• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Community Thread: Thrills! Chills! Kills! Despair!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Monokuma would easily have a ton of moves references all the different executions. HIS MOVESET ITSELF WOULD BE CONSIDERED SPOILERS.

FluxWaveZ

Monokuma would easily have a ton of moves references all the different executions. HIS MOVESET ITSELF WOULD BE CONSIDERED SPOILERS.

Much like Persona 4 Arena Ultimax to Persona 3 and Persona 4, I think spoilers for previous games in the series would have to be completely unrestricted even in terms of the playable roster.

I'm pretty fond of my
Junko and Monokuma puppet character idea
in a fighting game. I'd main that immediately.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
The Q&A wasn't all that interesting, nothing really stood out too much. Just normal how do you create the characters questions.

EDIT: If they made a DR fighting game I'd main Akane easily.

wc03hfy.png

If going by the
survivors
from both games.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I was thinking of P4A's spoilers to P4 as well, especially considering the DLC for Ultimax.

Wouldn't be surprised if half the cast were support characters. Though Mikan could take the Phoenix Wright from UMvC3 route and use her clumsiness as "fighting".

Recent Kotaku Q&A with Kodaka Kazutaka. Big spoilers for DR1 and DR2 in there.

That last question. It would have been great if he just answered "yeah."

Some of those questions were already known, but this caught my attention:

Schreier: In Danganronpa, we're told that Monokuma was controlled by Junko, but the end strongly suggests that he can think and act for himself. In the second game, all we see is the virtual reality, so Monokuma could just be part of the virus. In the real world, does Monokuma have independent thought? Is he an AI?

Kazutaka: The truth of the matter is that by the end of the first game, it's essentially Junko's virus that's controlling Monokuma. And then also in 2, it's the same thing. It's the virus taking control and making Monokuma move and work.

Changes a bit of what I'm expecting in Ultra Despair Girls. Specifically (AE speculation)
that it's more possible for Junko to be in the story somehow, because now in between 1 & 2 she was probably able to move about the real world as a Monokuma. Not that I didn't expect her virus to be addressed or that she wouldn't have had a huge influence on the world/story, but now she's maybe more personally involved in and influencing the story again.

There is still a lot of assumptions that it was necessarily these 16 who did these actions. Like said, fake Makoto listed them off. While they probably happened to some extent to get real Makoto to not dismiss it (Nagito's arm would probably be enough for this), there's no guarentee that those 16 were the only followers of Junko who would do something like that.
Yeah, I thought exactly the same. I wasn't even sure if all that happened to them, there were other members.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
According to Kazutaka Kodaka's GDC conference, Sayaka from DR1 was created as his "ideal girl".

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I didn't. I just knew Leon & Sayaka were the first characters to be designed. & (DR1 spoilers)
they were the first to be killed off because the team was tired of having to look at their designs so much for references & such.

Here's a live tweet of it.

Danganronpa 1 spoilers, so no crying back to me about being spoiled who's the first murderer is.
He actually just tweeted a slide that spoils a few more deaths in the first game. So if anyone here who hasn't finished DR1 yet (I'm guessing not many, but still), you have been warned.

I'm sure he won't, but I seriously hope he doesn't accidentally spoil anything from Another Episode while giving his presentation, knowing the US hasn't gotten it yet.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Awww, no 3D executions on the 3DS....

All seriousness, I don't mind, I just hope the Vita will last that long for them to release it on the system.

Was this known? Kodaka says DR has sold 100k+ in the US. Doesn't specify if that's across both games or not.

I didn't know that, but that's great to hear! Even if it's both combined, it's great to hear the series has been a success overall. Kinda makes sense why SCEA has been tweeting about Danganronpa more, and was excited to announce the Ultra Despair Girls localization announcement on twitter.

Was this known? Kodaka says DR has sold 100k+ in the US. Doesn't specify if that's across both games or not.

Even if it's combined, that's excellent for a niche game like Danganronpa! Does anyone know how much did NISA expect the series to make?

