• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 games. 1 Year. 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sakwoff

List post

Game 8: KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND - probably 2 hours (Vita (PSP)) ★★☆☆☆

(On Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded)
This game, like other Capcom Beat 'em Ups, does not really work when removed from an arcade context. Things you need: actual stakes (via quarters you invest), arcade environment, other players. Things you don't have playing this version alone: all of these. You could impose a credit limit on yourself, which is something I frequently do playing Shmups, but eh... don't feel motivated to actually get good in this game. Watching the player characters change appearance when leveling up was kinda cool though.

Game 9: KING OF DRAGONS - probably 2 hours (Vita (PSP)) ★★★☆☆

(On Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded)
I actually had way more fun with this one, even though the same problems still apply. Greater enemy variety makes for more interesting encounters, and playing as ranged characters is pretty fun for a change.

Onyar

Original Post

Infamous First Light (PS4) - 22/03/15
Beautiful game, that´s the best adjective I could give to this game. And the game knows that, for this reason it have a camera mode and the effects of the powers have a big role.
The gameplay was fun for me, but nothing more, and the story I couldn´t care less but this is not an essential thing that I want to find in a DLC. I get it with the PS+ deal so the price was really good for me. I can´t complain with this game it just gave me what I expected.
I will say it´s for people who actually enjoyed Second Son, but I´m not sure about this because I haven´t play it, it´s just a game for people who like modern like beat'em ups with an open city in the middle and appreciate good visuals.

6. Whomp 'Em

image.jpg

Syrus

Banned
Update 3:

Game 6: Wolfenstein The New Order

goddamn this game is good and beautiful. A must have for any shooter fan for sure. Story is good too!

mp1990

Banned
OG Post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=145803883&postcount=448

#11 Guacamelee: Super Turbo Championship Edition
Guacamelee_STCE_characters_image.jpg

Fourth time i replayed this one,and,well,it's amazing as always. I still laugh at the jokes,even the ''mexicanized'' memes,i still love the combat,the powers,it still one of my favorite games ever. I replayed it because it's one of the games i fell the surge of replaying it annually,and i wanted to beat my best time,and now i'm on the 28 position in the worldwide leardboard,with only 3 hours to complete it.

#12 Mario Kart 8
mario_kart_8_tournament.jpg

I thought a lot before thinking if i really finished this game,because hell,i won't stop playing it for a long time. Seriously,as my first Wii U game i've completed,MK8 is just fantastic. The OST,the track designs,the graphics,everything,made me play always with an smile in the face,it's like Nintendo put some weird magic on their games. I still didn't finished all cups on 150cc and 3 star them,and didn't even touched the online,but i'll probably be playing this one for a hell lot of time.

I've been trying to balance my game time between all my plataforms (PS4,Wii U,3DS and a bit of PC),because i saw that i was focusing too much on my PS4 and my Wii U was a bit out of use,but now i'll try to play the same number of hours on all consoles,so i can vary the style of games i'll play.

Updated my post: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=144699142
PSA: Editing this was a mess so there may be some serious fuck ups haha. I also deleted the "Games I plan on starting next" and "All games I want to beat this year" section. Not really worth it. :p

Backlogged Games
PT = Playthrough. So If something says  1PT it means its my first time ever playing it, 2PT then that means its my second time playing and beating the game. So on and so forth.
(lol) Means I am atleast 95% sure I'll never beat that game.
BOLDED STUFF IS NEW ADDITIONS SINCE LAST UPDATE. I MAY NOT UNBOLD ARE OLD STUFF DUE TO MISSING IT...

Games Beaten:
1: Ikachan (3DS) (1PT)
Started playing Thursday January 1st 2015 12:38 AM
Finished playing Thursday January 1st 2015 2:57 PM
Play Time: 1:21
A short but very fun game. It ma be short, but its full on gameplay and its worth it if you can get it on sale for $2-$3 like I did.

2: Yoshi's Island (3DS/GBA) (3PT) (100%)
Started playing Friday December 16th 2011
Finished playing Sunday January 4th 2015 1:38 AM
Total Play Time: 22:49
Play Time in 2015: 6:04
Play Time in 2014: 10:26
Play Time in 2013: 2:07
Play Time in 2012 & 2011: Not in Top 30 so unavailable. :(
Yoshi's Island was my favorite game when  was young and ts still one of my favorites. Going back to its charming world with the best graphics style a2D platformer can have was great. I always 100% this game but never the secret/extra levels. Those levels and a few of the base levels pushed at my insanity and lessened the fun haha. When I replay it I gotta cut those extra levels out. I also guess that I died 285 times if thats what itmeant at the end. O_O *ahem* Now I must 100% Yoshi's New Island and Yoshi's Wooly World this year...oh noes.

3: Xeodrifter (3DS) (1PT)
Started playing Thursday December 18th 2014 8:34 PM
Finished playing Saturday December 20th 2014 5:37 PM
Started 100% playthough on Tuesday January 13th 2015 7:01 PM
Finished collecing all but one thing on Wednesday January 14th 2015 5:03 PM
Playtime: 2:31 - 100% Playtime: 3:41
Playtime for 100%/Playtime for 2015:1:10
Really great Metroidvania. A bit too short for its price, but I loved the fact that it was so short since it prevented me from getting lost unlike most Metroidvanias...

4: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (WiiU) (2PT)
Started Friday October 4th 2013 12:08 PM
Finished playing Thursday January 15th 2015 8:33 PM
Play Time: 24:58
Play Time in 2015: 11:31
Loved this when I first played it in 2003. Dunno why it took me so long on the replay, lots of little parts that just made me want to quit but overall I enjoyed it alot!

5: Castlevania (NES) (1PT) (Second Attempt. First was on Wii VC)
Started playing Friday January 30th 2015 9:07 PM
Finished playing Monday February 9th 2015 5:00 PM
Play Time: 1:15
Like the music and style but way to hard for me. Thank you based restore points.

6: Gunman Clive (3DS) (2PT)
Gunman Clive - Easy
Started playing Friday February 13th 2015 11:58 PM
Finished playing Saturday Friday February 14th 2015 5:23 PM
Play Time: 0:40
Retries: 9

7: Gunman Clive 2 (3DS) (1PT)
Gunman Clive - Easy
Started playing Saturday Friday February 14th 2015 5:23 PM
Finished playing Sunday February 15th 2015 10:22 PM
Play Time: 1:03
Retries: 29
Both Gunman Clive 1 & 2 are very short, but it never gets boring, it never stops being fun. highly recommended on both and play them in order.

8: Donkey Kong Country (WiiU/SNES) (1PT, but played through many times as a kid. Furthest ever gotten was Ice World.) (8/52)
Started playing Friday February 27th 2015 12:37 AM
Finished playing Sunday March 1st 2015 5:06 PM
Play Time: 3:06
Times Played 8
Never beat it, but played almost to the end so much as a kid. (Ice World) Great nostalgia trip right here. Great game still holds up as always. :)

9: Persona 4: Golden (PSV) (1PT)
Started playing Friday January 9th 2015 2:17 PM
Finished playing Wednesday March 4th 2015 8:25 PM
Play Time: 89:23
What can I say? My first Persona game and its now one of my favorite games of all time, the dungeons got a bit too grindy at the end (played on normal) so I will be choosing easy for future Persona games since the story is the main part and not gameplay. The story was absolutely fantastic.

10: Corpse Party: Book of Shadows (PSV/PSP) (1PT)
Started playing Wednesday March 4th 2015 9:38 PM
Chapter 1 Wrong End #2 on March 6th 2015 2:27 PM
Chapter 1 Defeated on Friday March 6th 2015 2:43 PM
Chapter 2 Wrong End #3 on Sunday March 8th 2015 2:33 PM
Chapter 2 Defeated on Sunday March 8th 2015 8:10 PM
Chapter 3 Wrong End #2 on Monday March 9th 2015 5:48 PM
Chapter 3 Wrong End #1* on Monday March 9th 2015 5:52 PM
Chapter 3 Wrong End #3 on Monday March 9th 2015 7:01 PM
Chapter 3 Defeated on Monday March 9th 2015 7:40 PM
Chapter 4 Wrong End #1 on Tuesday March 10th 2015 6:44 PM
Chaoter 4 Defeated on Tuesday March 10th 2015 6:53 PM
Chapter 5 Wrong End #1* on Wednesday March 11th 2015 4:23 PM
Chapter 5 Wrong End #2 on Wednesday March 11th 2015 4:33 PM
Chapter 5 Wrong End #3 on Wednesday March 11th 2015 6:10 PM
Chapter 5 Wrong End #8** on Thursday March 12th 2015 4:01 PM
Chapter 5 Defeated on Thursday March 12th 2015 4:08 PM
Chapter 6 Defeated on Thursday March 12th 2015 9:38 PM
Chapter 7 Wrong End 1* on Friday March 13th 2015 2:02 PM
Chapter 7 Defeated on Friday March 13th 2015 2:29 PM
Chapter 8 Defeated on Friday March 13th 2015 7:10 PM
Play Time: 14:38
*Did just to see what happened.
**Was using gamefaqs for some parts and spoiled the true choice, so I did the wrong one just to see.
Sequel to the last game I beat last year. As with the first, This stands as one of my favorite gaming experiences of all time. Can't wait for the end of the original story later this year.

11: Invisible Apartment (Steam) (1PT)
Started playing Wednesday March 18th 2015 9:53 PM
Finished playing Wednesday March 18th 2015 11:09 PM
Play Time: 0:36
I basically was playing a few free games to see if I could game on Steam with my very poor pc. Let's just say while this ran alright, its not really looking good. RIP in peace To The Moon, The Witch's House, all the other RPG Maker horror games, and all the other pc exclusive visual novels. :/
As for this game...eh...its fairly bad, but kinda funny with how bad it is. Its free short visual novel so why not?

List of ALL games per system. The bottom of each list as as follows:
Currently Playing is most recently started. (Without a date is not in order.)
Games I Want To Replay is most recently added.
Games I Own is most recently bought. (Without a date is not in order.)
Games I want to buy is most recently thought about buying. Will probably miss out on alot of those.

