• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need some help with image transparency photoshop GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Hey there Photoshop GAF.

Was wondering if any of you folks here can help me out with some image editing. Currently do not have Photoshop and have been using paint.net for the editing I do with OTs. Though have always had 1 major issue. Deleting backgrounds from images nicely as its not something that paint.net is all that good with.

For those who are quite good with working with doing image transparencies need assistance with the following images.

Z3Fu26d.jpg

If the backgrounds could be cut out and saved to png format would really help out a lot. Will be sure to add you also to the credits of the OT.

The first one would be the most difficult as the logo on the ground with how you see it fades into the white.

The other two I had tried to mess with it in paint.net but just did not come out right and most def need what Photoshop or paintshop pro can do.

Parakeetman

First attempt, any good?

I did save as a PNG. Not sure if the downloaded image is the PNG.

Hey there, thanks for taking the time out to work on this! Hmm seems to download as a JPG for some reason?

Thanks for the info, will look into that if I have time. Am also getting the PaintShop Pro demo currently to see if the demo ver will allow me to edit what I need to with it.
I rarely run into the need to cut out backgrounds like this which is why never really moved away from paint.net or looked for other resources to use.

I did save as a PNG. Not sure if the downloaded image is the PNG.
That is a JPEG, one with quite a lot of compression at that. @_@ Was that from the online tool above?
Imgur does this, its business model is memes. No one should really be uploading art to this site, especially .pngs.

To the OP as well, if those images have a proper source you should link to it rather than imgur uploads, since the jpeg compression imgur adds actually makes it harder to create alphas.

Parakeetman

Imgur does this, its business model is memes. No one should really be uploading art to this site, especially .pngs.

To the OP as well, if those images have a proper source you should link to it rather than imgur uploads, since the jpeg compression imgur adds actually makes it harder to create alphas.

Hmm I need to try and find someplace where I can up the files to then. Give me a sec.

Lets see if this works

http://www.filedropper.com/46358022p0
http://www.filedropper.com/dqheroes
http://www.filedropper.com/seriesheroes

PaulloDEC

Had a really quick shot at the second one (magic wand):

And here's a version with a white outer glow to try and hide the rough edges:

I'm sure there's other Gaffers who could do better, but ultimately the best results are going to require a lot of tedious hand-masking.

Parakeetman

PNG version on photobucket instead.

Thanks for taking time out to do up an image, do appreciate it! But need something that is more clean around the edges. Takes far too much time to try and clean the edges manually.

I can basically do the same type of effect that leaves little bits of white everywhere using paint.net unfortunately. It does not have that good of an AA feature or plugin.

Need something clean cut and wont be able to do that with the current software I have.

Parakeetman

Had a really quick shot at the second one (magic wand):

And here's a version with a white outer glow to try and hide the rough edges:

I'm sure there's other Gaffers who could do better, but ultimately the best results are going to require a lot of tedious hand-masking.

Thanks for that! Yeah I usually do the white outer glow thing and reduce it a bit smaller to hide the jaggies since the AA plugins for paint.net are bad lol
Just checked the file in paint.net and seems like its pretty nicely cut. The other small bits should be able to edit out without taking too much time too.

Over here too am trying to mess with stuff currently, but not as familiar with PSP so will take a tiny bit of time to get used to all these tools and such.

---

Do appreciate the time everyone has taken out of their busy schedules to add to the conversation and help out! Thank you fellow GAF members. :)

Parakeetman

Looks like Ill be purchasing a copy of Corel PaintShop Pro. Seems to be a lot cheaper than that weird subscription Adobe & PhotoShop went with.

Parakeetman

Thanks for taking out the time to contribute to the thread! Do appreciate it!

Do they not offer a 30 day trial anymore?

Anywho, i'm working on it atm - couldn't sleep anyway.

Thanks do appreciate it!

Yeah they still have the free trial am messing with it, interface is fairly easy to use and by far the tools are a lot better than paint.net. It was about time to move onto a more advanced software anyways

I have been beaten, twice :p. I'll post anyway, forgive the harsh aliasing around some parts, your source image would need to be vectorized to get super smooth lines OP but that takes a while - hope this is good enough.

I'll leave the others to ItIsOkBro.

Parakeetman

I have been beaten, twice :p. I'll post anyway, forgive the harsh aliasing around some parts, your source image would need to be vectorized to get super smooth lines OP but that takes a while - hope this is good enough.

Thank you for contributing do appreciate it!

Will be seeing how the various images look on the dark GAF background. Since we know pretty much it should be not noticeable on the light.

Parakeetman

That's funny, because I just noticed how terrible it looks against NeoGAF Dark. Let me fix that.

Edit:

Thanks! Looks great too!

h4fjBzY.png

Why on earth did we all decide on the same pic *slams head into desk*

Oh wow thats great plus by some miracle managed to keep the faded section of the logo too. Its actually better that this one got done first since need the item for this week. Ill add all you guys into the credits regardless of which version I use :)

Was messing with a different image testing out Paint Shop Pro, with the general tools managed to get this done pretty quick, though need to learn about all the other advanced techniques and whatnots with trying to touch things up that will most def take a while. As you can see in the image below white outline everywhere just from using the background erasing tool. Am reading up on it currently

Huh... I always though Paint.net had a GREAT wand tool.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not due to the caps, but when you put it into comparison with what the other more advanced programs do really is night and day. Though paint.net is fantastic for just freeware regular editing since literally all of my OTs up until now have been doing using just paint.net

legacyzero

Banned
Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not due to the caps, but when you put it into comparison with what the other more advanced programs do really is night and day. Though paint.net is fantastic for just freeware regular editing since literally all of my OTs up until now have been doing using just paint.net

Nope. Being serious. I've been going to that program for a while to use the wand. You can adjust the strength to what you want, and customize it.

But yeah, it's not as good as a paid program.

Parakeetman

It's not perfect but hope this helps

cutout3rqjf2.png

Due to the complexity of the outline, there's bound to be an error somewhere, do let me know if you find some.

Fantastic! Thanks a lot guys really appreciate it! :) As mentioned before will include all that helped in the OT credits!

By the way Dinjooh, is there a specific technique + program that you use to get it so clean like that? Would like to study up on it. :)

Dinjooh

Fantastic! Thanks a lot guys really appreciate it! :) As mentioned before will include all that helped in the OT credits!

By the way Dinjooh, is there a specific technique + program that you use to get it so clean like that? Would like to study up on it. :)

Photoshop - And I don't use any one technique. The first one was done by hand entirely. (Pen tool around everything) I then seperated the two and redid the logo in illustrator - took it back to photoshop and applied a gradient to it.

The second one was more of a hack-job. Quick select tool and then brushing away large errors with a mask.

Parakeetman

Photoshop - And I don't use any one technique. The first one was done by hand entirely. (Pen tool around everything) I then seperated the two and redid the logo in illustrator - took it back to photoshop and applied a gradient to it.

The second one was more of a hack-job. Quick select tool and then brushing away large errors with a mask.

Also "hack-job"? hardly, since that looks real good from the standpoint of exactly what I needed. Can most def appreciate the time put in with cleaning it up too.

Thanks for the info Dinjooh, hmm yeah most def in the future will look into photoshop as will have to become more proficient with it anyways.

Ill look up info bout what you are talking about here. Do appreciate you taking out the time to write the reply, thank you for that. :)

In the past I made a thread about tablets and will be looking into obtaining one in the future as most def will make things a lot easier than just working with a mouse that can be a bit of a pain at times.

*Messing with the test image showed earlier, yeah can see this most def taking time, but at least using these programs helps give a lot cleaner of an image to initially work with.

FillerB

The base installation of Paint.net is rather as when it comes to transparency. However there are a ton of plugins on their forum, such as boltbaits pack, that makes things easier.

Parakeetman

The base installation of Paint.net is rather as when it comes to transparency. However there are a ton of plugins on their forum, such as boltbaits pack, that makes things easier.

Actually I have all of those. As mentioned pretty much got whatever would have been useful, though still for a lot of more complex stuff it just isnt enough and with what Ive seen in my brief period with Paint Shop Pro and messed with the demo of Photoshop its really hard to compare and about time I move onto proper software if I do not want to have to trouble others such as I have did here. :) Asides for gaining more knowledge of the most commonly used commercial graphical editing software.

Hmm how do you say? For a while was feeling that I was reaching pretty much the limits of the software and that with time being more of an issue these days needed something more powerful to allow for the cutting down of work time. Which is why I went towards the other software. Still will be using paint.net for smaller things, but more serious work most def will be learning to further use the PSP and PS

Dinjooh

Also "hack-job"? hardly, since that looks real good from the standpoint of exactly what I needed. Can most def appreciate the time put in with cleaning it up too.

Thanks for the info Dinjooh, hmm yeah most def in the future will look into photoshop as will have to become more proficient with it anyways.

Ill look up info bout what you are talking about here. Do appreciate you taking out the time to write the reply, thank you for that. :)

In the past I made a thread about tablets and will be looking into obtaining one in the future as most def will make things a lot easier than just working with a mouse that can be a bit of a pain at times.

*Messing with the test image showed earlier, yeah can see this most def taking time, but at least using these programs helps give a lot cleaner of an image to initially work with.

Hack-job in the sense that I feel 'bad' about doing it. Throw me a PM anytime if you need any assistance.

Parakeetman

Hack-job in the sense that I feel 'bad' about doing it. Throw me a PM anytime if you need any assistance.

Thanks Dinjooh really appreciate the help and explaining things to me. :)

Same big thank you to all those other fellow GAF members who have taken the time to stop by and contribute to the thread!

Next week Ill most likely work more with paint shop pro to try and delete the extra white from the version that oneran was kind enough to provide of the other dragon quest picture. :)

In the mean time look into if there are still retail versions of the older photoshop / illustrator available. Might be a bit harder out here in Japan as from what Ive seen so far its just mostly JP versions available.

Parakeetman

h4fjBzY.png

Why on earth did we all decide on the same pic *slams head into desk*

Btw nothing too fancy but from the following below one of these will be the OT title image, since Bandai Namco literally had nothing useful or nice looking to use.

The artwork is not even original artwork either, it was done by a user on pixiv named まつり
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=46358022

*scrapping this one.

*Might go with this after I shrink the image down a bit more.

Other test types.

Kinda like this one. Though need to clean up that line on the left side. :/
*Should be fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom