• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #162 - "No Man's Land"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

Nah. I can't read anything that's poorly written no matter how good the ideas are. The writing needs to be at least a certain level for me to get to those ideas.

Red

Good writing is an aesthetic pleasure, but without good content it is insubstantial. Of course it's best to have both, but given the choice I will always pick the well-told story over a poorly told, well-written one.

Cyan

Banned
I mean, you need at least a solid baseline of skill with prose to be readable, good story or not. And the two entwine together--without at least decent writing, dialogue is going to fall flat and characters aren't going to be believable, and that's going to undermine your storytelling.

I sort of view it like speechmaking. You can have good content, but your presentation needs to be at least competent or the content just goes to waste. Think of GWB trying to give a deep and meaningful speech. It's just not going to happen.

Now, given a basic level of competency, I usually prefer the well-told story with workmanlike prose over the beautifully written story with a serviceable plot. But you need some of both!

Red

Communication is the only limit. I had a friend with Down syndrome who could tell a great story. He was 32 and spoke like a 10 year old. I've heard good stories from drunks and addicts. They didn't need skill with words to say something compelling.

I would love for GWB to deliver a profound speech. Even if he failed, that would be something worth remembering. Starts and stumbles impress themselves on story and can make it better. His uncertainty and malapropisms tell a story themselves.

Cyan

Banned
What would happen if they wrote those stories down? :p

Tone and tempo and body language in physical storytelling cover a lot of the same territory prose does in writing. And in the sorts of cases you're describing, with the difficulty of getting the story parsed out easily ascribable to something physical, it's probably easier to sit through than bad prose that just rounds off to "this person can't write."

I dunno, man. I can't think of any examples off the top of my head of something where actively bad prose writing was overcome by good storytelling.

Red

You're probably right. I hesitate to rule out compelling but poorly written prose, but I can only think of oral stories to support my point.

Mike M

Nick N
Yeah, I think there's a critical distinction in some physically and directly telling you a story vs. reading a transcript of it.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I do really like the idea tough of "I've been told great stories by drunks." For some reason its really sticking with me.

Also writing quality always beats narrative quality, at least in literary battles. Great stories that have been told before can be given new life if written as such. /I think The Road by Mccarthy is the perfect example.

Ashes

Banned
@Ashes: The Dead is an old classic, but I've always thought Joyce was a little too puzzling for casual reading. His stories beg for critical analysis and don't offer much up on first, second, or even third readings..
The Dead is the only story in all of Dubliners that really spoke to a profound world, the rest spoke to the profane.

Trust Joyce to have profoundness resonate amidst the mundane.

Far too many of us walk through our lives without looking to stretch ourselves; dead and buried in the routine. Looking for control, when we ought to really, perhaps, be mindful of the ever-vanishing present.

Red

Trust Joyce to have profoundness resonate amidst the mundane.

Far too many of us walk through our lives without looking to stretch ourselves; dead and buried in the routine. Looking for control, when we ought to really, perhaps, be mindful of the ever-vanishing present.

Have you seen the movie Under the Skin? It ends almost exactly the same way as The Dead. I haven't seen anyone mention that before, but it's so obvious it may as well scream at the audience. The last page of the dead could be narrated over the final scene of Under the Skin, they are that similar, though the way UtS arrives there is far different.

Cyan

Banned
Oh wow, I had to cut around 700 last challenge I did and it was toughhh. But uh... good luck! :D

I got a little over-excited I guess. This is the first thing I've written in a setting I've been thinking about for a while now. Which... is probably also why it reads more like the first chapter of a novel than like a short story.

Oh well, I'll chop the shit out of it and see if I can make it reasonable.

Aaron

I got a little over-excited I guess. This is the first thing I've written in a setting I've been thinking about for a while now. Which... is probably also why it reads more like the first chapter of a novel than like a short story.

Oh well, I'll chop the shit out of it and see if I can make it reasonable.
Save the extra words for DLC.

I don't do much flash fiction, so here goes nothing. I had an idea for a story the other day, but I don't have time to take on a full writing project.This theme seems to fit with my idea a little so I put something together for the challenge.

Let me know if I'm doing this right:

This Augmented Life

Usual password:

Cyan

Banned
Or edit the OP and call it a day ;)

oehzqau.gif

Izuna

Banned
I did so well with the idea, but the execution I'm like 50%.

Thankfully I am in Tokyo now so I can fully concentrate on it.

I came up with a couple of interactions I decided on keeping for later works though.

I started writing something for this, but I haven't written anything fiction in years and it's pretty shit. I'm at like 700 words atm. Not sure if I should finish just to get feedback or wait for the next one. It did feel good to be writing something that wasn't a research paper or lit review

Cyan

Banned
I started writing something for this, but I haven't written anything fiction in years and it's pretty shit. I'm at like 700 words atm. Not sure if I should finish just to get feedback or wait for the next one. It did feel good to be writing something that wasn't a research paper or lit review

Finish! My experience has been that the important thing isn't whether it's good, but whether it's done.

After all, it can always become good later!

Tangent

Finish! My experience has been that the important thing isn't whether it's good, but whether it's done.

After all, it can always become good later!

It can always become good later, or if you're lazy, you can always just forget it later!

A Dead Place - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-B9VGEULysH3Q2NK7-qcU8HUIsStfvxE5d16K3lyR04/edit?usp=sharing

Well, it's short, simple, and not very good, but I needed to write something. Been too long since I've written anything fiction. I suck at dialogue so that's more focused on establishing the environment. Half way through, I got the idea that it would worked much better as a log from an exploration team or something, but it was too late to start over. Maybe next time. Anyway, I just wanted to finally take part here and get into writing again. Eager to check out the other submissions

Edit: and I went with the "an area not suitable for occupation or habitation" definition of no man's land

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Is there like a common password everyone uses?

And is it okay that I used Google Docs? I see everyone else is using Dropbox

google docs is fine, I just use dropbox because I can lock documents with it and maybe send a story to a place later. There is a sort of communal password though. Quote this to see it. It'll be bellow. You don't have to use a password though. It's your choice how you want to submit your story.

Tangent

BTW, am I allowed to vote if I don't write a story?

I'm always impressed that people can read all the stories in a weekend even if they haven't submitted anything. Sign of a very avid reader and therefore a strong writer.

:D (Pretty sure I was thinking of you when I wrote that. ;) )
:D :D

What would happen if they wrote those stories down? :p

Tone and tempo and body language in physical storytelling cover a lot of the same territory prose does in writing. And in the sorts of cases you're describing, with the difficulty of getting the story parsed out easily ascribable to something physical, it's probably easier to sit through than bad prose that just rounds off to "this person can't write."

I dunno, man. I can't think of any examples off the top of my head of something where actively bad prose writing was overcome by good storytelling.

I think I agree, but sometimes it seems like it'd be helpful if people wrote exactly what they said. I think this happens to kids (and doctoral students) all the time. They'll say, "I don't know what to write." So you respond, "Well, describe to me what you think you're trying to say." Then they say something so perfectly without trying to "be" or "do" anything so it's 100% genuine. And then you respond, "Perfect. Write down exactly what you said." I think this especially holds true for radio journalists who should be as naturalistic as possible, rather than trying to "write" in a certain way. But I do get that radio journalism is a very different medium than short story writing.

But again, I think I agree with you, I'm just playing devil's advocate! (I can't help myself. It's been a lifelong problem of mine.)

With that, I think I'm gonna conk out now and take advantage of the grace period. I've been spending the last few hours pretending to work on my story and it's ridiculous, and I think it's getting worse! I'm hoping sleep will help!

Sethista

Search for Beauty

No password

My first solo entry. Will talk in more detail about it after the feedbacks come in,

It was very fun to do this, including the hang out. Will try to participate much more often.

Cyan

Banned
70 more words to cut. So close, but the closer I get the harder it is to cut things. Urk. Almost there!

Izuna

Banned
Okay so I have what, 3 hours to write the final scene? I gotta go eat so I will finish it on my phone. Whether I get it in time for voting or not, I'm happy with it. =)

I'm always impressed that people can read all the stories in a weekend even if they haven't submitted anything. Sign of a very avid reader and therefore a strong writer
I don't think that's necessarily true. One can simply have a lot of free time, and enjoy reading, but not writing. Browsing through the stories here, it really isn't that many pages to read all together.

Ashes

Banned
I don't think that's necessarily true. One can simply have a lot of free time, and enjoy reading, but not writing. Browsing through the stories here, it really isn't that many pages to read all together.

It's a twenty thousand words novella every fortnight. I can see why some would be put off.

Izuna

Banned
About 2000 Words

You Weren't Supposed to Find Us

Okay so, I didn't have time to proof read the final half and I grossly underestimated the word count. I had to cut out two wole dislogues and replace them with narrated exposition.

Regardless, I am happy with this. It is clear. The theme is touched a little, mentioned once, but replaced with the term "new world".

Hope you guys enjoy it!

Ward

Title: Norman Lund

Synopsis: Norman just transferred to a new school, but this isn't a typical school. Norman navigates classes, finds a helpful girl who won't share her name, and encounters fellow classmate Matthew McConaughey who realizes it's about the big picture to save the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom