• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 games. 1 Year. 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synth

Original Post

Resogun
7722aec0-356e-49be-b7ad-54f9e8e49b17_zpsygybkbcq.jpg

Criteria: Standard game completion
Time played: 2 hours

Simple and fun. I did feel that the graphical effects were somewhat overdone, and were basically just throwing particles around purely because they could. Many of my deaths were from things I didn't even make an attempt to avoid, simply because I didn't even notice them through all the visual noise.

I'll probably return to play this again at harder difficulty levels, but I doubt it's something I strive for high scores on.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Been to super busy all month ta post but I did beat 5 more games! This is the end of my Sonic rush. Now whats another series with a ton of short games? I can think of one...!

Games Beaten: 13 / 52
Total Playtime: 81 hours, 44 minutes

01 - ??

After a month, I'm back. I'm slowly getting closer to 100 completed games (no I'm not I'm on fucking 8 and it's basically March).

Metro 2033 (Complete!)

Samurai Warriors 4 (Complete!):

Plants VS Zombies Garden Warfare (Complete!)

REmake: Chris Route is done. I'm an idiot so it took me 8 hours because I kept getting stuck on the simplest things.

MGR Main Story: I could play this game all day. Beat it on Hard finally!

MGR Sam DLC: Everything was perfect. Wish it was longer, but damn once you get the timing down on that charged slashing, Sam becomes more fun than Raiden.

MGR Bladewolf DLC: More stealthbased, but very enjoyable.

RE:Rev EP1 (Yes I'm splitting this up in parts): Addicting. Barry's part was more enjoyable, and I'll probably do the next episode with co-op once it's done being modded in.

The Order is next up, and that should go fast. Dragon Ball Xenoverse's story mode is almost done as well. Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires only takes one runthrough of the Empires Mode but that'll probably take a few days considering I'm only a Free Officer that doesn't want the responsibility of joining a faction

Dryk

Original Post

Game #16: There Came an Echo: 4.1 hours
Had a lot of fun with this. Story, voice-acting, art etc were all as good as I expect from Iridium. Can't say much more without spoiling.

Animation on the 3D models was a little wonky at times, but that's normal for an RTS of this scale. Gameplay was a little simple but understandable considering the fledgling control method. I had problems with the voice recognition on some of the more complex commands at times but I can mumble so most of the time I could tell it was my fault. Not always though, this game is definitely not for anyone that demands perfect responsiveness.

Keep up the good work feep

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Original post.

February:

#8: Kick & Fennick (PSV) - PS+ freebie
This was a nice surprise, at first. Half way in, welp, weird difficulty spike and cheap deaths. 4/10

#9: Apotheon (PS4) - PS+ freebie
Nice and unique art style, crappy physics and combat. Plus the game crashed on me like 6 times. 4/10

#10: Transistor (PS4) - PS+ freebie
I played this last year on my PC, and I still simply love every bit of it. The story, the art style, the music, the everything. 9/10

#11: Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris (PS4) - $8
I liked the Guardian of Light and this was more of that. 8/10

#12: The Order 1886 (PS4, Platinum'd) - $60
Great atmosphere, solid gameplay but nothing special, a lot of pacing issues and missed opportunities. 7/10

#13: Alien: Isolation (PS4) - $45
Frustrating. That's all I wanna say about this game. 6/10

Eggbok

January

32VnYUQ.png

Game 7: DmC: Devil May Cry (PS3) - [11.5 Hours]
- I forgot to add this to my first post but I finished it last month. I've played DmC before on X360 so this was more of a trophy run. I'm not the biggest fan of the changes but I still find the game enjoyable. I was also craving
some hack and slash games so this was a perfect choice. Definitely going to pick up the definitive edition when it comes out.

ntAZBu5.png

Game 8: Killzone 3 (PS3) - [6.5 Hours]
- This run was supposed to be a run when I finish the game and get the rest of the trophies however I didn't realize that all my saves were on my broken PS3. So I actually had to replay the entire game so that I could the ones I needed. I really like the Killzone series though, nothing will top 2 though.

btF7RkN.png

Game 9: Sleeping Dogs (PS3) - [23 Hours]
- I've played Sleeping Dogs before when it first came so I knew what to expect. It was my first time playing it on PS3 though and I didn't remember much of what happened
so it was like playing it for the first time again. The last few missions reminded me why I loved the game so much it is simply amazing. I think one of the reasons why I
enjoy Sleeping Dogs so much is the gameplay. The fighting is so satisfying compared to most open world games that have been releasing lately.

H2ZpZrB.png

Game 10: LEGO Harry Potter Years 5-7 (PS3) - [41.5 Hours]
- The LEGO Harry Potter games are probably my favorite ones that have been made so far. Probably the best 40 hours I've ever put into a LEGO game. As a huge Harry Potter
fan I absolutely love wandering around Hogwarts while the soundtrack is playing killing people with spells lol. It does a really good job of creating scenes from the movie without actual dialogue, like most of the older LEGO games. Too bad they never made a Harry Potter complete, I would buy it so fast.

xkWFaG1.png

Game 11: Papo & Yo (PS3) - [2.5 Hours]
- I had a lot of fun with this game, I remember playing the demo when it first came out and falling in love with the mechanics. The reviews aren't that great but I still enjoyed it, thankfully
I didn't read them until after I finished it. The story is really clever though, I liked how they
depicted the boy dealing with his father and the things his father was dealing with.

XEqFYv4.png

Game 12: Dying Light (PS4) - [38.5 Hours]
- This game really surprisedmeand probably my favorite of the year so far. I wasn't expecting much before I played it and I was already feeling burnt out on open world games. At first I just assumed it wouldbe Dead Island all over again but man was I wrong. I enjoyed Dying Light a ton more than Dead Island, the parkour makes the game. The story was pretty predictable though, and the final boss fight was disappointing like the first Dead Island but the gameplay definitely saved it. Hopefully they make another game in the series because it's really amazing.

Dryk

Game #17: Puzzle Agent: 3.4 hours
Too short for my liking considering the style of the game, but enjoyable nonetheless. Puzzle Agent is a Professor Layton game with the setting of Twin Peaks and a small sprinkling of the townsfolk from Hot Fuzz. It only has 37 puzzles, and they never get very hard but the story and animation style are enough to keep you engaged.

Wortany

Original Post

I had been updating my original post without actually providing update posts, but as I haven't really completed much yet, I'll just change it up.
At the moment, I'm kind of behind schedule to finish 52 in year, but I'll try to make it up soon.

January:

HiUNtZt.png

1. Mass Effect 3 (PC)- 70 hours
Mass Effect 3 had great lore building throughout the story just like the previous games.
But man, the dissapointment of that ending is enormous, I can't even imagine what the dissapointment must have been before the extended endings where added.

February:

MZe4SUp.png

2. Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons (PC) - 3.5 hours
Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons, is a great game to round out an evening if you want to experience something unique and not too long. The way the story is told with sound, incomprehensible voices and animation was quite an excellent mix. A short story in game form that is recommendable to go through for everyone.

SsCiM6r.png

3. There Came an Echo (PC) - 6 hours
Thanks Feep! Voice recognition was awesome to try out like this but it remains a hit-and-miss depending on accent and microphone quality.

March:

n5jDm2h.png

4. Sequence (PC) - 8 hours
After playing There Came an Echo, I thought it would be a great idea to go through Sequence again. Especially after hearing one of the songs for a short bit right at the start of There Came an Echo. Still an amazing rythm RPG.

Ladekabel

February

Game 7: Metal Gear Solid 2 HD: My first Metal Gear Solid game! Skipped MGS 1 because I can't stand Gen 5 3D-games. Liked it overall, though the fight against the Metal Gear Ray army got a little bit frustrating because the homing missiles always hit my ankle and I died. And I didn't expected the final fight with the sword being fun but it was.
Game 8: Kingdom Hearts: Re: Chain of Memories HD: I still have a soft spot for the card battle system. Though I prefer the GBA version I still like CoM, camera issues aside. And I vastly prefer the Riku campaign over the Sora campaign.

Wasn't in the mood to play games so I only got two down in Febraury. Hope I can finish more in March.

Spyware

Ack, this game...
First I pre-ordered it and hated it (the infuriatingly bad CC was the reason for that). Got a refund. Bought it on a sale and played it again. Still hate the CC but after spending over 10 hours with it I finally "get it" and can consistently make characters I don't hate at least :p
Then I played a bunch of hours before I realised that a simple texture mod destroyed the characters when they left Haven. So I had to remake all my characters and start over. Played a new character for 40 hours before hitting a game breaking bug and had to ditch that character since she was completely stuck. At this point I nearly gave up of course :p
But I made a new character, played her to the point where the previous got stuck and feared the worst... and got past with no problem. Bah. Anyways, I finally finished the game!

x3rxQaE.png

03-01-15 - Game 15: Dragon Age: Inquisition - 101 hours on the save I finally finished the game on.
I really wanted to like this game. In the end it's "okay" and nothing more. The world is pretty but way too empty. The antagonist is a joke and the main story is just... meh. The side quests? Oh don't even start. Erk.
But the music is wonderful and I think most of the characters are the best BioWare have made in many years. I love almost everyone in the Inquisition.
The biggest reason I spent a total of about 160 hours on this game is that it works as a "low energy game". I mostly just rode around on my pretty Hart and collected random worthless stuff. It didn't require me to think much and that worked for me during the past month.

