• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Wants Game Pass On PlayStation, Nintendo, And "Every Screen" Possible

I could see Sony agreeing to this deal if MS agrees to exit the hardware space. Nintendo on the other hand is doing so well with their strategy right now I don't see the point in changing anything. At least with Sony they have a very very high chance of picking up like 75% of all Xbox owners into their own ecosystem.

SkylineRKR

Pardon my ignorance, wouldn’t that devalue Xbox as a console?

This already happened with day one PC releases. There is less reason to go out and buy an Xbox, than a PS5. You can play Xbox games day one more ways than one. I think MS is steering towards third party for a long while now.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Only way it works is first party only games, NSO and Plus still needed for online play, £8.99 a month for just Xbox first party games. Probably be a cloud app only on Nintendo’s platform.

Even then, it’d probably take a huge amount of promised and vending over backwards from Microsoft that they won’t continue to cannibalise third parties as that’s eating Sony’s dinner. I don’t think they’d be able to pursuance them to be honest.

REDRZA MWS

I love MLB THE SHOW. I get it free on gamepass yet I still have to buy it for my ps5. If gamepass comes to PlayStation, can I still download the gamepass version for free?

/s

This already happened with day one PC releases. There is less reason to go out and buy an Xbox, than a PS5. You can play Xbox games day one more ways than one. I think MS is steering towards third party for a long while now.

I hope not, I’d rather they vastly improved themselves for healthy competition

Darsxx82

Y’all are reading too much into this. They already offer their first party games on other screens and consoles. They already offer GamePass outside of Xbox hardware. That’s the change in focus he’s referring to. Idk if you listened to the presentation but his point there about other screens was reinforcing their ABK acquisition, it was a point about how CoD as a franchise and the King mobile games will strengthen their presence on these other screens.

He also goes on and about how important the high margin from the Xbox ecosystem are. They don’t get those high numbers on revenue in the PlayStation or Nintendo ecosystem, except the example he gave: Call of Duty. I know it’s been popular on GAF for around a decade to predict the exit of Xbox hardware but y’all are crazy if you think they’re giving up all that revenue, especially after spending all these billions on acquisitions.
Add the fact that these statements are not made in the context of an interview where they want to make some announcement. It is a talk with investors and it is not saying anything that is already happening today since the acquisition of ABK was closed and a multitude of first party games are and will be launched on PS and Nin.

This is not from today, that intention to bring GPass to PS and Switch was stated several years ago by Phil Spencer himself and then no one saw any sense (because it simply doesn't have it). At the same time that, behind the scenes, he was betting on the exclusivity of Bethesda games for Xbox. The same time in which, even with pressure from the FTC and CMA, they have opted to reduce their obligations with SONY and NIN only to COD.... Tell me what sense that makes if the purpose was to abandon the console and XSeries business. ..🤔

It is clear that some here mix desires, desire to create FUD around Xbox (it must also be said that MS also helps them with this with contradictory and unclear messages) and the sales context to express themselves in specific terms (even if they contradict other statements made by them).

Nobody knows what the future will bring, the video game business is very devirsified. But I tend to tend to go for logic. And the current logic is that the Xbox console is the first source of income for MS's gaming business and ending it would have many undesirable consequences. It is also the absolute majority of GP subscription base and the main attraction for potential new users. That GPass on PS is far or impossible from being an interesting possibility for Sony and even MS itself. It would be stupid to think that MS could pass up the opportunity to serve a new generation that would begin with 50 Studios in its possession to provide catalog and interest while expanding its limits further.....

PS. Recent statements by Nadella saying that his biggest regret and mistake is having closed the mobile and OS business. Imagine saying this while his intention was to end the business and brand with the most relevance, followers and social potential of MS at the moment when they are most prepared to maintain and enhance it.

NickFire

Y’all are reading too much into this. They already offer their first party games on other screens and consoles. They already offer GamePass outside of Xbox hardware. That’s the change in focus he’s referring to. Idk if you listened to the presentation but his point there about other screens was reinforcing their ABK acquisition, it was a point about how CoD as a franchise and the King mobile games will strengthen their presence on these other screens.

He also goes on and about how important the high margin from the Xbox ecosystem are. They don’t get those high numbers on revenue in the PlayStation or Nintendo ecosystem, except the example he gave: Call of Duty. I know it’s been popular on GAF for around a decade to predict the exit of Xbox hardware but y’all are crazy if you think they’re giving up all that revenue, especially after spending all these billions on acquisitions.
Other people might say it's crazy to keep buying studios and then leaving huge revenue streams on the table to keep chasing the same dragon that eluded them for 20 years. Not very common for a company to spend 80 billion on transactions to then say they don't want to make too much money off the deal, which is kind of what they are doing right now.

On the hardware specifically though, I don't think they ever drop Xbox unless either cloud becomes mass market (their new console), or they sold Xbox to another large entity first. A single high end console manufacturer would be way too much risk to MS Gaming's ability to negotiate deals in its favor.

I have a Series X console with about 30 games. Anyone wanna buy it off me? Some of the games are still sealed as well. Console is in brand new condition. Also comes with a 2tb Seagate hard drive.
Honestly, are Microsoft even pretending to show faith in their console anymore?
Pardon my ignorance, wouldn’t that devalue Xbox as a console?
More and more Microsoft sounds like a third party publisher.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

Microsoft doesn't care about Xbox as a hardware anymore. They believe consoles have no future and that Gamepass will emerge as the leading gaming-equivalent of Netflix.

Last edited:

Astray

Gold Member
Why would any Xbox studio be on the chopping block after their games are made available to a much wider audience? Makes no sense whatsoever.
Because things like Psychonauts 3 or Hellblade 4 don't make financial sense except as system sellers.

If games like that were a success in the market then those studios wouldn't have needed saving to begin with. You look at Double Fine for example, and basically all their recent games required some form of crowdfunding.

This screams out that whatever they are doing, be it good or bad from a creative standpoint, is simply not clicking through with the mainstream audience.
The day they go 3rd party is the day they immediately use a different formula for revenue and profit.

Right now, Microsoft is okay with subsidizing unprofitable studios because they are looking for as much content as they can muster to maintain engagement in GamePass.

When Microsoft says GamePass is a high margin or that it is profitable, I assure everyone that they are being misleading. They're certainly not factoring in the cost of game development and they'll justify that as games are still released stand alone, but the reality is there is a cost related to reduced sales. The fact that they're vague around the numbers reveals the truth.

PlayGround Games had several key department heads from Forza Horizon leave.
Turn10 closing would not be a surprise after the failure of Forza Motorsport.
Arkane could easily have been closed after the disaster which was Redfall.
Bethesda's Starfield has absolutely underperformed expectations across the board.
343i had major layoffs as did The Coalition.

Cuts are going to become more and more aggressive as Microsoft has to show its board that this is a profitable endeavor.
I've been thinking about doing a thread on this tbh, because a lot of ppl here talk about whether they want or think MS will pull out of the 1st party game, but no one talks realistically about this move's potential effects on the market.

The profit/loss thing would kill at least a 1/3rd of their studios. 3P publishing plays by an entirely different set of rules to the 1P publishing game.

If you are going to be making games for all possible systems, then this means that your games must be (on paper) equally desirable to each platform's users, otherwise, it's not worth a port or two out of the 3-4 planned ones from the get-go.

This is a strategy that immediately excludes things like Pentiment, Hi-Fi Rush or Psychonauts. They're gonna have to assess each franchise's likelihood of success on each platform and make cuts as needed, and some surprising things might go (Motorsport is potentially one of them, it would face one of the leaders of the genre on PS with tons of brand equity amongst playstation users, Nintendo can't power it with their current systems and PC has potentially too much competition in the sim racer subgenre).

Being 3P rewards pandering to creative trends, not innovating new ones. There's a reason people yearned for Activision or Bethesda to be saved from the evil honchos, but those companies didn't grow to where they are now by being creative, they grew via the most risk-averse means possible.

Kdad

36e335da-9137-41ca-b8ec-f0847a0e53a6.jpg

"It's a bit of a change of strategy," Microsoft admits.
Microsoft wants to bring Xbox Game Pass to PlayStation and Nintendo. Xbox CFO Tim Stuart said during the Wells Fargo TMT Summit this week that the goal is to make first-party games and Game Pass available on "every screen that can play games," and this includes rival consoles.

Via Gamespot
This isn't news really, they said this awhile back, its also why you saw MS support EPIC in their issue with Apple.

So MS pulls out of the hardware game and the risks / RD associated with it and coat tails SONY.

NickFire

It would need to be a lite version for PS and Nintendo. Perhaps a version of GP that just has access to Microsoft first party titles, meaning it'll cheaper than the current GP.

Could work.
Definitely could work, but doubtful it would be cheaper IMO. If MS kept price the same then Sony's cut would be offset by not having to pay 3rd parties. They could also show a benefit to having GP on Xbox compared to other places where you get less games.

Edit: Maybe make it a little cheaper due to not getting online access. Perhaps same price as PC.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Microsoft doesn't care about Xbox as a hardware anymore. They believe consoles have no future and that Gamepass will emerge as the leading gaming-equivalent of Netflix.
Eddie Murphy Yes GIF

Holammer

They are praying that legislation gets passed to allow sideloading on consoles and phones.
They supported Epic in the Epic Games v. Apple trial to make sure everyone know consoles walled gardens are VERY DIFFERENT from smartphones.
So if that happened, you could cut big fat slices of irony.

bitbydeath

This isn't news really, they said this awhile back, its also why you saw MS support EPIC in their issue with Apple.

