• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Going Mobile: Smartphone Game Deal with DeNA [First Games Fall 2015]

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I wonder if they will try to bring Animal Crossing or Tomodachi Life, or if they will try to expand Amiibo to the mobile platform.

I'm intrested in what Nintendo will have to offer.

JCX

I wonder if these games will also be available on Wii U/3DS a la Playstation mobile. All the devices have touch screens, so at least controls won't need to be changed.

RedFyn

I'm sure they'll set up some sort of Nintendo hub similar to the Warawara plaza. As long as Google gets their cut i don't think they care if you are using a portal like this. Especially with Nintendo.

Nintendo's trying to make more money? Wow. Never saw this coming from a company in 2015.
But they are already sitting on a giant cash reserve from the DS/Wii!

Seriously though, it never hurts to diversify your business. Going mobile in a limited capacity has made sense for a long time and I think this is going to help Nintendo a lot, which is good for the industry.

To clear up some confusion i quote myself and add some further stuff

So what does it all mean?
There will be tons of misunderstanding about this. Iwata only mentioned the NX to counter this but oh well. There will be gaming applications for smartphones by Nintendo. That´s the big news here. You will have a unified account on everything that´s avaiable - that´s the other one.

What you won´t get is unified games. On the contrary. Both parties mentioned the importance of IPs. Iwata said it word by word that software has to be unique to the hardware to not damage the IP with bad controls or sluggish performance.

No ports. Unique software. Nintendo still doing a dedicated system, No hybrid.
The market will decide if it stays that way but thats where we are now.

Nintendo in 2017:

- QoL business: health, education. Whatever. Same shared account. Unique hardware.
- Dedicated consoles and handhelds. Yes both. At least one more time. Iwata said as much in this very year. No hybrid.
- Smart devices. Unique Nintendo software with well known IPs on smart devices. Thats new. Different software than on their own hardware, shared IPs to boost recognition.

That´s it and thats huge enough.
No hybrid.

You sure about that? No hybrid? Give me some quotes!
Iwata said:
Last year, an unprecedented thing in the history of the Japanese video game market happened: Five titles for Nintendo 3DS sold more than two million copies each in the latter six-month period of 2014. As this record-breaking incident attests, video game software sales have been progressing smoothly on dedicated video game hardware even after smart devices have become widespread in this country.
Of course, the challenge of asking our consumers to purchase dedicated video game hardware has become harder now that smart devices have widely spread. However, we recognize that our business model of producing both video game hardware and software is effective even today, and we do not share this pessimistic view of the future for dedicated video game systems.
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/en/2015/150317/03.html

Earlier
Iwata said:
Last year we also started a project to integrate the architecture for our future platforms. What we mean by integrating platforms is not integrating handhelds devices and home consoles to make only one machine. What we are aiming at is to integrate the architecture to form a common basis for software development so that we can make software assets more transferrable, and operating systems and their build-in applications more portable, regardless of form factor or performance of each platform. They will also work to avoid software lineup shortages or software development delays which tend to happen just after the launch of new hardware.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/130131/05.html

Iwata said:
Still, I am not sure if the form factor (the size and configuration of the hardware) will be integrated. In contrast, the number of form factors might increase. Currently, we can only provide two form factors because if we had three or four different architectures, we would face serious shortages of software on every platform.

To cite a specific case, Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms. Apple has a common platform called iOS. Another example is Android. Though there are various models, Android does not face software shortages because there is one common way of programming on the Android platform that works with various models. The point is, Nintendo platforms should be like those two examples.

Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment. However, we are hoping to change and correct the situation in which we develop games for different platforms individually and sometimes disappoint consumers with game shortages as we attempt to move from one platform to another, and we believe that we will be able to deliver tangible results in the future.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130qa/02.html

Ok, ok. No hybrid. But what about playing 3D World on mobile?
We will get the virtual console right?

Iwata said:
As for which Nintendo IP will be used, we do not intend to make any exceptions.Potentially, any Nintendo IP could be used in our smart device software....

Please also note that, even if we use the same IP on our dedicated video game
systems and smart devices, we will not port the titles for the former to the latter just as they are. There are significant differences in the controls, strengths and weaknesses between the controllers for dedicated game systems and the touchscreens of smart devices. We have no intention at all to port existing game titles for dedicated game platforms to smart devices because if we cannot provide our consumers with the best possible play experiences, it would just ruin the value of Nintendo’s IP.
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/en/2015/150317/03.html

But but they said they won´t go mobile before. So anything can happen, right?

Yes, but not in the foreseeable future. If you believe in a 3rd party Nintendo or ports of existing games on your experia you either didn´t read any of the news today, you have a dragon avatar or you are just trolling.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I wonder if these games will also be available on Wii U/3DS a la Playstation mobile. All the devices have touch screens, so at least controls won't need to be changed.

I think from now on there will be three main types of software from Nintendo.

QoL software: playable on their QoL device with some apps also coming to mobile and can be ported to WiiU/3DS

Mobile software: playable on smart devices and can be ported to WiiU/3DS

Premium software: playable only on WiiU/3DS

marrec

Banned
They're capable but would have to do practices that may be frowned upon here given the mobile software leaders are F2P games.

Square-Enix has made quite a lot of money by bucking the mobile software trend and releasing games for 15 dollars a pop.

Clash of Clans makes a lot of money, but it's a riskier market to invest in because the consumers are more fickle. Whereas releasing 15 dollar VC games or, god forbid, actually using the platform as a 1st party development platform, would be a much more solid form of revenue for them.

Heartfyre

It's not news I relish, but I'm glad they're approaching it the right way. Judging by what they're saying, if you expect Smash Bros. to be ported to mobile, you'll be disappointed.

Nintendo said in the past that they would use mobile, and its IP, to try and promote its own hardware. Despite how this is being reported by some, this seems to be the extent of that plan. Pokemon Shuffle is an obvious release for mobile, and I think that Nintendo would hope to promote its mainline Pokemon games through ads built into it, rather than simply release those games on mobile. That Iwata said that this isn't a new policy shift, and that he never said they would completely avoid mobile, seems to verify this point.

The real question is how much of their resources Nintendo will contribute compared to DeNA. I would think that DeNA would be putting up the heft of the initiative, with Nintendo taking on a supervisory role. But that remains to be seen.

This isn't a big deal. We'll see Mario endless runners, a Zelda-themed puzzle game, etc.

Nintendo is still going to keep its full-featured games on its handhelds and consoles.

Well this is probably the end of buying new games for me if true.

1983 - 2015 still a pretty good back catalog of Nintendo games to dig into and play.

lol

bomblord1

Banned
So once Nintendo Dev's get a taste of high end smartphone power I'm sure they'll want to beef up their next handheld right =P

Somnid

This doesn't seem so surprising. Iwata had alluded such things are possible. I had always figured if they did embrace alternate platforms it wouldn't be with direct ports but special software that feeds back into a greater Nintendo's ecosystem and as far as I can tell that's what they intend to do.

But they are already sitting on a giant cash reserve from the DS/Wii!

Seriously though, it never hurts to diversify your business. Going mobile in a limited capacity has made sense for a long time and I think this is going to help Nintendo a lot, which is good for the industry.

People here seemed to believe that their previous success and cash on hand was good news for stockholders, when it isn't because their current (comparitive) lack of success counteracts that. :p

Can't wait for a million threads on the matter.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
One thing that will be interesting going forward if this is a success, is the question of whether Sony and MS will follow suit. I guess they are both already kinda invested in mobile, but hasnt had much success there so far, but could Nintendo dipping its toe and earn money in this market, mean that they would follow suit? Would suck if all dedicated players eventually ended up there.

Avixph

Now the question is how are they going to handle all the endless copycats that pop up in the Play Store and iTunes Store when a game is released or announced that do nothing but confuse potential consumers?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I'm sure they'll set up some sort of Nintendo hub similar to the Warawara plaza. As long as Google gets their cut i don't think they care if you are using a portal like this. Especially with Nintendo.

Do google get a cut of Andoid? I though that was completely royalty-free.

HUELEN10

Since they are not half-ass porting thier games, rather its new software eight thier IP to the strengths of another platform, what is the difference between this and games on CDi or games on Pico Beena?

andymcc

Banned
Since they are not half-ass porting thier games, rather its new software eight thier IP to the strengths of another platform, what is the difference between this and games on CDi or games on Pico Beena?

i'd imagine they'd be light-years better.

But what if this is a success, will there be a point in continuing spending resources on traditional games then?

like will they still support their own consoles?

RedFyn

Do google get a cut of Andoid? I though that was completely royalty-free.
They get a cut of all monetary transactions from the play store and in app purchases from games downloaded on the play store.

Now there's a game I'd pay good money for.
It was a hit with the ladies in my family. Not that I didn't enjoy it but they really clicked with it and the Yoshi game. My mom might put down candy crush to play some more of that Yoshi game (something else that could translate well.)

DavidDesu

Still find the backlash to this notion from some on here as really odd. As usual the paranoid view that if anything changes it must be for the worse..

I think people should trust Nintendo. I think they might do this right and I expect high quality output. I also think they'll realise that fleecing people won't go down well so I expect apps with decent payment structures that are fair. Then again they want to charge £'s for ancient NES games so I may get be wrong on that one. I certainly don't think they'll have cynical micro transactions plastered all over their games like some do. I know I simply don't play mobile games anymore I got so sick of it all and I suspect many feel the same so Nintendo won't want to poison their relationship with their fan base like that.

Have faith Nintendo faithful! :p

GCX

They will be released on a relevant platform and they won't let the janitor design the games?

I don't know why people are freaking out about this. This won't make them abandon their mainline console stuff, if anything it might help it - the money they make off this will be a huge help to it.

I feel like Pokemon Shuffle was testing the waters. That game is nothing compared to their other stuff but it does what it's supposed to do, and it's a bit of fun. And they have obviously started to make money off that, too.

On that note, it also is not a surprise, they need that money and it's easy money for them.

But what if this is a success, will there be a point in continuing spending resources on traditional games then?
You really think Nintendo is going to stop making Wii U/3DS games because they can sell a lot of $1 Mario runners or Pokemon puzzle games? Are we actually jumping to this conclusion now?

Come on man. This will have no impact on their dedicated hardware.

Kriken

Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Nintendo fan culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like EA where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw over a Nintendo fan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is that Nintendo fans, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Nintendo games for mobile, nor will they purchase any of Nintendo's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Nintendo has alienated an entire market with this move.

Nintendo, publicly apologize and cancel your mobile games or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Well that's one way to wake up to news like this

Really not understanding the freak out I see on here and elsewhere, its not like Nintendo is pulling a Sega and saying they are going third party and is going to stop making consoles or handhelds... No what they are saying is that they are expanding there market, which IE is a very good thing for them to do.

Think about it this way, Mario Maker is coming out for Wii U later this year (still hoping 3DS too honestly) what if they make a mobile app to go along with it which would allow you to build levels on the phone then transfer them to the console or upload them online via the new network plan they are talking about? That would be freaking awesome and when they talked last year about supporting smart phones in the future something like the above is what I imagined. Because while getting a normal mario game to work on a touch screen could be difficult, a designing app for another game could work wonders, hell it would even give people who don't have a Wii U an opportunity to take a shot at making their own levels.

Also think about how many shitty games are in the mobile market right now, if there is any company that will end up dominating if they do things right (and whats the one thing Nintendo truly knows how to do? Make some great games) which could help put a lot of the shovel-ware we see in mobile to the side.

Kouichi

Well looks like I'm going to need a new phone.

I'm actually quite excited about this. I love that Nintendo is being more loose with their ips.

Nintendo will make these games for a wider audience that brings in profits while they continue to make games to a dedicated audience on their traditional platforms.

It's not a bad idea.

GameSeeker

This is good news.

iOS/Android have been the best new gaming platform introduced in the last 10 years. They are on the way to dominating gaming and rightly so.

I thought Nintendo would be too stubborn to realize they can't compete on the H/W and OS side with iOS/Android, but it looks like reality finally sunk in at Nintendo HQ. I'm sure Sony (Vita) has realized the same thing.

I'm looking forward to Nintendo games on iOS/Android.

geordiemp

He will whine about how it's too little too late, how they should have rather released the Wii HD in 2009 what a terrible and shortsighted CEO Iwata is and his usual nonsensical drivel.

Pachter from last year

We believe that Nintendo would benefit immensely from embracing mobile and tablet, placing GBA games on those platforms for paid download ($4.99 - 9.99) and developing a broader audience

Maybe he is not as daft as he looks...maybe he knew something....who knows..

Hope they still have a solid focus on their dedicated console games. Mobile will probably net them more profit however.

Geez Pokemon in your phone...I cant even begin to imagine.

SerTapTap

Guess this makes it easy to spend less money this gen. I'm sure Sony and Valve are still happy to take my money instead. Pokemon Shuffle gives me zero hope for this being anything but yet another shitstain on the tapestry of mobile.

Top Bottom