3DS:
Currently Playing:

1: Shin Megami Tensei IV - (30 Hours) Trying to get Jirae thing to start.
2: Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones (GBA) - Chapter 11
3: Mario & Luigi 4 - (17 Hours) Halfway through.
4: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked (45 Hours) Day 4
5: Fire Emblem: Awakening Normal/Classic/No Grinding (lol)
7: Metroid Fusion (GBA)
8: 100% Yoshi's Island (GBA) (3PT) - 100% as of 01/04/15!
9: 100% Xeodrifter Beaten last year. Tried to 100% this year and got all but one collectable. Consider it complete.
10: Mario Golf: World Tour All Coins (lol)
11: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (lol) (Did all 2 Star Quests)
12: Super Smash Bros. 4 - Will count if I complete all challenges.
13: Gunman Clive (3PT) - Beaten on 02/13/15
14: Gunman Clive 2 - Beaten on 02/14/15
15: Pokemon Shuffle - May count as beaten multiple times due to updates. First will be if I capture all 150 Pokemon in base campaign to Mewtwo plus the Extra stages. DLC stages won't cont since they are constantly changing. 99/150 Stages beaten.
16: Woah Dave - Highscore game but has achievements so will count as beaten if I do them all.
17: Donkey Kong Land (3DS/GB) (1PT) - At World 2 Boss.
18: Code Name S.T.E.A.M. (3DS) (1PT) - On Mission 6-1
19: Shovel Knight (3DS) (3PT) - Got hyped after the DLC news and wanted to replay this a third time before it hits. 
20: Mario VS Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move - Got hyped after the new game but can't afford it, so went back to this. I was mainly using it to create levels but now I'm going through the hardcore man levels. 54/230 Stars gotten. Or I assume its 230 since thats the last unlockable.

Want to replay this year:
1: Super Mario 3D Land (5PT)
2: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (2PT) (1PT Hero Mode)
3: Super Mario Land (GB) (2PT)
4: Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (GB) (3PT)
5: 999 (DS) (2PT)
6: The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (GBA) (2PT)
7: 3D Classics: Kirby's Adventure (3DS) (5PT)
8: Shovel Knight (3DS) (3PT) - Started third playthrough.

Own. Not Started:
1: Steamworld Dig
2: 1,001 Spikes
3: Starship Damrey
4: Attack of the Friday Monsters
5: 100% Skylanders Swap Force
6: Escape Vektor
7: Burger Time Deluxe
8: Mario Golf GBC
9: The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
10: Bomb Monkey (Can't Be Beaten)
11: Ikachan - Started and Beaten on 01/01/15
12: Kerploosh
13: Bike Rider DX (Can't Be Beaten)
14: Mario Kart GBA (Meh)
15: Woah Dave Started on 01/31/15
16: Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters - Found out it was on at like 2AM on 01/18/15 on CN then registered a ton of games and finally had enough before the deadline. So now I own this.
17: Donkey Kong Land (3DS/GB)
18: Metroid II: Return of Samus - Gotten on 03/03/15 as my last Club Nintendo Reward before the final Platinum...
19: Fairune (3DS) (1PT)
20: Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows - Will have and start when released.

Want to buy this year:
1: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
2: Code Name S.T.E.A.M. BOUGHT DAY ONE VIA AMAZON!
3: Xenoblade (Who knows when I'll get a new 3DS tho)
4: Entrian Oddyssy IV
5: Fantasy Life
6: Wario Land III (GBC)
7: Kirby's Dream Land 2 (GB)
8: Resident Evil Revelations (After I get new 3DS)
9: Box Boy (or whatever that new 1st party DL game is called lol) (3DS)
10: Mega Man 4 (3DS/NES) (1PT)
11: Mega Man 5 (3DS/NES) (1PT)
12: Mega Man 6 (3DS/NES) (1PT)

PSV:
Currently Playing:

1: 100% Dangan Ronpa 2
2: 100% Dangan Ronpa
3: 100% Tearaway
4: 100% Gravity Rush
5: Rayman Origins (Like, only at world 3. Not far after a couple years.)
6: Corpse Party (PSP) - Beaten on 12/31/14, so doesn't count. :/. (Started 12/27/14. I was really into it!)
7: Persona 4: Golden - Started on 01/09/15 - BEATEN ON 03/04/15 AFTER EIGHTY NINE HOURS AND TWENTY THREE MINUTES!!!!
8: Corpse Party: Book of Shadows (PSV/PSP) (1PT) - Started on 03/04/15
9: Neptinua Re;Birth1 - Played 40 hours in two weeks. Such a awesome game. At the final boss, but need to grind since I seem to be severely underleveled.

Want to replay this year:
1: Virtue's Last Reward (2PT) (1PT Was on 3DS. Will go for Platinum.)

Own. Not Started:
1: Persona 4 Golden - BEATEN ON 03/04/15!!!!
2: Sweet Fuse (PSP)
3: Need for Speed
4: Corpse Party: Book of Shadows (PSP)
5: The Walking Dead: 400 Days
6: Patapon (PSP) - Just realized Patapon thru FFIV I own and wasn't thru PS+! :O
7: Final Fantasy IX (PS1)
8: Patchwork Heroes (PSP)
9: Final Fantasy IV/The After Years (IV would be a replay, TAY new.)
10: Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1 - Got from amazon on 01/22/15
11: Medieval - Bought on 01/16/15 during the PS Anniversary sale. Had enough money for a $3 game and choose this! :D
12: Home (PSV) (1PT) - This through Mega Man X5 all bought via the $1 Flash Sale on PSN. So good.
13: Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (PSV/PS1) (1PT)
14: Mega Man X4 (PSV/PS1) (1PT)
15: Mega Man X5 (PSV/PS1) (1PT)
16: Fat Princess: Piece of Cake (PSV) - Forgot that I had this F2P game. May check it out sometime soon just to see.

Want to buy this year:
1: PS+ FFS
2: Dangan Ronpa: Anoother Episode: Ultra Despair Girls
3: The Walking Dead: Season Two
4: The Wolf Among Us
5: Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1 - Got from amazon on 01/22/15
6: Hyperdimension Neptunita Re;Birth 2
7: Bastion
8: Severed
9: Shovel Knight 100% (Replay, going for trophies.)
10: Assassin's Creed III: Liberation
11: Neptunia: Noire Game
12: The Firefly Diaries
13: Persona 4: Dancing All Night
14: Stein Gate
15: Flame Over (PSV) (1PT)
16: Octodad: Dadliest Catch (PSV) (1PT)
17: Neptunia U
18: Neptunia Re;Birth3
19: Neptunia: Producing Perfection

WiiU:
Currently Playing:

1: The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD - BEATEN ON 01/15/15
2: Earthbound (SNES) (Most likely not 2015) - Three Melodies In.
3: Edge (lol)
4: Bit.trip Runner 2 (lol)
5: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) (1PT) - At Third Dark Dungeon. Really just don't think I like this game. Despite being a huge Zelda fan. Oh well. Think I'll just give up.
6: Castlevania (NES) - Beaten on 02/09/15
7: Donkey Kong Country (WiiU/SNES) (2PT) -[/b] Beaten![/b]
Own. Not Started:
1: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) - Started on 01/16/15
2: Castlevania (NES) - Beaten on 02/09/15
3: Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SNES) (100%) (2PT, 1PT 100%)
4: Mega Man X (SNES)
5: Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (WiiU/SNES) (1PT)
6: Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie's Double Trouble (WiiU/SNES) (2PT)
Want to buy this year:
1: Zelda U
2: Yoshi's Wooly World
3: Splatoon
4: Hyrule Warriors
5: A Castlevania GBA Game
6: Mega Man: Battle Network (GBA)
7: Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
8: Never Alone (WiiU) (1PT)

PS4:
Currently Playing

1: Watch Dogs - On hold until I can hook up my tv. Playing with remote play is terrible.
2: Infamous: Second Son - 19% Done.
3: Skylanders Swap Force - 3/? Levels 100%ed Will probably just give up on this too. The console games are so much worse than handheld ones.
Own. Not Started:
Nothing. lol.
Want to buy this year:
1: No Man's Sky
2: Metal Gear Solid V
3: Until Dawn
4: Persona 5
5: Neptunia Re;Birth 4 (Yes I know its not called Rebirth4) - Will probably wait on Vita version which should happen eventually.

iOS:
*Decided to get back into iOS a little. Only have an iPod Touch 4 with iOS6 so my games are limited...right now I have not bought any games and am just trying to beat older games from the beginning.
Currently Playing:
1: Hook Champ (iOS) (1PT)
2: Sway (iOS) (1PT)
Own. Not Started: (Not complete list, just what I'm planning next)
*Also some of these games may not be beatable. IDK yet since alot of iOS games usually are endless. :/
1: Mage Gauntlet (iOS) (1PT)
2: Minigore 2 (iOS) (1PT)
3: League of Evil (iOS) (1PT)
4: Helium Boy (iOS) (1PT)
5: Guardian Saga (iOS) (1PT) - May wait to get Vita version since I prefer that. Limited money will probably force my hand tho lol.
6: Bike Baron (iOS) (1PT)
Want to buy this year:
1-3: Five Nights at Freddie's 1-3 (iOS) (1PT)- After watching so many videos I really wanna play them, but they'll probably crash as it says on the store I need 512MB ram. :/
4: SwapQuest (iOS) (1PT)

Games I Plan To Beat Next:
1: Neptunia Re;Birth1 (PSV) (1PT) - By late March or Early April. Plan on platinuming it and will count that as a seperate game to beat simce beating the story mode and 100%ing games are bastly different.
2: Shovel Knight (3DS) (3PT) - Replaying one of my favorite games. Will be an easy finish in April.
3: Neptunia Re;Birth1 100% (PSV) (1PT) - I'll likely count beating this game and platinuming it as two games beaten. Perhaps not, but its basically a different game to 100%. Plan is for Platinum in April.
4: Donkey Kong Land (3DS/GB) (1PT) - Making my way through this for the first time and should be an easy finish in April.
5: Steamworld Dig (3DS) (1PT) - Plan to start after beating both Shovel Knight and Donkey Kong Land. Figured it'd be an easy finish for April but may be wrong.
6: Neptunia Re;Birth2 (PSV) (1PT) - I may change my mind making this pointless, but at the moment I plan to buy this game in April and beat it by late April or Early May. May not get in April due to trying to get the Lucina Amiibo. >_> Actually there is a good chance that I won't be able to get it, but if I do its next on my list.
7: Code Name S.T.E.A.M. (3DS) (1PT) - Always enjoy strategy games but not all that good at them. Taking this slowly, but maybe done by late April or early May.

