• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident evil 3 Opinions

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I just finished Resident evil 3 remake.

I thought it was a great game and I definitely consider it more than a remake, as a reimagining of the original.

I liked the Modeling of Jill and the characters.

Showing the Power of RE-Engine,

The sound effects are very cinematic, it's almost like watching a movie.

Nemesis without a doubt I'll stick with the original, the new one isn't bad, but it doesn't have the level of grandeur that the Original had.I definitely liked the original as Nemesis is an almost immortal enemy, who has no effect how much you shoot, he always chases you.... and I definitely prefer the Final moment, where the nuclear bomb approaches and Nemesis has this fantastic scene.

Jill´s voice of Resident evil 3 remake is fantastic

The power of RE-ENGINE is still awesome

dwxzd5jewqqvidxukgqa.png

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Some aspects like the graphics, digital acting, combat were good but overall it felt like a very shallow game as a follow up to RE2make.

Nemesis' encounters were all scripted, a big step down from Mr. X in RE2make and even the OG Nemesis.

kunonabi

Can't agree. I consider everything about the remake to be a massive downgrade including Jill's characterization. It's just a piece of shit through and through.

IAmRei

Well, at least we got new game. Im bored with the old, i lost count playing the old back then.
Not without issue and kind of shorter. And jill is fine modelled as well.

Pelao

It's not terrible, but it's the worst of the RE Engine Resident Evils.
I didn't like it either as a sequel to RE2 Remake or as a remake of RE3.
It would have perhaps been acceptable as DLC or a stand alone expansion at a reduced price, but they decided to release it at 60 bucks with a fraction of the content and features of both the previous game and the game it was remaking.
Nowadays I prefer to see it as just that, an expansion of RE2 Remake.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Just replayed it as well recently. It’s a good game buy overall I can’t shake the feeling that something went terribly wrong during development. Don’t think it was meant to be this barebones.

At the end of the day I’d say it’s on par with the original (which I also replayed recently), except for the writing. Here the original is superior. But that is a common theme when it comes to the newer RE. The writing has no soul compared to the old ones.

DavidGzz

I love it! Played it for 80 hours on both XSX and PC. It's so replayable to me. This thread makes me want to do another quick run.

ssringo

I enjoyed it for the ~26 hours it took me to get all the achievements but it was a disappointment. The areas they cut or streamlined weren't made up elsewhere. And it's unfortunate because I thought what they did do was, for the most part, really good. Nemesis was great but relegated to a few sequences so he wasn't really a proper stalker and the hospital waves with Carlos were awful. Everything else was good to great but there wasn't enough. Wasted time and money packing it with fucking RE:Verse.

I do love this shot though.

Reactions: Isa

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I liked it a lot. It did not have as much meat as RE 2 or 4 remakes. But it was pretty fun and I did not regret taking it. Now I hope that they remake RE 1 I have yet to play it.

Resident Evil 3 remake is a great introductory experience to speedrunning, and the game is much more fun when you accept and lean into that aspect(and go for unlocks), rather than trying to fight it or get mad at the game for it’s initial length.

The actual core of this game is going on runs, optimizing item pickups(and when to get them) memorizing who to shoot first, where to chuck a grenade, where to stand and where to move and fine tuning that perfect rhythm per area to complete it the fastest.

The only thing I would have changed about the game would be to add Raid mode from Resident Evil Revelations 1/2. Since the game is based around time trials, speed, and memory, Capcom should have included this mode for maximum replayability. They could have even included areas from 7 and 2, and then patch in areas from 4 remake and 8 afterwards. It would have been so easy being on the same engine. Missed opportunity I guess 🤷‍♂️

Soodanim

Gold Member
I think the easiest way to sum it up is to quote I made in the OT comparing it to 2R.

I've gone back to RE2make to see how it compares, and I had forgotten just how different it is.
Much harder, but in the traditional sense as opposed to the Ne-a spam. It's survival horror, with 3make being survival action...action horror? I did about 8 headshots on one zombie on Stndard and he was still kicking.
2 is much more faithful, more so than I remembered. Just running round the RPD made me remember what I wanted 3 to be. And while 3 is definitely fun, and I will defend that all day, it's nowhere near what OG3 was.

Mr X is actually more menacing than Nemesis. Nemesis might sprint, but there's something about Mr X's movement (and the music and sound design) that puts him on top for me. Like how he gets through a door and just starts pacing straight away, instead of having long wind down animations. In 3make, activate the first Nemesis encounter then go back through the chain link fence door. Let Nemesis follow through, then take that opportunity to run through the gap behind him. Maybe it's the lack of dodge in 2, but something is lost in 3.

Let's talk about some of the finer points. Some of this is subjective, and some of it objective.
RE2make has:
  • Unlockables directly through actions, like ∞ combat knife for 15 Mr Raccoon statues
  • Hunk and Tofu modes, with additional Tofu modes added that weren't in the original
  • About 5 costumes for each character in total (one set being a pre-order bonus or paid DLC)
  • Original soundtrack (paid DLC , but exists)
  • Free DLC with extra challenge modes to run through, with additional cosmetics to unlock within that
  • No zapping between characters, with B scenarios being pulled away from and reportedly a last minute addition
  • Removed enemy types
  • Changed final area that is largely weaker than the original
  • UI allows on the fly adjustment of item positions, a very nice user experience detail
RE3make has:
  • Unlockables of your choice via a points system, and easier/more accessible requirements
  • Completely new weapons and items to the series within that system
  • 1 extra costume set
  • No original soundtrack option
  • No new extra modes, removed Mercenaries mode
  • Extra challenge difficulties with modified enemy and item placement
  • Revamped dodge system with new Perfect Dodge ability
  • Removed entire areas, and less overlap with 2 than the originals
  • Massively changed Nemesis stages, including a recycled boss fight
  • Removed Gravedigger
  • Removed UI detail from 2
These lists aren't complete by any means, and you could probably add more points to both lists (it started as a direct comparison of replayability options and G mutated a bit), but the point is while 3 is fun, it dropped the ball on a lot of points and has more cuts and changes without adding much back to make up for it.
3R could have been so much more, but it was rushed out in a state lesser than 2R and you can very much feel the difference. I still think it's a massive shame that it didn't get the same treatment, because it could easily be one of my GOATs.

Also, it's not captured above but Nemesis was done so fucking dirty that it's bonkers anyone greenlit it. A couple encounters as normal, then he morphs into Birkin stage 4 but with puppy energy rather than grown dog energy, then that same boss fight is repeated, then he morphs into Birkin 5. In a remake where that is most (all?) of the boss encounters and the most iconic boss of the franchise, taking away what made him so good in the first place was a massive mistake.

I got my money's worth from it as a game, but it's been uninstalled because I'm done with it. I feel no need to return. 2R gets the odd revisit from time to time. I go back to the originals way more often.

I liked Resident Evil 3 (2020), but I feel it has weaknesses for sure and it would have been much better received as a DLC for Resident Evil 2 (2019). It just wasn't worth the $60 MSRP. There are far worse things you can do with $60, but it just didn't feel like it had the same level of polish and magic as RE2make. I did like the overall combat much more, but the original version had some real "aha!" moments in it, like when I figured out I could force Nemesis to despawn and once he did he wouldn't return until his next scripted appearance. I felt like a god back on the PSX when I cracked that!

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Very good game but not excellent. It's worse than the original which I can't say for RE2 or RE4.

Jill was amazing though. Best RE protag ever.

tommib

Resident Evil 3 remake is a great introductory experience to speedrunning, and the game is much more fun when you accept and lean into that aspect(and go for unlocks), rather than trying to fight it or get mad at the game for it’s initial length.

The actual core of this game is going on runs, optimizing item pickups(and when to get them) memorizing who to shoot first, where to chuck a grenade, where to stand and where to move and fine tuning that perfect rhythm per area to complete it the fastest.

The only thing I would have changed about the game would be to add Raid mode from Resident Evil Revelations 1/2. Since the game is based around time trials, speed, and memory, Capcom should have included this mode for maximum replayability. They could have even included areas from 7 and 2, and then patch in areas from 4 remake and 8 afterwards. It would have been so easy being on the same engine. Missed opportunity I guess 🤷‍♂️
You nailed it. It’s a speed run game where you revisit it to try different approaches and cut time wherever you can. I played it 4 times in a row and love how trimmed it is with no bullshit. Action packed and gorgeous.

freemandos

Neo Member
Entertaining for the most part but very disapointing. Disappointing as a remake and as a sequel of RE2R. And the worst Resident Evil game with RE Engine.

Facism

Great game missing a lot of content. Felt more like a 3rd party mission pack to the main game, kinda like old FPS expansions on PC. Has the spirit of the main game but missing some of the competencies and feel.

I really wanted them to expand Raccoon city and instead they cut 2/3rds of the original city out. Nemesis was nothing, total jobber in this. Also, going from physics simulations on zombies in RE2 to canned animations in RE3 was a jarring to me. Less dismemberment, less gore, less zombies tripping over each other or the environment. Hunters were great, though. Really well done compared to the Lickers in RE2.

Last edited:

roxya

I never played the original RE3 but I preferred RE3R to RE2R, which was mostly annoying to play. I don't know why anyone likes Mr. X in that, he is tedious rather than scary and added nothing at all to the game.

Though the defending Jill at the hospital wasn't much fun.

I think my only issue with the Remake, is that, in my opinion, it didn't keep the streak of the ones that came before it.

The Remake of 1, totally surpasses the Original (Not saying it doesn't have its value)

Of 2, arguably surpasses the Original (It does for me)

But 3 didn't. While still a GREAT game, the original RE 3 is still the definitive version of RE 3. It has better pacing, Nemesis, as you said, obviously better (The Remake should have kept humanoid Nemesis for longer. The other mutations they had just aren't anywhere near as cool or scary), has more interesting areas, PUZZLES.

Besides that though, it's again, quite great by its own merits. Not to mention the fact that it keeps the replayable nature of the original. Also the gameplay is excellent.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed re3 remake. Don't quite get the negative press it got. Sure even if someone thinks re2 remake is better, the re3 remake it still great fun to be had. A very solid game.

Also, the model capcom scanned to make Jill? Absolutely beautiful woman.

skneogaf

It definitely needed to be made by capcoms A team and not their B team or whatever the report was as it is a bit shallow but I really enjoy playing it through every few months.

It was supposed to be on the same disc as resident evil 2 remake if I remember correctly

Fret Runner

Felt like a theme park ride version of RE3.
Not a good ride either, like one of those ones that look cool but after you are just left saying "oh, was that it?"

Can't escape the feeling that it's a fumbled bag in terms of remakes. The potential was greater than RE2 in my mind cause I've always wanted a remake of RE3 more but
alas we got what we got. Not the worst thing ever by any means but a let down in terms of scope and by comparison to RE2 remake.

Valt7786

Absolute wasted effort of a "remake".
Contains nothing of what made the OG RE 3 the game that it is.
It's a fun ride the first time through, but when you realise how much was missing, how they screwed up Nemesis. Carlos going to RPD instead of Jill? No clock tower, a terrible sewer section, no park, no worm boss, no multiple choice routes and endings.
Complete disappointment in every way.
Oh and shit unlockables too. Shit weapons, shit re-do of jills OG costume. The fuck are those tiny plastic shoulder pads?

FUBARx89

Poor watered down remake of RE3, should of been £20-25 tops.

Nemesis is atrocious. Coming after Mr X and having him be purely scripted bar one tiny city segment was a terrible choice.

His mutations where shite aswell.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
just the right amount of time to finish i loved it as a little game snacky UwU

• LOL

fatmarco

I got it for about 15 bucks and it was worth every penny.

It really should have been released at a cheaper price or as a DLC for RE2, and maybe it was incredibly unambitious, but as a game it was still very good and I actually appreciated its brevity and action movie pacing.

Famipan

Haven’t played the original but I had real problems with timing evade and escaping from Nemesis. I ended up playing on Easy IIRC, and I have finished RE7 on Madhouse difficulty and most souls games. On PS5 I didn’t like the PS5-version so I played PS4-ver on PS5 and got locked 60fps and could use my DS4.

The best thing with RE3 is Ending Theme and I really like the remake version and also this excellent cover:

Last edited:
RE3R is a fucking godawful remake, absurdly bad. I don't think it's a terrible game per say, maybe a 6/10, but as a remake of the mainline Resi game with the biggest reason for a remake, they dropped the ball spectacularly.

I really like the original on many levels, it had great ideas kind of ahead of its time that felt knee-capped by the hardware restraints. They could've expanded on the whole idea greatly, using RE2R as a foundation. Instead they managed to regress noticeably from RE2R, cut a crazy amount of shit out of an already short PS1 era game, RECYCLE THE FUCKING SEWERS AGAIN and sell this 4 hour wonder for full price.

I bought it Day 1 and could not wrap my head around the fucking demo I had been playing essentially being the vast majority of the actual town in the full game. I can't even think of a bigger Day 1 disappointment than this outside of Dark Souls II or some shit.

Fuck This Game/10

Top Bottom