• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 | Impressions Thread of not shooting the messenger.

MattyG

Banned
I keep looking on Best Buy and Target and Walmart's sites to see if I can see if there are any copies in the stores... when I know damn well they aren't gonna show that. Not sure if want to drive all over to try to find it or not.

nib95

Banned
I must say I enjoy the look of the props in this game: the guns, the knives, the clothes, the gadgets, and the materials used: brushed copper, metal, cloth and wood. It feels very ... authentic.

Absolutely. And they really make a point of it.

SpottedSphericalBustard.gif

WeeklyInconsequentialGalapagoshawk.gif

Order10.gif

Ricky_R

Actually, no, subs are in the same language as the dub and can't be changed, I'm afraid. I took a quick look to the settings yesterday and I don't remember the option, I'll look better this evening just to be sure but I recall RAD said something about this :|

Damn, sorry about that Azdoune. I thought you could select subtitles at any language available. Now that I think about it, I don't know if there are many games that do.

Anko

Game just released in Singapore officially today. Feb 20th is a public holiday (Chinese new year) so they pushed the release date up to the the 17th. Just got my hands on it.

ron_bato

Quick impressions as I start chapter 4:

Hard mode can get hard, the ai is more accurate and the ai can get really aggressive. You can't just stick around 1 spot as there will be enemies that try to rush you from both sides. Then they'll try to throw grenades. And you got guys at range trying to pick you off.
There's this one part in chapter 3 where I admit that I died a lot because I was being too cavalier and impatient and sticking in one spot too much. Not a good idea when you got flankers on both sides lol.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the melee, on one hand I like how it's context sensitive and changes depending on the situation and environment, but it takes you out of control too much.

The black bars have not been a problem for me but the camera sometimes gets in the way too much. And there are some jank in an otherwise very well animated game.

When you get in a dire situation and you make blacksight work well for you, it feels so good.

I must stress that gun play feels really good and impactful, and it handles a bit like the last of us in terms of control and recoil.

Kagutaba

Absolutely. And they really make a point of it.

SpottedSphericalBustard.gif

WeeklyInconsequentialGalapagoshawk.gif

Order10.gif

Very pretty, it really cements the time period and the atmosphere.

This is a mechanic I can get behind. I always spend a long time trying to angle the camera in Dark Souls to get a good look at the design of each new sword and stuff.

MattyG

Banned
Game just released in Singapore officially today. Feb 20th is a public holiday (Chinese new year) so they pushed the release date up to the the 17th. Just got my hands on it.
Goddammit. Why can't Maine celebrate Chinese New Year?

Ricky_R

Quick impressions as I start chapter 4:

Hard mode can get hard, the ai is more accurate and the ai can get really aggressive. You can't just stick around 1 spot as there will be enemies that try to rush you from both sides. Then they'll try to throw grenades. And you got guys at range trying to pick you off.
There's this one part in chapter 3 where I admit that I died a lot because I was being too cavalier and impatient and sticking in one spot too much. Not a good idea when you got flankers on both sides lol.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the melee, on one hand I like how it's context sensitive and changes depending on the situation and environment, but it takes you out of control too much.

The black bars have not been a problem for me but the camera sometimes gets in the way too much. And there are some jank in an otherwise very well animated game.

When you get in a dire situation and you make blacksight work well for you, it feels so good.

I must stress that gun play feels really good and impactful, and it handles a bit like the last of us in terms of control and recoil.

Thanks, appreciate the small updates. I also expressed disappointment towards the melee being a sequence trigger, although it is nice that they at least made it context sensitive. Hopefully the sequel offers a more traditional one, even if it's flashy.

hydruxo

I keep looking on Best Buy and Target and Walmart's sites to see if I can see if there are any copies in the stores... when I know damn well they aren't gonna show that. Not sure if want to drive all over to try to find it or not.

I found a stack of copies on top of some PS4s at Walmart on Sunday, and got an older employee to get one out of the case for me. He was going to let me get it but when he rang it up it said do not sell until 02/20/15, he double checked it but he wasn't willing to override it. Most likely would be like that at any big retail store. If you can manage to convince an employee or manager to override it then you might be able to get one but your best shot is probably a Mom & Pop type store that doesn't have everything in the computer.

Man something about this game, it's like there's something missing for me.

I suspect most reviews will reflect that. Cinematic games are not in vogue as of now. It's all about open world or large areas. Even the masters of cinematic games, Naughty Dog, are seeing this and acting accordingly with Uncharted 4.

I think Uncharted 4 will give us the perfect balance of openness and cinematic experience, that other developers will try to emulate in the future.

As for The Order: 1886, I don't think I cna say if I will like it or not until I play it. The cutscene to gameplay ratio is a bit worrying, but I could end up loving every minute of it.

nib95

Banned
Very pretty, this is a mechanic I can get behind, I always spend a long time trying to angle the camera in Dark Souls to get a good look at the design of each new sword and stuff.

Like wise. In games I often position my character in awkward camera spots to glitch it out and get the camera closer in than normal, just so I can examine the character model, weapons etc. Kind of interesting RAD sort of gave us the ability to do this in a more cinematic way. It's an introduction of new weapons allowing for more close up inspection and fanfare than normal.

MattyG

Banned
I found a stack of copies on top of some PS4s at Walmart on Sunday, and got an older employee to get one of out of the case for me. He was going to let me get it but when he rang it up it said do not sell until 02/20/15, he double checked it but he wasn't willing to override it. Most likely would be like that at any big retail store. If you can manage to convince an employee or manager to override it then you might be able to get one but your best shot is probably a Mom & Pop type store that doesn't have everything in the computer.
Yeah, that's what I figured. I've never been able to convince anyone to override it, and I don't know of any Mom and Pop shops around here.

And so the wait for Friday begins...

MattyG

Banned
Apparently South Korean retailers are selling it early too due to a holiday. So much for WW release. Lucky Chinese New Year celebrating countries.

Ah, now it all makes sense. Just launched today where I live as well (the Philippines) and I was wondering why they moved the release date up... Chinese New Year is a public holiday over here as well.

I'm enjoying myself so far, cracked it open and played through to chapter 2 before turning in for the night. A little slow paced to begin with, but i'm finding the cover based shooting very enjoyable so far. Very atmospheric, this game has the steampunk vibe down pat.

sobaka770

Banned
There are Galahad skins available for those who pre-ordered. Is there a DLC shop built-in the game or maybe the Armory will be it?

This may have been answered. But to anyone that has played through or watched a play through of The Order (and without spoiling anything). Are there many environments / locations in the game that haven't been revealed in trailers for the game?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Man something about this game, it's like there's something missing for me. Yknow, something almost intangible. Might just be a lack of story hook in its promotions, I haven't seen much other than the general steampunk and men vs. monsters and those who side with them stuff. Though this could just be a case of poor marketing,it wouldn't have been the last time.

I dunno, there's just somethign that makes me not able to sink my teeth into it... Maybe it's just not my flavour
I felt the same way, characters also seem unlikeable to me, but I hope it's just the case of poor trailer editing. Pixar's movies suffer from this massively for example. Trailers for their movies make them all seem shallow and lukewarm, characters one dimensional, but when you watch the movie, there's depth and sentiment there that could have never been inferred from the trailer. I hope that's the case here as well.

Target will carry it. We're doing a promotion that if you buy the game you get a 20 dollars psn card for 5 dollars.

Edit : beaten

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I felt the same way, characters also seem unlikeable to me, but I hope it's just the case of poor trailer editing. Pixar's movies suffer from this massively for example. Trailers for their movies make them all seem shallow and lukewarm, characters one dimensional, but when you watch the movie, there's depth and sentiment there that could have never been inferred from the trailer. I hope that's the case here as well.

I've only heard good things about the characters.

HMD

I'm mostly curious about replay value. I hope this game has a bevy of unlocks, modifiers, or new experiences that will encourage replay.

Just finished the game, if not for trophies I wouldn't play it again because I feel like I've experienced everything there is to experience in this game. Loved everything about the game, didn't really like the way it ended though.

I like the fact that they are doing full motion capture. In games from Naughty Dog, they capture movement, but not faces. In MGS V (and LA: Noire), they capture faces, but not movement. This does both methods together. I think that's cool.

MattyG

Banned
Target will carry it. We're doing a promotion that if you buy the game you get a 20 dollars psn card for 5 dollars.

Edit : beaten
Ah, I meant stores that accidentally put copies out early, not stores that are just going to be carrying it period. But that's a great deal, I'll probably be getting it at Target now!

I heard there's a dong in the game. Is that true. Is there a dong.

Ah, I meant stores that accidentally put copies out early, not stores that are just going to be carrying it period. But that's a great deal, I'll probably be getting it at Target now!

yes you see a glimpse of dong.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.

Dong spoiler:
I think there's three. And a bit o'titty.

Ricky_R

Just finished the game, if not for trophies I wouldn't play it again because I feel like I've experienced everything there is to experience in this game. Loved everything about the game, didn't really like the way it ended though.

Hey, thanks for the feedback. What was your take on the general plot and the parts all characters played on it. If you can't answer that without spoilers then it's cool.

I do it honor my wife. I have no problem with that.

Do you close your eyes if a movie you're watching surprises you with nudity? Honest question.

Here's a few screens I took; nothing spoilery. Trust me, I have plenty more lol, but I don't want to give anything away. Photo mode is gonna be narcotic for me.
The%20Order_%201886_20150215184745_zpsmnombpcc.jpg

The%20Order_%201886_20150215185938_zpszv2pgnuo.jpg

The%20Order_%201886_20150215201427_zpsxcpy2hfq.jpg

Really excited for the game. I enjoy shorter, more focused game experiences, and the graphics look stupendous. If I manage to beat it in the first week, I'll just put it up for sale on Amazon or try to pawn it off at Best Buy.

How long does Best Buy usually take to ship games? I'll go pick it up in the store if it takes more than a day or so.

Top Bottom