Original Post: Games #1 - #6
Original Post 2: Games #7 - #10

xIhSoMQ.jpg

Game #11: SteamWorld Dig - PSVita via PSTV
Completion: Completed Main Story
Personal Rating: ★★★★★★★★☆☆

A very solid exploration platformer. It has really good systems for upgrading your steambot and encourages exploring every nook and cranny of each world. It has a few faults, although they're more personal gripes than inherent design flaws. I really good have done with an instant teleport back to town - even with a cost, rather than jumping back up through the entire level. There are enough times where you need to backtrack upwards to older caves or missed ore and orbs that you would still need plan a solid path. Being forced to return back to town by jumping up through the level you just completed becomes rather tedious. The design solution they offer - purchasable teleporters - are an interesting, but flawed stop-gap measure since they cost orbs, the rarest and most in-demand currency. If they cost money instead, I probably would have purchased them more often and had less of an issue with this part of the game. Overall though, I reached the bottom of the world and destroyed the giant evil robot-thing and was left wanting more levels to explore.

tYXZiHe.png

Game #12: The Order: 1886
Completion: Completed Main Story
Personal Rating: ★★★★★★★☆☆☆

The Order: 1886 is as close to a playable movie as I have encountered so far. Visually, the game sets the bar for this generation so far. But it suffers from over-used QTEs and standard-issue third-person cover shooting. Too often is the game taken out of the player's hands and put into a cinematic cutscene, short dialogue or series of QTEs. And the storyline, while enjoyable and well-paced, consistently teases just enough to get you excited before pulling back the reigns and leaving you frustrated. It teases, over and over, everything from werewolves to vampires and other nefarious creatures but you end up spending 90% of the game fighting forgettable and replacable 'rebels'. And it doesn't help that the story is very clearly a prequel or prologue meant to set up future installments that, depending on sales and critical reception, may not end up happening anyway. It's very much putting the cart before the horse. That said, there is an amazingly solid foundation here. And incredible engine, glorious visuals, and a world with tons of possibilities for interesting storytelling abound. But it's all held back by poor implementation of gameplay mechanics and a focus on the wrong things that will hopefully be remedied in the potential sequels.

7Xpeshh.png

Game #13: Driveclub
Completion: Legend Trophy
Personal Rating: ★★★★★★★★★☆

The only criticism I have for the game is that it isn't Rallisport Challenge 2 or Diddy Kong Racing - the two greatest racing games ever made. And no split-screen. The landscapes, the lighting, the sounds, the sense of speed, the handling (especially on wet surfaces), the amount of content available, the amount of content in the Season Pass, everything is just … really well done. But man, split-screen. The inclusion of split-screen or more rally-esque races would probably have bumped this up to the same league as Rallisport or Diddy. But it's still an amazing racer that I would recommend to anyone.

7AsAXXN.png

Game #14: Helldivers
Completion: Level 20 (of 25)
Personal Rating: ★★★★★★★★★☆

Helldivers is just an OK game as a single-player experience. But as a co-op experience, it is an incredible blast to play. At first, I thought friendly fire would put the game clearly outside of my rather casual-centric comfort zone. But it adds an element of strategy and sets up so many comedy-of-errors situations that are funny and enjoyable rather than frustrating and punishing. The difficulty jumps seem severe in the early going and eventually you will find a comfort zone for yourself and your group of other Helldivers at what difficulty you find a balance between hectic firefights and controllable chaos. The early difficulty missions can get tedious if you rely on them too frequently for a quick win, and the most difficult missions can feel overwhelmingly unfair - but once you find that difficulty setting that everyone in the group can be successful, while still feeling the tension of combat, the game really comes alive and hits on a sweet spot that keeps me coming back and playing more.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Mega Man 8 & The Power Fighters have been beaten to wrap up my Anniversary Collection mini-marathon! I got many more MM games I could beat again but for now... break time ta work on other projects.

Games Beaten: 23 / 52
Total Playtime: 94 hours, 04 minutes

01 - ??

OP

---

Game 13: Spongebob Heropants (Vita) - 6 hrs 30 mins~
Don't know why I rented this one to be honest. It definitely was no Battle For Bikini Bottom. Worth a try if you're a hardcore fan of the license I guess.​

Game 14: Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (PS4) - 17 hrs, 34 mins
All 4 story eps, 2 bonus eps, and 2.5 Raid mode gauntlets complete. Enjoyed this one way more than I expected to for a cheaper digital release. I'll probably sink many more hours into this to cleanup medals and of course finish Raid mode.​

upselo

Neo Member
Original post

An Hexcells-themed update! Comes with every possible praise.

Game 9 : Hexcells - 3 hours
Great puzzle game mixing Minesweeper and Picross, with a set number of puzzles with only one solution, and almost only one way to go find them. Scratch my thrist for logic like a great sudoku grid.

Game 10 : Hexcells Plus - 10 hours
Same as Hexcells, but improved with more complex puzzles. Always a great rush to uncover a new tile.

Game 11 : Hexcells Infinite - 15 hours
Couldn't get enough of the two previous games. This one has obvious improvements with puzzles being saved even when unfinished (not required to finish them in one go, a blessing when some of them require easily half an hour). I felt the puzzles were a little too obscure and contrived, even if I managed to solve them all. Hexcells Plus was more enjoyable for me, and while the puzzle generator is great to have, it doesn't feel the same.

Game 12 : Sixcells - 5 hours
Free version for Android compiling fan made puzzles (with the blessing of the original developer). Great to scratch my Hexcells itch on the go, even though it's obviously inferior to the official games.

StingX2

lTPMAzn.jpg

Game Beaten #29 Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower (PSP) - 2 Hours
(Started & Finished 3/22/15)

When I bought this 5 years ago I thought this was like a 4th Darkstalkers, and it turns out to be a collection of 1-3. Oh well! This game is still fun and I cleared it with Morrigan.

OG2 Post

Teggy

Haven't posted an update from my main list in an while:

Original post

Game 19: Evoland - 4 hours(? Steam glitched the time)
# Played on MAC, finished 2/20. A cute love letter to RPGs. Like DLC Quest, but less cynical.

Game 20: Jolly Rover - 5.5 hours
# Played on MAC, finished 2/22. A dog and pirate-themed point and click adventure with a difficulty level that felt pretty good. Plenty of puns if you are a dog lover.

Game 21: Fable III - 21 hours
# Played on XBOX360, finished 2/22. I really enjoy the adventure, exploration and humor in the Fable games. Unfortunately, this one had some odd design choices and a questionable turn to the gameplay towards the end.

Game 22: Deponia - 11.5 hours
# Played on MAC, finished 2/26. I managed to finish Deponia without any help and it still felt very challenging. A lot of clever and varied puzzles and genuinely funny writing.

Game 23: Syberia - 9 hours
# Played on MAC, finished 2/27. Needed to look up 2 hints, oh well. The story and setting of the game were intriguing, and I'll play the sequel. The characters, writing and voice acting were very inconsistent, though.

Game 24: They Breathe - 30 minutes
# Played on PC, finished 3/5. I beat it? Kind of creepy.

Game 25: Assassin's Creed: Revelations - 14 hours
# Played on XBOX360, finished 3/8. I wanted to go in with an open mind, but in the end this was a mediocre game. It started and ended pretty strong, but other than a few stand-out free running missions that I enjoyed, the middle was pretty uninspired, especially compared to the variety that Brotherhood managed.

Game 26: Infamous First Light - 5 hours(? No clock)
# Played on PS4, finished 3/11. A nice little slice of Infamous. I'm not generally one for arena fights, but the combat is so fun that I might go back and do some trophy hunting.

Game 27: Deus Ex: GOTY - 29 hours
# Played on PC, finished 3/17. This game has been in my backlog for so many years, and I'm so glad I finally took the time to finish it. I'm sure I've started it 10+ times, never getting more than halfway through. This time it just clicked and it felt a lot shorter than my final tally. A really amazing game that holds up very well. I can't think of any modern games that have done flexibility of play and choice/consequence as good as this 15 year old game.

Game 28: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut - 36 hours
# Played on PC, finished 3/23. A very worthy follow-up to Deus Ex - you could feel that a lot of care went into creating it. I had a few nitpicks, particularly the worthless choice of endings but overall a great game.

Battlefield-Hardline.png

Time to beat: 6 Hours
Rating: 8/10

Comments: Its been a while since I can say I really enjoyed a Battlefield campaign. Like able characters, creative set pieces, dialogue that isn't that cringe worthy. A story that goes from Miami Vice to Mission Possible was a great change of pace.

Krafter

Plodding along. Am very close to finishing Dead Nation (on the Final Chapter), Assassin's Creed and (I think, anyway) Ar Tonelico.

Game 12: Ice Climber (NES) - March 4 - 4 hours
Ambassador game, another one that I had not played before, growing up with Atari and the Commodore 64 rather than Nintendo. Fun platformer, reminds me of a predecessor to Donkey Kong (unsure which came first), but not much else to do once you abuse save game states to beat the game.

Game 13: High Velocity Bowling (PS3) - March 7 - 4 hours
Multiplayer bowling game with surprisingly great controls, using the sixaxis rather than the move controller. Got smashed by pros online, so just played half a dozen games with my wife before retiring this title. Wish all the balls / characters were unlocked from the start, though.

Game 14: Naughty Bear (PS3) - March 14 - 11 hours
Stealth/Murder simulator that plays kinda like Metal Gear with Teddy Bears. Entirely forgettable with terrible controls, game is somewhat redeemed by the excellent narrator that provokes Naughty Bear into mass murder over trivial slights.

Game 15: Forest (Android) - March 19 - 4 hours
Slender man clone, with a Japanese drowned-girl ghost instead of Slender. Pretty good after a poor first impression, great jump scares once you get going on the scavenger hunt. Not a lot of content (2 levels) but it totally works for nighttime gaming with headphones on.

Original Post

CengizMan

I think it was even worse as a kid, if you played the XBL iteration. Did you play on N64? If not, in that original game IIRC you had to get all notes in one run of a level. I think I heard they changed that for the new releases, though. Just brutal. I'm pretty sure I never did 100% it. Click Clock Wood in particularly was ridiculously tough to find and keep all the notes in.

Yeah, I played the Nintendo 64 version. Collecting the notes is crazy difficult. Apperantly, notes in the Xbox Live Arcade version, once collected, don't appear again, if one exits the level and reenters it or loses a life. Makes it a lot easier (and more fun).

maxcriden

Yeah, I played the Nintendo 64 version. Collecting the notes is crazy difficult. Apperantly, notes in the Xbox Live Arcade version, once collected, don't appear again, if one exits the level and reenters it or loses a life. Makes it a lot easier (and more fun).

That is definitely easier and more fun. I did play the XBLA version at one point but not too much of it, and I wasn't sure I remembered correctly. Regardless, glad you dug the game. :)

Ted

Game #10: Driveclub - Evolution Studios
Format: PS4
Completion State: All non-DLC tours completed 100%, platinum trophy.
Completion Date: 21/Mar/2015

My experiences with the game have been so varying it's really difficult for me to even conclusively say whether I actually like or dislike the game overall. To summarise why I feel either way in a single paragraph fairly is pretty much impossible. The best I can get to is that whilst the highs in Driveclub are superb there are just too many under-cooked elements that detract or distract from those high points and those elements make playing the game at any length a remarkably frustrating experience. Hopefully this is a solid foundation for a sequel.

For a fuller post on this please see: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=157274806&postcount=13032

LGom09

#13. Demon's Souls (PS3) -- March 24 -- 22:44:00 -- ★★★★★
My second Souls game. Don't know if I'd place it above Dark Souls, but unlike that game, DeS is consistently great throughout. Bosses are much easier than in DaS, but they're interesting because of their unique gameplay gimmicks (Storm King is my favourite boss). The music also does a good job of adding character to each fight. Level design is excellent, atmosphere is excellent, can't really think of any major flaws. I guess Dragon God is a pretty shitty boss. I think Demon's Souls would crack my top 10 for the generation.

Hikami

Main post

cfb4408f09.jpg

Game 21: Kingdom Hearts
Playtime: 35:29 (2015: 8 hours)
Start/Finish: ?? - Mar 15th, 2015
// ..What?
So I've played every Kingdom Hearts game out to date but never beaten any of them (lol). Decided to change that. Booted up my PS2 copy of KH (since I don't have a PS3 for 1.5 HD) and continued from where I left off years ago.
I don't know how I enjoyed this as a kid.. it hasn't really aged well in my opinion. I found combat tedious and the story wasn't anything special. Though that's probably just because I'm older now.. as a kid I adored this game. Let's see if my opinion changes once I get back to KH2.
--
86df53400b.jpg

Game 22: Fragment's Note
Playtime: 3:30
Start/Finish: Mar 15th, 2015 - Mar 16th, 2015
// First and probably the last PSM game I'll be buying (rip service).
It was a decent VN. Story was interesting for the most part, and I must be desensitized to fanservice at this point cus jeez.. That made up the majority of it. Only finished one route though, will do the others later. First time playing a VN on my Vita and I love it. Just being able to lay in bed or move to the couch and play this was great. Sitting at my desk to play PC VNs on the other hand is really uncomfortable.
--
41bace3e2c.jpg

Game 23: Persona 4 Golden
Playtime: 60:52
Start/Finish: Feb 16th, 2015 - Mar 20th, 2015
// Perfection.
What else can I really say? I just loved everything about it, all over again. I played the PS2 version several years ago and going through this version was great since I had forgotten most of the story. Did not expect that much extra content added either too. The dungeons weren't as tedious as the PS2 version either, game of all time right here. Now to wait for P5 some more.
--
85b40bbeeb.jpg

Update to Game 14: Life is Strange
Episode 2
Playtime: 3:04
Start/Finish Mar 24, 2015
// meh..
While some people seemed to enjoy it, I didn't find it all that great..(compared to the first episode)
Really slow start, some characters just got more annoying, the ending was the only thing that stood out to me really.

Makeda

Original Post

cutmypic%208.png

Game #13. Hyrule Warriors -Legend Mode- (Wii U)
I am pleasantly surprised by just how much fun I've gotten out of this game, never thought that I'd be playing a Muso game for over 70hrs let alone STILL having so much left to complete.
For the record I have included this game as I have finished the Legend (story) mode and considering the time spent, i'd consider this game completed...but as you know, that's only the tip of the iceberg, still gotta complete all of the adventure maps .----.

In an age where it feels like every game is trying to give you the bare minimum for your money, Hyrule Warriors is a breath of fresh air. With so much content available I will gladly keep playing this game all year round.. Hands down the BEST value for money game released in a long, long time :D

cutmypic%209.png

Game #14. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Wii U)
A rather shocking LTTP and RTTP all in one with this game - Bought it alongside a bunch of other games, tried it for a bit and then put it down for months on end. After going through some Wii U centric topics on GAF I decided to give it another shot... and boy did it impress - DKC: Tropical Freeze is definitely my Wii U sleeper hit so far... but those bosses kicked my ass :(

cutmypic%2010.png

Game #15. The Fall (Wii U)
Picked up alongside Lone Survivor in an e-shop sale a few weeks ago... Decent game for a Kickstarter project and I'm interested to see what happens in the next two games.

Oh no, what is wrong with me. Right after I beat Neptunia Re;Birth1 I started Persona 3 in the same month I beat Persona 4 Golden and I was getting burned out by the end but I came back. Aaahhh! And I chose normal instead of easy because of reasons. >_>

Just to get it out've the way: After beatng this I can start Persona Q without spoiling the Arena games right? I wonder if I can also start the dancing game before Arena since I still have no room for a tv.

But so far its pretty good. Everything like
The story getting right into it and everyone knowing the threat at the beginning makes it feel very different from 4.

Dunno whats wrong with the auto skip for voice sections tho. It randomly skips text only and even voiced sections immediately. Had to disable it. Having to press x during voice scenes really sucks lol.

Caramello

Game 16: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD

ReIArLY.jpg

Duration: 31:43

Quick Thoughts:

The original Wind Waker on Nintendo GameCube was the first Zelda game I played. Ever since that game, The Legend of Zelda has been one of, if not my most loved gaming franchise. The Wind Waker gives me a sense of adventure like no other game has since, until now that is. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD is truly a masterpiece. Everything I loved about the original is here and improved upon. The tingle bottles are a welcome addition as is the quick sail. I never explored every inch of the map in the original title but the quick sail in WWHD made sailing so easy that I spent hours just exploring the ocean. If you own a Wii U and don't have this game in your library I feel like you're doing yourself and your console a great disservice. Go get it!

Original post.

KyleP29

i usually like to provide a few updates at once but i think this will be my last game i complete for the month, and with bloodborne tempting me I'm not sure when the next game i complete will land.

Original Post

Game 13: Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (5 Hours)(Wii U) – 3/25/2015

I really enjoyed the captain toad parts when i played 3D world and thought i would really love this game. Unfortunately it just wasn't for me. I enjoyed some of the levels, but i didn't really feel they improved upon some of the mechanics we saw in 3D World. After 5 hours and running through the 3 main story arcs i just felt done with this game. Perhaps the bonus levels were really well done, and i can see others enjoying the challenge of completing every aspect for each level, but the core experience didn't inspire me to find out.

OP

Game 9 - Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (PS4)
Best actual Resident Evil since Resident Evil 4, by far (I still love 5 and 6 though). There are genuinely tense moments and the story, while filled with classic RE cheese, has some really cool twists and cliffhangers.
I'm kinda bummed that I didn't get to experience the good ending while in the heat of the moment instead of watching it on YouTube afterwards, but it's still pretty fucking awesome anyway
. The selfish man in me wants Claire to show up again in RE7 too. Chris had simultaneous mainline appearances, so fuck it.

daveo42

Banned
Game 7: Life is Strange - Chapter 2 - 3h 15m | Started: 3/25/15 - Completed: 3/26/15
Whew...man, right now this feels better than Telltale's TWD games in terms of story telling. Chapter 2 kind of ratcheted things up with all the character interaction and the direction of the story. Shit is going down...shit is definitely going down, and it seems like the game is doing a much better job of dealing with character choices over TWD games before it.

Initial Post Here

This is basically my end of the month post and maybe the first half of April, haha, because I'm going to be playing Bloodborne for the next few weeks.

Original Post

9sqPSfz.png

Game #20 - SteamWorld Dig (PS4) - 16/03/15

It took me a while to get into this game because the first area offers no challenge and the gems/items are worth next to nothing, but once I reached the second area, other enemies started appearing and I could start gathering some good funds. It never really gets that challenging but the combination of mining, platforming and upgrades kept me hooked.

XATVCZJ.png

Game #21 - Stick it to the Man (PS4) - 17/03/15

Another short game, intended to just pass the time until Bloodborne came out. I wasn't really a fan of this game beforehand but playing it in close proximity with Sherlock Holmes Crimes & Punishments and Valiant Hearts really makes it look a bit crap, to be honest. I'm not a fan of the art style or story at all and the puzzles weren't even remotely interesting or challenging.

9sqPSfz.png

Game #22 - SteamWorld Dig (PSV) - 18/03/15

This was a weird one. At first this was a mistake, because I assumed the Vita version supported cross-save and I started it looking to continue my PS4 save on the go. But it turned out that not only does it not support cross-save, it also has a separate trophy list. And since I was already having fun with the PS4 version, I just said screw it and started a brand new save on this one too. It was actually really fun starting this knowing what mistakes not to make and rushing through the boring parts (namely the first area and a couple of the optional caves).

iuFoFfR.png

Game #23 - Valiant Hearts: The Great War (PS3) - 22/03/15

I'd originally bought the PS3 version before I got my PS4 and got that version too but never got around to playing it. So even though I've already finished it once, all the talk around the PS+ offering pushed me to give this version a play now. It's really impressive how well they bring you into the game and make you care about the characters, even though they only really talk gibberish. Great story and some fun little puzzles.

BKMuN6K.png

Game #7 (Update) - Life is Strange: Episode 2 (PS4) - 25/03/15

This wasn't as strong as the first episode, it felt kinda like filler, making it a fairly typical second episode. I'm still really interested to see where it goes, I just hope the third one picks up the pace a bit.

Currently Playing
  • Bloodborne (PS4)
  • Helldivers (PS4)
I'm not too far into Bloodborne but so far it's pretty incredible. As I said earlier, I can already tell I'll be playing this for the next few weeks, so I'm glad I'm already nearly halfway through the 52. I'm also playing a bit of Helldivers on the side but not that much. I haven't even really dipped my toes into multiplayer yet because I'm just not sure if the randoms I'll be matched up with will be any fun to play with.

Ladekabel

March
Game 9: Hyrule Warriors (Wii U): Really enjoyed the game but I wish it had more voice acting and not just an narratress. If it wouldn't be for my backlog I would do the adventure mode and level my characters. I would even consider buying the DLC.
Game 10: Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition (PS4) (PS+): Got it through PS+ and don't consider it part of my backlog. Played it in online-coop. Terrible HUD problems. The HUD is too big, I saw the HUD of my coop-partner even in online. And you always lost your character.
Game 11: Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS): Got the Law ending. Though it was a bit too long, I really like it. Love the press-turn-system, the world and most of the demon design.
Game 12: Gunman Clive (3DS): Short but very good platformer.
Game 13: Gunman Clive 2 (3DS): In every regard better than the first one. More colourful, more enemy types, more scenarios and more gameplay variety. But some bosses gave me a little but of a hard time.
Game 14: Mighty Switch Force (3DS): Liked it. Preferred the more linear levels to the more open levels but overall it was a good puzzle-platformer.
Game 15: 3D Shinobi III (3DS): Awesome classic with great 3D. Game is great though sometimes I got confused with when to press for double jump. Also found out I could block in the last third of the game. Shamelessly used save states.
Game 16: Link's Awakening: Don't know why I didn't play the GBC Zelda games as a kid. Liked that game though the last two dungeons were a bit to confusing for me. Otherwise great game though the frequent changing of items got a little bit annoying.

Currently playing: Okami HD (PS3), Metroid Fusion (Wii U)

Don't think I'll finish another game this month. So here's my list. Pretty productive month. Thanks to the 3DS I was able to finish 8 games.

