• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 02/16 - 02/22

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Defuser said:
Then what's after that?I'm looking at the upcoming list after april,seems to be dead...real dead.

Yeah, there is nothing even announced for 2009 aside from the possibility of FF13.

swerve

schuelma said:
Yeah, there is nothing even announced for 2009 aside from the possibility of FF13.

Lack of announcements doesn't mean lack of software though. Big reveals are always possible (it's what GAF exists for, right? Always waiting for the next big reveal) and Sony are sure to have plenty to fill the schedule as the year goes on.

I don't think there's a good way to predict the way sales will continue this year without further information about software, but whatever happens none of the home consoles has shown anything close to good health yet in 2009.

Unless systems get up around 70k regularly, we're still far short of a healthy home market by previous standards aren't we? I'm sure that in the PS2 days 60k was the floor.. am I remembering wrong?

Laguna

Banned
swerve said:
Unless systems get up around 70k regularly, we're still far short of a healthy home market by previous standards aren't we? I'm sure that in the PS2 days 60k was the floor.. am I remembering wrong?

Yes you are.

schuelma

swerve said:
Lack of announcements doesn't mean lack of software though. Big reveals are always possible (it's what GAF exists for, right? Always waiting for the next big reveal) and Sony are sure to have plenty to fill the schedule as the year goes on.

Well yeah I'm sure announcements and games are coming..but in contrast to the other systems, we have nothing of note for the HD systems even announced for 2009. It's March..those announcements better be coming soon, you know?

Defuser

swerve said:
Even if there's some announcements were to be made, it will take a few months for it to be released and during that few months is still empty.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
ayrkain said:
Does Tekken count?

Not anymore...I think the series have been in a decline for a while. Oh and fighters on HD systems seem to be struggling for sales, Soul Calibur 4, Street Fighter 4.....

FrankT

DSi 38000
DSL 8000
Wii 12000
PS3 35000
PS2 3800
PSP 42000
X360 13000

These are correct? If so crazy times indeed.

ayrkain

neojubei said:
Not anymore...I think the series have been in a decline for a while.

I wasn't implying it would 'save' anything. Just that it's an announced title for the HD systems outside of FF13. Jeez, talk about kneejerk reactions. "Wait for..."? Really?

schuelma

Jtyettis said:
DSi 38000
DSL 8000
Wii 12000
PS3 35000
PS2 3800
PSP 42000
X360 13000

Where is that from?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I haven't been in a Japan sales thread in forever, but those Wii sales are really really bad. Could someone bring me up to speed as to why the Wii is so dominant in the west but is struggling in its home country?

markatisu

Jtyettis said:
DSi 38000
DSL 8000
Wii 12000
PS3 35000
PS2 3800
PSP 42000
X360 13000

That seems really low across the board, 38k for the DSi, 12k for the Wii (I thought we had figured its floor was 15-20k), the PSP at 42k and #1 when the biggest release of the week was on the PS3 (and no new color or bundle)

Laguna

Banned
Jtyettis said:
DSi 38000
DSL 8000
Wii 12000
PS3 35000
PS2 3800
PSP 42000
X360 13000

Amazing, ~25k down, ~5mil to go to beat Wii.

Pretty bad Wii sales.

Spiegel

PS3 has Killzone 2 in April (I don't see the game doing worse than games that make the Wii lists like Dead Rising or Fragile), some Horse Racing game?, Dynasty Warriors 5 Empires in May, more western games and... that's it

neojubei said:
Not anymore...I think the series have been in a decline for a while.

The arcade version is doing great

Sage00

Once And Future Member
markatisu said:
That seems really low across the board, 38k for the DSi, 12k for the Wii (I thought we had figured its floor was 15-20k), the PSP at 42k and #1 when the biggest release of the week was on the PS3 (and no new color or bundle)
Didn't PSP get those carnival colors this week?

markatisu

I haven't been in a Japan sales thread in forever, but those Wii sales are really really bad. Could someone bring me up to speed as to why the Wii is so dominant in the west but is struggling in its home country?

No real games that are making a sales impact (moving systems), Mario Kart Wii and Wii Fit are the only really big things on the system and third parties have not released much of note. Animal Crossing sold well but did not do much to move new users to the Wii, Wii Music was not the smash hit they had hoped for in Japan

That is a direct contrast with the US where third parties have things like Guitar Hero, Shaun White Snowboarding, Call of Duty WaW and Nintendo games like Mario Kart and Wii Fit remain sold out with shipment not equaling demand

Spiegel

markatisu said:

PSP had the Musou bundle but it's strange to see the Wii so low when Wii Fit is in the Famitsu Top Ten

Sage00 said:
Didn't PSP get those carnival colors this week?

Next week

schuelma

Jtyettis said:
Supposedly from the Famitsu blog if this story is correct on N4G. Like I said more of question than answer.

Hmm..I don't think we get Famitsu numbers unless its a 2ch leak

swerve

Archie said:

Basically, Monster Hunter G and Monster Hunter 3 should both have been finished and released 12 months earlier, and Nintendo should have released a Wii Pokemon MMORPG for the holidays. :)

General interest and gamer mindshare seemed to move very quickly from Wii to PSP with Monster Hunter, and nothing can stop the tide.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
markatisu said:
Christ how many colors does the PSP have?
This is the first few new "set" of colors for the 3000. I think the reason Sony keep releasing updated systems is so they can go through all the colors again. :lol

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Jtyettis said:
DSi 38000
DSL 8000
Wii 12000
PS3 35000
PS2 3800
PSP 42000
X360 13000

At this rate the Wii is going to drop below 10,000. Damn, I did not see that one coming.

Jaruru

markatisu said:

DSi 38000
DSL 8000
DS total = 46000 ?

schuelma

Il Comodino said:

Yah if that number is rule....wow. It was at 19K last week according to Famitsu..a huge drop.

Minsc

Gold Member
If those numbers are correct, the Wii is on track to hit unseen lows, even on the 360's standards. Could hit below 5K if nothing changes that rate of decline.

swerve

Nirolak said:
At this rate the Wii is going to drop below 10,000.

Last time Nintendo had a console selling that low, its first party release schedule involved animal crossing, pikmin, mario tennis, metroid and jungle beat.

Oh.

Scum

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one "surprised" by Wii numbers this week. I mean, this is what happens when there's nothing new for a while. It's going to be like this 'til something shows up.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Defuser said:
Then what's after that?I'm looking at the upcoming list after april,seems to be dead...real dead.
Yeah, all I can think of is KoFXII and BlazBlue. Anyone have historical numbers for KoF and GG on consoles?

Minsc

Gold Member
Scum said:
I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one "surprised" by Wii numbers this week. I mean, this is what happens when there's nothing new for a while. It's going to be like this 'til something shows up.

It dropped close to 37% in one week, and it had no significant software last week that would have raised it artificially. If it kept that up, it would be at 7.5K in the next week, and 4.7K the following week. How the mighty have fallen, and all that.

Defuser

Sage00 said:
Yeah, all I can think of is KoFXII and BlazBlue. Anyone have historical numbers for KoF and GG on consoles?
Seems to suffer like any other fighters on console.IIRC KOF 2002 Ultimate match was released recently and seem to do around 20 to 25k.

ccbfan

Scum said:

I think the biggest problem for the Wii is if they'll lose too much mindshare during this period and become forgotten by the consumers.

Basically be in the same boat as the other home consoles and do good during big releases while struggle every other week.

PSP is really the only time we've ever seen a console rebound in Japan. Usually when a console dies it stays dead. Even with the PSP though it wasn't truely dead. PSP have always had an uncanny ability to sell hardware even with no games at all. Heck even during its revival after the PSP 2000 it had months of nothing and still continued to pull in around 50K a week.

Paracelsus

Sage00 said:

I guess late ports don't count, otherwise there's The Last Remnant. The question is -when-.

swerve

ccbfan said:
I think the biggest problem for the Wii is if they'll lose too much mindshare during this period and become forgotten by the consumers.

Yeah, I've been thinking for a while that the complete lack of news about internally developed titles is preventing Wii from getting a 'vibe' of activity and health about it.

NCL is clearly prepared for these figures - hence the 1 million unit downward revision in Japan for the year ending March 31st.

So either they have 'written off' this first quarter and are holding everything back to get the momentum flowing later in the year, or they simply don't have the software to prop it up anywhere near ready.

I wonder what their Nintendo Channel usage-stats information is telling them about the 7million Wii out there.

Paracelsus said:
I guess late ports don't count, otherwise there's The Last Remnant. The question is -when-.

TLR's problem isn't so much that it'll be a late port, it's the the games quality is already known. Late ports can sell as GTA showed last gen, but they've got to be very high quality.

Top Bottom