• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest |OT| A Soft Heart for the Hard Core

I did it! I passed the ginso tree! Was that one of the harder parts of the game? Took me like 20-30 tries.

Of the major escape sequences, the Ginso tree is the hardest one, yes.

Hahahaha, but you're well on the way to perfection! :)

My tears are delicious to you guys, I just know it! :)

It will be mine. I ran it again after that run and was on my way to Mt Huru at around 1hr 8mins with 0 deaths and just went BLOOP and fell on some random spikes I've never died on before for no reason whatsoever. I think it was fatigue setting in. I'll be back at it tonight though.

yatesl

Finished the game a couple of days ago, really great. I just wish there was an easy way to go back and finish getting all the collectibles :( I missed 1 life orb (trapped in an area that I couldn't go back to) and 1 map stone. Now I have to redo everything....

There's a program on PC that lets you warp round the map to carry on. Nothing on Xbox though.

m23

Went to do a 100% run and then I got locked out of Forlord Ruins because I guess I went too far in the story. Shit.

More amazing fanart!
tumblr_nllpn3alDq1rx5vu5o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nlkiqp84cE1r9yk1lo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nlipw6HLne1tp8qleo2_540.jpg

tumblr_nlizg7Phtq1qhj3sso1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nlj5h3V5Ka1sno8n7o1_1280.png

tumblr_nljvdobFpM1ti5u78o1_1280.png

tumblr_nldau5akmA1sk51m7o1_500.jpg

tumblr_nlfig8kTSz1uoq4w8o1_500.jpg

tumblr_nlbssydQfX1rtse7jo1_1280.png

tumblr_nlc3j5cbDm1qmtfo5o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nl7y7g8ld21tkw270o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nl79n4IA5T1s1mxcdo1_500.gif

tumblr_nl602wNxIi1sqvusio1_1280.png

tumblr_nl6gfg2sUm1qic4lto1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nkri58I3Pe1qc0vu8o1_1280.png

Salz01

I'm about 75% complete and I'm starting to get irritated. The first half was simple platforming and it was nice to jump around the awesome environments while having to do a challenge here and there. But now the trial and error gameplay is starting to get grating especially with the wind escape. Because you have to go through it all over again when you die. The only thing pulling me through is wanting to progress and to see what next environment there is. That's it. Story and combat is pretty much nonexistent. The only character I like is the owl, and he/she is only sprinkled throughout.

The background art and FPS is smooth enough that makes me glad I got it. But story, characters and steep puzzle curve now at the end is holding me back from saying its a phenominal game.

Hynad

Banned
I'm about 75% complete and I'm starting to get irritated. The first half was simple platforming and it was nice to jump around the awesome environments while having to do a challenge here and there. But now the trial and error gameplay is starting to get grating especially with the wind escape. Because you have to go through it all over again when you die. The only thing pulling me through is wanting to progress and to see what next environment there is. That's it. Story and combat is pretty much nonexistent. The only character I like is the owl, and he/she is only sprinkled throughout.

The background art and FPS is smooth enough that makes me glad I got it. But story, characters and steep puzzle curve now at the end is holding me back from saying its a phenominal game.

Basically, you like easy casual games.

There are many games out there that hold your hand throughout and don't punish you when you fail. Maybe those are more in tune with your gaming needs? xD

jett

D-Member
Just finished it at 99%, 8 hours, 400+ deaths :p. Wonderful, beautiful game. I only have a few gripes, mostly that the escape sequences can be pretty frustrating, and that a certain section of the map remains gets becomes closed off to you permanently, making it impossible to get 100% map completion. No biggie. Great game still. Really, I can't say enough how gorgeous it is.

Vexidus

Trying to get all of the remaining hidden items before I finish the game, I'm stuck at this part (not a spoiler).

Can't push the block because it's right next to the hole with the thorny vines and I can't crawl over the rock. Did I somehow miss an obvious solution?

You were supposed to push the rock from the right side as far as you could. If you can't get back down that side, I would say you are screwed. That looks like a very edge case thing to have happen but yeah, that kinda sucks. The fact that were able to jump up onto the rock from the right side but not be able to get back down is unfortunate.

fardeenah

Banned
i tried to play rayman legends, i just can't play or enjoy it anymore, the controls feel so floaty and imprecise, i could play so well before ori. you guys kinda ruined it for me

Mdk7

Man, this game, this game... What a masterpiece.
I'm currently at 75%, loving every single moment of it.
Best game of 2015 so far, and astonishing platformer all around.
I really, really hope it sells well (even if i'm NOT that confident it will).

Vhalyar

You were supposed to push the rock from the right side as far as you could. If you can't get back down that side, I would say you are screwed. That looks like a very edge case thing to have happen but yeah, that kinda sucks. The fact that were able to jump up onto the rock from the right side but not be able to get back down is unfortunate.

That's what I thought, oh well. No biggie, I'll focus on finishing the game.

Your reasons for disliking the game are why I love it. The escape sequences in particular are awesome and have been the highlight of the game for me. Then again, I crave challenge in my platformers, so I can see why they'd be a turnoff for others.

That's what I thought, oh well. No biggie, I'll focus on finishing the game.

See if you can stomp to the left of the block. Stomping would knock it to the right. If you cant stomp to the left bc of the thorny hole try stomping on top of the rock but on its left hand top corner to nudge it far enough to the right to get down beside it.

Or you might be able to squeeze through the hole on the right with a backflip. You can squeeze through a much smaller hole in sorrow pass so maybe...

The TrueAchievements 100% Walkthrough is now officially published!

Check it out here if you're an achievement hunter struggling with any specific items. It has an alert at the beginning of each non-returnable area with the things you need to look out for in that area, which is great to prevent an extra playthrough from getting locked out of a collectible. The collectibles video is in chronological order as well. :)

http://www.trueachievements.com/Ori-and-the-Blind-Forest/walkthrough.htm

Rush_Khan

Just completed that bit where you're climbing from the water flood. I was watching the cutscene after completing it and then my laptop overheated and exploded. Does anyone know if it saves straight away, or will I have to do that segment again?

TheMAK

Banned
Just completed that bit where you're climbing from the water flood. I was watching the cutscene after completing it and then my laptop overheated and exploded. Does anyone know if it saves straight away, or will I have to do that segment again?

Your laptop just couldn't handle the game's greatness 😩

roytheone

So I just completed it and wow, what an amazing experience. Exceptional 2D graphics, an phenominal sound track, pitch perfect platforming controls, challenging difficulty that almost never gets frustrating, an emotionally very strong story and a huge amount of secrets and optional stuff makes this not only my new favorite indie game ever, but one of my favorite 2D games ever made. An incredible game on every front and an early candidate for my GOTY. Everybody that worked on it should be proud as hell for making a new modern classic.

However, one thing i didn't understand in the story:
Did the tree killed the baby owls by accident or is the tree just a dick that hates owls?

Grisby

Just finished. What a great ride. Beautiful art, good music, and some rather tight gameplay. I didn't expect to get some of the platforming sequences that I got and it was a nice surprise.

I think some of my cons have already been mentioned (warps, allowing you to play after). There were one or two points where I felt the framerate was the cause of my death. I can count the number of times on one hand, but I felt I had to bring it up. Some of the screens felt a little messy, visually, when trying to figure out where Ori was in relation to the level, but again, not that big of a deal.

From a story standpoint, it would be really cool to
play as the bird in the sequel. Mechanically I don't quite know how that would work (maybe she/he loses their wings for a bit?) but it was the first thing that popped into my head from the
end cutscene.

You guys did real good Moon Studios and Thomas. Thanks for one of my first early 2016 goty contenders.

Any timeline/confirmation on a patch for the XOne version? I was really loving this game, but then I got the bug where I can't jump out of the water. I'm stuck. :(

I've also had a few crashes when loading up my save. One time it actually force resetted my Xbox. Is this a known bug, or is my Xbox playing silly buggers?

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
About 70% completed. Loving every second of this game, even if it does kick my ass consistently. Only have one element left to restore now. I don't want it to end. Such an amazing game. Thinking this is my GOTY so far.

Deviousx

After days of putting it off because of school, I finally managed to finish it! 15 hours, 998 deaths (yes you read that right, most of those deaths came from trying to complete the damn Ginso Tree escape out of frustration) 11/12 life cells, 14/15 energy cells, and 26 ability cells. I managed to get 100% in most areas except Ginso Tree because I missed some spirit lights while escaping, Moon Grotto which seems to be stuck at 99% for some reason, and Forlan Ruins at 86%.

Damn good game. I just hated having to start from the beginning after dying in those escapes. But once you got through them, boy was it so satisfying. Moon Studios, you guys are amazing! One of the best games I've played this year so far. Definite GOTY contender. Hopefully Microsoft continue to support this game.

Btw, while watching the credits, I saw Austin Wintory (the guy who composed music for Journey) in the credits. What was his role in the development of this game? Did he help out with some of the music with Gareth Coker?

After days of putting it off because of school, I finally managed to finish it! 15 hours, 998 deaths (yes you read that right, most of those deaths came from trying to complete the damn Ginso Tree escape out of frustration) 11/12 life cells, 14/15 energy cells, and 26 ability cells. I managed to get 100% in most areas except Ginso Tree because I missed some spirit lights while escaping, Moon Grotto which seems to be stuck at 99% for some reason, and Forlan Ruins at 86%.

Damn good game. I just hated having to start from the beginning after dying in those escapes. But once you got through them, boy was it so satisfying. Moon Studios, you guys are amazing! One of the best games I've played this year so far. Definite GOTY contender. Hopefully Microsoft continue to support this game.

Thanks for the kind words!

You should try another run, just to see how much better you are at the game now that you've beaten it - Trust me, you'll finish the Ginso Tree section and wonder why you had such a hard time before :)

Btw, while watching the credits, I saw Austin Wintory (the guy who composed music for Journey) in the credits. What was his role in the development of this game? Did he help out with some of the music with Gareth Coker?

Gareth would have to answer that - I think he's talked quite a bit to Austin. Talent inspires talent :)

finished it tonight (96% complete, 296 deaths). really great game i loved it. took me just under 8 hours to complete which is perfect. the game never got boring. the pacing was basically perfect. i also like that each of the abilities is needed throughout the game once they are obtained. it's not like a "oh you got this thing to open this door, now tuck it away for the rest of the game".

the ending kind of
bummed me out. the owl was painted as a villain but was she!

i said when i first started playing i wasn't a fan of the music and i still feel that way after the game is over. i don't know, it's composed well but it's just not my style and nothing really memorable to me.

again, great game!

Absolutely amazing game in every aspect, story, graphics music and controls. You guys (Moon Studios) should be very proud of Ori, it's really fantastic experience. Water escape in Genso Tree was my absolutely favorite moment in the game, want it to never end!!! I knew Light of Nibel will be used in some great moment in the game but when I heard it during water escape section I was so hyped (boought soundtrack before the game and Light of Nibel was my favorite track) Got 100% run out of the way on first playthrough now it's time to hit speed run and no ability points in one run and leave no death for last.

I really hope this game will sell well and lots of people will get to play it cause it really deserve to do well and be played by everyone. I wish all the best to guys from Moon Studios and hope you gonna have more Ori for us in the future or if not Ori then some other amazing game.

Thank you for fantastic Game!!!

I really wish there was some kind of merchandise with Ori, would buy whatever just to have something with Ori.

I don't know where the best place to ask this would be so I'm going to ask here. Say I have a friend who is interested in making music for indie game developers. Where is the best place to direct him?

Welp first run of the night was another failure, but another personal best 1h31min37sec.

I can't wait to get this full-path no-glitch 0 death run outta the way so I can learn the sequence breaks and try to nail a sub-one hour run.

