• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 games. 1 Year. 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fugu

Game #12: Bayonetta 2
Wii U, 2014
15 Hours

I will preface by saying that I think that the original Bayonetta is easily the best game to come out in the last ten years. My excitement for Bayonetta 2 was off the charts, especially since I basically bought a Wii U just to play it.

Of course, it's an excellent game. How could it not be? It's the same pristine combat system and wackiness that made the original such a great game. The two games are very similar indeed, and the changes are pretty small. On the good side, Platinum seems to have learned to avoid the instadeath QTEs and Space Harrier references that were by far the worst part of the first game. In a similar vein, the non-combat parts of the stage seem generally more interesting, which is nice. You also don't gave to worry nearly as much about backtracking all the way to the beginning of the level for alfheims, which was kind of annoying. I also applaud the choice to let you play on the equivalent of hard from the outset, which I found to be a pretty good challenge.

On the bad side? I don't know. The issue that keeps getting my attention is that I still feel that the original Bayonetta is a better game because it focused more on generic enemies and less on bosses. Bayonetta 2 has so many enemies that you only fight once that I felt I was not in my groove for so much of the game. But honestly, I think this is because I played so much Bayonetta that I was expecting to breeze through the game, and the further I got the more I felt that Bayonetta 2 could be as good as its predecessor.

Anyway, as of right now this is the best game I've played this year, and I've played some damn good games this year.

5/5

8. Donkey Kong Jr. Math

image.jpg

Original post

kfXh3ZMl.jpg

18. Wing Commander II: Vengeance of the Kilrathi (PC)
All missions complete, (nearly) all optional objectives completed along the victory path.

Back in the day, Wing Commander II was pretty much everything you could ask from a sequel. The story and presentation were more elaborate, with actual voices for the first time in a Wing Commander game--and remember, Wing Commander was already pushing the envelope in terms of multimedia capabilities. You had a whole new array of ships at your disposal and nifty new toys like turrets, jump drives and torpedoes. And all of the series' hallmarks were still intact, like the branching campaign and the melodrama starring everyone's favourite player stand-in, Captain Blair. Or, at this point in the franchise, Bluehair--you were the one to give him his actual name, after all.

But possibly even more so than the original Wing Commander, Vengeance of the Kilrathi has aged horribly. True, it works better under DOSBox in that the framerate no longer takes a dive in busy firefights unless you intentionally set DOSBox up that way. But at the same time, the default GOG configuration is too quick for nimble fighters like the Ferret and Epee, making dogfights tedious. Worse, some of the new changes to combat in WC2 make the penalty for mistakes that much higher. Case in point: I spent over an hour and a half on a single late-game mission because in addition to my wingman being useless (a franchise staple, sadly) and having to fight overwhelming odds flying beefed-up fighters, I also had to take down a destroyer with only two torpedoes. It would've been four had my wingman not reliably punched out or fled the scene every single time, but c'est la vie.

Five times I managed to make it through the heavy defense around the destroyer, only to discover that the game's new damage model made finishing the mission impossible. Either one or both of my torpedoes had been destroyed, or my targeting system had been wrecked, thus preventing me from firing any missiles at all despite having a hard lock. Once, I managed to take the destroyer down, only to die on the way home anyways. Finally, after 100 minutes of torture, I made it home in one piece--barely.

Wing Commander II has all the problems the first game did. I died countless times because an enemy fighter rammed me (that's the screenshot you see above, taken after I crashed into an enemy fighter, which then caused the game itself to crash). I died because I hit the giant hitbox of a capital ship, despite not seeing any of the ship's enormous sprite. I died multiple times because my own wingman shot me down. There are AI issues, DOSBox issues, and issues fundamental to the game engine (example: the giant deadzone on the joystick and the aforementioned sprites vs. hitbox issue). Ultimately, what Wing Commander really deserves is a modern remake, because the originals just don't hold up anymore.

I've never played Wing Commander III, though I have played IV. III introduced a brand-new game engine with actual 3D models. I hope it aged better.

Original Post

Game 7: Disaster Report (PS2) 5 hours
I played this game out of duty, because I really want to play its sequel, Raw Danger, because I heard many good things about it. The two games aren't really connected to the point where you have to play one after the other and I've read that you should skip the first one if you want to. But I'll be making a video about them so I thought it was best that I do check out the first game.

I almost wish I had skipped it. The game has you trying to survive and get to safety while a natural disaster sinks a man made island you're on. You have a backpack with supplies that you have to manage, but it never really becomes a critical part of the gameplay. There's not really a lot of survival gameplay aside from the regular move your ass to escape the falling buildings and whatnot. Most of the game consists of what I would call "lock-pick gameplay" it's like a point and click adventure, there's a single solution to solving a puzzle and the game won't let you progress until everything is put in place, only then will the new path open up to you. There's some interesting set pieces but the city seems so empty. You rarely encounter other survivors. There's a few action and stealth sections that feel tacked on to justify the yawn-worthy twist ending and overall I thought this game was "meh." There's multiple endings but I don't feel like unlocking any of them. I just got regular ending #1.

Game 8: Sky Crawlers (Wii) 8 hours
I LOVE THIS GAME. I also like the anime it's based on. I've watched the movie and I thought it was one of the best anime movies I've ever seen, right next to Akira. I would get tons of flack for that if people actually read the 52 games in a year section because the movie has a lukewarm fanbase. I don't care, I loved it. The movie, and this game, really reminded me graphic novel-like narrative from Ace Combat 4.

As a fan of the entire PS2 Ace Combat trilogy, I was amazed to discover this game and find out it was made by the same Project Aces team. It really shows, it is like an alternate history WWII Ace Combat game. That's exactly what I always wanted. Bravo! My dream game was made! ... Almost... The controls let this game down. They tried to be bold and use the Wii-mote nunchuck as a flightstick and throttle and it plainly doesn't work. You can't get the plane to do anything you want it to do. It is an absolute necessity to play this game with the Pro controller. Even then it's not perfect. You can't adjust the controls on the Pro and the rudder is stuck to the D-pad, so good luck using the controls in expert mode. It's unusual for me, but I used normal mode, which gives you controls similar to Rogue Squadron. Not too bad, I can deal with it. The game wasn't that difficult but everything else was awesome. I want to hug whomever came up with the idea for this game and hiring Project Aces to work on it, then punch whomever came up with the controls.

GLuigi

Game #17 Code Name: S.T.E.A.M (3DS) - 32 Hours
When this game got first announced, I was all over it. Intelligence Systems making a game akin to Valkryia Chronicles was like a dream. Although what it did turned out to be for me was a bit of a bumpy ride. At first, I had a really hard time getting into it. The enemy's turn felt a little bit too long for me to the point where I could only stand to play one map per session. (Although a patch is coming to speed that up) It also felt that the game was using (what seemed to be) an endless amount of enemy reinforcement as a crutch for difficulty for the first half of the game. I remember in a map in chapter 4 where I had to restart because I was stuck in a stalemate and couldn't finish the objective because the enemy kept spawning way too many reinforcements.

It wasn't until I started to unlock more of the cast when I started to get really into the game. Having the cast being made up of characters from American literature is pretty neat. Just having the option to use different teams depending on the situation made the game for me. Overall its a decent game that could of been a lot better with a few tweaks.

Game #18: Pillars of Eternity (PC) - 40 Hours
Played on Normal, ended up skipping most of the side quests during the last act (whcih could of easily added another 10 hours to my total gameplay time) since I wanted to move on to other games. I plan on finishing those once I completed this challenge.

