• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 02/16 - 02/22

Sage00

Once And Future Member
SolidSnakex said:
TLR's problem isn't so much that it'll be a late port, it's the the games quality is already known. Late ports can sell as GTA showed last gen, but they've got to be very high quality.
An entire thread of people are going to hurt you for that comment. :p

donny2112

Jtyettis said:
Well that is what the source article is linked to;

http://dubai.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1236176688/

That's not the 2ch thread that usually gives the early Famitsu numbers, and the thread that does give the early numbers hasn't posted those numbers. Either N4G picked it up before the regular 2ch thread did, or the normal 2ch thread people have purposefully not carried it over.

That said, the numbers seem reasonable. Bigger drop for Wii than I expected, but it's not like anything was actually there to prop it up gamewise.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
TLR is a quality RPG that RPG fans have taken to. It's probably going to run like shit on PS3 if it ever comes out.

if thats true thats a terrible number for the wii, i doubt nintendo are too worried though at least they have games coming out for the rest of the year, i'm thinking a big upswing around golden week with monster hunter g and muramasa both hitting then and wii sports resort should hit soon too

FrankT

donny2112 said:
That's not the 2ch thread that usually gives the early Famitsu numbers, and the thread that does give the early numbers hasn't posted those numbers. Either N4G picked it up before the regular 2ch thread did, or the normal 2ch thread people have purposefully not carried it over.

That said, the numbers seem reasonable. Bigger drop for Wii than I expected, but it's not like anything was actually there to prop it up gamewise.

Fair enough, take the numbers with a grain of salt then.

KongRudi

Banned
It's kind of cool to see that PS3 sells the same as Wii, PS2, and 360 combined.. :D
Didn't see that coming.. Would be nice if it could last, but don't want to put money on it. :)

As for new games, Yakuza did 380k (Only MGS4 did better on PS3, in it's first week in Japan), and Dynasty Warriors Multi Raid (PSP) 200k, both seems like pretty solid week one-numbers. :)

Scum

ccbfan said:
I think the biggest problem for the Wii is if they'll lose too much mindshare during this period and become forgotten by the consumers.

Basically be in the same boat as the other home consoles and do good during big releases while struggle every other week.

PSP is really the only time we've ever seen a console rebound in Japan. Usually when a console dies it stays dead. Even with the PSP though it wasn't truely dead. PSP have always had an uncanny ability to sell hardware even with no games at all. Heck even during its revival after the PSP 2000 it had months of nothing and still continued to pull in around 50K a week.
That's very true. I suppose I'm just a tad too optimistic, but I'd very much like to see what NCL has planned. Though I think the next 3-4 weeks is going to be same as this week, if not less.

Seems like NCL is pretty much expecting crappy numbers for the next few weeks, anyway...

markatisu

frankie_baby said:
if thats true thats a terrible number for the wii, i doubt nintendo are too worried though at least they have games coming out for the rest of the year, i'm thinking a big upswing around golden week with monster hunter g and muramasa both hitting then and wii sports resort should hit soon too

EA said this morning that Motion+ will be out by the time their tennis game ships in the US on 6-18

So I would assume that puts a release date of April or May on Wii Sports Resort as it is going to launch in japan first (the US does not need it at all)

So the Wii needs to last a month or so before it gets some hyped games again

cvxfreak

duckroll said:
RE5 will not do anywhere near a million in Japan. Not on the PS3, and not on PS3+360 combined. You can't take PS1 era sales to determine the health of the series today. You have to look at how sales have been for RE games in recent years. The interest has definitely declined in Japan. It's still a popular series, but it's not anywhere near the million plus club anymore. Onimusha and Devil May Cry were also million selling titles originally, and Onimusha 2 was a million seller too. Things change.

RE4 sold 1 Million across its three console versions. :D

RE5 can't, unfortunately, without help from a third platform. Love to be wrong though.

markatisu said:
EA said this morning that Motion+ will be out by the time their tennis game ships in the US on 6-18

So I would assume that puts a release date of April or May on Wii Sports Resort as it is going to launch in japan first (the US does not need it at all)

So the Wii needs to last a month or so before it gets some hyped games again

i'm thinking more may myself, i doubt it'll be as soon as next month with still no date

markatisu

frankie_baby said:
i'm thinking more may myself, i doubt it'll be as soon as next month with still no date

Yeah I am thinking Early May for Japan (using GDC as a launcher) and Late May/Early June for US (basically debuting other Wii Motion + games at E3)

Jaruru

frankie_baby said:

Motion+ should be out by May. let's wait for GDC this month. we'll find out soon.
Nintendo's "announce the game when it's almost ready" policy is sometimes disturbing and/or interesting.

linsivvi

KongRudi said:
It's kind of cool to see that PS3 sells the same as Wii, PS2, and 360 combined.. :D
Didn't see that coming.. Would be nice if it could last, but don't want to put money on it. :)

As for new games, Yakuza did 380k (Only MGS4 did better on PS3, in it's first week in Japan), and Dynasty Warriors Multi Raid (PSP) 200k, both seems like pretty solid week one-numbers. :)

Pretty good number for Yakuza. Hope it will be localized soon!

