• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Gaming Community Thread | 1313 games, but 1313 ain't one

JDHarbs

Cinematic Reveal Trailer

Trailer Screenshots

4adERKY.jpg
uCPAbpo.jpg
UIYH0pN.jpg
TwTi5Xl.jpg
tT8C4cy.jpg
u0rpOAC.jpg

Box Art

Release Date announced
  • North America, November 17th
  • Europe, November 19th

Pre-Orders are now available

Deluxe Edition ($69.99) announced
  • Available physically and digitally in North America. Only available digitally in Europe,
  • Instant access to future in-game items (Han Solo's Blaster, Ion Detonator, and MPL Ion Torpedo)
  • Exclusive emotes (Ion Shock and Victory)

Ultra-Limited Edition PS4 bundle announced

"Battle of Jakku" DLC announced
  • Free to all owners of the game
  • Pre-Order to get access on December 1st
  • Available to all on December 8th
  • Set on the same location in the Force Awakens trailer

Setting:
  • Set in the Original Trilogy era
  • Techniques like Photogrammetry and Physically-Based Rendering are used to accurately recreate film props and locations
  • All launch maps will take place across 4 planets (Hoth, Endor, Tatooine, and Sullust)
  • More than 8 launch maps are confirmed with at least 2 maps per planet
  • Maps will vary in size from small to large depending on game mode
  • Maps will be destructible where they are needed

Modes:
  • No traditional single-player campaign
  • No Galactic Conquest mode
  • Online multiplayer will range from 8-40 players depending on multiplayer mode
  • Reports are saying no Conquest multiplayer mode
  • Walker Assault confirmed as one of the multiplayer modes (Rush style mode where AT-AT tries to to reach end of map while Rebels damage with airstrikes)
  • New Co-Op mode called "Missions" featuring enemy bots (Spec-Ops style mode playable online, solo offline, and 2-player splitscreen)

Gameplay:
  • Press were shown a 5-8 minute gameplay demo behind closed doors, but are allowed to talk about what they saw
  • 60 frames-per-second is the target for all platforms (30 fps in split-screen)
  • Swap between 1st-person and 3rd-person perspective seamlessly (no cover system for 3rd person)
  • Vehicles will return (AT-AT, AT-ST, and Speeder Bike confirmed)
  • Reports say that AT-AT is on-rails and not fully controllable
  • Playable Heroes are returning (Darth Vader and Boba Fett are confirmed)
  • Reports say that Vader has the ability to Force Choke and Deflect shots
  • Heroes and their requirements to play as in game will vary by game mode
  • Other popular character will make appearances (C-3PO, R2-D2, and Admiral Ackbar are confirmed)
  • Dogfighting will return, but will not be set in space (X-Wing, TIE Fighter, and Snowspeeder confirmed)
  • Hero vehicles will be playable similar to ground heroes (Millennium Falcon confirmed)
  • Power-ups will be a loadout option for the player (Deployable shields are confirmed)
  • Pick-ups will be placed on the maps (Rocket Launchers confirmed)
  • Jet packs are returning
  • Blasters will feature a cooldown mechanic instead of the typical ammo system
  • Reports seem to be mixed regarding an aim-down-sight feature in first-person
  • Reports say the class system has been replaced by character and loadout customization
  • A progression system will be available for unlocking new customization options
  • Players can team up via a partner system to spawn near each other and share progression unlocks
  • Reports say the HUD is minimalistic with map in lower-left corner and shields/grenades/weapons in lower-right
  • Reports say that players will have the ability to sprint
  • Reports say that 3rd-person view is off-centered and over-the-shoulder

Tie-in novel has been confirmed

Eolz

Nice recap!
You should also say that the deluxe edition will be digital only in Europe (really disappointed by that choice).

curb

Banned
Poor attempt at joke...

All Terrain-Scout Transport

To be honest, it wasn't really an attempt at anything.

So AT-AT is All Terrain Armored Transport (thank you Google). I'm really surprised I that I didn't know they stood for something.

MattyG

Banned
Okay guys, I need help finding an old Star Wars game I played once. I went through the list of Star Wars games on wikipedia and can't find it. Here's what I remember and know for sure:

-It was on PS1
-It came on multiple discs
-It was third person and vehicle based (though I believe there was a mission where you controlled a mouse Droid or something?)
-The cover may have had Stormtroopers on it
-It was 100% original trilogy based
-There was a missions where you had to fly the Millennium Falcon out of the Second Death Star before it blew

It's so weird, I vividly remember buying it at Blockbuster and playing it when I was about 6 or 7, but I can't find anything about it anywhere.

Help me GAF, you're my only hope.

Calcium

Banned
Okay guys, I need help finding an old Star Wars game I played once.

Rebel Assault 2? That's about the closest thing I can think of to your description.

Edit: Nevermind, I think the Millenium Falcon section in that game was through a mining facility or something. Not quite as epic as escaping the second Death Star.

hydruxo

I don't see this one in the OP:

9369_front.jpg

I found my copy of it the other day and I'd completely forgotten about this game lol

MattyG

Banned
Rebel Assault 2? That's about the closest thing I can think of to your description.

Edit: Nevermind, I think the Millenium Falcon section in that game was through a mining facility or something. Not quite as epic as escaping the second Death Star.
Oh shit, that is it. This is the mouse droid thing I remembered. And the Millenium Falcon mission looks similar to what I remember, but I could've sworn it was the Second Death Star. I have absolutely no memory of the on foot sections or the in cockpit X-Wing sections though, and the cover looks different from what I remember. Still, that's definitely it. Thanks!

I don't see this one in the OP:

9369_front.jpg

I found my copy of it the other day and I'd completely forgotten about this game lol
I think I still have my copy of this somewhere. I never got past the first couple missions. Was this the one where you could jump into a fan in the first level and get chopped into bits, or was that The Phantom Menace? EDIT: Nevermind, Just looked it up, it was TPM.

JDHarbs

Okay guys, I need help finding an old Star Wars game I played once. I went through the list of Star Wars games on wikipedia and can't find it. Here's what I remember and know for sure:

-It was on PS1
-It came on multiple discs
-It was third person and vehicle based (though I believe there was a mission where you controlled a mouse Droid or something?)
-The cover may have had Stormtroopers on it
-It was 100% original trilogy based
-There was a missions where you had to fly the Millennium Falcon out of the Second Death Star before it blew

It's so weird, I vividly remember buying it at Blockbuster and playing it when I was about 6 or 7, but I can't find anything about it anywhere.

Help me GAF, you're my only hope.

I think MattyG does mean Rebel Assault 2 and is just misremembering some things about it.

I had the game, and it came on multiple discs for the PS1. It was an on-rails shooter with varying gameplay for each level. Some were vehicle-controlled sections and others were cover-based light-gun sections.

The Falcon sequence was out of a manufacturing facility for a new type of TIE Fighter called Phantom TIEs

The Death Star droid was actual the opening credits sequence for the game and not playable.

PS1%20Rebel%20Assault%202.JPG

410211-star-wars-rebel-assault-ii-the-hidden-empire-playstation-screenshot.jpg

410217-star-wars-rebel-assault-ii-the-hidden-empire-playstation-screenshot.jpg

Edit: beaten

Calcium

Banned
Ah, memories. I remember just playing up to the point where I could control the Falcon (3 levels in, if memory serves) and just going until I died, constantly trying to perfect flying through that damn tunnel. I got pretty good at it, but man those controls were sensitive as hell.

Oh shit, that is it. This is the mouse droid thing I remembered. And the Millenium Falcon mission looks similar to what I remember, but I could've sworn it was the Second Death Star. I have absolutely no memory of the on foot sections or the in cockpit X-Wing sections though, and the cover looks different from what I remember. Still, that's definitely it. Thanks!.

Ah, cool. I thought Rebel Assault 2 hit most of your bullet points. I know when I was a kid I was certainly guilty of pretending that mining tunnel was actually the second Death Star escape sequence from ROTJ, maybe you did the same thing.

Galatic battlegrounds
Dark forces 2
Battlefront

Really good games...remember playing them when i was younger really nostalgic

Also excited for battlefront 3

Galdius

Last sunday I finished Star Wars: Rogue Squadron for the first time on the N64 even though I own it since I was a child. The game is really good and has aged very well. I always read that it isn't a easy game but some of the later mission surprised me. I wasn't expecting them to be that hard. Anyway, great game. Now I will play Star Wars: Battle for Naboo also on the N64. Is it as good as Rogue Squadron?

Eolz

Last sunday I finished Star Wars: Rogue Squadron for the first time on the N64 even though I own it since I was a child. The game is really good and has aged very well. I always read that it isn't a easy game but some of the later mission surprised me. I wasn't expecting them to be that hard. Anyway, great game. Now I will play Star Wars: Battle for Naboo also on the N64. Is it as good as Rogue Squadron?

Far from it imo. Same for the "Starfighter" games.
Rogue leader is the obvious next step
on GC or emulated

I would love a next gen Star Wars: Republic Commando!

Same. EA could easily make one too.

Eolz

Is it bad or just not as good as Rogue Squadron?

It's not a "bad" game and certainly worth playing if you like the genre and setting, just not as interesting and as well made. Felt like a quick adaptation lacking what made RS so great.
No idea which version is the best though.

MattyG

Banned
What do you guys think the chances are of us seeing Visceral's Star Wars game at E3? If we see it, will that and Battlefront be the only Star Wars games there, or do you think EA is going to capitalize on the Force Awakens hype and have 3 or 4 there?

Andodalf

Banned
What do you guys think the chances are of us seeing Visceral's Star Wars game at E3? If we see it, will that and Battlefront be the only Star Wars games there, or do you think EA is going to capitalize on the Force Awakens hype and have 3 or 4 there?

I wouldn't be surprised if they were making a a rogue one game, which can't be hyped till rogue one is hyped.

JDHarbs

I think the focus will be on Battlefront at E3, but I could see a teaser for Amy's game happening. Technically, it hasn't been officially announced yet so it would make sense. I don't expect to see a lineup of Star Wars games being announced all at once. I think one game per year would work best for them. Otherwise, EA would be pushing too many of their studios away from their own franchises in lieu of making Star Wars games. They've got the brand for 10 years so they can take their time.

REDSLATE

Nice, man. I bought this two years ago and blew through it only to get stuck on the second-to-last level (Y-Wing Bombing the volcanic base). I may buy an Expansion Pak at some point to finish it (need that extra draw-distance), but I'll definitely be getting it from GOG when it goes on sale.

Galdius

Nice, man. I bought this two years ago and blew through it only to get stuck on the second-to-last level (Y-Wing Bombing the volcanic base). I may buy an Expansion Pak at some point to finish it (need that extra draw-distance), but I'll definitely be getting it from GOG when it goes on sale.

That mission is very hard. I found it easier when I increased my tv's brightness. It really helped to see the long distance better. I hate the Y-Wing, I don't think it is a good ship to control and it isn't very powerful.

JDHarbs

Finished up Episode 1 Racer again last night. First time I've replayed it since I was a kid and I'm really surprised at just how well it holds up today. It gets lots of praise here on GAF, but it still feels criminally underrated because it's a racing game.

I never noticed before (or just don't remember) just how much the game focuses on tuning in order to win. Most racing games could have the player muscle their way through every race solely on their driving skills, but this one demands you to tweak your vehicle for some tracks, or you'll get left in the dust or never be able to make certain jumps/turns.

The difficulty curve is perfection too. The tracks would get increasingly difficult, but at a steady pace and never introduced too many new concepts on one track. I never had to go back and replay older tracks either to get the extra credits I needed to upgrade my pod to win a race. All I had to do was tweak it enough with what I had and it would always be enough. Outdated graphics aside, its still visually impressive and the tracks feel more alive than any other racing game I've played lately.

EA, where's my Criterion pod racing
VR
game?

Galdius

I have just finished Star Wars: Battle for Naboo on the N64.
It was a fun game but not as good as Rogue Squadron. I would have enjoyed it more if there were more space mission. A large portion of the game consisted of ground mission using some vehicles that I thought weren't as fun as the mission that could use the ships. Anyway, the game looks better than Rogue Squadron and it is a bit easier although there are some missions that I died more than I wished. The last mission is very fun to play but a bit hard. Here is one pic that I took on one of the mission that I thought looked good:

zL4pmBQl.jpg

Pinktaco

Uh.. I remember how my older brother had a star wars game back on his N64. I can't remember the name of it, but I really Mike it back then. It had a couple of flying missions and some others TPS missions. Some years ago I discovered that it hadn't been received that well. Childhood memories of games are the best :D

Galdius

Uh.. I remember how my older brother had a star wars game back on his N64. I can't remember the name of it, but I really Mike it back then. It had a couple of flying missions and some others TPS missions. Some years ago I discovered that it hadn't been received that well. Childhood memories of games are the best :D

It was Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire.

SOTE-N64.png
526766602f24f.jpeg

I started playing it last year but I never finished it. I should go back to finally beat it some time this year. It was a nice game but it was nothing special in my opinion.

SOTE-N64.png
526766602f24f.jpeg

I started playing it last year but I never finished it. I should go back to finally beat it some time this year. It was a nice game but it was nothing special in my opinion.

I played this on PC. If I remember correctly the controls were incredibly unintuitive. I can't imagine playing it on a N64 controller. lol

REDSLATE

It's a good game, but the controls are a bit wonky. There's a decent story behind it as well.

I always loved/hated the jetpack. Such a cool concept and implementation, but god damn the controls (try flying and shooting knowing that in order to aim up/down you have to stop and press the Z button). The missions in which you pilot aircraft (especially the Outrider) were always my favorite parts, and you can thank these sections for the ultimate creation of the Rogue Squadron series.

Those going back and playing it now will likely find it a bit dated as this game utilizes the old school "Lives" mechanic (no checkpoints). The graphics aren't too bad, and the audio is great. The game's main theme is an unused track from Empire and much of the rest of the background music also comes from this film. It really sets up the mood and atmosphere of this game.

Nudull

Banned
Forgot to mention, I picked up Rogue Squadron on GOG. As someone who's wanted to play this game my entire life, it's nice to finally have closure.

JDHarbs

people still play BF2 online?
There is usually only a couple of servers at most with enough players to get good matches going. At least through GameMaster. GameRaner might be more popular considering that workaround got a lot of attention from the media when the GameSpy servers went down.

curb

Banned
With all the Star Wars hype going on, I ended up watching through Clone Wars again. As I result, I've ended up playing some the PSP version of Republic Heroes on my Vita. I think my love for the source material is making this mediocre game more palatable but I've actually been enjoying it. It feels kinda like a lost episode arc they turned into a game. I'd never recommend it to anyone but it's been fun to me so far.

It just reminds me of how much I want a new Jedi-centric games. Perhaps something closer to the Jedi Knight games. I think I'd love a more open-ended game where you play as a pre-prequel Jedi dispatched to an unstable area and tasked with bringing order. Also makes me hope that the Visceral game is good. *crosses fingers*

Top Bottom