• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Timdog: Call of Duty Games may not be coming to Game Pass. Microsoft likely going full digital with ads on Game Pass.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I think a ton of people are overlooking that Microsoft is a business not your friend. They are looking at the best ROI options and it seems things are very fluid there right now.

I do believe especially with recent rumors about them working with cellular stores they are going to try and push some type of gamepass to mobile devices like Apple Arcade.

They don’t care where their games are they just care about money so I can see a world where their is a new gamepass mobile.

They have a ton of IP’s and can easily pump out a bunch of gotcha gaas titles in the next 2 years

This COD solution will be quite interesting one as COD is a special game. Will be interesting to see what's going to happen there.

LordNerevar76

Neo Member
Everyone hating on game pass but even if it's not profitable for Microsoft, it's been a pretty nice deal for consumers. I've definitely paid a good amount for it over the years but probably have gotten several dozen full price games out of it over time.

Astray

Gold Member
Waiting for Colin Moriarty to start his I told you so tour. I remember him must be two years ago on several podcasts talking about how Game Pass will not be able to support multi million dollar game projects and MS were hiding true profits (or lack of) of Game Pass.
He's gonna be super insufferable with this (if you watched the latest Sacred Symbols episode, you already got a pre-dose of this when they talked Hifi-Rush PS5 lol).

But tbh, he's earned it. He's been the only prominent voice in games journalism that's been criticizing the gamepass approach.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
phil-spencer-cringe.gif

Skifi28

Everyone hating on game pass but even if it's not profitable for Microsoft, it's been a pretty nice deal for consumers. I've definitely paid a good amount for it over the years but probably have gotten several dozen full price games out of it over time.
I don't think most people have been "hating" on gamepass. What we have been saying for years now, is that the deal is a bit too good (not sustainable) and while it benefits people now, it can create issues in the future for both consumers and companies. It's still early to say for certain, but that future may be right now.

xrnzaaas

I don't think most people have been "hating" on gamepass. What we have been saying for years now, is that the deal is a bit too good (not sustainable) and while it benefits people now, it can create issues in the future for both consumers and companies. It's still early to say for certain, but that future may be right now.
Yep, Game Pass was and still is a great offering, but you gotta ask yourself how long they can keep this going. And if the deal is going to start getting worse (like no more day1 releases for certain series, price increase, introducting ads to current Core and/or Ultimate subs) then people used to the current model will start abandoning it.

DJ12

Gotta give props to TimDog. he is normally the worst of the fanboys, but here is sounding more like a human being and accepting of reality.

SenjutsuSage on the otherhand can go eat a bag of

Happy Dance GIF
Tim dog is actually a shill that gets paid, sage is just a koolaid drinking idiot mfer.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

GamePass is great.

And absolutely fucking stupid.

Hohenheim

Usually we don't find it strange when people are fans of sports teams, which are in fact just million dollar companies in disguise. At least on a hardware platform one has tons of their own money invested so I can understand feeling a healthy attachment to it. Obviously not talking about those that take it too far.
But there's quite a difference between sports teams and platform holders for gaming/tech in my book. The small % of top teams is definitly turning into mainstream million dollar companies, but there's a lot more to being a supporter of a sports team.

The fear of losing a library of games is absolutely a valid point, (like Stadia made very real).
Still, being a hardcore "fan" of the brands/platform feels so weird to me.

Being a fan of the game franchises and creators makes more sense. When I play a game, I never think "thank god, this game is on this or that platform, and I hope ut doesn't come to platform this or that" That kind of stuff seems so far from actually enjoying playing games.
I play games on all major platforms btw.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
i'd be lying if I said that I had gotten nothing out of Gamepass. I used it to playthrough several games. But that's the point, Gamepass was supposed to be the game changer for MS and be profitable.

Corporations aren't charities and never have been. The best deal in gaming aint that great a deal when everyone has to start paying $16.99 a month. I am still subscribed until May 2025 taking advantage of conversions, cheap gift cards, etc. After that and I am required to pay $16.99. fuck that. Wont be worth it. I'd save more money over the year buying games on sale.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I will say this, that the one trollish thing I can see MS doing by leaking big names like Starfield, Halo etc all of this, is that they may only end up doing smaller games like HiFi Rush at the moment so that their base can breath fresh air knowing that it wasn't as bad as it seemed....yet.

That I can actually see that.

GHG

I will say this, that the one trollish thing I can see MS doing by leaking big names like Starfield, Halo etc all of this, is that they may only end up doing smaller games like HiFi Rush at the moment so that their base can breath fresh air knowing that it wasn't as bad as it seemed....yet.

That I can actually see that.

Yeh they aren't going to just come out and reveal the true extent of their plans/thinking in one go.

Hifi Rush and maybe one other game gets announced first and then the rest will just be drip fed out over time providing the games they do port actually sell enough to justify it.

Anyone that thought new CoD games would release on GamePass was crazy to start with.
Makes way too much money for people to just throw down $17 instead of $70.

I thought at some point they'd say that going forward "Xbox Game Studios" releases will launch Day 1 on gamepass
actually day 3-5 cause fuck you pay for early access
and then clarify how Bethesda and ABK operate separately and their future games will not be in gamepass day 1.

