• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S - 70% Game Pass Attach Ratio

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Via linked-in stuff.

70% attach ratio to game pass for a console seems really good / really high.

GAGP50mWMAAiBcf

Last edited:
Makes sense. People looking for a cheaper console are probably looking for a cheap way to get games. MS better hope that a whooooole lot of people think like that.
A company doesn't exactly make money from people being cheap. lol

Last edited:
Gotta say, the Series S is the only Xbox I have in my home, and paired with Game Pass it's a huge hit with the family who don't give a flying fuck about 4k/60fps/etc..

Mr Hyde

Series S should come with a 12-month GPU subscription when you buy it. Increase the adoption rate to 100%.

Mowcno

Not surprising at all. A digital only console that is often bundled with gamepass too. Frankly I'm amazed 30% aren't subscribed. What are they doing?

Mowcno

Also note this seems to be info from his time there at the end of 2021. So 70% ratio is from then when the installbase was still low. May still be the same now but may not be. Early adopters are likely to be more "all-in".

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So if I assume that 75% of Xbox owners are Series S owners (~18m). That's 12.6 million subs.

Incl. Core, we know via an assessment company from a few weeks ago that GP is roughly at 41.7~ million right now.

MS has not revealed any official numbers since Jan 2022.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
70% is pretty good. It shows that Xbox had good reasons to believe in their plan. Curious of why they left, or had been fired. Another good info is that the same person did the bundle strategy, or at least the operational part of it. I was under the belief that it was decided higher.

Mowcno

So if I assume that 75% of Xbox owners are Series S owners (~18m). That's 12.6 million subs.
The 75% figure has often been misused by articles. That number was specifically for April 2022 but lots of articles reported it as being lifetime when it's not. IGN eventually updated there article with this. "It's worth pointing out that while we don't know exactly what period these documents refer to (April 2022 sales alone, quarter to date, or year to date),"

The actual ratio is closer to 50-60%.

The info about the 70% gamepass is from his time at MS which he left in Nov 2021.

Even if this 70% figure is from his final month at MS Series S would only be at about 5-7m sold back then. So this 70% would be 3.5-5m subscribers on series S at that time.

Last edited:
Incl. Core, we know via an assessment company from a few weeks ago that GP is roughly at 41.7~ million right now.

MS has not revealed any official numbers since Jan 2022.

Something is not adding up. We know that Xbox has sold ~21 - 24m consoles. Are half the GP subs from PC players?

Papa_Wisdom

I am in the 30%. I'd like to see a breakdown of the numbers, I find 70% hard to believe.
Same, I don’t have enough free time for a subscription. I think I tried it once when I got a month free and it was all just too much. Still have a 3 month sub that came with my series x. Keep saying I’m going to use it but never do. Just wait until a game is cheap and buy it.

Deerock71

Not surprising at all. A digital only console that is often bundled with gamepass too. Frankly I'm amazed 30% aren't subscribed. What are they doing?
I do subscribe to GP, but I also have a LOT of old digital games from OG Xbox and the 360. If that's all I had, I'd still have plenty.

I am totally happy where graphics are right now just give me consoles that can push higher and more steady frame rates

Seriously the amount of games that just have me in awe of how great they look is pretty consistent now at least for the big AAA titles. TLOU 1 Part 1 I just played and got the plat and I couldn't stop thinking how great this looks.

dem

And that's why they won't be abandoning consoles..

If they ever break through.. its a gold mine.

King Dazzar

It makes sense. It's mostly die-hard Xbox fans that still buy an Xbox, so a high attach rate for GP seems logical.
The S is also the cheap console entry point. And in this case fully digital too.... GP would seem a natural step to go with buying one. I'm surprised its not even higher tbh.

wolffy66

Makes sense. People looking for a cheaper console are probably looking for a cheap way to get games. MS better hope that a whooooole lot of people think like that.
A company doesn't exactly make money from people being cheap. lol
I'd say they are counting on it

Top Bottom