• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #163 - "Family"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red

Theme - "Family"

Word Limit: 2,100

(a little wiggle room this time.)

Submission Deadline: Friday, April 10 by 11:59 PM Pacific.

Voting begins Saturday, April 11, and goes until Monday, April 13 at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Grace Periods: Each of the above deadlines will be followed by a 6-hour grace period. Submissions made after the end of the grace period will be ineligible, and votes cast after the end of the grace period will not be counted. Remember that these are grace periods, not extensions of the deadline--you should still submit your work or cast your vote by the deadline set above.

Optional Secondary Objective: Memoir

This does not need to be autobiographical, but I'd encourage y'all to take a look at your histories at least for inspiration.

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ
Previous Challenge Threads and Themes

A most fitting theme for you, sire~

BQYViVT.gif

Now for brainstorming

Cyan

Banned
Are we having the hangout, due to easter?

It couldnt be sunday I suppose..

Oh, I hadn't really thought about that. Was just planning to have it at the usual time. Are there many people who can't make it on Sunday who would otherwise show up?

Neeener

Neo Member
Oh, I hadn't really thought about that. Was just planning to have it at the usual time. Are there many people who can't make it on Sunday who would otherwise show up?

I would still show up on Sunday :) In my timezone it's at 10pm so doesn't really conflict. Also open to a different time if more people can't make it!

Cyan

Banned
Well, in the absence of any other feedback, I'm going to leave the hangout at the normal time, with apologies to Sethista.

Hangout will be in a little over two hours.

Red

I won't make it. I haven't started my story yet. maybe we could set a second time during the week for those who can't make today.

Cyan

Banned
Hangout is up. Quote to see link:

Crunched, that sounds fine. Absolutely nothing wrong with doing a second one! The tricky bit is the coordination, which is usually harder on weekdays.

Tangent

Congrats Crunched! Well-deserved win! Nice prompt, very fitting for your life right now. :)

I won't make it. I haven't started my story yet. maybe we could set a second time during the week for those who can't make today.

Oooh that'd be sweet, but I bet it'd be hard to find a time that works for everyone's different time zones -- on a weeknight.

Crunched, that sounds fine. Absolutely nothing wrong with doing a second one! The tricky bit is the coordination, which is usually harder on weekdays.

Uh oops, I just reiterated what Cyan said! I didn't read all the threads before responding!

Red

I have the day off Thursday. I'm going to try to scrape a story out of whatever hours I can spare. I have the grist, but it needs grinding. I'll probably leave a gchat up part of the day if anyone wants to drop in and out.

Mike M

Nick N
I'm just gonna repost Tea With Rory and bank that nobody here this week was around the time that one won : P

Izuna

Banned
My entry won't be making it this time. It's like my other ones but, it's too emotional since it isn't really fiction.

Will be there for the next though!

Red

I'll be starting a hangout if anyone wants to drop in for late interaction/community writing. Probably near 1pm ET. I'll be on my computer most of the night for various reasons, going to try and bang a story out.

Red

Hangout up. Haven't done this before, so I hope this works.

Will leave it up for a while but got no itinerary, just goin' till we're gone.

Quote for link.

Cyan

Banned

Quote for link.

Cool! I'm at work til (at least) 5 my time so won't make it, but glad to see you got one going. :)

Sethista

Quote for link.

Working here until about 7:30 pm my time (BRT time) will try to join a little if I can, still working on my story as well.

Red

Hangout closed. I might be able to start another one if anyone is interested.

Got some good progress on my story. 1064 words so far.

Sethista

I read them all but could not give feedback for all of them, sorry.

I will be updating this post with the feedbacks as I read the entries, then add my votes on monday. Its hard to do it all at once, lets see if this works.

Aaron - An Ungodly solution
The premise is awesome, and the presentation of the gods with the character is well done. I just wish the inner wworkings of the God´s feelings and how they treated eachother were more fleshed out, it was for me the most interesting part of the story.

Zakalwe - The Future´s already Luna
The motivees of the main character are unknown as to why she wants to leave so badly, or why she is unhappy with her current situation. THe whole story is about her leaving, but it was hard for me to be simpathetic to that plight since I feel like I got very little backstory or motivation. Also, the story had alot of rules and how the world works exposition, and left me confused at times. Maybe focusing on the character nad let the info on how things work come in the background of the story would have made things clearer, ssimplify the premise, because it does feel like an interesting universe to me.

Neener - Ghost
I loved this story. Very simple, straightforward, completely in tune with the topic...The part where the writer sees his kid was very interesting, made me thnik that what he was offering her is something he wouldnt to to his own family, which made me see him as both extremely efficient and professional, and that much more of an asshole. Very good character progression.

Crunched - Reservation
I liked alot of aspects to this story, like the blending of the days together, the details getting all jumbled by the narrator as if all mondays are the same and detils dont matter, it reminds me alot of the movie Synecdoche new york, by charlie kauffman. I felt that the characters were not fleshed out enough tho, I got a pretty good sense of the dad, a little one dimensional, but everyone else just seemed to be under his thumb and that was that, no conflict. Good story overall.

Nezumi - For Lilly

I love this story, maybe because I have a 3 month old girl now, and I really want to ask you to knit a bear fr her now, so I kknow she is protected. Simple and beautiful, it completely worked for me.

1 - Neener
2 - Nezumi
3 - Mike M

Red

Sethista, thanks for the early feedback.

I guess that precludes me from making another stealth edit before the deadline.

Wait:

Cyan the Great and Powerful said:
Can I change my entry after submitting?
You can submit and then edit if you'd like (all the way up to the deadline), but finalizing before submitting is encouraged. Some people start reading/critiquing before the deadline, so if you submit, you should be ready to have that version judged/critiqued as is.

So it is written, so it shall be done.

Tangent

"Still Got Pancakes" (1571 words)

Crazily enough, this is indeed a true story. And in fact, if I were to make a sequel, the sequel would be even crazier.

This is my first time joining in and I'm really looking forward to participating in more. Critique away. :p

Welcome! Woohoo! It'll be fun to read new stories with new styles. It'll be dandy indeed.

After months of wanting to participate but chickening out, here's my first story:

Nice!!! I guess there's no time like the present!

Funny too, because I'm toying with the idea of not writing anymore. But I don't know how to kick the habit! I'd like to participate just "once in a while" but it's impossible! It's driving me nuts. Waa waa.

Racked my mind for a few days; my meagre 213 words is a monument to my lack of angle this round, bleh :eek:

Instead, spent the last few hours rewatching Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame and making this GIF in Photoshop:

hGhUIP2.gif

good times

Nezumi

((Jeez, typing this up on mobile has been quite the pain in the ass, but at least I made it before the deadline of the deadline...))

For Lily

"He's green..."
"Why on earth is his body so lumpy? And am I wrong or is his left ear slightly longer than the right one?"
"He is not even fluffy. Have you ever heard of a plushy that isn't fluffy?"
Häsi was really glad that he had such big ears, even if one was slightly longer than the other because right now they made for quite an excellent hiding place.
For over two weeks he had been longing for this day and now that it had finally come, when he had finally arrived at his new home, had met the little girl whose friend he was going to be, he wished nothing more than to be back in the plastic back with the balls of yarn.
He carefully peeked from under his ears, hoping against hope that through some miracle the others had vanished or at least had moved their attention elsewhere. But no, behind the comforting wall of green yarn he was still greeted by the reproachful glances of the cat and the panda bear, standing firmly between him and Lily, who thankfully slept in peace even though none of her guradians stood at her side at the moment. But who knew how long this would last.
Häsi pulled his ears aside and faced the two stuffed animals opposing him. Unsure where to start he thought it might be best to address their questions. "I'm handmade," he said with no little pride. "Apparently the woman who made me has trouble counting to five. This is why one of my ears is longer. Also crocheting with fluffy wool is..," he thought for a moment before he cited, "a fucking pain in the ass." He stopped, quite satisfied which what appeared to be exactly the right explanation for his taste.
The cat and the panda obviously didn't think so, for their eyes had grown wide at the use of the swear words. Häsi quickly continued his speech, afraid they might find even more things to criticize him for. "I'm not sure about the lumpiness, but green is an awesome color and besides I'm not entirely green." He indicated several parts all over his body where the green was spackled with red, blue yellow and pink. "I'm multicolored!"
The white cat made a dismissive hissing sound and the panda just shook his head. Häsi waited.
When it was clear that this was the only reaction he would get from the two of them, he decided that maybe it would be best if he just ignored them. He started towards the little girl.
"What do you think you're doing?" asked the cat, her voice dripping with distaste.
Despite himself, Häsi took a step back again, before answering. "I'm going to watch over Lily. That's why I'm here." With a smaller voice, more speaking to himself than the cat, he added, "That's why I was made..."
The cat laughed in his face. "We won't let the likes of you watch over her! Just look at you, you don't even have a label. You are literally worthless." She pointed at a cabinet in the corner. "Do yourself and the rest of us a favour and just burry yourself in the deepest drawer right away. It's where you'll end up sooner or later anyway."
Häsi wanted to open his mouth in protest, but finally crumbled under the stern glances of the two plushies. Maybe they where right after all. He had no idea what a lable was, but maybe it really was something you needed to properly watch over little girls sleeping. He looked at the cabinet. It didn't look inviting at all. It must be dark in there. Häsi didn't like it in the darkness. He had spent his first days cramped into a small suitcase, not even finished yet. He didn't want to go back to that.
He turned to the cat one last time. "Maybe I can get a label too. If you tell me where you got yours, I..."
The cat did't even let him finish, she just burst out into loud laughter. "You can't get a label. You either have it or you don't, and you obviously don't, so go to that drawer and..."
Häsi never learned what he was to do in that drawer, for before the white cat could finish her sentence, the room had suddenly grown colder. Behind the toys Lily started stirring in her sleep. A dark cloudy form was taking form above her, growing bigger and bigger. The little girl started whimpering almost inaudibly, but to Häsi it sounded like an earpiercing scream.
"A nightmare!" The panda exclaimed, his voice laden with terror. The cat turned away from Häsi looking at the dark form. "That's a powerful one. I don't think we can take it. Oh no! This is going to be another sleepless night."
Häsi watched in pure astonishment as both the cat and the panda turned away from the little girl, allowing the dark shadow to almost completely engulf her.
"What are you doing!" Without a second thought he jumped forward, past the two, onto the little girl's chest. He faced the shadow and spread his big uneven ears, shielding Lily from its dark influence. "Go away! You have no place here! If you want to hurt that little girl, you have to take it up with me first!" He puffed up his lumpy and multicolored chest, and in each of his words lay the power that had been put into every single one of his stitches. Hundreds of good wishes and warm thoughts. And without so much as a fight, the dark shadow vanished and immediately the little girl went silent again.
The cat and the panda stared at Häsi with silent admiration, but he didn't pay them any attention. He settled next to the little girl's head, covering her face softly with his big ears, whispering something only she could hear.

((I would've totally included a picture of Häsi but he is not quite finished yet ;) And I'm sure that even fancy Hello Kitty plushies wouldn't be able to notice whether or not I skipped a row while doing his ears.))

Mike M

Nick N
I am nothing if not dependable for these things. Except when I link all the entries to the same person and botch the vote tabulation in Excel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom