• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP reaches 50 million worldwide

Basically a handheld version of the Saturn, seems like a lot of cool titles are still coming out in Japan while the West only gives it token support at best.

Hardware sales have always been steady for the PSP. It's Piracy that has hurt the PSP's software sales. Something I'm sure Sony will be careful to address if they do another handheld. The PSP hasn't dissapointed me yet in software, I always pick up a hand full of games for it every year. I await Resistance: Retribution and Dissidia.

okay gaf.
I need 2009 games for my PSP (no RPGs, no RTSs)
I liked God Of War: COO, MGS:pO, SFA3, Tekken DR, Lumines, Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins and stuff like that

SkySonata

Banned
Augemitbutter said:
best handheld for core games ever. i love as many games for this sys as i love my micro for all that GBA-greatness. the DS still needs to grow up.

congrats on those 50 million, you deserved it.

smh

jrricky

Banned
Grayman said:
this really depends on what types of games you like. I could understand a psp argument with games like wipeout and killzone.
No. This is what he said:
Augemitbutter said:
best handheld for core games ever. i love as many games for this sys as i love my micro for all that GBA-greatness. the DS still needs to grow up.
That is not even possible. The DS factually has more 'core' games than the PSP will ever dream to have. You're taking what he said if he was basing it on particular types of games. But he used 'best...core'.

NolbertoS

I haven't been giving my PSP much love..but damn..honestly..the gaming selection is a bit disappointing. If that's the way Sony wants to market the PSP, with no new blockbuster releases, than RIP in the future than. Before somebody rants..but.but there are awesome games on the system. By my count, there's only maybe good RPG's and some good puzzle games on the system, with the occasional good shooter. Other than that, the PSP is slowly dying.

Grayman

jrricky said:
No. This is what he said:

That is not even possible. The DS factually has more 'core' games than the PSP will ever dream to have. You're taking what he said if he was basing it on particular types of games. But he used 'best...core'.
I don't see how counting games could make it the best. It was a stupid thing to say though. I just see how a gamer could prefer either one based on games that do not overlap between the two.

Aru

Maybe Sony should do what Rockstar did for GTAIV L&D: selling a voucher (to download the game on the PSN) along with the box and manual (is the manual in the box of L&D or not ?) of the game in real stores. And maybe put free Wifi access in those stores to let people download games.
Piracy would be almost killed with this.

The real problem is Memory Stick space.

klee123

The PSP is fucking awesome due to the Japanese game scene.

I just ordered Tenchu 4 and got Radiant Mythology 2 coming in soon. Also looking forward Rei Cho Aniki, Zettai Zetsumei toshi 3, Brandish, Persona and a few more.

Congrats to Sony for the 50 million sales. It's the most successful non Nintendo handheld by far.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Red Blaster said:
Basically a handheld version of the Saturn, seems like a lot of cool titles are still coming out in Japan while the West only gives it token support at best.

It is is also like the Saturn because many of those cool Japanese titles seem to be limited to Japan.

Barrett2

What a strange system. So many units sold, but such an anemic software library, in the US at least. I finally sold mine last fall, I just couldn't justify waiting 6 months between games I was interested in.

Aru

lawblob said:
What a strange system. So many units sold, but such an anemic software library, in the US at least. I finally sold mine last fall, I just couldn't justify waiting 6 months between games I was interested in.

The first 2 (PAL) years of the PSP were awesome for me.
Then, less games were being made for the system.
I'll not sell my PSP until PSP2 is out.

Dissidia and KH BBS must be played !

Barrett2

Aru said:
The first 2 (PAL) years of the PSP were awesome for me.
Then, less games were being made for the system.
I'll not sell my PSP until PSP2 is out.

Dissidia and KH BBS must be played !

When the PSP launched it was like living in the future. I couldn't wait for the US launch, so I imported one from Japan in December 2005. When I received it along with Ridge Racer and Darkstalkers via LikSang, I was practically weeping from the awesome. Little did I know it would mostly collect dust on my shelf the next three years.

Hcoregamer00

The PSP could have been something BIG.

The key word is could have, because Sony dropped the ball on the machine. It is a pity because this lack of competitive rivalry made Nintendo complacent in the past 2 years.

If the PSP were successful, we would gotten a new generation of Handheld Consoles faster. With the PSP doing decently in Japan and the DS doing amazing worldwide, there really is no incentive to make a new handheld console.

andthebeatgoeson

I'm really interested i where they take this. I would hope for a cheaper experience and more support from Sony. They need to carry the handheld. I think next gen, Sony will make handhelds interesting unless they continue to pursue 'more tech'. You douches want more tech, more movies, more shit but I want less if it means more games, better games. It's not in my budget above $150 and the majority have spoken the same thing.

Mrbob

skinnyrattler said:
I'm really interested i where they take this. I would hope for a cheaper experience and more support from Sony. They need to carry the handheld. I think next gen, Sony will make handhelds interesting unless they continue to pursue 'more tech'. You douches want more tech, more movies, more shit but I want less if it means more games, better games. It's not in my budget above $150 and the majority have spoken the same thing.

I think sony will still push tech, but probably not on the graphics side. I can see the PSP2 being still a retail product, but more focus on downloadable content. In fact it could easily be the first portable to be virtually all digital download focus, which could actually work given that portable game sizes are smaller. Now of course it would be a hybrid product, in games still being sold at retail which you can load onto your hdd. The playstation store shows sony does have some grasp on how to organize software content in a reasonable fashion (set up better than the marketplace), but they still haven't received the memo on getting said content up in a decent manner. Sony needs to get this aspect in check before the PSP2 is released.

Mrbob said:
I think sony will still push tech, but probably not on the graphics side. I can see the PSP2 being still a retail product, but more focus on downloadable content. In fact it could easily be the first portable to be virtually all digital download focus, which could actually work given that portable game sizes are smaller. Now of course it would be a hybrid product, in games still being sold at retail which you can load onto your hdd. The playstation store shows sony does have some grasp on how to organize software content in a reasonable fashion (set up better than the marketplace), but they still haven't received the memo on getting said content up in a decent manner. Sony needs to get this aspect in check before the PSP2 is released.

Apple has already beat them to the punch on this.

If Apple ever gets smart enough to think "hey, if we add traditional controls and a bigger battery to a Touch, and sell it as a separate model, we're in the video game business!" then Sony is well and truly fucked.

Mrbob

Perhaps, but most of the software on the ipod touch is shovelware garbage anwyway, and it sounds like unless you are in the top 100 in sales it isn't worth making an app for the platform.

PSP2 needs more of a focus. If sony puts the psp2 focus back on games, it will help give them an edge.

matmanx1

I love my PSP 2000 lots but mostly because of CFW. If I didnt have that, I doubt I would still own one. I've got Final Fantasy 9 and Persona 2 Innocent Sin with the english translation patch loaded on the memory stick (as well as an NES emulator with just about every NES game ever released in ROM format) and I've converted Vagrant Story, Parasite Eve, FF 7 and 8 and Chrono Cross to .eboot format in case I run out of things to do.

Oh and I recently added Suikoden, Wild Arms and Rayman from the PSN store to my collection and would gladly, GLADLY (Sony are you listening??) pay for more PSOne classics to put on my PSP if only they were offered.

Mrbob said:
Perhaps, but most of the software on the ipod touch is shovelware garbage anwyway, and it sounds like unless you are in the top 100 in sales it isn't worth making an app for the platform.

PSP2 needs more of a focus. If sony puts the psp2 focus back on games, it will help give them an edge.

It's been quite sucessful for Apple thus far. And there is quality portable gaming to be found there.

Sony would benefit from taking a couple of pages from Apple's book by releasing an SDK, and encouraging the homebrew community and people currently selling games on the Apple store to program some games for an expanded Sony store. Offer them the same terms on percentage of sales.

They would need to be much more selective than Apple, and take the cream of the crop, but there is some good stuff that could be adapted to work without touch screen or accelermeter.

What this would do for Sony's current software model is a legitamate concern. Would this kill quality UMD-caliber games? Could there be a two tier system like Apple is trying to set up now? Does it matter, as software support is dying anyway?

DarkMehm

Regional breakdown of the 50 million if someone is interested:

* SCEA: Approx. 18 million units
* SCEE: Approx. 16 million units
* SCEAsia: Approx. 4.5 million unit
* SCEJ: Approx. 11.5 million units

UMD software sales/ breakdown by territories (sell-in as of Dec 2008):

* WW: approx 200 million (197 million)
* SCEJ: approx 36 million
* SCEA: approx 81 million
* SCEE: approx 76 million
* SCEAsia: approx 4 million

Averon

How is PSP's NA sales that high? With the exception of GoW:CoO and FF7:Crisis Core, I have never seen a PSP game in the NPD top 20 as far as I can remember.

DarkMehm

Averon said:
How is PSP's NA sales that high? With the exception of GoW:CoO and FF7:Crisis Core, I have never seen a PSP game in the NPD top 20 as far as I can remember.

well, obviously games can sell outside of a Top 20 too. Handheld games do not chart very often, though the DS changed this a bit. GBA also had very very few games that charted in the Top 20.

JudgeN

jrricky said:
Uh..thats good...??? I guess...

Sony gives me no reason to play this thing though. Most boring console/handheld ever. Crisis Core has been in the system since i bought it more than half a year ago.

If its not DS level of success its not a success right? Don't think any other non Nintendo handhelds have hit 50M, hell none of those even hit 20M.

Its a shame I don't have enough time to play more handheld games. My DS and my PSP get neglected alot, but that's going to change soon cause I'm start taking those bitches to work :lol

apoc_reg

Neo Member
50 million wow! So do you reckon the PSP is the first console in history where hardware sales outweigh software sales?!!? :D

andthebeatgoeson

Averon said:
You barely see DS games in the top 10 either. Handheld games sell less. Consumers are different than you typical gaffer.

Jammy

Banned
skinnyrattler said:
You barely see DS games in the top 10 either. Handheld games sell less. Consumers are different than you typical gaffer.

I believe only two or three PSP games charted all year, those being Crisis Core: FFVII, God of War: CoO, and Iron Man. Only the first two were in the top ten for one month, and all three dropped out a month after. That's a stark contrast to what DS games do and how often they chart, especially when looking at Europe.

zoukka

Jammy said:
I believe only two or three PSP games charted all year, those being Crisis Core: FFVII, God of War: CoO, and Iron Man. Only the first two were in the top ten for one month, and all three dropped out a month after. That's a stark contrast to what DS games do and how often they chart, especially when looking at Europe.

lole

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Sony's choice of GPU this time will still allow them to push high-end graphics yet won't cost them an order of magnitude more in silicon and three times the clock rate than many mobiles like last time.

Jokeropia

DarkMehm said:
* SCEA: Approx. 18 million units
NPD LTD: 14.5 million. What other regions do SCEA handle? Canada, Mexico, South America?
Averon said:
skinnyrattler said:
Some more data:

07l.jpg

With consoles included:

15l.jpg

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
zoukka said:
How many have you finished? :)

i dont usually finish games....i'd say like 2 or 3 are actually "finished" in that there is no reason for me to ever play them again.

I play all kinds of games, even bad ones.

Hcoregamer00

bcn-ron said:
Is the PSP region locked? I thought it was open in that regard?

I meant in regard to having those games limited to the Japan to most people because of the language barrier.

I know the PSP is region free, I have many PSP games in Japanese
-Initial D
-Ikkitousen: Eloquent Fist
-Final Fantasy Dissidia
-Phantasy Star Portable
-Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2 (in transit)

funny how this article pops on here today and i just made an observation on my lunch break today that i see tons of people at work (i work at a college) not even using it for games. i see them staring at it while they smoke and you can obviously hear an episode of the office on it.

they even have them.... uhhh.... "pimped", i guess you could say. dumb stick-on cases that look like they came from a cart at a mall. at least more people are picking them up for whatever reason.

Top Bottom