• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Community Thread: Thrills! Chills! Kills! Despair!

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Eh. When did Hiro cheat his friends? The only thing I can remember is when he straight up asks you to give him your organs but then again when you refuse. It's not like he kills you or anything.

Speaking of other characters I disliked/found boring. Sonia is up there.
She was bland, I think she was supposed to be the Hiro of Danganronpa 2 but she just wasn't as funny. :(

Yeah I think you're right about that idea. Honestly,
I thought she would end up having some super dark side and being a killer. I was actually shocked when she wasn't! I saw a very avatars here of her on GAF when the game came out here, and thought she was DR2's killer that was spoilered. I mean, I wondered why else a bunch of people would have her avatar? Found out, she has a bit of a following!
I personally didn't care for her, either...

Yeah I think you're right about that idea. Honestly,
I thought she would end up having some super dark side and being a killer. I was actually shocked when she wasn't! I saw a very avatars here of her on GAF when the game came out here, and thought she was DR2's killer that was spoilered. I mean, I wondered why else a bunch of people would have her avatar? Found out, she has a bit of a following!
I personally didn't care for her, either...

This is gonna sound weird if I'm wrong, but is
her secret that she's hypersexual? There's at least three parts of the game that feel like they directly imply that.
Maybe that has something to do with the popularity, I have no idea.
I thought she was kinda funny in the back half of the game when she starts swearing and using forced slang, but I don't think she was anything special beyond that.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
She was bland, I think she was supposed to be the Hiro of Danganronpa 2 but she just wasn't as funny. :(
She is boring I've said this before on here but she's not really bad, she just acts like a stereotypical gaijin character.

SerTapTap

Eh. When did Hiro cheat his friends? The only thing I can remember is when he straight up asks you to give him your organs but then again when you refuse. It's not like he kills you or anything.

He
reads Makoto's future non-consentually twice at a cost of like $900 each time, then he cheated that rich kid and kept buying OOPArts instead of paying off his debt
. That's...pretty bad

her secret that she's hypersexual? There's at least three parts of the game that feel like they directly imply that.
I thought she was kinda funny in the back half of the game when she starts swearing and using forced slang, but I don't think she was anything special beyond that.

It's never really confirmed. There's some tiny weird hints but I don't think it's a safe assumption or anything. Unless it's revealed in that stupid trip ticket crap because I refuse to do that.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

Not sure if I would say that...
but there were definitely hints that she was at least curious about kinky stuff. Not sure if I would go as far to say "hypersexualized". I think it was just something to toss out and make her unique, rather than a pretty princess.

I wouldn't call her honest. She's clearly manipulative and it's called out several times at the start. She still uses her (questionably) good looks to manipulate people, she just gets away with it somehow. Speaking of, I wanted to barf on my Vita when Hajime did the whole "am I even worthy of spending time with Sonia" thing. Gross.

Yeah, maybe honest isn't the right word. What I mean is that is pretty clear she is a bad person and would try to fool you, but you aren't a friend of hers.

If you complete his report card,
in the end of it he'll be a complete ass to Makoto, who was the only guy who cared enough about him.

Sonia?
I don't think so. It is implied that she isn't virgin, but hypersexual is a stretch. She might have a fetish for criminals, but that also doesn't make her hypersexualized. But I'm assuming we are talking about Sonia pre-Ultimate despair. After joining Junko she must have done all kind of stuff.

SerTapTap

Not sure if I would say that...
but there were definitely hints that she was at least curious about kinky stuff. Not sure if I would go as far to say "hypersexualized". I think it was just something to toss out and make her unique, rather than a pretty princess.

Ironically enough, "not just a tropey princess" is also a trope.
Everything is a trope, given enough time

PK Gaming

He does it when you "date"/whatever her. It's kind of insufferable. He acts like Hiyoko's dog, too. I consider it non-cannon because Hajime is pretty cool otherwise

No, it's pretty much canon.

Hinata has low self-esteem... that's like the entire undercurrent of his character. He's quick to shirk off praise, and doesn't really see himself as anyone special. It's pervasive throughout every free time event. Anyway, I think you're reading to much into one line, considering he's pretty psyched over the prospect of actually getting married to Sonia in her Free Time event.

That said, he still doesn't take shit from anyone. I haven't checked out Hiyoko's free time event in a while, but I don't remember him being a dog.