Ted

Original Post

Game #11: Thomas Was Alone - Mike Bithell / Curve Studios
Format: PS4
Completion State: Story/all levels completed (previously collected all pickup and misc. trophies on PS3)
Completion Date: 26/Mar/2015

Technically this is a replay as I have already completed the PS3 version but I finished the PS4 version today and really enjoyed it again so I am adding it despite the trophies between all PS* versions being shared.

It's a short and relatively simple romp with little graphical flair but the charm, personality and concept more than make up for it. The story though ultimately nonsensical is fun and gives a remarkable amount of personality to your characters despite them being nothing more than differently shaped and coloured rectangles. Against my better judgement I really started to bond with Thomas and his little crew of disparate companions mostly I think because of the dulcet tones of Danny Wallace and the charm of the writing.

The levels and physics are all very simple but this doesn't detract from what is ultimately a very mellow and enjoyable experience.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Game #7 - The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D
3DS
Still fucking fantastic, loved it even more with slightly upgraded visuals. What else is there left to be said about OoT. Maybe the GOAT.

Game #8 - Shovel Knight
3DS
Sucked me in totally. Holy shit was it good. I wish it were longer though!

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.

GAME #13: Home (2014)
| Rating: ★★ | Platform: PS4 | Developer: Benjamin Rivers |

While there are some good ideas in here. And there are. There's one choice in particular that's really genius. But, in the end it doesn't matter. It's never scary. Never unnerving and most of all it's never engaging. There's some more to go back to in here but it would feel like a waste of time.

GAME #14: Crash Team Racing (1999)
| Rating: ★★★½ | Platform: PS1 | Naughty Dog |

Holds up remarkably well. Needed something to play with my girlfriend. We sat up playing until neither of us could stay away. We played VS. and through every single level. Even though some of them have aged badly there are some that hold up really well. Never really a true competitor to Mario Kart but a damned fine game if I say so myself.

GAME #15: Neverending Nightmares (2014)
| Rating: ★★★ | Platform: PC | Developer: Infinitap Games, LLC. |

Horribly effective. The first play-session I had really hit home. This is some unnverving shit. The art direction is flawless and the presentation is top-notch. Judged only be the first hour this is a fantastic game. Then you notice that it never really goes anywhere. Once the horrors become enemies and the neverending nightmare becomes levels it settles into a very video game-y feeling that it never quite shakes.

JTripper

Original Post

Game 14 - Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (PS4) Completed Story on 3/13/15, 5 Hours
- Not as good as the first one, but I still enjoyed it. The story was interesting and I appreciate the added focus on it but I felt the simplicity and ambiguity of the first game's was more unique and memorable. Also, some of the level design felt overused and sometimes cheap, such as windows everywhere and unfair enemy placement in areas that are way too big. Soundtrack was top notch and there are definitely some bangers. Still, the first game tho.

Game 15 - Halo 2: Anniversary (X1) Completed Campaign on 3/15/15, 8 Hours
- I've been a Halo fan since nearly the beginning. I have fond memories of Halo 2's campaign and it's co-op. The remade cutscenes are beautiful and it's amazing. Despite them being pretty much on par with other modern games, seeing how Halo 2's campaign would have looked like had it been made today is pretty great. In the end, I think Halo 2 actually has the weakest story in the franchise (including 4) and mostly serves as set-up and prep for 3, but it has some good individual missions. I think the best thing about it's campaign and story is the inclusion of the Arbiter as a playable protagonist. As for the remastered sounds and visuals in multiplayer, it almost feels like a whole new game. It's so good.

jb1234

Only thing new for me is an update to entry 12, since I finished the second chapter:

Game 12 – Life is Strange – Started 2/21/15, first chapter beaten 2/21/15, second chapter beaten 3/25/15 - 5.3 hours

I tried the PS4 demo of this out on a whim and came away pretty impressed. Well-defined characters, witty writing and a gorgeous, fully-realized world. I bought the whole thing on the PC and for the most part, my thoughts haven't changed. Unlike Dreamfall Chapters, it sucked me in right away. There were a few glitches here and there (the main character not recognizing a picture of someone she had fought with just a few hours before) but overall, I'm pretty happy and wait eagerly for more chapters. As this is an episodic game, I will continue to update this entry as chapters are released.

I didn't find the second chapter as consistent as the first. There was an annoying fetch quest in the middle that stopped the game in its tracks and some character motivations felt fishy but I still enjoyed it and played through it in one breezy almost three-hour session.

I'm working on the Steam version of FFIV right now and hope to have it finished by the end of the month.

Original post

original post

14. Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (PS3) - 9 hours;

This title finally brought the natural evolution of classic Resident Evil and its survival horror, at least as far as it was possible within the realms of modern gaming. While RE4 was a revolutionary TPS, unlike the rather poor RE5- and 6, even that game wasn't a survival horror experience anymore. Rev2 however did it right. Finally. No, it's not as complex and not quite as unnerving as a REmake, for example, but still had the right essence. It obviously has the TPS camera- and controls necessary for a modern title, but still at the very least offers somewhat open maps, even though it's still a linear game in general, but certainly not only consisting of blatant corridors.

This immediately adds to the tension and it has many slower moments to keep it, with some more panic-inducing moments and boss fights hitting even harder. It's funny how much it correlates with Evil Within, except that Evil Within did most of it worse. In both games there's a small section within a wood at night. In Evil Within, it's a blatant corridor and hence loses it's atmosphere. In Revelations 2, you can at least get partially lost and have to orientate yourself through lights in the distance, which is obviously much creepier. Evil Within had extremely lazy invisible enemies annoying you in corridor maps. In this game, there's invisible enemies making the screen blurry when they near and when you're eventually in a small building, you'll see the screen becoming blurry, but won't know whether or not they are close to you or in a floor right above or under you.

So not only does it bring back classic trademarks like puzzle solving and exploration (which is enhanced through a similar system like in Rev1, in which you can ,,scan'' the environment for a few extra bullets and whatnot), but also brings in new elements like that, or stealth sections and a decent partner system, which is good even in singleplayer. Thankfully, there's no fullblown action segments like in Rev1 anymore and generally less enemies than in RE4-6, but they have very cool and terrifying designs and the game can be pretty hard, so you wanna watch out for them, of course adding constant tension, unlike the generic shooting galleries which were RE5 and 6.

Environments and music are also pretty cool. They are new, but still feel like something that could have been in classic RE. Same goes for the story, which might even be the best in the series. It feels like something in the vein of CVX, which is of course ridiculous, but in a good way with actually likeable characters this time around, while not being pretentious, which was surprising, since my biggest concern was that some emo teen and a little girl would certainly be annoying and written poorly, but they were solid and also don't ever really interrupt gameplay all that much. The story itself thankfully never goes overboard with cutscenes and several details need to be found in optional documents, like in the good old days. And Barry kills it. In fact, the fanservice feels great and more importantly, clever instead of shoehorned in. One early gag is a prime example, which made me laugh, while I was also still a little stressed from the well made horror gameplay.
This game is the real deal.

Dr. Buni

Original post

Game #19: Pokémon Alpha Sapphire

JHWrKLj.png

Twelve days without finishing a game, probably my longest gap this year yet. Anyways, first I want to say this is my favorite franchise (and probably favorite thing in the whole world, or at least it was), so this post might be a bit long. Now onto the game... Wow. Game Freak outdone themselves with Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire... Or at least with Alpha Sapphire, the version I played (I say this because part of my enjoyment with the game comes from the characterization of Team Aqua and I have no idea how the new Team Magma is in OR). The last time I felt the urge to praise them was with Black and White back in 2010, the game which is likely still my favorite in the series, for a number of reasons I am not feeling like typing. After X and Y, I wasn't expecting much from ORAS. It is not that X and Y is a bad game, but in the end I felt the game had a lot of missed opportunities and was far too easy (the game gives you a lot of overpowered Pokémon + the dumb new exp share, etc), not to mention it was trying too hard to cater to genwunners (aka fanboys of the first generation) instead of being its own thing. I appreciated the lower number of Pokémon, the mega evolution mechanic, the Fairy-type inclusion, plus some of my favorite Pokémon come from X and Y, but still... In the end, I felt the game was a bit lackluster, even considering the many great things it brought to the franchise.

ORAS is different. It shares a few of the bad things of XY (like, the awful exp share is back, but if you are smart and don't want to completely ruin the game, the first thing you'll do is turn it off), you still get a few free Pokémon for no good reason (but not early in the game, at least), etc, plus the game lacks some of the great things of both X and Y as well as Ruby and Sapphire, like character customization (X and Y) and Battle Frontier (R and S). I also don't like how the Elite Four still have repeated Pokémon in their teams... Now, it seems like I hated the game, but I didn't. I loved it. It was so good. There are SO many new things in ORAS, new cool additions and details, stuff that really makes you emotional if you are invested in the series since it started or at least for many years. People say the beauty is in the details and they are completely right.

From the top of my head, things I enjoyed: The revamped Secret Bases (they actually have a purpose now) and Contests with the new enjoyable characters (like Lisia and the slightly creepy Aarune), the Eon Flute (say goodbye to wasting a slot in your team with a random bird, say hi to flying around Hoenn on L@tias' back), the PokéNav Plus (AreaNav is extremely helpful, please don't remove it in the next games, GF), Team Aqua now have dark skin tone and more memorable character designs and personalities (Matt is so gay for Archie), the new Mauville City, the Mirage Spots, the simplified Pokéblock mechanic, rematching trainers is extremely simple this time, mega evolutions are more commonly used in ORAS than in XY, etc.

Plus, some of the story-related changes were great (I am one of those people who enjoy story in Pokémon and was saddened by how barebones the story of X and Y were):
Steven now researches mega stones, the whole Team Aqua plot was improved and made less dumb than it was originally, the whole Delta Episode giving a reasoning to the remakes and different versions (basically, Pokémon is a multiverse and everything is technically canon)
. I still wish they would have given more focus to Gym Leaders and perhaps Elite Four too, like in the Generation V games, but eh... At least they improved the rivals, with both Wally and Brendan being more interesting characters now (and the final battle against Wally was pure bliss).

The visuals are great in this game, specially because the characters are way less chibified now. Most of the redesigns improved the characters and places... Especially the characters, which I always felt this was the worst aspect of the Hoenn games, being unmemorable in both personalities and design. Well, problem solved... mostly (The Gym Leaders are still not memorable, other than Liza & Tate IMO). The Hoenn region looks gorgeous now, some places are breathtaking (like the E4 and Champion corridors in the Pokémon League). Something they improved a lot over X and Y are the battle backgrounds. They were cool in X and Y, but lacked variety, which is a non issue in ORAS. Overall, the game is really really beautiful and I can't wait to see how Sinnoh will look like in 3D, when the eventual remake happens in Generation VII.

