• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Remake is amazing, first time playing!

HighPoly

Banned
Wow, this game looks fantastic!

I loved the gunplay, the level design, the atmosphere and the horror is amazing!
Like, I got some jump scare and thriller moments...
Well, Resident Evil should always be like Resident Evil 4 Remake, about being a third person shooter and all these balanced horror game...

Imagine how beautiful the next Resident Evil will be!(RE9)!

CAPCOM today is among the best studios, and people are not realizing...
They're making good games, and amazing remakes, except RE3, anyway...

Last edited:
tenor.gif

I'm dying to play it... Really glad you enjoyed it!

("It's game time" is one of my favorite phrases in gaming, so I'm happy they kept it in)

RE 3 Remake would be massively improved, if this

images

Was the Nemesis you dealt with for 99% of the game.

There's nothing even remotely exciting about running-on-walls-dog Nemesis, partially-fish Nemesis or blob Nemesis.

Which is why in the Original, Blob Nemesis only shows up at the VERY end of the game.
And it was just to elevate Jill to levels of badassery that you didn't even thought was possible.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
It's funny because I really hated this remake, which is a shame because I enjoyed similair style things like the Dead Space remake.

I just put it down and never went back, and have no intention of doing so. The Gunplay for me was the issue, it's hard to describe but essentially I felt like they fucked around with it too much and it's just inferior to the originals... even if you can move now.

Last edited:

killatopak

This is a game I had learned to love.

Much of my criticism stem from the changes the game introduced that conflicted with the original game. As soon as I stopped comparing them, I appreciated the game especially once Separate Ways was released and a lot of the stuff I thought was missing was brought back.

I still have nitpicks about it and if we‘re talking about characters I much prefer the OG but it was my GOTY without a doubt.

SHA

It's funny because I really hated this remake, which is a shame because I enjoyed similair style things like the Dead Space remake.

I just put it down and never went back, and have no intention of doing so. The Gunplay for me was the issue, it's hard to describe but essentially I felt like thry fucked around with it to much and it's just inferior to the originals... even if you can move now.
Didn't like it either, looks sub high tier re game, it could've been better but they chose not to.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I need to replay it on PC, it felt way too sluggish on PS5 when I played it. Can't quite put my finger on it, it feels off compared to RE2.

HighPoly

Banned
I'm dying to play it... Really glad you enjoyed it!

("It's game time" is one of my favorite phrases in gaming, so I'm happy they kept it in)

RE 3 Remake would be massively improved, if this

images

Was the Nemesis you dealt with for 99% of the game.

There's nothing even remotely exciting about running-on-walls-dog Nemesis, partially-fish Nemesis or blob Nemesis.

Which is why in the Original, Blob Nemesis only shows up at the VERY end of the game.
And it was just to elevate Jill to levels of badassery that you didn't even thought was possible.
sure!

I'd like to see another Remake of RE3, and this is not impossible, but after a looooooooooong time, cause that's a recently remake.

Rumors are saying RE1 will get another Remake, so it's not impossible to imagine another Resident Evil 3 Remake!
If fans strangle CAPCOM developers...

zokie

same here , i loved it as i waited for RE4R Gold Edition and i was looking forward to the ballistic models and they were done pretty well.

Now to complete Kristin Kreuk 's Separate Ways

Elysium44

Banned
This is a game I had learned to love.

Much of my criticism stem from the changes the game introduced that conflicted with the original game. As soon as I stopped comparing them, I appreciated the game especially once Separate Ways was released and a lot of the stuff I thought was missing was brought back.

I still have nitpicks about it and if we‘re talking about characters I much prefer the OG but it was my GOTY without a doubt.

Same, there is a lot about it I don't like, but once I treated it as a game in its own right rather than comparing it to its predecessor, I found myself enjoying it and ended up completing it (except for the cancerous shooting gallery achievement which is literally harder than getting S+ on professional mode).

So it's not perfect, but nobody else is making games as good as this. And if the industry ends up crashing and big budget games are no more, we won't see any more like it.

Last edited:
Amazing game, this is how third person action/adventures should be made i.e. all about gameplay and a little bit of cutscenes here and there.

No walking talking sections, no squeeze through sections, no brainless climbing sections etc. just pure gameplay from start to finish
This is what annoys me about games now. They all have the same bullshit and the same mechanics. Squeeze through gap cutscene, shimmying, climbing, crafting, slow walking sections. This game was literally just action and puzzles, with some cutscenes purely for story purposes.

killatopak

Same, there is a lot about it I don't like, but once I treated it as a game in its own right rather than comparing it to its predecessor, I found myself enjoying it and ended up completing it (except for the cancerous shooting gallery achievement which is literally harder than getting S+ on professional mode).

So it's not perfect, but nobody else is making games as good as this. And if the industry ends up crashing and big budget games are no more, we won't see any more like it.
Shooting gallery was my last achievement. I unlocked both cat ears before it. It was a struggle and low priority to me because I can't even carry over the charms on an NG run while doing all achievements.

Vick

I just put it down and never went back, and have no intention of doing so. The Gunplay for me was the issue, it's hard to describe but essentially I felt like they fucked around with it too much and it's just inferior to the originals... even if you can move now.
Same.
Loved Dead Space: Remake to death for four playthroughs one after the other, but can't really stand this Remake. Maybe I'll learn to appreaciate it much later on, but I love the OG, its impact, and everything about way too much for now to digest the Remake.

Resident Evil 2 Remake is still by far my favorite.

I need to replay it on PC, it felt way too sluggish on PS5 when I played it. Can't quite put my finger on it, it feels off compared to RE2.
But then just download RE4 HD Project and blast a true immortal masterpiece that's rightfully considered the most replayable game of all time.

Amazing game, this is how third person action/adventures should be made i.e. all about gameplay and a little bit of cutscenes here and there.

No walking talking sections, no squeeze through sections, no brainless climbing sections etc. just pure gameplay from start to finish
This is what annoys me about games now. They all have the same bullshit and the same mechanics. Squeeze through gap cutscene, shimmying, climbing, crafting, slow walking sections. This game was literally just action and puzzles, with some cutscenes purely for story purposes.
This is so damn bizarre to say when in this Remake there's a three minutes straight forced walking section where absolutely nothing happens that almost entirely kills speedruns and replayability in general, way more offensive than what's generally found in the other third person games referred to.

Compared to the original there's also alot of walk and talk along with many additional cutscenes, some gameplay elements/sections of the OG literally became videos here and just in general it's a pretty linear and shallow game in terms of mechanics when it comes to the "pure gameplay".

Dead Space Remake is how you do it.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
But then just download RE4 HD Project and blast a true immortal masterpiece that's rightfully considered the most replayable game of all time.

It's a different game, one that I love, but still a different game. There's stuff about the 4 remake I really like, I just need to sit and fiddle with the controls for a while I think next time I play.

Actually, I should probably try the original 4 in VR first...

Vick

Actually, I should probably try the original 4 in VR first...
That is actually far and away the best way to experience RE4 now that you mention it.

maxresdefault.jpg

It's not even close, censorship and all.

Last edited:
I like the game, but it annoys me more than remake 2 and 3. It feels like the “cheesiness” of Leon’s comments when killing enemies is much stronger and the permanently heavy breathing president‘s daughter is also pretty irritating.

It feels all so b movie like, it’s hard to take it serious.

It’s not like 2 and 3 are storytelling pearls, but they are more subtle.

Last edited:

Vick

Lol such an overrated ass game. The remake is also overrated as hell. I really dont get the appeal to this game, but hey man, enjoy it!
I can get behind this when it comes to the Remake, but the OG?

Justin Timberlake What GIF

Man GTFO.. RE4 changed gaming like other game ever will again.

It's fucking perfect, perfect arcade gameplay, perfect pacing, perfect exploration, perfect structure, perfect encounters, perfect bosses, perfect cutscenes (infinitely superior direction than the Remake), perfect inventory, perfect menus, perfect art direction, perfect atmosphere..

Sing Icing On The Cake GIF by Travis

It was just jarring to go from old formula (especially 2002 Remake) to it when it comes to the cheese and overall tone.. but as for the rest that game is immortal. And always will be.

Last edited:

BlackTron

The game looks great (I played the demo) but I can't make myself excited to go back to it without the pointer controls from the Wii version, they spoiled me. I know this game is a notorious multi-dip title but they made it easy for me, I got it on Wii and then just stopped.

I'd be intrigued if those controls ever get patched into PC or something like that. We really need a modern console that works with a wiimote-like accessory for these types of games its appropriate. Like other gaming features like rumble, analog or 3D graphics, this feature does not need to define a system or its marketing anymore. I guess the modern equivalent requires wearing a headset.

Terenty

Compared to the original there's also alot of walk and talk along with many additional cutscenes, some gameplay elements/sections of the OG literally became videos here and just in general it's a pretty linear and shallow game in terms of mechanics when it comes to the "pure gameplay".
I'm at the castle underground level now and I haven't encounter any walking talking sections yet so maybe there's something later on, though it would be weird if they suddenly started introducing them more than halfway into the game.

How is it more shallow and linear than the original? If anything they extended the village section with side tasks and treasure hunting and boat section.

Dead Space Remake is how you do it.
Didn't play the DS remake, but if the combat mostly stayed the same, how is it better than RE4 remake? In DS you could literally play the whole game with your cutter gun and not bother with anything else. Not to mention it was much more repetitive compared to the never ending rollercoaster of different scenarios that is RE4 OG and remake.

Vick

I'm at the castle underground level now and I haven't encounter any walking talking sections yet so maybe there's something later on, though it would be weird if they suddenly started introducing them more than halfway into the game.
There's a nice surprise waiting for you so keep playing.

How is it more shallow and linear than the original? If anything they extended the village section with side tasks and treasure hunting and boat section.
I'm not saying it's shallow and linear compared to the OG but compared to the most of the games you were complaining about, while being in terms of shooting indeed inferior to even the OG.

Didn't play the DS remake, but if the combat mostly stayed the same, how is it better than RE4 remake? In DS you could literally play the whole game with your cutter gun and not bother with anything else. Not to mention it was much more repetitive compared to the never ending rollercoaster of different scenarios that is RE4 OG and remake.
Play the remake and you'll see.
The fact you could finish it with Plasma Cutter only means nothing, you could finish RE4 with knife only no problem.

Resident Evil 4 Remake is basic TPS #236 with some lite additions like stealth which is implemented way worse than similar games from a decade ago, Dead Space Remake at least can play like nothing else.

Last edited:

Terenty

I'm not saying it's shallow and linear compared to the OG but compared to the most of the games you were complaining about, while being in terms of shooting indeed inferior to even the OG.
What are these games?

Play the remake and you'll see.
The fact you could finish it with Plasma Cutter only means nothing, you could finish RE4 with knife only no problem.
No you couldn't, not on your first playthrough at least, only when you are intimately familiar with the mechanics and staff. In DS you could do it on your first playthrough since the game doesn't encourage any tactics outside of shooting limbs and using telekenesis.

Did anything change in the Remake?

Now try and imagine this feeling back in 2004 when there was nothing close to it.

Afterward, give RE2 and/or Alan Wake II a go. Both are *chef’s kiss*

stn

It is absolutely incredible, yeah. The only reason I haven't beaten it yet and replayed it a million times is because I'm taking it slow since I played the hell out of the OG. This and Elden Ring are the two games I wanna beat this year though.

My GOAT. It has everything: atmosphere, challenge, gameplay, balance, pace, variety, creativity and good art. Not to mention the amazing DLC which is almost like a new game.

Elysium44

Banned
It's the retardations they added to Leon sometimes after reloading or getting hit. It's very annoying.

The controls and the way it insists on completing animations fully before you can move, when you really desperately need to move NOW, makes the game a lot more aggravating than it needs to be. And also after playing RE4 I played RE2 and RE3 again and in some ways those games are better, they don't stop you running when you need to, and force you to click the sprint button again. Leon is like an old woman rather than an elite special agent half the time. I found myself saying 'move' when he just reluctantly stumbles and shuffles around, and then gets fucked up by a cheap grab and chainsaw combo kill again.

Anyone who thinks the controls are perfect should try S+ professional without any upgrades like chicken hat or cat's ears and see how much fun that is in the village section.

This is so damn bizarre to say when in this Remake there's a three minutes straight forced walking section where absolutely nothing happens that almost entirely kills speedruns and replayability in general, way more offensive than what's generally found in the other third person games referred to.
I'll be honest, I had forgotten about that. I think in general though, I just remember a lot of action and none of the bullshit that I mentioned which seems to plague a lot of games now.

OP, have you played the Dead Space remake? I enjoyed it more than the RE4 remake.

Both are excellent. Glad you've been enjoying RE4 remake as much as you have.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Wow, this game looks fantastic!

I loved the gunplay, the level design, the atmosphere and the horror is amazing!
Like, I got some jump scare and thriller moments...
Well, Resident Evil should always be like Resident Evil 4 Remake, about being a third person shooter and all these balanced horror game...

Imagine how beautiful the next Resident Evil will be!(RE9)!

CAPCOM today is among the best studios, and people are not realizing...
They're making good games, and amazing remakes, except RE3, anyway...
I held off for a long time because I beat it on so many other platforms. I got it as a gift and was pleasantly surprised. Great remake with some good changes.

I have it installed but still haven't played it. I want to play through it with the wife but we just haven't had the time to do it yet. I'm really looking forward to it though.

I distinctly remember when I worked at GameStop as a teen and my manager at the time imported the demo disc for the GameCube and he showed it to me and I was blown away. It was a stunning looking game at the time across all the platforms and the game lived up so much to that demo. I think it's probably the game I've bought most across the years, I bought it on GC, PS2, 360, PC, and then PC again.

Top Bottom