SerTapTap

No, it's pretty much canon.

Hinata has low self-esteem... that's like the entire undercurrent of his character. He's quick to shirk off praise, and doesn't really see himself as anyone special. It's pervasive throughout every free time event. Anyway, I think you're reading to much into one line, considering he's pretty psyched over the prospect of actually getting married to Sonia in her Free Time event.

That said, he still doesn't take shit from anyone. I haven't checked out Hiyoko's free time event in a while, but I don't remember him being a dog.

Yeah, but
non-confident Hajime basically dies in the last class trial when his irises change. I like to think the dork afraid of Sonia's "presence" died there too

PK Gaming

Yeah, but
non-confident Hajime basically dies in the last class trial when his irises change. I like to think the dork afraid of Sonia's "presence" died there too

Well I still wouldn't say he's afraid of her presence, considering he was actually pretty gung-ho about spending time with her (and even marrying at one point), but leaving that aside...

The free time events happen *before* his transformation. So what's the problem?

Reset

If you complete his report card,
in the end of it he'll be a complete ass to Makoto, who was the only guy who cared enough about him.
I always considered his free time's ending to be happening before the third chapter. Similar to how
Junko's free time ending happens before case 1
. So I figured he ends up changing his mind, and considers the group his friends after chapter 4.

He
reads Makoto's future non-consentually twice at a cost of like $900 each time, then he cheated that rich kid and kept buying OOPArts instead of paying off his debt
. That's...pretty bad

I thought the
reading fortune was just a joke lol and that he wasn't being serious. Also wasn't that rich kid connected to the mafia? Can't say I felt bad about that. ._.

Yeah, but

It's likely all of the free time events happen before the ending of the story. They're all canon and contain canon info, but they can't all be squeezed in between story events. I actually thought Hajime's reactions were all very fitting considering his character and confidence level up until the very end.

Also, I never considered him Hiyoko's dog. He was just trying to pacify her and make his shared time somewhat enjoyable. He stood up to her a few times as I recall and he pointed out her maniplulative nature, but he had sympathy for her because she was kind of... pathetic with a sad story. But I haven't played the game since September, so maybe I'm forgetting something huge.

As for Hiro
he's basically a con artist. A really dumb con artist, but a con artist all the same. I don't think he's supposed to be that likable, but I think he actually does try to be helpful and supportive for his friends when it counts.

I always considered his free time's ending to be happening before the third chapter. Similar to how
Junko's free time ending happens before case 1
. So I figured he ends up changing his mind, and considers the group his friends after chapter 4.
Yes, I thought he was gonna apologize after cheating Makoto to get money redeeming himself in the end, like most of the characters but he basically says (in a desperate and comical way) "it's your problem, now! Leave me alone! Aaaah" He was too childish, unable to recognize he was being an horrible friend.

FluxWaveZ

Just got around to reading the USgamer interview. Some of my thoughts:
When you look at Phoenix Wright and Danganronpa, you actually see gameplay elements, and that's what made these games catch on.
I love that he addressed this distinction. This is really what sets the games apart from standard VNs, and part of what makes them so compelling to me. That said...
Actually, when we were developing the game, when we started to incorporate the interactive elements, many times, the staff would say, "Do we really need this? Why don't we just tell the story as it is?" But I knew, if we did this, it wouldn't be viable on the market. In spite of contrary opinions, we pushed it through.
From a creative standpoint, the staff questioning some of the gameplay elements were correct in doing so for creative reasons. I get that a lack of those might have diminished the game's sales, but they were practically implemented like an afterthought, and now it's apparent why. The gameplay elements cannot be so poor in Danganronpa 3. It'd be alright to focus on just a few with good execution, than a bunch of subpar mini-games like we've had until now.
if you look at the split between interactive elements and text [in Danganronpa: Another Episode], it's about the same [as the main series].
This was kind of surprising. I'd heard that fans of DR stories would be into DR:AE, but I wasn't aware the ratio between interactivity and text was going to be the same in that game compared to other DR games. I'm kind of doubting it, but we'll see.
It may be different in America, but the market for horror is extremely narrow in Japan. When we started working on the game, we figured it might be too horrific, too gruesome, and it would really limit our audience. In order to make it appealing to more people, we decided to add what I call "pop" elements. To make it a little more palatable for more people — that's why we moved away from the first version of Danganronpa.
This is a shame. It didn't seem like they necessarily wanted to move away from the initial vision, but market realities forced them to. That said, looking at that horrifying human Monokuma concept and others, I kind of like that they went with "psychopop" for the game's aesthetic instead. It gives the series a distinct flair. Same reason behind the pink blood, it seems.

There's a lot of text, but there's really no comparison between the ratio in AE and in the main DR games. AE is still primarily an action game, and DR1 and 2 are still primarily visual novels. I'm confused as to how he's making the distinction between text and interactive elements and coming to this conclusion.

theecakee

I'd really like DR3 to have multiple endings with multiple ways the deaths play out and such. Though, I guess that would mean less voice acting with the trials but I'm okay with that.

Might be my favourite case in the whole series. Even though guessing the basic idea of the situation was easy, the story reasoning behind it all is insanely clever.
Dude became an AMAZING antagonist.
That dude was insane from beginning to end, but he was still great to play off of though.

http://nichegamer.com/2015/03/danganronpa-interview-with-writer-and-creator-kazutaka-kodaka/

There's a nice interview in here. Beware of spoilers of course. Especially 2.

Really liked this interview. The bits about the truth bullets origins, game endings, and his favorite murder were all interesting. His life expectancy for the series kinda sucks, although despite being a huge fan I like the fact that he's determined to not let the series wear out its welcome and become tired. Hopefully we can get a few more games though. :p I guess he kinda doesn't like Biohazard though, huh?

Monomi being his least favorite character was not a surprise in the slightest, lol.

There's a lot of text, but there's really no comparison between the ratio in AE and in the main DR games. AE is still primarily an action game, and DR1 and 2 are still primarily visual novels. I'm confused as to how he's making the distinction between text and interactive elements and coming to this conclusion.

In almost every interview he's given at GDC he's always discussing the fan's hesitance of jumping onto AE and how they are/were scared it wouldn't have the same feeling and story of a traditional DR game. My guess is he's slightly embellishing to reassure people.

What I've gleaned from non-spoiler impressions is that there naturally isn't as much story, but there is a lot for that game and that it fits in nicely with the overarching DR story.

I'd really like DR3 to have multiple endings with multiple ways the deaths play out and such. Though, I guess that would mean less voice acting with the trials but I'm okay with that.

I see people say this every now and then, but I think DR works so well because they do have definite story directions and a beginning and middle that help build up to the end. I'm not sure the story would be as effective if there were branching paths.

LX_Theo

Banned

No way. People usually just say this because they want to see their favorite characters live. Every trial is meticulously crafted to be a spawning of people's personalities and how they'd go about it in the end. You lose a lot of the good writing if you try and force various outcomes.

FluxWaveZ

No way. People usually just say this because they want to see their favorite characters live. Every trial is meticulously crafted to be a spawning of people's personalities and how they'd go about it in the end. You lose a lot of the good writing if you try and force various outcomes.

Yep, I'm completely against. I do like Kodaka's idea, however:
I like the idea of giving the player the complete story, and then, for those who are truly interested, give them branching paths they can purchase. So you have a complete game, in and of itself, that would not be episodic, but there would be branching pathways directly relating to the main game.
Like, there's a complete game, with a linear, full story. But then there are DLC, alternate/what-if branch episodes for different interpretations of events and significantly different cases based on minor differences.

FluxWaveZ

DanganRonpa RPG? Yes please.

Heh, what I got from that interview is the following:

1. There's going to be a Danganronpa RPG.
2. There's never going to be a Danganronpa crossover anything.
3. Danganronpa 3 might really be the last main DR game.
4. There won't be a Danganronpa 2 anime, as in a straight adaptation of the game.

theecakee

I see people say this every now and then, but I think DR works so well because they do have definite story directions and a beginning and middle that help build up to the end. I'm not sure the story would be as effective if there were branching paths.

I feel like it work just as well as it did with 999 and VLR, I mean I'm not talking the whole "choose your own adventure" and decide who lives and who dies each time. But more like maybe 3-4 endings with diverging trials where there are a few extra different trials for each ending.

4. There won't be a Danganronpa 2 anime, as in a straight adaptation of the game.
An answer he gave in a different recent interview sorta conveys the opposite. Something along the lines of "as long as there's a story to tell, we'll tell it". (Unless you mean more that they're just gonna branch off of VNs. Though I don't think they'd do that either.)

I feel like it work just as well as it did with 999 and VLR, I mean I'm not talking the whole "choose your own adventure" and decide who lives and who dies each time. But more like maybe 3-4 endings with diverging trials where there are a few extra different trials for each ending.

But that works in the Zero Escape universe largely because of the sci-fi elements they created and tailored around the morphogenic field. I don't think that would work as well in this case. The meticulously crafted linear story fits in much nicer with this series. I think it's better not to split their attention on several endings, and better to focus on creating one really good story.

An answer he gave in a different recent interview sorta conveys the opposite. Something along the lines of "as long as there's a story to tell, we'll tell it". (Unless you mean more that they're just gonna branch off of VNs. Though I don't think they'd do that either.)

That's basically what he said in this interview. Specifically that as long as he and the audience is happy and there's a story to tell, he'll tell it. He sounded slightly more cynical there, but that might be because of the translator or how niche gamer presented the translation.

pariah164

Well, with this info, at least we know DR3 is a thing that will actually happen. Unlike VLR 3.

;_; I'm still in mourning.

FluxWaveZ

I believe that was in the Kotaku interview, but this interview saying "so he feels that in that regard, he feels that the series doesn’t have much longer to go," makes it sound decisive. I think the deciding factor for whether or not there'll be a sequel to DR3, in this case, will rely strongly on sales. It sounds like the convergence between what Kodaka wants to do and what the fans want is rather important, so if sales indicate that the franchise is growing, it could also incite Kodaka to come up with unique ideas for another mainline game (perhaps after taking a break with spin-offs in-between, like he did with DR:AE).

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

Darn... as tight as the first series was, I still wanted to check out DR2 animated. Still waiting for Funi to announce the blu ray release, too.

Cha

Aww :( There goes my Danganronpa X VLR 2D Fighter pipe dream. Was looking forward to mascot matches between Zero III and Monokuma.

I like the way the creator thinks. A DR RPG could work really well. Also, pretty solid reasoning for not making a DR2 anime. Can't see it working very well.
This thread has picked up much more pace recently.

I still have hope, but I have thought about it and it would be difficult. At least it needs to be a 24 episode affair, as the story is much more expansive.
Still, the sheer insanity of an animated Chapter 5 onwards and
Nagito, Izuru and more Junko in anime form
are fun prospects.

Concerning a possible end of the series, maybe the DR0-DR1-DR2 Hope's Peak saga may finally end in the third game. I don't know what AE brings to the fray, but I can't see that storyline being anymore stretched. But maybe some side-stories or even whaf-if scenarios can continue expanding the franchise, even if they aren't in a game form. Or as Kodaka mentioned, a RPG.

SerTapTap

I'm okay with RPG as long as there's lots of story. Not too upset at the lack of an anime, really doesn't hold half the appeal the games do for me. If DR3 is a proper closure I'll be very interested to see it. Hope it happens before too long.

Cool, a RPG. Still waiting for him to get a craving to make a fighting game.

Eh, don't really mind about crossovers. We already had characters appear in other games, so no big deal.

Don't really see that. From the interview:
Good question. Actually, every time they make a game, he feels that, that’s the end. He felt like, when he finished 1, the story was complete, that was the end. When he finished the novel, Danganronpa 0, that was it, that was the end. Now, though, when he’s writing, it always feels like he’s written an out for himself [so] that it could go either way. […] Which way it will continue, depends on how he’s feeling at the moment.

I mean sure, for now DR3 might be the end, but if he feels like it, he could always add more to the world.

Eh, don't really see why there can't be a SDR2 anime. Sure, it'll lose a bit of the impact, but with a creative director, they can really still have the same impact. Of course, if they use the same staff, then well never mind. ~_~

FluxWaveZ

I mean sure, for now DR3 might be the end, but if he feels like it, he could always add more to the world.

Yeah, that's what I took from it too, but I mean that while DR1 was inevitably going to lead into DR2, and the same from 2 to 3, I really feel like DR3 is the make-or-break game for potential, subsequent mainline entries. Depending on how that game ends, and depending on how the fanbase reacts to that game and the game's sales, I feel like that's where it might end. Then again, finishing up a trilogy and then moving on to stories in future mainline entries which are reminiscent of it, but very different, is a solution. That's what they did with Ace Attorney.

Eh, don't really see why there can't be a SDR2 anime. Sure, it'll lose a bit of the impact, but with a creative director, they can really still have the same impact. Of course, if they use the same staff, then well never mind. ~_~

I'm a bit confused on the rationale behind there not being a DR2 anime, myself. I get that, on a meta level, it's
a game inside of a game
, but I don't understand what removing one of those levels of abstraction would impede in terms of an adaptation. It's not like
it was a VR/fake world the whole time
is some twist that hasn't been done before, and well,
in mediums outside of video games

SerTapTap

Yeah, that's what I took from it too, but I mean that while DR1 was inevitably going to lead into DR2, and the same from 2 to 3, I really feel like DR3 is the make-or-break game for potential, subsequent mainline entries. Depending on how that game ends, and depending on how the fanbase reacts to that game and the game's sales, I feel like that's where it might end. Then again, finishing up a trilogy and then moving on to stories in future mainline entries which are reminiscent of it, but very different, is a solution. That's what they did with Ace Attorney.

I'm a bit confused on the rationale behind there not being a DR2 anime, myself. I get that, on a meta level, it's
a game inside of a game
, but I don't understand what removing one of those levels of abstraction would impede in terms of an adaptation. It's not like
it was a VR/fake world the whole time
is some twist that hasn't been done before, and well,
in mediums outside of video games
Yeah, but it wouldn't be half as impactful. That part where Monokuma just keeps responding with
CUZ IT'S A GAME
is brilliant. Lose the meta narrative while you're already inherently losing the mystery and interactivity? What's left? Not enough for me. Might as well read a plot synopsis with pictures.

LX_Theo

Banned

Except 999 and VLR's story was defined by those branching storylines.

Doing that would just make a shorter story. If you make a diverging storyline, then you take 6 trials and bring the story length to what? 3 trials? No way.

FluxWaveZ

Kodaka's been pretty popular this month. Another interview, via the PlayStation blog. Quickly scanning it, I haven't seen any outright spoilers, but he talks about Another Episode. Probably best to avoid these interviews unless you've played DR1 and DR2, in general.

Also, it "reconfirms" that there's going to be a Danganronpa RPG, heh.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Just as you get attached to a party member & their skills, BAM THEY'RE DEAD & can't be used for the rest of the game.

It'll be like FF7, but multiplied.

Cha

From the PSBlog interview:
PlayStation.Blog: Will it be possible for players new to the Danganronpa series to start with Another Episode?

Kazutaka Kodaka: Essentially, Danganronpa Another Episode was created in a way that new players can start the series by playing it and be okay.

Really? Doesn't Another Episode spoils DR1 and DR2? I'm sure people here that have played the game have said that.

Just as you get attached to a party member & their skills, BAM THEY'RE DEAD & can't be used for the rest of the game.

It'll be like FF7, but multiplied.

Nothing but despair to be found.

From the PSBlog interview:

Really? Doesn't Another Episode spoils DR1 and DR2? I'm sure people here that have played the game have said that.

Maybe he means Another Episode will provide a summary so people wouldn't be completely lost. Even though people really shouldn't jump into Another Episode first. ~_~

FluxWaveZ

In all of these interviews, no one bothered to ask "we haven't actually gotten Danganronpa Zero over here, is there any possibility of that happening?" He might not be directly responsible, but he'd at least have some insight.

That and his apparently false claim that DR:AE has the same text/action ratio as the main series seem to really be there in order to sell DR:AE. Though, the former answer could be because he was referring strictly to classroom trials—where I could envision the proportion of both game segments being similar—while I could see the latter being what dakkumauji said, and that the game probably builds up the world in a way to not let new players in the dark, despite it probably spoiling a whole lot about DR1 and potentially DR2 in the process.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
In all of these interviews, no one bothered to ask "we haven't actually gotten Danganronpa Zero over here, is there any possibility of that happening?" He might not be directly responsible, but he'd at least have some insight.

This is true! Well, I've mentioned before that it's at least worth bugging Yen Press about it.

Puruzi

Banned
Just finished DR2. Jesus Christ. Game was god damn incredible.
Loved Hinata pulling a Taka, and I'm glad everyone kept the virtual world memories. I think? Rest in pieces Junko. Loved Makoto, Kyoko, and Byakuya coming through too. Shit was so awesome.

Is the postgame thing for this game better than the one for the first game?

Top Bottom