• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The animation in Resident Evil 6 is nuts

Draft

It's too bad this deep and exciting melee system is buried beneath a bunch of boring levels with shitty bosses and bad pacing. I hate RE6.

Seyavesh

Totally agree that camerawork is crucial to creating a sense of physicality and impact. I think those examples in the pure white environment look great, but there are many more examples where the camera work is overly kinetic, and without a clean background it muddies up the action.

i agree, especially on stuff like the generic counters where it tends to focus in a really bizarre manner

but i think a large part of it is also related to the standard dark/muddy look of the game too. you can tell my gifs apart from the others (besides the lack of HUD, that is) in that there's a massive amount of contrast, saturation and brightness via sweetfx added as to offset the muddiness that is normally present within the game

also since someone mentioned it:
the last of us has incredible direction with it's camerawork btw- the animations themselves are decent but the combination of perfect camerawork and soundwork really, really sells them incredibly well

and since we're just going full on infinite gifs explode all browsers mode.. uh..
yeah..
3v9Pqmq.gif

9mRiwTE.gif

4yXtdmg.gif

Indeed. A lot of care went into that aspect of the game. I still revisit it for some Merca action once in a while and am always impressed by that.

It's too bad this deep and exciting melee system is buried beneath a bunch of boring levels with shitty bosses and bad pacing. I hate RE6.

Mercenaries is where the game shines. No Mercy co-op is some of the most fun I had last gen.

Kinyou

That there are different animations for vaulting and jumping depending on if you're in full sprint or not is a really nice detail

I remember replaying the final boss of Jake's campaign several times just to see all the different animations. The fight could have done to be more challenging/dynamic, but damn did they look great.

Jawmuncher

The melee is sadly the only good thing about the game. The DDTs and Hydra quickshots were my favorites.

I wish the hydra would have been as OP as it was in RE5. With star weaker if you dropped all other weapons you were a unstoppable force with that thing. high Ranks without even needing melee games time bonuses.

Trickster

I never noticed anything special about the animations. Even watching the gifs in this thread I still don't. Everything feels to quick and erratic.

I don't think this game would have been as shitty if it was just called something else. It's Resident Evil in name alone. How did they go from REmake to tombstone pile drivers and DDT's? This shit is laughable.

I don't think this game would have been as shitty if it was just called something else. It's Resident Evil in name alone. How did they go from REmake to tombstone pile drivers and DDT's? This shit is laughable.

Does the name really effect the quality somehow?

I've played the game a lot, but I've never seen some of the melee attacks in that video.

I love the attention to detail they put in all these animations, and they make you feel pretty powerful when you use them too.

Still one of the best combat systems in any TPS.

Went back to play some mercenaries this week and it is just insane how much unique melee and attack animation there is in the game.

Definitely adds a lot to Mercenaries having that in there. Makes it fun to experiment with the mechanics + different characters.

I'm Resi 6 Defence Force, admittedly, but I thought it was a fantastic-looking game overall.

RiZ III

I played through this game co-op one two xboxes/tvs side by side and it was fucking awesome. Went back and played RE4&5 and realized that RE6 really is the best playing version of any RE game. Setting and atmosphere have been better in others, but this one was definitely the most epic RE game I've played. It's crazy how much content this game has. It's like 5 games in one. My only real complaint was the "upgrade" system. RE4 & 5 had much better systems for leveling up weapons.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
No it would still be a shitty game regardless but this actually being a mainline Resident Evil game is just embarrassing to fans really.

Screw that, they're different games now but they're so much fucking fun. I've been a fan since RE2 and I thought RE6 was a total blast to play with friends.

I spent at least 100 hours on mercs, that game mode is absolute quality.

RE6 is awesome.

Haroldo

I would rather prefer RE to return to a gameplay similar to the one found in Zero to CV but seeing such complex and awesome system RE6 has go away seems such a waste...
I never played RE6 but you guys are doing a mighty fine job in convincing me to play it

I understand that some people can't help posting how much they dislike the game even though the OP asks you not to do so in the very first line of the first post but you have to acknowledge the level of care that went into the animations for every character. It far surpasses what you would expect to see in a standard TPS game (including those reload gifs).

Miker

Resident Evil 6 has the best enemy variety of any shooter I've ever played too. Love it to death. Also, the PC version at 1080p 60 FPS looks great in most locations. The character models for the main cast is also amazing.

Seik

Banned
People can hate on many things, like how it's not really RE, how it doesn't feel like RE, how the story went out the freaking window.

One 100% truthfact thing is that the gameplay is top notch. It's pretty much what redeems the whole game tbh. Especially when you're done with the story and take on Mercenaries, that shit is like the MEAT of the game, hahaha!

joe2187

Banned
I would rather prefer RE to return to a gameplay similar to the one found in Zero to CV but seeing such complex and awesome system RE6 has go away seems such a waste...
I never played RE6 but you guys are doing a mighty fine job in convincing me to play it

There is a lot of untapped potential with the combat engine in RE6. After playing RE6 all other TPS games just feel dull and clunky in comparison. The amount of freedom you are given to approaching the combat has been one of my favorite things introduced with RE4.

Melee+Gun combat is why I love the newer RE games, it makes the game infinitely replayable.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I still don't understand trying to separate a game from its name, either. "It is a good game but not a good Resident Evil game" is just a stupid statement. It is a good game. It is called Resident Evil. It is a good Resident Evil game shut up.

Famassu

There's a lot of different kinds of animation for all kids of situations, which is commendable, but I dunno, I don't think the animations themselves look all that good. Kind of janky in comparison to a lot of other games with high quality animations.

Gameboy415

I can see how some people might have issues with the story, but I thought the game play was incredibly fun and really enjoyed RE6!
I picked it up at launch on PS3 & cleared every scenario in single-player and recently went through the entire game a 2nd time with a friend on Steam. :)

Riposte

Anything you can do in Mercs, you can do in the campaign, only with more variety, a better sense of pacing in how you obtain tools/fight enemies (especially if you do the campaigns all at once), and much higher difficulty if opted (only lacking the difficulty of scoring, if that's what you value more). It has plenty of parts where the combat system is not utilized, but there's also more than enough parts where you do and within creative scenarios.

I don't understand what exactly is being compared to TLOU. Are people saying it's attack animations are more realistic? Well, yes, that game focuses on being gritty and has little stylistic flair, whereas RE6 is filled to the brim with it thanks to the melee, counter, etc. animations. It's like comparing a martial arts film's fight choreography to that of a thriller's. TLOU does have better passive animations, but I don't think that's the focus here.

I still don't understand trying to separate a game from its name, either. "It is a good game but not a good Resident Evil game" is just a stupid statement. It is a good game. It is called Resident Evil. It is a good Resident Evil game shut up.

Tragic flaw found in many people, even enthusiast gamers who are yap on about "gameplay first", is that they don't realize names (brands) don't matter to the overall experience of sitting down and playing a videogame. The cover of a book, if not less than that. It's like saying marketing is apart of the gaming experience, which is what brands ultimately are. It's an amazing game, but the marketing / packaging was bad, so only 4 stars out of 5! Why do I get the feeling people already think like this? lol

shandy706

A lot of that stuff seems like it belongs in a crazy/goofy game like Dead Rising. Heck, the first minute of the animations didn't even make sense for fighting zombies.

Hey...how should I kill this zombie? Maybe stabbing him the stomach would do it!

I like varied, and well flowing animations, but I can't say I enjoyed watching those videos......doesn't look at all like RE.

I've not played the game though, so I have no idea how fun it is. I have a blast with Dead Rising 1/2/3 and the crazy animations it has.

A lot of those animations in the OP are horribly jerky and badly animated too.

I like the playing with the animations of RE6 better than a game like TLOU to be honest. One weird thing about that game is how the game snaps you in placefor everything, even for basic melee attacks. It makes it so the game is actually the one in control of my distancing. It lead to a weird situation once where I was smacking a stunned clicker in the head with a brick, the first two hits landed but the 3rd hit it was somehow misaligned soJoel snapped in place but that gave the clicker enough time to counterattack on grounded. Likewise in RE6 if I execute my attack it usually does in on the spot and the only ones that need to snap in place are special finishers like Chris' hammer throw since that functions like a grab but finishers like roundhouses are done at the spot.

People can hate on many things, like how it's not really RE, how it doesn't feel like RE, how the story went out the freaking window.

One 100% truthfact thing is that the gameplay is top notch. It's pretty much what redeems the whole game tbh. Especially when you're done with the story and take on Mercenaries, that shit is like the MEAT of the game, hahaha!

Agreed. And the story went out the window in Resident Evil 4.

Seik

Banned

IDK if that was directed at my earlier comment, but just so we're clear, I loved RE6 even as a RE title. Hell, I loved pretty much all RE title because I'm a damn sucker for the series, just behind cvxfreak! :lol

Anyways, I loved it a lot more than RE5, only improvements to be found.

joe2187

Banned
you got it amigo

here's some helena even though i hate her

But Helena is one of my favorite characters from RE6...nooooo she's great!

Also what the fuck was up with Leons Campaign, he's a complete douche to the women in his campaign to the point where there's even an trophy/Achievement for finishing his campaign aptly named "The trouble with women"

Top Bottom