• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible game announcement from Harmonix at PAX East (Rock Band?)

border

I don't want a subscription model. I would rather pay for what I want to play, given that I'm not interested in a large percentage of what gets charted for DLC.

also, I think they've got something up their sleeve regarding the existing DLC libraries... The fact that they even asked about it in the survey must mean it's somehow possible. Please let it be possible.

Assuming that they have no way to support cross-platform DLC issues (can't give PS4 songs to former owners of 360 version), would you rather re-purchase your library of songs or pay for a subscription?

Rock Band 4 would the only reason I have to get a One (as long as a considerable amount of the DLC carries over - I'm already ready to deal with the fact we won't be able to carry everything over)

Same here. I would 100% buy a Rock Band XB1 bundle just to get my DLC to carry over.

Chrozi

Neo Member
Would they really announce at PAX? Rock Band seems like a big E3 announcement. Than again if they do announce at PAX they pretty much have the biggest story of the week.

Harmonix is in Cambridge, MA. A nice big local event to announce something.

I Denko I

Neo Member
You are all adorable.

If you're at PAX, come say hi and check out Harmonix Music VR and a new build of Amplitude with some awesome new stuff in it. Also, the pin is pretty cool!

Are you going to be there? Is Amplitude the game you were demoing at FiG? I passed by the booth to check out the game it looked pretty cool but I had to go back to my booth quickly. The game looked pretty good.

CloudWolf

I think the only way they can overcome the DLC problem is by partnering up with some kind of subscription service like Spotify. $5/month gets you this library of songs, to play as much as you want.

The A La Carte DLC model is not going to work.....particularly if they expect people to swallow the very real possibility that their Rock Band 1-3 libraries are going to have to be abandoned.
I think that most people that call for a subscription based service have no idea how much work goes into the DLC for music games like Rock Band and Guitar Hero. There's literally months worth of work that goes into one song.

1. You have to ask for the rights to the raw masters (and in the case of old songs, people have to search and find those masters first)

2. Create an entirely new mix (there have even been instances where Harmonix had to 'fix' a mix because the instruments weren't seperated correctly)

3. Chart and beatmatch every single note of the song,

4. Secure publishing rights (which are often separate from the song rights)

5. Create animations to match everything

It's way more complicated than something like Spotify or Singstar, where they just have to get the permission from the artist or studio to use the song. Creating a subscription based service would probably mean losing a lot of money.

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
Are you going to be there? Is Amplitude the game you were demoing at FiG? I passed by the booth to check out the game it looked pretty cool but I had to go back to my booth quickly. The game looked pretty good.

Yes, I'll be there! We were showing off A City Sleeps. This is Amplitude -- it's a re-imagining of the PS2 game we made of the same name years ago.

Stop by our booth and say "yo."

I really just don't know if this is a good idea, because the instrument rhythm games disappeared for a reason. Over-saturation, and the casual audience that ate it up for a while, got bored with it.

Do you realize that the last Guitar hero and Rock band were released five (5) years ago?

Thats an eternity. There are plenty of incoming college freshmen who may have never been exposed to the series, for example.

The thing is, there are plenty of people that still have plastic instruments and would quickly pat $60 for 100 new songs. That is, as long as they can use their plastic instruments.

Making people buy all new sets is the fastest way into failure.

ViciousDS

Banned
rock band 4 with dlc subscription..............hhhnnnggg

give me a whole new set of instruments as well, I would bite instantly.

FyreWulff

Hoping for a Wii U version as well, considering the previous games had a Wii port.

oh yeah, derp.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Wii was dropped in a cross-gen scenario since it's basically pirated out the eyeballs now.

Interestingly, the Wii U is currently the only next-gen console that you can play your last-gen RBDLC, via vWii mode. Potentially all Harmonix would have to do on Wii U is read the DLC right off the SD Card for Wii mode..

I would be shocked if DLC export didn't happen, moreso than anything else. They wouldn't have started doing DLC updates to tease a new Rock Band if none of the music carried over. Why bother getting the rights, charting the music, and releasing it to tease a game that the people buying that DLC are still gonna buy anyway? It would be a waste. Instrument cross compatibility and cross-gen stuff is less likely. Although, instruments will probably work, since those were all USB. My pipe dream is that I can export all my DLC from my 360 version of Rock Band to a potential WiiU version. But, like I said, pipe dream.

Edit: And if there's anything in the world that would make me buy a Xbox One, it would be Rock Band.

They sent out a survey approximately one month ago... Do you think they've already made serious decisions about the game design with the results from that survey?

I think they will announce an RB4, but I highly doubt we'll hear information about specific details like DLC/instrument transitions for some time...

I put thousands of hours FCing 99% of songs on X drums back in the day. I would drop a lot of money on an Xbox One bundle if that's what I have to do to get my DLC over.

FyreWulff

I would be shocked if DLC export didn't happen, moreso than anything else. They wouldn't have started doing DLC updates to tease a new Rock Band if none of the music carried over. Why bother getting the rights, charting the music, and releasing it to tease a game that the people buying that DLC are still gonna buy anyway? It would be a waste. Instrument cross compatibility and cross-gen stuff is less likely. Although, instruments will probably work, since those were all USB. My pipe dream is that I can export all my DLC from my 360 version of Rock Band to a potential WiiU version. But, like I said, pipe dream.

Edit: And if there's anything in the world that would make me buy a Xbox One, it would be Rock Band.

For comparison, a lot of Dance Central's DLC carried over, but the disc exports did not.

I'm expecting a similar situation for Rock Band - we'll get most DLC, but none of the disc exports. RB1 is definitely a loss since you need to export via the actual game. The other ones are delivered via the store but that doesn't guarantee the licensing will be viable.

Perhaps Green Day at minimum since it was made available as regular DLC.

I loved the old games, but I'm really only interested in this if it's F2P or cheap initial price, with a focus on buying songs/albums/packs as you go, or a subscription model. I don't really have much interest in paying $60 (or more if no backwards compatibility with instruments) for a song list of which maybe half I'd be interested in playing more than once, then having to pay more money on top of that for DLC songs that I do want to play. I did that last gen, but can't see myself doing it again.

border

I think that most people that call for a subscription based service have no idea how much work goes into the DLC for music games like Rock Band and Guitar Hero. There's literally months worth of work that goes into one song.
They have hundreds of songs already recorded, mixed, and charted. A Spotify-like subscribtion model for all of that legacy content seems a lot more plausible than the alternative wherein all the rights holders are okay with you just downloading your old songs for free.

Gorger

I have over 1000 DLC on Rock Band 3, hundreds of hours played. It's one of my favorite genre. I love getting together playing my favorite songs.

Give us improved UI, 1080p/60 frames highway, a better way to setup calibration, more realistic graphics, dynamic crowd that cheers after solos and memorable parts, let us connect with our real guitar, give us different breakneck speed options for those who likes slow and fast highway, let us transfer our old DLC and give us an option to subscribe giving us access to all songs to download at our leisure.
If backward instrument compatibility isn't possible, then don't make the next guitars like RB1/RB2, they were horrid compared to Guitar Hero's guitars. Use the Warriors of Rock guitar as a template. I really feel they perfected it with that guitar, and I've been using the same one for the last 4-5 years without it breaking.

Just perfect the game and support it with DLC, and then they don't have to worry about making a sequel until the next generation. Shouldn't be too hard, right...? :D

Top Bottom