Oh and the remixes are gorgeous. They are less heavy on the trumpets, which might disappoint some, but the soundtrack is definitely miles better than the original. Plus, some of the original tracks (like Wally and Zinnia's battle themes) are among the best music in the series. Lastly, the game still suffers from terrible framerate, with or without the 3D effect. It doesn't hurt my enjoyment, but it'd be nice to have a Generation VI game that doesn't run like butt. I mean, Game Freak messed up the performance in Diamond and Pearl, but they fixed it with Platinum and Heart Gold and Soul Silver.

To finish this gigantic post, as I said, I really loved Alpha Sapphire. I am not sure how I rank the games anymore and I will need some time to rearrange my favorites, but I can safely say it is right on the top of the best games in the series, with Platinum and Black and White, to me.

GLuigi

Original Post

B]Game #14: Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters (PS Vita) - 14 Hours[/B]
This game was a little nice surprise for me. When I picked this up and Codename: S.T.E.A.M, I thought I would be playing Codename Steam a lot more. As it turns out, it became the opposite.

Its a tough game to recommend, as there is so many things that can turn a player off from the game . For starters, the tutorial is probably the biggest learning curve in the game. At first glance it seems like a normal turn-based SRPG, but you and the enemy move at the same time. So you pretty much have to predict where the enemy is going to be and line up your attacks. I kept failing the tutorial battle a couple times, before I was able to get it down. Second, there is a lot of gameplay stuff that is not explained in the manual. It took me a few chapters to realize that you could do free battles to grind. The "Sensory Input" system in the visual novel part of the game takes some time to get used to. Overall, it just takes awhile to settle into the game.

I did enjoy the battle system, it felt pretty rewarding whenever I was able to corner a ghost, or successfully predict where the ghost going to be whenever it was a one on one fight. Although, I did find the game a little too easy for the most part. The way I leveled up my main character, I was able to pretty much one shot everything and was pretty much be able to receive almost no damage whenever i was attacked. It wasn't until the last 5 chapters, where enemies took more than one hit and did a dent on my HP. Also, I never used any items or traps in the game, the only thing i would put up are EMP scanners that allowed me to see what was going on ahead.

Game #15: Battlefield: Hardline (PC) - 17 Hours

It took me about 8 hours to do single player campaign, the rest was playing multiplayer. Starting off with the single player campaign, i enjoyed it more than I thought I would. The first few chapters were pretty bland. If you can slog through the 3rd chapter, it gets a little more interesting. Doing stealth felt awkward at first since its faster to just shoot everyone up, but it becomes more useful towards the end of the game.

Multiplayer has been pretty fun so far. The only two modes I played a lot are Blood Money and Heist. Conquest on here doesn't seem like a great time, so I will probably just stick with BF4 for that.

Right now
Making my way through Codename: S.T.E.A.M., Might also start There Came an Echo this weekend. Might pick up a PS4 this weekend along with Final Fantasy Type-0

Teggy

Original post

Game 29: Dead Island - 24.75 hours
# Played on PC, finished 3/26. Time includes the Ryder White DLC. Slicing, mashing and shooting zombies, especially with the wealth of weapon mods available, offers a lot of fun. But without any real additional gameplay variations, the same killing and escort quests get very stale very fast. If you like to try and do side quests in your games, you'll find each area dragging, and doing these additional quests is the only real way to level up your character and feel more powerful. Some focusing of content would have done this game a lot of good. The DLC is actually very interesting as it turns the game into an FPS for the most part.

jb1234

Game 16 - Final Fantasy IV (Steam) - Started 2/27/15, finished 3/27/15 - 22:37

I will always have a soft spot for FFIV. I played it for the first time as a kid and have beaten it several times since. This was the first time I had tackled the challenging Steam version though. The bosses were especially brutal at times and I grinded a lot for the final dungeon (which seemed to go on forever, in the grand early FF tradition). I tackled the first nine hours in February, took a break to finish FFIII and returned to it in late March, polishing it off in a pretty intense week.

The difference between FF III and IV is pretty striking, honestly. The storytelling is amped way up, the characters actually have personalities and the gameplay just feels more polished and involving. This particular version doesn't always do the goofy story favors at times, with poor voice acting and the melodrama pitched even higher than before. At least Uematsu's classic score is represented well (even if it's butchered in the ending).

Original post

Not only am I going to beat 52 games, I plan to plat 73 games this year with 13 already done. 60 plats to go.

Post reserved.
---
Here's my catchup list. All times are estimates. I'll write something for each game soon.
{End date/Time played/Type of completion}

#1: Wolfenstein The New Order
Jan 2/20 hours/Platinum

#2 The Evil Within
Jan 12/60 hours/Platinum

#3 The Swapper
Jan 13/5 hours/100%

#4 Infamous First Light
Jan 16/10 hours/Platinum

#5 Littlebigplanet 3
Jan 16/26 hours/Platinum

#6 Murdered Soul Suspect
Jan 21/20 hours/Platinum

#7 Dying Light
Jan 31/20 hours/100%

#8 The Walking Dead Season 1
Feb 8/15 hours/Platinum

#9 The Walking Dead Season 2
Feb 10/15 hours/100%

#10 Evolve
Feb 24/150+ Hours/ Platinum

#11 Saints Row 4 Reelected
Mar 3/23 hours/Platinum

#12 The Order 1886
Mar 4/6 hours/Platinum

#13 Counterspy
Mar 7/12 hours/Game Completion

#14 Watch_Dogs
Mar 16/50 hours/Platinum

#15 Final Fantasy Type 0 HD
Mar 21/40 hours/Platinum

#16 Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare
Mar 22/40 hours/Platinum

Current Total 16 games and 13 platinum trophies.

Main post

Game 11: Ori and the Blind Forest (XB1) - 12h46m23s [3/28/15] ★★★★½
ori_logo_zpss8a6sfvy.png

Beat game, fully leveled up and collected all health/energy cells. Unlocked 38/50 achievements.

Really loved it. Ori's tight, challenging platforming combined with Metroid-style level and game design made for a very enjoyable experience. It's an incredibly well-designed game, and balanced almost perfectly for the skills and abilities that are unlocked over the course of the game. It also looks and sounds gorgeous; it's one of the best-looking games I've ever played, and the music is pretty great as well. Some framerate hiccups on the Xbox One are unfortunate, but otherwise are the only real faux pas with the game's presentation.

I just can't say enough about how well this game looks, plays and sounds. Ori is an excellent game, and an early contender for GOTY.

Hikami

main post
--
3a270e0b3a.jpg

Game 24: Mabinogi Duel
Playtime: 6:00
Start/Finish: Mar 23rd, 2015 - Mar 28th, 2015
// dat nostalgia
I used to play the original Mabinogi mmo a long time ago. Playing this and seeing familiar characters brings me back. Though they look like they belong in Vindictus rather than Mabinogi.. the art style is pretty inconsistent here. This is the first mobile game I've played/finished this year. It's a free to play trading card game. I've played a ton of these in the past and none have really grabbed my attention for longer than an hour. This one though is really unique, haven't ever seen this type of strategy involved in a card game. The story was interesting enough for me to finish it all the way through. It ended rather soon though since the game was in beta. I want to play more of it but I'm not too sure. It's a f2p Nexon game after all.. I've learned my lesson from all the money I've wasted on their mmo's. While it was fun, the f2p/pay to win schemes will likely make me not come back to it. Would've been a great game otherwise.

chrixter

Main post. I'll be updating this as I complete more games.

#1: Far Cry 4 - 31 hours ★★★★★
Better than Far Cry 3 in every respect. Fucking shit up in Far Cry's open world design is still incredibly fun, though the storytelling is still mediocre.

#2: Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - 12 hours ★★★★★
A fantastic surprise. I didn't much care for SM3DW's Captain Toad levels yet fell in love with this game. Incredible level design despite such small stages.

#3: Wolfenstein 3D - 3 hours ★★★
I decided to finally go through some classic FPS that I missed. Wolfenstein 3D is still a solidly playable game, but holy shit at some of those later mazes. Enabled cheats to get through to the end.

#4: Doom - 3 hours ★★★★
Gameplay is still fun. Surprised it holds up as well as it does.

#5: Doom II - 3 hours ★★
I didn't enjoy the more complex level design (all those warp points and secret doors/walls in the second half of the game, ugh) and more challenging enemies.

#6: Quake - 3 hours ★★★★★
Still extremely satisfying movement and shooting mechanics. Bleeds atmosphere with the industrial aesthetic and Reznor soundtrack. Huge improvement in level design over the Doom games.

#7: The Swapper - 4 hours ★★★
I thought I'd have enjoyed this more than I did since I love puzzle games and atmosphere, but for some reason this one didn't do much for me. Solid gameplay and puzzle design though.

#8: FTL: Faster Than Light - 17 hours ★★★★★
So, so addictive. What an awesome strategy sim/roguelike. Managed to beat normal with the default ship and stealth ship.

#9: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - 6 hours ★★★
Rented this for the campaign, first COD I've played since MW2. Some cool mechanics with the exo suit abilities but the campaign design is still far too linear and restrictive for my tastes.

#10: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut - 17 hours ★★★★★
DX:HR is one of my favorite games ever. Played through it around four times on 360, and finally got around to the Director's Cut on PC. Amazing game that strikes just the right chords with me in so many ways.

#11: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - 13 hours ★★★
This game reminded me that I don't care for the Arkham-style combat or Assassin's Creed traversal. Or terrible final bosses. Still managed to enjoy the game. Shadow Strikes never got old.

#12: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - 12 hours ★★★
Got all the KONG letters and beat the X-K levels, but this platformer didn't do much for me. I'm with Giant Bomb (minus Dan) on the soundtrack.

#13: The Bridge - 3 hours ★★★
Neat little puzzle game with interesting level rotation and gravity mechanics. Too much trial and error in its later puzzles, though.

#14: Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions - 13 hours ★★★★
I really enjoyed the campaign and ship progression with the unlockable and upgradeable drones and supers. Great level design. Blows away the other GW games IMO.

#15: South Park: The Stick of Truth - 12 hours ★★★
Solid RPG mechanics, hilarious writing, and faithful to the show.

#16: Pokemon Alpha Sapphire - 40 hours ★★★★
Enjoyable, but these games are becoming insultingly easy. Disappointing that much of the endgame content is simply rehashed from X&Y. The remade soundtrack is phenomenal.

#17: Super Mario World - 5 hours ★★★★★
Used my final Club Nintendo coins to replay this on Wii U. The gameplay is as sublime as ever. I doubt this game will ever be knocked out of my all-time top 10.

#18: Final Fantasy VII - 31 hours ★★★★
Played it on PS1 but never beat it. Finally beat the Steam version. What can I say... I think it still holds up. Love the soundtrack.

