• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 02/16 - 02/22

Minsc

Gold Member
Opiate said:
It's irrelevant. The director of Yakuza has stated that he would support the HD consoles even with these lower install bases, and presumably even if it means making less profit (or more losses).

He does not want to work on the Wii, that has been made clear.

Makes me wonder what kind of support the next gen Wii is going to get from developers. Is simply being HD going to remove that stigma of shovelware the Wii has now?

gantz85

Banned
neojubei said:
Has Demon's Souls sold more in Japan than Ninja Blade?

[360] Ninja Blade's first week: 19. [360] Ninja Blade (From Software) - 9,700 / NEW
[PS3] Demon's Souls first week: 02. [PS3] Demon's Souls (SCE) 39,689 / NEW

One is a bomba, one isn't

Link

The Autumn Wind
Opiate said:
It's irrelevant. The director of Yakuza has stated that he would support the HD consoles even with these lower install bases, and presumably even if it means making less profit (or more losses).

I think most publishers/developers feel this way, though they won't say so due to PR reasons.

gantz85

Banned
Actually another interesting question is whether Demon's Souls can break 100K lifetime without a Best of reissue.

40K debut // 40K
22K second week // 62K
15K third week // 78K

If it continues on this path it'll definitely reach 90K units, and the last 10K will be painful to reach.

I think 100K units is still a bomba in terms of cost-profit returns for next-gen games. I REALLY want to know what Sony and From Software were thinking when they did this.

gantz85

Banned
harSon said:
Demon's Soul probably sold more units in its 3rd week then Ninja Blade has in its life time :p

What happened to all the posters who were supposedly excited about it though? I recall the reveal thread with the FMV that some posters claimed/argued were in-game. Not a whimper after the bomba.

gantz85 said:
I think 100K units is still a bomba in terms of cost-profit returns for next-gen games. I REALLY want to know what Sony and From Software were thinking when they did this.

The producer was thinking he's King's Field fan and wanted a new one. So he went to FS and had them work on a game that's similar to it. It's not like it had a massive budget or even a huge marketing campaign.

harSon

Banned
gantz85 said:
What happened to all the posters who were supposedly excited about it though? I recall the reveal thread with the FMV that some posters claimed/argued were in-game. Not a whimper after the bomba.

I'd be exited except I can't even afford the AAA titles releasing in the last few months for the PS3/360 let alone obscure imports from From Software :p

gantz85

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
The producer was thinking he's King's Field fan and wanted a new one. So he went to FS and had them work on a game that's similar to it. It's not like it had a massive budget or even a huge marketing campaign.

Let's say with the Asia version they manage to sell 130K copies. With a standard $70 price tag that would be 130 000 x 70 = US 9.1million.

Marketing and other costs factored in, I'm not sure whether that figure is good or not.

Famitsu Software Stuff

Mario & Luigi RPG 3 (3432) has a much bigger first week than either of its predecessors. However, it probably can't remain this much ahead. Since it's not a holiday release it probably won't have the huge week 2 of December release Partners in Time (212) or the big weeks 6 & 7 of November release Superstar Saga (1150).

Among my records for releases on PS2-and-later systems, PS3 Street Fighter IV has the best Street Fighter first week, narrowly beating out PS2 launch title Street Fighter EX 3. Of course, if you add in the X360 Street Fighter IV, it becomes a little less narrow. PS3 SF IV also beats out the known totals for all the Street Fighter releases since EX3.
2009-05-01

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
Among my records for releases on PS2-and-later systems, PS3 Street Fighter IV has the best Street Fighter first week, narrowly beating out PS2 launch title Street Fighter EX 3.

Street Fighter games since 1996 with higher first weeks:

PS1 Street Fighter Zero 2 - 350K (539K)
PS1 Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha - 108K (204K)
PS1 Street Fighter Alpha 3 - 271K (504K)

SAT Street Fighter Zero 2 - 181K (310K)
SAT X-Men vs. Street Fighter - 98K (194K)

Street Fighter Zero on PS1 and SAT probably did, too, but I don't trust the weekly calculated totals that far back. The SAT version did get to 291K LTD, though.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Mario & Luigi RPG 3 (3432) has a much bigger first week than either of its predecessors. However, it probably can't remain this much ahead. Since it's not a holiday release it probably won't have the huge week 2 of December release Partners in Time (212) or the big weeks 6 & 7 of November release Superstar Saga (1150).
It'll be just about on par with week 2 of PiT on week 2, so it should beat it eventually. SSS will be a hard one to pass though. It'll depend on how much of a boost Golden week gives it.

donny2112

BishopLamont said:
It'll be just about on par with week 2 of PiT on week 2, so it should beat it eventually. SSS will be a hard one to pass though.

First Week (LTD %)

GBA Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - 64K (14.5%)
NDS Mario & Luigi 2 - 133K (31.9%)
NDS Mario & Luigi RPG 3!!! - 220K

I don't think the first week for Mario & Luigi 3 will be > 50% of the LTD total, based on 1) Mario games, 2) Nintendo games, and 3) this particular series. If the first week total is 50% of the LTD, it would still be the best-selling of the three.

donny2112 said:
First Week (LTD %)

GBA Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - 64K (14.5%)
NDS Mario & Luigi 2 - 133K (31.9%)
NDS Mario & Luigi RPG 3!!! - 220K

I don't think the first week for Mario & Luigi 3 will be > 50% of the LTD total, based on 1) Mario games, 2) Nintendo games, and 3) this particular series. If the first week total is 50% of the LTD, it would still be the best-selling of the three.
Yeah I agree with you, but as JJS mentioned we gotta take into account the timing of the previous releases, but it shouldn't have a big impact on the LTD. Software sales in general aren't as great also, so that's another hurdle it's got to pass. I'm happy the series has become bigger, I've always wondered why it hasn't sold more since it's such a well polished series and has Mario and RPG rolled into one. Hopefully this gives Nintendo incentive to team up with SE again for a new Mario RPG collaboration.

mujun

gantz85 said:

it's on the 360 so people don't go out of their way to champion it?

that being said i'm 99% sure demon's souls is the better game (i'm loving it) but by the same token i'm 99% sure ninja blade is at least a solid and fun game (i might grab it when it hits 3000y or so).

farnham

Banned
Opiate said:

thats really sad

i loved monkey ball 3 and would love a sequel

also i loved fzero GX...

its good to see that he does what he wants.. but sometimes he should think about the fans (that dont want yakuza but more monkeyball and fzero) as well

Spiegel

Famitsu Top Ten

1. Yakuza 3 (PS3)
2. Shin Sangoku Musou MULTI RAID (PSP)
3. Mario & Luigi RPG3!!! (NDS)
4. One Piece Episode 2 (Wii)
5. CX arcade challenge of Arino 2 (NDS)
6. Sunday Magazine (NDS)
7. Idolmaster (PSP)
8. Wii Fit (Wii)
9. Monster Hunter Portable 2G (PSP)
10. Star Ocean IV (360)

Spiegel said:
Famitsu Top Ten

1. Yakuza 3 (PS3)
6. Sunday Magazine (NDS)
7. Idolmaster (PSP)
8. Wii Fit (Wii)
10. Star Ocean IV (360)

15-20k for Star Ocean I guess.

Kafel

Banned
Spiegel said:
Famitsu Top Ten

1. Yakuza 3 (PS3)
6. Sunday Magazine (NDS)
7. Idolmaster (PSP)
8. Wii Fit (Wii)
10. Star Ocean IV (360)

SO4 still here. Only one version of Idolmaster ?

KGKK

Banned
test_account said:
Is Yakuza 3 the only HD console game that have sold more compared to the previous games in a serie? At least when it comes to 3rd party release.

MGS4 I think

u_neek

test_account said:
Is Yakuza 3 the only HD console game that have sold more compared to the previous games in a serie? At least when it comes to 3rd party release.
Devil May Cry 4 did. Not too sure about MGS4 though..

KGKK

Banned
Johann said:
No, MGS4 sold less than MGS3 despite being the best selling PS3 game.

IIRC, DMC4 sold more than DMC3.

You sure? Could have sworn MGS4 sold more than MGS3 and less than MGS2.

duckroll

KGKK said:

Not in Japan. No way. Unlike in the US, MGS2 is did not outsell all other games in the series by leaps and bounds. In Japan, MGS1 sold the least, and MGS2 and 3 sold about the same amount (under a million). MGS4 has sold about as much as MGS1 did, maybe more by now, but it still falls short of MGS2 and 3.

RpgN

gantz85 said:
Anyone have the LTD figures for the Yakuza series in Japan?

1. Yakuza 2 572,917
2. Yakuza (The Best) 484,199
3. Yakuza 345,323
4. Yakuza Kenzan 270,438
5. Yakuza 2 (The Best) 201, 866

Yakuza games usually have long legs, we'll see how far Yakuza 3 will last. It's certainly an impressive first week number.

EDIT
Ah, beaten :(

Sage00

Once And Future Member
KGKK said:
PantherLotus' graph:

ne9gm8.png

Little bit outdated (from Konami's Q1 08 report) but it can't have changed too much since then.

But then again MGS4 hasn't had a re-release. If [MGS4:]substantial enough could push it above them.

gantz85

Banned
duckroll said:
Not in Japan. No way. Unlike in the US, MGS2 is did not outsell all other games in the series by leaps and bounds. In Japan, MGS1 sold the least, and MGS2 and 3 sold about the same amount (under a million). MGS4 has sold about as much as MGS1 did, maybe more by now, but it still falls short of MGS2 and 3.

Do your figures include the re-releases for each of MGS, MGS2 and MGS3?

MGS4 has not had its re-release, if it will ever have one.

Spiegel said:
LTD

Yakuza 345k
Yakuza *best edition* 484k
Yakuza 2 573k
Yakuza 2 *best edition* 202k
Yakuza Kenzan 270k

Whoah. "Best editions" are just priced lower right, without any additional content?

That adds up to

Yakuza 1 - 130K First Week | 829K LTD (with best edition)
Yakuza 2 - 282K First Week | 775K LTD (with best edition)
Yakuza K - 178K First Week | 270K LTD
Yakuza 3 - 357K First Week | ??

Spiegel

Sage00 said:
PantherLotus' graph:

http://i43.tinypic.com/ne9gm8.png[*/IMG]

Little bit outdated (from Konami's Q1 08 report) but it can't have changed too much since then.[/QUOTE]

Outdated and unfair. MGS 2/3 include the cheaper re-editions

farnham

Banned
Link said:
I think most publishers/developers feel this way, though they won't say so due to PR reasons.
care to explain why..?

the wii is an opportunity for lot of smaller developers and publishers that cant afford HD development..

and isnt sega one of the publishers that pushes the wii in a pretty big way these days

Sage00

Once And Future Member
RpgN said:
Yakuza games usually have long legs, we'll see how far Yakuza 3 will last. It's certainly an impressive first week number.
Yakuza 3 will probably be more front loaded due to the nature of PS3's userbase, and the fact that it's much smaller. Unless there is a bigger bump than I'm thinking.

Spiegel

schuelma said:
Impressive

Wonder what the hardware bump will be

I think Sinobi says something about 35k PS3 sold last week. But I'm not sure

特製の同梱本体だけでなく、通常の本体も牽引し、先週比225%の3.5万台を販売。

Top Bottom