect that in the mobile version the regeneration of hint coins is a continuous process and they changed it to a hard reset for the PC release, it doesn't affect the game in any way (especially since Youtube has a full walkthrough), but it's an interesting quirk.

Bonus Writeup #1: Plain Sight: 1.9 hours

This game would probably be really good if it wasn't indie and 5 years old, and thus long dead. The movement system is really fun and fast, map and perk variety is pretty good. The scoring mechanic is relatively unique with you have to reach a certain number of kills (which increases every time you score) and then charge a self-destruct before they are added to your total.

That said I played it for 2 hours in 2 sessions today, got through about half the maps and it's already wearing thin. I can't tell if it's the kind of boring bots or if it's just the game. But this is definitely a game I would've loved to see at its peak (however small).

Game #13: Child of Light: 18.3 hours

Boy was everyone right about the rhyming getting old. I think that the fact that it was clunky as hell didn't help. I really enjoyed the aesthetic and gameplay though so it's easy enough to ignore. Cast of characters is unique (save one) and interesting and I liked the battle system, though it was sometimes too easy to get stuck in an interrupt loop against certain sets of fast enemies if they can space themselves out on the timer.

A few minor niggles:
- I would've preferred an inbetween difficulty. Hard kicked my butt but the way though described Casual sounded like a snoosefest.
- The 3D models used for the main character and a few of the secondary characters look really out of place next to the beautiful 2D art, especially the faces
- Sometimes I found myself letting myself die because I entered a hard fight with low health and there was no penalty for doing so

Game #14: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter: 3.1 hours
The atmosphere in the game is great, the ambient music is great, what little puzzle solving there is is fairly unique and interesting. Voice acting could use some work. Ending shocked me. The game also delights into randomly turning into 2001 or The Call of Cthulu for 30 seconds then jolting back to reality like nothing happened, and I really liked that.

Game #15: 1000 Amps: 4.6 hours
Yet another indie game that never got much attention on GAF, which is something I don't really think it deserved. This game is interesting, I may even go so far as to call it good. The aesthetic is nice, sound is good, level design is good (for the most part), music's not great though.

Each screen starts blank, and is revealed as you move through it. There are a number of squares that will light up and add to your power when you touch them. As you power up each room your jump height increases, and later on in the game it also increases the distance from which you can activate a node. Once all the nodes in a room are lit that room is fully powered and will remain that way. The objective is simple, find your way to all the upgrades scattered in the four corners of the map and then kill the boss.

The main problem with this game, is that it takes delight in fucking you over. When you leave a screen, it resets unless it was completed, and there are a lot of rooms that are all too happy to reveal an inescapable conveyer belt or pit that you couldn't've seen coming. In some cases, falling into these traps will carry you 10+ screens away. If you mess up the final screen before the boss it's about a 5 minute trek the whole way around the map to get back to where you were. Still, I enjoyed the time I spent with it and it had an interesting mechanic which is all I expect from a puzzle-platformer.

Also the map is awful, but functional enough I guess

Game #16: There Came an Echo: 4.1 hours (Added 01/03/201)
Had a lot of fun with this. Story, voice-acting, art etc were all as good as I expect from Iridium. Can't say much more without spoiling.

Animation on the 3D models was a little wonky at times, but that's normal for an RTS of this scale. Gameplay was a little simple but understandable considering the fledgling control method. I had problems with the voice recognition on some of the more complex commands at times but I can mumble so most of the time I could tell it was my fault. Not always though, this game is definitely not for anyone that demands perfect responsiveness.

Keep up the good work feep

Game #17: Puzzle Agent: 3.4 hours (Added 01/03/2015)
Too short for my liking considering the style of the game, but enjoyable nonetheless. Puzzle Agent is a Professor Layton game with the setting of Twin Peaks and a small sprinkling of the townsfolk from Hot Fuzz. It only has 37 puzzles, and they never get very hard. The story and animation style are enough to keep you engaged until the end though.

