• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Timdog: Call of Duty Games may not be coming to Game Pass. Microsoft likely going full digital with ads on Game Pass.

TheGrat1

We know, we've always known.

559587.jpg

LMFAO

onQ123

Sad thing is that MS is now sitting on a treasure trove of old and new gaming IP's, Hopefully going third party means these IP's get a chance to sell more.

Tho going third party also means Sony has defacto monopoly on high end console hardware, thankfully I play on PC mostly.
Nope because this will actually open the door for more high end console like devices.

For example someone like Razer could release $2000 consoles & not worry about not selling enough to support the devs because the games will also be playable on lower end devices.

- XBOX consoles are dead because they have no noteworthy IP's to push it.
- Year after year we hear about games that are simple just not getting out or not what people expect them to be. hellblade 2 for example, the first one was god awful, 8 hours, digital only and how long in the make? its just dissapointing on every level.
- Everything is driving by profits, there games have no soul or simple reason to exist other then wanting to grow instead of making something that gamers care for. ( chasing trends and to late the party )
- Dev times take way to long over there and there seem to be no focus at all, on releasing steady amount of games.
- Buying failing game company's that haven't produced anything good in a decade+ isn't helping either. And they probably can't function as XBOX only solution because the company's will die within a year.
- Gamepass is nice on paper, but the reality is most people probably buy games on heavy discounts or when they are cheap anyway which makes gamepass not that useful, also games are not movies and take a long time to complete which makes gamepass value even less interesting even if it has a lot of games on it
- Most games on pc are services that keep on trucking over time, gamepass model isn't well suited for this.
- Microsoft missed a chance with the xbox series, to attack PC and basically provide a solution that's a console + windows PC with there xbox consoles. This would be a ultra cheap pc that plays all next gen games.
- after all the leaks even the die hard fans of xbox aren't so confident in there leadership that seem to shifting tones every single day whenever they feel like it.
- Recent firing showcases microsoft cares about nothing but profit and in general it gives off bad stigma towards gamers and devs in general to support such practises specially when there is competition and other ways to play.
- Gamepass would be a good addition towards gamers to get rid of subscription services from blizzard and get call of duty on it, but i doubt they going to do that because of profits loss.
- gamepass on playstation and nintendo could happen but the costs will probably be so high its probably not going to be sustainable.
- phil being caught endlessly lying is also not a good stigma for the company and its at this point probably better to replace him with somebody that is going to have a 10+ year plan.

This comment is spot on. You know the really sick thing about it is Microsoft and lying Phil actually did a great job marketing Series X as just that, a true PC alternative at an affordable price. What's the one thing PC has that consoles don't? True backwards compatibility. MS made a big deal about Series X' ability to revolutionize BC with FPS boosts done with minimal developer effort, auto hdr, and they hinted at auto resolution boosts ...what did they do instead? Shut down their BC program after a halfassed attempt at following this vision. They dropped this, the one great pro gamer initiative they had going for them once they set their sights on GP. It doesn't even make sense since having comprehensive BC would only bolster GP! That's the thing about MS though. Terrible management, only interested in following trends, not realizing the things console gamers really want because like you said they're not interested in what's good for gamers.

Basically, this idea that "xbox lost the gen that "mattered" with Xbox one because that's when people built up their libraries" is BS. There was LOTS of excitement for the Series consoles in 2020 because people saw that they built a great machine that would finally give them PC performance and features. Halo Infinite was going to be the perfect game to come out around launch too. They were poised to have a great gen! But they didn't keep ANY promises and squandered the Series X at every turn! Infinite was a disaster, no games that showed off SX true capabilities, fake gameplay trailers, gave up on BC (there are less Xbox One exclusives than ps4 that got patched for 4k/60 btw), Series S holding back SX, etc etc

Just one bad move after another in terms of what was initially promised to console gamers at the beginning of the generation.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
If these games don't sell well, it'll go even higher than $20.

I'd suspect its more likely that what they will do is to keep the AA-tier titles from first-party studios day#1, but stuff formerly from ABK and Zenimax will be on a timed basis or left out altogether.

Bottom line is what I've been arguing for a long time; that adding AAA titles from former multi-plat developers just doesn't add up financially, because ultimately that sacrifices a lot of immediate revenue for a build in GP engagement the value of which is diluted by being part of a larger pre-existing slate of content. So the translation of $ value isn't close to 1:1.

Saying all XGS titles would be day#1 was always going to be a promise kept for a finite amount of time, back in 2018 when it was a relatively small group of studios was somewhat plausible, but adding in titles from 2 of the biggest third-party publisher in existence is a whole other thing.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I'd suspect its more likely that what they will do is to keep the AA-tier titles from first-party studios day#1, but stuff formerly from ABK and Zenimax will be on a timed basis or left out altogether.

Bottom line is what I've been arguing for a long time; that adding AAA titles from former multi-plat developers just doesn't add up financially, because ultimately that sacrifices a lot of immediate revenue for a build in GP engagement the value of which is diluted by being part of a larger pre-existing slate of content. So the translation of $ value isn't close to 1:1.

Saying all XGS titles would be day#1 was always going to be a promise kept for a finite amount of time, back in 2018 when it was a relatively small group of studios was somewhat plausible, but adding in titles from 2 of the biggest third-party publisher in existence is a whole other thing.
Oh I totally expect that. Not every game will launch day one. Big ABK games may even miss altogether.

I expect a price increase on top of all that.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
If these games don't sell well, it'll go even higher than $20.

It's almost impossible for them not to sell well on PS5 and Switch 2 to be honest. Especially if they launch day one on those systems. A Gears Master collection would sell great on PS5. And so would Hellblade II and Indy Jones.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It's almost impossible for them not to sell well on PS5 and Switch 2 to be honest. Especially if they launch day one on those systems. A Gears Master collection would sell great on PS5. And so would Hellblade II and Indy Jones.
These games will have up their quality, however, if they want to sell well after competing with PS Studios titles. That's my point.

Games like Redfall, Starfield, Forza, Avowed will not sell well when they are up against Spider-Man 2, Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, Wolverine, Venom, God of War Ragnarok, Gran Turismo 7, Ghost of Tsushima 2, etc.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Slightly off topic but does anyone think that in the future when everything is streaming and sunscription services, that publishers would ever dare to put ad breaks in actual gameplay?. You know like you're playing a game for an hour then a 5min ad break starts and there is nothing you can do about it?, well except pay even more to have ads taken out etc.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Slightly off topic but does anyone think that in the future when everything is streaming and sunscription services, that publishers would ever dare to put ad breaks in actual gameplay?. You know like you're playing a game for an hour then a 5min ad break starts and there is nothing you can do about it?, well except pay even more to have ads taken out etc.
Very much possible. In fact, I expect it.

It'll be something like ads after chapter breaks. If games are, say, Game Pass or PS+ exclusives (not available on retail), we can expect time-based ads, as in a 30-second ad after every 20 minutes or so especially if you're subscribed to the lowest tier.

What a grim future to think about, man.

Stuart360

Very much possible. In fact, I expect it.

It'll be something like ads after chapter breaks. If games are, say, Game Pass or PS+ exclusives (not available on retail), we can expect time-based ads, as in a 30-second ad after every 20 minutes or so especially if you're subscribed to the lowest tier.

What a grim future to think about, man.
I think that would be the final straw for me, i'd go full retro/emulation.
f'm not against streaming, it fact i feel its inevitable, but stuff like ad breaks every hour or 30mins, end of the chapter or level like you said, i think that would be too much. Of course price would be a factor, and how much they would want for the 'higher package' that doesnt have ads, but at the same time i think principle would come into it for me.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I think that would be the final straw for me, i'd go full retro/emulation.
But how many retro games we'll play. Eventually we will need new games.
f'm not against streaming, it fact i feel its inevitable, but stuff like ad breaks every hour or 30mins, end of the chapter or level like you said, i think that would be too much. Of course price would be a factor, and how much they would want for the 'higher package' that doesnt have ads, but at the same time i think principle would come into it for me.
This is also one of the big reasons why I am against an all-digital future (even though I'm 100% digital right now). Physical games are important. Situations like these wouldn't become a reality if functioning v1.0 are available on physical discs.

An all-digital future will also empower streaming and subscription services to be the go-to medium for playing games -- another thing that I've been very vocally against, as you know.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

These games will have up their quality, however, if they want to sell well after competing with PS Studios titles. That's my point.

Games like Redfall, Starfield, Forza, Avowed will not sell well when they are up against Spider-Man 2, Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, Wolverine, Venom, God of War Ragnarok, Gran Turismo 7, Ghost of Tsushima 2, etc.

I think if spaced out well, Starfield, Forza (if it has VR support and big marketing), and Avowed would do well on PS worldwide. Not 10 million, but good sales. Like 3-5 million a peice.

Killjoy-NL

Depends on what you consider to be well.

I think the vast majority of the PS installbase will ignore even the big titles like Gears and Halo.

Hellblade is too niche.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Depends on what you consider to be well.

I think the vast majority of the PS installbase will ignore even the big titles like Gears and Halo.

Hellblade is too niche.

Nah. Those are legit good to great games depending on the title. PS gamers aren't all fanboys. They won't ignore it just to spite Xbox. Not saying it'll sell crazy, but I can see a legit\well done Gears collection selling 2-3 million on PS5 in 2024 if it happens. It'll be an easy $120 million (gross revenue) if it sells at an average price of $50.

Killjoy-NL

Nah. Those are legit good to great games depending on the title. PS gamers aren't all fanboys. They won't ignore it just to spite Xbox. Not saying it'll sell crazy, but I can see a legit\well done Gears collection selling 2-3 million on PS5 in 2024 if it happens. It'll be an easy $120 million (gross revenue) if it sells at an average price of $50.
I think has more to do with core gamers vs casuals.

Just going by that poll we had yesterday, even the biggest titles don't reach 30% interest.
And that's on a gaming forum where the biggest gaming nerds dwell.

Casuals care even less about those, especially since they're older titles.

I could be wrong though, ofcourse.

Last edited:

dem

The reality is... it wouldn't be hard to double or triple their copies sold just by opening them up to Playstation.

For a lot of titles its a no brainer.

It gets a lot trickier with others..

Last edited:
Top Bottom