• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible game announcement from Harmonix at PAX East (Rock Band?)

So, the Pinny Arcade list of pins hit just a bit ago, and Harmonix has one, that is mysteriously greyed out...

i-CqS2nwG.jpg

Not only that, but HMX retweeted about it, just adding a solid "Hmmm..."

https://twitter.com/Harmonix/status/568201706514706433

So, is the inevitable Rock Band announcement incoming, or could it be something totally out of nowhere, or will it be nothing?

McDougles

The second of 2 Rock Band DLC sets of 2015 dropped this week. That could mean only one thing:

Rock Band On The Go: A F2P mobile game with both song DLC and timeouts!

border

Unrevealed pin = Rock Band 4 ??

That seems like a pretty huge leap to make. I don't know how a company that is running as lean as Harmonix is going to get into the plastic instrument business again. Or how they are going to convince retailers to give them shelf space.

RE_Player

Would they really announce at PAX? Rock Band seems like a big E3 announcement. Than again if they do announce at PAX they pretty much have the biggest story of the week.

Unrevealed pin = Rock Band 4 ??

That seems like a pretty huge leap to make. I don't know how a company that is running as lean as Harmonix is going to get into the plastic instrument business again. Or how they are going to convince retailers to give them shelf space.

Its not just the pin. Its the return of DLC, company interest, hint drops from them, a place they have been known to show new games. Plenty of evidence it could be Rock Band or any other new game announcement.

Would they really announce at PAX? Rock Band seems like a big E3 announcement. Than again if they do announce at PAX they pretty much have the biggest story of the week.

PAX lets them announce it as Harmonix. E3 for big attention they'd have to piggy back off of MS/Sony.

And what about their musical FPS, Chroma?

Not sure how much I can talk about my experiences in the alpha, but it's most likely canceled based on the language they used in their emails.

Also, from their latest newsletter, regarding yesterday's DLC release:

These songs join new DLC releases from Arctic Monkeys, Avenged Sevenfold, and Foo Fighters, all of which were added to the Rock Band library this year. That’s 2 new DLC releases for Rock Band this year… what’s going on, 2015?!

I'm trying not to get overhyped but it's just not working

I Denko I

Neo Member
Hey guys, fellow game developer from boston area, they were actually in Boston FIG demoing a new game. Maybe it's the same one?

Would be cool to see a Rock Band though, will be there at Pax East hosting a booth.

Lexxon

I'd be...hestitant but open to a Rock Band comeback. But my basement full of X360 compatible instruments would make me NOT want to buy all new shit for PS4 :\

Remark

Banned
I'd be...hestitant but open to a Rock Band comeback. But my basement full of X360 compatible instruments would make me NOT want to buy all new shit for PS4 :\
You know if this got announced and everything you would buy the new instruments so quick :p

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Honestly think it could blow up again seeing as people got a good break from it and it's a new generation. The best time is now tbh.

I just remember seeing tons of those boxes gathering dust at every game retailer ... But Maybe....

_woLf

I really, really hope they find some way to let people port their Xbox DLC collections to PS4 and vice versa...although I highly doubt that'll ever happen.

I want to play Rock Band 4 on PS4, not Xbox One. :(

I really just don't know if this is a good idea, because the instrument rhythm games disappeared for a reason. Over-saturation, and the casual audience that ate it up for a while, got bored with it. Even if there are a few enthusiastic people on here, and heck, I might enjoy it a little myself again...I just don't see the big appeal it had coming back.

I remember so many assholes at time would say crap like "you should just learn how to play a real instrument!" when these games were big.

I really, really hope they find some way to let people port their Xbox DLC collections to PS4 and vice versa...although I highly doubt that'll ever happen.

I want to play Rock Band 4 on PS4, not Xbox One. :(

If DLC was portable from 360 to Bone, but not PS4, it would be the one thing this generation that would convince me to get one.

Lexxon

You know if this got announced and everything you would buy the new instruments so quick :p

Probably D:

The one thing that'd hold me back is that by the time I stopped, the funny way I held the guitar over the years started to really bug my hand. I'd get sore after only a couple songs. Not sure if it's OK now or not.

Love for them to work with Rocksmith, atleast would avoid all the patent nonsense between guitar companies/activision/themselves/konami

border

I think the only way they can overcome the DLC problem is by partnering up with some kind of subscription service like Spotify. $5/month gets you this library of songs, to play as much as you want.

The A La Carte DLC model is not going to work.....particularly if they expect people to swallow the very real possibility that their Rock Band 1-3 libraries are going to have to be abandoned.

I will be stoked if it is Rock Band. I will buy the most expensive version possible, which I won't usually do for game series other than Metal Gear.

I think the only way they can overcome the DLC problem is by partnering up with some kind of subscription service like Spotify. $5/month gets you this library of songs, to play as much as you want.

The A La Carte DLC model is not going to work.....particularly if they expect people to swallow the very real possibility that their Rock Band 1-3 libraries are going to have to be abandoned.

I don't want a subscription model. I would rather pay for what I want to play, given that I'm not interested in a large percentage of what gets charted for DLC.

also, I think they've got something up their sleeve regarding the existing DLC libraries... The fact that they even asked about it in the survey must mean it's somehow possible. Please let it be possible.

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
You are all adorable.

If you're at PAX, come say hi and check out Harmonix Music VR and a new build of Amplitude with some awesome new stuff in it. Also, the pin is pretty cool!

They've been teasing the fuck out of it so much that I'll be annoyed if it isn't some incarnation of Rock Band.

The real surprise will be in how they handle its return. Things like instrument compatibility, DLC carrying over, etc. Will determine its favorability with old hardcore players.
depending on how the market reacts to a new Rock Band, that could mean everything or absolutely squat

FyreWulff

Rock Band 4 would the only reason I have to get a One (as long as a considerable amount of the DLC carries over - I'm already ready to deal with the fact we won't be able to carry everything over)

Top Bottom