(Main post)

Sioul

Original post

Feb Update:

It was a slow gaming month, working overtime to meet deadlines ;/

Game 7 (Feb. 1): Assassin's Creed: Revelations (Xbox 360) ~ 30 Hours - ★★★★☆
F05YY4g.jpg

Similar to the last two games, it is a fun game with good story and a nice end.
I like how it finish the story of Altair and Ezio

daveo42

Banned
Game 4: Persona Q - 93h 29m | Started: 2014 - Completed: 3/1/15

Took me some time to make it though the game for the first time, but I finally made it to the end. I wish Persona games had this level of dungeon crawling in it as opposed to randomly generated dungeons. This was a breath of fresh air for the series as the dungeons were fun, had some interesting puzzles and made me happy to be spending the majority of my game fighting monsters. I will say the last dungeon did wear a bit thin, but by then I was nearing the end. The story was okay, but the interactions between P3 and 4's casts were some of the best moments. I'd say it is a must-play for a fan of Persona and RPGs.

Initial Post Here

GLuigi

Original Post

Falling a little bit behind in my goal of finishing 5 games each month, but I think I will be able to pick up the pace a little bit this month

Game #10: Spec Ops: The Line (PC) - 7 Hours
Not so great game, but a really good experience. The game does what it sets out to do and that is to make the player uncomfortable. I was not too thrilled about the gameplay. The cover system was a bit of pain to work with. I was mostly annoyed how you needed to be looking at the place you want to take cover at in order to do the cover action. The cover prompt does not work if you are looking over or to the side of the place does not work, which I tend to do to make sure i keep track of anyone trying to flank. I keep find myself just standing there once i get to a wall and take the time to look at it just so I can take cover. That usually ends up me taking a few bullets and leaving me near death. On the plus side, I do appreciate being able to tell my teammates to focus their fire at a particular target (even if sometimes they take all the time in the world to start firing at them). The game shines the most with its characters and storytelling. I enjoyed seeing the unsettling changes in the tone of the game as it went on (especially the loading screens), and was always wanting to play more to see what happens next.

Game #11: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice For All (3DS) - 20 Hours
I always have mixed feelings playing this game as it has both my favorite and least favorite case in the entire series, but overall its still an enjoyable game. Every time I play this I always get stuck on cases 2 and 4 trying to trigger every flag in order to get out of the investigation portion of the game. Some quick notes about the trilogy collection, would of been nice to have a dialogue log added to each game and it would be more beneficial for the collection to start off with the game you last have a save with.

jiggles

Banned
Games 1 - 20
Games 21+

Game 22: Rayman Legends
36609c3d6cf0d6ca08878kauko.jpg

When Rayman Origins came out, I thought it was pretty cool. Rayman Legends being announced as a Wii U exclusive was actually one of the things to sway me in to buying the console at launch. Of course, things didn't turn out that way, and I sort of forgot about it until it came through my door on Saturday from my rental list. I wasn't really in the mood to start something else from scratch with so many "in progress" games in my pile, but curiosity got the better of me and I popped the disc in. I couldn't put it down after that. This game, guys. Holy shit. So gorgeous, with amazing character and level design and near-endless variety. I haven't seen a game this well made in years, and with a seriously generous amount of content. Now, I don't doubt this is mostly due to the lengthy post-production period Ubisoft forced upon Ancel's team, but given their recent output, maybe this is the answer? Anyway, I loved this. Definitely the best game on Wii U and maybe the best platformer I've ever played.
If you like Super Mario World, or Rayman Origins you'll like this

smisk

Jan. - Feb. Games

Game 6: Hexcells(PC) - Beaten 3/1/15
Brief but fun puzzle game. Starts out as a slightly different version of minesweeper, but slowly adds elements that make it increasingly complex. Great difficulty curve, and makes you feel brilliant whenever you complete a puzzle.

Game 7: Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches(PC) - Beaten 3/4/15
Dishonored is still one of my favorite games of the past few years, and it was great to have an excuse to go back to it. This game has done DLC better than most, with several missions that parallel the main campaign where you play as a different (and in some ways cooler) character. This DLC is a continuation of The Knife of Dunwall and had some great moments, I'd highly recommend it if you like Dishonored.

Game 8: Super Mario Bros. 3(NES [Emulated]) - Beaten 3/21/15
First time playing this game, and I think it's my favorite 2D Mario game now... Level design is impressive and surprisingly complex later in the game, especially for a NES title. It's also more difficult than the more recent 2D Mario games (thank god for save states).

Game 9:Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective(DS) - Beaten 3/27/15
Ghost Trick is a fun little adventure/puzzle game and honestly had one of the best stories of any game I've played. Has characters with depth, an interesting premise and numerous twists and turns. Puzzles are challenging but never overly difficult.

Game 10: Shovel Knight(PC) - Beaten 4/5/15
This NES homage takes elements of DuckTales, Mega Man, Mario, Castlevania and more to create an amazing platformer that is more than the sum of it's parts. Does the 8/16-bit aesthetic better than any game I can think of. Stages are challenging, but the checkpoints are placed perfectly so you are never overly frustrated. And to top it all off this game has amazing music.

Game 11: Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World(GBA) - Beaten 5/25/15
Finally finished another game... I played a lot of this when I was younger but couldn't beat it, luckily I'm better now. Great game, and probably the best 2D Mario platformer in my opinion.

Currently Playing:
TIE Fighter Collectors CD-ROM
Pillars of Eternity
Super Metroid
Defense Grid: The Awakening

Krafter

My February haul (slow month, but I'll blame the 28 day thing):

Game 9: LittleBigPlanet (PS3) - February 7 - 20 hours
Beautiful platformer, light-hearted and fun, superb narration by Stephen Fry. Both games in the series I have played I loved, so at this point I actually prefer the LBP games to Nintendo's platformers. My only complaint is maybe this sort of game should have infinite lives at the checkpoints as it's not a competition.

Game 10: Mystery Quest: Curse of the Ancient Spirits (DS) - February 14 - 6 hours
Utterly forgettable hidden-object game played through with my wife in a weekend where we were both sick on the couch. Decent graphics, terrible controls. Oh well.

Game 11: Tekken 5 (PS2) - February 25 - 5 hours
Liked it, beat the story mode with King (my main) and Raven. Part of my eternally failing mission to retire my PS2, 1 more game down.

Been playing: Destiny of Spirits, Ar Tonelico, Naughty Bear, Dead Nation, Assassin's Creed, Warcraft III: the Frozen Throne.

Original Post

Game 10: inFAMOUS: First Light - 3.5 hours - March 2nd, 2015
LiOkJM9.png

I think in retrospect, I might have enjoyed this just as much if not more than than Second Son itself. The best part of First Light is getting rid of those terrible, goofy, binary "choices." The story itself is pretty good, even if we know what's going to happen (if you've played i:SS). I enjoyed my time in the city, even if it suffers from a similar problem Second Son did (i.e., repetitive missions). And of course, it takes the best part of Second Son, gameplay, and utilizes it magnificently. I've only finished the story, but I expect I'll be coming back to this one for some time as I seek the platinum. - 7/10

original post
11. Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle (3DS); 14 hours

I skipped the DS titles after the first, since the core concept hardly constituted an interesting videogame. The original titles might as well have been generic crossword puzzle collections with a few cutscenes thrown in. On 3DS, it feels much more like an actual game. The diorama for each location looks really good now and actually conveys a feeling of actually exploring a world. It looks especially good with 3D on, although the character models aren't as good as they could be (see: Ace Attorney 5). And it's also a really fun place to explore. As usual, the art direction and music are really good, although some character designs got a little too absurd. The challenges and puzzles during the beginning felt immediately more reasonable and integrated into the actual locations than usual, but unfortunately, as the time goes on, it regressed back into sliding puzzles and maths problems straight out of hell. Who'd want a videogame built around that? It's also still frustrating that some puzzles are only challenging because their descriptions are written poorly. Thankfully, it's never as awful as the Curious Village in that regard, but still not nearly as good as the crossover with Ace Attorney, with toned all that crap down significantly. Also, the atmosphere was good enough, but the story was pretty predictable and kinda generic towards the end. I'd expect Layton to be much crazier.

Caramello

January & February Update - 13/52 Games Completed

Game 1 - Metroid Fusion

ajVRDvw.jpg

Game 2 - Pokémon: Alpha Sapphire

u5ykLw0.jpg

Game 3 - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

E5UCWHD.png

Game 4 - Luigi's Mansion 2

YdCBYKw.jpg

Game 5 - The Evil Within

0W3sGvy.png

Game 6 - SteamWorld Dig

xYcXny0.jpg

Game 7 - The Swapper

KmZP8SB.jpg

Game 8 - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D

xqZzIwK.jpg

Game 9 - Nidhogg

CMmd3CB.jpg

Game 10 - Infamous: First Light

3oFsqa6.jpg

Game 11 - The Unfinished Swan

UI5WOkW.jpg

Game 12 - Tomb Raider

rgRTc0T.jpg

Game 13 - Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

whEQSWi.jpg

Dr. Buni

Original post

Game #15: Dark Souls II

Sftgwx4.png

ux0lXmp.png

Fantastic game, while it does have its fair share of problems, so do Demon's and Dark Souls. Once you get in the mindset that the game encourages co-op play during some of the areas and boss fights, it gets a lot more enjoyable (although I definitely prefer to solo bosses, some of them are far too obnoxious to face by yourself). Actually, this game made me love co-op in Souls series, being summoned to help others is very s

9wo49xG.png

28:44h. Did most things, including all the hostesses and the ADAM quesltine. What a ride! I remember I played this back in the day and I abandoned the game
the first time you come back to Kamuro
. Lots of things to do, lots of things to see, setting is great... sad to see it end.

Updated OP

Arion

Original Post

Game 13: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D - 20 hours
Incredible game. I think I like it more than Ocarina. The game is filled with creativity and quality. The premise is the best of any Zelda game. There are some really dark themes in the game and it handles them in both a mature and wholesome way. A true masterpiece.

Game 14: League of Legends - 10 hours
Back to playing more League of Legends after a 2 year long hiatus. There has been a lot of changes so it feels fresh. Thankfully the EU servers have much better stability now.

Game 15: Snatcher - 8 hours
A gripping cyberpunk mystery. This is one of Kojima's lesser known games and I am glad I tried it out. The game is a mixture of visual novel, point and click adventure and light-gun shooter. Compared to the other two adventure games I played this year, this one had the perfect difficulty for puzzles. Not too easy (The Wolf among us) to make me feel disconnected from the game and not too difficult (Grim Fandango) to constantly make me turn to a walkthrough. The game gave me enough options and freedom to make feel like I was the one conducting the investigation yet all the puzzles made logical sense so solving them felt satisfying. Nevertheless, the game truly shines with the narrative. The writing carries with it the usual Kojima flair; heady philosophical themes, emotional moments balanced by comical antics, tasteful fourth wall breaking and references to western media. The game wears it's Blade Runner homage with pride but the story is different enough to make it feel like it's own thing. The characters are all brilliant but the voice acting is distractingly bad. The art and music is overall superb and presents a cool Noir/Sci-Fi atmosphere. There is also a smidgen of fan service, nothing too crude but enough to make things a little exciting. The game is certainty a relic of the 90's as I don't see games or even anime like this getting made in the present. The story is very adult yet it isn't gritty. There is a sense of romanticism about the whole game which juxtaposes the mature elements without causing a noticeable contrast. The whole game flows really well with the pacing and the structure. I highly recommend this game to Kojima fans and Sci-fi fans.

JTripper

Original Post

Game 11 - CounterSpy (PS4): Completed on 3/3/15, 2 Hours
- My time with the game consists of one complete playthrough and another partially completed one with only a few levels left. What made this game fun was finding all the secret extras in each level. The stealth mechanics are a bit simplistic which make being detected frustrating sometimes but the game isn't very hard despite that. Since it's so short, the game really warrants multiple playthroughs to unlock everything, including trophies, but I had my fun with it by seeing what it had to offer. It's an enjoyable, simple, short side-scrolling shooter with a pretty cool art style.

Anas

Banned
Finished Games 2015

1- Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix
Finished 2015.01.30 | 75 Hours.

2- Beyond : Two Souls
Finished 2015.02.03 | 20 Hours

3- Saints Row The Third
Finished 2015.01.31 | 20 Hours

4- Red Dead Redemption
Finished 2015.02.07 | 18 Hours

5- Portal 2
Finished 2015.02.09 | 08 Hours

6- Lightning Returns (2nd Time)
Finished 2015.02.12 | 30 Hours

7- The Wolf Among Us
Finished 2015.02.19 | 11 Hours

8- Resident Evil Revelation 2 Episode 1
Finished 2015.02.28 | 02 Hours

9- Far Cry 4
Finished 2015.02.28 | 28 Hours

10- DuckTales Remastered
Finished 2015.03.04 | 03 Hours

11- Resident Evil Revelation 2 Episode 2
Finished 2015.03.04 | 02 Hours

12- Trine 2
Finished 2015.03.06 | 07 Hours

13- Resident Evil Revelation 2 Episode 3
Finished 2015.03.11 | 03 Hours

14- Resident Evil Revelation 2 Episode 4 + 2 Extra Episodes
Finished 2015.03.17 | 05 Hours

15- Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale
Finished 2015.03.27 | 12 Hours

16- Life is Strange Episode 1
Finshed 2015.03.29 | 02 Hours

17- Little Big Planet 3
Finished 2015.03.29 | 10 Hours

18- Metal Gear Solid V : Ground Zeroes
Finished 2015.04.01 | 02 Hours

19- Life is Strange Episode 2
Finished 2015.04.01 | 02 Hours

20- Digimon All-Stars Rumble
Finished 2015.04.07 | 11 Hours

21- L.A Noire
Finished 2015.04.08 | 16 Hours

daveo42

Banned
Game 5: Life is Strange - Chapter 1 - 3h 30m | Started: 3/3/15 - Completed: 3/4/15

Interesting little title from Square Enix that seems very much in the vein of Gone Home meets a Telltale Adventure with a swig of time travel. Decent atmosphere and some really great music selections. I'm interested in how the story will play out and if my choices will actually matter by the end of the whole thing or fall a bit flat like the ones in TWD games. I think the one thing I won't get over is some of the teenage dialog, which ended up sound a bit...forced. Still, I think this will be worth playing.

Initial Post Here

Caramello

Game 14: New Super Luigi U

1OAy0di.jpg

Duration: 5:24 (4:43 in 2015)

Quick Thoughts:

New Super Luigi U is the difficulty that many have been craving in the New Super Mario Bros. series. Short, tightly designed courses with a 100 second timer for each one (you also get an extra amount, usually 100, when you reach the door to a boss fight). Generally I'm not the kind of person who likes timers in platforming games and I think the Mario series would be no worse off without them, however, with New Super Luigi U the timer is absolutely necessary. This game puts the focus squarely on tight, fast and precise platforming challenges and having 100 seconds to complete each course puts the player in the right mindset to complete the task.

Overall I enjoyed my time with New Super Luigi U and I'll definitely return to play some of the levels I missed along the way.

Original post.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Game 3: Persona Q, 3DS, 72h
Took me forever to put ths one away. Things just kept seeming to come up, Loved the game though. The dungeon crawling was a fantastic addition to the game. Loved all the little moments as well.

jPvXgce.png

12:46h. Beat Story Mode, with exactly 70.0% of the game completed. I didn't have high expectations for this one because I'm not a shoot'em-up fan, but I enjoyed it greatly. Touch controls are fun (though sometimes picky) and the game is fast and spectacular. On the "down" side, the fourth-wall breakage was a bit too much sometimes and the game was a bit too self-referential for its own good.

Updated OP

Anas

Banned
so.. episodic games count as more than game depending on how much episodes the game have?

cause I'm playing two of 'em.

JTripper

Original Post

Game 13 - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (3DS) Completed Story on 3/5/15, 20 Hours
- What an unusual game to follow OoT. It's dark story and emphasis on side-quests and time management really highlight how unique this game is, and it's definitely now one of my favorite Zeldas because of just how different it is. The game's level design is genius, including all of the settings outside of the dungeons. Even though there are only 4 official ones, the prerequisite quests to unlock the main dungeons are almost like mini-dungeons themselves, just in more wide-open settings. Not to mention that this game is way more side-quest focused than any other Zelda game. The newly enhanced bomber's notebook and the new save points are cleverly implemented and are smart additions to this version of the game to save time and lessen frustration. I got about half of the masks and completed the story, but I plan on going back in to unlock all the masks and the side-quests.

so.. episodic games count as more than game depending on how much episodes the game have?

I think the way some of us handle them is this:

If the game is finished and all episodes released (e.g. TWD, TWAU, etc), it counts as one game since you'll be playing through the full thing.

If you're playing them as they come out, then it's fair to count them each as individual games (especially given the length of time between episodes).

It's really a personal rule and up to you.

Edit: I think on this page you can see that daveo42 is doing this with Life is Strange.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.

If you're playing through Kentucky Route Zero better count the episodes as entire games. The gap between episodes kind of demands it.

Spyware

Sudden mega progress! I'm back on track for the two games per week goal. Didn't think that would happen so soon after spending SO much time on Inquisition.

header.jpg

03-04-15 - Game 16: LYNE - 20 hours
This was a pretty long puzzle game! I started it in January and finally got through it. It was fun tho. One of those puzzle games where you easily get into the "flow" of it. When I learned to see the patterns it became very relaxing. I think I would have liked it a bit more if I hadn't played it so much during the last days. Spread it out more like I did in the beginning. But ohwell. Still good.

header.jpg

03-04-15 - Game 17: Splice - 2½ hours
Started it up as something to play as I had played LYNE at first, sort of a "now and then" game, but was suddenly half way through it... where the credits are for some reason. Why call half the game the "Epilogue"? Bah. Just kept going since it was so short and suddenly I had yet another finished game. Wasn't impressed by it. Annoying graphics and just not... I dunno. Might have liked it more if I didn't play it right after LYNE, perhaps.

header.jpg

03-05-15 - Game 18: KAMI - 2½ hours
Another short puzzle game! This one I liked a lot! A bit too easy perhaps but oh so beautiful. Really liked the idea. Too bad it wasn't longer.

header.jpg

03-05-15 - Game 19: Never Alone - Almost 3 hours
Aaaand another short game. Much shorter than I thought (and I watched all the little clips too!) but actually just about the perfect lenght for what it was. I really liked that you played a girl even tho the story they got told and based the game on was about a man. Nice change! If the controls had been just a bit better to remove those frustrating spots and odd deaths it would have been great. Now it's "only" good and I'm a bit sad about that. It's such a cute game.

header.jpg

03-05-15 - Game 20: Blackwell Deception - 4 hours (this playthrough, 9 hours total)
Replayed this with commentary to hear the commentary (duh), get all the cheevos and to refresh my memory for Epiphany. Replayed the previous ones late last year for the same reason. It's just so good, just like the rest of them. And they only got better and better so I hope that's true for Epiphany too.

(Main post)

Mman235

Now I've finished the Legacy of Kain series outside Blood Omen (waiting for a PC version re-release) I guess I'll do an update post, although I added BO2 a while ago:

Game 8: Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen 2 - finished

This is the black sheep of the series for being made by different developers and throwing away most of the style and story of the earlier games. Yeah, it's not very good, but it's not bad either, it's mostly just mediocre and not that interesting. The art is weaker, the story is much worse (and the standard shitty game story stuff really sticks out after two games that tried to move away from that) and despite being a bigger focus the combat feels more jank in certain ways due to stuff like inconsistent invincibility frames on enemies and weird weapon hitboxes, it gets better towards the end because your broken endgame abilities pretty much let you bypass it. Stuff like the way bloodsucking is handled so you have to stop after every enemy also feels like busywork. On the other hand it has it's moments, and the latter half has some story moments and use of powers that get dangerously close to being interesting, but it never really follows through with them enough.

Game 9: Legacy of Kain: Defiance - finished

This game seemed to go relatively unmentioned compared to the first two Soul Reaver's, and as a result it turned out to be a pleasant surprise. In terms of gameplay it's essentially a poor man's DMC, but that's okay, and it means the combat in particular is a big improvement. The two character thing is also nice, although the characters should have been differentiated more as in terms of combat they felt near-identical, with Raziel feeling a bit slower (and therefore weaker), so fighting as Kain felt more enjoyable in general. The damage sponge enemies that barely respond to attacks also felt overused later on and got obnoxious. The level design is at least less corridor based than Soul Reaver 2, but there's still some major backtracking (not counting the parts where things actually change a lot which are well-done), and the Reaver shrines got really repetitive as they are very similar and you have to go through them all twice, even if the challenges are different. There's nothing as good as the shrines in SR2, but the lows aren't quite as bad either. In following DMC it also has the same semi-fixed camera, which can be annoying at times, although the game at least isn't hard enough for it to matter much in combat. After SR2 dropped stuff like boss fights and relegated so much to cutscenes I also felt this game did a much better job melding the story and gameplay, which made it my favourite story implementation in the series; the endgame is particular is one "shit just got real" moment after another and it actually ends on a vaguely satisfying note
until you remember it's never going to be fully resolved :(
. It's also the one game in the series with a PC port I didn't find a minefield of crashes.

Overall I think SR1 is the best in the series, and fully deserving of it's status as one of the best games of the 32-bit era; the story and lore is comparatively worse than later on, but the world design is great and what story there is merges well with the gameplay. SR2 goes much further with the story and has some higher highs but the structure really harms it and makes it more akin to an interactive movie with occasional dungeons. BO2 is just mediocre with a few good parts, and Defiance might have been my favourite with a few changes to the combat and level design.

OP

---

Game 9: Saw (PS3) - 5 hrs, 30 mins
Surprisingly decent for what it is. Would only play if you are a fan of the film series though.​

Game 10: Saw II: Flesh and Blood (PS3) - 7 hrs, 45 mins
More of the same from the original really. Changing combat into a series of QTEs isn't really much of an improvement.​

Game 11: Infamous: Second Son (PS4) - 8 hrs~
Didn't enjoy this one as much as First Light. A lot of the sandbox content was pretty mind numbing and Delsin wasn't a very likable lead.​

Game 12: The Godfather II (PS3) - 15 hrs~
Decent GTA clone. I really liked the various things you could do from the Don's view. The lack of a jump button or any kind of fast travel really extended my playtime towards the end when I was going around and taking over rackets and such.​

My 9th game I finished was Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky FC. Overall I enjoyed it a whole lot except for the final boss. His instakill move against the entire party is a completely unfair design and ruined the entire experience. Watched the ending online. I don't have time for that kind of garbage.

List

Drayco21

Update #4- First Week of March

Original post here

Still on-track to make 52 in time, with lots of stuff in the chamber.

Game #11- Marvel Heroes 2015

3IBmH6M.png

Rating: ★★★★ | Platform: PC | Beaten: February 27th | Time: 606:32

This game, combined with my class schedule last year, were big parts of what stopped me from finishing my 52 Games Challenge last year- I spent so much time playing Marvel Heroes that I failed to actually finish dozens of games. After 600 hours, I think I'm at a point where, while I'll still be playing plenty of it as new characters and story stuff comes out, it's not going to dominate my year again.

For this year already, I ran through the story from start to finish and maxed the level for X-23, which probably took me around a dozen hours or so? Give or take a few. It's still a really good video game, with minor improvements to where it was when I added it to my list last year.

Game #12- StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm

hvHnCvf.png

Rating: ★★★★ | Platform: PC | Beaten: March 1st | Time: ~10-11 Hours

This year sure has been a Blizzard kinda year so far, hasn't it? Diablo III, Reaper of Souls, Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm, and now, Heart of the Swarm. I decided to wait a little while before playing this one because as much as I loved Wings of Liberty, a big part of the appeal of StarCraft to me has been playing as the Terrans and doing space-trucker shit- which they blew on the last game. Of the three factions, it's the Zerg Swarm that I liked the least. After the trailer for Legacy of the Void reminded me that I hadn't caught up yet, I decided to track down a copy for $20.

I know people give Blizzard stories shit constantly for being really poorly written- but I still consistently love them. I really liked the evolution of Kerrigan as a character, and I liked the idea of evolving your Swarm to create the optimal army. The biggest appeal in the mechanics for me in this game are Hero Units, which I haven't seen emphasized in an RTS game for a long time, but was a mechanic I always loved. I do wish we got to use the non-Kerrigan characters more often, but they were all a lot of fun. Still, I can't help but wish that this was still a game about space cowboys.

Game #13- Batman: Arkham Asylum

YrSfljV.png

Rating: ★★★★★ | Platform: PS3 | Beaten: March 5th | Time: 8.5 Hours

I've probably played through Arkham Asylum a dozen times by now; I own it for both 360 and PS3, and have frequently gone back to it to run through the story again and again. I still have my reservations about Arkham City- I think going open world was a mistake, and I feel like it added too much fat to the combat that made it feel more bloated. Asylum is a fantastically well-developed world, the combat feels great and the whole game is extremely well paced. It's got a lot of those Metroidvania elements that really shine and stand out that the sequels kind of lost, but really highlight how atmospheric and well realized the whole experience is.

I decided to run through this one on hard on my PS3, since that's where my digital copy is and I still hadn't done that on that console yet, so I could net a couple trophies on the way. The hard mode in this one is always entertaining because it removes the counter highlight icons and forces you to pay a lot more attention to the ton of stuff happening on screen, which forces you to play smarter- you still feel like an absolute badass, but you feel like a human badass, whereas the rest of the game makes you feel like a goddamn inhuman terminator; both are really entertaining, but I almost prefer it without the counter signs.

Currently In-Progress:
Jade Empire (Xbox)- Just starting Chapter 3.
Marvel: Contest of Champions (Mobile)- In the middle of Act 2 of 3.
Heroes of the Storm (PC)- Still learning how to play.
Borderlands 2 (PS3)- PS+ version, coming up on the endgame
Hitman: Contracts (PS3)- PS+
Fate/Stay Night (PC)- About 1/3rd of the way through Heaven's Feel.
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3)- Just started
Hyperdimension Neptunia: Re;birth1- Still relatively early

Games 1-19

Game 20: Shank 2 - 5:00 - COMPLETED
I never played the original so I really can't compare the two. But this is a pretty straight forward hack and slash game. There are some rare platforming sections, but they're very simple. Mostly just sections where youre jumping and swinging from skull to skull, sections where the game will slow down to warn you that a critical jump is company or just your standard platforming. But as I said, it's all really simple.The meat of the game is in the combat. Before each level you're given the chance to select a loadout for three slots. A heavy melee weapon, a gun, and explosives. Most are locked at the start but you unlock them as you rescue hostages throughout the game. Your attacks are a standard slash, heavy, and long range (guns) along with a pounce attack that can really be abused along with the shotgun once you unlock it. Level designs feel mostly the same even though there's a good amount of variety in terms of the look of each level. It's mostly just running through lots of enemies while occasionally doing some platforming. There are some turret sections to break things up a bit, but that's about it for variety. The boss fights are really the highlight of the game. They're basically in the style of old 2D action games where you're looking to memorize patterns. But they still break things up from the usual enemies where there really isn't much to them in terms of strategy. Overall I thought it was fairly enjoyable.

Game 21: Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishment - 15:00 - COMPLETED
Playing this gave me the impression that it's probably the game many people hoped LA Noire would be. It's really a pure detective game where you're going around from location to location to scout for clues and get hints about what possibly happened during each crime. There are some minigames throughout that'll be about as close as you come to action. Those range from lockpicking to arm wrestling. But they do a good job of breaking up the pace. Some of them can be annoying, but that's mostly about you having to understand exactly how they work. Once you do then they're quite easy. There are six cases in total, and they're about 2-3 hours in length each. All of the cases have multiple outcomes, but there's of course one correct outcome for all of them. Some will even allow you to close the cases quite quickly. At the end of each of them you're given options to absolve or condemn whoever you've chosen as the guilty party. Unlike LA Noire, which is open world, SH takes place in small locations that you select from a map. This leads to one of the drawbacks to the game, which is that sometimes you're hopping form those small locations quite often which leads to a lot of loading screen watching. Much the gameplay is made up of searching around the environments for clues. Holmes also has two abilities, one is basically a detective vision that'll highlight points of interest or simply areas that the naked eye can't see, and the other allows him to imagine how events may have played out. You also do interrogations quite often as well as simply interviewing witnesses or suspects. You also perform some autopsies, but those are quite rare.It's free on Plus right now for the PS3, so i'd definitely recommend it to those that enjoy adventure games.

Game 22: Proteus - 2:00 - COMPLETED
This was certainly an interesting game. Your start the game by spawning on a randomly generated island. Once you're in the world you can take a screenshot, sit down or close your eyes, which will bring you back the the title screen where you can generate a new island. For awhile you're just wondering around not sure exactly what you're supposed to do. Walking by certain plants, animals or stones will cause them to make different sounds. You'll eventually stumble upon a set of rocks in a circular pattern, and at night you'll see that it spawns a white circle in the center that'll warp you to another area. You'll quickly start to realize that the new areas are different seasons that the game takes place in. Each time generating different elements in the world. The main goal, if you want to call it that, is to make it through all four seasons of the game. But I think in general that it's about simply exploring the world and seeing how things change from season to season as well as what you can interact with (by the sound it makes when you walk by it). I find it to be enjoyable, although it's definitely something you have to be in the mood for.

Game 23: Hotline Miami - 7:30 - COMPLETED
I started playing this a few years ago but put it aside because the difficulty was really starting to annoy me and because I guess I really wasn't in the mood for it. When I booted it back up I realized I must've played it before I switched harddrives, so all my save data was gone. It really wasn't a big deal since I was only on Chapter 3 or 4. It's a top down shooter where you move with the left stick and aim with the right. R1 fires and R2 locks on. The game picked up where it left off in terms of kicking my ass. It's one shot, one kill for everyone. Frustration can quickly start to creep in when you finally get the kill you've been looking for only to get shot in the back by someone you didn't notice.. But it's one of those games that makes you appreciate instant restarts. It really starts to have a nice flow to it once you get the hang of the mechanics. Learning how to pop in and out of doors to lure enemies out so that you can melee kill them instead of using a gun goes a long way since guns will often alert any nearby enemies. It's also nice that the difficulty isn't really about just overwhelming you with lots of enemies. You're often up against only a handful of enemies that are placed in a way that ends up making the chapter play out like solving a really violent puzzle. Overall it was a solid game, but definitely one that you need to have a lot of patience with.

Game 24: Mighty Flip Champs! DX - 10:00 - COMPLETED
It was a really bad idea for me to go from Hotline Miami to this. One game that can be very frustrating to another. In the game you have two screens in view at all time. Both display your player character, but the screen on the left is the one you're currently progressing in. The screen on the right is a completely different map and you have to figure out where you're going to land when you flip screens. There's also no jump button, which makes making the right flip really important. They usually range from having about 1-7 separate maps per world. There are five worlds that have eight levels in them, and a sixth final world that's just a standalone final level. The eight level in each world is typically different from the rest in that rather than being able to manually flip screens you're instead on a timer and the game will flip the screen automatically once the timer runs out. There's also one of those levels that isn't time but might be one of the most hellish gaming experiences i've ever had. I literally spent at least two hours trying to beat it. If you play the game you'll know exactly what it is when you get to it. Some levels will have red, blue and yellow switches on them that'll control whether blocks of that color appear on the map. The majority of you deaths will likely come from simply flipping inside of wall, which is of course instant death. The only other way you can die is by falling or running into spikes. It can get pretty frustrating at times, but it's still a unique and enjoyable puzzle game.

Game 25: Dead Space 3 - 12:30:11 - COMPLETED
I'll start this off by saying that this game has without question the most infuriating save system i've ever encountered in a game. It has two types of auto saves, inventory and progress. You can also manually save, but that only saves your inventory. The issue creeps in due to none of them seemingly keeping track of where you're actually at. I first noticed this relatively early on in the game when I manually saved and turned off the game. When I started up again I noticed that I was slightly behind where I was when I saved. But I didn't think much of it since i've played other games where the save sets you back slightly from where you were. But the second time I noticed it was when I completed a major objective and got to what I thought would be a good place to stop playing. When I started again I had to complete that entire objective again. So I thought I should just make sure that I got to the next chapter before I stopped playing. I did that and when I started up again it didn't start me at that new chapter. Instead I had to go all the way through another section to get back to that chapter. From looking around it seems like no one really understands how the saving works in this game. Because of that I decided to just push through the game nonstop, which meant that I played it for around eight out straight because I was scared that the save wouldn't work properly. Getting to the actual game, it's action heavy to a surprising degree. I know that they ramped up the action in DS2 in comparison to the original, but this really comes across as being an all out action game at times. You sometimes have waves of enemies coming at you only to progress a little forward and wave another wave come at you. As a result the game relies heavily on jump scares, and they end up not working because they happen so often. You either have enemies popping out of lockers or vents with a loud sound or music playing really loud. But it's something that you just come to expect because of how often it happens. Speaking of enemies, DS3 introduces soldiers into the mix. Which leads to sections where you're ducking behind walls to shoot at them. I didn't really care for them too much, but at least you only fought them a few times. Another thing DS3 introduces is universal ammo, which replaces the weapon specific ammo that you'd find in previous games. The main reason for this is that DS3 also introduces a weapon crafting system where you can create rather imaginative weapons. But the problem with it is that you'll likely just end up using one or two weapons since you don't have to really worry about ammo running out like you did in previous games. Overall I thought it was a good game,i'm just not sure if it's a good Dead Space game.

Game 26: Battlefield: Hardline - 7:00 - COMPLETED
I've been really looking forward to this game as i'm a big fan of Visceral and had confidence that they could deliver a quality campaign. And they did. It brings back the freedom to approach objectives in various ways like you could in Bad Company. It also doesn't rely nearly as much on setpieces as BF3 or BF4 does. They exist, but they're few and far between. The missions general revolve around you do typical things that you'd expect in shooters. Planting bugs to spy on people, escaping locations, finding items etc. What makes them interesting if the arrest mechanics. This basically makes it where you can stealth through the majority of the game. By pressing L1 when a enemy is highlights you'll get them to drop their weapons and hold their hands up, at which time you can arrest them. You can hold three criminals up at once, but you have to keep an eye on an icon that pops up as it indicates that a suspect is going for the gun. So you have to keep aiming your gun at different enemies in order to keep it from filling up. If you have a partner with you they'll help you out whenever you're arresting enemies so that the icon won't fill up. Because of the stealth aspect the game has an MGS-style radar. Enemies have vision cones and there's even a caution (if enemies think they see you) or alert mode (when they've definitely seen you). You can also throw gun shells to distract them or lure them to a location to take out. There are even levels where you can make it through the entire thing without engaging anyone in any way. There are of course some parts of the game where you have planned shootouts. But they aren't anything like what you'd see in BF3/4. You're usually only dealing with about 7-10 guys in that shootout. The story is very over the top, but that should be expected. The game is just a lot of fun. It's a nice change of pace from the normal high octane FPS experience.

Game 27: Bloodborne - 35:25:16 - COMPLETED
What a magical game. It can be a big frustrating at the beginning since you have very little stamina and health, which means that you're are likely going to die a lot in a very small period of time. Especially once you reach the bosses. The lack of stamina is going to hurt you more in the lack of mobility than your attacks since its linked to the dodge. So you've got to make sure to avoid spamming the dodge since you'll drain your stamina fairly fast and will basically be a sitting duck for any of the faster enemies or enemies that have weapons with a long reach. The sense of speed with the combat is also something that takes a big of time to get used to. It's not DMC or Bayonetta fast, but it's faster than any of the Souls games. The game encourages aggressive play due to a lack of decent shields and the regain system. You're given a small window of time after you've taken damage to deal damage back to enemies in order to get your health back. The upside if of course getting your health back without having to use a blood vial, the downside is that there's a decent chance that you could pay with your life. I died numerous times by trying to get too greedy while trying to get my health back. But both work great together as far as keeping you on your toes. The parrying system is another great risk/reward mechanic. You can shoot your gun while an enemy is readying an attack and if you time it just right you'll stun them for a short period of time and that'll allow you to do a visceral attack, which is your really high damage attack that's only available when that happens. The risk part is that you're going to eat it big time if you miss the timing on bigger enemies. They'll basically absorb the gunshot and still hit you. Once you make it a decent amount into the game it really starts to open up both in terms of going to completely optional areas as well as your character builds. You start to run into places where enemies drop more echoes, so you don't have to be as picky with where you them into. The world design and creature designs are two things that deserve a lot of praise. It's really amazing to watch both change over the course of the game. I really can't think of many games that really evolve the way this one does. The enemy variety is another aspect that deserves praise. Every new location you reach has its own set of enemies. There are some carry overs as you'd expect, but even those are changed in some ways to make them unique to that area. In general it's one of the most enjoyable experience i've had in some time. It's one that really rewards players if they're patient.

Game 28: Toukiden: Kiwami - 49:52 - COMPLETED
I haven't really been a fan of the "Hunter" genre since Phantasy Star Online. With the MonHun games, I just can't really get into the weighty combat. But Toukiden always interested me because of how much faster it looked. It's more of a standard action game in a Hunter settings. So I was quite happy when they announced a PS4 version of the series. Getting to the main game. The missions are generally fairly simple you having to do something like securing a certain number of zones per map, finding prayer stones (praying to them will restore your abilities) or just simply beating a specific number of a certain oni type. Your primary goal is to slay Oni, which range from small creatures that you can kill relatively fast to giant enemies that take 10m+ to kill. Most missions involving larger Oni are specifically built around that, so you'll only have a starting zone and the boss area once you warp to the map.. So it's usually just a 4(your slayers):1 battle against it, although there are sometimes smaller oni in the boss area as well.. Once in battle you'll start attacking its body party to chop them off. Once they're off you can purify them, which will give you items to forge new weapons or armor. The giant Oni also have several phases. From the start you have to weardown its armor before you can do any damage to it. Once your break the armor you'll have a small window of time to do direct damage to the Oni. During that period that also become enraged, so they're much more dangerous. Most of the Oni have second form once you do enough damage to them. This form will change their attack patterns and movesets almost entirely. Once you beat one you can purify their corpse for items and sometimes Mitama. Mitama are souls that you can put into your weapons to give you boosts. They can be upgraded once you've put them in your weapons through battles or by simply using your ingame currency to upgrade them. Benefits can range anywhere from attacks to additional health or stamina. Weapons can hold up to three Mitama at once. There are also sidequests, but they're handled in a way where your main quest giver (Yu) just tells you what people want and if you've got those items you can complete the quest by selecting it off the quest list. All missions have a time limit, usually 1h, but it shouldn't give you too much of an issue in any of the main missions. I really enjoyed the game, but the simple mission structure may turn some off. Like I said, the main goal of the game is fighting the large Oni. So you should have a lot of fun as long as you enjoy the battle system.

Game 29: Mortal Kombat X - 11:00 - COMPLETED
At the start of the game you select which faction you want to be part of. There are five factions in total. Everything you do in the game from winning to performing combos or fatalities will contribute to your factions overall score. Factions also have their own unique kills. You can switch factions at any time, although any progress you made in a previous faction is wiped if you do that. The actual story mode only took me around 2-3 hours to complete. The rest was mostly just playing around in towers. The story mode is quite enjoyable, although obviously rather short. For the most part the campaign is traditional MK matches that take place over the course of several chapters. Each chapter will have different characters that you'll play as. The one difference between standard matches and story matches is that you can't do brutalities or fatalities in them for obvious story related reasons. The matches just end whenever you or your opponents healthbar is drained. Some of the cutscenes throughout the story also have QTE's, but those are fairly rare and also quite simple as you're given a big window of time to push the button. The Living Towers are one of the major news additions to the game. Instead of just one tower that stays the same, you have three that changes every hour, day and week. The weekly tower is based on a specific theme, for example the current one is based on Mortal Kombat 1. It's also the hardest one. All towers will have modifiers for matches within them. So you may go to a tower where every match will have mines on the ground, that'll increase in damage and frequency as you go up the tower. There are over 100 modifiers, so there's a lot of variety in how it changes the matches. It's certainly the most feature complete fighting game released so far. There's a ton of content and unlockables. Overall it's more MK, and if you've ever enjoyed the series then there's no way this will disappoint.

Game 30: Final Fantasy Type-0 HD - 25:00 - COMPLETED
What a fantastic game! There are some similarities to past FF games, but in general it does a good job of carving out a unique space for it within the series. The game is split up into missions, and everytime you accept one you're given a chance to select your three main party members as well as whoever you want to bring as back up. There are twelve playable characters that you can bring along (including your main party). This is so if one of your characters dies in battle you can swap another character in. And even though there is technically a main character (Ace) you can choose any of the twelve characters to be your party leader and that'll be who you play as most of the time. From there you're off into an old-school FF-style overworld where you can travel by running, chocobo or by airship. It works just like you'd expect if you've played any game with an overworld like older FF games. There are random encounters on the overworld when you're on foot, but you can avoid them once you're on a chocobo. There are two types of combat. The first is the ARPG side of the game, which is the majority of the game. You have your standard attack, dodge and magic. Unlike the overworld, once you're in the main part of your mission all of the enemies are displayed on the map and combat is seamless. And you can switch to any of your three main party members at any time. The other type of combat is basically a simplified RTS game. You're occasionally tasked with missions that require you to take over other towns. To do this you need to direct armies to help take them over. You direct them by giving them orders at your main base and they simply attack the base until the defenses drop which then allow you to invade the town to take it over. You need to help them along the way since enemies are also flooding out of their base to attack you, your army and your base. The goal is to break down their defense so that you can invade the town to finally take it over. Invasions switch back to the ARPG gameplay. Another factor to gameplay is that in between missions you have a set number of days and hours before your next mission begins. Talking to people, doing side questions or leaving your main town all cause your time to tick down by some set amount. For example, talking to specific people (they're marked with exclamation marks) takes two hours while leaving your town takes six. It may sound annoying, but they always seem to give you enough time to do what you need to do. Once you're out of your town you can stay out for as long as you want since the time you have between each mission isn't real time. The story is quite dark for a FF game and in general the game is very violent at times. But we aren't talking about mass amounts of gore or anything like that. But there is quite a bit of blood. As I said at the start, I really loved the game. And it's definitely worth checking out if you want to see a fresh take on the series.

Original post

XlOSay3l.jpg

12. Kamui (PC)
Completed twice on Normal with continues. Highest score: 1,406,000.
The first part of the Siter Skain trilogy (at least in terms of release date) is six stages of bullet hell, made accessible by the unlimited continues. Surprisingly, this is one of the few shooters I've run into that allows for this, meaning I managed to scrape through Kamui in far less time than, say, Jamestown (which I still haven't finished).

Kamui has a bit more depth to it, though. The action takes place on multiple layers. Anything above you can't be hit at all, but this happens very rarely and only as a transition to one of the other layers. Anything on the same plane as you can be hit with your primary weapon, a dinky peashooter that's more necessary evil than actual offensive weapon, and your superweapon, a massive pillar of light that can even obliterate bullets but relies on a lightning meter that depletes quickly. Anything below you can only be hit by your secondary weapon, a homing lightning strike that uses the same meter as your super. Crucially for high-score chasers, lightning strikes are the only way to build your score multiplier, meaning it's to your advantage in multiple ways to hit enemies below you--not only do you get rid of most enemies before they pose a larger threat, you get more points as a result.

It's a neat little game and very easy to play over and over. You can see why the Alltynex trilogy is revered in some circles. It's all probably wasted on me, but I did enjoy my time with Kamui even if I'll never be good enough to come close to 1CC-ing it.

Labadal

Original Post

Game 16: Grand Theft Auto IV: Episodes From Liberty City - 10 Hours
PC

I had already beaten Ballad of Gay Tony last year, so I decided to finish The lost and Damned. It was fun doing the whole biker thing and bringing your crew along, but I think I prefer BoGT a little bit more because it was funnier.

Game 17: Ys: Memories of Celceta -30 Hours
PSV

I played the game on normal (although I did ceate a separate save file to take down the damn forest king). I don't think the game is as good as Origins, but I still had fun. There's a decent amount of skills and the characters aren't carbon copies of each other. The music is great and the graphics were decent. I didn't care much for the story but I did care for completing the map. I did that and got all memories. When it comes to search points, chests and the other stuff, I was at 90-98% done with most categories but I can't be bothered to go back for those trophies. Maybe if I ever do a NG+.

NHale

I'm in, late but in. Doubt I can do it but at least I'm going to try (not counting sports games). Have to try everything to push me to try to end my backlog.

Game 1: Valiant Hearts: The Great War - 05.01.2015
The 2nd best 2014 game I've played so far. A game made with an incredible respect and care to a historic event for mankind via a great story of 4 characters that touched on many known and unknown events of World War I.

Game 2: DuckTales Remastered - 23.01.2015
Never played it before and quite honestly to me it didn't live up to the classic fame it has.

Game 3: Jak 3 - 25.01.2015
Much better than Jak 2 but still inferior to Jak 1. The heavy reliance on cars/buggies annoyed me because how poorly they handle. Playing this games in 2015 make me pleased Naughty Dog never decided to make another Jak game.

Game 4: The Swapper - 27.01.2015
Great puzzles with some incredible mind bending twists due to the timing and thinking required to activate some platforms.

Game 5: The Walking Dead Season 1 + 400 Days - 30.01.2015
2nd playthrough for the main game that only managed to prove how shallow the decisions made every episode really are. 400 Days short stories worked much better due to the focus and no padding to character development.

Game 6: Kick and Fennick - 06.02.2015
Was expecting a very shallow game made for kids and got a game with some cleaver ideas and that could have been a good game if it wasn't for some poor design choices regarding inconsistencies in level design. Crazy difficulty spikes didn't help as well.

Game 7: The Raven - 07.02.2015
An average detective game that it's only salvation is how they decided to tell some parts of the story from different point of views.

Game 8: The Walking Dead Season 2 - 11.02.2015
First time playing it and it still suffers from the same problems that Season 1 had regarding lack of meaningful choices to story development. While it never reached the highest points of Season, it also never reached the terrible writing of Episode 4 of S1 as well. In the end I felt Season 2 told a more coherent story overall than Season 1 but with less interesting characters (with one remarkable exception).

Game 9: Transistor - 21.02.2015
Beat the game twice just to play around with more functions available on combat and it was the great combat system to me that made me loved the game unlike Bastion. One of the best games of 2014 because of the combat system even if some functions are truly OP and ruin the balance of the game if you chose to.

Game 10: The Order: 1886 - 22.02.2015
Short and sweet. While it felt like an introduction to the universe, the combat and weapons were really the highlight of the game for me which makes the decision of not having online multiplayer completely baffling to me.

Game 11: Singularity - 27.02.2015
Another short game that unfortunately was built with COD gameplay systems instead of something more slower like it should. Also limiting the TMD use is really strange since it's the main highlight of the game and it felt underused because of developer decisions.

Game 12: Cars 2 - 28.02.2015
Bought it for cheap and ended up surprised by the game. It doesn't try anything very different to other kart games but it does almost everything well. Great fun as a split screen multiplayer as well. Shame it doesn't have online multiplayer though.

Synth

Original Post

Super Mario 3D Land
20140301233601!Super-Mario-3D-Land-Logo.jpg

Criteria: Everyhing complete. All stars coins obtained etc.
Time played: 15 hours

I'm somewhat surprised by how flat this game felt. Everything about it simply felt like a montage of previous Mario moments, with almost nothing unique or interesting to set itself apart from previous (better) entries. The game offers very little challenge as a result of clever or interesting level design, and instead the few challenging moments it has are usually just due to the player's attempt to grab a star coin along the way, whilst artificial difficulty enhancements such as low time limits, or an evil Mario clone (that simply follows your previous motions Tails style) are thrown in to make the simple slightly more complex. The camera was surprisingly poor as well, which sometimes made jumps a lot more difficult to judge than they would have been in pretty much any other 3D Mario game.

I've heard that Mario 3D World is a significantly better game, despite sharing many core similarities to this game. I honestly hope that's how I feel about it when I get around to playing it, as right, I'm kinda feeling like some Mario games are being given a lot more credit than they're actually earning. Really quite unimpressed with this game as a whole.

daveo42

Banned
Game 6: Thomas Was Alone - 3h | Started: 3/7/15 - Completed: 3/7/15

Nice short puzzle game with enough to keep you interested while not overstaying its welcome. Most puzzles were easy and came down to timing jumps.

Initial Post Here

Original post

KUI7wdRl.jpg

13. The Order: 1886 (PS4)
Completed on Normal.
The Order is basically a somewhat competent third-person shooter dressed up in the finest livery. So let's start with its most obvious asset: the presentation. An over-reliance on greenish blacks aside, The Order looks really good. We're closer than ever to a video game that looks like a CG movie: not good enough to pass for real life, but good enough to convince you that it could if you squint a bit. Of course, this close to perfection, the flaws stand out more: character animations during gameplay are slightly clumsy and the occasional object or NPC disappearing as the action switches to a canned motion are standouts.

The actual shooting mechanics are solid for the most part, though considering its steampunk nods the game doesn't really let you experiment much with the more fantastical side of its arsenal. The rifles and pistols that serve as your mainstays work pretty much as you'd expect them to, though the rifles in particular can feel frustratingly inaccurate at times. Less likeable, though, is the occasional sense that the game's emphasis on smooth, cinematic action has slightly hampered the controls a bit. The cover system feels less than fully baked, with no ability to round corners effectively and small objects sometimes preventing you from leaning over or past a wall to aim.

Player movement can feel sluggish at times as well, which is especially unwelcome during heavy firefights that nearly always take place in confined spaces. And given that The Order's favourite pressure tactic is to throw in enemies that rush you with shotguns or bracket you with explosives, feeling like you have less than perfect control of your character makes certain encounters feel more punishing than they should be. There are too many times in The Order where I stopped having fun and had to grit my teeth to get through some awful section, whether that be a cellar room filled with thirty guards all shooting at me or a stealth sequence with no checkpoints.

The story is surprisingly not awful, but I felt like the narrative missed its mark somewhat. I can see what the writers were trying to do but it's not a particularly satisfying ending, neither in terms of plot nor character development. So much is left unresolved that the inevitable sequel would likely be devoted just to wrapping up The Order's many loose ends, rather than presenting new challenges. That said, I would at least be interested in seeing how those loose ends get tied up, which means the narrative isn't a complete failure.

Oreoleo

Full List
Impressions Part 2

1. Super Mario 3D World - 30+ Hours
Yeah, it *is* too easy until you get halfway through the game (or more), but the excellence in design can't be ignored. And when the challenge kicks in you end up with a legitimately great Mario game. As someone who "grew up" with Super Mario World instead of the SMB series I really loved all the throwbacks to that game (But where were the Reznors?!).

2. Mario Kart 8 - 25+ Hours
Was really, immediately impressed with the scale of the game. Even before the light turned green on my first race the game had won me. The sense of place and space in the world was something that had been lacking in recent MK games (not that I have played all of them) and 8 nails it. And of course the actually driving mechanics, physics, and level design are all Nintendo caliber. Multiplayer is great. DLC is great. It's great.

3. Hyrule Warriors - 22 Hours
Played this just enough to see the credits roll (basically). The game is pretty much exactly what I expected it to be, it just wore thin for me quicker than I thought it would. I know there's still an ocean of content there if I choose to go back, but for now, I'm good.

4. Bayonetta 2 - 17 Hours
Plays it a bit safer than Bayo1, especially with regards to the final boss, but I loved every minute I played of this. The style is still second to none.

5. Kairo - 3 Hours
Very interesting little puzzle/walkabout game. The game excels with its sparse, almost surreal design. Similar to Antichamber but without all the head fuckery.

6. Defense Grid 2 - 12 Hours
I can count the tower defense games I've *ever* played on one hand, and two of them are Defense Grid. I put 30 hours into the first game and still never managed to scrape the bottom of what it had to offer. I didn't get into the score attack aspect of the game at all. So I have no problem with the changes they made to scoring/resource management or streamlining some of the less useful towers. Putting a stream of aliens through "the gauntlet" as I called it was still as fun as ever.

7. Hotline Miami 2 - 21 Hours
Superior to the original in every way. I adore games that let you quickly restart after failing and this is no exception. Just a really great experience all around.

8. Stanley Parable - 1.5 Hours
I'd already played the mod, and the demo, so by the time I got to this it felt a little been there, done that. But I would still recommend it to anyone that doesn't know what to expect out of it yet.

9. Divinity: Original Sin - 140+ Hours (Yes, really)
I'm not sure why this seemingly took me twice as long as anyone else to beat, I guess it's because I'm mostly new to the genre. Anyway I'm really pleased with myself that I was able to see it through to the end, and that the game (mostly) managed to keep surprising me through the entire duration. And the final boss was *just* the right amount of hard to not be completely frustrating but also hard enough to give a really great sense of satisfaction when you defeat it and realize your journey has finally come to an end.

10. Super Smash Bros. WiiU - 30+ Hours
Yup, it's SSB. Melee will always be my favorite in my heart but I was really happy with what the developers put together here. Still, after the 4th iteration, it just sorta feels like another Smash Bros game and didn't keep my attention as long as I'd hoped. Beats the pants of Brawl at least and I'll actually return to it from time to time unlike that turd of a game.

11. Half-Life 2: Lost Coast - 30 Minutes
A bit of a cheat game, but I was feeling sort of burnt out with gaming in general after the gauntlet that was Divinity:OS, and this was the short and sweet adrenaline shot I needed. Not sure if it's just not *quite* as polished as the rest of the HL2 series or if the gameplay is truly starting to show it's age but I could see the forest for the trees, and not in a good way. Still a well done gameplay showcase however.

12. Half-Life: Opposing Force - 4 Hours
So I ended up going backwards to the (superior) HL1 gameplay. Didn't really want something as long as HL1 proper especially since I just played Black Mesa last year or so, and according to Steam I hadn't played this since they started tracking play time, which was 6 years ago if I remember correctly, so I figured I was about due. Holds up really well for the most part, and even though it's not canon I appreciated how Gearbox expanded on the different types of aliens that came through the portal after the resonance cascade. They also, thankfully, kept your time in Xen to an absolute minimum. The only thing missing was human vs human combat, but in the context of the story it makes sense. It was also interesting seeing a very basic Team Fortress motif present; along the way you'll come across other mercs you have to enlist to help you progress, like an engineer to fix a broken door keypad or a medic to revive a fallen soldier who will help you proceed. Pretty neat stuff considering the time period the game was made.

13. Grand Theft Auto V - 88+ Hours
Beat the campaign around 45 hours and the rest has been spent chasing 100% or goofing off online. Not quite sure how much longevity the game would have if I didn't have half a dozen friends to play with, but luckily I do, and heists and jobs and races and deathmatch etc etc is just *a lot* of fun.

14. Raincat - 30 Minutes
Cute little flash game in the style of Lemmings. Keep the cat from getting wet while navigating hazards and reaching the end of the level. A nice distraction.

15. Agar.io - 3 Hours
A web game that, surprisingly enough to me, has real time multiplayer. Can we just stop and recognize how awesome technology is that we can play a somewhat twitch-based game with 20 some odd other people IN OUR BROWSER? And not like Quake Live that requires a bundle of plugins to function correctly, but something that just loads and goes instantly. Really impressive to me. And it doesn't hurt that the gameplay is really addictive too.

16. South Park: The Stick of Truth - 13 Hours
As a South Park fan I pretty much loved this. The writing was top notch with plenty of in-jokes for the fans, and the RPG mechanics never got in the way of the game. I liked the character customization, especially in regards to the stamps or whatever that augmented your equipment and gave different passive abilities in combat. I would have preferred a little more depth in the combat, especially in regards to using fire/electric/gross out abilities as it seemed they could be completely ignored with little repercussion. Though previous games certainly set the bar low, this is easily the best South Park game and I'll happily play the sequel, as long as Ubisoft doesn't shit it up too much like they tend to do with their other franchises.

17. Wolfenstein: The New Order - 12 Hours
I haven't played any other Wolfenstein games so I don't know how this compares to those, but this game seemed to channel the spirit of old school FPS games rather well. Simple fast and fluid fun. Over the course of the game I found myself comparing it favorably to some of my favorite shooters: Metro, Dead Space, FEAR, Hard Reset.. They really nailed the basic mechanics of movement and aiming that just made the game FUN. Challenging without being uneven or unfairly difficult. Having to scavenge for health and armor breaks the game up nicely and brings a lot of tension that other shooters with regen health simply lack. That said, I feel like there could have been more/better set pieces or a wider variety of enemies and bosses because, although I beat it only a month ago, I'm struggling to remember large swaths of the game. More FPS games like this, please.

18. FRACT OSC - 9.5 Hours
I'm really at a loss for how to describe this game. Part walkabout, part puzzle game, part digital audio workstation. It was certainly a unique experience but I'm not sure it came together as a whole particularly well. I would have preferred a *little* more direction or guidance (I don't think there's a single word, text or otherwise, in the entire game), and some of the puzzles were a little obtuse, particularly the last puzzle which seemed to rely on either twiddling knobs randomly until a bar started increasing or retreading the entire game to physically write down the solutions to all the previous puzzles to enter the settings into the final DAW. I ended up turning to Youtube for the solution rather than going through that hassle of backtracking the entire game and made the whole finale rather underwhelming.

19. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - 9.5 Hours
This was a lot of fun. I enjoyed the challenge over other Nintendo platformers though there was one stage I felt was a little unfairly difficult. I didn't attempt to unlock or beat the bonus levels so maybe I'd feel differently if I had. I loved how the game used the Z-axis to go 'deeper' into some levels, it made it feel like I was in a real place rather than just playing a level on a flat plane on a video game. The sense of movement from DK was really excellent and gave a great sense of bounding through a jungle and at times was impressed to see how the levels were designed to encourage speeding through it if you knew the layout well enough, not unlike the better designed Sonic games. Two things that disappointed me though were the lack of animal buddies (No Enguarde is criminal) and the lack of variety in level settings. In the 6 or so worlds of the game, 5 are tropical themed and 1 was snow/ice themed which lead to a lot of the game feeling very samey, visually. A real missed opportunity there in my opinion as throwing in even a few more underwater levels or even one volcano level would have been a welcome change of pace, but overall I enjoyed my time with the game.

20. Shelter - 1.5 Hours
A unique game in which you play as a mother badger protecting her young cubs from the dangers of the world. As you progress through the game, various predators or obstacles can kill your cubs if you aren't careful enough and just like the real world, there's no getting them back. Mechanically and graphically simple (yet effective), the games focus is primarily evoking emotions and reactions from you based on the themes of loss and sacrifice (games as an art form, eat your heart out!). I admit at the games' end I couldn't help but reflect on the ways my own mother has sacrificed for my own well being and in that regard the game was a success. But it was a very sombre experience and certainly not for everyone.

21. Polarity - 1.5 Hours
A simple Portal-like. Beat everything in one sitting and while the puzzles weren't as clever as Portal's, they were never trivial to the point of banality. Considering it was NINETEEN UNITED STATES CENTS, I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the game.

22. Pixeljunk Shooter - 5 Hours
I adored the aesthetic and gameplay of Pixeljunk Eden, though it sort of overstayed it's welcome, so I was more than happy to give this a shot. The gameplay here was every bit as solid, and certainly more fun and straightforward compared to Eden's more challenging and free-flowing design. The aesthetic was more perfunctory and in service to the mechanics of the game, though it certainly didn't take away from the experience. While individual levels seemed overly long clocking in at 15-25 minutes, the game as a whole seemed rather short and by the end I was yearning for more content. Hopefully the sequel sees the light of day on PC.

23. Chain Chronicle - 20+ Hours
With no game timer, it's hard to say how many hours I've actually put into this. It's likely it might be double, or triple what I've listed. Maybe even more than that. The game is a bit of a tower-defense, Plants vs Zombies deal, but with moveable units. And being 'gacha' focused there is a bit of a Pokemon 'gotta catch em all' slant as well. For being an Android/iOS f2p game, it's rather impressive how easy it is to avoid spending even a single dollar on in-app purchases. With unique events and new content releasing at an almost weekly rate there is plenty to keep busy with. Though I've beaten the main story quest I'm still plugging away at this on a daily basis.

24. The Evil Within - 18 Hours
What a fucking disaster this game is. Back in September/October, before this and Alien Isolation came out I thought for sure this would be GOTY status and Alien was gonna be a hot mess. Boy, how wrong I was (Seriously, go play Alien Isolation that game is flippin amazing). I can admit I'm being a little harsh but from a gameplay perspective this is little more than a Resident Evil 4 retread with obvious Silent Hill aesthetic and story/creature inspirations. After getting through 4 chapters or so I sidelined this for 7 or 8 months because the beginning of the game has no redeeming qualities. I forced myself back to it and luckily the back 2/3 of the game evened out considerably and at times was even enjoyable. But the game never strives to be any more than an imitation and amalgamation of games already released and never brings anything new to the table or does anything particularly well. If it weren't for the text file I'm keeping for the purposes of this thread, I would be under the impression I still needed to beat it (Honestly, I opened the file to reference for this post and was *SHOCKED* to see TEW listed as beaten- and it was only 2 or 3 weeks ago). Also, I have no idea what the fuck was happening ever in the entire game.

25. Grow Home - 6.5 Hours
Certainly not the most innovative game or grandest in scope, but everything that's present here is perfectly executed. To me, this is a perfect game. Explore an island, grab some plants and ride them into the sky, discover new flora and fauna. It's simple but everything is fun and nothing is extraneous. I 100% completed the game in two sittings and recommend it to everyone.

26. Tropico 4 - 40 Hours
Finally I've found the game that let me break into the city building genre! I adored the Tropico 1 demo back in 1999 ("El Presidente your people are starving!" but that never really translated into being good at the game. After something like two hours of tutorials I was ready to hit the ground running. I beat all 20 missions of the main campaign, and yes by the end it was a little repetitive but maintaining the balance of keeping your revenue in the black and keeping all the factions pleased while trying to grow your island be it through export or tourism was always entertaining, especially with the curve balls the missions would throw at you with regularity. From what I've read online, popular opinion seems to suggest this is the best Tropico which seems to line up with my experience of finally breaking through with this one in spite of owning Tropico 1-3 and never quite getting it. In time I'll probably come back and do the Modern Times campaign but after putting 40 hours into the game in two weeks, for now I've had my fill.

27. Corporate Lifestyle Simulator - 1.6 Hours
A nice little diversion that plays like a mashup of Hotline Miami and Zombies Ate My Neighbors. The first half is a bit too easy but the back half of the game provides some decent challenge without being frustrating making it the perfect game to kick back and have some fun with. The creators seem to be fully aware of this too as the writing is very tongue-in-cheek and in on the joke that it's a video game lambasting the soul sucking nature of corporate life.

28. Nidhogg - 1.5 Hours
I guess I expected a little more meat out of this. The single player campaign is easily beaten in 30 minutes or so with multiplayer left to pick up the slack. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing as I did have a good time playing a round robin with some friends over Mumble, but ultimately I'm sort of disappointed with how much the game rewards avoiding engagements entirely and just running to the next screen to reach the end of the level. Mechanically however, there's a lot to like and I was impressed with the easy to learn, difficult to master nature of the game.

29. Binding of Isaac Rebirth - 7.5 Hours
What an utter blessing it is to finally be able to play Binding of Isaac with a controller. As someone who uses custom keybinds in every PC game and gets hand cramps with standard WASD, I had a love/hate relationship with the original and it's lack of custom configs. So everything here is pretty much improved upon over the original, though is it just me or is it a bit easier to get to the end now? In the original I probably spent 8-10 hours just trying to reach Mom alone. Here I managed it in an hour and a half, and subsequently reached Mom's Heart on the very next run. There's still plenty of content to chew through with the Challenge runs which I'm enjoying a lot (finished 4 or so of those already) not to mention reaching the "real" end game with Satan and all that, so I'm far from done with the game but for the purposes of this thread, I've 'finished' it.

30. Dragon Ball Z Dokkan Battle - 10+ Hours
My second foray into this 'gacha' mobile game craze. At least this time I give a hoot about the characters and story. I like how the game encourages the use of different teams due to type strengths and weaknesses compared to other games where it's more like, "get the 5 best characters and use them all the time forever" so even though there isn't a "Pokedex" of sorts to keep track of which characters you've collected there's still incentive to expand and improve your party. And the generous stamina regen rate plus generally low stamina requirements for quests means I'm not worrying about maximizing my stamina usage and playing the minute it's filled up again, instead I'm free to play the game as I please without feeling like a slave to the game's systems like I did in Chain Chronicle. I've beaten the campaign on normal difficulty already, chipping away at it on hard, and I'm eager for more.

Ted

9/52... Original post.

Game #8: Hitman: Absolution - IO Interactive/Square Enix
Format: PS3
Completion State: Completed on expert and 100% trophy completion.
Completion Date: 25/Feb/2015

Let's get this out of the way right at the start, Hitman: Absolution is not a Hitman game in the same vein as those that prelude it, that does not however make it an inherently bad game.

In fact, if it weren't branded as a Hitman game it would be easy to consider it a really rather good game. It looks nice, the controls are great and where the levels open up it really is great. It IS annoying though that you are more often stuck on a far more linear path than you would usually expect when playing as Agent 47. To be fair though, even these linear section allow for a variety of styles of play and the slightly odd instinct system isn't as brolen as is often cited. Even though you can't get a silent assasin rating for every level, in almost all cases you CAN get through them all without killing any non target NPC.

Contracts mode is an interesting and enjoyable addition as well and I hope, whilst drawing more from Blood Money for the single player, the next iteration also strives to extend the depth of Contracts mode for both creators and players.

Game #9: Infamous First Light - Sucker Punch Productions/Sony
Format: PS4
Completion State: Story and side missions complete. A bit of the survival/rescure arena mode played.
Completion Date: 07/Mar/2015

A fun little game. I have never played much of an infamous game as though I have always enjoyed the controls and traversal mechanisms, the world has just never grabbed me. The same is broadly true here. Fetch is enjoyable to play, the neon powers and traversal are great, the story is OK for what it is, the side activities are fun...but the city is just a little dull. Perhaps this is better with the larger area availabe in the main game but I have not tried it to tell.

The arena modes are also surprisingly fun for me. Survival/horde type modes tend to be pretty hit and miss for my tastes but here in this game it is definitely more hit than it is miss. That said, I'd enjoy it more with a co-op buddy as after a few times solo it can quickly begin to feel repetitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom