• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V PC Performance Thread

LilJoka

HDD are not all same, he might be running WD Green for all we know, or his HDD haven't been de-fragmented in ages and is 4+ years old.

Here's the HDD I'm using

Pretty fast!

For all those getting crashes have you checked the event viewer / applications to see what it reports?

Two of us play the game using the one Rockstar account but different windows users logins. This allows us to have separate saves. Anyway I haven't had any crashes other than an unstable OC on the processor. My boyfriend has been getting very different crashes to me. It kept crashing out last night approx every ten minutes (I had played earlier in the day without any problem); to add this was the first time we started to close the launcher.exe. This was the re-occurring errors reported at the same time as two errors:

I haven't had any HDD issues with anything else on the computer but this is what was reported back:

Windows cannot access the file for one of the following reasons: there is a problem with the network connection, the disk that the file is stored on, or the storage drivers installed on this computer; or the disk is missing. Windows closed the program Grand Theft Auto V because of this error.

Program: Grand Theft Auto V
File:

The error value is listed in the Additional Data section.
User Action
1. Open the file again. This situation might be a temporary problem that corrects itself when the program runs again.
2. If the file still cannot be accessed and
- It is on the network, your network administrator should verify that there is not a problem with the network and that the server can be contacted.
- It is on a removable disk, for example, a floppy disk or CD-ROM, verify that the disk is fully inserted into the computer.
3. Check and repair the file system by running CHKDSK. To run CHKDSK, click Start, click Run, type CMD, and then click OK. At the command prompt, type CHKDSK /F, and then press ENTER.
4. If the problem persists, restore the file from a backup copy.
5. Determine whether other files on the same disk can be opened. If not, the disk might be damaged. If it is a hard disk, contact your administrator or computer hardware vendor for further assistance.

Additional Data
Error value: 00000000
Disk type: 0

Faulting application name: GTA5.exe, version: 1.0.323.1, time stamp: 0x5527f187
Faulting module name: GTA5.exe, version: 1.0.323.1, time stamp: 0x5527f187
Exception code: 0xc000001d
Fault offset: 0x0000000000c00b2b
Faulting process id: 0x4d0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d077b4db19041a
Faulting application path: a:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto V\GTA5.exe
Faulting module path: a:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto V\GTA5.exe
Report Id: 79124f99-e3a9-11e4-85b0-10bf488714df

I'm trying to make sense of this thread. I gather that the original enthusiasm over the quality of the port is gradually being replaced by frustration as crashes and other issues seem to occur after several hours of play?

No, the game just needs lots of memory and stable hardware (Of course I am sure there are people with legit issues too).
Still a great port.

With today's overclocking culture, people crank everything to the max and then don't understand when things crash.

viveks86

Good to know, thanks.

LilJoka's explanation is accurate. The size itself doesn't matter. But you should watch the PF usage trend. If you are seeing a constant PF usage increase while playing, then your game is asking for more memory than the OS can provide and hence is allocating virtual memory instead of physical memory in order to prevent crashing. This can cause performance issues such as pausing/stuttering as the game will now end up reading stuff from disk instead of RAM.

Couple of questions:

1. Is there a way to move the Rockstar Games/GTA V folder in documents somewhere else? I dont have enough space on my SSD for this stuff and I would like to record videos/take pictures.

2. GTX 780 @ 1080p what are the best settings? At the moment I am getting 45-60 on average and I really want it to just stick at least to the 55-60 area.

nkarafo

I am not talking about your HDD, duh, now hide your e-peen since my SSD is faster anyways. He has a problem and from what he described - it's a streaming issue, most probably because of HDD.
I am running a WD blue series and it's a pretty recent drive (bought it about 7 months ago). The problem, however seems to be the exact same as when i had the game on a much older 160GB disk (i don't notice any improvements on the more recent drive). Which makes me think this is not really a HDD issue but something else?

HDD are not all same, he might be running WD Green for all we know, or his HDD haven't been de-fragmented in ages and is 4+ years old.

Regardless, I was giving my own experience of the game's performance while installed on an HDD. It could be one of any number of things causing that user issues, however buying an SSD thinking it will solve the problem is akin to cracking a nut with a sledgehammer.

In FC4, you could tell it breaks because when moving, everything sharpened up again. That is not the case here. I'm pretty sure it's still working. You're gonna make me do more comparisons, aren't you?.......lol

uploading a video now that clearly shows it

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2t0BsiVu0jpb2d0QVZFYkJnRUk/view?usp=sharing

you can see the txaa kick in on the alphas once i stop and movement settles. in motion its identical to the msaa i show in the beginning in terms of temporal aliasing.

LilJoka

I am not talking about your HDD, duh, now hide your e-peen since my SSD is faster anyways. He has a problem and from what he described - it's a streaming issue, most probably because of HDD.

He can use that as a comparison, he runs a bench we can see how his HDD compares, as I don't get any streaming issues.

Sounds like you have the ego, how quick to attack...

LilJoka

I will use the exact same test and will report.

How full is the HDD? It's possible if GTA has been installed at the end of the drive that it's closest to the centre of the drive, further reducing performance.

You can use HDTune to do a read test across the drive. That will show a graph of tested sequential read speeds against GB.

If you are getting a BSOD opening that, you may have other issues. Maybe take discussion to the PC building thread.

nkarafo

How full is the HDD? It's possible if GTA has been installed at the end of the drive that it's closest to the centre of the drive, further reducing performance.

You can use HDTune to do a read test across the drive. That will show a graph of tested sequential read speeds against GB.

If you are getting a BSOD opening that, you may have other issues. Maybe take discussion to the PC building thread.
I tried a different version and it works but how do i do the speed test?

daninthemix

- Make sure your OC is 100% stable for GPU and CPU. This game will destroy your OC if it is not rock solid. I had two crashes before I reduced my CPU OC which I thought was 100% stable. Since many hours my game hasn't crashed now.

Out of interest do you leave the voltage on auto and just set the core multiplier?

bj00rn_

Banned
I had this microstutter approx. once every second, and it drove me crazy..

I couldn't find any other way to fix it, so I turned on pre-rendereded frames in the Nvidia control panel, and now it's completely butter smooth without any stutter whatsoever.

Input-lag? Yeah, well.. It's not that bad actually (with a mouse it's probably quite bad..). I prefer a little bit of latency over stuttering right now until there's a better fix out there.

LilJoka

NVM, i downloaded the wrong program (info instead of mark)

upload gifs

Here's my WD Blue 500GB disk (not very fast) :(

I looked up your drive and it has 2x250GB platters, that means lower disk density leading too slower performance. Most manufactures are using 1Tb platters nowadays. The Toshiba 1TB ACA is the cheapest using 1Tb platter technology.

I think others have said this, but use something like O&O Defeagmenter to try and increase performance. You want to do the SPACE defrag method.

DjRalford

Is there a single mission in this game that doesn't crash at least once.

I've been playing for 2hrs this morning and I'm only at the mission with the bike as Franklin as I get the bike to the car wash and it crashes.

Changing mouse input method from raw to direct is sooo much better. The camera judders like fuck when you turn it on anything except direct input, atleast for me.

LilJoka

Is there a single mission in this game that doesn't crash at least once.

I've been playing for 2hrs this morning and I'm only at the mission with the bike as Franklin as I get the bike to the car wash and it crashes.

I haven't had any crashes offline, I've done about 5 missions.

daninthemix

I had this microstutter approx. once every second, and it drove me crazy..

I couldn't find any other way to fix it, so I turned on pre-rendereded frames in the Nvidia control panel, and now it's completely butter smooth without any stutter whatsoever.

Input-lag? Yeah, well.. It's not that bad actually (with a mouse it's probably quite bad..). I prefer a little bit of latency over stuttering right now until there's a better fix out there.

How many frames did you set?

I'm on 6GB of DDR3, running great so far. It will just use up what you've got so like I'm using 2-3GB for GTA exe and 5-5.5GB in Task Manager. Usually the Page file is set to your RAM size automatically

Engell

I had the BEX64 GTA5Launcher.exe error on my laptop running intel/nvidia gpu combo, but could get around it by disabling the nvidia gpu before starting the social club an then re-enable it before the game starts.

It runs smooth on my nvidia 765m 2gb 1920x1080 on high (yes even on textures) i had my eye on the memory usage and its usually around 1600-1800mb out of the 2gb on the GPU.(maybe i will run into problems later in the game, as they write in the settings that it can consume upto 2.3gb memory)
The only in game problem so far is that after i tab to desktop and putthe laptop on standby, the sound was gone and had to restart the game to get it back.

On my normal rig with intel 5820 and a gtx970 i have had no problems at all, even runnign it at 4k scaling was working.

so far i played little over 10 hours with 70% of this on my laptop

btw. im not running any fancy filters

Just had a "err_gfx_d3d_init" crash during the mission where you meet Trevor :(

The crashes are few and far between for me but they seem completely random and I've seemingly had three different kinds of crashes. Once it just hard locked with no error message, then it crashed after I stopped the launcher from running in the background, and now this error message.

Thankfully Rockstar have finally put decent checkpoints in a GTA game, or else this would be absolutely maddening.

MaxiLive

Hmm I'm running:

Intel i7 3770k @ Stock
AMD 290 @ Stock
24Gb Memory

Yet my fps is all over the place at 35-90 at 2560x1080 high/very high settings. I wonder what it takes to get a more stable framerate or what in my system is causing it to chug :( When I turn down settings it doesn't actually seem to improve the performance by much which is odd, there must be a bottleneck somewhere I guess?

noomi

Good morning everyone, just got into the thread let me see whats new and if anything can be added to the OP.

Need to catch up!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Does anyones else's framerate go down to 30fps and then back to 60 after some time has passed? I've gotten 60fps on all the benchmarks, but the fps in-game is all over the place :/
When the FPS goes down to 30, I stand still without touching anything and it eventually goes back to 60. Has to be some kind of bug, yeah?

I have these parts for reference:

AMD FX-6300 (planning on getting FX-8350 soon)
ASUS GTX 960 Strix
8gb RAM

If you use triple buffered vsync it won't happen. Also if you OC your 6300 to 4.2 Ghz (AKA, just lock it at the Turbo boost clock) you should be able to hit 50-60 without issue on a mix of high/max settings

Referring to This post.

Legit impressed with what the 6300 can do given the price. I imagine with better cooling and an OC to 4.5 you might get the extra frames needed for a locked 60.

Granted, seeing as GTAV seems to be utilizing threads/cores rather well I suppose going 8-core won't hurt at all. Ain't like the 8350 is that expensive either.

Just had a "err_gfx_d3d_init" crash during the mission where you meet Trevor :(

The crashes are few and far between for me but they seem completely random and I've seemingly had three different kinds of crashes. Once it just hard locked with no error message, then it crashed after I stopped the launcher from running in the background, and now this error message.

Thankfully Rockstar have finally put decent checkpoints in a GTA game, or else this would be absolutely maddening.

Is your GPU overclocked by any chance?

Go into event viewer and see if the error relates to a graphics card crash.

My God if the checkpoints were like GTA IV's it would be blood pressure destroying.

Is your GPU overclocked by any chance?

Go into event viewer and see if the error relates to a graphics card crash.

My God if the checkpoints were like GTA IV's it would be blood pressure destroying.

No overclocks on my CPU or GPU. I've never looked in the Event Viewer, what would I be looking for to see if it was related to my GPU?

Loris146

We already knew a mid-range setup could produce spectacular results :
gtav_high_1920.png

This is with a 4690 I5 @4.5ghz.

The game is unsurprisingly very CPU bound.

Yep i have an I5 3570k ( stock clock for now) and the game uses all cores at 100%. First game that does it in my gaming experience.

ktroopa

Still waiting on nvidia, techspot or anyone to do a decent graphics analysis/performance based comparison to determine exactly what the options do on high, very high and ultra.

No overclocks on my CPU or GPU. I've never looked in the Event Viewer, what would I be looking for to see if it was related to my GPU?

I don't have my event viewer to hand at the moment but you usually see an entry marked as exclamation mark in yellow in the "Windows Logs/System" part of the event viewer and on the entry it says something like:

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

I have an nVidia card for reference in regards to this error message.

Edit: Got my event viewer now. At the same time as this driver crash I had this error in the "Windows Logs/Applications" part (GTA had crashed out):

Faulting application name: GTA5.exe, version: 1.0.323.1, time stamp: 0x5527f187
Faulting module name: GTA5.exe, version: 1.0.323.1, time stamp: 0x5527f187
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000112f960
Faulting process id: 0xd50
Faulting application start time: 0x01d07792758dd250
Faulting application path: a:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto V\GTA5.exe
Faulting module path: a:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto V\GTA5.exe
Report Id: e2ccf8f6-e386-11e4-99c1-10bf488714df

nkarafo

I tested the game in 3 drives, i even used an old external, super slow disk. I get almost the same behavior/pauses/stutter in all 3 drives. Lowering settings doesn't do much. Using the latest drivers, i5 4670, 16GB Ram, GTX 960.

Loris146

I tested the game in 3 drives, i even used an old external, super slow disk. I get almost the same behavior/pauses/stutter in all 3 drives. Lowering settings doesn't do much. Using the latest drivers, i5 4670, 16GB Ram, GTX 960.

Try turn off v-synch in the game and force it in nvidia control panel.

b0uncyfr0

I thought the PCLab.pl peeps benchmark was inaccurate and skewered towards NV? Its not a valid representation of some of those cards.

Comparing the results to Guru3d's benchmark, and its VERY different.

Tc91

Still runs like shit on my new gtx 970.

Guessing it's to do with the fact I have 4gb of ram. New ram incoming tomorrow so hopefully it's fine.

Top Bottom