Also, the Kotaku interview was pretty normal, except for that nugget about the end of the first game.
I would love for the Reload artbook to be localized, it is chock-full of info about everything in DR1 and DR2.

FluxWaveZ

I cannot imagine that would be a single game. If but one of them made 100k+ in the U.S., that would be insane.

100k for both games would still be pretty good. It's nice that it has seen a relative amount of success with the western audience, and we probably won't have to worry about seeing future titles in the series localized as a result.

FluxWaveZ

What kind of numbers did they do in Japan on PSP/Vita?

[PSV] Danganronpa: Another Episode (Spike Chunsoft) {2014-09-25} - 63,898 / 95,901
[PSV] Danganronpa: Another Episode [PlayStation Store] {DL} (Spike Chunsoft) {2014-09-25} - 5,206 / 8,134
[PSV] DanganRonpa 1-2 Reload (Spike Chunsoft) {2013-10-10} - 70,803 / 110,038
[PSP] Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc [PSP the Best] (Spike) {2011-11-23} - 13,015 / 132,660
[PSV] DanganRonpa 1-2 Reload [PlayStation Store] {DL} (Spike Chunsoft) {2013-10-10} - - / 5,697
[PSP] Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair (Spike Chunsoft) {2012-07-26} - 59,112 / 101,149
[PSP] Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (Spike) {2010-11-25} - 34,583 / 81,221

Hey Danganronpa community! I avoided this thread until I beat DR2 yesterday morning. Gonna have to gather my thoughts as best as I can and post them later to see how many of you feel similarly.

Either way, happy to finally get in here and talk about this series.

Of course 100k each would be incredible, but even if it's a combined total that's still pretty amazing for a niche Vita game in the west. I'm really glad it's found an audience here.

Hey Danganronpa community! I avoided this thread until I beat DR2 yesterday morning. Gonna have to gather my thoughts as best as I can and post them later to see how many of you feel similarly.

Either way, happy to finally get in here and talk about this series.
Welcome to despair. Pretty much the only safe place to talk about DR without having to constantly worry about being spoiler bombed. :)

SerTapTap

According to Kazutaka Kodaka's GDC conference, Sayaka from DR1 was created as his "ideal girl".

Kind of obvious considering the whole
forced lovey dovey thing. In retrospect, what that was leading to should have been obvious.

Awww, no 3D executions on the 3DS....

All seriousness, I don't mind, I just hope the Vita will last that long for them to release it on the system.

I think people exaggerate how much incentive Sony has to kill the Vita. Lots of Japanese and indie devs work on it with almost no involvement from Sony and it's a remoteplay device for PS4. It doesn't require constant upkeeping on their part to stay relevant. I'm sure it'll last through the PS4 gen

Don't think this UsGamer interview with Kazutaka Kodaka has been posted yet. Some pretty interesting stuff in here I hadn't heard before.

The statement about Danganronpa being its own genre is pretty similar to how I've felt about the series. It's a good ways removed from anything else on the market (the closest comparison, as stated in the article, is Phoenix Wright, in the way it ties together elements of adventure games and visual novels), so making point-for-point comparisons between it and other games doesn't seem to accomplish a whole lot in judging its value. It's really more of a sum of its parts, so even if it doesn't do one thing or another quite as well as another game, it's still a wholly unique series.

Acid08

Banned
Figured I'd post this here too, got the Junko prize figure:

She looks great! Will, hopefully, soon have Chiaki too for my Kyoko-Junko-Chiaki display. I want to get Makoto and Hajime too at some point. Don't see them pop up very often though.

SerTapTap

Probably not worth spoilering, but DR2:
Am I the only one who thought Chiaki's boobs were uneven (it happens) after the swimsuit thing? I think it might just be an art mistake though, I haven't noticed it elsewhere

How'd you get this?

The Chiaki statue I saw on AmiAmi was truly excellent though.

The one with the monobear base? I saw it on JP amazon and it's listed as preorder only...isn't it out? It had international shipping...but not for preorders. Was cheaper than I can get it in the US, too. For ~$100 I wanted it but for nearly $200 on US amazon I gotta pass.

Acid08

Banned
The one with the monobear base? I saw it on JP amazon and it's listed as preorder only...isn't it out? It had international shipping...but not for preorders. Was cheaper than I can get it in the US, too.

Nah, its been delayed three months. Supposed to be coming out this month, but who knows. The same company made the amazing Kirigiri figure but I think that ended up being delayed six months before coming out.

SerTapTap

Nah, its been delayed three months. Supposed to be coming out this month, but who knows. The same company made the amazing Kirigiri figure but I think that ended up being delayed six months before coming out.

Oh, US amazon acts like it's in stock. Maybe I can get one for a reasonable price then.

Acid08

Banned
Yep, unless this isn't the fig. Glad I wasn't buy-happy then. I'm always a bit iffy buying expensive ones from Amazon unless there's reviews and it's the cheapest price.

The prices listed there for her are absolutely insane, she goes for about 10k yen(about $80) from the major Japanese retailers. I'd stalk places like AmiAmi, Hobby Link Japan, and Hobby Search to see if you can get her. Even with international shipping costs she'll be far cheaper than those options.

SerTapTap

The prices listed there for her are absolutely insane, she goes for about 10k yen(about $80) from the major Japanese retailers. I'd stalk places like AmiAmi, Hobby Link Japan, and Hobby Search to see if you can get her. Even with international shipping costs she'll be far cheaper than those options.

Yeah, it's a nice fig but it looked more like a $100 fig than a $200 one. Also lol @ $25 shipping. I love amazon but I hate third parties sometimes. I saw someone hocking a Metal Gear Ray statue for $150 ($300 below list)...but with $300 shipping.

Acid08

Banned
Yeah, it's a nice fig but it looked more like a $100 fig than a $200 one. Also lol @ $25 shipping. I love amazon but I hate third parties sometimes. I saw someone hocking a Metal Gear Ray statue for $150 ($300 below list)...but with $300 shipping.

Amazon is typically an awful place for buying Japanese figures. I'd only do it if Amazon is selling them themselves, sometimes they get stuff through US distributors. If you want this stuff it's worth it to just use Japanese hobby sites since you're guaranteed a better price.

SerTapTap

Amazon is typically an awful place for buying Japanese figures. I'd only do it if Amazon is selling them themselves, sometimes they get stuff through US distributors. If you want this stuff it's worth it to just use Japanese hobby sites since you're guaranteed a better price.

Yeah, amazon's my preferred retailer, but rarer games and even slightly uncommon figures can be iffy. I always shop around a bit. Sometimes they come out the best--usually fulfilled with Prime if so. They were (barely) the best price I could get for Isabelle's Nendoroid and the only place I found one set of Super Sonico figures (probably because they were terribly named)

Don't think this UsGamer interview with Kazutaka Kodaka has been posted yet. Some pretty interesting stuff in here I hadn't heard before.

A much more illuminating affair compared to the Kotaku one, the tidbit about the small niche of horror in Japan is well known. It doesn't surprise me it had its effects in the initial development of the series.

But the one bit that caught my eye was that one at the end about branching paths that are still related to the main story. It seems like a way for even more character growth aside from the main trios (if the pattern from the last two games keeps going) and to implement DLC, as the extra chapters from Corpse Party, but even more developed.

Cha

Figured I'd post this here too, got the Junko prize figure:

She looks great! Will, hopefully, soon have Chiaki too for my Kyoko-Junko-Chiaki display. I want to get Makoto and Hajime too at some point. Don't see them pop up very often though.

And now I'm on the verge of buying this figurine too (just deciding whether to go for the Queen Junko ver. or your version). I like queen Junko's expression better, but I prefer no crown. It's a tough choice. Definitely picking up Sakura with it though :)
Sakura_1.jpeg

Sakura would probably be my main if we get a Dangranronpa fighting game. Peko looks like she has some hidden potential too. It would be interesting to see what fighting styles all of the non-sporty ultimates would use in such a game. The idea has so much potential.

Top Bottom