• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is exploring the possibility of offering access to Xbox Game Pass streaming in exchange for viewing advertisements in some markets.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Xbox-Game-Pass-PC-Family_Key-Art-1440x810.jpg

Xbox’s chief financial officer Tim Stuart recently told attendees at the Wells Fargo TMT Summit that the company wants to bring Game Pass “to every screen that can play a game”.

One potential method of expanding the service’s reach that he floated included offering ad-supported game streaming to players in emerging markets.

The vision I like to talk about is we have xCloud game streaming, so you can subscribe to Game Pass Ultimate and you can stream hundreds of games to really any endpoint that has a browser experience,” Stuart said

For models like Africa, or India, Southeast Asia, maybe places that aren’t console-first, you can say, ‘hey, do you want to watch 30 seconds of an ad and then get two hours of game streaming?

Africa is, you know, 50% of the population is 23 years old or younger with a growing disposable income base, all with cell phones and mobile devices, not a lot of high-end disposable income, generally-speaking.

So, we can go in with our own business models and say — there’s millions of gamers we would never have been able to address, and now we can go in with our business models

Via TweakTown.

reinking

Gold Member
Will the ads roll before or after it throws me into a queue? You know this is going to look like tv streaming services before it is all over. No ad tiers will be too expensive and expect ads in your current tier.

Darsxx82

For models like Africa, or India, Southeast Asia, maybe places that aren’t console-first, you can say, ‘hey, do you want to watch 30 seconds of an ad and then get two hours of game streaming?

I think it's a pretty decent exchange, especially for those with low economic resources. The other part of the problem is who in those countries has access to a decent internet connection...

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I wouldn't go this route but for some who might not want to spend the monthly fee I think this is a good option
I think it's a pretty decent exchange, especially for those with low economic resources. The other part of the problem is who in those countries has access to a decent internet connection...
I agree its win win as long as they keep the paid version ad free

Pelta88

This was always their intention. Keighley game award the industry. Netflix of gaming was always the goal and that includes leaning heavily into advertising.

This model will be in Western markets within a year after a “successful trial” in third world markets.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Watch ads to gain access to games.

I wonder how developers feel about this? It’s one thing to sell to people paying for a subscription service, but now your games will be played by people who watch a Taco Bell commercial.

damidu

as pathetic results continue to roll in, expect all sorts of gamepass nickel and diming. pressure must be high to produce results.
jeez they already have day -7 idiot editions for all of first party games now.
you early access and wait 3 months for fov sliders to be patched in.

Last edited:
Seems like a dumb business move.

So your going to give acces to your service to ppl who cant pay for it by showing them ads for shit they cant by?

What am i missing here?

Ozzie666

It'll come to full on paid gamepass aswell, don't you worry. Only a matter of time. I'm surprised more developers don't use product placement in their games.

Beechos

Oh hell nah as a paying gamepass cust the wait time queue to stream a game is getting ridiculous. Like over 10 min to queue up a game at times. Kinda defeats the purpose of play anywhere anytime.

Top Bottom