So MS pulls out of the hardware game and the risks / RD associated with it and coat tails SONY.
It’s not new but them mentioning it as a change in strategy, and nothing being broadly announced today makes it sound like it will be happening soon.

This is just to prepare people for the changes.

xrnzaaas

I don't see any way how MS can still continue making consoles and have Game Pass available on the competitor's devices. Maybe they are really considering ditching the hardware side of the business.

Anyway it would be pretty wild to be able to play MS games on Sony hardware and earn trophies in them.

Iced Arcade

honestly, I can't see Sony or Nintendo allowing that BUT if they did... there would be absolutely no reason to own an Xbox ever again.

would be great to not need to buy another console but would absolutely suck for consumers if Sony had the high-end market exclusively.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
honestly, I can't see Sony or Nintendo allowing that BUT if they did... there would be absolutely no reason to own an Xbox ever again.

would be great to not need to buy another console but would absolutely suck for consumers if Sony had the high-end market exclusively.
It just means PC would absorb all of that. At that point, I'd welcome MS coming out with a gaming OS that would hopefully free up resources to get even more performance out of games.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Definitely could work, but doubtful it would be cheaper IMO. If MS kept price the same then Sony's cut would be offset by not having to pay 3rd parties. They could also show a benefit to having GP on Xbox compared to other places where you get less games.

Edit: Maybe make it a little cheaper due to not getting online access. Perhaps same price as PC.

I think it would be cheaper because it wouldn't have third party titles as they would be on PS plus. This would be just a bolt on sub, very much like how EA play is on PlayStation.

NickFire

Nintendo AND Sony:
Lose Willy Wonka GIF
I cannot deny that is a funny, funny post.

But I don't think it would be a good business decision to refuse the conversation by Sony (if not both). If MS ever spun off Xbox to someone like Apple, the new brand name alone would be a threat. And if all 3rd parties, MS Gaming included were on an Apple Xbox but not PS6,7,8, it could be brutal. Probably not as brutal as Blockbuster laughing at Netflix a decade or two ago, but still brutal.

Thirty7ven

Banned
If they launch their games on PSN and have a first party gamepass that gets games a few months down the line after their debut, Sony would say yes I think.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It definitely does, and these quotes leave no room for ambiguity here.

It seems like an announcement may even be closer than we thought. I think Microsoft is laying the groundwork for the inevitable announcement and testing the waters with interviews like these. It'll blow up the Internet when that happens, so they must want to treat carefully.

It's extremely obvious that they are laying the ground work. I think the reorganizing of the execs is part of this too.

Phil probably has 2 years with ABK to prove Nadella to NOT cut the cord.

MacReady13

Phil Spencer seems to be fully embracing the corporate executive mindset. He's enjoying his time with the CFO, metaphorically making snow angels in their massive trillion-dollar budget.

He's moved beyond the goal of selling 70-100 million consoles and is now aiming for 1 billion 'gamers'. He's made a promise to the CEO to reach this number. From this perspective, the console business might seem less significant. However, the issue is that the games on Game Pass mainly attract console gamers, which raises questions about whether this strategy has been completely thought through.
Phil continually moves those goal posts further and further apart as the Xbox brand continues to fail. What a massive fall from grace for what was once my fav console company during the original Xbox and 360 era. In fact, I still play more 360 games than current gen games on my Series X.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I could see Sony agreeing to this deal if MS agrees to exit the hardware space. Nintendo on the other hand is doing so well with their strategy right now I don't see the point in changing anything. At least with Sony they have a very very high chance of picking up like 75% of all Xbox owners into their own ecosystem.

At this point I believe Xbox has a maximum of 50 million users that Sony could pick off. Obviously some of them will go the PC route but if Sony could pick up about 30 million of those Xbox players that would be great for them. That would lift the floor for what the PlayStation 6 could do next generation from 120 million sold to 150 million sold.

It's not a bad deal for either Sony or microsoft. Everybody would just have to agree on the smaller details.

skit_data

I don't know how much more clearly they could spell out "We're shifting focus away from being a console manufacturer into becoming a third party publisher".

Darsxx82

It would need to be a lite version for PS and Nintendo. Perhaps a version of GP that just has access to Microsoft first party titles, meaning it'll cheaper than the current GP.

Could work.
It makes 0 economic sense for MS. What you are proposing is only a win win for Sony and maybe not either.

We have been discussing the sustainability of Gpass here for several years and suddenly people who denied that sustainability now propose a Gpass only for firstparty and at a lower price Is a great idea and MS salvation🤔🤔🙃

Imagine, Halo next, Starfield 2 or TES VI etc. that can be played by a PS6 user for 8-10 dollars. Users who of course will not be loyal subscribers like de 20+ millons on Xbox consolas today are but concurrent.....

Not to mention the contradiction with PS+ and how Sony would lose revenue for games.

That is to say, I don't understand how suddenly what a Gpass problem is and its sustainability today would no longer be a problem in PS with a worst product and more competence (PS+)

People are thinking of XBOX as an EA when MS's objective is to create its own ecosystem, not to sell its products to another and be dependent on it.

Imagine that decision after spending 100B and within 10 years PS+ is the dominant subscription on SmartTV, PC, mobile phones, etc... People are not aware of the vital importance that the Xbox console has in the current XBOX ecosystem. Even with 40-50 million consoles per generation, the income it generates is irreplaceable, at least until the arrival and establishment of cloud gaming.

At this point I believe Xbox has a maximum of 50 million users that Sony could pick off. Obviously some of them will go the PC route but if Sony could pick up about 30 million of those Xbox players that would be great for them. That would lift the floor for what the PlayStation 6 could do next generation from 120 million sold to 150 million sold.

It's not a bad deal for either Sony or microsoft. Everybody would just have to agree on the smaller details.

Exactly. I guess the real problem would be that MS would essentially be reliant on Sony at that point. If Sony one day decides to pull the rug out from under MS and remove GP MS is screwed. Not like those people who moved over from Xbox to Sony are suddenly going to leave. You might lose some of them but most will just keep playing like normal. I guess all the could be taken care of with contracts and things like that though.

I hoped for that myself, but after 10 years they proved they are incapable. With all the same people still in charge (Booty, Greenberg and Spencer) I have no faith. Please point me to a time when incompetent people suddenly became competent.

Yet people shower them with praise. I try to understand the point of view but the end results often don’t match the worship.

A team more capable than this one can have Xbox doing much better. They can compete better with Sony particularly in their own territory, get the right people in and it will happen.

Duchess

If Microsoft wants to put some of its games on PS5, then I'll be happy to play them *cough*hifirush*cough*.

But they can fuck off if they think I'll be signing up to Game Pass.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
It makes 0 economic sense for MS. What you are proposing is only a win win for Sony and maybe not either.

We have been discussing the sustainability of Gpass here for several years and suddenly people who denied that sustainability now propose a Gpass only for firstparty and at a lower price Is a great idea and MS salvation🤔🤔🙃

Imagine, Halo next, Starfield 2 or TES VI etc. that can be played by a PS6 user for 8-10 dollars. Users who of course will not be loyal subscribers like de 20+ millons on Xbox consolas today are but concurrent.....

Not to mention the contradiction with PS+ and how Sony would lose revenue for games.

That is to say, I don't understand how suddenly what a Gpass problem is and its sustainability today would no longer be a problem in PS with a worst product and more competence (PS+)

People are thinking of XBOX as an EA when MS's objective is to create its own ecosystem, not to sell its products to another and be dependent on it.

Imagine that decision after spending 100B and within 10 years PS+ is the dominant subscription on SmartTV, PC, mobile phones, etc... People are not aware of the vital importance that the Xbox console has in the current XBOX ecosystem. Even with 40-50 million consoles per generation, the income it generates is irreplaceable, at least until the arrival and establishment of cloud gaming.

Nah, it makes perfect financial sense.

First, if the goal is to create one ecosystem and not sell products to another, then why have their games on Steam? If they pull out of the console market, why not just publish their games on Sony and Nintendo consoles as they do on Steam? By putting their games on the PS/Nintendo store for individual sale, as well as offering a lite version of GP, they'll make more money then ever and easily become the biggest third-party publisher on earth.

However, just because I can see this happening doesn't mean I want it to happen. Far from it.

The competition that Sony and Microsoft provide each other has hugely benefited gamers, but what happens if Microsoft leaves the console space? Would Sony even bother trying so hard? Would somebody else step in like Apple?

I also love my Xbox consoles. I've had Xbox consoles since the OG Xbox (got it with Halo and Project Gotham Racing) and I would be gutted to see them leave the console space.

Fbh

Makes sense, but they'd have to find a business model that also works for Sony/Nintendo. They aren't just going to allow a subscription service on their system that competes with their own (in the case of Sony) and makes it so people don't have to buy games (for which they normally get a 30% cut).

It'd have to be some sort of profit sharing scheme that has to be viable for both of them-

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
If that's true, why still no naitive google tv app? Is google the issue? Apple TV app? Roku app? How about something easy to install on the steam store for the deck? (valve to blame?)
They have had years to get this together......seems like it's not the priority they say it is.

Top Bottom