#19: Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number - 6 hours ★★★★
I didn't mind the new emphasis on bait tactics and straight-up shooting. Overall it's about on par with HM1 for me, though with a better soundtrack.

#20: Persona 4 Golden - 104 hours ★★★★★
My first experience with Persona and holy shit it lived up to the hype. Love the characters, soundtrack, story, and even the dungeon crawling. I'm not the biggest fan of JRPGs but this game is a masterpiece. Adding to my enjoyment of the game was watching the Giant Bomb Endurance Run - I'd play a few hours, then watch them play through the same content to hear their reactions. Just an amazing game all around and now one of my all-time favorites.

#21: Donkey Kong '94 - 6.5 hours ★★★
Impressive mechanics and level design for a GB game, but the physics made this less enjoyable than desired.

#22: Kid Icarus: Uprising - 7.5 hours ★★
Rail shooting was tolerable but the ground sections were frustrating to control. The game's sensational writing and voice acting kept me going.

#23: Ori and the Blind Forest - 6.5 hours ★★★★
Phenomenal 2D platforming bogged down by some uninteresting combat. Bash is one of the best platforming mechanics ever.

#24: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition - 31.5 hours ★★★★
Welp, I can see why so many love this series.

#25: Mortal Kombat: Komplete Edition - 6.5 hours ★★★
Enjoyed the story mode and dabbled a little in the other modes, but I just don't care for the gameplay much, sadly.

#26: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - 250 hours ★★★★
Got sucked back into this, big time... Two whole months of gaming time, just gone!

#27: Mario Kart 8 - 10 hours ★★★★
200cc is a game-changer. 150cc still just felt too slow. Big Blue is so, so good.

#28: Splatoon - 9.5 hours ★★★★
Enjoyed the fact that every campaign mission has its own gimmick. Multiplayer is great fun, but I don't like how the game handles gear at all which soured my interest a bit.

#29: Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition - 7 hours ★★★
Vergil playthrough was fun, but only because of the combat system. I dislike nearly everything else about this game - mission design, pacing, enemies, bosses. Couldn't get into any of the other characters either.

#30: Her Story - 3 hours ★★★★
Brilliant game concept. Even the simplest gameplay mechanics can keep you fully engaged - in this case, listening for, thinking of, writing down, and keeping track of search terms while trying to piece together a murder mystery through interview video clips.

#31: Ronin - 9.5 hours ★★★★
Awesome little stealth action game. To say it's Gunpoint meets Mark of the Ninja would be to sell its strengths short. The turn-based combat system is very well-designed, fast-paced and puzzle-like. Managing to take down entire rooms of enemies is so satisfying and makes you feel smart and badass. The game peaks with a great final level, and both endings are worth seeing. My favorite 2015 release so far. (Update: New Game Plus is hard as shit)

#32: Door Kickers - 12.5 hours ★★★★
Essentially Rainbow Six Planning Phase: The Game. Really scratches that tactical itch. Lots of content here but it starts to feel recycled after a while.

#33: New Super Mario Bros. U - 20 hours ★★★
Worlds 1 through 9 were alright, but challenge mode is where the game shines. Getting gold medals is absolutely brutal in many of those levels. It has to be the toughest Mario platformer to date. That said, I wish there were more interesting gameplay mechanics or level design elements to freshen up this series. It desperately needs it.

#34: Rocket League - 47 hours ★★★★★
Just phenomenal. It's been many years since I've enjoyed online competitive multiplayer this much. My favorite game of the year so far and surely a staple that I'll keep coming back to for a long time. I do wish it had a little more content to shake up the gameplay some, though. I also wish I was a lot better at it!

#35: Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - 20 hours ★★★★
Really enjoyed the journey but not so much the conclusion. I could say that about each chapter, actually. The intrigue surrounding each murder made the investigation portions very engaging... and then you realize you've uncovered major plot points and potentially solved the murder before the trials even begin. Most frustrating is when its "twists" are so blatantly predictable yet the game throws several obvious red herrings at you before it formally reveals those twists. Didn't see that ending coming, though, and it wasn't totally satisfying for me. The minigames are unnecessary but ultimately I didn't mind them. Enjoyed the game enough to feel excited to play the sequel.

#36: Syndicate (2012) - 6 hours ★★★
Some cool ideas here, but I don't think there was enough to differentiate the experience all that much from your typical linear CoD-style campaign. The hacking abilities just weren't as interesting as I wanted them to be. The story was particularly mediocre given its subject matter (human augmentation). And that extreme bloom effect, holy shit. Still had some fun shooting dudes in this one.

#37: Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair - 25 hours ★★★★
Better than the first in every way IMO aside from the numerous baffling gameplay tweaks/additions. Most of the trial mechanics are downright terrible. Still, I really enjoyed the game for its characters and plot shenanigans, moreso than the first.

#38: Cradle - 4 hours ★★
Sets up some interesting sci-fi ideas and mysteries, but fails to really capitalize on any of them. The lack of a satisfying ending made this feel like a waste of a few hours, unfortunately.

#39: Invisible, Inc. - 14 hours ★★★★
I'm always interested in seeing how different genres tackle stealth, which might be my favorite subgenre. Turn-based strategy stealth roguelike? I'll take it! Some UI issues aside, Klei did a great job here.

#40: Time Clickers - 2 hours ★★★
Decided to try my first idle/clicker game. "Played" it for a couple hours and feel like I had my fill of this genre. While a fun time waster, it's not appealing enough to me to become addictive.

#41: Gravity Rush - 8 hours ★★★
There was great potential here with the cool gravity shifting mechanic, but the things the game asks you to do with it aren't very fun. Combat, especially. Simply flying around was the best part of the game for me. I wanted to enjoy playing this so much more than I did.

#42: 3D Streets of Rage 2 - 3 hours ★★★
Confession: I had never played SoR2 despite owning a Genesis back in the day. Finally made amends with the 3DS version. Fun game. Excellent 3D implementation. Great soundtrack. Money and time well-spent.

#43: Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES - 63.5 hours ★★★★
The game finally gets rolling after about 20 hours and eventually reaches the highs of Persona 4. Mitsuru might be my favorite Persona character (strong presence in every scene; often felt like she was the main character), and Maya is by far my favorite social link (so entertaining throughout and a great payoff at the end of the game). Poor initial pacing, Tartarus' repetitiveness, and lack of polish prevented this from being as enjoyable as P4G for me.

#44: Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - 4.5 hours ★★★
Replayed this in preparation for The Phantom Pain, getting all 19 transferable recruits. Despite significant improvements to MGS's gameplay, I didn't find it to be all that impressive.

#45: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - 74 hours
Perhaps my most paradoxical gaming experience ever. MGSV is simultaneously one of the most addicting yet one of the most flawed games I've ever played. It offers an ambitious stealth action toolset and some of the most dynamic sandbox design to date, yet its AI is so easily exploited that I rarely felt compelled to do anything other than tranq/CQC + fulton (which was still fun). I generally enjoyed the plot and always looked forward to the next cutscene... until the game's profoundly disappointing ending soured me on the story as a whole. But although the story was ultimately unsatisfying, the core gameplay loop was so engaging that the journey still feels worth it. There are so many things to appreciate and criticize here that I don't even know if I can give it a score. Overall I feel mostly positive about the game, but I still need to let this one sink in for a long time.

#46: Super Mario Maker - 305 hours ★★★★★
Tremendous. SMM was my most anticipated game of the year and it managed to exceed my expectations. Most surprising is how fun the creation tool is, even to simply mess around and experiment with no particular goal in mind. It feels exhilarating when you come up with a new gimmick or concept and so satisfying when a level comes together. It's also given me a deeper appreciation for the original games' design and a better understanding of game development to a degree. Unfortunately the in-game curation system is almost useless for discovering well-made levels, and the lack of slopes and checkpoints are glaring omissions. Still, the value here is incredible. If you know where to search, you'll find so many amazing levels out there that could fill a Mario game many times over.

#47: Undertale - 5 hours ★★
Didn't get into Undertale the way most others have. Just couldn't connect with the characters or plot and didn't find any of its shenanigans to be all that entertaining or funny. I do appreciate how the game subverts JRPG tropes in several unexpected ways and allows for different playstyles that lead to divergent endings. It just wasn't that enjoyable to me and I have no interest in experiencing multiple playthroughs. Good soundtrack, at least.

#48: Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z - 7 hours ★★ (Won't be counting this one since I technically didn't beat it)
As a huge Ninja Gaiden fan I decided to finally give this game a shot. It's frustratingly difficult for the wrong reasons. Cheapest enemy behavior I've seen in a long time, with almost no predictable patterns and barely any perceptible tells. I could never tell whether my attacks would stagger an enemy, and you can't always dodge out of your combos, adding to the frustration. And Yaiba does shit for damage while his enemies can decimate him in seconds. It's a shame, because for the most part the combat mechanics feel fast, responsive, and pretty satisfying. It's just that everything else is so poorly designed, making for an unenjoyable experience. I have to note that it's the first game on my list that I haven't actually completed as I gave up on the final boss: a frustrating 20+ minute multi-stage affair with zero checkpoints. No thanks. I put up with a lot of bullshit from this game but the final boss is some next-level garbage. This isn't the '80s and the game isn't good enough for me to afford it my patience for that kind of shit.

#48: Yoshi's Woolly World - 14 hours ★★★★★
Good-Feel delivered GOTY material here. Consistently superb and abundantly creative level design, beautiful patchwork visuals, and wonderfully mellow soundtrack. And Yoshi's core mechanics are the best they've ever been. Just an absolute joy to play from beginning to end. Truly worthy of being in Yoshi's Island's company and easily in my top 10 platformers of all time.

#49: Downwell - 2 hours ★★★
Challenging action roguelike that plays somewhat like a downward shmup. Satisfying gameplay, but the mostly binary color palette sometimes makes it difficult to discern enemies when the action gets hectic.

#50: Life is Strange - 12.5 hours ★★★★
Stilted writing and long-winded dialogue didn't prevent this from being an otherwise enjoyable ride. Creative use of time travel, both mechanically and narratively. Poignant soundtrack.

#51: Transformers: Devastation - 7 hours ★★★
Knew it was Bayonetta-lite going in and I was still a little disappointed with how shallow it is. Still enjoyed the game (Focus/Witch Time remains one of the most satisfying gameplay mechanics ever conceived), but everything wore thin after several hours, and the whole experience is watered down by the unnecessary EXP and loot/synthesis systems. Despite my slight disappointment with the game on its merits, though, what Platinum managed to accomplish here with an obviously limited budget is impressive.

#52: SOMA - 8.5 hours ★★★★
Incredibly engaging sci-fi horror narrative experience that explores some profound existential questions in thought-provoking ways that only this medium can offer. Superb presentation, design, and pacing. I think I'd prefer if it were streamlined with less horror elements, and the writing and voice performances (particularly of the main character) can be hit or miss. But a fantastic, unforgettable experience on the whole.

#53: Fallout 4 - 51 hours ★★★★
I had fun, for sure. At times I couldn't resist some of its addictive qualities, playing for hours and hours straight. But looking back at my entire time spent in post-apocalyptic Boston I just can't help but feel that my enjoyment was largely hollow and forgettable. Can't deny that I really enjoyed parts of the game, though.

#54: Aviary Attorney - 4 hours ★★★
Enjoyable but ultimately fleeting and disappointing given the unavoidable comparisons to the high standards of the series it imitates. The time limit on investigation phases is a neat idea in that it creates a sense of urgency to collect as much evidence as possible before you're forced into trial, but unfortunately that's the extent of the game's challenge - there's nothing difficult about figuring out which evidence to present during its straightforward and simplistic trials. The game's presentation and humorous character interactions are its strengths; the real meat of the game just needs some beefing up.

VepsoO

Neo Member
Just got my account here, and time to start tracking progress..

Game #1 1953 - KGB Unleashed (PC)
Playtime: Around 4 hrs
Start/Finish: Jan 2015

Decent enough point and click adventure set in some sort of underground facility in 1953 Soviet. The puzzle design was good and the setting was interesting enough to get me through to the end.

Game #2 Aarklash: Legacy (PC)
Playtime: 24 hrs
Start/Finish: Jan 2015 - Feb 2015

Surprisingly good game this. Very much enjoyed the tactical combat, though the story is generic and quickly forgotten.

Game #3 4 Elements (PC)
Playtime: 8 hrs
Start/Finish: Feb 2015

Neat little match 3 game this. Played half an hour every now and then until I beat all the levels.

Game #4 Alan Wake (PC)
Playtime: 13 hrs
Start/Finish: Feb 2015 - Mar 2015

Absolutely love this game. Characters, setting, story is perfect. Combat is only decent though. Will go back to play nightmare difficulty and the DLC's.

Now I could actually have a chance of getting to 52, but I keep going back to endless games like EU VI, Payday 2, Cities: Skylines, AoE II, Hearthstone and XCOM all the time. We will see how this goes.

Fugu

Well, I got totally thrown off course this month, and the reason is Nethack. After thirty-four attempts and at least that many hours, I'm not even close to successfully beating it. I'm hoping to ascend at least once before the end of the year, however.

In the meantime, I did finish this:

Game #11: Kirby's Dream Land 2
1995, Game Boy
5 hours

While I'm not exactly up-to-date, I always enjoy the Kirby series and Kirby's Adventure is a game that I've replayed a handful of times, so I figured I'd check out its portable counterpart. The original Kirby's Dream Land is a game that I'm quite familiar with, and I'd characterize it as fun but overly short and easy. Indeed, as I mentioned earlier, Kirby's Dream Land 2's length and difficulty means it has far more in common with Kirby's Adventure. The games are exceedingly similar; the only major difference in mechanics is that Dream Land 2 gives you some pets to play with. With that in mind, I'd probably give the edge to Dream Land 2, which, while being shorter, has a more diverse and well-designed array of levels (including some very creative autoscrollers).

Other than that, there's not too much to say about the game, other than that I can't help but feel impressed that all of this is happening on the Game Boy. The music is top-notch, the art is at least as good as any NES game, and the game is a fair bit longer than any platformer I've played on the GB excepting perhaps Wario Land. Pretty impressive stuff.

4/5

mp1990

Banned
OG Post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=448

#13 Super Mario 3D World

So,my second finished Wii U game was as fantastic as the first one. I loved 3D Land,so i did expected much of this one,but it was even better than i thought. Great level designs,power ups (the cat suit is the best EVAH),is pretty difficulty sometimes,especially the 10 stars levels,but is never cheap,it's just one of the greatest plataformers i've played.
and Rosalina <3

#14 Far Cry 4

Let me clarify something: i'm a big fan of Far Cry 3,for me it's one of the greatest open worlds ever made. It really gave you an freedom fell,and everything on it,especially the side missions and such,were perfectly crafted. Now,let me clarify another thing: i've been hating all Ubisoft AAA since Watch Dogs,that was one of the worst games i've played. AC Unity,it was terribly generic,and i don't even talk about that trash called The Crew. Now,what i think about Far Cry 4 ? Well,better than most AAA Ubi did this year,but much worse than FC3. The open world is cool,some of the activities are pretty nice,the story is much better than FC3,even that it still bad,but it looks like they tried to replicate FC3 on a mountainous terrain,but it didn't worked at all. Like,i finished FC3 campaign with 80% of completion,i only didn't went after the collectibles; i've finished FC4 with 39%. They tried to get everything on it as good as FC3,but they couldn't hit even half of it.

Main post

Game 12: The Assignment DLC (PS4) - 3h51m02s [3/29/15] &#9733;&#9733;½
the_ta_logo_zpso7xllaoo.png

Beat the game, found all of the Archives. Unlocked 8/10 trophies.

Darker and scarier than the main game for sure, and some interesting story bits, but otherwise this was pretty underwhelming. Note to the developers: The Evil Within was not a stealth game. Stealth was just one aspect of the gameplay that you could utilize when necessary. By stripping away everything but stealth for The Assignment but not changing the gameplay substantially, it just feels like a few hours of broken stealth gameplay. The few "stealth boss encounters" are some of the worst-designed stealth sequences I've ever played. Just laughably bad.

There's a great game somewhere with The Evil Within, and it's disappointing that they haven't been able to put it all together with two cracks at it. The Assignment is dark and creepy in a way that the main game wasn't, and does a more effective job at storytelling, but the gameplay just isn't there. I'll be checking out The Consequence whenever it comes out, because I do want to see how Kidman's story plays out (seeing as there are still holes in the main game's storyline); I just hope they do a better job with the game design next time around.

Game 13: The Fall (Wii U) - 4h16m [3/29/15] &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
fall_logo_zpsiq0zbo8r.png

This was a cool little adventure game, with nice style and some creative puzzles. I had the end twist spoiled for me during Giant Bomb's GOTY deliberations, but it was still pretty interesting to go through the game and see how everything plays out having known that information in advance. A few of the puzzles were a little too obtuse for their own good, but overall, I solved most of them with an "Aha!" feeling of satisfaction. I look forward to the continuation of this as well.

LX_Theo

Banned
Game 15-17 Update

RY3LlOq.png

Game 15: Fragment's Note - 5 hours [iOS, March 17th]
# I got it after I heard about it from the PS Mobile on Vita closing. Cheap and a nice little story. Really picks up with some of the more dramatic scenes and plot twists. I played two of the three routes (because **** that third route's concept). Overall, it was enjoyable and I would recommend it for the price.

Game 16: Tales from the Borderlands - 2.5 hours [PS4, March 17th]
# Episode 2 -> Hilarious. Wonderful and the best thing from Telltale in a long time. The world works so well to just making it funny and feel as though you're actually jumping into the boots of these characters. Will count later episodes as part of this when they came out.

Game 17: Final Fantasy XV: Episode Duscae - 4.5 hours [PS4, March 19th]
# Yeah, yeah... Its a demo. I get it. But... It was quite lengthy. And fun. If it comes out in full this year, I'll count FFXV and this as one game. It certainly could use some camera refinement. Lock on needed some work. The flow works well, and that summon was awesome. Many ways it can improve, but there is a lot of potential and it shows.

Game 7 (UPDATE): Life is Strange - 3 hours [PS4, March 24th]
# Episode 2 -> Great episode. BUT **** THOSE BOTTLES. BONFIRE FOR A PARTY? WHY IS IT HIDDEN THERE? Okay... Calm now... Anyways, great episode that solidifies why these games need more developers tackling them.

Original Post

Kifimbo

header.jpg

Game 17: LEGO Lord of the Rings (PC) - 15 hours
I played the LEGO games a few times because of some demos, but I never tackled a full game. So I was pretty excited when I won LEGO Lord of the Rings, especially since I love the movie trilogy. Now I understand why people say these games are well done but also a bit shallow. The souce material is well integrated, the design is mostly really good. But the gameplay is just too simple to really elevate the game. It's mostly a one-button game, with some situations/boss requiring to basically solve a puzzle or perform a series of tasks. By the end of the game, you're really tired of doing the same thing. Almost perfect length. Nice humor. Uses of actor voices and the great movie soundtrack is a major plus.

header.jpg

Game 18: Three Fourths Home Extended Edition (PC) - 2 hours
A visual short story with barely any interaction. Since I was born in a small town in a rural region, I liked the setting. The silhouette visual style is nice, but there isn't enough variety. The story, which is about an entire family, isn't that good, it doesn't involve you emotionally. Storytelling is pretty weak. I didn't feel the answer I picked and the choices I made has any consequence on the ending. Some nice sound effects and a good soundtrack. Way too expensive right now.

header.jpg

Game 19: Gemini Rue (PC) - 7.3 hours
Always wanted to play this one, especially since the user reviews were fantastic. It's a futuristic and almost dystopic point and click adventure game. Setting is a mix between Blade Runner and you favorite space opera. Strongest part of the game. Most characters are also well fleshed out, and there is a few twists that make sense. Story gets a bit too predictable. Good atmosphere, decent music, poor voice acting. Probably a bit too much backtracking. Visually, old school style with a lot of blue and grey. I liked the game, length was perfect. It's still flawed. Controls and the interface are average. Not enough puzzles. Still worth it.

Original Post

Wazzy

Banned
Is4YQJG.jpg

Game #2: Tales Of Graces f - ???
I fought
Richard
and now I'm discussing things with Hubert since it all took place in Lhant. I haven't been putting a lot of play time into this game so I need to start playing it more.

bZNf4Jf.png

Game #3: Pokemon Omega Ruby - 32 hours and 44 minutes(Finished)
I beat this pretty fast but haven't updated my games in this thread. I finished with

Jolteon
Sceptile
Salamence
Gyarados
Flygon
Linoone

All in the level 60+ except for Jolt who I got to 100 so I could catch all of the legendaries.

dX28OYP.jpg

Game #4: Persona Q - 14 hours and 33 minutes
I picked this up a little while back and I really enjoyed what I've played. I started with P4's cast and right now my team is:

Yu
Akihiko
Koromaru
Kanji
Yukiko

and I'm in the second labyrinth.

gLqLJ2f.jpg

Game # 5: Fatal Frame II
I've been playing this with a group and the ambience and camera angles scare the crap out of us. The story is interesting and some of the sneaky ghosts really can catch you off guard(especially if you want the extra points shots) when you're just trying to get a key or new location.

vBhVf3o.png

Game #6: Final Fantasy Record Keeper
I picked this up two days ago and I love it. So much nostalgia from this and I haven't even unlocked my favourite games realm yet!

Original Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom