• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 games. 1 Year. 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Claiming this post.

Fq4Pucv.png

Game 1 - The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Wii U VC) - Started January 20th

14 hours 47 minutes played. Just starting the Ice Palace, slowly nearing completion. Got most hearts and items up to this point.
Personal rating: TBA

89RSeA0.jpg

Game 2 - Minecraft: Xbox One Edition (Xbox One) - Started January 3rd | Finished January 13th

34 hours played. Completed all achievements, obtained all end game items, killed the dragon and saw the credits.. Considering this complete for now as I won't be picking it up until there are more updates. I still greatly prefer the PC version but this is a very close second. Beautiful, smooth and near endless game play.
Personal rating: ★★★★★★★★☆☆

2P3FIh5.png

Game 3 - Forza Horizon 2 (Xbox One) - Started January 1st

20 hours played. Mainly just driving around grabbing all collectibles (Signs, Roads etc.) and tuning cars. Great racing game. Plenty of stuff left to do before I'm done with this.
Personal rating: TBA

cjq1gG7.png

Game 4 - Bioshock (PC) - Started December 2014 | Finished Febuary 3rd

18 hours played. The PC port is pretty bad, ran into a lot of issues with mouse sensitivity and sound, aside from that, one of the most atmospheric and beautiful games I've ever played. I'd highly recommend reading the prequel book "Rapture" before playing, it increased my enjoyment of the game ten fold.
Personal rating: ★★★★★★★★★☆

x8F9wuW.jpg

Game 5 - SteamWorld Dig (PC) - Started Febuary 3rd | Finished Febuary 3rd

5 hours 18 minutes played. Great game, thoroughly enjoyed it beginning to end. Slightly shorter than I'd have hoped, I was pretty sad to see it end so soon.
Personal rating: ★★★★★★★☆☆☆

octopiggy

m4xSdgU.jpg

Game 4 - Hexcells Plus (PC)
Completed all puzzles.
Another puzzle game to add to the list. This game is so clever. I played the first one last year and loved it so snatched the next two during the Steam sale. I'm certainly glad I played them in order because I found this one really tough. Sometimes getting stuck for a long period of time became frustrating but ultimately made finishing a puzzle a real accomplishment. I still have a couple of puzzles left to perfect so plan on doing that soon.

ny4qNRv.jpg

Game 5 - Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat (Gamecube)
Beat the final boss to see the credits.
I'm a big fan of unique gaming experiences andd this certainly is that. You would think like the bongos would be awful for controlling a platformer like this but once you get used to them the fluidity of your movement is really satisfying. A very cleverly made game that I would recommend to anyone looking for a game that's unlike anything else. I don't think I will be collecting all the platinum emblems, but I would like to unlock all the remaining levels.

jPTowrN.jpg

Game 6 - Fire Emblem (Gameboy Advance)
Beat Eliwood's story on normal.
I started this game last year but got fatigue about 3/4 of the way through. It's certainly an epic! The trailer for the new 3DS game prompted me to finally finish it and I'm really glad I did. The cast and setting are great. I loved picking and equipping your troops and then plotting the course of action before wiping out all the enemies on screen. I find it to be a really involving game that requires your full attention and preferably needs you to play chapters in one sitting to remember where you were. At times this could become exhausting, especially when a unit dies and I'm compelled to restart. I also find some aspects of the game to be overly confusing and spent most of my time with the game with my laptop open next to me while I googled the best way to deal with my troops. It's really got me pumped for the next 3DS game but I can't see myself revisting the game anytime soon. Has anyone seriously completed all three stories on hard mode and unlocked all supports?

Updated OP

LX_Theo

Banned
Update - At 6 games
vDJwFk4.png

Game 6: Saints Row 4 - 13 hours [PS3, Jan 27th]
# I do enjoy this series quite a bit. Not so much the open world activities, but the over the top, humorous world and story. It doesn't hurt that I made my character a hot Latino lady with the voice of Nolan North. That never hurts at all. The clothing selection wasn't as good as I expected. It wasn't small, so much, but the variety only really came when it got to the over the top costumes. There was a lot of basic stuff too. It didn't seem like there was very much of the in between. The superpowers were really fun. Once my jump and sprint were properly upgraded, they really started to shine.

Original Post

Paskil

Reserving for ongoing updating.

Game #1 - Don't Starve - Started in 2013. Beat Adventure mode in 2015.
I beat Adventure Mode. I got a huge feeling of satisfaction from it since I failed miserably a bunch of times before finally succeeding. I think I'm done with this game for a while. Still, I can't believe the amount of hours I put into this game in both modes through 2014 and into 2015.

Game #2 - Knack - Took me one week in January 2015 to beat
I wanted to play this because I thought there might be a decent game to find. There was a lot of criticism at launch for many reasons, some justified, some not. I jumped in playing on "Hard" difficulty. The game was fairly unforgiving at times, and could be especially brutal. Overall, I enjoyed the game and had some fun with it.

Game #3 - Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Started Mid-January 2015
(currently underway)

Game #4 - Dying Light - 1/27/2015. Beat 2/13/2015.
Really fun game. Definitely going to come back in a bit for coop, but onto other games!

Game #5 - Journey - Started Mid-January 2015
(currently underway)

Game #6 - Castle Crashers - Started and finished 2/7/2015
Had played this in the past, although not to completion. Started a new game with my cousins and we went through the entire game in one session. Fun game.

Game #7 - Super Mario World - Finished 2/7/2015
Beat this years ago, numerous times. Still, played through in its entirety in a weekend with my cousins. Just as good now as when it was released.

Game #8 - The Walking Dead (S1) - Starting 2/13/2015

Game #9 - inFamous First Light - Starting soon.

Game #10 - Apotheon - Starting soon.

Game #11 - Monaco - Starting 2/13/2015.

Original post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=145879561&postcount=485

Game 3: Words for Evil - I spent about 3 hours going through the game on Zen difficulty (I've heard in Pro difficulty enemies attack too fast).
It looked like interesting bundle trash and it serves its purpose well but like so many other bits of bundle trash it just needs that little bit extra touching up. The default view reeks of mobile phone port, no problem I can put the graphics to wide...which apparently still isn't 16:9. Other issues are I can buy stat boosts but I can't actually see the stats being raised in most cases and for being a word game is it a shame you can't actually see what words you have used (yet it still seems to track this is the statics window is to be believed...I'm getting flashbacks of Mario Kart 8 coins here). As far as replay value goes I've got some more party members to unlock. The last level is endless so I quit after beating the final boss and getting the last book (which maxes your party members levels...sadly the one party member that needed this most died during the final battle leaving the other two who were practically there already).

BuddyL33

Neo Member
Game #1 - inFamous: Second Son - Started Jan 2015 Finished Jan 2015

Game #2 - Castelvania: Lords of Shadow 2 - Started Jan 2015 - Unfinished

Game #3 - Dragon Age: Inquisition - Started Jan 2015 - Unfinished

Game #4 - Dying Light - Started Jan 2015 - Unfinished

MattyG

Banned
header.jpg

1) Year Walk - 2.5 hours
Really lovely puzzle/adventure game with some very interesting storytelling.

header.jpg

2) Q.U.B.E Director's Cut - 2.8 hours
It obviously apes Portal at early every turn, but it does just enough original to be really great.

header.jpg

3) Final Fantasy IV - 25 hours
The first FF game I've ever played to completion, and it really hooked me on the series. I'm going to be playing way more of these over the next year.

header.jpg

4) Jazzpunk - 1.7 hours
I loved this game for every second of it's short length. Some people may find the constant barrage of jokes, references, and internet humor to be offputting, but I thought it was a nice change of pace from what I've been playing lately.

header.jpg

5) Star Wars: Republic Commando - 9.1 hours
An amazing mix of Halo-style shooter mechanics and Rainbow Six squad mechanics. Republic Commandos is without a doubt one of the best thing to come out of the Prequel Trilogy.

header.jpg

6) Grow Home - 5 hours
A short and sweet game that feels just as good to play as it does to look at. Must be from some amazing indie de... Ubisoft?

NI2eZJr.jpg

7) The Order: 1886 - 9 hours
A promising start for what will hopefully be a great new fanchise. It's not for everyone, but it's worth giving a shot.

header.jpg

8) Hotline Miami 2 - 6+ hours
At first, I was a little disappointed in the follow up to the fantastic Hotline Miami, but the more I play it the more I understand its levels and mechanics, and the more I come to love it.

header.jpg

9) Dying Light - 11+ hours
One of the biggest surprises of the year so far, Dying Light is incredibly fun due to the way it handles player movement and indirect combat. It's even better in co-op.

A3d11YS.png

10) inFamous: First Light - 6+ hours
Second Son disappointed me quite a bit, but First Light improved in almost every area and didn't overstay its welcome.

header.jpg

11) Cities: Skylines - 7+ hours
I've only scratched the surface of Cities: Skylines, but it's already an excellent game to play when taking a break from more action-oriented titles.

YIVe1iS.jpg

12) Bloodborne - 35 hours
A perfect spiritual sucessor to the Souls series, Bloodborne presents an amazingly rich and detailed world with deep and challenging gameplay. The best game on PS4, without a doubt.

7j94P8m.jpg

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - 6 hours
I enjoyed The Old Blood, but not nearly as much as The New Order. It just left me wanting to play TNO again for the fifth time.

uzIttej.jpg

14) Batman: Arkham Knight - ~20 hours
By far my favorite of the Arkham series, it's a fitting ending to the best superhero story every told in gaming.

ZPvZvZK.png

15) Star Wars Battlefront - 20+ hours
I finally got around to playing the original Battlefront again, and it was a blast. The circumstances behind it made my time with it even better. I was visiting a friend who lives very far away now. His father had just passed away, and we were looking for something to do, but we then realized that we both played Battlefront as kids. We found a used copy and played it every chance we got for the next week. Even his sister and mother got in on it. It was by far my favorite gaming experience this year.

pEFOap4.jpg

16) Shovel Knight - 6 hours
I've never been big of platformers, since I'm generally terrible at them, but Shovel Knight may have just sucked me into the genre.

DcCNogT.jpg

17) Metal Gear Solid - 8 hours

NI3xiRN.png

18) Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker - 15 hours

guild_wars_2___steam_grid_view_custom_image_by_superjoeuk-d573kng.png

19) Guild Wars 2 - 20+ hours (and counting)

xhn7H0m.jpg

20) The Elder Scrolls Online - 17+ hours (and counting)

transistor00.jpg

21) Transistor - 5 hours

header.jpg

22) Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs - 2.8 hours

KOcagZu.jpg

23) Everybody's Gone to Rapture - 5 hours

fHEdESO.jpg

24) Destiny - 20+ hours

oxidax

Does a DLC count as a game? Meaning, I just finished forza horizon 2 and im thinking about getting Storm Island sometime this year. When I get it and I beat it, can I include it as a game since its a different map and different events and all that?

Teggy

Original post

Game 8: Law & Order Legacies - 8.5 hours
# Played on MAC, finished 1/27. I am a huge L&O junkie, so it's surprising it took so long to get this out of my library. Music and audio/visual cues are true to the series, and the cartoonish depictions of the characters is surprisingly effective. On the other hand, with the exception of Briscoe the portrayal of the characters is mostly passable, and in the case of Benson, pretty bad. The cases are for the most part pretty forgettable, although the overarching story that finally comes together in episodes 6 and 7 is not bad. The L&O game I played in the early 2000s (Dead on the Money) had much more interesting gameplay and the bonus of the actual voice actors. In that game you could fail to build your case and greatly affect the trial. In this game you mostly go through the motions and there seems to be very little effect to your actions in the long run unless you really tank everything. There are a lot better games of this type out there, so it's hard to even recommend this to Law & Order fans.

Bacon

Game 1 - Spec Ops: The Line - 5 Hours

Excellent game. Made me think about the consequences of these shooters that I've been mindlessly playing for years. Probably one of the most interesting stories I've ever seen in a shooter. Bravo.

Game 2 - The Walking Dead Season 2 - 10 Hours

I really enjoyed this game. I was skeptical of having clementine in another game, I thought they may be better suited to just moving on but I was proved wrong. Clementine was easily the strongest part of season 2 and it was really cool to see her maturation and expansion of her character. Overall I quite enjoyed this season, there was an excellent villain who I wished stuck around for longer but the last two episodes were also quite good even without him. I'm very excited to see what the future holds for this franchise especially with how the last episode ended. It will be an interesting challenge for Telltale.

Teggy

Original post

Game 9: Hate Plus - 5 hours
# Played on MAC, finished 1/27. The story of Analogue: A Hate Story continued, but with really all semblance of a game pulled out. It's hardly really a visual novel in the sense that there's really no visual aspect. But it is a very good science fiction/political story delivered in a unique way. And I baked a cake.

Original post

xm3okEsl.png

7. Child of Light (PC)
Completed everything but the last battle on Expert, then the last battle on Casual.
It's been a while since I've been as angry at a game as I am with Child of Light. It's got gorgeous artwork and a fantastic soundtrack, but it's let down by one of the most frustrating battle systems I've seen in a while. And since most people seem to think Child of Light is way too easy, I'm left to assume that the problem isn't necessarily the game, but myself. Child of Light and I simply do not agree with one another.

The hybrid battle system has you and the enemy take turns in a Final Fantasy active time battle-style system, where turns take a set period of time and mucking about with the timeline is encouraged. You'll get the usual haste/slow/stop spells, and there's the additional tweak of being able to slow enemies using your tiny spirit companion, Igniculus.

Sounds good so far. But especially on Expert, the timing is harsh and unforgiving once you get deep enough into the game. Enemies will routinely outpace you unless you actively attempt to slow them with Igniculus. After attacking you, they'll jump back closer to the cast bar than most of your characters ever will. And attempting to interrupt their attacks largely ceases to be a viable option halfway through the game, as enemies will punish you for interruptions to the point where you're much, much better off forgetting that interruptions are even possible. Meanwhile, when you get interrupted, it's usually a straight loss for you. Aurora has a counterattack and Rubella can counter-heal sometimes, but that's about it.

By the time I got to the final boss battle I'd long since had enough of the game's bullshit. The last section before the boss is essentially death by attrition, which isn't fun for anyone. So after losing to the final boss, I snapped and dropped the difficulty to Casual. I don't care if it's for babies, I just wanted the game over with so I could forget its existence. And yet, it is a very pretty game and I like Aurora as a protagonist and the game systems themselves could be salvaged. But Child of Light was more often a slog than a joy, and that's a huge shame.