This is game is flat out amazing. From the art, to the lore, to the character customization and etc. just everything about it is something to praise about. My favorite part of the game is just emphasis on exploration. Not being able to see all of my surroundings whenever I walk into a new area, I had a blast just taking the time to look every corner of the map and being excited for what kind of enemies comes at me next.

I wasn't the biggest fan on how endurance had its own lifebar. What happen when your endurance runs out is that character becomes knocked out for the rest of the battle and can't come back until the fight is done or you do a revive spell. Although over time I got over it when I had better strategies to maintain everyone's endurance. I also would like to see more side quests that becomes available as a result of your actions in an earlier side quest. There was only one side quest that did that and it happened to be my favorite one. I was pleased to see that your actions in some of the side quests be mentioned in the overall plot

This game will easily take a spot in my favorite games of 2015, can't recommend this enough.

Right Now
Started Final Fantasy V (the PS1 port). I will try to finish Pillars of Eternity this weekend
Probably not

EDIT: Hey I actually finished PoE! Anyways started working on One Piece: Romance Dawn and also going to pick up where I left off in Final Fantasy Type-0

Original Post

Herbshire

Might as well give this a shot :)

Finished Games

#1 - Wolfenstein: The New Order
Finished - January
Length - 15 hours
Platform - Xbox One

Some of my first gaming memories are of playing Wolfenstein with my cousin and being blown away at the graphics. So it made me pretty happy to be playing Wolfenstein again 20 odd years later! Crazy story & some damn enjoyable shooting helped me start my 'next gen' console gaming off right.

#2 - Sunset Overdrive + The Mystery of Mooil Rig DLC
Finished - March
Length - 25 hours
Platform - Xbox One

This game took me a couple of hours before I actually go into it, but once I did I would come back to it pretty much every night after work. Even though it was not the first game I purchased for the Xbox One it so far has been the most enjoyable. (Still need to play the new DLC so I will update this as soon as I do)

Currently Playing

#3 - Brütal Legend
Finished - ETA April
Length -
Platform - PC

Just started playing this one after it being in my backlog for a long long time; as a fan of metal I should have played this years ago.

#4 - Subnautica
Finished - ETA April
Length -
Platform - PC

This is an early access game available on Steam which is surprisingly polished. First game that I have actually recorded for a lets play/first play and put on YouTube.

#5 - Neverwinter
Finished - ETA May
Length -
Platform - Xbox One

I'm a founder for the PC version but for some reason playing this on the couch with sport snapped to one side makes this even better!

#6 - Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth
Finished - ETA May
Length -
Platform - 3DS

Never played a Persona game, from the very brief time I have played so far its pretty cool.

#7 - Danganronpa
Finished - ETA May
Length -
Platform - PS Vita

GAF recommendation & some good PS+ sales and this ends up on my list !​

That's it for now!

12 down, 88 more to go (I'm doing a 100).

Metro 2033 (Complete!)

Samurai Warriors 4 (Complete!)

Plants VS Zombies Garden Warfare (Complete!)

REmake (Complete!)

MGR Main Story (Complete!)

MGR Sam DLC (Complete!)

MGR Bladewolf DLC (Complete!)

RE:Rev EP1 (Complete!)

RE:Rev EP2 (Complete!)

RE:Rev EP3 (Complete!)

RE:Rev EP4 (Complete!)

Dragon Ball Xenoverse Story Mode (Complete!)

Next up: The Order if I can get through it, Alan Wake, Indigo Prophecy, and I don't know what else I can put on the docket. If you guys have suggestions for a PS3/PS4/PC/Vita/3DS/Wii U owner, I'm all ears.

original post

18. Under Defeat HD (PS3) - 4 hours;

This took me quite a few tries, since I didn't grasp some mechanics for quite some time (like how to properly use the secondary weapon). And the final boss is a bitch. Anyway, I don't know too many bullethell shooters to compare this too, but it has pretty kickass music and a decent enough setting plus action. Turning the vehicle really needed to be on the shoulder buttons though and there's tons of slowdown. I can't deny that I got through several situations solely because of that. And while the action can be quite rewarding, eventually losing lifes with all missiles because of some shot out of nowhere were some of my more frustrating gaming moments recently.

Anas

Banned
I've finished so far ..

1- Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix HD
Finished 2015.01.30 | 75 Hours.

2- Saints Row The Third
Finished 2015.02.03 | 20 Hours

3- Beyond : Two Souls
Finished 2015.01.31 | 20 Hours

4- Red Dead Redemption
Finished 2015.02.07 | 18 Hours

5- Portal 2
Finished 2015.02.09 | 08 Hours

6- Lightning Returns : Final Fantasy XIII
Finished 2015.02.12 | 30 Hours

7- The Wolf Among Us
Finished 2015.02.19 | 11 Hours

8- Resident Evil Revelation 2 Episode 1
Finished 2015.02.28 | 02 Hours

9- Far Cry 4
Finished 2015.02.28 | 28 Hours

10- DuckTales Remastered
Finished 2015.03.04 | 03 Hours

11- Resident Evil Revelation 2 Episode 2
Finished 2015.03.04 | 02 Hours

12- Trine 2
Finished 2015.03.06 | 07 Hours

13- Resident Evil Revelation 2 Episode 3
Finished 2015.03.11 | 03 Hours

14- Resident Evil Revelation 2 Episode 4
Finished 2015.03.17 | 05 Hours

15- Resident Evil Revelation 2 The Struggle
Finished 2015.03.18 | 01 Hour

16- Resident Evil Revelation 2 Little Miss
Finished 2015.03.18 | 02 Hours

17- Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale
Finished 2015.03.27 | 12 Hours

18- Life is Strange Episode 1
Finshed 2015.03.29 | 02 Hours

19- Little Big Planet 3
Finished 2015.03.29 | 10 Hours

20- Metal Gear Solid V : Ground Zeroes
Finished 2015.04.01 | 02 Hours

21- Life is Strange Episode 2
Finished 2015.04.01 | 02 Hours

22- Digimon All-Stars Rumble
Finished 2015.04.07 | 11 Hours

23- L.A Noire
Finished 2015.04.08 | 16 Hours

24nished 2015.04.11 | 12 Hours

25- Final Fantasy XV Episode Duscae
Finished 2015.04.22 | 04 Hours

26- inFamous First Light
Finished 2015.04.24 | 05 Hours

27-Final Fantasy Type-0 HD
Finished 2015.04.26 | 27 Hours

28- Never Alone
Finished 2015.05.01 | 05 Hours

29- inFamous Second Son
Finished 2015.05.03 | 10 Hours

30- Super Mario 3D Land
Finished 2015.05.09 | 12 Hours

31- Resident Evil 4 HD
Finished 2015.05.09 | 16 Hours

32- Unfinished Swan
Finished 2015.05.13 | 02 Hours

33- Final Fantasy X-2 HD
Finished 2015.05.15 | 19 Hours

34- Life is Strane Episode 3
Finished 2015.05.22 | 04 Hours

35- The Evil Within
Finished 2015.05.23 | 13 Hours

36- Devil May Cry HD
Finished 2015.05.25 | 07 Hours

37- Naruto Shippuden Storm Revolution
Finished 2015.05.26 | 08 Hours

38- Devil May Cry 2 HD
Finished 2015.05.26 | 04 Hours

39- inFamous Cole's Legacy
Finished 2015.05.28 | 01 Hour

40- Gone Home
Finished 2015.05.30 | 01 Hour

41- Devil May Cry 3 HD
Finished 2015.05.31 | 10 Hours

42- The Evil Within The Executioner
Finished 2015.06.03 | 02 Hours

43- Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare
Finished 2015.06.03 | 40 Hours

44- The Evil Within The Assignment
Finished 2015.06.05 | 03 Hours

45- The Evil Within The Consequence
Finished 2015.06.06 | 02 Hours

46- Facade
Finished 2015.06.10 | 02 Hours

47- Resident Evil: The Umbrella's Chronicles
Finished 2015.06.18 | 05 Hours

--

1-10

Dr. Buni

Original post

Game #20: Luigi's Mansion

niU37d9.png

What a little bizarre game. It isn't scary, but it is definitely... well, bizarre. Luigi's uncanny facial expressions, the creepy music that plays when you are fighting the portrait ghosts, the headless/inverted head robot Bowser, etc. The gameplay is quite fun and creative, but the controls aren't that great, unfortunately. It is understandable since it is an early Gamecube game, but still. The soundtrack is one of the games weak points, having almost no variety, but at the same time, I like that you mostly listen to Luigi humming during most of the game.

Exploring the mansion was really fun. That + the ghost portrait and the bosses are the highlights of the game to me. Oh and I really like how Luigi has his own nemesis, namely King Boo. It is just a shame they shoved Bowser in the final fight so it wasn't purely Luigi vs King Boo.

Zoracka

7YFVHjv.png

Steam Link

#9 - The Walking Dead Season 1 + 400 Days (12-13 hours, PC)
The Walking Dead is based on the comics of the same name - rather, it takes place in what I'd assume is the same universe. I suppose it's the same concept. I don't know, I haven't read the comics (I did watch the first season of the TV show and I disliked it). You might consider this is a disclaimer as I'm not too fond of the zombie setting in general. I usually find the stories predictable and not very enjoyable, maybe because I've watched a lot of zombie action or maybe because zombies as an entity is not an interesting enemy; they don't really have any motivation other than wanting fresh blood and brains. I do think Telltale's beautifully animated The Walking Dead Season 1 does a rather good job, however.

You control Lee Everett, a convict and a history teacher. Lee is on his way to prison on the first day of the outbreak, but due a zombie coming out of nowhere he ends up crashing the car. Lee finds a house where a little girl named Clementine lives. Her parents are in Savannah, so she was being babysitted while the outbreak happened. Lee promises to take care of the youngling and that they together will find her parents. Exactly this is why I think they did a pretty good job the game. You have a goal. It's not bland like "oh, I need survive" or lame as "oh, we need to find a cure and I for some reason have magical powers that allows me to mix random chemicals and find a cure". No, it's simple and character driven: you need to help a little girl through hell and find her parents. That's your resposibility. But it's not only Clementine that you'll have to take into consideration: throughout the game you'll meet other characters that will follow you and sometimes you'll follow them. Most of the characters are well written and seems very authentic - especially a character like Kenny. You might not like him or agree with him, but as a character he seems real, he acts like a real human might would do in a situation like this. I applaud Telltale for their writing, it's great. While I did like the diverse set of side characters, it's Lee and Clementine that matters and it's basically their relationship that the game centers around. I do feel their relationship and how it evolves throughout the story is believable and you really start to care about her and want to protect her (I guess the same goes for some of the side bigger side characters). Episode 2 spoiler:
That said, I do hate how they determine whether or not Kenny likes you. If you don't support him in killing Larry he will dislike you throughout the game.

Warning (Spoiler): The following section is spoiler tagged. While I don't mention any specific spoilers, like character X dies because of Y, I will allude to certain events and it might be very obvious what sections I'm writing about and thus spoil the game anyway. So don't read further unless you don't care or you have played through the game. You've been warned!
It's obvious that The Walking Dead focuses on story telling - Instead of just having a static story playout in front of you, there are decisions to make, some tougher than other. Some of them are supposed to shape how to story goes. While this is somewhat true, I can't deny I am very disappointed as a second playthrough shows how much the game only gives you the sense of choice rather than changing actual events. There are situations where you must choose which character to save - sometimes the outcome is the same and it's always the same character that survives and other times the rescued character just dies later in the game. It's slap in the face each time you start a new season as the game will tell you "This game series adapts to the choices you make. The story is tailored by how you play.", because the game will always end with the same outcome - certain characters may or may not die and you can't really do anything to change that!

That said, The Walking Dead is a pretty good game. I would've liked the choices to shape the game as much as decisions did in Heavy Rain. But what the game lacks in game-shaping choices, it has in story telling and writing and it's ultimately the strongest aspect of the game. The Walking Dead has shown me that stories in a zombie setting can be done really well when you focus on characters and dilemmas rather than zombies as enemies. They are obviously there and they work as a catalyst for progressing the story. Even though I mentioned some negative aspects of the game, The Walking Dead is definitely recommended.

400 days (DLC)
This short DLC (1½ hours) tells the story of 5 different characters in 5 totally different scenarious. Each episode takes around 15-20 minutes to complete. I'm very indifferent about these; you don't really care about any of the characters, but they do show how the world looks 400 days after the outbreak. How you shape each character will impact how the story in The Walking Dead Season 2 will evolve. It was a fun little experience and if you enjoyed the main part of The Walking Dead, you'll probably also like this.

Original Post.

hnzn4cF.png

15h-ish. Finished game, completed all sidequests I found, no DLC. This is another game that I didn't like at first, but I ended enjoying it quite a bit. Great to play in short bursts, and deceptively hard, great art direction and fantastic music, this is not a game I will soon forget.

Updated OP

Hikami

main post

c29fd6506d.jpg

Game 31: Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword
Playtime: 22:10
Start/Finish: Apr 3rd, 2015 - Apr 9th, 2015
// Started to play older fire emblem games (Awakening was my first FE game) while "if" comes out. Checked out Fire Emblem (7) on the GBA and enjoyed it. Some parts in the story just dragged on though and I found it hard to play this game more than one chapter at a time. Since there's no world map, it was just always battle after battle and got fatigued from that pretty quickly. Anyways, Sacred Stones next.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Well I was on pace. And then MH4 came out. And Now Xenoblade N 3DS is coming out. ; (

ovii

Game 8: Dying Light 15 hours PS4 *March 6th*
I started playing online and joined someone who was extremely helpful, and even gave me a bunch of loot. We progressed through the game together up to the second last chapter. As for the game, I loved the atmosphere of being almost helpless during the night. I may have been extremely lucky playing with a group of decent guys online. It was everyone's first playthrough. I imagine like I was in the game, where I met a group of strangers attempting to be polite just to survive.

Also, I believe a new update came out with a few fixes and even a new mode. Might have to try this out.

Game 9: Valiant Hearts: The Great War *March 9th*
I love the trophies for this game. 1. Some will survive. 2. ...some will not.

Game 10: Battlefield Hardline *April 8th*
Battlefield is not known for it's single player. Unfortunately, Hardline did not change that.

Dryk

Original Post - Part 1
Original Post - Part 2

Game #27: Valiant Hearts: The Great War: 4.9 hours
This is an amazing, touching story about a family torn about by a war they had no stake in. Many moments, especially the ending are very powerful and I think the art-style was used pretty effectively to show a lot of the horrors of war without making it too explicit.

And then occasionally and evil cackling German man shows up and you have a boss battle. BECAUSE VIDEOGAMES.

Overall though, I think the fact that the game seems to stop every few scenes and try to be a videogame (even though it doesn't seem to know why) doesn't drag down the overall experience too much. The good most certainly outweighs the bad, I just wish it was a little more consistent in its use of tone.

Midn1ght

Update :

Game #8 : Never Alone
o4oVhB2.jpg

Rating: ★★★☆☆ - Platform: PS4 - Developer: Upper One Games
Good little game with really nice art and spirit. The game is both beautiful and educating at the same time. The gameplay is a bit clunky now and then and very short with no replayability value. There's also a lot of small documentary videos which are always welcome.

Original Post

StingX2

IfZ21it.png

Game Beaten #32 Tappingo (3DS) - 10 Hours
(Started 2014 / Finished 4/10/15)

Tappingo is like the long lost cousin to picross. The objective is to unwrap tiles to make the picture but if a tile can only unfold 5 times, that is all you can do to complete the stage. It makes you look at the game at a different angle than you would initially think. Unfortunately most of what you make, like Picross, is very boring and the game fails to hold long term interest. The 103 puzzles feel like they take forever. On the flip side if you like puzzle games for the 3 or 4 bucks on the eshop you can get a solid ten hours of puzzles in.

OG Post2

Dr. Buni

Original post

Game #21: Outland

8hokU34.png

I am counting this game as finished, even though I couldn't beat the final boss. I simply don't have the reflexes necessary to beat them, but I don't think it would be fair to throw away my progress with the game and consider the game shelved just because of a boss. I really tried to beat them, but the final boss is basically a hardcore shmup boss. I can't.

The game is neat, it has a great art style and atmosphere and the gameplay sort of reminds of Guacamelee, but instead of shifting between dimensions, the main character change the color of his body. When blue, he is immune to blue projectiles and also able to hurt red enemies. When he is red, the opposite is valid. That is an interesting mechanic I think, but also really tiring, because the game wants you to be 100% focused all the time. For those who like games that barely let you breath, Outland is recommended, but to me those games are far too tiring.

The highlight of the game are the bosses. They are only a few, but all really fun and challenging. Well, the first one not so much. Lastly, the soundtrack is really bad and given how important music is to me, that is a big letdown. In short, Outland is to me a neat game, but nowhere near as close to be one of my favorites. That said, it is a really cheap game, so why not give it a try if you haven't played it yet?

original post

Silent_Hill_logo.png

19. Silent Hill (PS1) - 6 hours;

Damn, even as a PS1 title, the original Silent Hill is still a more terrifying world than anything offered by (pseudo) horror games today, including P.T.. Art direction and sound design are completely insane. And I can't put my finger on what else still made this so scary, but it still works (even though I've already seen several parts of this game before). It also still plays okay, despite a wonky camera. But even though the atmosphere of the original trilogy is superior, I still always found other survival horror series a little better. The style of exploration and in particular the style of puzzles the series uses can be a little tedious and just not as enjoyable as for example old Resident Evil. I was close to checking up a guide several times (and I really don't like looking into guides). I got the bad ending and als don't really feel like going for the good one just because I don't wanna do that puzzle before the first boss again, lol. Still, great game. Unfortunately, I ran into the PS3 emulation glitch (with the noises) several times during the final parts.

20. The Sky Crawlers (Wii);

20140520041857!The_Sky_Crawlers_Innocent_Aces_Cover.jpg

I spontaneously picked this up after finding it new in a store for ten bucks a few months ago. After reading the impressions on this page, I also decided to play it now. And my feelings are pretty much the complete opposite of the previous poster. The motion controls are great, I didn't even know that the nunchuck was able to be this precise. I didn't really play any other flight action games like Ace Combat to compare it to, but even though this has an okay variety within missions and some fun mechanics, it's actually kinda simple at its core. The Nunchuck as the steering stick is the element that tops it off and makes it more fun.
The rest was a little off putting however. The anime this is based on seems cheesy and a little odd, plus with the way it is implemented in here between missions, any kind of dramaturgy falls flat and playing some faceless protagonist doesn't work at all. The often bland and realistic graphics for the environments and planes also don't really work well with the anime aesthetics thrown in for everything else and hence kinda rubbed me the wrong way. There's some colourful maps too, but not enough. There only were two or three missions that annoyed me, but it wasn't really because of the controls either.

Original post

raZfEJ3l.png

19. Chain Chronicle (Android)
All story missions up to Chapter 9 complete (which is where the end of the story was when I first started playing).

I played a ton of Tiny Tower a few years ago. I feel like I got something out of the game in the end, but I could never shake the feeling that what drove me was compulsion more than enjoyment. It turns out that's just how many free-to-play games are, because Chain Chronicle leaves me with much the same feeling. Except where Tiny Tower would politely prod you every so often to consider its microtransactions to speed things up, Chain Chronicle feels more aggressive--but not in the way you'd expect.

The basic gameplay loop of Chain Chronicle is straightforward. You select a party of four (plus two backups) out of a pool of characters you collect like trading cards. In battles, you have to protect a back line from waves of enemies. If they manage to kill all your characters or pass the back line, the battle is over (though of course you can revive your party using microtransaction items!) and you have to start again. Battles cost stamina, and you don't get that stamina back if you lose a battle. There are a few more wrinkles that seem common to this type of game (characters have classes and abilities and associated quests) but that's most of the gameplay in a nutshell.

If you've never played this kind of game before, what might not immediately pop out at you is that the gameplay loop is kind of boring, once you've got it down pat. This occasionally screws you out of stamina, as battles can sometimes be so boring that you don't even pay attention to what's going on, which is precisely when the game sends a fast runner to dodge your fighters and break your back line, thus causing you to lose. Sometimes, to add insult to injury, the game will then pop up a "special stamina offer!" to exploit your fresh loss.

Character and enemy levels are pretty important in Chain Chronicle, which means low-level battles are stupendously easy and high-level battles are basically impossible without lots of revive fruits. So most of the gameplay comes not from micromanaging characters in battles, but collecting and upgrading characters. There are plenty of ways to do this, only some of which involve actual money. But the GAF consensus seems to be that the success rates even for the paid options are so low that it's not really worth throwing money at the game, as it's closer to gambling than anything. On the one hand, that's good because pay-to-win isn't an issue; on the other hand, it's also bad because it doesn't mean the free path is any easier. It's still a grind to upgrade your characters and it's still a grind to get new ones and it's still very much luck of the draw whether the new characters you collect from the gacha are any good.

I think I'll still peek into Chain Chronicle every so often. One of the nice things about free-to-play games is there are always new events to bring people back, which breaks up the monotony of doing the same daily quests to build your party up to tackle the next storyline quest and eventually catch up to the end of the story content. But with little concept of when the story actually will end, I've decided to call this game done and officially move on. As free-to-play games go, it's not bad, but ultimately it's still compulsion over enjoyment. Oh, and anime boobs. Lots of ridiculous anime boobs.

Dryk

Original Post - Part 1
Original Post - Part 2

Game #28: BOXBOY!: 9.8 hours
General consensus is about right on this one. Amazingly charming game with a good amount of content, it just doesn't get that complicated or consistently difficult until over 100 levels in. The 5 post-game worlds where it's actually throwing everything it has at you are pretty great though. The unlockable costumes are even more adorable than the vanilla game and the score attack and time trial levels are really good. I managed to finish all the score attack levels but could only figure out how to beat par on half of the time trials.

Original post

March Update

call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-walkthrough.jpg

Game 8: Call of Duty Advanced Warfare (XBONE) - 12 hrs
This was surprisingly good after the bad taste Ghosts left in my mouth. Kevin Spacey is a phenomenal actor which holds up the story. The game looks great. The best looking call of duty to date. The exo suits and futuristic tech was awesome to use. The suits worked well in the story. I was playing on veteran so I didn't get a chance to use it to its full ability. Its a nice block buster game.

Transistor_Wallpaper.jpg

Game 9: Transistor (PC) - 7hrs
After playing Bastion last year It was one of my favorite games in a long time. The follow up game Transistor wasn't any different. I can say that the story was a little confusing in the beginning but it all starts to make sense as you go on through these beautify designed worlds. The story also hits a turn that left my jaw on the floor. That's just the story. The game play while not as good as bastion in my opinion is so very deep with its combinations and ways you can tackle at enemies. Its a very thought provoking strategy type of game. It works very well and makes this game very fun. The voice acting is also excellent. The music is also excellent and you have a specific button to hum to the soundtrack!! Just the attention to detail in this game. Bravo to these guys!

gta-5.jpg

Game 10: Grand Theft Auto V (XBONE) - 30 or so hours
After The amazing story of GTA IV The topped it tenfold in V They took that one amazing bank heist level in GTA IV (The best mission in the game) and made that the part of the game and story in 5. The heists are amazing and the story for each character is just crazy how they can incorporate three different cultures and lifestyles into one game. The amount of technical details in this game is almost unmatched. The multiplayer is just even more hours of fun.

battlefield4kinectsep2013_616.jpg

Game 11: Battlefield 4 (PC) - 6 hours
The story = MEH
The multiplayer = Great, The frostbite engine looks great on PC.

e4ca7d69-06f9-48bc-bfdf-f5d239414b6c.jpg

Game 12: Forza Horizon 2 Fast and Furious - 4 hours
Got this for free. Love forza horizon and love fast and furious. This is a cool theme for this game. The races were intense the map was large, the cars are the same ones from the movie. Ludacris was a nice addition as the voice over. Watching the movie after finishing this was a cool feeling. (RIP Paul Walker)

Hikami

main post

0a6baa9678.jpg

Game 32: Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment
Playtime: 101:00 (2015: 61 hours)
Start/Finish: Sep 22, 2015 - Apr 12th, 2015
// dream game for SAO fans.
I love the Sword Art Online anime series, loved this game even more. So much content packed in there and I didn't even get through all of it. Localization problems aside, the game was fun and addicting. Can't wait for Lost Song to come over.
--
edf91019d8.jpg

Game 33: Story of Seasons
Playtime: 25:00
Start/Finish: Feb 26th, 2015 - Apr 21st, 2015
// first game I regret buying this year
The game seems to have no end to it I assume so stopped at 25 hours. Didn't enjoy it and that was all my fault. I was expecting something more along the lines of rune factory (i knew it didn't have combat) but the characters and environments weren't up to par.. and it just bored me.
--
d23b6ef19f.jpg

Game 34: Etrian Mystery Dungeon
Playtime: 28:25
Start/Finish: Apr 6th, 2015 - Apr 21st, 2015
// good game
Haven't played a mystery dungeon game before this since Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Blue on DS. This was much better than that. Besides the horrible AI, the game was addicting and fun.

Sioul

Original post

March Update

Only 3 games, started and played a lot of AC3 but couldn't finish in time.

veKaBvW.jpg

Game 8 (March 4): The Bureau: XCOM Declassified (Xbox 360) ~ 20 Hours - ★★★☆☆
The gameplay is like Mass Effect with a worse AI, the story was okay until some point and there was some technical issues, anway it is a fun game.

nmMvXKv.jpg

Game 9 (March 9): Tomb Raider (Xbox 360) ~ 30 Hours - ★★★★★
A perfect reboot, loved the plot and the gameplay, the isle is fun to explore and the pacing is really good. The game is really well made and I can't wait to play the sequel. On the other side, the multiplayer is really bland.

JdHHzip.png

Game 10 (March 12): #IDARB ~ 4 Hours - ★★★☆☆
Fun and chaotic game. It really needs a 4v4 online instead of 1 console vs 1 console

Original post

e4Erbo2.jpg

20. Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
All normal stages complete, 2 stars. I used the White Tanooki suit about 10 times. Zero fucks given.

You'd think that after so many years of playing video games, I'd have gotten this one out of the way sooner, but here we are: I have finally finished a Mario game.

Mind you, there's still a ton of content left to Super Mario 3D Land--so much so that the game completion screen itself says I've only done two-fifths of the job. But this doesn't matter to me, nor does the fact that I used the White Tanooki suit to fly through a few of the more difficult stages. I've known for a long time that I'm bad at platformers, and Mario games in particular; it's taken years to realize that I might actually be able to beat one and get some enjoyment out of it. I thought Super Mario Galaxy might be the first, but I'm currently stalled in that game thanks in part to a control scheme I feel I have to fight when I play it. So here we are: Super Mario 3D Land is my first completed Mario game.

Though I'm still not that great at platformers, I do finally see why people like Mario games. 3D Land is a wonder to play, both visually and mechanically. For starters, it's the only 3DS game I've played to date where I spent the majority of my time in 3D mode instead of 2D mode (too bad I can't check that box off on a Club Nintendo survey anymore!). Nintendo's struck the right balance by making 3D a useful tool for navigating the various stages, but not a requirement. But besides the 3D stuff, the game looks great.

And while I screwed up a bunch of times in 3D Land, it usually didn't feel like the game had gone out of my way to make me fail, or required substantially more dexterity than I'm capable of (hello Rocky Road planet from Galaxy). Nearly all the places I ended up using the White Tanooki felt like they might be doable if I was willing to put in the time and eat the frustration of failed attempts. The problem with me and Mario games is that I almost never am. For me, my first attempt is often one of my best attempts, and failing deep into a level only to be brought back to the start is a setback I find especially difficult to come back from. So the White Tanooki suit, for me, was a way of maintaining sanity more than anything.

Which means a lot of people may not consider me to have completed a Mario game yet. Well, we all make our own fun, I guess. I saw some damned endgame credits, I'm calling it done. I got just the right amount of challenge out of Super Mario 3D Land, and I'm not really in the mood to go chasing ever higher levels of difficulty.

Dr. Buni

Original post

Game #22: Kirby Triple Deluxe

NA1ud6I.png

Extremely adorable game, as expected from Kirby; I really liked this game, it is considerably better than the already fantastic Return to Dream Land. The level design is way better and more creative, making use of the 3DS' 3D function, with Kirby transitioning between the background and foreground, etc. The game also uses the gyroscope feature, which is neat. Kirby's new abilities are really cool, with the exception of Circus maybe, which I found boring and unresponsive. On the other hand, Beetle is the best ability ever. On the subject of abilities, the Hypernova ability is so weird and awesome at the same time. Kirby can now suck literally everything in front of him, if he wants.

As in various other titles in the Kirby series, the soundtrack is great. That is because the games reuses a good chunk of the soundtracks of the very first games in the series, adding only a couple of new songs. Triple Deluxe is not an exception, but the new songs are really reaaaaallly good, like Floral Fields and Moonstruck Blossom. Also, like in many Kirby games, the highlight is the final boss fight. We had amazing bosses before like 0², Marx, Magolor and the Triple Deluxe final boss doesn't disappointing. The fight is fun, the scenery is beautiful and the boss itself looks really cool. The fight is a tad too long, though.

I also really like the extra minigames, specially Dedede's Drum Dash. In short, Kirby Triple Deluxe is an amazing game and easily my favorite in the series, after Dream Land 3.

Late update...

Main post

Game 14: Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (PS4) - 16h47m17s [4/7/15] ★★★½
rev2_logo_zpsi47tbchq.png

Beat game on Normal, plus bonus episodes on Casual.

Revelations 2 has some issues, and is far from being an all-time classic like some of the pre-RE4 titles, but I'm genuinely surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Outside of the characters and story, there's very little remaining that bears much similarity to the survival horror RE games; instead, it takes heavy inspiration from last-gen survival horror titles like Siren: Blood Curse and Fatal Frame IV, and this is not such a bad thing. The end result is a definite step up from recent entries like Revelations 1 and RE6.

There are noticeable signs of improvement. The game goes for a dark and scary atmosphere and largely succeeded, generating a level of tension and panic at times that has been largely absent from the franchise for over a decade. The level design is a step up from Revelations; it's still dumbed-down when you compare it to pre-RE4 titles, but at least there's an attempt here to establish a sense of place, encourage exploration and at times, to cause you to feel disoriented and/or lost altogether. I also welcomed the deliberately cheesy dialogue and fan service-y stuff included in the story. As one of the founding members of the Barry Burton Fan Club, it's great to see him get a starring role in a game for once. And unlike Revelations 1: there were actual Revelations in this game!!

It's biggest shortcoming is the partner system, something that I really wish Capcom would do away with. It sucked in RE0, and while they at least gave more of a reason for it to exist here, it's still something that detracts from the overall experience. In every instance where an RE game has given you an AI partner for some/all of the game (RE0, RE4, RE5, Revelations, RE6 and Revelations 2), the game was not improved as a result. Revelations 2 also has some pacing issues late, particularly in Barry's last two episodes. The game is at its strongest when you are in one location for most/all of an episode, allowing non-linear exploration at your own pace. Slowly plodding forward through same-y looking environments for lengthy stretches caused the game to get bogged down late.

Overall though, this is a good game. I had very low expectations coming off of RE6, and while it didn't take much for Revelations 2 to exceed those, it still deserves credit for at least providing a satisfying experience in the story, gameplay and horror departments. It will get compared to The Evil Within for obvious reasons, and as to which one is better isn't exactly cut and dry. There are things I liked better about Revelations 2, and things I liked better about Evil Within, and they aren't the same things either. It's also worth factoring in that I had much higher expectations for The Evil Within. Both are good, solid survival horror experiences but both fail to scratch that particular itch that something like REmake managed to do so well. But for 2015, with low expectations, you could do far worse.

Synth

Original Post

Project Spark Episode 1: Void Storm

Criteria: Standard completion
Time played: 2 hours.

Alright, let's be honest here. Void Storm is a pretty bad game, if considered in the same way as a standard release (and it's performance can be shocking at times). It is however, a pretty interesting display of the sort of project you can create in Project Spark, and was fun enough, and short enough to not overstay its welcome. I bought this as part of the recent deals on Xbox Live, and I must admit that I'm glad I did. The standard price is far too much for the amount of game there is here. The price basically includes a bunch of creation DLC that for someone like myself isn't of much interest. I kinda feel like these episodes should be given for free, or at least purchasable stand-alone for a much cheaper price. They essentially serve the same sort of purpose as the campaign in Little Big Planet. They offer a demonstration of what you can build with the supplied tools, and give a new player something at least semi-competent to start out playing, rather than trying out a row of awful (and probably unfinished) community games before stumbling upon something enjoyable.

No regrets personally, but I definitely couldn't recommend it to anyone else. Not at the price it usually goes for.

jb1234

Game 17 - Megaman X - Started and finished 4/10/15 - 2ish hours

In between sessions of Dark Souls and Pillars of Eternity (two *very* long games), I felt the need to toss some shorter things in there too and since I've been meaning to go through the first several X games (at least the good ones). The first game I've played several times and know very well, usually getting stuck on the very final boss. This time, I sped through and conquered him (although just barely). Very fun game, can't wait to play the next few (especially 4, which I've heard great things about).

Game 18 - Ori and the Blind Forest - Started 3/18/15, finished 4/13/15 - 8:25

Ori is one of those games that came out of nowhere for me. Someone posted the OT thread, I clicked on it, saw the pictures, saw the word Metroidvania and I was in. It lived up to my expectations, with gorgeous artwork, splendid music and perfect gameplay, with lots of challenge. I died hundreds of times and I always deserved it. Oh, and the ending made me cry. Damn you, game! My biggest complaint is that there's an area I couldn't return to where I missed some items and so I couldn't get 100% but that's just a nitpick. I want a sequel!

Original post

jnWake

Huh... It's been exactly a month since I last completed a game. Welp.

Main Post

Game #13. Rayman Legends (Wii U)
- Time played: 34:40 hours.
- Completion reached: All 700 Teensies and over 1 million lums... I guess that's 100%!

Ah, Rayman. One of the most underappreciated characters in gaming. His games are usually pretty solid but they sell like crap. Oh, well...

Anyway, Rayman Legends is a 2D platformer, sequel to the amazing Rayman Origins. Many people complain about the overabundance of 2D platformers but truth is that none of them are similar to what Legends offers. The style of Rayman Legends (and Origins before it) is a bit similar to what Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze do. That is, highly dynamical levels, very polished graphics, precise momentum-based movement, challenging stages and, also, incredible music!

So, I'll expand on the gameplay a bit here. Rayman is a pretty standard platforming hero: he can jump, he can glide, he can swim and he can attack. His moveset is quite straightforward, which is good. Rayman is very easy to control but there's also a lot of depth in the game, that is, if you're aiming for speedy runs. Most of this depth comes from the handling of momentum: if you're running fast and you jump, you'll keep your speed. This also works if you do running attacks, which add even more speed. Then, slopes add even more speed... There's even some weird tricks that speed runners use that give more speed! Bottom line, you can go super fast in this game. Now, what's cool about this is that the game actually forces you to learn how to play fast, thanks to the amazing level design and some other cool ideas (like Invasion levels, which I won't spoil here).

Moving on, the level design in this game is great. Playing through it you'll see many great ideas that are very nicely developed. One of the interesting things about the Rayman style is that it's actually very challenging, relying a lot on the player's reflexes. To balance this difficulty, the game has no lives and plenty of checkpoints. Hence, you won't really get stuck or frustrated since death doesn't mean much. The game is meant to be completed, even in its harder sections!

Despite all the praise I've given the game so far, I do have some gripes with it. The first, and biggest one, is Murphy. As many people probably remember, Rayman Legends was originally going to be a Wii U launch title. Because of this, Ubisoft wanted to use the touch screen of the Gamepad and added Murphy to the game. So, what does Murphy do? He lets you interact with levels using the touch screen. In multiplayer, playing as Murphy is probably quite fun, since you can mess with lots of stuff and the developers actually built many levels around Murphy's abilites. But, what happens in these levels if you're playing alone? Well, you have to play as Murphy and help an AI companion. Sadly, this is the weakest part of the game for me. Murphy levels in single player and slow and a bit frustrating. And there are a lot of them. This drives me to my second gripe with the game. It feels a bit short. My playtime is long, but a big part of that is playing the Origin levels that were included in the game. In comparison with its predecessor, Legends feels shorter and also, for lack of a better word, safer. Origins has some crazy levels and takes full advantage of every mechanic in the game, particularly, wall running. Legends, on the other hand, isn't as crazy and doesn't use the wall running mechanic much, which is a shame since that mechanic is one of the coolest in the game.

In any case, Rayman Legends is one of the best 2D platformers out there so I strongly recommend it! And, if you do, try out the Daily and Weekly challenges since they are pretty cool!

P.S. It's funny that I complain about the length and this is the longest clear time in a game I've posted yet! It should be beaten soon though.

Game 9: Pony Express (Google) 15 min.

It's a nice little browser game. Somewhat frustrating because you have to memorize the route in order to get all the pieces of mail and if you hit anything you lose a piece. I got all 100 pieces and learned about the first delivery of the pony express!

pony_xpress.jpg

Games 1 through 12

13. Monument Valley (Android) - 9th April - approx. 60-80 minutes
A short but delightful little game based around an Escher-esque concept of perception. Gorgeous visuals and overall presentation, simple but clever puzzles and I love the strange premise/theme and twists on perception. Reminded me a lot of Echochrome, but I thought the execution in this was much better and its simpler mechanics definitely worked to its advantage. 8/10

14. Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition (Vita) - 10th April - approx. 15 hours
I completed both the main game and the 'Birth' additional episode. Overall I really enjoyed it, although felt like the early levels of the main game were where it was at its best, and some of the level design in Birth got really convoluted; requiring you to find hidden areas containing keycards in order to progress. But besides some slightly annoying level design and obviously the visuals, I thought it has aged really well and still found it to be an excellent FPS in most regards. The online is absolutely horrible though, and in the couple of times I tried it I found it to be so laggy it was unplayable. 8/10

Currently playing: Stealth Inc. and Bloodborne.

OP

Game 10 - Borderlands 2 (PS4)
Surprised how much fun I had playing through the entire game again, although I did do it all locally with a friend. Also forgot most of the jokes, which was nice. Made the game that much more funny. Currently working through all of the downloadable content which I never got for the old versions. Honestly, I'd say the cost of The Handsome Collection is worth it just to play through this again, bonus marks if you never played the DLC which looks to be really substantial from what I played. Now onto Pre-Sequel!

Dryk

Original Post - Part 1
Original Post - Part 2

Game #29: The Starship Damrey: 1.9 hours
I feel like there's a lot of wasted potential here. They really nail the feeling of seeing the world through a camera attached to a robot. That's in part due to the constant HUD and scan-line on the screen but also having a point of view that's lower than you're used to. The atmosphere is good, exploring a lifeless ship with only the whir of the robot's servos and the glow of its torch for company.

The problem is with everything else. At it's heart this is a pretty mediocre adventure game kept alive by the mystery of what happened to the ship, and the resolution to that, while shocking in the moment just kind of falls flat once its over.

I also hate, hate that this game has cutscenes. Going into a lift? Third-person cutscene of the robot entering the lift. Doing an action more complicated than moving or picking up objects? Third-person cutscene of the robot doing the thing. It just took me right out of the feeling of controlling the robot, which is all the game really has going for it and I can't figure out why they did it. There's no reason that the cutscenes that are in the game couldn't have been in first-person.

Original Post #1

Game 13: Fire Emblem: Awakening - 30+ hours - April 14th, 2015
UOHTt1Y.png

Finally, finally, finally done with this. My time on my file only says something like 24 hours, but I'm nearly certain it's closer to 30+, given the resets I had to do. Even though I reset quite a few times, I still feel fairly comfortable saying I think the game was too easy. My method of artificially upping the difficulty was trying to get every character married off, get every paralogue and level up all the characters evenly. I could have easily wrecked the game with my core team, but that would have been boring. Even as it was, by the time I finished the first 20 or so paralogues, I was so highly leveled and buffed that the last five or so levels were laughably easy. On top of that, the missions themselves were so unvaried and so simplistic, that I rarely felt challenged in terms of strategy. I feel like the game desperately needed some more unique objectives (say like
the Tiki survival mission
). Enemies absolutely needed to be able to pair up.

That said, my difficulty complaints come while I played on classic (instead of hard). Maybe I'm just experienced enough at strategy games that it's time to move onto a harder difficulty. In terms of the positives, I can safely say that I loved the OST. In fact, I'm relistening to it right now. It's absolutely fantastic. The story was fairly rote and cliche, but by the end, I was fairly satisfied with the course it took. In terms of characters, I found myself looking at a real mixed bag. I loved some characters very dearly (e.g. Cherche, Olivia, Vaike, ), was ambivalent about some (e.g. Chrom, Gaius, Laurent), and despised others (e.g. Kellam). Some character interactions were particularly sweet, and others felt like crap. This actually isn't a complaint, because given how many characters there were, I was actually impressed by how many of the characters and character pairings I enjoyed. All this said, I would absolutely recommend the game to people. It's worth your time.
- 8/10

OP.

---

Game 15: A Golden Wake (PC) - 3 hrs, 6 mins
Another great point and click title published by Wadjet Eye Games. Not as great as the Blackwell series or Gemini Rue but if you're a fan of the setting and genre you can't go wrong.​

StingX2

mEvWxFx.jpg

Game Beaten #33 Gunman Clive 2 (3DS) - 2 Hours
(Started 4/9/15 / Finished 4/15/15)

Much like the first game this is a short 2 hour Mega Man clone set somewhat in the Wild West. Unlike the first game, Clive 2 abandons the West pretty fast for gravity levels, sky stages, jungle levels, dinosaur levels, and even a few star fox tribute stages. If you need a cheap Mega Man fix than seek this out on the 3DS eshop.

OG Post2

Yp3YMtB.png

40:30h. Finished game plus Triverse Gate and all non-New Game+ sidequests. It's the Talesiest game I've played in a while. Cookie-cutter "the Power of Love" protagonist
with a dark secret
? Check. Damsel-in-distress story
quickly overriden by an "end of the world" plot
? Double check. Boob jokes and innocent innuendo? Triple check! Lots of fantasybabble? A real good combat system? Skits everywhere? Funny talking animals? Boring, "grey" dungeons with way too many random encounters? Seems all the gang's here!

And yet I've enjoyed it, as I always do. Pity they probably won't release ToI R.

Updated OP

Onyar

Original Post

Destiny (PC) - 15/04/15 (Story + 5 hours of multiplayer)
This game could be so great, but ended being regular sci-fi shooter.
The story is a mess so big that sometimes even you start to think that maybe there's no story. The lore is alright and very interesting but the lack of the storytelling simply kills all the oportunities that could have. As a shooter the story is mediocre, but not bad.
I´m not very into multiplayer shooters but I can see this game has it´s core in there. I played very few matches of control, control the flag, and I had a good time.
I would recomend this game for the people who really enjoy the multiplayer shooter experience. For all the other people it's just not worth the price.

Yp3YMtB.png

40:30h. Finished game plus Triverse Gate and all non-New Game+ sidequests. It's the Talesiest game I've played in a while. Cookie-cutter "the Power of Love" protagonist
with a dark secret
? Check. Damsel-in-distress story
quickly overriden by an "end of the world" plot
? Double check. Boob jokes and innocent innuendo? Triple check! Lots of fantasybabble? A real good combat system? Skits everywhere? Funny talking animals? Boring, "grey" dungeons with way too many random encounters? Seems all the gang's here!

And yet I've enjoyed it, as I always do. Pity they probably won't release ToI R.

Updated OP
I'm so glad you enjoyed this. Loved playing it last year.

Spyware

header.jpg

04-03-15 - Game 29: DeathSpank - 8 hours
Had heard quite a lot about this game before finally playing it now. It has some not-so-good moments but most of it is great. I loved (most of) the jokes and overall sillyness. The hack-and-slash gameplay wasn't perfect but worked well enough. Hated the last boss but that's not unusual for me :p

header.jpg

04-04-15 - Game 30: Lilly Looking Through - 2 hours
Pretty boring game, sadly. Also very slow. It's cute and all but the "puzzles" are either too basic or too much trial and error. It's also odd that you sometimes do stuff with the pointer and sometimes the character has to go all over the screen to do the same type of stuff. I liked the goggle thing tho and the environments are great.

header.jpg

04-08-15 - Game 31: The Room - 2 hours
I would have probably liked this more if I had played it on my phone since I kept thinking "oh yeah, touch screen" when dragging stuff around. :p Love the look they gave it on PC tho, it's extremely pretty to look at. Liked the beginning more than the end, but it was okay all the way through.

(Main post)

mshlive

Very LTTP with this but thought I would see how many games I can get done this year, with my gaming time reduced massively hitting 12 (1 each month) would probably be a good target.

Game 1 - Wolfenstein: The New Order (XBone) 1000/1000

Absolutely brilliant game, I was a bit concerned prior to release because of the omission of multiplayer and being a massive fan of the original RTCW felt that was a lost opportunity. However, they did a brilliant job on the campaign with it being one of the best I've played in a long time. Will definitely be jumping in on the expansion next month.

Game 2 - Forza Horizon 2 Presents Fast & Furious (XBone) 1000/1000

Not bad for free and a nice little warmup for the film, and it's served its purpose in getting me back into Forza.

Up Next:

Currently playing through Forza Horizon 2 and the Storm Island DLC, at 900/1500 so far. Probably looking at playing something else on the side so I'm thinking GTA V but I'll see what mood I'm in.

Amazing what you can get done when you kill your MMORPG sub.

Original Post:

Game 7: The Lego Movie - Videogame (11 Hours) 3.5/5

Nice bright and shiny Lego game interspersed with footage from the actual film. Nothing particularily challenging, but good fun non the less, especially with a 6 y.o. lego freak cheering you on.

Game 8: Dirt 3 Complete Edition (21 Hours) 4/5

Recently transitioned from GFWL to Steamworks I though it was about time to have another go at it. The driving model is still great, graphics fantastic and with great variety in events. The original release had a particularly nasty DLC implementation, the game's campaign had large holes in it with buy DLC adds everywhere. Thankfully we now get the full version and all cars and tracks are available. Still suffers from the standard Codies imbalance, some trailblazing events are quite difficult at normal level, you really need to be on your game to scrape across the line, while you can win any Monaco rally with you eyes closed probably driving in reverse.

Game 9: Lego: The Lord of the Rings (20 Hours) 4/5

Probably my favourite Lego game game so far. The game uses a nice trick where it reuses actual dialogue from the films but re-purposes them for maximum comedic effect. Ever wanted to see if the Orcs at the Black Gate would fall for the pizza delivery trick and open up?
They do.

Game 10: Dead Space (11 Hours) 4.5/5

Probably the 4th or 5th time I've played it, still fantastic. Actual survival horror, not action/shooters like the series became. Movement is probably overly clunky, but encounters are well designed so movement is not an issue.

Game 11: Dead Space 2 (9 Hours) 3.5/5

Ups the action quotient and moving the game off the ship provides a wider variety of environments to slaughter necros. For a game that is shorter than the first, the pacing is uneven and drags at the end.

Game 12: Dead Space 3 (17 Hours) 2/5

A Game of 3 parts, a decent start on the Moon, a fantastic middle in space and an absolutely terrible ending on a snow covered planet. The majority of the game should have taken place in space, once you make planetfall the game loses all momentum and becomes a complete grind of, "oh no something broke and you have been separated from the rest of the group" again and again. There is a new weapon construction mechanic that is decent but after a while seems like busy work along with optional side missions that I optioned out of after a while. Overly long and boring. Also terrible, terrible encounter design.

I'm so glad you enjoyed this. Loved playing it last year.

Oh I did. The characters are lovable bundles of cliches and I actually cared about them and the combat was really amazing. I actually managed to kill the bonus boss on the second try but oh my fucking god was it hard. And I was playing on Normal.

I know Tales games are not going to win any GOTY awards, but I've never once regretted playing one.

Dr. Buni

Original post

Game #23: Mortal Kombat X

5Wqxzc1.png

Finished story mode as well as arcade mode with around 10 characters. 14 hours played so far.

Can't speak about the story without spoiling everything, but I enjoyed it. It wasn't as good as the story in MK9, but it is unfair to compare both since one retold the stories of three games, while MKX only tells its own new story. I must say I wish some characters had gotten more focus (and some less focus), but it was an enjoyable experience.

In other aspects, the game is a massive improvement over its predecessor. Better visuals (the stages look great, the menus look clean and pleasing, etc), the characters don't look like crap anymore and ugly skimpy outfits are mostly gone, the gameplay was sped up, the characters having three variations each is a neat and welcomed featured, etc.

The only downside is the music, which is really poor, especially compared to some of the past gen fighters like Marvel vs. Capcom or even from this gen, like Killer Instinct. The microtransactions are a bit annoying, but none are actually required, so it is not a bother to me.

In short, fantastic game. Too lazy to write more about it, no one is gonna read anyways.

Original Post

Game 14: Hyrule Warriors - 20+ hours - April 17th, 2015
kSiVYhP.png

Welp. I finished the main story. After 20 hours of playing this myself to complete the story, along with a dozen or so hours playing with friends, I'm fairly done with Hyrule Warriors. I know there is some great DLC. I know there is Adventure mode. But, I saw the credits and finished the story of the game. And the reason I'm counting that is because it is a momentous occasion: it is the first time I have ever finished a Zelda-related game. I've played the original Legend of Zelda. I've played Wind Waker. I've played Minish Cap. I've even played a few others that I'm now forgetting. But until today, I have never managed to finish one. This was the first one to get me invested enough to finish it through.

I can't say why that is exactly. I can however say that this is one of the finest Warriors-styled games I've played yet. The character roster is miniscule in comparison to many others, but it's well-crafted and each character is uniquely fun. Mission objectives are varied and challenging. This is not something I necessarily remember in DW8, which seemed to get tedious in mission design. The graphics are damn good, and the music is really enjoyable. Although I haven't forked over for the Season Pass yet, Hyrule Warriors also gets the distinction of being the first game I forked over for costume DLC. Even though I've never played Skyward Sword, I loved the Skyloft costumes and bought the pack to support the game. With all the content left, will I return? Yeah, of course. But for now, it's time to put this away for a bit and continue cutting through the backlog!
- 9/10

Oh I did. The characters are lovable bundles of cliches and I actually cared about them and the combat was really amazing. I actually managed to kill the bonus boss on the second try but oh my fucking god was it hard. And I was playing on Normal.

I know Tales games are not going to win any GOTY awards, but I've never once regretted playing one.
"Lovable bundles of cliches" is such a spot on way to describe them. The game is filled to the brim with cliches, but it managed to always be sweet and enjoyable. I absolutely played that game with a smile on my face. I can't wait to finally get around to playing Xillia and Symphonia...
I read more of these posts than you'd think (but less than you'd hope)
Seconding this. Don't be afraid to write more because you think people aren't reading. I know I am. I love to see what y'all are playing, and I love to get ideas of what I should be playing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom