• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest |OT| A Soft Heart for the Hard Core

I'm going to go against the consensus here and say I don't want an "Ori 2" as I believe the story wraps itself up nicely and I don't feel a need to return to that world. It would be great to see them create something in an entirely different world with new characters and a brand new tale.

Exentryk

In fact, I won't lie, the Ginso Tree escape is my favourite part of the game. The level design, the tension, and the amazing music playing makes this a flawless gaming moment.

I agree. Best part of the game. I also like how the next immediate area after Ginso Tree is a nice relaxing place with clear waters and happy music. Like the game says, you've just completed a tough challenge, so relax a while :D

Anteater

Ori's platforming feels incredibly tight to me. Also, what "thing" did you get? The game just feels better and better with each new ability?

Maybe he's experiencing input lag, I haven't played the game but I've read a few pages back that the game doesn't feel good if it has vsync on due to massive input lag. Perhaps he could try turning it off.

Dad

The dungeons are locked out once you complete them, so make sure you get everything before finishing them. It's one of the biggest complaints against the game.

Can you get them all in one go or do they require certain upgrades for some of them?

Can you get them all in one go or do they require certain upgrades for some of them?

That's a good question. I got 100% on my first playthrough but never encountered anything I couldn't attain in any of the dungeons. I didn't grind or anything, either.

ubercheez

Just finished the game, and what a beautiful ride it was. That last escape sequence was brutal, but oh so satisfying when I got through it.

I seriously had no idea how intense the gameplay would be for this going in, since I pretty much bought it for the aesthetics alone. I got a little frustrated at the Ginso escape, not gonna lie... but I think I just didn't quite have the feel for the bash skill at that point. I'd probably enjoy it much more if I did it again. Thankfully, the music for that sequence was epic, so that helped me keep at it.

Now that I've beaten it, I'm looking forward to watching some sweeeeet speedruns.

Thanks for an amazing game, Moon Studios. I'll be waiting for the next one!

mike4001_

Just finished the game, and what a beautiful ride it was. That last escape sequence was brutal, but oh so satisfying when I got through it.

I actually found the last sequence the easiest one.

You didn´t have to do everything right to the point and it was therefore more forgiving.

ubercheez

I actually found the last sequence the easiest one.

You didn´t have to do everything right to the point and it was therefore more forgiving.

Honestly, it was mostly the very last vertical bit.
I didn't realize the falling rocks were bashable, so I kept trying to wall jump up.
Having to redo the entire thing continually to get back there made it feel like a grind.

The second escape was way easier in my book.

Hynad

Banned
Honestly, it was mostly the very last vertical bit.
I didn't realize the falling rocks were bashable, so I kept trying to wall jump up.
Having to redo the entire thing continually to get back there made it feel like a grind.

The second escape was way easier in my book.

You're not the first one to say that you didn't realize you could bash the falling rocks. But there's an area in the Sorrow Path where you have to bash falling rocks to reach the Map Stone Fragment...

Well I did attain my goal of a new personal best, which now sits at 1h46min11sec.

However, I CHOKED SO HARD in Mt Huru. I did Forlorn Ruins without dying, entered Mt Huru with 10 deaths on record, then proceeded to die repeatedly in Mt Huru and lost around 10 minutes because of it.

I'm gonna try again tomorrow night.... goal is 1h35min clear time with no glitches/sequence breaks.

Hynad

Banned
Well I did attain my goal of a new personal best, which now sits at 1h46min11sec.

However, I CHOKED SO HARD in Mt Huru. I did Forlorn Ruins without dying, entered Mt Huru with 10 deaths on record, then proceeded to die repeatedly in Mt Huru and lost around 10 minutes because of it.

I'm gonna try again tomorrow night.... goal is 1h35min clear time with no glitches/sequence breaks.

I am not there yet. But when I'll be set, I intend on doing my speed runs without glitching or abusing things that weren't intended in the game, as I feel using those is a dishonest way of claiming a best time. I've seen people save, get out of their game, and go back in right away to cheat over some sequences (like the earlier parts with Gumo escaping with the element of water)... When they get back in, they cheat the game by having Ori walking through the animated sequence and to me, that's just cheating.

Case in point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjLMe4BDlBk (at the 10:10 mark)

I feel more satisfied with myself when I reach a good time without using any sort of cheats or abuse.

Try a speed / no death run - it's the most thrilling experience you'll have - Finishing the last section as fast as possible while trying to not take any damage... woof! :D

Hynad

Banned
Try a speed / no death run - it's the most thrilling experience you'll have - Finishing the last section as fast as possible while trying to not take any damage... woof! :D

I will get there eventually. My first game, if I remember right, I had a little upward of 300 deaths. On my second game, I reached the end with 140 deaths. The third time, I made it with 103 deaths.

I didn't try to train or anything, I was playing the same reckless way, but because I had a better sense of the game, I was doing better.

I made sure to keep a save file before every parts that gave me problems, so that I can practice until I excel at them (and because they're so damn fun!).

So a no death run will come soon enough. I have 3 achievements missing:
Supersonic, Immortal, and Elite.

Right now, the one I'm trying to tackle is Elite.

I am keeping the most excruciating one (Immortal) for when I'm really good at the game. And I think a no Ability Point spent run will help me achieve that.

Side note: It's a shame that some people cheated to get the fast time they got. Cheating the game to jump over animated sequences really shouldn't be doable.

Some day my friend.... some day.

I'm focusing on getting my best speedrunning down without any glitches, then work on single-segment 0 deaths.... then combine the two. That will be ..... I dread it.

I will get there eventually. My first game, if I remember right, I had a little upward of 300 deaths. On my second game, I reached the end with 140 deaths. The third time, I made it with 103 deaths.

I didn't try to train or anything, I was playing the same reckless way, but because I had a better sense of the game, I was doing better.

I made sure to keep a save file because every parts that gave me problems, so that I can practice until I excel at them (and because they're so damn fun!).

So a no death run will come soon enough. I have 3 achievements missing:
Supersonic, Immortal, and Elite.

Right now, the one I'm trying to tackle is Elite.

I am keeping the most excruciating one (Immortal) for when I'm really good at the game. And I think a no Ability Point spent run will help me achieve that.

Side note: It's a shame that some people cheated to get the fast time they got. Cheating the game to jump over animated sequences really shouldn't be doable.

I wouldn't call it cheating. There are different categories of speed running. Using glitches that exist within the game without using any sort of external programs or hacks is still 'legit' within the speed running community. It's just like the Super Mario any % speed runs, they use glitches (hell one major one in Super Mario World on the SNES requires essentially WRITING CODE to the game's memory by means of the way you move mario and the enemies around, and was only recently accomplished by a human using an actual SNES controller and hardware instead of an emulator). Different strokes for different folks. I'm trying to master the speed run with no glitches. After that I'll tackle any % running. :)

Exentryk

Maybe he's experiencing input lag, I haven't played the game but I've read a few pages back that the game doesn't feel good if it has vsync on due to massive input lag. Perhaps he could try turning it off.

I played on PC fullscreen with vsync and didn't have any issues at all.

a speed run with
-no save states
-no deaths
-no sequence skips

is the only one i'm interested in. one flawless shot from beginning to end; everything else doesn't count.

Man, it makes me so happy to see all the amazing fan-art!

ori_by_raichiyo33-d8mavmo.jpg

ori_and_the_blind_forest_by_bewareitbites-d8lbb2t.jpg

ori_and_the_blind_forest_by_arneipia-d8ln36q.png

ori_and_the_blind_forest_fan_art_by_kittrix-d81tal5.png

ori_and_the_blind_forest_fan_art_by_arcaneavis-d81bt7x.png

ori_by_kittrix-d8mafz5.png

ori_and_the_blind_forest_by_thechildinthecorner-d7m1il5.png

ori_and_the_blind_forest_by_xygowenxy-d871ux2.png

ori_and_the_blind_forest_by_rennyrensaur-d7x6lx7.jpg

ori_and_the_blind_forest_by_vani_fox-d8lflz4.jpg

ori_doodles_by_pandoraz_kyle-d8logfl.png

ori_and_the_blind_forest_sculpt_1_by_kylemillard-d8dpmoo.jpg

ori_and_the_blind_forest_by_nekr0ns-d8lfju4.png

ori_and_the_blind_forest__forthcoming_by_rennyrensaur-d8lxdra.jpg

ori_and_the_blind_forest_by_akaonic-d8fbp2v.png

We truly have some of the best fans out there!!!! :)

Finally 100%'ed the game yesterday afternoon. Had to do six total runs overall. First run was just the toes in the water; second run was a test for speed run and some mopup; third was an actual speed run with no death attempt (died 30-ish times); fourth was my no death attempt that failed so I went with a 100% run instead and still missed 2 energy and 3 secrets; fifth run was a no death run!; sixth was the actual 100% run with all energy and secret locations for my last two achievements.

m23

Finished the game last night. Amazing experience, such a beautiful game. Can't wait for the next game from Moon Studios.

wouwie

Instead of continuing waiting for the patch, i think i will restart with a new save tonight. Who knows, i might be lucky this time and encounter no bugs.

Finally 100%'ed the game yesterday afternoon. Had to do six total runs overall. First run was just the toes in the water; second run was a test for speed run and some mopup; third was an actual speed run with no death attempt (died 30-ish times); fourth was my no death attempt that failed so I went with a 100% run instead and still missed 2 energy and 3 secrets; fifth run was a no death run!; sixth was the actual 100% run with all energy and secret locations for my last two achievements.

Congratulations, you're awesome :)

Vexidus

I finished the game last night and have to say that the last escape was by far the easiest, and should have ramped up more in my opinion. Maybe that is just because I had the skills so mastered by that point. I think that reason is why the first escape seemed so difficult, because nothing prior to it taxed your skills so much.

Everything else has been said, so I won't repeat myself, but what an incredible game!

GuessWho

this game is amazing, but the difficulty is crazy for my casual hands. I'm trying to escape the ginso tree....fuck that...urgh. It never ends!

Doffen

Finally got to play through this beautiful game. The graphics, controller, music, everything just fits so perfectly together.
I take my hat off to Moon Studios, this is a masterpiece in my eyes.

I4td8PM.gif

I can't wait to see what's next!

roytheone

Well, I didn't realize misty woods was one of those "can't return to it" area's and thus I missed an energy cell forever. Having collectibles in areas you can't return to is one of the few complaints I have with this game. On a positive note, I almost completed the Forlorn ruins and the platforming/puzzles there are incredible.

Well, I didn't realize misty woods was one of those "can't return to it" area's and thus I missed an energy cell forever. Having collectibles in areas you can't return to is one of the few complaints I have with this game. On a positive note, I almost completed the Forlorn ruins and the platforming/puzzles there are incredible.

Duly noted. For now, you can always get all the extras on your second run - Ori was designed in a similar way to Super Metroid, etc. - It's fun to play again if you already know your way around Nibel! :)

Brakke

Banned
this game is amazing, but the difficulty is crazy for my casual hands. I'm trying to escape the ginso tree....fuck that...urgh. It never ends!

It's tough! Ignore ability orbs. Also, the water doesn't rise at a constant rate. There's a couple parts you should actually stand still to bait out a enemy/shot as a dash point.

rSpooky

Picked it up last night.. truly amazing. NO regrets.. But I am already stuck though.. it will take me a while to get through the whole thing.. and that's OK. Also if I could draw like that I would also make Ori fan art the character designs are adorable... but I can't :( Love looking at other peoples work though :)

Has anyone had mount guru glitch? I checked a guide not knowing what to do, I've completed all rooms but it didn't get rid of the lava so I can't do anything progression wise now. If I can't continue I'll be mega pissed.

b0bbyJ03

Im about 3 and a half hours in and this game is awesome. One thing tho, are there any tricks to fix the random slowdown that occurs? I've got the steam version.

Vexidus

Im about 3 and a half hours in and this game is awesome. One thing tho, are there any tricks to fix the random slowdown that occurs? I've got the steam version.

Not really. Some people say running it in windowed mode helps. There is a patch coming that will fix many technical issues and glitches people are having.

Gibbles17

Finished the game a few nights ago, easily one of my favorites of all time. Loved every second from start to finish, perfect length as well. Girlfriend cried at least 3 times throughout and is itching to try the game for herself. Thank God for the PC release, actually considered getting an X1 for this.

Someone clear up the ending for me though, girlfriend and I had the same interpretation but we're curious of the general consensus. Ending spoilers:

Did Ori come back to life? You see Ori's people reviving near the tree with one of them sitting on a branch as it's occurring. Is this Ori? Or another member of her species? Stands to reason that she would be reborn if the others are but I was thrown off by Gumo comforting Naru before she goes back to the egg. Thinking about it, might be the case that Ori does come back but has yet to meet up with Naru and Gumo. Intentionally ambiguous perhaps? Or am I reading too much into it?

Finished the game a few nights ago, easily one of my favorites of all time. Loved every second from start to finish, perfect length as well. Girlfriend cried at least 3 times throughout and is itching to try the game for herself. Thank God for the PC release, actually considered getting an X1 for this.

Someone clear up the ending for me though, girlfriend and I had the same interpretation but we're curious of the general consensus. Ending spoilers:

Did Ori come back to life? You see Ori's people reviving near the tree with one of them sitting on a branch as it's occurring. Is this Ori? Or another member of her species? Stands to reason that she would be reborn if the others are but I was thrown off by Gumo comforting Naru before she goes back to the egg. Thinking about it, might be the case that Ori does come back but has yet to meet up with Naru and Gumo. Intentionally ambiguous perhaps? Or am I reading too much into it?

I don't think Ori died. It's clearly him looking at the tree at the end of the game. Gumo is probably comforting Naru because Ori returned home home and Naru misses him.

In case anyone Roberthas experienced the glitch I mentioned it seems that they are patching it.. Hopefully it'll solve my problem, I'm not restarting if not.

Top Bottom