24/01/2015: Added Captain Toad
30/01/2015: Added Uplink
02/02/2015: Added Bob Came in Pieces
06/02/2015: Added Ace Attorney 2
07/02/2015: Added Gunman Clive 2 and KAMI
08/02/2015: Added Plain Sight
17/02/2015: Added Child of Light
25/02/2015: Added 1000 Amps

Matriox

Failed at this miserably last year and felt bad about it..

LETS DO IT AGAIN!

Because I always waste needless hours into several MP games I'll throw these in here to make me feel better and so I don't forget to include them later like I did last year.

Format for my purposes
Game 0: NAME - DURATION PLAYED
# INSERT INFO AND COMMENTS HERE

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Game 1: Bayonetta (Wii U) - 11~ hours
Amazing game, wish I had completed this years ago but was always scared of the DMC'ness which I was never a fan of.

Game 2: Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (Wii U)- 5 hours
Picked it up for offscreen MP action on my Wii U, not disappointed. Although controls are still getting used to with the right side pad/buttons being reversed from what I'm used to.

Game 3: Mario Kart 8 (Wii U) - 9 hours
Great Mario Kart, first I've played since DD on GC and had an absolute blast with friends and family.

Game 4: Super Smash Brothers (Wii U/3DS) - 7 hours
First SSB I've ever owned, slowly getting better but I still suck lol.

Game 5: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PS4 and XB1) - 13 hours
Played this a good majority of December then forgot about it. Turns out my friends picked it up for Xbox One aswell so I'm back in.

Game 6: Pokémon Y (3DS) - 24 hours
Easiest Pokémon I've ever played.. I stopped playing because it was so boring. Forgot to put a cart back in my 3ds when I was going to work so I decided to finally beat it.

Game 7: Driveclub (PS4) - 10~ Hours
I hadn't played a racing game since ps2 days (not counting Mario Kart), this was a bit refreshing. I was hoping for more car customization, but it didn't really matter. Great game with great graphics.

Game 8: Titanfall (XB1) - 10 Hours
Came back after a long hiatus between shooters. It was just a random game I felt like playing and damn is it satisfying. Almost a year old now, Titanfall still holds up imo.

Game 9: Dragon Age Inquisition (PS4) - 16 hours
I was extremely excited to play DA:I when it came out, but it overstayed its welcome... Overall I'd give it a 6/10 due to how boring the combat is, which is what I like out of RPGs.

Game 10: Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS) - 8 Hours?
I'm guessing on the time here, can't quite remember. But KTD was pretty awesome, first Kirby game since Nightmare in Dreamland (I think?) for the Gameboy. Had a great time and look forward to trying more Kirby games.

Game 11: Bayonetta 2 (Wii U) - 8 Hours?
Didn't check the time taken, but Bayo2 was a solid action game, but I enjoyed Bayonetta 1 more. I loved that the QTE's were essentially non-existent and the button mashing was removed though.

Game 12: Dying Light (PS4) - 14 Hours
Probably my GOTY so far, every time I jumped into playing this game I had a blast. One of the few games I plan on going back to do more side quests.

Game 13: Transistor (PS4) - 5 Hours
Supergiant Games being one of my favorite Indie devs after Bastion, but Transistor wasn't that same feeling. Although, that last 10 minutes of the game made it worth playing, the gameplay just wasn't quite fluid, but I appreciate the effort put into making it a unique experience.

Game 14: Bloodborne (PS4) - 30 hours?
Extremely rough guess on the time played here. Took me a long time to finally start feeling like I knew what I was doing, first ever souls game. Loved every minute of it, I look forward to more Souls style games.

Game 15: DMC: Definitive Edition (PS4) - 15 Hours
Again guessing on the time here, I'm bad at this. After loving Bayo1/2 I decided to try DMC again even though I wasn't a fan in the past. I loved DMC about as much as Bayo 1, used to loathe action games like that but now theyre among my favorite.

Game 16: Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 (iPad) - 8 Hours
I love me some magic, and this one is easy to play with my girlfriend right before bed. Played through the campaign really quick just to get it in and played a couple hours of mp games online.

Game 17: Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers 2015 (Android) - 24 Hours
See 16, but this I got for on my phone at work. Not nearly as good as previous installments, but I enjoy deck building a lot. Hoping for some good stuff in this years version.

Game 18: Persona 3 Portable (PS Vita) - 50 hours
Not nearly as engaging as Persona 4 Golden, P3P was okay. I wish I could just skip the tower after a short while, holy crap that overstays its welcome.

Game 19: Wolfenstine: TNO (PS4) - 10 Hours
I loved the story parts, but the gunplay and combat are so damn boring. I've never really been a huge fan of FPS single player so that doesn't help.

Game 20: Battlefield 4 (Xb1) - 16 hours
EA Vault made this a pretty good pickup for $30 or whatever a year. My cousin in law (?) also loves sports games so he has something to do while over now. BF4 is great fun when you actually have time to sit in 30-45 minute games of Rush lol.

Game 21: League of Legends (PC) - 25 Hours
Gah, forgot to include League. I only play when I have a few buddies online as well, but I usually get 1-2 hours in a week.

Game 22: Diablo 3 (PS4) - 30 Hours
Been trying to work towards the platinum so I've remote played my Hardcore Crusader from 30 to 56 in the past few weeks. Diablo is always a fun game to jump into and kill demons.

Game 23: Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS) - 20~ Hours
I started playing this when it came out last year, for whatever reason stopped playing because I was stuck and couldn't figure out where to go... Turns out the order in which you do the dungeons doesn't matter... Or so I found out after about 20 minutes of snooping around in Hyrule after playing on a whim lol. Excellent game, one of my favorites for the year, wish I had finished it in one run rather than jumping around games before returning..

Game 24: Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward (PS4) - 10 Hours
As stated I keep wasting my time with MP games that never end.. With a full time job and a family you'd think I'd just stick to shorter single player experiences, but FFXIV is such a great mmo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Current Backlog:
Pokémon ORAS
Farcry 4 (PS4)
Halo Mcc
ZombiU
Super Mario 3D World
MGS:GZ (PS4)
Legend of Zelda: Windwaker Remastered
Ninja Gaiden 3 Wii U
Darksiders 2 (Wii U)
Wonderful 101
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Rogue Legacy
Elder Scrolls Online
GTA:V
Codename STEAM
Xenoblade Chronicles
Sunset Overdrive
Shadow of Mordor
God of War 1, 2, 3
TLOU

LGom09

1ad3b3fa7a4842a83c042e92bd9e4f5f468908de.jpg

#3. Ys II Chronicles+ (PC) -- January 8 -- 6:36:00 -- &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;
My second Ys game, so I think I can call myself a fan of the series now. Great music, great bosses, simple but fun gameplay. The diagonal attack is totally overpowered, but the combat has basically no depth anyway. Some things I don't like are the labyrinthine level design and obtuse game logic. I'm looking forward to Oath in Felghana, so I hope that one is a little more straightforward.

jnWake

Main Post

Game #2. Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland (GBA VC)
- Time played: 09:28 hours.
- Completion reached: Cleared 100% Normal & Extra Modes.

This one is a fun little game. If you're not familiar with Kirby games, it's essentially a platformer with some brawling mechanics. Mechanics are simple but very fun. For the platforming, you can jump and float. For the brawling, you can shoot air puffs and inhale enemies. After inhaling an enemy, you can spit them and release a star that damages other enemies or you can absorb their powers. Of course, absorbing powers is the core of the game and also what makes it fun and unique. The variety in powers is great, especially considering this game is technically the first one to include powers (I say technically since this is a remake of Kirby's Adventure for the NES which was the first one to include powers for Kirby). You have some obvious powers like Fire and Ice but then you have very creative ones like Mike and UFO. Most powers seem useful and to reach 100% you'll need to familiarize yourself with most of them (I still have no idea if Sleep does anything!).

Overall, I really liked this game and would recommend it to any platformer fan. It's a tad short (I'd say my first playthrough took about 06:30 hours and I got 100%) and not particularly hard but it's very fun. Besides, if you clear Normal Mode with 100% then you'll unlock a harder Extra Mode. You can also unlock Boss Rush, which is challenging. There's another unlockable mode but I guess I won't spoil it!

GLuigi

First game of the year done! I really wanted Persona Q to be my first one.

Original Post

Game #1: Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth - 83 Hours (About 20ish hours was done in late December)
Finished the P3 route. At first, I wasn't too sure if I would like this game since I wasn't the biggest Etrian Odyssey fan. My only experience with Etrian Odyssey was IV but i stopped in the middle of playing after losing interest. After 5 hours in, I was completely addicted. The game does a great job with adding Persona to the Etrian Odyssey formula, and it just felt like an easier Etrian Odyssey game. My only complaints about the game are just minor ones: More room to hold more personas, fighting F.O.Es usually consists of using the same strategy, and one floor in the 4th dungeon that was absolutely terrible. Still, really solid game that I highly recommend. I might give EO IV another go someday.

Hikami

15fd94e73a.png

Game 4: Katawa Shoujo
Playtime: 26:15
Started: ?/?/2012
Completed: Jan 8th, 2015
// This one was sort of a replay since I already finished it once years ago. Went back recently and got all the endings.. Damn am I sad that this is over. Such a great experience and there's probably nothing else like it out there.
--

Original Post

Axass

[..](I still have no idea if Sleep does anything!)[...]!

It does not, it's basically a joke power within the series: if you get the sleep power you lose your previous, useful power, moreover you are stuck and defenseless for a while (with the risk of dying if in the air).

Madn

Game 1: Cave Story+
Time to completion: 8 hours
I found the game really good. The bosses are easy once you figure out the one trick you have to do to beat them but I don't think that's a problem. I really liked all the different and weapons and how shooting downward with a machinegun lets you float.

Game 2: BIT.TRIP RUNNER
Time to completion: 13 hours
It's my first rythm game and i liked it a lot! I'm looking forward to playing the sequel

Game 3: Quell: Memento
Time to completion: N.A.
A nice puzzle game. The levels are short but there are a lot of them

Game 4: 8BitBoy
Time to completion: 4 hours
A 2D platformer inspired (obviously) by the 8-bit era. Kinda simple if you rush through it but I guess trying to 100% it could take a while

Game 5: 2-bit Cowboy
It's a platformer where you shoot at enemies and collect coins. The exit is always really close to the start as the levels aren't that big, I guess the game is more about going around and clearing quests (like shoot n snakes or collect n coins). Not that great

Game 6: AR-K
Time to completion: 2 hours
It's a point and click adventure. I just finished the first episode but the story didn't really grab me and I usually don't play this games in this genre so I don't think I'll play the other episodes

Game 7: Oscura Second Shadow
A fun mobile platformer. The controls are suprinsigly good for being on mobile and the levels are short but fun

Game 8: Rebuild
A strategy game where you have to rebuild a town after a zombie apocalypse. You can win in multiple ways
(repairing an elicopter and leaving or making a constituion and starting anew in that town)
and if you reach one ending you can continue to play to find the others. Really easy and short but still fun to play

Game 9: Words for Evil
The goal of the game is to spell words like in the phone game ruzzle and by doing so you hit the enemies. When you kill them you gain gold which you can use to heal or buy weapons and armor.
The main problem is that just like in ruzzle you end up spelling whatever looks like a word as you want to be as fast as possible, without really looking for words you know. I was randomly putting three letters together hoping it would work and I got better results than when I was using words I knew

Game 10: Anomaly Warzone Earth
This game reverses the tower defense genre making you push with some units down a road while destroying the enemy's defenses. The campaign is failry short but you unlock a few other modes that I haven't checked. I hope that in those you'll be able to choose more freely the type of units you want to take and the path you want to choose like it was in the last couple missions. The rest of game felt too linear, with little choices on what to do

Game 11: Vector
Time to completion: 6 hours
It's a mobile game and it shows it. The controls are really limited (you basically have to press the correct button at the currect time) but you have a bit more choice than with a QTE. I finished the main story and kinda enjoyed it, so I also wanted to finish the secondary one but you have to grind for money to unlock it so I just gave up

Game 12: Call of Juarez
Time to completion: 10 hours
I usually don't play FPSs but I didn't mind this one, especially because of how the story alternated between two characters, one more focused on guns and the other more focused on platforming. This allowed some variety to the levels, even though some parts were a bit repetitive

Game 13: Terraria
Time to completion: 62 hours
I enjoyed it a lot. I got all these hours of play in just two weeks as this game had all I could ever look for: farming, bosses that increase in difficulty, a world you can completely remodel as you like. You could go from fighting for your life to calmly design your house

Game 14: The Hidden World
This game is actually making me reconsider the point-and-click genre. As I said in a previous review I thought I didn't like it but I actually had a lot of fun playing this game, between solving the puzzle and moving across the map. The biggest difference was that there was almost no text so I guess what really turns me off from the genre are the long dialogues

Game 15: Cook, Serve, Delicious!
Time to completion: 22 hours
I liked it a lot when I first tried it so I started binge playing it and I finished over the weekend. I now can't bear to play it a single more minute. It's a fast reaction game where you have to quickly cook the various foods you have on the menu. As you go on you unlock more recipes and upgrade your restaurant. While I had fun with this game I don't think it has a lot of replayability as you keep doing the same stuff all over again

Game 16: BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend Of Rhythm Alien
Time to completion: 15 hours
I bought it as I enjoyed the first one and I had a good time. It's easier if you want to rush through it but the different difficulties provide enough challenge if you want something more

Game 17: Super Meat Boy
I bought it tow years ago in a Steam sale and left it after reaching the final boss. At the time I didn't even have a controller, just mouse and keyboard. Using a controller definitely feels better (probably because my keyboard sucks) and I had no problems in completing it. The difficulty feels fair as you respawn immediatly and can retry with no delay betwen your deaths

Game 18: Portal 2
I found everything that I had loved in Portal: the humour, the great puzzles and an actually intersting story. I can definitely see why this game is so loved. I've just started the coop but I'm having a blast so far: it's Portal with a friend, what could go wrong?

Game 19: Cut The Rope
A nice mobile game. You solve really quick puzzles with the touchscreen. I have to say I found the quality of the last worlds lower than the first ones

Game 20: The Swapper
A nice puzzle game where you control multiple people simultaneously by making them all o the same things. I really enjoyed it even though I didn't discover any secret and I don't see myself replaying it for a while as I know how to solve all the puzzles already

Game 21: Pretentious Game
Time to completion: 1 hour
A really basic puzzle game. Most of the puzzles involve following the instructions on screen

Game 22: Age of Zombies
A twin stick shooter mobile game. The controls aren't too precise so I guess to balance it out they made it really simple

Game 23: Pixel Puzzles: Japan
Time to completion: 10 hours
A really basic game: you solve puzzles while relaxing music plays. Only recommended if you like puzzles

Game 24: Rogue Legacy
Time to completion: 17 hours
A rogue-lite where you can actually level up, so each time you die you'll be a little bit stronger and be able to go further

Game 25: Sometimes: Success Requires Sacrifice
Time to completion: 30 minutes
It's a very short game (I spent most of the time idling to get all the card drops). You have no vision and the only way to light the way is by dying

Game 26: Out There Somewhere
A really nice puzzle platformer. You shoot a beam that teleports you where it hits while conserving momentum so that you can jump out of your teleport

Game 27: 80 Days
In this game you play as Passepartout and you have to help your master in travelling across teh world in 80 days

Game 28: Freedom Fall
As the name suggests, you have to escape from a tower while falling down. It's a platformer whith mostly vertical elements

Game 29: Fractal: Make Blooms Not War
Time to completion: 3 hours
A really nice puzzle game. You push colored pieces around the board in an hexagonal pattern to create combinations and reach the objective in a limited number of moves

Game 30: Containment
A puzzle game where you defeat zombies by surrounding them with fighters of the same colour. You do this by swapping them. Since there are no time or moves limit it's really easy and on top of that the game provides you with a ton of special weapons to destroy the zombies

Game 31: Clickr
A puzzle game where you delete blocks to make the ones with the same colours get near each other. There are levels with specific puzzles and various endless modes

Game 32: Adventure Capitalist
Time to completion: 58 hours
A free-to-play game in the same vein of Cookie Clicker. After getting 9/10 achievements i got bored and won't even bother to check it once a day

Game 33: Deep Under The Sky
A really nice mobile game where you have to shoot your eggs to procreate or something. You can't directly control the direction, but you can change speed or interact in various ways to complete the levels

Game 34: Clockwork Tales
A point and click adventure. I'm beginning tro think that I didn't like this type of games because I'm really bad at them. Playing some of these at lower difficulties makes me enjoy them a lot more. I also liked that there were lots of puzzles and less moving around to gather pieces from one place or another

Game 35: Abyss
Another poit-and-click adventure from Artifex Mindi, makers of Clockwork Tales. I enjoyed it a bit less as lots of the puzzles were the same from the other game. i think I'l take a break from their games for a bit (I still have some from their humble bundle) as I don't want to get burnt out

Game 36: 140
It's a really short but fun music platformer. I couldn't bother getting all the achievements though, as I think you need to complete every level without dying

Game 37: Letter Quest: Grimm's Journey
Time to completion: 15 hours
A spelling game, where you hurt enemies by spelling words. It has RPG elemnts as you can level up your weapon and health

Game 38: Long Live The Queen
Time to completion: 5 hours
A princess simulator where you have to survive against nobles plots, assassins and wars with other countries in order to become a queen. Also, you get to chop off the head of people you don't like

Game 39: Ittle Dew
A simple and short 2D Zelds-like. While never challenging I still enjoyed playing it

Game 40: FIST OF AWESOME
A beat 'em up kinda repetitive. You just mash mostly one button to the end of the level. To unlock everything you have to replay it a lot but I don't see the point in doing that

Game 41: Orborun
A game where you control an orb trying to reach the exit. Some levels have puzzles other are really straightforward and you just have to evade the obstacles.
I really liked the physics of the game and the soundtrack, even if a bit repetitive, was good

Game 42: Vertical Drop Heroes HD
Time to completion: 18 hours
In this game you have to run through ten levels from top to bottom while defeating enemies. Each level has a boss that blocks the access to the following one, but you can use some items to unlock it without having to fight. With each death you get a random new character, but you keep any upgrade you have purchased. I found it really enjoyable, which let me 100% it, while i usually immediatly quit a game after i've beaten it

Game 43: Little Racers STREET
Time to completion: 7 hours
It's a top down racing game. I enjoyed it, but I have to admit that to complete it I had to lower the difficulty as I was losing lots of races. I finally realized what I was doing wrong in the last few races

Game 44: Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
Time to completion: 11 hours
A simple platformer where you swap between two sisters to activate their different powers. I had fun playing it and at first did't even notice that the bosses where locked behind a certain number of collectibles as I was exploring and collecting things in the levels on my own. I didn't enjoy the last boss.

Game 45: Dark Souls
Time to completion: 59 hours
I enjoyed it a lot, as exploring each area and then finding out how everything was connected left me a a great feeling. And having to figure out each boss, with their patterns and how to counter them made me realise how I was improving at the game. It was especially great when I kept banging my head against a boss, then something clicked and I managed to beat him without almost getting hit. I have to say I was a bit let down from the ending.
I reached the last area (Lost Izalith) after doing the DLC, so with the levels I had I was able to traverse it fairly quickly. And here started the problems. Bed of Chaos is a terbile concept for a boss and I didn't find the fight entertaining at all. After finally beating him, however, I was still pumped up for the final fight with Gwin. I traversed my last white fog full of anticipation, but the fight lasted something like 20 seconds. I could parry all of his attacks and he was done, while I was hoping for something more grandiose.
Still, I really loved that right after the credits they put tou right back at the beginning, ready for another run. I'll probably wait before completing New Game + as I have to take care of my backlog, but I definetly want to revist it
I still think I'll skip Dark Souls 2 and wait for the next one though.

Game 46: Scribblenauts Unlimited
I found the game interesting for the first few areas, but then it was just moer of the same. Finishing it was a bit of a chore and it was helped but what I think is a poor translation job, as some hints didn't make any sense

Game 47: Pokemon Shuffle
Time to completion: 58 hours
It's Candy Crash Saga with Pokemons. I was really hooked at one point but after missing some weekly challenges I just stopped caring about it and never came back

Game 48: MIGHTY GUNVOLT
It's the 8-bit version of AZURE STRIKER GUNVOLT. Due to its simplicity I actually enjoyed it more in some areas, but it's very short.

Game 49: Adventure Time: The Secret of the Nameless Kingdom
Time to completion: 6 hours
When I first played this game I was really excited, as I'm a fan of both top-down Zelda games and Adventure Time. However, playing it for a couple hours made it lose its charm, especially because of the really frequent loading times while traversing the world and the bad controls.

Game 50: Pokemon Rumble World
Time to completion: 11 hours
Another free-to-play Pokemon title for the 3DS. I got bored with this one even faster as the gameplay mechanics only involve pressing forward and A all the time.

Game 51: AZURE STRIKER GUNVOLT
It reminded me of Mega Man because of the way bosses are done, and because of the
boss rush at the end
. I found it kinda easy, but the challenges to unlock new equipment make it harder and replayable. The last boss was also harder than all the previous one, so it was a nice challenge

Game 52: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this game. I've always liked the 2D Zeldas more, but I think that the mechanic of this one (becoming a painting) was utilized in a really interesting way. It was also the first 3DS game that I played with 3D always on, as it made the game better both visually and mechanically

tt7n4

Neo Member
Let's try.

Finished Games:

1-Battlefield 4 (Jan. 5 - 2015) - 6 Hours - (5/10)
I played multiplayer since the game released. Never played singleplayer . Last day my internet down and i'm finished the game. It's not good. I just only shoot other guys.But multiplayer is awesome. 300 hours and counting

2-Binding of Isaac:Rebirth(Jan.7 - 2015) - 8 Hours - (9/10)
header_292x136.jpg

This game is awesome.Everything change. Lots of stuff. Masterpiece.

3- Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons (Jan. 8 - 2015) - 3.5 Hours - (7/10)

brothes-tale-of-two-sons-header.jpg

Puzzles are easy.Control is hard. But story is very good.Thanks PS+Plus.

Now Playing

ICO
Infamous First Light

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I finally finished my first game of 2015. It's Super Smash Bros for Wii U.

Here is my cross post from other thread.

_smash_bros__i_don_t_know_what_to_call_this_by_amazingartistyellow-d82zevl.gif

Last night, I decided to do a long session with Classic 9.0 so I've been trying to beat 9.0 without losing a stock. I finally did with my precious Ganondorf so I'm thrilled to announce that I'm officially done with single contents and challenges for Smash Bros Wii U. :D

I'm quite proud of myself actually completed both version' Challenge Panels without using any single golden hammer. When I look back and thinking to myself that I felt that Smash 3DS is way easier than Smash U in a term of challenges, however I was very lucky with grinding for custom moves and hats in Wii U. 3DS is more of grandfest for me. And I didn't even try to get hats in Smash U since it only took me 45 minutes to grind to get last hat. For custom moves, it was quite easier to obtain because of Crazy Order and All Stars Hard Mode.

Also here is one of my little rant about Classic 9.0 flaws.

One small rant from me about Classic 9.0.

Classic 9.0 don't really bother me until I started doing 9.0 challenge without losing a stock. It's quite annoying because you are not only fight against characters, you also literally fighting against items, lucks, stages, etc.

Lucks might be a huge factor in this because you have to worry about

1. Stages.. Getting bad stages during round 3 and round 5,

2. Items... Computers would know where it's going to pop occasionally so they would grab it before I did. I would like to point it out that items occasionally would pop out at wrong time which ended up eliminating me.

3. Target System.. Once Computers love you so much then they would actually trying to get rid of you all the way in battles. Occasionally few computers would team up and trying to get you out of the game without harming each other.

4. Team Work. You would notice that there are random team combo. For example, Ike used a counter against me which send me up the air, then for some reason Peach decided to up B when I'm flying in the sky. Peach saw it coming in split second like human wouldn't able to do that because I flew pretty fast that human probably didn't have a time to react to connect the attack.

5. Intruders..... I don't know why Sakurai actually thought that it's fantastic idea to add Intruders to Classic Mode. They are nuisance in 9.0 when you don't really want to lose stocks. Most of time, it just happened to me that they decided to appeared at 5th round and replaced two characters with two most annoying intruders. I can handle metal version just fine but sometime I just had a bad lucks with Giant character because there are other computers that kept interrupting me from eliminating giant characters.

Also I just updated my original post with comment.

Completed

Game 1: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - more than 90 hours
I actually completed every single modes and coop modes in the game. Also I already cleared all challenges that were provided on the Challenge Panel and collected everything in the game, such as trophies, custom moves, headgears, etc. I felt so great that I'm done with single content in Smash U. I'm pretty sure that I'm more likely to play more than 50 hours down in the road. Oh boy, I think someone need to help me to focus on other games so I can actually finish more games. :p I can be very completionist when it came down to Smash Bros franchise since I already cleared 64, Melee, Brawl, Smash 3DS and now Smash U.

Nemaides

Here goes my first!

Game 1: Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Skies - ~6h

Beaten with Isa on normal, currently playing with Kachi. This was... intense. Enemies, bullets, lasers and bombs everywhere. The last boss was impossible until I realized I shouldn't be playing with the classic controller. Soooo much easier and fun with the nunchuck.

Now playing:

Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl: On the 3rd stratum, exploring B11F and B12F. So far so good.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U: Doing the challenges. 94/140 completed.

Mr. Doop

My next game is finished!

Original post

header.jpg

What a brilliant game. It still looks amazing for a game made in 2004. My favorite part was towards the beginning when you had the boat, but it was all great. On to episode 1!

BraXzy

Original Post

I finally completed GTA V a few days ago after getting distracted by Next Gen consoles at the time. It turned out I was maybe 5 main missions from the end. Full thoughts at OP.

I've been playing a fair bit on my new PS4 recently and have been playing a lot of Infamous: Second Son. I probably shouldn't what with all the games I'm already playing through atm (it's a serious problem) but I'm enjoying it so ahh well!

entremet

Original Post

Pokemon ORAS.

I've enjoyed Gen 6, although I found this weaker than X/Y, mostly due to the poor Pokemon variety. I guess GameFreak was going for authentic Hoenn distribution and I never played the originals. The post game is much stronger than X/Y, however.

eot

Banned
Game 4: Dog of Dracula 2 - 1 hour, Jan. 9th
It's silly cyberpunk, but the writing is pretty good for the most part. Max Payne style noir parody. "Birds, plural. I whip out the akimbo middle fingers like I'm the master of suspense and show him what fighting the system looks like.". The soundtrack was good too, but I suspect it wasn't original.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom