• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 02/16 - 02/22

WinFonda

Eteric Rice said:
I mean, I'm more surprised that old franchises that haven't gone HD (Persona, Suikoden, etc), haven't made an appearence on the Wii yet.

Hope they do eventually. The Wii is in need of games now.
Yeah I know, I was speaking more to the smattering of HD JRPGs that have seemingly avoided multiplatform/day-and-date release.

goompapa

jeremy1456 said:
Maybe not destroy it, but I would be willing to bet money that the DS2 comes out on top by a huge margin.

I imagine PSP2 will continue to be the Musou/Monster Hunter handheld and those games will continue to be big successes on the system, but again, it's not going to be close.

I think you(most people here in general) are not giving credits to PSP's software sales. The last half year traditional PS2 software(the very few that has been released anyway) have started to sell. Tales, Final Fantasy, WE, Powerpro, Mosou have all posted healthy numbers and I am pretty sure that Kingdom Hearts PSP will do the same and will outsell the DS version.
3rd party publishers will take note of that and I expect them to shift support to the PSP. That will translate to PSP2 support.
And I wonder if Nintendo could pull another rabbit out of their hat in the next generation. DS2 might still come out on top, but I doubt it will be a huge margin.

WinFonda said:
It's kind of puzzling to me that the PS3 hasn't been given a chance with JRPGs and other Japanese centric games. I think it's pretty obvious this isn't a natural business decision; as these games would sell better if multiplat and day-and-date, with the PS3 carrying a healthy amount of Japanese sales. So there definitely has to be some money changing hands behind the scenes.

Microsoft has gone to great lengths to furnish their console with JRPGs, and who knows, maybe the actual popularity of JRPGs is in decline, but the Xbox 360 really hasn't made off with any great momentum because of it. Perhaps more than anything it stunted the growth of the PS3 in Japan. Maybe that was the real intended consequence? Who knows.
I think part of it has to do with, I read an interview with Kenji Inafune at GameSpot where he admitted the main reason 360 got some exclusive support early on was Capcom was trying to break into the western market more, and they happened to be very successful. I believe Square Enix and Namco especially, were hoping to get the same success by putting many games on 360 to hopefully break the western barrier of many their games (even if they sacrifice some Japanese sales). So far it hasn't seemed to work as well as what they may have wanted. Sega and Konami don't seem to be going that route like Namco and Square Enix. Personally, I think if Square Enix and Namco wanted to break into the western market, JRPGs which stick to the traditional formula in ways just isn't going to work, but brand new games that can have a much bigger western appeal (being more action, blood, and so on oriented) may work.

Personally, I think stuff should just be multi-platform so they can get sales in Japan and the west.

Jaruru

H_Prestige said:
It's too late for that to mean anything for the Wii. DQX is a 2012/13 game. Look how long DQIX took to come out for the DS. Actually, nvm, DQIX still isn't out yet :lol

the release date of DQIX / DQX look more foreseeable than FFXIII. :lol

Laguna

Banned
jeremy1456 said:
I imagine PSP2 will continue to be the Musou/Monster Hunter handheld and those games will continue to be big successes on the system, but again, it's not going to be close.

I doubt Monster Hunter will be an exclusive in the next-handheld-gen, it´s not like the next DS will have the same restrictions like N64-like hardware and we´re talking about Capcom you know. Sony must secure the exclusive rights (for handhelds) somehow if not they may lose the impact of their (yeah actually Capcoms...) recent main driving force for PSP hardware sales in Japan.

Boulayman

Eteric Rice said:
I'm more surprised that there hasn't been more Wii RPGs announced.

Well, if I were a japanese developper in the jrpg market I would be very cautious about developping on the wii after the beating Fragile and FF CC took last month

Edit: I f I ware a jap dev in the jrpg market, I'll wait for DQ X and the new monster hunter to hit before doing anything

Eteric Rice

goompapa said:
I think you(most people here in general) are not giving credits to PSP's software sales. The last half year traditional PS2 software(the very few that has been released anyway) have started to sell. Tales, Final Fantasy, WE, Powerpro, Mosou have all posted healthy numbers and I am pretty sure that Kingdom Hearts PSP will do the same and will outsell the DS version.
3rd party publishers will take note of that and I expect them to shift support to the PSP. That will translate to PSP2 support.
And I wonder if Nintendo could pull another rabbit out of their hat in the next generation. DS2 might still come out on top, but I doubt it will be a huge margin.

I think you're taking this way to far, really. The PSP's success lately can't bury the last few years of DS software sales.

I'm sorry, but that's just the truth. I'm not saying that the PSP isn't doing good, but I think you're being way over enthusiastic.

markatisu

Boulayman said:
Well, if I were a japanese developper in the jrpg market I would be very cautious about developping on the wii after the beating Fragile and FF CC took last month

Did you seriously just use FFCC the DS port as a guide as to whether the Wii can sell a RPG game?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Boulayman said:

Real great examples there

Eteric Rice

Boulayman said:

Edit: I f I ware a jap dev in the jrpg market, I'll wait for DQ X and the new monster hunter to hit before doing anything

I'm talking known brands that are known to sell.

And if you say FFCC, I'll hit you. Do you really think a DS game ported to the Wii was going to do well? :lol

Boulayman

markatisu said:
Did you seriously just use FFCC the DS port as a guide as to whether the Wii can sell a RPG game?

Well, not by istelf despite carrying the FF brand name, no but the game + Fragile yes, I am personally starting to see a trend but I doubt very much you will agree with me.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
markatisu said:
Not in the US, the Wii still sells out it just takes it days/a week instead of hours.
Apparently it's been in stock on Amazon.com all through february.

Dascu said:
The very news that it's coming should incite some publishers to get some more JRPGs on the system. DQX basically sends out a clear messages to Japanese RPG gamers: You will have to get a Wii sooner or later. Might as well buy one now, and enjoy other the other JRPGs that are coming out for the system.

I think most of the JRPGs that are flooding the DS and PSP right now will stay on those handhelds, while SE will keep the FF series on the systems with the most horsepower. I really don't see any meaningful impact in the DQX announcement, because even if some Japanese RPG publisher announces some new game for the Wii, it will take them about two years to get it on store shelves, at which point the generation is pretty much over. If SE had announced DQIX for the Wii back in 2006, then the playing field might have been much different.

markatisu

Sage00 said:

Last time I checked Amazon did not encompass the entire stock of the US market

Gamestop, Walmart, and Target employees report it selling out but Nintendo has actually gotten good about repleneshing the Wii (not so much Wii Fit or Mario Kart yet)

Like I said days/weeks instead of hours, once it gets to the point where they sit on the shelf and do not require a restock then we can say demand has been met

Well, not by istelf despite carrying the FF brand name, no but the game + Fragile yes, I am personally starting to see a trend but I doubt very much you will agree with me.

Have you even played Fragile?

goompapa

Jaruru said:
somewhat. but look at the Excitebots, I think it is the perfect example for this "idea" of Nintendo's. if they announced this game last year, it might be hard to keep ppl hype for 9 months long.

bluff or not, call me optimistic maybe, what is Ninty doing with tons and tons of $ but dev new hardwares/softwares? Ninty had never been THIS rich, I wonder what will they do next. this gen or next.

Excitebots is not a game that will hit the mainstream. It won't sell much either way. That's why they can afford to keep their mouth shut about that game(and Captain Rainbow and Wario land).

Excitebots however is an example for my take on that "idea" of Nintendo: Keep their mouth shut about games they don't give a sh1t whether they bomb or not(captain rainbow, wario land, another code) as part of their bluff.
Games that took a lot efforts and need to sell, those games they will announce about a year in advance if not more (Mario Galaxy, Zelda, Smash bros, Mario Kart, Wiisport resort)to create hype and give people to have something to look forward to.

As for what Nintendo did with their money, really, nobody knows.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Eteric Rice said:
I'm talking known brands that are known to sell.

And if you say FFCC, I'll hit you. Do you really think a DS game ported to the Wii was going to do well? :lol
Chocobo Dungeon?

Boulayman

markatisu said:
Last time I checked Amazon did not encompass the entire stock of the US market

Gamestop, Walmart, and Target employees report it selling out but Nintendo has actually gotten good about repleneshing the Wii (not so much Wii Fit or Mario Kart yet)

Like I said days/weeks instead of hours, once it gets to the point where they sit on the shelf and do not require a restock then we can say demand has been met

Have you even played Fragile?

Well, as I live in NA and have only introductory level japanese, I didn't import it, I did watch/read much of it and I am very hyped for it though unfortunately I doubt very much we will ever see it on this side of the pacific due to its sales. Although not a rpg per say it is definitely catering to the rpg crowd which I belong to. Since you are asking me, are you lucky enough to be one of the few who has played it ?

schuelma

Sage00 said:
A frequent 300k+ selling dungeon crawler..

...which I believe didn't sell much if at all better on the DS.

markatisu

Boulayman said:
Well, as I live in NA and have only introductory level japanese, I didn't import it, I did watch/read much of it and I am very hyped for it though unfortunately I doubt very much we will ever see it on this side of the pacific due to its sales. Although not a rpg per say it is definitely catering to the rpg crowd which I belong to. Since you are asking me, are you lucky enough to be one of the few who has played it ?

Yeah I have played through quite a bit of it and it plays a lot like a Silent Hill or Myst type of game then it does a RPG in the vein of "traditional" RPG (Like the FF, DQ series)

It is a very pretty game and the music is great, the story from what I gathered is kinda weird and the controls are well implemented.

Its not a hard game to import either, just do not expect to understand the whole story sans what the cut scenes and common sense can provide

But given what I have played of it there is no reason I would have expected it to light the sales charts on fire, even with full blown promotion.

goompapa

Eteric Rice said:
I think you're taking this way to far, really. The PSP's success lately can't bury the last few years of DS software sales.

I'm sorry, but that's just the truth. I'm not saying that the PSP isn't doing good, but I think you're being way over enthusiastic.

:D
I guess the only way to find out who's right is to wait.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Nirolak said:
At this rate the Wii is going to drop below 10,000. Damn, I did not see that one coming.
Some of us did. Of course, we were chastised for it.

gkryhewy

Sage00 said:

And the number 1 seller in the Video Games category pretty much continuously. I have a feeling Nintendo diverted most of their Wii stock to NA because of a) lower demand in Japan, and b) the plummeting values of the Euro and Pound.

February NPD numbers might be crazy.

goompapa

Laguna said:
What? Are you trying to say the PSP has or will sell more software this year than DS?

How the next generation handhelds battle are going to play out.

DQIX:p is going to release this year. You think I am crazy :lol .

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
CTLance said:
That isn't to say Nintendo is doomed. Heh. It's just that now Sony has a (mangled) foot in the door. Which may make things interesting. I know that if I were Nintendo I'd be a bit scared. Just a bit. But a scared/shaken Nintendo is far better than a smug and content Nintendo, so no matter who wins we'll reap some benefits. Plus, as I said, the "battle" might be fun to watch.

I agree, a complacent nintendo is a boring Nintendo.

The best DS days was when the PSP was a huge threat to Nintendo and they released many innovative and interesting franchises.

DS software is great, but I miss the days when the PSP was a viable threat. If the PSP2 was a huge threat to the Nintendo ecosystem, you bet that it will be another golden age of software to make everyone happy.

donny2112

goompapa said:
I guess the only way to find out who's right is to wait.

And then the side that isn't right can just say that things'll be different next-generation because <insert company> will have learned from their mistakes this generation.

*rinse and repeat*

:p

stilgar

Hcoregamer00 said:
I agree, a complacent nintendo is a boring Nintendo.

The best DS days was when the PSP was a huge threat to Nintendo and they released many innovative and interesting franchises.

DS software is great, but I miss the days when the PSP was a viable threat. If the PSP2 was a huge threat to the Nintendo ecosystem, you bet that it will be another golden age of software to make everyone happy.

It will become interesting indeed, but partly because "blue ocean" is becoming more red every day. And quite frankly, and given what Iwata has done until now, I wuldn't be so surprised if Wii-next marketing is all about "Hardcore gaming", etc.

schuelma

Link said:
Some of us did. Of course, we were chastised for it.

There is a difference between thinking Wii hardware sales are going to be extremely low now and thinking they will be extremely low for good.

Laguna

Banned
goompapa said:

DQX is going to release this year. You think I am crazy :lol .

Regardless if you are joking or not. It´s not like the PSP wasn´t supported from the get-go you know. Just look back what games were announced before the PSP was even released, names like Metal Gear, WE, Final Fantasy, Dynasty Warriors, Tales of and so on. Actually the DS was the system that was ignored from most 3rd parties and it took them 2 years to "get the DS". The next handheld gen will be really interesting especially because of the possible exclusivity loss for Monster Hunter.

goompapa said:

DQX is going to release this year. You think I am crazy :lol .