P.S. Whoever decided that healing outside of battles should be done very, very slowly using multiple cycles of Igniculus's meter should find a new profession that would better reward their sadism. No one likes spending five minutes doing nothing but holding down the mouse button or waiting for the firefly meter to recharge just so your party can be restored to full health.

Spyware

Main post!

header.jpg

01-27-15 - Game 9: The Walking Dead: Season One - 16-ish hours with some idle time
I noticed my save file was gone and I realised I wanted to play this again before the second season anyway. I didn't like it a lot the first time I played but this time I went into it with a different mindset and played Lee a bit differently. I guess the former made the biggest difference but the latter helped too. I played as
Kenny's friend
all the way through, being a bit asshole-ish at times when I felt I could see why Lee would be.
Like not even try being kind to Larry after he tried to kill Lee.
I was also completely honest and more quiet, not always jumping into the discussions. This made some scenes way better than I remember them from before,
espceially anything involving Kenny in the last episode.

header.jpg

01-28-15 - Game 10: The Walking Dead: Season Two - about 9 hours
I actively disliked the first episode when it came out and didn't really feel like I wanted to play the rest (then). This time it was a bit better but I still dislike everything up to the point
where you meet the cabin group.
As a whole the season has some really high points tho and I liked (or loved to hate) most of the characters a bit better than the ones from the first season.

OP

Game 4: Infamous: First Light (PS4) - ~7 hrs

Free plus game. Haven't played any Infamous games since the original but this was a lot of fun. I enjoyed the neon powers and traversal was much improved. I wish there was more story/free roam content but this wasn't bad for a standalone add-on by any means. The challenge modes were a lot of fun made up at least half of my overall playtime.​

Game 5: Resident Evil (PC) - 6 hrs, 8 mins *

Really glad to be able to play this one again. Played through with Jill on normal. The aqua ring is still the scariest part of any game I've played for me. I look forward to going through the game more to cover all modes/endings.​

Game 6: Coming Out On Top (PC) - 3 hrs~

Nice little VN/dating sim. There will be some notable content additions in the future so I'll be sure to come back to this one for those as well as the other routes.​

Game 7: Persona 4 Arena Ultimax (PS3) - 9 hrs, 23 mins

Played through Arcade mode with each character, did score attack mode once or twice, and completed the story. Quite a bit easier than the original Arena title. The additions of Junpei, Yukari, and others was nice even if Junpei's new design is horrible.​

Game 8: Resident Evil: Revelations (PS3) - 5 hrs, 37 mins

Pretty good for what was originally a handheld title. Some of the enemies are a complete pain but the game introduced raid mode and some of my favorite characters so it evens out. I'd put it above RE6 but below 5 in quality.​

eot

Banned
Game 8: Escape Goat - 2.5 hours, Jan. 27th
It's a fairly good 2D puzzle platformer. Not exceptional in any way, but I did enjoy it. The mouse was a clever mechanic. I was a little surprised that it threw proper platforming challenges at me, these types of games usually lean more towards the puzzle side of things. When you beat the game you unlock quite a few optional, more difficult puzzles. I haven't done those yet, maybe I'll give them a go.

Does a DLC count as a game? Meaning, I just finished forza horizon 2 and im thinking about getting Storm Island sometime this year. When I get it and I beat it, can I include it as a game since its a different map and different events and all that?

I think you can decide that for yourself. Last year I counted the Dishonored DLC as separate games, I think some other people did too.

StingX2

YiTS357.jpg

Game Beaten #13 Watch_Dogs: Bad Blood (X360) - 10 Hours
(Started 1/26/15 - Finished 1/28/15)
This was very very glitchy but actually way better than the original game. Easy reason? This game has a protagonist with personality! T-Bone has a character history, quirks, and other elements that make him more of a human than Aiden Pierce. The main campaign was only 10 missions but it offered a bunch of variety to the campaign the vanilla game lacked.

OG Post

Dryk

:( I'm really struggling.

I powered through Wind Waker in the first 5 days, then got 80% through Toads Treasure tracker!

now i'm about 5 - 20% through 10 games... with no interest
I try not to have too many plates spinning at once because I never finish any of them. I've been more or less limiting myself to 1 game for console/PC and handheld (currently Uplink which I should finish soon and Ace Attorney 2).

dcassell

Banned
Tried this last year. After I abandoned it and seriously built my backlog, I want to take this on as a way to review each game I play, and think a bit more on what I play. Count me in on here. Gonna do it this year, for sure. Post reserved.

1. Dragon Age: Inquisition (PC) - 65 hours COMPLETED
Loved this game, although I don't think I could ever do a run to get everything in the game. Since I'm in college, I probably made a small mistake buying this when most of my schedule includes a fair amount of check marking lists in my. Luckily, I polished this off over winter break, although I rushed through the final act of the game in the interest of finally being able to play another game. The most time I put into a game this year, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Had to put on some records at certain points while doing side quests and exploring at certain points. Easily have 3 areas left to fully explore, but I'm done. Can't do any more now that winter term is about to begin.

2. Monument Valley (iOS) - 1 hr, 30 min~ COMPLETED
A great iOS experience. I can't usually can't into touch screen games, but I couldn't ignore the hype surrounding this after I got an iPad Air for Christmas. A great two-ish hours of entertainment for the 3 dollars I paid. Easily finished it in a few sittings, and was left with a smile on my face. Highly recommended.

3. A Story About My Uncle (PC)- 2 Hours COMPLETED
I'm not sure what the story about this game is, but WOW what a cool little game. I'm a huge fan of Bionic Commando, and the grappling hook gameplay that you use to get around in those games. This game transfers that to a first person space, and throws in some of the coolest environments I've ever seen in a game from such a small studio. There is some stuff that seems off. The VO is pretty bad, and almost monotone at times, to the point where I was taken out of the story on occasion while analyzing it. It sounds like this wasn't originally written in English, and they tried to have people who didn't speak English do the voice acting. Very similar to how Heavy Rain sounds. But the gameplay is beyond solid, and I loved traversing the environments.

4. Far Cry 4 (PS4) - 13 hours ~UPDATED~ IN PROGRESS
This has been a really steady "I have an hour, so I'm gonna do some sidequests" type of game. Really, genuinely fun gameplay, and the stealth is extremely enjoyable. Framerate and IQ on the PS4 is comprable to what I was getting on PC, albiet at 30 fps. I haven't noticed huge drops, and the game looks gorgeous. Trying to get to 100%, minus all the item boxes. Currently sitting around 50% and conquered the second fortress with all outposts and radio towers captured in the south half of the map.

5. FRAMED (iOS) - 1 hour COMPLETED
This is a cool little game, although I'm not sure it quite deserves the praise that everyone has been throwing at it. I liked my time with it, but at the end of the hour it took to beat it, I was getting a little tired of the one gameplay mechanic and was upset I couldn't speed up video playback to skip the 30 second clips when I was trying to just switch one panel. I suppose if I was good enough it wouldn't be an issue, but I still had to sit around waiting a good portion of the second half of the game. Also, maybe I wasn't paying attention enough, but the story was very vague and I had no clue what was happening other than the beginning of the game.

6. Grim Fandango (PS4) - 2 hours IN PROGRESS
Wow, what an awesome experience. I pre-ordered this a while ago and didn't think I was going to get that into it (I always tend to give up and check guides when it comes to P&C adventure games). Sat down to play it and sunk 3 hours into the first area of the game. Got horribly stuck, but figured it out eventually and am now in the second section of the game. Intend to beat this one. The characters and world is just too good, and I haven't really enjoyed an adventure game this good since I first played King's Quest VI when I was a little kid.

7. Resident Evil: REmake (PS4) - 5 hours ~
Another title from way back that I never got a chance to play. Very similar to Grim Fandango in that you're set off into the world with no real direction other than "Investigate that side of the mansion." I get strong Deadly Premonition vibes from this game, as in it took me about 3 hours to really get a grip of the game mechanics. Once I figured out the map and how enemies move/react, I kind of understoof how this is such a classic. The level design is brilliant, almost Metroid-vania like, and I had no idea that was what I was getting into when I picked up the game. This is also one I've attempted to play several times, but always got stuck on. Once I got the ball rolling with the first few keys in the mansion, the checklist mentality of uncovering those places you just couldn't get to before started to sink in, and I got hooked. 2 sittings of 2 1/2 hours later, I just beat the Crimson Head in the coffin in the graveyard and am making my way to the forest. Such a horrifying game. The camera angles and sound design really lend to an environment where you're not entirely sure what's gonna be there when the camera switches angles. Legitimately can't play it without my dog cuddling with me, and it's gotten to me worse than any other survival horror game I've played, including Silent Hill 2.
Last edited by dcassell; Today at 05:47 PM.

Just updated my original post, got a few more games down and have started some remastered classics that I'm quickly burning through.

I try not to have too many plates spinning at once because I never finish any of them. I've been more or less limiting myself to 1 game for console/PC and handheld (currently Uplink which I should finish soon and Ace Attorney 2).

I'm the same, I get through games more effectively if I don't play too many games at once. Otherwise I just end up dumping the majority of them a few hours in.

Duxxy3

I think I may have broken my own record with 11 games finished in a month. Well there is still room for another...

Labadal

Original Post

Game 7: The Wolf Among Us - 7,7 Hours
PC

I guess it was decent. It started out good, but I found the final episode to be the weakest. Writing was not bad and the graphical style was good. In general, it had good audio, I mean music and voice acting was good enough. What I felt like is that my choices would probably not have mattered that much. I liked it, but I'll probably forget everything about it in a couple of days.

BraXzy

Update post from the past week or so - Original Post HERE

xLqXqSJ.jpg

Game 8: Metal Gear: Ground Zeroes - 2 hours - 20/01/2015 - PS4

I've never played a Metal Gear game before since I've never owned a PS console myself till now, shoot me I know, I've missed out. I know roughly what the series is about and how the gameplay is, so I wasn't going in completely blind.

I haven't done all the side ops or collected everything but I've finished the main mission which I think is technically completing the game? I absolutely loved it. It took me a few tries to get into the stride of stealth and getting used to the mechanics of the game but when it clicked it was bliss. So much fun in a tightly packed small-ish environment. The level design is brilliant, it is so much fun just finding multiple ways to do things.. I will definitely be doing a tonne of replays of this. The story as well seems really intriguing even though I only saw snippets from this big universe, I've got some catching up to do. I can't wait for MGS V now!

The main negative I had if any is that it was quite short and sweet, at least the main mission. I would've been annoyed if I got it full price but since I got it fairly cheap digitally I'm not too fussed.

4Q08XTf.jpg

Game 9: The Room - 2 hours - 28/01/2015 - PC

I heard good stuff about this when it came out but never picked it up. Finally played it and the epilogue and I'm glad I did. Really unique, very clever puzzles. Some were too obscure in my opinion but I very rarely got stumped. The fact it had an interesting little story to follow was a nice addition. It's a shame that it isn't really all that replayable but that can't really be helped. Had a few issues with the controls going wonky during certain sections but it mainly worked really well. Will definitely be picking up the sequel at some point.

ejDYCw6.jpg

Game 10: Driveclub - 10+ hours - 29/01/2015 - PS4

Since the game doesn't really have any kind of end due to its nature, I figured I'd treat it in the same way as a multiplayer game since I've easily played 10 hours already. I bought this game mainly because of the GIF thread that popped up and also to populate my new PS4's library.

I'd like to preface my thoughts by saying that I am not a big racing game fan. I very rarely play them and I've never had them click. I can count on my hands the total racing games I've played. So I wasn't really expecting to enjoy Driveclub that much. It turns out that it has sunk its claws in and I love it! The graphics are stunning, the racing feels fun but just punishing enough that things take practice. The social aspect of it works much better than I expected, all of the various challenges, leaderboards etc. add to the replayability and competitiveness of everything. Will probably end up getting the season pass.

JTripper

Original Post

Game 5 - Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (Wii U): Completed on 1/29/15 - 5 Hours

- One of my favorite games of 2014. I like that there are multiple collectibles and special objectives in each level and even surprise bonus stages. The game is a little short for $40 and it's camera is a bit tough to maneuver around sometimes, but it's fun, charm, and originality make it worth it. I'm hoping for a sequel and it's the first game that actually makes me want to buy any accompanying amiibo for extra content as well as show my love for Toad.

KyleP29

Original Post

Game 5: Dragon Age: Inquisition (50 Hours)(PS4) – 1/22/2015

Not sure what to say about this game. I often found myself lost in this game for hours on end. I really enjoyed exploring the different worlds presented and some of the side quests were really enjoyable to work through. The combat wasn't that deep, but i still enjoyed mixing up the party and playing around with all the differences each build could add. In the end the game just wasn't for me. It has been a long time since i played a game with a large party system and i just did not enjoy trying to manage all 9 individual skill trees and gear. Between trying to equip and alternate inventory and exploring dialogue options each time i went back to skyhold it just felt like it took forever to get back into the game play and it really wore on me as the game progressed to the point where i rushed through the final few main quest missions to finish up. I can see where many might enjoy the game, it just wasn't what i was looking for.

Game 6: Bayonetta 9 Hours)(Wii U) – 1/28/2015

I never played this back on my PS3 and figured i would run through it before i dive into bayonetta 2. It took me a little bit to get into but once it did i really enjoyed it. The combat was smooth and fun, quite a few levels really stood out as unique and a blast to play, and even the story kept me engaged which in a game like that can be difficult. I am really looking forward to digging into bayonetta 2 now as a result.

dougalism

Neo Member
Game 3 - Persona 2 :Innocent Sin PSP

I really enjoyed this and it was much, much better than Persona 1 PSP. The story was fantastic and I really hope
doubt
Atlus put the demon negotiation and rumour system into Persona 5. The only negatives I can think of is the battle system got a little dull towards the end, although that was partly my fault in grinding persona levels too much and for a MegaTen game it was pretty easy.

The Backloggery fortune cookie has now selected .Hack // GU Vol 1 Rebirth PS2

Hopefully enough time has passed since I played the original .Hack quadrilogy, as that got quite dull towards the end.

Dryk

Original post

Game #8: Uplink: 13.7 hours

uplink_banner.png

I really enjoyed this, it does a great job of making hacking simple without abstracting it like a lot of games do. Even if all you're doing is applying hacking tools to things that need hacking the game's dedication to its theme is admirable. Even the main menu and UI have very little concessions to being a game, Uplink wants you to be able to easily forget that it's a game.

I do have a few problems with it however. Permadeath, while another interesting concession to "realism", is a pain in the arse and I generally just backed up saves to get around it. The mission variety is too low for the game to hold your interest for the 14 hours it took me to beat it, and it takes about a month* for the main quest to show up, and even then the first mission is very easily missed or failed and the time between subsequent missions is about a week*. That's a shame because the "final boss" is really fun.

*The game runs in real-time but it has a generous fast-forward. You will use the fast-forward a lot, because the optional missions are also drip-fed to you.

Ladekabel

January:

Game 1: Kingdom Hearts Final Mix HD (PS3): One of my favorite childhood games. Still love it though it took longer to get going than I remembered.
Game 2: The Wolf Among Us (PC): I like it. I even prefer it to The Walking Dead S1.
Game 3: Armillo (WiiU): Some nice ideas, but not fully thought-out. Some things were difficult for the sake of difficulty.
Game 4: Persona 4: Golden (Vita): Love it! Sneaked into my All Time Favorite list. Will definitly make a NG+ run later this year.
Game 5: Child of Light (WiiU): Beatiful artdesign and wonderful soundtrack. Boring everything else. If it wouldn't be for OffTV-Play I wouldn't even have bothered playing it more than an hour.
Game 6: Injustice: Gods Among Us (PS4) (PS+): Cheesy story and presentation but I liked it. Made my through the SP with button mashing on easy.

Don't think I'll finish another game in January so I'll post the update. Currently playing Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty HD on PS3 and Shin Megami Tensei IV on 3DS.

Original Post
Fate_Extra_Cover_Art.png

Completed: 40 hours @ 1/30/15
Thoughts:
I'm a huge Fate/Stay Night fanboy and I've been itching to play this game since they announced it on the PSP. That's why I'm so glad they put it up for a digital download for the Vita. Gameplay wise, it's a pretty mediocre JRPG. The battle system is basically centered around paper-scissors-rock. Not a whole of depth to it really. It's also not a meaty RPG. There's few sidequests, cut & paste enemies, and the setting itself is just a high school + dungeons. But why I played it is for the story and characters. Twice in fact, this is my second playthrough via NG+. First time I played it was last month. Decided another go with a different route (so I don't miss out on best route - servant Archer + Rin) It's because I love Type-Moon's works and this game has oodles of references to it. Would I play it if I haven't read Fate/Stay Night before? Probably not, the game doesn't carry itself on its own (though it does have an interesting premise). But if you're a fan of the Fate franchise, it's worth checking out. And then lament in the fact that Fate/Extra CCC is still not localized... ;_:

Ongoing Games:
Gonna put Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel on hold. My co-op buddy hasn't been around lately and for me it's co-op or bust. Most likely will start Tales of Xillia NG+ (Milla's side) so I can finally play Tales of Xillia 2 (though not immediately, lengthy RPGs can take a lot of of you)

Hikami

85b40bbeeb.jpg

Game 14: Life is Strange
Episode 1
Playtime: 2:50
Started: Jan 29th, 2015
Completed: Jan 30th, 2015
// I'm liking it so far. I love these type of games, glad more devs beside Telltale are taking interest in episodic releases as well. The story is interesting and I'm liking the characters.
---
Original Post

Teggy

Original post

Game 10: Cinders - 5.25 hours
# Played on MAC, finished 1/30. The story and writing were interesting enough, but I don't think I'm going to be putting a lot of time into VNs going forward. Not really a genre that engages me.

Original Post

pJWhe1v.jpg

Game #5 - Strider

This game reminds me a lot of WayForward's efforts. Mechanically sound but just feels kinda bland to play, like they'd sanded every corner down until there were no corners anymore. Having said that though, when I put some time into it, there was a fun game in there, enough to get me to play it a second time for the speed run trophy.

I4j6Mf8.jpg

Game #6 - DriveClub

I wasn't really expecting to like this but man, I absolutely loved it. It managed to balance that line between arcadey and sim racing almost perfectly for my tastes and all the social stuff Evolution experimented with in Motorstorm RC (which I also loved) really worked. I might go back for the DLC at some point but finishing the Legend Trophy competition, getting to level 50 and platinuming the game is enough for me at the moment.

DnVLxMx.jpg

Game #7 - Life is Strange: Episode 1

So far, so good. The writing has been fairly good so far, with some good characters and quite a few choices that impact the story. The rewind mechanic is absolutely perfect for this genre as well, since I'd bet a lot of players re-load checkpoints in these kind of games, just to try different options. And the best part about this game is that it doesn't run like shit!

I'm excited to play the next episode, even if six weeks seems like a hell of a long time.

Also, since episodic games are a bit weird in regards to this thread, I think I'll just add episodes on to this entry (so episodes 2-5 will still be counted as Game #7). It just seems like a simpler way of doing it.

Currently Playing
  • Grim Fandango HD
  • Need for Speed: Most Wanted
  • Resident Evil Rebirth

Original Post: Games #1 - #6

NZlSuEh.png

Game #7: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - PS3
Completion: Completed Main Story
Personal Rating: ★★★★★★★★☆☆

This was the turning point for the Call of Duty franchise from an enjoyable, above-average historical shooter into the modern day, cinematic experience, mega-million-seller it is today. It is also arguably one of the best iterations on that modern experience. While the gameplay is just average, Infinity Ward does a really good job setting up a stage for you to play in. The story beats are dramatic and interesting, if not always plausible or logical, and each mission tries to make you interested in what is coming next. It's a very solid shooter even after all these years.

zJIX4me.jpg

Game #8: South Park: The Stick of Truth - PS3
Personal Rating: ★★★★★★★★☆☆

This was a surprisingly very well done game. I was surprised by the quality of the actual RPG underneath the coating of South Park's staple art style, animations and humor. I expected an average to below-average game sprinkled with South Park jokes and references. What I got, was a very good RPG with tons of South Park jokes and references. This is one of the few comedy games that actually made me laugh consistently, likely because it was written by actual comedians instead of game designers who think they're comedians. That said, the game is not without faults. I'm weary of games in which you can 'miss' content (and achievements) by not being at the right place at the right time - many of which you couldn't have possibly know without referencing a guide. The Stick of Truth has a good number of these moments and my trophy list suffered as a result. The difficult also has crazy jumps and plummets - where one boss will absolutely destroy your party repeatedly while the very next boss can be handled with ease. There seemed to be a lack of balance between status effect damage and direct damage. Enemies continously grow in defensive stats against direct attacks but effects like Bleed, Burn and Gross Out do massive damage consistently throughout the game. And the issue I found is that pretty much all bosses and minion enemies had this imbalance. There were very few instances where I wasn't able to use Bleed, Burn or Gross Out to devastating effect. It also encouraged using abilities (and weapon buffs) that removed huge chunks of enemy armor - permanently - to drastically increase your damage. Still, the rest of the mechanics are sound and enjoyable and the game was still a lot of fun to complete.

MD1L6Kw.jpg

Game #9: Dragon Age 2 - PS3
Personal Rating: ★★★★☆☆☆☆☆☆

I felt that Dragon Age: Origins was a decent first attempt in a new franchise, definitely a flawed experience that I expected the later entries to improve upon. Unfortunately, I think Dragon Age 2 is step backwards in almost every way. In what I have come to realize is a staple of Bioware writing, plothole after plothole and nonsensical dialogue matching up to completely contradictory gameplay results. Towards the end of the game, I sided with the Mages and had them clearly decree that not all mages use Blood Magic and they would never do so and then proceeded to use nothing but Blood Magic for the next 45 minutes of gameplay. However, the writing is only a minor concern when considering the rest of mechanical problems with the game. It is painfully obvious this was a rushed product, with so many reused areas, assets, enemies, and quest types. The entire game, including all side quests, take place in a small number of areas that are just reused and reorganized. Every cave, every dungeon, every sewer is the same layout. Every combat encounter plays out the same way, with enemies intentionally spawning behind your ranged characters (mages and rogues) to give the illusion of difficulty. In every single encounter. The ability trees suffer the same problems as Dragon Age: Origins in that the majority of the abilities are terribly balanced and the mapped ability bar only holding six main abilities. You end up with a system where only about 6 abilities are ever worth using and having (especially with the limitations of stamina and mana), and the other 20+ abilities are then worthless and only used to get further in the skill trees to access powerful passives. That said, there's a solid foundation, yet again, that could be built upon if given the time and resources to execute on something worthwhile. Unfortunately, Dragon Age 2 was clearly not given that time or resources to get the game right.

sI5WEyW.jpg

Game #10: Dragon's Crown - PS Vita
Personal Rating: ★★★★★★★★★☆

This was a really great action-RPG-beat'em up hybrid with a very unique art style. I played through the first ancient Dragon boss (since beating him completes the game but also unlocks harder difficulties to slay more ancient Dragons). The gameplay is really engaging and fun, but I often times lost track of my character with all the shit going on at the same time on the screen. I played most of the game solo but also a bit of co-op, and the game definitely gets better when played with others. The AI of your NPC party members is generally sufficient but there are several times when they clearly need to GTFO of a giant boss attack and don't. And die. They also stand in the fire. A LOT. In my playthrough, I used the Dwarf hero and his move set was pretty basic. He's amazing if you can stand on the ground and pound the crap out of a relatively stationary target. He's lacking in aerial combat and AoEs. I felt this was a pretty good balance and noticed that the other classes had similarly good balance in combat (Wizard is the boss of AoEs, Elf was pretty above-average across the board but not great or terrible at anything, etc.). I liked that each zone has two paths and tons of secret rooms and rune unlocks. I felt the rune system was a little convoluted with having to manually select the rune combinations every time, sometimes in the heat of combat, when 9 times out of 10 there was really only one combination available or worth performing. Other than that, I enjoyed this game a lot and will probably play it again.

Game 1 - Pokémon Alpha Sapphire
Playtime: 19:17

A decent remake. The length seems a bit short, and the same was for X/Y, but maybe I somehow just beat these games faster than I used to. Added improvements like the PokéNav Plus were good. The new Soaring in the sky was nice, too. I would've preferred for this to be based more on Emerald rather than Ruby/Sapphire. It is sad to see Game Freak didn't improve their battle engine, as the frame rate still drops a ton. The Elite 4 has the same special effects that take a ton of time up like in X/Y, so if it is like that when challenging them again, it will be a pain. Currently, I have only finished the Elite 4, which I consider to be the end of the main game.

Rating: 8/10

Game 2 - Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

Playtime: 5:34

An excellent expansion on the Captain Toad levels in Super Mario 3D World. The game uses an updated version of the 3D World engine, and it looks fantastic! Some of the levels were really creative, and the
last book
really stepped up the creativity and challenge. The game may have been a bit short, but this was just completing all the main levels. I also feel like any longer and it would have overstayed its welcome. I look forward to going back and getting 100%, and that is where the true challenge lies. I recommend this to any Wii U owner.

Game 3 - Punch-Out!!

Playtime: 2:58

Next Level Games did a great job at reviving Punch-Out! I have only completed up to being champion, so the game only took 3 hours. I am sure Title Defense will take at least another three, probably more, because of the increased difficulty. The game is a great value at $10. The gameplay is addicting as it makes you want to perfect your strategy against an opponent, even if it takes an hour. The artstyle is unique, and the dialog is a little corny, but it all makes a good and complete package.

Original Post

Two Three games in one day!

quabba

Well i dont think ill ever get to 52 games unless I play a tonne of short mobile games. It will be interesting to track my progress.

#1 Pokemon Omega Ruby
Started this when it came out and finished it off in the new year. I liked the new mechanics they added but given the region and pokedex made it the most boring entry in the serirs for me.

#2 Steamworld Dig (vita)
Lovely little game, I had fun digging through the 4.5 hours it took to complete.

#3 Final Fantasy X HD vita
I played through 90% of this game on release and then stopped before the end game. I really enjoyed the first 90% but picking this back up to finish it off was a slog.

#4 Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor (Ps4)
The combat and systems for the orcs was great. Had a lot of fun with this one.

#5 The Room iOS
Had this installed on my iPad for a while and decided to give it a go after seeing someone else completed it in this thread. I'm glad I did nice little puzzle game, I liked it more than I expected to.

In Progress I have ys Oath, Grim fandango, child of light, far cry 4. I want to finish one of these before jumping into anything else (but I probably wont)

Spyware

Main post!

K8kWROB.jpg

01-29-15 - Game 11: Koudelka - 20-ish hours?
I have for a long time wanted to get my hands on the Shadow Hearts series, but no luck. So I finally borrowed it from a friend instead. She also sent me Koudelka, a game I hadn't even heard about before, and explained that I just HAD to play that one before Shadow Hearts.
What a fascinating game! I don't know what to say about it actually. It's unique :D
Loved the enemies and voice acting. The canon ending is the best one, I'm glad my friend told me to get it (and how).
Losing against the last boss? What? What a concept! :D

header.jpg

01-30-15 - Game 12: Goat Simulator - 10 hours
I started this to have something "braindead" to play over some time. Seems I underestimated it! Was suprisingly fun to run around and do silly things, especially in the fantastic MMO Sim (the fake chat is superb!) and I had suddenly finished everything.
This is the very first and hopefully last time I play anything like Flappy Bird. GAH!

OP

Game 3 done.

Game 3 - The Wolf Among Us (PS4)
So much better than Walking Dead 2. Almost ridiculously so. Some of the episode endings were clearly designed for the waits between episodes, but I still found them exciting playing them in immediate succession. Really hope to see some sort of follow-up, but I don't think Telltale can manage 5+ projects at once.

RyseBanner.jpg

Game 3: Ryse: Son of Rome (Jan 31st 2015) - PC
Time played: about 5h

Now that's a game I didn't expect to play, between not owning an Xbone and only having a laptop to play PC games I never would've thought to I could, but Crytek did a fantastic job with the port.
As for the game itself, it's not as bad as everyone say it is but it isn't great either. I played it on the hardest difficulty and managed to beat it in one sitting. The game is pretty easy and the story is forgettable, it really only shine with it's graphics.

11/20

Original Post

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
The camera hates you, the physics are borked to all hell, townspeople are majorly screwed up, there's a ton of repeated cutscenes and bosses, glitches galore... that's Sonic Adventure for ya! Whaaaat? Did ya think I was describing Sonic '06 for some reason...??

Games Beaten: 07 / 52
Total Playtime: 69 hours, 03 minutes

01 - ??

Wozzer

Original Post

A little slow to update, but here's a chunk over the last half month...

#4: Metal Gear Solid - 8hours - Jan 12 2015
cX3gEUV.jpg

An absolute gaming masterclass, and my favourite series in all of video games. Every time I come back to play through it again I'm surprised how fresh and well aged it is from start to end, almost as remarkable today as it was at release. For the first time in this playthrough I opted to fail the torture scene and was surprised how much the subtle difference adds to Otacon's character. Will play again next year. 9.5/10

#5: Tearaway - 7hours - Jan 12 2015
cGm52db.jpg

I never quite took to the aesthetics of Tearaway and didn't feel the desire to pick it up until the price hit rock bottom in a recent sale. An absolutely beautiful game that oozes passion and attention to detail that's rare. Never have I played a game that uses so many different input and control mechanics, demonstrating the vast capabilities of its brilliant console, and all so flawlessly and well ingrained in the games core gameplay. Easily one of the best games for the PS Vita and a fantastic fully featured platformer, it's well worth the investment. 9.0/10

#6: Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers - 12hours - Jan 13 2015
SK2lbSh.jpg

The core game structure, its unraveling plot and compelling characters makes for a great story telling experience. It's a fantastic adventure that's absolutely crippled by aging terribly and some poorly designed puzzles. I unfortunately had to rely on a walkthrough with a handful of puzzles that were complete roadblocks. The lack of features now commonplace to the genre results in pixel hunting at a pixel resolution so small that you're lucky to make out an object at all, and the lack of direction or the ability to gain additional context can leave you with little to go on. I can imagine how remarkable the game was at release, it's a crying shame that the recent rework looks to have been executed poorly and didn't have a greater emphasis on maintaining the core experience with only quality of life improvements. I get the impression that Broken Sword was inspired heavily from the game, and fortunately for it was released at a time where the genre had evolved considerably. 8.0/10

#7: Portal - 3hours - Jan 20 2015
ed7RnwL.jpg

A game I come back to almost every year, and after having watched a few speed runs recently now is as good a time as ever. As brilliant today as it ever was, though standing aside its sequel it's variety and length has it stand out as a prototype than a full retail game. I feel a Portal 2 playthrough coming up soon, a game I've only actually played the once. 8.5/10

#8: Lovely Planet - 6hours - Jan 20 2015
MtW9a7j.jpg

An extremely quirky first-person platformer that has you needing to speedrun from A to B whilst avoiding a host of hazardous enemies and objects. Whilst levels can be as short as 20seconds it can take 10minutes to build up the muscle memory and pixel perfect reaction patterns to surpass them. A small dose of fun with unique gameplay but a little too shallow to be worth too much investment. 5.0/10

#9: Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse - Episode 1 - 8hours - Jan 20 2015
ZJBOqNm.jpg

This is my flight buddy having endured six long flight planes before coming to its episodic conclusion, though this is mostly thanks to the story having an extremely slow pace to start. Though I found my enjoyment grew dramatically as the episode passed the half way mark, where both plot and puzzles quickly become interesting and kept me engaged. It's not quite the Broken Sword I was hoping for (and have ever since the second installment) but it's a step in the right direction, particularly so with the decision to go back to the 2D visuals which are gorgeous. I'll remain hopeful for the concluding episode to come. 7.0/10

#10: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time - 3hours - Jan 20 2015
75I6v12.jpg

Another co-op completion with my daughter (third game already!) working through a SNES classic backlog. Given that it came out after Streets of Rage it's hard for me to over appreciate the nostalgic admiration the game has going for it, though I had enough of a blast working through the levels thanks to the varied environments, boss fights and occasional bonus minigame stages.6.5/10

#11: Framed - 1hours - Jan 25 2015
3jW4Lxk.jpg

A clever short mobile game that has you switching key frames in a comic-book style story telling experience to manipulate the sequence of events. It's over just as it starts to really make use of the potentially complex core mechanic and the story could have been expanded upon. I'd certainly like to see further use of the concept in a larger scale, particularly more story driven, experience. 7.0/10

#12: ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron - 2hours - Jan 25 2015
WZ6hXdu.jpg

Oh this game, a platforming spin on the Megadrive classic ToeJam & Earl. Whilst there's a good number of same-screen co-op games of this generation, for some reason my daughter took an interest in this particular one. It's likely related to her ability to entirely troll me at all opportunities, from running off screen and getting lost to finding every available path to proceed except the correct one. The core gameplay mechanic of finding and capture humans is dragged along repetitive levels and all in all results in an extremely dull adventure that losses all of the charm from its prequel. 3.5/10

#13: Mafia II - 10hours - Jan 31 2015
VKVK4Za.jpg

My feelings towards Mafia II are somewhat split, and that's mostly down to misplaced expectations. It's extremely linear in a world where you'd expect far more open world sandbox gameplay, with a heavily hand held story telling experience. In fact the large city is more burden than benefit as the game is artificially lengthened by an endless need to drive from one side of the city to the other. That said there's a solid story throughout that peaks at a handful of memorable moments, which is mostly thanks to the memorable cast. The last two chapters in particular were fantastic, particularly thanks to a superb conclusion that left me anticipating more. 8.5/10

Voliko

1.) 1/3 King's Field: The Ancient City (PS2) ~ 18 hours
2.) 1/8 Remember11: The Age of Infinity (PC) ~38 hours

3.) 1/30 Bionic Commando (NES) ~ 3 hours

Really nice game. I remember trying it a couple times a few years ago but was little put off. It's quite unique. Not being able to jump and having to use your bionic arm to swing around is fresh. I think I never fully realized you are supposed to hit down during the swing to cancel it mid-way in order to take different trajectories. The highlight for me are the sections where you have to swing with precision over death pits. Tense and satisfying. My progress has been slow, but If I play more NES games, I will get to 52 again for sure haha. It's one of the reasons I will always love NES games. Most get right to the point and don't waste your time.

I didn't realize until the last level that those things you get from the random enemies on the map are continues... I had to start from the beginning 2 or 3 times.I thought you were stuck with 2 continues to complete the game.

LX_Theo

Banned
Game 7 Update

1fsz7r0.png

Game 7: Life Is Strange - 3 hours [PS4, Jan 31st]
# Episode 1 - I knew this genre had a lot of room to grow and expand. The developers behind Remember Me have brought a fresh face and story to the adventure genre revolutionized and dominated by Telltale. Don't get me wrong, I love TellTale's take on this genre, but there is so much potential there. The story is good. The art has a realistic edge clashing with a very stylized artstyle that works very well. The story and characters are good bar a few cringeworthy moments that will hopefully be ironed out as they get a hang of this type of game. The worst thing there was the lip sync, which is another aspect they can iron out. The time rewind mechanic, instead of the excessively linear story route that may be feared with this, instead opens up opportunity for exploration and testing with the immediate impact of decisions. Very good start. Keep it up Dontnod (?).

Original Post

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Didn't know about this thread last year. But this year, it's on, bruh, it's on.

I'll post a summary around every end of month (sorry for the short and terrible impressions, I'm bad at this). All started and finished in 2015.

January:

#1: The Wolf Among Us - XBO ($15)
Loved it, the story, the characters, the setting, everything. Way better than TWD. But those technical issues.. 8/10

#2: Infamous: First Light- PS4, platinum'd (PS+ freebie)
Eh, Second Son in a different skin, it was ok. I enjoyed the arena challenges tho. 6/10

#3: The Swapper - PS4 (PS+ freebie)
A great atmospheric puzzler. Really liked it. 8/10

#4: OlliOlli - PSV ($3)
Fun indie title. 6/10

#5: Captain Toad - Wii U ($40)
Totes adorbs. 7/10

#6: Shadows Warrior - PS4 ($6)
Promising first half hour, fresh setting, nice atmosphere, seemed to have a decent sword combat.. annnnd then you start picking up weapons and the whole game is just killing hordes after hordes of brainless enemies. 2/10

#7: Assassin's Creed Unity: Dead Kings - XBO (Free)
Well, um, ahh.. More of Unity, I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 5/10

February:

#8: Kick & Fennick - PSV (PS+ freebie)
This was a nice surprise, at first. Half way in, welp, weird difficulty spike and cheap deaths. 4/10

#9: Apotheon - PS4 (PS+ freebie)
Nice and unique art style, crappy physics and combat. Plus the game crashed on me like 6 times. 4/10

#10: Transistor - PS4 (PS+ freebie)
I played this last year on my PC, and I still simply love every bit of it. The story, the art style, the music, the everything. 9/10

#11: Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris - PS4 ($8)
I liked Guardian of Light and this was more of that. 8/10

#12: The Order 1886 - PS4, platinum'd ($60)
Great atmosphere, solid gameplay but nothing special, a lot of pacing issues and missed opportunities. 7/10

#13: Alien: Isolation - PS4 ($45)
Frustrating. That's all I wanna say about this game. 6/10

March:

#14: Rayman Legends - XBO (GWG freebie)
Loved it back in 2013, still do. One of the best 2D platformers I've ever played. 8/10

#15: Valiant Hearts - PS4 (PS+ freebie)
Good 2D puzzler with great visuals and a decent war story. 7/10

#16: Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments - PS3 (PS+ freebie)
This game suffers from every technical issue I can think of, low framerate, streaming issues, pop-ins, screen tearing, and the list goes on. The game itself was decent. 5/10

#17: Ori and the Blind Forest - XBO ($20)
Great, great metroidvania title, in fact, it's my favorite one. 8/10

#18: Lego The Movie Video Game - PS4 ($20)
My first Lego game, and man what a boring, repetitive, tedious game it was. Never again. 3/10

#19: Resident Evil: Revelations 2 - PS4 ($40)
Surprised how much I enjoyed this title even though I'm not a fan of the serious. 8/10

#20: Bloodborne - PS4 ($60)
An absolute masterpiece and the best Souls title. 9/10

April:

#21: Gear of War: Judgment - 360 (GWG freebie)
Eh, I like this series, but this one was, as expected, a bad entry. The SP was nothing but a long, boring horde mode. 5/10

#22: Never Alone - PS4 (PS+ freebie)
A terrible, short puzzler. 3/10

#23: Titan Souls - PS4 ($20)
This was like a frustrating, indie version of SotC. 7/10

#24: MonsterBag - PSV (PS+ freebie)
Charming touch puzzler, terrible second half. 4/10

#25: Lords of the Fallen - PS4 ($60)
A terrible Souls wannabe. 5/10

#26: Star Wars Unleashed II - PS3 ($7)
A decent action title, highly repetitive with a bad combat system. 5/10

May:

#27: Mind: Path to Thalamus - Steam
Gorgeous puzzler, breathtaking scenes.. everything else was pretty bad. 4/10

#28: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - PS4 ($18)
Boring shooter, weak gunplay, and a terrible, terrible last boss. 5/10

#29: Torne - PS4 ($9)
An ICO-esque puzzler, very short, and very bad. 3/10

#30: The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt - PS4 ($58)
A really, really well made open world RPG and easily one of the best titles of current gen. The combat system was so-so tho. 9/10

#31: Halo: ODST - XBO (free)
Nice freebie for the MCC owners, still the worst Halo. 6/10

Game 7 Update

1fsz7r0.png

Game 7: Life Is Strange - 3 hours [PS4, Jan 31st]
# Episode 1 - I knew this genre had a lot of room to grow and expand. The developers behind Remember Me have brought a fresh face and story to the adventure genre revolutionized and dominated by Telltale. Don't get me wrong, I love TellTale's take on this genre, but there is so much potential there. The story is good. The art has a realistic edge clashing with a very stylized artstyle that works very well. The story and characters are good bar a few cringeworthy moments that will hopefully be ironed out as they get a hang of this type of game. The worst thing there was the lip sync, which is another aspect they can iron out. The time rewind mechanic, instead of the excessively linear story route that may be feared with this, instead opens up opportunity for exploration and testing with the immediate impact of decisions. Very good start. Keep it up Dontnod (?).

Original Post

I'll agree on the dominate bit but revolutionised? The credit for that should go to Quantic Dream. Telltale followed their lead, adapted it to their business model (episodic) and improved upon it (eventually anyway, Jurassic Park was a poor first attempt).

I agree with you about the game though. It's great to have some solid competition in the field, maybe that'll finally force Telltale to improve upon their shortcomings (and their HORRIBLE engine is a huge shortcoming).

sackninja

End of January update:

Game 6: Framed (ios): Great little game That's free on itunes today to celebrate australia day or something. When I say litte I mean little, beat it in about an hour, I think. Honestly don't think it's worth more than 99 cent but I really enjoyed it for free. Very clever gam mechanics and beautiful art and animation made it a pleasure to play but I wish after you replayed a scene a few times you could fast forward, some of the animations were quite long. Overall another great game 8/10. Update 1: Changed my mind about this one. Honestly, I don't remember anything much about the story now and in hindsight the gameplay did get a bit repetive. I think the fact I got it for free and the whole kojima's game of the year clouded my judgement. I'm going to drop it to a 7 out of 10. Still good though.

Game 7: Infamous First Light: Great stand alone expansion to a game I really liked. Honestly it did a lot of things bteer than second son. The side missions were better, the main character was more interesting and the arena combat was great. It made me think that Second Son could be better if side missions were designed for specfic powers. The area was the most fun I've had in an infamous games, that said I haven't played Infamous 2. I 100% completed the game. The single player was good fun and I'm very happy I got it for free. Would happily have payed for it. Hopefully other Sony games get expand alones like this. Overall 8 out of 10. Last game of January, overall every game in January has been good.

Feburary:
Currently playing: Dragon Quest: Downloaded this on my phone for playing on the bus. Not far in but enjoying it so far. Already not sure what I'm meant to do though.
Binding of Isaac: Rebirth: Will be playing this for a while longer still to get real platinum god. Still have done no lost and need to get 4th level cube of meat and bandage girl.

Doing pretty well so far. Been playing mostly great games as well. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=144732676&postcount=106

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom