• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dusk Golem: Monster Hunter Wilds and Resident Evil 9 will be Open World

Luke Skywalker Reaction GIF

RE is all about tight level design. No current open world game can compete with something like RE2make. Stop.

kiphalfton

-first person open world
-rpg system leveling up system with HP and virus gauge system
-find and inject virus syringe to learn new abilities
-climb towers to unlock map area
-armor, weapon with loot level system.
-solve side quest around the world from NPC quest givers
-crafting system
-dynamic opt in coop system

etc....

Template for generic open world game.docx

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
For the love of rathalos, fix your damn engine before wilds is out, i don't wanna see another dogma2 situation again, especially for mh that is not gonna have a pc release so we are gonna be at the mercy of the console version.
Bruv
It was obviously going to be PC day one after MHW did insane gangbuster numbers on PC.

GymWolf

Bruv
It was obviously going to be PC day one after MHW did insane gangbuster numbers on PC.
Yeah i wasn't aware of the steam page, my bad, bt if you think about it, the bolded part is not really a big clue, rise had a release on switch and a later one on pc, pretty sure that gta5 sold enough on pc and rdr2 still only had a console release first, and it's probably the case for countless games.

I'm shocked that capcom is gonna say goodbye to double dippers money if anything, i know a fuckload of people who bought world and rise in both platforms.

But nevertheless, i'm happy for a pc release on the same day of the console version.

Last edited:

Area61

They should rethink about open world after the shit-storm they made DD2. Either upgrade your game engine or make it linear just like previous RE games.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I really don’t want an open world RE game.

I like my horror games focused and linear with some exploration.

Open world RE to me makes me think maybe it’ll be more open areas and not actually open world.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
That is not an indication of anything really, rise had a release on switch and a later one on pc, pretty sure that gta5 sold enough on pc and rdr2 still only had a console release first, and it's probably the case for countless games.
Rockstar is not capcom, everything is coming to pc day 1 unless it's announced as (timed) exclusive, which Rise was.

bender

What time is it?
Now that the loading between zones are gone, I already consider MonHun open world. Maybe they want to get rid of the preparation hub to designated biome which honestly sounds a little awful. I hope they don't stray too far from what makes it unique.

Fbh

I'm finally playing MHW with some friends and we are having a blast. So for the first time I'm looking forward to a new MH...but if it's 30FPS on console like DD2 I'm out.

As for RE, I think it could work if they focus on a detailed and well designed world instead of just a big one. Like have tons of locations to enter to and explore with interesting level design, sort of like Prague in Mankind Divided (maybe a bit larger).

GymWolf

Now that the loading between zones are gone, I already consider MonHun open world. Maybe they want to get rid of the preparation hub to designated biome which honestly sounds a little awful. I hope they don't stray too far from what makes it unique.
I think MH is pretty easy to adapt to open world because like you said areas are pretty open already, so they are just gonna place various villages around the map that works like the main hub in the previous games, but instead of loading into a mission, you physically walk out of the main gate without loadings (or with a small ones at worse) and run toward the destination with your mount.

They already have a somehow robust animal ecosystem in world so they just have to expand on that.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Simplicity, linearity and straight forward gameplay are strengths of RE games. These are 10h long games that are infinitely replayable.
I am not going to replay elden ring too often if ever but I am replaying re games and souls games. And i will replay Remake but I will not replay rebirth. It's too big, too bloated.
ff16 had pretty good open world since it was not an open world. No activities, no min games, no crap.
Forspoken had huge open world but at least you blazed through it very fast doing parkour and combat was good. Activities god tiresome too but by that point the game was over.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I think MH is pretty easy to adapt to open world because like you said areas are pretty open already, so they are just gonna place various villages around the map that works like the main hub in the previous games, but instead of loading into a mission, you physically walk out of the main gate without loadings (or with a small ones at worse) and run toward the destination with your mount.

Sounds awful, honestly. That design doesn't work well for portable nor would it be great for farming which are core tenants of the series.

Doomtrain

I remember reading that RE VIII would have open world elements. The early rumors were that the game would give players free rein of the village, have hunting/crafting systems, set the players loose to explore without restricting them, etc. Most of those things *sort of* came to pass, but they ended up not really being done in a typical "open world" sense. The game had hunting and crafting but they were minimal and didn't go very far beyond the crafting system RE already had. There were short periods of downtime where you could explore the village, but it was pretty minimal and they were sandwiched between larger, more traditional linear bits. So I'm not super worried that RE9 is going to crib from Ubisoft or anything.

GymWolf

Sounds awful, honestly. That design doesn't work well for portable nor would it be great for farming which are core tenants of the series.
If god exist, this is not gonna be a project for portable consoles, just for the main ones and pc (althought i think the game is made with switch 2 specs in mind but that's another story).

And if you have many points of fast travel close to the place where the monsters spawn, you are gonna really engage with traversal and finding monsters only the first time you search for them, and that's a thing that i loved in world compared to rise, it felt more like an hunt and not just follow the big arrow in the screen with the enemy immediately visible in the minimap.
It is gonna be like world but with a bit more of traversal and exploration here and there, i doubt that they are gonna make grinding parts of monster tedious.

I love the concept of open world monster hunter so i guess we disagree on this one.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Eh fuck it, why not 🤷‍♂️

They've already made linear games with over two dozen entries in the RE series, so I'd be curious to see their take on a RE-styled open-world
They also develop and release more than one RE game at a time, so they don't all need to be linear.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Thing is, who's gonna be the protagonist in RE9 since...
you know 😉

Haven't played 8's DLC so I suppose it might be Rose ?

bender

What time is it?
If god exist, this is not a project for portable consoles, just for the main ones and pc (althought i think the game is made with switch 2 specs in mind but that's another story).

And if you have many points of fast travel close to the place where the monsters spawn, you are gonna really engage with traversal and finding monsters only the first time you search for them, and that's a thing that i loved in world compared to rise, it felt like an hunt and not just follow the big arrow in the screen.

I love the concept of open world monster hunter so i guess we disagree.

Portable or not, having to fast travel to different locations for different hunting quests sounds terrible. There are ways around that of course and they could keep the same LFG search features but then I'd question why it is open world in the first place. I have a ton of faith in the MonHun team but on the surface, I hate the idea of it. We have enough traditional open world games as it is so I'm not sure what the desire is to "evolve" this formula.

GymWolf

Portable or not, having to fast travel to different locations for different hunting quests sounds terrible. There are ways around that of course and they could keep the same LFG search features but then I'd question why it is open world in the first place. I have a ton of faith in the MonHun team but on the surface, I hate the idea of it. We have enough traditional open world games as it is so I'm not sure what the desire is to "evolve" this formula.
I'm sorry, but that it's how it work in world and rise already...

You chose a monster in the hub and get teleported into his vicinance, if you explored the map and unlocked more camps you have more travel points, not sure why you think this is gonna be any different in term of wasting time in wilds.

It's not like you get teleported immediately into the monster in the other games, you still have to walk a little after the teleport.

Personally, i want an evolution of world, not an even more arcadey, compacted experience than rise.

Last edited:

Killer8

'Open world' could be a good fit for Resident Evil. I'm optimistic. The best games in the series were already fairly open in nature ie. they gave you a sizable environment (the mansion, RPD building, Raccoon City streets) and had the player explore it until they found out how to progress. Something like Resident Evil 3 Remake's city streets, but on a much bigger scale, would work pretty well. Obviously there still needs to be some route(s) to funnel the player forwards in the story, but it would basically be the existing formula but a lot broader.

bender

What time is it?
I'm sorry, but that it's how it work in world and rise already...

You chose a monster and get teleported into his vicinance, if you explored the map and unlocked more camps you have more travel points, not sure why you think this is gonna be any different in term of wasting time in wilds.

It's not like you get teleported immediately into the monster in the other games, you still have to walk a little after the teleport.

But you have one hub. If the idea is to have x number of cities that have finite number of monsters to hunt, that sounds like tedium.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
An open world survival horror game is a fucking stupid concept.

Nothing says 'terrifying' more than the ability to just run off somewhere else...
Days Gone handled it just fine and Capcom are way better game designers than Sony Bend.

Elden Ring is also open world but still retained the feeling of dread even though you could always back out.

I think the series needs another reboot. I liked RE7 and Village but its time to move on. RE4 was great but very similar to the 2005 game. I dont know if i can take another one of those games.

GymWolf

But you have one hub. If the idea is to have x number of cities that have finite number of monsters to hunt, that sounds like tedium.
What does change if you teleport from hub A or hub B if the final destination is always the same place in close proximity of the monster that you wanna hunt?

They are gonna add various villages with maybe different services of just different art styles to make the game more immersive and varied and make the world feel bigger and cohesive, but if they are not fucked in the head, the grinding of monsters (after the first encounter) is awlays gonna be a matter of:

chose monster from any hub
teleport then walk a little
fight

I really don't think they are gonna turn MH into an hardcore, realistic experience ala rdr2\dogma2 and a game like mh really doens't need any artificial padding, people already lose thousands of hours on it.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Days Gone handled it just fine and Capcom are way better game designers than Sony Bend.

Elden Ring is also open world but still retained the feeling of dread even though you could always back out.

I think the series needs another reboot. I liked RE7 and Village but it’s time to move on. RE4 was great but very similar to the 2005 game. I dont know if i can take another one of those games.

Days Gone was about as scary as The Muppets, though.

Though that could just be me.

Eric Baudour Im Weird GIF by Rooster Teeth

Simplicity, linearity and straight forward gameplay are strengths of RE games. These are 10h long games that are infinitely replayable.
I am not going to replay elden ring too often if ever but I am replaying re games and souls games. And i will replay Remake but I will not replay rebirth. It's too big, too bloated.
ff16 had pretty good open world since it was not an open world. No activities, no min games, no crap.
Forspoken had huge open world but at least you blazed through it very fast doing parkour and combat was good. Activities god tiresome too but by that point the game was over.

Now this is a take for men of culture. Maybe FF16 I won't agree on, but the general gist is right. Replayability >>> bloated maps with unfocused campaigns. "B-but I won't pay 70 bucks for a measly 10 hour game". Ok? So wait a month and shut up. Nothing drops faster than game prices.

RE2, original and new, Metroid Prime, Bloodborne, Symphony of the Night... these are horror and exploration classics you can replay every Halloween or whenever it feels right. Can't say the same for most open world games. Even for the few truly impressive modern open worlds like Elden Ring, which don't feel tiresome nor predictable... I can't ever put 90 freaking hours into all over again. And that's a shame for someone who wants to revisit good games just like favorite movies.

But I can't deny the sad reality ever since the PS360 days: Classic franchises that go open world will get their best metacritic scores and highest sales ever. Quality comparisons with prior iterations don't even seem to factor in.

I really hope RE9 is only as big as somethng like Arkham City, which felt more like an open hub.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
What does change if you teleport from hub A or hub B if the final destination is always the same place in close proximity of the monster that you wanna hunt?

-Remembering what hunt belongs to what city.
-I'd also assume town layouts are going to vary so remembering each layout for pre-hunt prep.
-Could that make vendors/shops differ their offerings in each city?
-Could it fracture how online matchmaking works?

I'm assuming the worst but it sounds like needless busy work.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Days Gone was about as scary as The Muppets, though.

Though that could just be me.

Eric Baudour Im Weird GIF by Rooster Teeth
It was not scary, but at the beginning when you are weak and on the hardest difficulty everything kills you with ease, you get a bit panicked when you encounter an horde and the cool music start to pump, so not fear but survival panic.

GymWolf

-Remembering what hunt belongs to what city.
-I'd also assume town layouts are going to vary so remembering each layout for pre-hunt prep.
-Could that make vendors/shops differ their offerings in each city?
-Could it fracture how online matchmaking works?

I'm assuming the worst but it sounds like needless busy work.
I think you are assuming the worse, and i 'm usually the pessimist one in a discussion, i have faith in the mh team, they are by far the best capcom team for my personal taste.

They would not risk to break the mhworld farmula that sold so much just to follow the open world route without a good plan.

Arachnid

Open world RE sounds giga-shit. Unfortunately, Dusk has never been wrong.

EDIT: Maybe I'm not interpreting it right, but he doesn't specifically say RE is going to be open world. Just that Dragons Dogma adapted the RE engine for open world and that other games will build off that. Maybe he just means bigger maps in RE's case. It's not like Monster Hunter is really an "open world" game either. I really hope they don't do RE4s chapter 3 section on a wider scale.

Last edited:

SHA

With limited ammo, I can hardly imagine fast travel or 20+ hours gameplay, it's capcom, it has to be unique one way or the other, comparing to other games is useless, it's re and capcom, if they couldn't push it to a new level then I don't know who could in this industry, cause many other publishers are moving backwards with their tech and I can't imagine a world without capcom.

Top Bottom