• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Timdog: Call of Duty Games may not be coming to Game Pass. Microsoft likely going full digital with ads on Game Pass.

Draugoth

Gold Member

• Tim has heard that Call of Duty may not be coming to game pass.
  • Hardware sales have not met the projected sales and the CFO got spooked.
  • In the last three months of last year, they had consoles for $350 and no one cared.
  • Xbox One was more wanted than Series consoles.
  • They said the hardware is dead, and they are seeing declines in hardware year over year.
  • Game pass is unsustainable; the market they have is not enough to offset the cost.
  • Tim heard from someone at Microsoft that you may not like Xbox when they get Activision. They want ROI.
  • He heard that Xbox has an insane showcase with tons of games, but everyone is going to be saying asterisks.
  • The leaks happened because a Microsoft employee who didn't want this to happen leaked it, so there would be a public outcry.
  • Microsoft now has no problem buying more companies in the future if all games go to all platforms.
  • Tim thinks they will go all-digital, with ads on game pass (pre-roll or at the end of a chapter e.g. Like a Dragon) and AI community managers.

Maddoxswe

family guy suicide GIF

StueyDuck

man MS really is just walking around and dropping all their confidential documents like silly cluts.

9/11 oops GIF by South Park

every basement sweatlord on a podcast apparently has all their financials, industry secrets and future plans going forward.

I'm being facetious obviously, every tom dick and harry clout chaser is using this news to try get more famous and it's kind of shocking that MS is allowing it, they needa come out and just clear shit up now.

as an aside, gotta love how this guys keeps saying "we" like he fucking works for the company and has a personal stake in anything going on, what a sad sad little boy.

Last edited:
This was always going to be the way. I couldn't see Call of Duty hitting game pass when it sets records for games sold almost every year. Microsoft will release that game everywhere to make as much money as possible. You can't possibly make much ROI but just dropping all those games on GP.

This Spring update from Xbox sure will be interesting. I imagine lots of weird fanboys will be upset with Microsoft's strategy of making as much money as possible on all platforms.

Mowcno

"Game pass is unsustainable; the market they have is not enough to offset the cost." People have been saying this for YEARS. The cannibalising of day one software sales is brutal. Starfield likely hasn't broken even yet or barely passed it.

PS+ Premium/Extra got to 9.1m subs after just 9 months, while not destroying their $70 day-one purchases and still making a huge amount of money. Gamepass Ultimate/Console/PC after almost 6 years is at around 25m subs and has completely crippled their $60/$70 purchases. Which is the better model?

It seems pretty clear but If PS+ Premium/Extra eventually overtakes GPU in subs while at the same time Sony is still selling huge numbers of copies at launch that will be the icing on the cake.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

They cheered as MS spent almost $80B in acquisitions and heralded it as the most aggressive and competitive push MS could make in gaming. All the while backed by the most powerful console ever made.

Now they face the reality of what a company needs to do for their ROI.

At this point, too many of these very specific rumors have been making the rounds that its hard to imagine they aren't legit. I almost feel that these are controlled leaks; being done to desensitize everyone so it doesn't look or sound that bad when it's made official. Or in a diabolical twist, maybe MS figured out the best way to make people care about their games is if they spread rumors of them maybe coming to the PS5. Then when they don't they hope people would agrily go buy an Xbox or sub to gamepass on PC instead.
quoting myself from the other thread cause I don't understand why there are multiple threads covering the same subject.

MikeM

Regarding the $350 hardware- I never saw any marketing around it in Canada. I only knew through Reddit. Was there any advertising in the US?

Killjoy-NL

"Game pass is unsustainable; the market they have is not enough to offset the cost." People have been saying this for YEARS. The cannibalising of day one software sales is brutal. Starfield likely hasn't broken even yet or barely passed it.

PS+ Premium/Extra got to 9.1m subs after just 9 months, while not destroying their $70 day-one purchases and still making a huge amount of money. Gamepass Ultimate/Console/PC after almost 6 years is at around 25m subs and has completely crippled their $60/$70 purchases. Which is the better model?

It seems pretty clear but If PS+ Premium/Extra eventually overtakes GPU in subs while at the same time Sony is still selling huge numbers of copies at launch that will be the icing on the cake.
Phil Spencer even said so back in 2022, but Xbox fans and "platform-agnostics' refused to listen.

kikkis

If games in subscription services start showing ads IN the games, i'm definitly done. If that happens i'm back to à la carte buying only.
Why not just get 1 month when you have games you want play. I rather pay 12€ with ads than 70€ without ads.

Hohenheim

Why not just get 1 month when you have games you want play. I rather pay 12€ with ads than 70€ without ads.
No, i'd rather pay 70 to have no ads.
But I hope that the ads will be in some cheaper subscription only, and that the premium subscription is ad free. But having ads in games is so fucked up, and I really hope it's not real at all.

welshrat

If they put some effort into their games, honestly I really don't understand why anyone cares which box its on. I sold my Series X as I was getting very little use out of it and don't play much from Gamepass on my PC either. If they can make it a great service then I for one will be happy.

Last edited:

Zuzu

I don't see how Gamepass survives all this in the long term. So, it might not get COD. Well, there goes a nice potential market of subscribers. And once the Xbox console is gone then many of those millions of subscriptions will be gone as well.

So, who's going to subscribe to it assuming they can't get the service on the Switch or PS5? PC gamers are too wedded to Steam and most won't switch to Gamepass. Mobile gamers are mostly interested in micro-transaction riddled $5 casual games to care. The other option is to release a cloud-streaming dongle and to put a Gamepass app on tvs and streaming boxes. But cloud gaming may not be ready yet for a large majority to invest into.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Xbox out to ruin the games industry, the dumb asses who raised the white flag and destroyed any hope for thier console brand. They were winning 360 era with a 100% failure rate console, what complete idiots. The people who care about games will be the ones to pay.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

Game pass is unsustainable, but injecting ads for the paid subscribers will surely improve its growth.
Sounds like something someone would do who's about to wine down the service and hope to make some extra coin on the way out. Ain't no way I would ever pay for a service with ads being injected into the games.

Top Bottom