Mdk7

Beat the game yesterday, what a ride.
Simply magnificent, i loved every single aspect of it.
If i had to find a flaw (like with a gun pointed to my head), i'd say i wouldn't have minded to have a few boss fights.
The running phases were plain amazing, but yeah, a couple of boss fight would have worked great.

The highlight of the game was probably the platforming in the Ice temple, my jaw dropped at that part.

Exentryk

I have this game's wallpaper as my desktop background at work, and people that don't play games come ask me if this is a new Disney movie or something :p

I don't know where the best place to ask this would be so I'm going to ask here. Say I have a friend who is interested in making music for indie game developers. Where is the best place to direct him?

Just build a direct connection with indie developers. I think Gareth also contacted me out of the blue back then - Or I contacted him, I can't remember. Just build a few relationships and never be too afraid to say hi and show your stuff.

With Twitter, Facebook and so on and so on, it should be fairly easy to contact any developer.

wouwie

I decided to not wait for the patch and restart with a new save. And i got past the section this time (i could jump out of the water). Huray! I'm currently in the Misty Woods.

Beat the game yesterday, what a ride.
Simply magnificent, i loved every single aspect of it.
If i had to find a flaw (like with a gun pointed to my head), i'd say i wouldn't have minded to have a few boss fights.
The running phases were plain amazing, but yeah, a couple of boss fight would have worked great.

I really didn't like how Bosses were done in games like Super Metroid or A Link to the Past - And I love these games. I didn't want to make yet another game where you fight a giant octopus that has a red eye that you have to hit 3 times... that's why we wanted to have these frantic, thrilling sequences that are focused on the core of what Ori is all about: Platforming.

We'll see, I don't want to do traditional 8/16bit style boss battles in the games we're making, but I sure liked how Shadow of the Colossus treated bosses... ;)

The highlight of the game was probably the platforming in the Ice temple, my jaw dropped at that part.

Yeah, I love the Forlorn Ruins and the gravity mechanics as well. The gravity stuff is so cool that I think it'd be fun to make an entire game based on just that. We had quite a lot of prototype levels where the entire level became a puzzle thanks to the awesome gravity mechanics :)

I really didn't like how Bosses were done in games like Super Metroid or A Link to the Past - And I love these games. I didn't want to make yet another game where you fight a giant octopus that has a red eye that you have to hit 3 times... that's why we wanted to have these frantic, thrilling sequences that are focused on the core of what Ori is all about: Platforming.

We'll see, I don't want to do traditional 8/16bit style boss battles in the games we're making, but I sure liked how Shadow of the Colossus treated bosses... ;)

i don't think it needs giant bosses with one weak spot in a closed arena, especially because you don't want to take away from the main antagonist. but rather, tie in the platforming with a strong enemy where you need to get creative with stomping on platforms or bashing and charging around the arena to defeat them. the glowing red and rhino guys weren't that strong on their own, but when put in a dangerous environment, the player was forced to get creative to tackle them. i think that can be expanded upon.

Mdk7

Interesting point of view.
The funny thing is that while i was reading your post, when i got to the part where you wrote "you fight a giant octopus that has a red eye that you have to hit 3 times" i imagined that scene, with that amazing art direction of your (i'm also a sucker for things with tentacles!) and i went like HELL YEAH!!! in my head, LOL.
To each his own, i guess. :D

Anyway, not that i minded those sequences, really at all: the tree and the final one were truly perfect, in particular i loved the part in the epilogue when
you jump right into the water at the bottom - BTW, i really dig the way you portrayed the water, with that amazing effect for the surface that gives you a bit of an aquarium vibe - and the owl comes at you, stunning idea and even better execution.

Yeah, I love the Forlorn Ruins and the gravity mechanics as well. The gravity stuff is so cool that I think it'd be fun to make an entire game based on just that. We had quite a lot of prototype levels where the entire level became a puzzle thanks to the awesome gravity mechanics :)
That would work really well.
It was hard at first, the controls were tricky (but because of the shift in perspective, the controls were just as amazing as usual!), but when i got better at it it was so satisfying.

I'm just curious: are you already working on something else?

Top Bottom