Eteric Rice

Jaruru said:
Motion+ should be out by May. let's wait for GDC this month. we'll find out soon.
Nintendo's "announce the game when it's almost ready" policy is sometimes disturbing and/or interesting.

It annoys the shit out of me, personally.

CTLance

Heh, I've stayed away from lurking in sales-age for a while and what do I see when I return? Wii being outsold by 360 and PS3. Awesome. Wii am fad in Japan confirmed.

Srsly though, I wonder what's going on at Nintendo HQ when they see those numbers.

Next (handheld-)gen is gonna be awesome. Can't wait how it plays out.

jeremy1456

CTLance said:
Heh, I've stayed away from lurking in sales-age for a while and what do I see when I return? Wii being outsold by 360 and PS3. Awesome. Wii am fad in Japan confirmed.

Srsly though, I wonder what's going on at Nintendo HQ when they see those numbers.

Personally I think next handheld gen is going to be boring to watch as far as sales go.

Eteric Rice

CTLance said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo is already working on the Wii's DSLite equivilant.

Either way, it's not like this hasn't happened before. Hopefully some new good games later in the year can pick things up a bit.

dblog slighty altered numbers, he says its preliminary (of Media Create I take it?) so maybe that where the slight differences come from, salt and that anyway:
1. Yakuza 3 - 380k (PS3 35k)
2. Musou Multi Raid - 200k
3. Mario RPG 3 - 50k (300k)
4. Arino 2 - 45k
5. One Piece 2 - 45k
...Dragon Dance - 500

Going by Famitsu anyway, pretty good for Yakuza 3 and Musou Multi Raid, not that good for PS3 hardware (RGG3 bundle was limited to 10k as usual). Yakuza 3 full price edition beating those from Kenzan and Yakuza 1 LTDs and being above Yakuza 2 first week is certainly welcomed. I don't really see it having any legs, but given the advantage it should clear 500k and maybe come close to Yakuza 2 LTD for the full price edition.

Not that it surprises me but lack of Multi Raid comments, with 200k it beats any Gundam Musou start, it beats Shin Sengoku Musou 5 starts on PS3 and PS2, it even dares to compare well to Musou Orochi 2 on PS2 start (220k). For a totally new take on the Musou franchise its a really good start.

Spiegel

Eteric Rice said:
Either way, it's not like this hasn't happened before. Hopefully some new good games later in the year can pick things up a bit.

No, the market leader selling like a secondary console hasn't happened before.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Not that it surprises me but lack of Multi Raid comments, with 200k it beats any Gundam Musou start, it beats Shin Sengoku Musou 5 starts on PS3 and PS2, it even dares to compare well to Musou Orochi 2 on PS2 start (220k). For a totally new take on the Musou franchise its a really good start.

I was expecting a bit more than 200k after the first day numbers (152k) but that was from Famitsu.

Anyway, 200k is pretty impressive

d+pad

Eteric Rice said:
It annoys the shit out of me, personally.

+1. It annoys me even more when I see so many games that are announced just before they're released seemingly fail.

Who in the hell convinced Nintendo this was the way to go, anyway? I'd like to punch that slap that person upside the head...

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
As a Nintendo fan, I'm glad Wii's sales are this down. Hopefully this smacks some sense into Nintendo's head and stop announcing games just a few months before release.

Spiegel said:

Last time I checked the DS was still in first place (yes, I'm abiding by my theory of "handheld sales are cannibalising console sales").

Boulayman

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
dblog slighty altered numbers, he says its preliminary (of Media Create I take it?) so maybe that where the slight differences come from, salt and that anyway:
1. Yakuza 3 - 380k (PS3 35k)
2. Musou Multi Raid - 200k
3. Mario RPG 3 - 50k (300k)
4. Arino 2 - 45k
5. One Piece 2 - 45k
...Dragon Dance - 500

Going by Famitsu anyway, pretty good for Yakuza 3 and Musou Multi Raid, not that good for PS3 hardware (RGG3 bundle was limited to 10k as usual). Yakuza 3 full price edition beating those from Kenzan and Yakuza 1 LTDs and being above Yakuza 2 first week is certainly welcomed. I don't really see it having any legs, but given the advantage it should clear 500k and maybe come close to Yakuza 2 LTD for the full price edition.

Do you reckon those bundles were included in the 35 k total ? I thought in general bundles were not ?

d+pad

Eteric Rice said:
Wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo is already working on the Wii's DSLite equivilant.

I certainly hope not, since that's not what they need to be doing. Instead, they should be promoting the Wii in general, announcing first-party games for the Wii, maybe bringing out a bundle now and then or a new color.

I really don't understand their stance on the last two points in particular. I mean, they've released a ton of different DS/DSlite bundles and colors, so they're obviously not against the idea...

goompapa

jeremy1456 said:
Personally I think next handheld gen is going to be boring to watch as far as sales go.

Why, you think DS2 is going to destroy PSP ? I expect a much closer fight. Judging by software sales from the last half years or so PS2 owners are finally migrating to the PSP and by the time next generation handhelds are released I fully expect the big 3rd party publishers to be on the PSP2's side.

Eteric Rice

d+pad said:
I certainly hope not, since that's not what they need to be doing. Instead, they should be promoting the Wii in general, announcing first-party games for the Wii, maybe bringing out a bundle now and then or a new color.

I really don't understand their stance on the last two points in particular. I mean, they've released a ton of different DS/DSlite bundles and colors, so they're obviously not against the idea...

They were probably holding on until something like this happened.

Maybe we'll get an announcement within the next few weeks?

When is the next show? I mean like GDC or whatever.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
goompapa said:
Why, you think DS2 is going to destroy PSP ? I expect a much closer fight. Judging by software sales from the last half years or so PS2 owners are finally migrating to the PSP and by the time next generation handhelds are released I fully expect the big 3rd party publishers to be on the PSP2's side.

Just like with the first PSP.

Eteric Rice

goompapa said:

What?...

And why?...

I mean, the PSP has had a few successfull games in the last few months, but do you seriously think that's enough to thwart what the DS did?

I severely doubt it.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
goompapa said:

Do you have idea of software sales on the DS?

jeremy1456

goompapa said:

Maybe not destroy it, but I would be willing to bet money that the DS2 comes out on top by a huge margin.

I imagine PSP2 will continue to be the Musou/Monster Hunter handheld and those games will continue to be big successes on the system, but again, it's not going to be close.

Boulayman said:
Do you reckon those bundles were included in the 35 k total ? I thought in general bundles were not ?
Yeah, normally what we get is a sum of all different skus unless you are a Nintendo handheld, in that case they get separated my model (GBA, GBA Micro, DSL, DSi...).

They do have a breakdown though, we just don't get it weekly, but we usually do when we get yearly numbers (even by color if we're lucky).

WinFonda

SolidSnakex said:
TLR's problem isn't so much that it'll be a late port, it's the the games quality is already known. Late ports can sell as GTA showed last gen, but they've got to be very high quality.
It's kind of puzzling to me that the PS3 hasn't been given a chance with JRPGs and other Japanese centric games. I think it's pretty obvious this isn't a natural business decision; as these games would sell better if multiplat and day-and-date, with the PS3 carrying a healthy amount of Japanese sales. So there definitely has to be some money changing hands behind the scenes.

Microsoft has gone to great lengths to furnish their console with JRPGs, and who knows, maybe the actual popularity of JRPGs is in decline, but the Xbox 360 really hasn't made off with any great momentum because of it. Perhaps more than anything it stunted the growth of the PS3 in Japan. Maybe that was the real intended consequence? Who knows.

goompapa

d+pad said:
+1. It annoys me even more when I see so many games that are announced just before they're released seemingly fail.

Who in the hell convinced Nintendo this was the way to go, anyway? I'd like to punch that slap that person upside the head...

It's Nintendo's tactical bluff. Even when they've nothing major coming anytime soon, people still will believe in them (for example, look how donny still think Nintendo have a bunch of major undisclosed software coming in the near future supporting Motion+, I hope he's right and I'll be a fool).
But eventually (most) people will call their bluff.

markatisu

Spiegel said:

And it still has not happened

It's Nintendo's tactical bluff. Even when they've nothing major coming anytime soon, people still will believe in them (for example, look how donny still think Nintendo have a bunch of major undisclosed software coming in the near future supporting Motion+, I hope he's right and I'll be a fool).

This might not apply to Japan but we already had 3 games either talk or announce in the last month their intentions for Motion + (will be used in Tiger Woods and EA Tennis, will not be used in the Conduit)

High Voltage also confirmed long ago that Motion + dev kits have been sent out so to think the entire industry is still wondering how it works and ignoring to use it would be retarded

Eteric Rice

WinFonda said:
It's kind of puzzling to me that the PS3 hasn't been given a chance with JRPGs and other Japanese centric games. I think it's pretty obvious this isn't a natural business decision; as these games would sell better if multiplat and day-and-date, with the PS3 carrying a healthy amount of Japanese sales. So there definitely has to be some money changing hands behind the scenes.

Microsoft has gone to great lengths to furnish their console with JRPGs, and who knows, maybe the actual popularity of JRPGs is in decline, but the Xbox 360 really hasn't made off with any great momentum because of it. Perhaps more than anything it stunted the growth of the PS3 in Japan. Maybe that was the real intended consequence? Who knows.

I'm more surprised that there hasn't been more Wii RPGs announced.

linsivvi

Spiegel said:
I was expecting a bit more than 200k after the first day numbers (152k) but that was from Famitsu.

Anyway, 200k is pretty impressive

I don't think it will have any leg like the MH games though. The game is way broken. About a few chapters into the game you'll be able to make some invincible equipment combo which means you can beat the whole game in a matter of days. You don't even need to play co-op, ever.

markatisu

Its too bad they cant find a way to bundle this with the Wii, that might move some units

41MD9dPuHbL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Damn the PS3 took a pretty big leap. Not surprising since Yakuza 3 is such a heavy hitter in Japan now.

The 360 took a dive but not as big as I was suspecting.

The Wii is quite shocking. Wii Sports Resort can't come soon enough. Oh well look at the bright side, those are more SKU's going to North America and Europe.

WinFonda

Eteric Rice said:
I'm more surprised that there hasn't been more Wii RPGs announced.
Well in the case of PS3, there is no real hardware performance barrier. So the Wii is somewhat more explainable in that we haven't really come to expect ports of HD games.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Flying_Phoenix said:
Damn the PS3 took a pretty big leap. Not surprising since Yakuza 3 is such a heavy hitter in Japan now.

The 360 took a dive but not as big as I was suspecting.

The Wii is quite shocking. Wii Sports Resort can't come soon enough. Oh well look at the bright side, those are more SKU's going to North America and Europe.
Hasn't supply caught up to demand in those regions too now?

Dascu said:
There should be some more Wii JRPGs coming up, spurred by the DQX announcement.

It's too late for that to mean anything for the Wii. DQX is a 2012/13 game. Look how long DQIX took to come out for the DS. Actually, nvm, DQIX still isn't out yet :lol

Jaruru

goompapa said:

somewhat. but look at the Excitebots, I think it is the perfect example for this "idea" of Nintendo's. if they announced this game last year, it might be hard to keep ppl hype for 9 months long.

bluff or not, call me optimistic maybe, what is Ninty doing with tons and tons of $ but dev new hardwares/softwares? Ninty had never been THIS rich, I wonder what will they do next. this gen or next.

CTLance

cw_sasuke said:
Just like with the first PSP.
Laugh all you want, but current gen saw Sony fight for and somehow claim a part of the market. Against "Handheld monopoly king" Nintendo.
Sure, they had the Sony brand to back them up, but all the previous handheld "attackers" had some sort of clout to their name. They were a handheld nobody. Next gen will see Sony in a far better situation. They'll have learned from the PSP (I hope), they'll be able to market to the existing PSP owners, and they'll be able to quote some choice sales numbers / successful game titles from PSP to market their handheld to both publishers and prospective customers alike.

That isn't to say Nintendo is doomed. Heh. It's just that now Sony has a (mangled) foot in the door. Which may make things interesting. I know that if I were Nintendo I'd be a bit scared. Just a bit. But a scared/shaken Nintendo is far better than a smug and content Nintendo, so no matter who wins we'll reap some benefits. Plus, as I said, the "battle" might be fun to watch.

Eteric Rice

WinFonda said:
Well in the case of PS3, there is no real hardware performance barrier. So the Wii is somewhat more explainable in that we haven't really come to expect ports of HD games.

I mean, I'm more surprised that old franchises that haven't gone HD (Persona, Suikoden, etc), haven't made an appearence on the Wii yet.

Hope they do eventually. The Wii is in need of some known game brands now.

Dascu

H_Prestige said:
It's too late for that to mean anything for the Wii. DQX is a 2012/13 game. Look how long DQIX took to come out for the DS. Actually, nvm, DQIX still isn't out yet :lol
The very news that it's coming should incite some publishers to get some more JRPGs on the system. DQX basically sends out a clear messages to Japanese RPG gamers: You will have to get a Wii sooner or later. Might as well buy one now, and enjoy other the other JRPGs that are coming out for the system.

Top Bottom