• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 02/16 - 02/22

Jokeropia

ccbfan said:
Even with the PSP though it wasn't truely dead. PSP have always had an uncanny ability to sell hardware even with no games at all. Heck even during its revival after the PSP 2000 it had months of nothing and still continued to pull in around 50K a week.
But before it's revival it was doing significantly less.
goompapa said:
I think you(most people here in general) are not giving credits to PSP's software sales.
And I strongly suspect you know absolutely nothing about DS software sales. Even now it routinely outsells PSP weekly software by 3 to 1 or more. (And this is just Japan which is PSP's strongest territory relatively speaking.)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
schuelma said:
I think we need some Tabris up in here.

Maybe we can get doicare to argue that Wii and DS software spikes coincide with Japanese school holidays!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
HK-47 said:
Maybe we can get doicare to argue that Wii and DS software spikes coincide with Japanese school holidays!

Now you're talkin!

schuelma

Eteric Rice said:
Muramasa was pushed to next year last I heard...

Not in Japan

But no, it won't do anything for Wii.

goompapa

Jokeropia said:
But before it's revival it was doing significantly less.
And I strongly suspect you know absolutely nothing about DS software sales. Even now it routinely outsells PSP weekly software by 3 to 1 or more. (And this is just Japan which is PSP's strongest territory relatively speaking.)

Ooohhh, so explain to me how you come to that suspicion.

Pachael

Eteric Rice said:
Okay, this thread is getting crazy.

Nintendo, do something so MC can go back to normal. There will be less casualties that way. :|

This is normal - lots of cross platform shooting when posters realise that the race is 'open' - the Wii's got a great lead over the other two platforms so its dominance isn't debated, only the 'momentum' factor.

I think this was inevitable given the sliding Wii sales over the past few months. :)

CTLance

I feel like I started this current meltdown. Or at least contributed. For that I am truly sorry. Please accept my sincere apologies, sales-agers.

Luckyman said:
Japan coming to senses. This is unreal.

smh.

The wii is a great system but Nintendo couldn't expect Wii Sports and Mario Galaxy to carry the system forever. yeah they may be "evergreens" but we need more plants!

goompapa

Jokeropia said:
You're speaking as if current PSP software sales are going to shift support from DS.

Yes, I expect some 3rd party publishers shifting support to the PSP(not necessarily just from the DS). If you look at the tradional strong PS2 franchises, a lot of the ones that has been released on the PSP lately have outsold the DS ones (WE, Tales, Super Robot Wars, Gundams, fantasy star, Powerpro). You think 3rd party publishers are not going to build on that ?

The very fact is that the PSP hardware is good enough for 3rd party developpers to make their franchises look representable. They can play it safe on the PSP.
As for the DS, I really can't remember from the top of my head which traditional PS2 franchise have sold really well lately. I think I am going to look up for that in a moment or you can provide me a list and prove me wrong.
That's not the say the DS is bad for 3rd party. But lately especially, they have to come up with new ideas or gameplay that involves the DS touch screen before getting the big sales like Layton for example and Taiko I guess. Some 3rd party publishers have tried with new RPG franchise, but they sold so-so at best. You think they keep trying ?

As for your comment about DS software still selling 3 to 1 to PSP software. No sh1t, there are also alot of software released for the DS than the PSP. And what's more, a lot of those sales are still made up from those evergreen titles Nintendo released long time ago. But what will those sales do for a 3rd party publisher making decisions ?

Pachael

Nagoshi must be proud with RGG3 clocking up 350k first week sales. 500k isn't a hurdle anymore, and will all said should be the best selling RGG to date.

Hey guys......

SexyFlanders.gif

Wow, Nintendo has one bad week and it's like Media Create has suddenly lost weight and all those toxic PSP/DS arguments from three years ago come rushing back into the bloodstream. :lol

Anyway, I have only one thing to say about these Wii sales, and that's: GOOD. Nintendo's had every chance in the world to avert this outcome and their failure to even make a token effort to do so pretty much means they had this coming.

Opiate

Jokeropia said:
You're speaking as if current PSP software sales are going to shift support from DS.

How could it not? A significant number of notable franchises have been selling better on the PSP than the DS recently (Phantasy Star, Tales series, among others).

I expect a notable shift from the DS to the PSP, but almost exclusively for jRPGs. And I'm not talking about abandonment of the DS, of course. Just a shift that's large enough to be visible, and only in that genre.

schuelma

Opiate said:
I expect a notable shift from the DS to the PSP, but almost exclusively for jRPGs. And I'm not talking about abandonment of the DS, of course. Just a shift that's large enough to be visible.

Huh? PSP has one RPG that sells well and suddenly things are going to shift away from the current system with by far the most and best selling RPG's?

goompapa said:
Yes, I expect some 3rd party publishers shifting support to the PSP(not necessarily just from the DS). If you look at the tradional strong PS2 franchises, a lot of the ones that has been released on the PSP lately have outsold the DS ones (WE, Tales, Super Robot Wars, Gundams, fantasy star, Powerpro). You think 3rd party publishers are not going to build on that ?

The very fact is that the PSP hardware is good enough for 3rd party developpers to make their franchises look representable. They can play it safe on the PSP.
As for the DS, I really can't remember from the top of my head which traditional PS2 franchise have sold really well lately. I think I am going to look up for that in a moment or you can provide me a list and prove me wrong.
That's not the say the DS is bad for 3rd party. But lately especially, they have to come up with new ideas or gameplay that involves the DS touch screen before getting the big sales like Layton for example. Some 3rd party publishers have tried with new RPG franchise, but they sold so-so at best. You think they keep trying ?

As for you're comment about DS software still selling 3 to 1 to PSP software. No sh1t, there are also alot of software released for the DS than the PSP. And what's more, a lot of those sales are still made up from those evergreen titles Nintendo released long time ago. But what will those sales do for a 3rd party publisher making decisions ?

dont forget though psp software (in theory) costs a lot more to make than ds software and i dont know about japan but in the uk it generally sells for less money than ds software

Opiate

schuelma said:
Huh? PSP has one RPG that sells well and suddenly things are going to shift away from the current system with by far the most and best selling RPG's?

Two, I think? Phantasy Star and Tales.

And it isn't just that those two sold well, it's that they outsold similar games in the same franchise on the DS. In fact, it's my understanding that the Tales game on the DS was deemed more "significant" than the PSP iteration.

Yes, I expect that to have an effect.

schuelma

Opiate said:
Two, I think? Phantasy Star and Tales.

And it isn't just that those two sold well, it's that they outsold similar games in the same franchise on the DS. In fact, it's my understanding that the Tales game on the DS was deemed more "significant" than the PSP iteration.

Yes, I expect that to have an effect.

Phantasy Star has more in common with Monster Hunter than Dragon Quest.

And you can't seriously expect one game to have that type of effect when the vast majority of RPG's are already on the DS- the userbase is already there.

goompapa

frankie_baby said:
dont forget though psp software (in theory) costs a lot more to make than ds software and i dont know about japan but in the uk it generally sells for less money than ds software

That(in theory, but I am not sure how much they can reuse the PS2 assets) and the fact that PSP doesn't have much of a software presence out of Japan and some European countries are the things that could hold it back.

Laguna

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:
smh.

The wii is a great system but Nintendo couldn't expect Wii Sports and Mario Galaxy to carry the system forever. yeah they may be "evergreens" but we need more plants!

That´s the problem when you actually have to push your system on your own, that´s pretty much the situation in Japan since Wiis launch. It´s not like developing those "evergreens" or "top sellers" is a matter of months or something you have any guarantees for (Wii Music). Just look at how long games like DQ9 (a DS game *lol*) are "in development" before they get released. I can´t take anyone serious who realy demands from Nintendo to release those kind of games regularily, that´s just asking for the impossible, since you know in the end it´s only one publisher. That´s like demanding from Sony to release games like GT5 on a regular basis and I´m not talking about their yearly GT5P rehashes but games with comparable sales and this every 3-5months... It´s also not like Sony released anything on PS3 this year either on the other hand they can bank on some major 3rd party releases from different publishers. What the Wii is really lacking are obviously and as everyone knows 3rd party titles to complement the release schedule.

Opiate

schuelma said:
Phantasy Star has more in common with Monster Hunter than Dragon Quest.

And you can't seriously expect one game to have that type of effect when the vast majority of RPG's are already on the DS- the userbase is already there.

To be honest, I don't see the difference between Monster Hunter and DQ in the first place, but I'm hardly an expert on the jRPG genre. To me, they are both "jRPG," and my knowledge goes no further.

I could be wrong, of course, but it seems to me like creating a split between the people who prefer, say, Team Fortress 2 and those who prefer Bioshock. I could go on a long list of reasons why these games are different (one is exclusively multiplayer, the other exclusively single player, one has no story, the other a great deal), but I'd argue in the end that they likely attract very similar audiences and there is enormous overlap between the two demographics.

Correct me if I'm wrong? I'm asking honestly. I don't play many Japanese games.

Ahahahahahah

Well, I can't think of anyone who deserved a week like this more than Nintendo. Let's face it, folks, they were just hungrier than anyone else and did their best to do their worst!

Laguna

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Ahahahahahah

Well, I can't think of anyone who deserved a week like this more than Nintendo. Let's face it, folks, they were just hungrier than anyone else and did their best to do their worst!

What was Sonys last PS3 game, have they even released a game yet this year?

Spiegel

To change the subject of the thread, if the leaked Yakuza 3 number from Media-Create (380k) is true then it will have outsold Yakuza 2's first week by more than 100k

274 vs 380k

That's pretty impressive

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Opiate said:
To be honest, I don't see the difference between Monster Hunter and DQ in the first place, but I'm hardly an expert on the jRPG genre. To me, they are both "jRPG," and my knowledge goes no further.

Do you remember Phantasy Star Online for the Dreamcast? Monster Hunter is kinda like that.

Dragon Quest is Dragon Quest.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't understand why his point is so controversial. It's likely that Tales will get a main iteration on PSP and so will Phantasy Star (instead of a port of the least popular game in the series--well, bar PS3).

And that'd be a noticeable shift in support to substantiate his point I think.

Top Bottom