Last edited:

Ansphn

I'm impressed, and I didn't see that coming. Letting the ActiBlizz deal go through actually killed both Xbox and Gamepass.
Its because Xbox as an ecosystem only grew 3 percent even after taking over Acti/Bliz. They figured that the COD base would drop PlayStation and buy an Xbox in droves but that didn't happen. The latest earnings report was devastating.

DrFigs

Maybe it's too early but:

I FUCKING TOLD YOU ALL!!

Pipe up mofo's. Where is lthe 'Day One' crowd now?

Still early but I'll say it again 'Call of Duty will NEVER be day one on gamepass.
I said it wouldn't be on gamepass at its current price, which is admittedly less ambitious as a prediciton, but i still had people argue w/ me over it.

DrFigs

Its because Xbox as an ecosystem only grew 3 percent even after taking over Acti/Bliz. They figured that the COD base would drop PlayStation and buy an Xbox in droves but that didn't happen. The latest earnings report was devastating.
They never tried this. playstation still had the marketing rights to COD this past year. there was no real reason for the COD base to switch over. not sure if playstation still has marketing rights for this year as well, but my expectation was that the exclusivity would begin next gen and MS would play the long game. but I guess the price tag on that is too much even for a company like Microsoft.

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
The whole leaking it so fanboys throw a fit thing was the first thought I had when I heard the news. A well deserved meltdown.

Sonik

People like me hated GamePass because we knew exactly what it actually is, these too good to be true services exist only destroy the competition and when they've formed a monopoly or a small oligopoly royally screw consumers by raising prices, spamming ads and so on, it happened with Amazon, it happened with Netflix and it would happen with GamePass too if Microsoft hadn't underestimated the competition or waited long enough while losing billions every year.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
This is comedy gold. If Xbox do go 3rd party and ditch hardware then we will never get such classic entitled reactions from these self proclaimed "influencers"

Highlights from this clip:

“I’ve been lobbying for Xbox since 2007”
Who would think of themselves as a lobbyist for a video game console brand?

“Aaron Greenberg won’t be happy”
➕
“People that didn’t want this to happen, kinda wanted it to get out sos that it was pushed back”
🟰
Aaron Greenberg is the leaker confirmed?

“I won’t bet an influencer for them”
I’m sure this is a net positive for the brand. With influencers like Tim who needs enemies.

“They’re going to be run like a business”
No shit. Do these people think Xbox is some kind of charity wing for Microsoft, why would they not want to maximise return on investment. He is literally a nobody in the eyes of Microsoft and he was expecting a “heads up” before their shareholders. 🟰

Sacred

Believing a youtuber and rolling with unverified information.. Yet don't even put up the rumor tag, great job OP.

Ansphn

They never tried this. playstation still had the marketing rights to COD this past year. there was no real reason for the COD base to switch over. not sure if playstation still has marketing rights for this year as well, but my expectation was that the exclusivity would begin next gen and MS would play the long game. but I guess the price tag on that is too much even for a company like Microsoft.
Even if its still on PlayStation wouldn't players want the best experience provided by the company that owned the company that made the game. Surely more than a 3 percent growth.

I never believed the talk that Game Pass was sustainable or increased Game Sales.

They really painted themselves in a corner with it, and it’s cost them big time:
Honestly, I think they were really hoping that Nintendo and Sony would have gamepass on their consoles. The writing was on the wall for them when their consoles just didn't sell enough. You can't have growth on game pass when your consoles don't sell.

Nydius

Regarding the $350 hardware- I never saw any marketing around it in Canada. I only knew through Reddit. Was there any advertising in the US?

I didn’t see marketing that was direct from Xbox (a TV spot saying “now $349.99” for example), but that $349.99 price was in every major big box newspaper circular and weekly online ad from Halloween through Christmas that I saw.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
What makes Microsoft think game pass will work? People understood Xbox LIVE and that did a nice job.

I still find it bizzare, funny and very strange that grown up people are "fans" of any of these brands.
Enjoy the games, guys! Not the platforms.
There's nothing wrong with being a fan of a brand that has supplied you with decades of entertainment, like Sony or Nintendo. Makes more sense than being a fan of a company that just makes your phone.

The problem comes when people become fanatics and fanboys and can not say anything negative about their fave company, even when it's obvious that they're fucking up.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
The collapse is incredible. Their an entire professional shill community out there like

faint-black-woman.gif

These threads are so hilarious I took adamsapple adamsapple off my block list to see how he'll spin this.
Landscape Tumbleweed GIF

He and various other of Xbox's most ardent supporters have been absent from the forum in the last 24 hours.

Nydius

The part in bold is the problem. Game Pass putting day one, $70 exclusives on the service has completely devalued their worth. It has conditioned Xbox’s biggest fans to not spend more than a subscription fee on games and if a game doesn’t come day one, well, how many times have you heard them say “I’ll wait for it to hit Game Pass”?

Game Pass is amazing value for consumers. For Microsoft Game Studios, not so much. Continually putting day one, AAA exclusives on the service after spending near 90 billion on acquisitions would be a financial death sentence. Imagine the amount of Xbox fans who suddenly stop buying COD - one of the biggest sellers every year - and only sub to
Game Pass for a month or two to try it out.

onQ123

Sounds familiar
PQuRwlk.png

tdDjOfg.png

Last edited:
With ads…gross

Now instead of lobby and stat screens in between matches you’re gonna get Ozempic commercials.

Last edited:
Top Bottom