:lol

Laguna said:
Regardless if you are joking or not. It´s not like the PSP wasn´t supported from the get-go you know. Just look back what games were announced before the PSP was even released, names like Metal Gear, WE, Final Fantasy, Dynasty Warriors, Tales of and so on. Actually the DS was the system that was ignored from most 3rd parties and it took them 2 years to "get the DS". The next handheld gen will be really interesting especially because of the possible exclusivity loss for Monster Hunter.

Heh sure, let's start making assumptions out of our asses, DQXI will be a PSP2 launch game! MH4 will be a DS2 exclusive!

goompapa said:
while i think you may have a point about KH psp outselling the ds one in japan as it appears to be a more polished game i think the ds one outselling the psp one 10 to 1 in the rest of the world will probably be noticed by publishers far more

frankie_baby said:
while i think you may have a point about KH psp outselling the ds one in japan as it appears to be a more polished game i think the ds one outselling the psp one 10 to 1 in the rest of the world will probably be noticed by publishers far more

I highly doubt that.

goompapa

Laguna said:
Regardless if you are joking or not. It´s not like the PSP wasn´t supported from the get-go you know. Just look back what games were announced before the PSP was even released, names like Metal Gear, WE, Final Fantasy, Dynasty Warriors, Tales of and so on.

And it was a close fight, wasn't it......until Nintendo pulled a rabbit out of their hat with "Touch Generation". Could they do it again the next time ?

Actually the DS was the system that was ignored from most 3rd parties and it took them 2 years to "get the DS". The next handheld gen will be really interesting especially because of the possible exclusivity loss for Monster Hunter.

Actually, I will argue next handheld sales war won't be interesting anymore if DS get a piece of Monster Hunter. :lol

Spiegel

frankie_baby said:

AHUAHUAHUAHUA

Yeah, like when FFIII and IV outsold Crisis Core 10 to 1. Oh wait, CC outsold both games outside of Japan.

Laguna

Banned
AranhaHunter said:
:lol

Heh sure, let's start making assumptions out of our asses, DQXI will be a PSP2 launch game! MH4 will be a DS2 exclusive!

Tell me why Capcom should keep the series exclusive, like I said before we´re talking about Capcom here and the next DS won´t have the same technical restrictions the N64-esque DS has today.

Spiegel said:
AHUAHUAHUAHUA

Yeah, like FFIII and IV outsold Crisis Core 10 to 1. Oh wait, CC sold more outside of Japan.
crisis core was always goin to sell well internationally with the final fantasy 7 name on it, however while the psp may have had a revival in japan its dying in the rest of the world

Spiegel

frankie_baby said:
crisis core was always goin to sell well internationally with the final fantasy 7 name on it, however while the psp may have had a revival in japan its dying in the rest of the world

Yeah, whatever.

You know nothing about sales if you think that KH DS is going to outsell KH PSP 10 to 1 (or even 3 to 1) outside of Japan.

Laguna said:
Tell me why Capcom should keep the series exclusive, like I said before we´re talking about Capcom here and the next DS won´t have the same technical restrictions the N64-esque DS has today.

Tell me why Capcom should keep MH Remake/MH3 exclusive to Wii, like I said before we´re talking about Capcom here and PSN/XBL are more than capable of handling it and it's an easy port.

Spiegel said:
Yeah, whatever.

You know nothing about sales if you think that KH DS is going to outsell KH PSP 10 to 1 (or even 3 to 1) outside of Japan.

It's probably gonna be 25 to 1.

WinFonda said:
It's kind of puzzling to me that the PS3 hasn't been given a chance with JRPGs and other Japanese centric games. I think it's pretty obvious this isn't a natural business decision; as these games would sell better if multiplat and day-and-date, with the PS3 carrying a healthy amount of Japanese sales. So there definitely has to be some money changing hands behind the scenes.

That's really up to the decision makers at those companies. It's be interesting to see what happened if Sony put some serious money into a more traditional JRPG. They've worked with 3rd party devs with both Demon's Souls and WKC, so they could do the same with that game. Fund the development of a new game from the Valkyria Chronicles team or a game from Atlus R&D1.

markatisu

AranhaHunter said:
Tell me why Capcom should keep MH Remake/MH3 exclusive to Wii, like I said before we´re talking about Capcom here and PSN/XBL are more than capable of handling it and it's an easy port.

But then Capcom looses the ability to charge for online access, they may port a lot of things but thats throwing away money to MS and Sony they dont have to

Top Bottom